Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Season 6, Episode 7

The guy writing notes outside the B&B did, indeed, seem like an early Michelin spy. I can't imagine what else he could have been doing, other than taking note that they breakfasts were coming from offsite?

Mrs. Patmore was so pleased and impressed that one of her first customers was a doctor, a man of quality, so perhaps the doctor is actually having an affair and the spy was a private detective hired by his wife? Or perhaps a scandal-monger who will print photos and a story that gives the B&B a shady reputation.

Baxter congratulating Anna was so cute. I've wanted them to be friends for forever. Where are my Molesley/Baxter Anna/Bates double dates???

Yeah, when are Anna and Bates going to have Molesley and Baxter over for a dinner, since it was the Maxter Detective Agency that saved Anna from the noose?

I fell over laughing when Henry strode toward the lineup to start the race. With his head-cover thing on he looked like a walking condom.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 7

How modern of Mary to break up over the telephone

At least it wasn't on a Post-it, eh?  

You know, I hesitate to say Matthew Goode is stinko on here, cuz I know how good & appealing he's been elsewhere.  But sheesh, I'm soooooo bored to death by his scenes & the lack of ANY chemistry between him & Mary.  And his declarations of love sound so forced & gold-diggerish to me.  If boring Edith's dull love scenes with boring Bertie are more exciting than ANYTHING going on with Mary & Matthew Goode, then something's wrong.

Wow, first ep I didn't wanna smack the crap outta Daisy.

So no more bedroom get-togethers for Barrow & Downton's ONLY young sorta hot guy?  Wowza, first the non-stop jabs at Barrow that he'd better find another gig lickety-split & now this.  I think Fellowes is really being quite cruel to Barrow.  And this is coming from someone who completely can't stand Barrow & feels absolutely no pity for him.  But still, JF, why the relentless cruelty toward Barrow?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 7

I can see Tom coming back to Downton because he realized that it was where his family is now, and more importantly, where Sybbie's family is. I think he and Mary have good chemistry, but I also suspect that part of that may be due to the actors' close friendship in real life, what with her late fiance being a close friend of his that he introduced her to.

Evil Butler will always be my favorite character and in the fan fiction in my brain, he's swooped up by some equally devious American lesbian heiress who wants a good looking beard and they live out their days in genial companionship, living it up in New York with their secret side pieces and occasional visits to Downton to lord his elevated state over everyone.

• Love 8

As for ms. Crookshank... It makes loads more sense that a nasty piece of work like Larry grey would fall for a manipulative cool kitten than like the bully in the Ethel story have a kind wife. MOST often like attracts like.

That was an unpleasant scene & I wished Dowager/Maggie had crushed that evil witch more.  I figured something was up with her last ep.  Well, it's nice to see Larry get stuck with exactly the kind of gal he deserves to get stuck with.  

Not seeing why this would motivate Mrs. Crawley to get involved with Dickie again.  She blew him off pretty quickly & seems to have happily moved on with zero regrets.  Besides, if she did get back with Dickie, she'd still have to deal with the other crap son, who doesn't have a horrible wife -- well, at least not yet, unless Crookshank has an equally evil & ambitious sister/friend she can pass off to the crap brother to marry.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3

I thought it was a bit naff of Violet to suggest that Isobel needed to "save" Dickie from the awful daughter-in-law by marrying him. That girl was a nasty piece of work, but what a mess that would be! Marrying a man and knowing your DIL was wishing your spouse, her FIL, dead and out of the great house so it could be "hers" -- and of course she would want to shove his widow out of the way the minute the body was underground. More shades of Jane Austen! 

Isobel is happy enough as she is, and if she really wants male companionship then Dr. Clarkson would probably be quite happy to do the job.

• Love 6

Just why was Daisy so sunny this week after being so consistently full of bile? I don't get it.

Baxter seemed inexplicably light-hearted as well.

It's almost like Fellowes suddenly realized he only had three episodes left and needed to get busy if everyone was going to have a happy ending.

• Love 1

Fellowes did say he would not kill her character but rather send her off to some villa abroad. True talk.

There couldn't be a wedding or weddings without her, unless Maggie Smith had another work commitment by that point.

Molesley's happy ending is worth some of the slapstick crap in earlier seasons with him that we had to sit through. (Yes, some of it was funny, but it got tiring and wasted time.)

I was hoping the racers would somehow be able to mow downs Denker and Spratt.

• Love 7

I loved Violet's smackdown of Miss Cruiickshank.  The girl was good but far from being in Violet's league.    She was selfish and conniving but I do think it's the best solution in the end. As Violet said, would Isobel really want to leave Lord Merton to the kindnesses of Larry and his new wife?

