Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Let It Flow

• Start Topic

Sam--I am with the poster above who said his remarks about the scarf and the convertible brought up images of Isadora Duncan and not in a good way.  Maybe he is too young to know the story.

He likes to call people out on his blog for not being educated enough about fashion history, so I'm going to say he does know and he thinks he's being edgy.

Manufactured "conflict"?  Check.

Producer-influenced rather than accurate judging?  Check.

Both of the above are things that PR Juniors avoided and that have become addictions to the producers of Original-Flavor PR and PR All-Stars.  It's why PR Junior was 100,000 times better than other recent PR seasons and more recalled why a lot of us started watching PR in the first place.

Tonight, for example, we get the whole Sam and Mitchell bickering thing.  Producers, seriously, it's like you're on heroin.  Nobody cares.  Please, please, just stop it.

And yes, we all get that Mitchell wasn't on the bottom-- and properly eliminated for a godawful, lazy dress that made Fade's look like golden-age Christian Siriano by comparison-- because Mitchell's sole purpose on the show is not design, but commentary and conflict.  Just as on his own season, he's an objectively terrible designer with no business whatsoever on PR if it has any credibility. 

We get it.  Someone on the PR staff has the I.Q. of a turnip and thinks Mitchell is great tv.  But he's not.  He's not funny, he's not interesting, and he's a bad, bad designer.  Please PR producers.  Check into Betty Ford or something.  We don't need this kind of crap anymore.  Please get help.

• Love 13

The judges are definitely smoking the crack that Nina Garcia left behind last season, tucked under her seat cushion.  

I have complained for several seasons that the producers need to up the budget for whatever the judges smoke/inject/imbibe.  At least (so far) they haven't sunk to the level of doling out on "real" PR whatever the judges on Under the Gunn were on.  

I felt Daniel's should have been on the bottom and that he should have gone home.  Even better, that he had gone home last week.  Fade has ideas that don't always translate well into his garments, but which sometimes produce fascinating results.  Does anybody think Mitchell or Daniel will do as much?  Dumb, dumb.  

• Love 4

The chance that any of those dresses will be worn in a wind machine conditions is pretty slim, so what is the point. Flowing chiffon. Meh. Kind of reminded me of curtains billowing in the wind.

I had no missed who the guest judge was during the introductions, but boy did she make me miss Dmitri. She added nothing of value. No one looked particulary thrilled that she would wear the winner's design.  

• Love 5

I liked Sam's dress, but I still think construction is important and he really failed in that regard.  Can't stand him though.

I could see Florence Welch wearing Stella's dress.

I don't understand why Emily wasn't sent home because that outfit was atrocious.   Have to say that her personal style really turns me off.  I'm not against vibrant hair colors or tattoos, etc., but I think she is just too much. 

At least Kini stayed away from the denim this week, but I wasn't crazy about his look.  The lace didn't jive and while I appreciate his custom color work, I thought it looked like a tequila sunrise or a pinata.

Fade deserved to stay.  His look wasn't the best, but not the worst either.

Alexander's cape was all fine and good, but that lace horror of a dress was ridiculous. 

I hope Dom's model has had that facial mole checked out by a good dermatologist.

If the first two episodes are an accurate gauge things don't bode well for the rest of this season.

• Love 2

I suppose the garments could fall under the heading of "Cruise Wear".  You get a pretty nice  breeze up on the Lido deck when you strike a pose, waiting for Isaac the bartender to bring you a Mai Tai, and Julie the Cruise Director gives you your shore itinerary for when you dock in Cabo.  Gopher will simply gaze at you admiringly.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

The chance that any of those dresses will be worn in a wind machine conditions is pretty slim, so what is the point. Flowing chiffon. Meh. Kind of reminded me of curtains billowing in the wind.

I had no missed who the guest judge was during the introductions, but boy did she make me miss Dmitri. She added nothing of value. No one looked particulary thrilled that she would wear the winner's design.  

She's a complete idiot - she and her boyfriend posted pix of themselves in Sedona where they have CARVED their names into the red rocks.  Yes, these entitled asshats actually graffitied that beautiful place and bragged about it..  Obviously, just another brain dead celeb with no opinions of her own - she just riffed off the other judges.  

• Love 3

I suppose the garments could fall under the heading of "Cruise Wear".  You get a pretty nice  breeze up on the Lido deck when you strike a pose, waiting for Isaac the bartender to bring you a Mai Tai, and Julie the Cruise Director gives you your shore itinerary for when you dock in Cabo.  Gopher will simply gaze at you admiringly.  

And honestly, that is all you're going to get on a challenge when you talk about a wind machine and "motion."  You're not going to get anything thoughtful you're just going to get a bunch of stuff that is lightweight fabric.  They mostly looked like something you would see on a 90's rap video on a yacht so that you could get some cool looks in slow mo.

• Love 4

all I could think about was how Isadora Duncan died

That was my reaction exactly. Not a good association.

I have to agree with so many who did not care for Kini's black belt addition. It just seemed incongruent, like a winter sportswear accessory stuck on. I didn't care much for the lace, but not to the same extent of dislike as for the belt.

The minute that Mitchell's outfit showed up on the runway, I hated it on sight. 

Although most love Alexander's cape, it was a little too much alike a parachute for my liking, and seemed at odds with the excesses of the dress.

I suspect that for every new episode I am going to be wondering what the Juniors would have done with it (besides making the workroom scenes much more pleasant).

• Love 1

I liked Fade's dress. I usually like Fade's work. I liked the contrast between flowy top and heavy skirt and collar. I thought it was way more interesting than the many flowey ponchos. I also liked Valerie's, which was sort of boring, yes, if you don't have a union guy following you around with a wind machine. But it looked the most like a plausible dress that a real person might wear out in the real world. In other words - they weren't costumes.

We didn't get enough of a good look at Daniel's piece but I thought it seemed like stealth fug.

Sam is annoying and should own his shit but his fabric choice was smart.

"Take the pom-pom off your hat" is a good bit of life-advice, Mitchell. Also, you're too old to care what Sam thinks about you.

Stella - I did like that she didn't just make a parachute (Alexander) but I thought the fringe wasn't enough.

I liked Aisha's head wrap more than her dress. Quite a lot of designers had no idea and just made a dress and drapped fabric over it.

Ken had a weird shoulder situation going on. I couldn't tell if I liked it.

Kini's Mai Tai was pretty but it wasn't much of a garment.

• Love 2

Can we have Project Runway SENIOR please (I want Survivor Seniors to BYW) Only people over 50 could judge or be contestants.Maybe the "old" wouldn't be the kiss of death. Because apparently once your past 40 you must hid in your house as there are NO clothes for you! ARRRGGGHHHHHH

They'd have to call it "Mature" or something (I think Senior would just be too much of a leap for them), but I love this idea!  Another thought is that maybe only people over 50 could judge or MODEL, but there could be contestants of any age. There might be 30 year old designers out there who do a great job designing clothes for an older market.  I think it would be great to see models in this age range showing off the clothes designed specifically for them.

• Love 4

Alyssa, please note that if you have hips and you happen to be on the short side of tall, front pleated shorts with pockets will look terrible on you.

Does Alexander wear face makeup or is he just extremely pale? I'm not making fun at all, it's a serious question. I'm just curious. As for his dress, I wasn't a fan, but interesting to note that all the Starlets are wearing butt-ugly sheer dresses with underwear/bathing suit like garments underneath. It looked very similar and without the billowing cape (complete with wrist straps to keep it billowing properly), I could see someone wearing it. Still not a fan of that though. I like my clothes to be opaque, thank you very much.

Wasn't a fan of Valerie's dress. I was confused as to why it was in the top.

Shut up Sam. Ugh.

I'm 39 and would love Project Senior/Mature! This concept of all clothes having to being "youthful" is offensive and ageist. Nothing wrong with a mature style. It can be really beautiful. I want mature clothes! I'm tired of every shirt being so sheer and flimsy you have to wear a top underneath it (getting off topic lol).

• Love 5

RE: the "blindness" of the runway judging: I have it on excellent authority that the judges watch the runway show without the contestants present first and then bring them back for a second walk to be filmed for the show.

I was assuming it meant the judges were blindfolded during the runway which explained the top and bottom looks.

• Love 18

The guest judge was actress/singer Vanessa Hudgens, whose big break was in Disney's High School Musical. She just played Rizzo in Fox's live production of Grease that aired at the end of January (& she did so the day after her dad died after a long bout with Stage 4 Cancer; her individual performance, & the show itself, was dedicated to his memory).

Edited by BW Manilowe

Alyssa, please note that if you have hips and you happen to be on the short side of tall, front pleated shorts with pockets will look terrible on you.

I forgot to mention Alyssa's little turtleneck/awkward shorts/ stilleto booties outfit. I can only assume that everyone on the show hates her and she has no friends, because oh, honey .....