Why would Violet give Robert a dog if she was so angry at him and Cora?  The staff were all for keeping the untrained puppy downstairs and when Robert said that no, the puppy would be coming upstairs, I thought "yeah, but you won't be cleaning up the messes."

I think if Isobel wanted to marry Dr. Clarkson, she would have done it years ago.

If Molesley leaves to teach, doesn't that mean they could keep Barrow on?  Granted he's an underbutler and not a footman but would the Granthams really kick Barrow out and then hire someone new?  I know Carson would in a heartbeat but would Robert?

For the first time, I liked Mary. Her conversation with Henry after the crash was sweet and caring.  And then she reverted back to her normal self.

Bertie's proposal was sweet.  Since it was to Edith,  I see tragedy in the future.

When the man was taking down the information about Mrs. Patmore's bed and breakfast, I thought he was with the Rules and Regulations people and she was going to get into trouble for having an unauthorized establishment.

The real stars of the episode for me were the costumes, especially Isobel's and Violet's visiting clothes. So gorgeous.

• Love 4

Why would Violet give Robert a dog if she was so angry at him and Cora?

I figured out it was a puppy before they went downstairs but I assumed it was going to be an Irish Wolfhound or Great Dane or some other HUGE breed that Cora would have to learn to live with.  But no -- another yellow lab.  Violet missed an opportunity there.

• Love 2

My feelings for this show confuse me. I'm sad it's ending and yet the plot lines and the writing frustrate me so much. I couldn't care less about Mary's boyfriend problems. I don't care about Spratt and Denker. Miss Baxter's dilemma about whether to visit Coyle is prison is a bore. And so on and so on.

I really only care about Violet and Isobel. I loved Violet's takedown of Miss Cruikshank (she and Larry deserve each other) and I loved that she knew exactly what Robert needed in his life - a puppy.

Speaking of Robert, he's looking remarkably healthy for a man who just had part of his stomach removed. He hasn't lost any weight and apparently has no dietary restrictions. He can even drink wine. Ridiculous.

• Love 6

Well, now that Robert's imbibing again that should mean Mrs. Hughes can have her glass at dinner as well. I didn't notice if she was kicked back with her wine while waiting for Mr. Carson to serve her the dinner. She sure should have been.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 2

I like to think that Robert's knowledge of Egyptology is a tip of the hat by JF to Lord Carnarvan (sp?) of King Tut fame whose house is DA.

Wasn't Mrs. Patmore illiterate at one time? I expected her to mention that to Andrew. Loved her scheme to turn the tables on Carson.

BTW, I thought the drivers lining up and running to their cars funny.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 7

I was hoping the racers would somehow be able to mow downs Denker and Spratt.

Thank goodness they still hate each other's guts.  But who knows, since there are only 3 eps left, and Mary & Matthew Goode seemed to have found undying love for each other over just 2 eps, I'm expecting Denker to be making out with Buddy Hackett by next ep.  Ew.

Wait, was I hearing correctly -- did Robert say something about "sex appeal"?  And about a dude?  Er, huh???

Mary and Henry are falling flat to me, because I'm not buying that they have feelings for each other.  They've barely spent any time together and hardly know each other.  So I'm not getting all this angst.

I'm also not getting why Tom is so invested in Mary and Henry.  His desire to see them get together seems excessive. 

Violet was marvelous with Miss Cruikshank.  She'd better be back soon.  DA is not the same without Violet. 

• Love 5

What a wonderful episode - for the most part. I loved Mrs Patmore's very creative way to slap some sense into Carson where his treatment of Mrs Hughes is concerned. Well done ladies.

I would imagine that Edith did not say yes right away to Bertie because she wants to tell him that she is Marigold's mother, but that wasn't the right time. At least that is what I hope happens and that they live happily ever after.

It made no sense to me that Henry would pick this time to tell Mary that they need to cease the moment, rather than realize that a woman who lost her husband in a car crash and could very well have lost her 'boyfriend' the same way would not be jumping for joy over his need to push her into a comittment. If anything it cemented that Mary was right (if for different reasons) that they do not belong together if he didn't realize that being married to a race car driver would be a nightmare for her.

I love that Violet left Robert a puppy. I wonder if that is her way of telling him that she doesn't blame him for the hospital situation (though does still blame Cora). Otherwise it would look rather mean for her to take off without telling him she was leaving while he is still recovering from his surgery.

I like that Daisy's bitchiness was explained in that she has never really had anyone for herself and she felt threatened by Mrs Patmore's friendship with Mr Carson. So sweet that Mrs Patmore told her that she had her as well.