• Love 5

Why do they put Alyssa in those heels? She cannot walk in them! Its so awkward, it looks like she was wheeled out on a two wheeler and placed on stage. when she goes to exit she picks her way like a 90 year old woman with a bad hip. Alyssa, honey, fire your stylist. He/she hates you. 

• Love 2

Well, these people put themselves on this show. They all know what it is like.  And clearly they don't feel it is beneath them because there they are.  They are either thinking they could win, or that the exposure will be good for their career.  I see no evidence that anyone was kidnapped and forced on the program. And I'm rather torn on the quality issue.  For one thing, they are never really given adequate time to do what they are asked (but, again, they know this is going to happen)

I agree with this and thank you for posting.

It's looking like the producers are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. The show(s) have lost their cache and are yesterday's news, treading water and hoping to continue revenue for the producers and various people involved. With the exception of Dmitry and maybe a couple others, the contestants seem like also-rans and second-raters hoping to get either lucky or noticed in a difficult and cut-throat profession. Dmitry now has 2 prize packages to do with as he wants and seems to have the brains and personality to run with them.

The decision to bring back the second and third string, lessen the work time and money for materials plus the obvious mix of nasty and weak personalities seems pretty calculated for drama and not the actual design and fashion most people tune in for. I think it's a poor and cynical choice. Design and fashion schools are filled with genuine talent, its' unfortunate that--for whatever reasons or laziness--aren't being tapped to make the show interesting. It looks to me like the show has devolved into a case of 'shoulda/woulda/coulda'.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3
It's looking like the producers are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

There is something seriously janky when an "all-star" comes on this show, wins the first round, and is amazed because she's never won a challenge before. If you've never won anything before, not even ONE challenge, how the heck are you an all -star? The bar is so low, it's on the floor.

• Love 14

Does alyssa own a mirror? Preferably a full length one...I'm no fashionista but I'm not hosting a fashion show either...I gave her a break when she was expecting but geez louise she looks like crap.

A 200 buck budget? Fabric goes from 10.00 a yard on  up and the ones there using are way more. Even a dang zipper is 5 bucks. No wonder Kinis pale yellow looked cheap. It was!

I really don't know why they can't give them enough time and money like original recipe did. This show is so sad now. Lifetime didn't give it life...They killed it. 

I agree with this and thank you for posting.

It's looking like the producers are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. The show(s) have lost their cache and are yesterday's news, treading water and hoping to continue revenue for the producers and various people involved. With the exception of Dmitry and maybe a couple others, the contestants seem like also-rans and second-raters hoping to get either lucky or noticed in a difficult and cut-throat profession. Dmitry now has 2 prize packages to do with as he wants and seems to have the brains and personality to run with them.

The decision to bring back the second and third string, lessen the work time and money for materials plus the obvious mix of nasty and weak personalities seems pretty calculated for drama and not the actual design and fashion most people tune in for. I think it's a poor and cynical choice. Design and fashion schools are filled with genuine talent, its' unfortunate that--for whatever reasons or laziness--aren't being tapped to make the show interesting. It looks to me like the show has devolved into a case of 'shoulda/woulda/coulda'.

I'm truly wondering if talented young designers really want to go on this show anymore.  I think its more a liability than anything else.  When I put myself in the shoes of a very talented and young designer considering project runway I would think

Pros

1. exposure

2. potentially winning a lot of money

3. getting to meet influential people in the world of fashion

4. the potential for mass popularity

Cons

1. only a day to product a garment

2. the entire world has to see the crap I can only produce in 6 hours

3. the world is going to judge me on the shitty outfit I make in 6 hours

4. the potential that I'm going to have a mental breakdown or lose my temper on TV and be the villain

5. the rest of my fashion career I'm either known as that girl who made the shitty outfit or that bitch who lost her temper after having 6 hours to make an outfit.

6. the judges aren't all that respected

7. I don't really get to meet people that are influential in the world of fashion

8. The lexus is only a lease

9. heaps of stress

10. trying not to bust out laughing every time I see Alyssa's outfit

I just think for a young designer the cons so outweigh the pros at this point.  For a super talented designer just out of school, they may just prefer to go the traditional route at this point

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 7

I've decided to DVR this show so I can FF through the silly drama's between Sam and Mitchell and everyone else who didn't watch P.R. Junior and take note on how to act like a mature adult.

I'm in the agreement that Alyssa's stylist must really hate her too. Ugh!

• Love 1

Alyssa's hideous, bizzare runway look, seemingly chosen to make her appear as short and wide as possible, was certainly a low-point this week.  Maybe there should be a challenge where the designers make a new outfit for Alyssa to wear on an upcoming episode.  I'm sure they could do better then this and the 'disco ball' outfits of last season.

Most of these looks did suck, and did almost nothing with the wind.  I really thought Emily's look was going to be great at the start of the episode, but then it turned into this flimsy little thing.  More of a shawl then a caftan.    I'm glad Sam won, his dress was great, I like Sam, he's cute. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

I'm surprised and impressed by the support for Fade.  He seems like a cool person, sure.  But I've always thought he had questionable taste.  No, not questionable: just bad.  Tacky.  In fact, when they were eliminating him, I thought it was kind of cruel for them to have brought him on to begin with, just to round out the numbers and be quick roadkill.  But I guess he's not so obviously subpar compared to the others, according to many of you.  Interesting!

• Love 1

I'm surprised and impressed by the support for Fade.  He seems like a cool person, sure.  But I've always thought he had questionable taste.  No, not questionable: just bad.  Tacky.  In fact, when they were eliminating him, I thought it was kind of cruel for them to have brought him on to begin with, just to round out the numbers and be quick roadkill.  But I guess he's not so obviously subpar compared to the others, according to many of you.  Interesting!

I wouldn't wear his clothing, but I also don't think he is tacky.  Quite the opposite.  I find his clothing to be thoughtful, so much more beyond the standard "you're such a fierce bitch!  give me some dynasty realness" that seems standard on the show.

• Love 7

I don't see his clothing as tacky either (and, no, I wouldn't wear it but I'm not really the right physical type or age).   It is probably not red carpet kind of stuff.   I think of it as urban street wear, somehow: provocative, edgy, independent.  Everything Project Runway is not. 

Especially not Project Runway: All Stars. The judges on this show make Nina, Heidi, and Zac look forward-thinking by comparison.

fäde was one of the more interesting designers this season, but I almost think it's for the best he was relieved of this early on. The judges knew who their winner would be when the cast was selected; for everyone else, this is an exercise in futility. 

• Love 2

I've been following Sam's blog since Tom and Lorenzo basically turned their backs on PR.  [Maybe TLo have turned back, but once they said they were going to stop blogging PR episodes, I stopped visiting...]  Sam provided witty commentary and lots of opinions about each week's episode of PR, which made his blog an easy visit after episodes aired.   Anyways, Sam usually has a good critique of each episode and I tend to agree with his weekly rankings.   Meanwhile, I thought Mitchell's pompom hat was kind of cute.  Maybe a little twee, but also slightly adorable.  It was cuter than Victor's pompom hat from Season 3 of All Stars, the cocktail drink/dress episode...  So I don't know whose side I'm on.  (Actually, I'm on Stella's side, always!)

• Love 1

The judges knew who their winner would be when the cast was selected; for everyone else, this is an exercise in futility. 

Who do you think the winner is?  I'm not seeing it quite yet so I was just curious. I"m also not spoiled so if you are, please ignore my question. :)

• Love 1

Sam deserved the win, IMO, but he is on my last nerve, and it's only the second episode. Was he late for the runway, because it appeared that he forgot to put on pants. (It's actually a recurring nightmare that I have that I will someday do just that.)

Since they didn't eliminate anyone last week, this would have been the perfect opportunity for a double elimination!

I enjoyed Vanessa's Hudgen's feedback: "I like butterflies. That's why I have a butterfly tattoo." Of course, you do, honey, as does every other girl your age, and some older; I'm looking at you, Ms. Milano.

Isaac was on the right track about Alexander's costume. It would have worked for any number of super-heroines/villainesses on  TV currently. There really ought to be a show that specializes in designing some of those clothes. Stella could clean up.

Georgina is still gorgeous.

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 2

I loved Kini's dress because of the colors and how it resembled a sunset. I thought he did a really good job and so did Sam, although I do agree that the print pretty much did all the work for him. I don't mind Sam, but I can already see that with his win, his ego will expand even more by next week's challenge.

For a minute there, I thought that Valerie's dress was going to be in the bottom because I thought that the judges would think it was too safe despite the color.

I don't think I ever liked any of Emily's designs on her season of Project Runway and I definitely don't on this season of All-Stars either. Fade's losing design wasn't great, but Emily's probably warranted an elimination more than his did.

• Love 2

There is something seriously janky when an "all-star" comes on this show, wins the first round, and is amazed because she's never won a challenge before. If you've never won anything before, not even ONE challenge, how the heck are you an all -star? The bar is so low, it's on the floor.

Jay Carol was the winner of season one and never won a challenge.  All Stars just means designers who have been on before.  The word stars is used loosely on reality TV (DWTS)!  