The only thing I didn't like in this epi was the continual beating down of Thomas. Even when it was revealed that he was helping Andy learn how to read no one gave him credit. JF had better give Barrows a happy ending (no pun intended) or I will be very annoyed. I don't care what he has done in the past.

BTW, watching the interviews at the end with cast members was very interesting. And the actor that plays Thomas - wow is he gorgeous! I think Thomas is good looking but the actor who plays him is off the charts! Yum!!

• Love 2
The Dowager Countess is a true Jane Austen fan, saying she would "winkle" Miss Cruikshank's true purpose out of her. That's a nod to Mrs. Jennings, the gossipy matron in "Sense and Sensibility", who told Elinor and Marianne she would "winkle" their secrets out of them.

I'm not so sure that's a direct Austen reference, more that both are using a fairly common British idiom (well, it would have been more common in Austen and Downton days than today, perhaps) - to winkle out means to extract something with some difficulty, and derives from the process of removing the meat from a periwinkle using a pin.

• Love 1

I wonder if Violet gave the dog to Robert as a "congratulations" for getting well from his stomach attack too. Would have been good for him to have the dog for companionship and training while he was convalescing, since Robert was so bored.

I was intensely angry with Anna as she ran to get close to the accident to see if she could "help". After all the trouble she had keeping that pregnancy, she was being very immature to put herself in unnecessary danger. (I've never liked her immature babyish voice too, which is probably a secret turn-on for Mr Bates.) All the other people who were rushing forward to the accident were dumb too--the race should have had a firetruck and ambulance standing at the ready. Very poor planning by the organizers. If it was on private land, that's how they got away with neglecting safety. Bates should have read her the riot act, but he is enjoying their sex life too much to make waves.

Moreover, although the race was probably supposed to please and excite JF's audience, it took up time onscreen where the lazy writers did not have to write dialogue and the actors didn't have to memorize it. Maybe JF wanted to put in special sexist appeal to males who might be in the audience.

I like how JF is making the footman's loneliness in a crowd so poignant.

Violet was taking chances by "winkling" out the malicious DIL's motives toward Earl Dickie. But the DIL was taken by surprise, and never thought that anyone would smell a rat. Isobel has taken interested men for granted--the doctor and the earl are both good suitors, except that she has suspected the doctor drinks a little too much. Isobel is a bit of an Ice Queen like Mary, but she's a much better person than snobbish Mary. Isobel should accept the Earl's proposal and start being a leader of the county. They need new blood and modern ideas.

• Love 2

Wait, when did we see Tom get a letter from the Countess? I saw Isobel give a letter to Robert, who read and summarized it, but where was Tom's letter? ETA: Ah, I see. Thank you.

Edited by Lorna Mae

Wait, when did we see Tom get a letter from the Countess? I saw Isobel give a letter to Robert, who read and summarized it, but where was Tom's letter?

We didn't see it, but she mentioned that she had written to Tom in her talk with Isobel. 

If Mary and Tom are endgame, maybe they will take on Thomas as babysitter/dogsbody/assistant butler.

That is if he's not too deep into his depressive funk or job hunting again at those abandoned Stately Homes, that make the post-Civil War Tara look lush.

Was surprised to read here that some viewers think the Dowager made her grand exit to France, nary to return? Surely that can't be true since she doesn't feel any more comfortable with the French than Monty Python.

Surprised me to see Edith happy for more than 10 seconds -- soon she will get up her nerve to explain to her prospective husband who Marigold is and why she was named after such a common flower.

It's painful that there are so few episodes left. The only thing good about the rapidly diminishing number of episodes is that it's less likely JF will waste chunks of time on more weddings or deaths. Maybe we will just be dealing with births ( looking at you Anna, to finally do something interesting), promises (Mary and Tom, (Daisy and the Illiterate, can't recall his name) and people moving on to new jobs or businesses.

Well, I can dream...

• Love 2

Whoever wrote that the pacing of this season is off is correct.

Violet’s storyline has been so bad this season but this episode, they brought her back to what we know and love about her. Great scene with her and Larry Grey’s finance.

I cannot feel bad for Thomas.  He stole wine and tried to steal Mr. Carson’s wallet.  He was horrible to Bates and William, two beloved servants at the house. He was friends with O’Brien and Jimmy.  Only two friends after ten years at Downton.  The fact that he still works there after so long is a mystery to me. And now that he’s being treated the way he should have been all along, doesn’t bother me. He thinks everyone should be grateful for his service that he stayed at Downton as long as he has.  Carson has never really liked him. I think he is getting what he deserves.

• Love 1
But sheesh, I'm soooooo bored to death by his scenes & the lack of ANY chemistry between him & Mary.  And his declarations of love sound so forced & gold-diggerish to me.

I don't agree about the comments being "gold-diggerish," but I fully agree that it feels like Henry is reading off a script, rather than his declarations seeming genuine.   

• Love 2

The curse of the lonely Crawleys who have no friends has already infected Henry. There is just no way he'd be by himself by just after dinner. He and Charlie were part of a team, right? The team would be together, and wouldn't let anyone be alone that first night. And he said he had to "take care of Charlie's family" - I'd think he'd be there for awhile. He wouldn't be sitting around moping by himself, he'd be collapsing the next day after staying up with everyone else.

Daisy's little "doesn't it, though?" after Mrs. Patmore said sharing love doesn't mean dividing it got me to forgive her for all the slams of the last few weeks. Oh right, she was basically an orphan (or abandoned) who has lived at the mercy of other people her whole life. Of course she doesn't know how relationships work, poor thing.

Hm, if Isobel marries Merton, can the Granthams sell her house to make some money? They could even sell the dower house once Violet dies, assuming that Cora and then Mary will just live at Downton until they die instead of moving to their own house (although if Mary turns out like Violet, which I'm sure she will, some distance would probably be good for George).

I worry for Edith. Her having an engagement right when Mary's broken it off with her own boyfriend is

a serious danger zone for Mary trying to drag Edith right back down with her. In S1, Mary tanked Edith's first run at Strallan after realizing she had to contend with Matthew instead of looking for her own husband. She could easily pull the same thing now and tell Bertie there's no way the family would accept him, that Edith would look down on him, etc. I noticed his glances at Mary when she was sniping at Edith, but I doubt he's got her number to the point that he'd know she was outright lying to him.

So, would Thomas accept a demotion back down to footman to stay? Robert and Mr. C have talked several times about not needing an under-butler, but never about not needing a footman.

Robert's not caring about the dog weeing on everything - besides the fact that the servants would be dealing with it, I thought "And we saw last episode you don't even know your house, so you don't know those are half a million dollar carpets she'd be ruining, you twit".

I thought that Rosamund digging at Robert at dinner was realistic - she is his sister, after all. I assume that's exactly how Mary and Edith will be in the future.

Oh also, about Tom - they could clear up his Henry obsession so easily with just a little dialogue - Mary asks him why he cares about her being with Henry so much, and he says something about how when they're together he sees a happiness and a spark in Mary that hasn't been there since Matthew died, and even if she doesn't realizes how much she loves him it shows. But instead, we're left wondering what the heck is going on. So frustrating.

• Love 3

I hope Mary and Henry get together by the end. I'm guessing they will. I don't think JF will end it in any real revolutionary way. We'll probably get

* Mary and Henry together, and happy

* Edith and Bertie together, possibly with Marigold, and happy

* Robert and Cora together, and happy

* Carson and Mrs. Hughes together (looks like their marital problems are solved), and happy

* Isobel and Dr Clarkson or Lord Merton (flip a coin, pick one, whatever) together, and happy

* Bates and Anna, together, with their child, and happy

* Thomas will stay on at Downton, or find a job in London or with some other family, and be happy

* And so on...

Not sure what will happen with Tom. But whatever it is, I'm sure Tom will be happy, whether single or is given a last minute hook-up. I don't think Violet will be killed off. At least, as others have said, not without a few more witty one liners.

Speaking of, loved her verbal smackdown of Amelia. The highlight of the episode for sure.

Is it just me, or was Robert's reaction to the puppy the happiest we've seen him react in ages?

Edith and Bertie seem made for each other. Though for some reason, watching them is like watching a foxhound making out with a cocker spaniel. You decide which is which.

Daisy wasn't as annoying as usual but then again, she is being judged on the Daisy Scale.

As mentioned, good to see that Hughes and Carson worked out their differences rather quickly. It was the best story for either of them, and does seem like more wheels spinning to make enough story to get us to the final episode.

Good for Molesley! A nice guy who deserves whatever success he gets.

Part of feels bad for Thomas, but...as others have said, he needs to look in other parts of the country, and in other industries. He could do well working in a hotel or a manager in a restaurant in London, at the least.

God, I'll miss this show. The plots have been hit or miss over the last few years, but the cast and actors (more or less), dialogue, costumes, and set pieces are always a joy.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 4

I felt like this episode was an example of the best and worst of Downton Abbey.  Everything related to the race, the crash and death and its aftermath was forced and melodramatic.  If we had to see Mary struggle with commitment, and break up with a guy over the phone, leave out the other poor guy being killed and Anna risking her pregnancy for what. . .  what was she going to do?  I did so much eyerolling with all of that.  Denker, Spratt, Baxter deciding on a jail visit -- nonstarters.