I was sorry to see Fade go.  I think this challenge was in the editorial category and not meant to be worn.  Just something different for fun and better than children's dresses (dolls included) or mothers of the contestants (biggest disaster!). 

Who do you think the winner is?  I'm not seeing it quite yet so I was just curious. I"m also not spoiled so if you are, please ignore my question. :)

I fully expect Dom to win. Like previous All Stars champs, she was a fan favorite during her original season, and I don't think it's a coincidence that previous winners have won each season they've participated in. It's a way to validate past judging decisions and make the winners, often perceived as unsuccessful, look more accomplished. I'm sure the network would also like to crown a woman for once. 

If anyone can beat her, it's Kini.

• Love 1

Yuck, yuck, yuck. What was that? There were some ugly outfits in the middle, Fade and Emily should never have been in the bottom 2, their´s were bad but compared to some of the "designers" that didn´t even get a critique, neither of them deserved to go home first. Especially not Fade. Somehow this proves that he´s way above the crap that the judges like. I hope I´ll stick to my guns and not watch again...

If I was a judge, I´d have put last week´s bottom 2 in the bottom 2 again this week, and let Fade or Emily slide by as bottom 3. I liked Dom´s, Kini´s and Valerie´s/Sam´s the best, and I even liked Fade´s but I knew he would be in the bottom because the whole thing wasn´t flowing all over the place SMH.

Edited by halkatla

Sam picked a good print and made use of it. Aside from that his dress was generic. The fabric won for him.

^^^This!

Sam only won because of his fabric choice.  If that same dress had been made in a solid color, it wouldn't have received raves.  He reaped the rewards of the fabric's designer, not his own skills.  His design practically sewed itself with his fabric choice.

I would have had Emily & Mitchell in the bottom 2 and sent Mitchell home.  2 weeks in a row of poor execution for Mitchell.  Emily deserved the boot over Fade.  I don't care if the judges didn't like the color combo, at least Fade's was well-made. Emily's was a hot mess.

I *really* do not like Sam.  He is so vapid & vacuous.  Definitely a "mean girl"!

• Love 1

Why oh why did they bring back these hacks? Daniel FRANCO?? Again? They're not even trying to pretend they aren't just shit stirring at this point--bringing back minimally talented but hot tempered Ken, Auntie Mame's designer Alexander, three time loser Daniel, poisonous Sam, whiny tender reed Mitchell, nasty mean spirited Asha....the list goes on. The only person I was interested in seeing was Fade. I'd be glad to see Malan Breton, Jack Mackenroth, that nice girl Becky who was tormented by Orange Josh, lovable if a little crazy Ping, the girl who cancelled her wedding and was axed before she even got on, the cute girl from Minneapolis who lost in the dog challenge in season 3, Epperson, Peach Carr, Carmen Webber; there are so many people who just maybe had bad luck and were more interesting than this crew of losers.

I love Malan.  He is truly a sweet spirit.  I actually bought one of his purses back in 2008 (only thing I could afford from his site...LOL).  I just loved his back story and always wanted him to get another chance.  Would love to have an Allstars with contestants who were kind, positive & supportive.  It would be <gasp> like PR Junior :)  Isn't it sad that the kids were better than some of the adults on this show?  And more mature (Sam, I'm looking at you...)

• Love 1

Count me in with the horror at what "older" people should wear. I'm 39, and the stuff in stores for females is appalling. It is either the teenage ho dept., or the Muffy Goes To Tea Crowd dept. I hate them both. I'm too old for see through t-shirts, and I wouldn't wear some of the matronly prints out there if you paid me. I don't know who is designing and marketing that stuff, but they are way out of touch with reality.

I know I highlighted an OT section, but I wanted to chime in and say we're the same age. I hear you about the lack of clothing options that veer toward the extreme in either direction.

Edited by Surrealist
(edited)

I could see Florence Welch wearing Stella's dress.

Right, and that's a very good thing IMO.  I'm also a big Stevie Nicks fan.

My only contribution here is that I wanted to say that I really enjoyed Stella's look and that any celebrity would be happy to wear that to the Costume MET ball and it was fabulous.  Great for a concert or gala like that.  I was never a fan of Stella's in her season but she was ahead of the class this episode.  That's all I got.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Hated that Fade was sent home. I do think Emily deserved it

Sam's dress was great - but Sam sucks so bad. I can't stand him or his buddy Asha from Under the Gun - yuck

I really like Ken and Valerie's designs so far. I liked Kini but somehow he always chokes up and does something stupid like the black belt