But on the other side of the coin, we have Violet returning to form in a big way, and lots of other natural payoffs with Molesley, Daisy, Andrew, Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore.  The piling on continues with Thomas, but it's sort of okay because I guess that suspense has to go on til the end as to whether he will kill himself or stay at the abbey.  I don't really need to see any weddings but I'm sure we will, but it is my fervent wish we have not seen the last of Violet.  I do not need happy endings for everyone, but I don't want her to die on the cruise.

• Love 3

Hmmm..they didn't mention it, but is Violet, by any chance, on a Viking River Cruise? j/k

I also like Tom and Mary together, but she would have to climb several steps down off her high horse to see it, and i'm not sure she ever would. They make terrific friends, though. 

I've grown from detesting Thomas to rooting for him to find some kind of happiness. Yes, I know he brought all of his problems on himself, but I still don't want to see him cast into the outer darkness. In some ways he is one of the best and most complex characters on the show. And he has grown and changed over the years, which is good to see. If only it's not too late, and if he hasn't burned all of his bridges. 

I want to own all of the clothing that the women are wearing this season. Right now they are in one of the most wonderful eras for fashion and I love every scrap of it. 

• Love 11

Hmmm..they didn't mention it, but is Violet, by any chance, on a Viking River Cruise? j/k

I know you are just kidding but I had the exact same thought.   I don't think she's on a river cruise because that's a fairly modern invention, but I suspect the mention of a cruise ship may not have been entirely accidental.  Viking knows they've got their target audience right in their cross-hairs with this show.

• Love 2

I've grown from detesting Thomas to rooting for him to find some kind of happiness. Yes, I know he brought all of his problems on himself, but I still don't want to see him cast into the outer darkness. In some ways he is one of the best and most complex characters on the show. And he has grown and changed over the years, which is good to see. If only it's not too late, and if he hasn't burned all of his bridges.

Meh.  I've been re-watching season 3 and the beginning of season 4.  The Bates save Thomas at the very end of Season 3 and then he gets promoted to UnderButler (no good deed goes unpunished).  So what's the first thing he does in season 4?  Cultivate a relationship with O'Brian's replacement by helping her get out of having ruined one of Cora's scarves by planting the idea that actually Anna did it our of jealousy and spite. That's some sorry-ass gratitude to the Bates there.  And when Baxter shows up we learn he is blackmailing her into being his spy.  So actually, fuck that guy.  I've posted "poor Thomas" after both the of the last two episodes but he really is a nasty piece of work.  I predict he'll end up staying on (now they're down one footman) and he'll end up being considered the heir apparent to the butler position because Mary thinks he has a relationship with George like she had with Carson.  Who knows -- she may be right.  Maybe once he's in charge he can stop scheming all the time because he's at the top and maybe his loyalty to George will be this huge blessing in George's life in the same way the Carson's and Bates' loyalty have been huge blessings to the whole family.  Maybe he WILL grow into a decent honorable man.  But his skullduggery is still pretty damned recent at this point.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5

I'm a little disappointed Henry wasn't left permanently crippled in his legs,

Lol. A rap on your knuckles!

re:  WatchrTina's post

Exactly! I really don't know where all this sympathy for him is coming from. The actor is very good but the character deserves all the trouble he's getting. Watch Season 1 again, for those who seem to have forgotten how horrible a person he was. And at no point did he change.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 4

Add me to the group that wants to slap Anna. She knows she has a wonky womb but she's ready to run on concrete in those clunky heels of hers, into a cloud of gasoline fumes, all because the Blessed Lady Mary might be upset and have only her entire family around to support her.

But still, JF, why the relentless cruelty toward Barrow?

I think it's our fault for insisting he be nicer to Edith. It left a hole.

I loved that the puppy was busily trying to eat his own bed. So true to life. Donk's running off to be alone with Tio, reminded me of how, when he punched the art historian it was only partly because he found him in his bedroom with Lady Cora. It was also for trying to steal his dog's affection. As a bit of a dog-hog myself I understand Lord Grantham perfectly and was very happy for him.

Robert does need to apologize to his sister. "Bloody," was like the "f" word then and he should have expected a verbal wrist tap for it. Every time they land on Rosamund with short notice I think of Robert, repeatedly complaining when his own, much larger house is used "like an hotel."

Very happy for Mosely. I thought I detected a bit of impatience with Baxter from him. She continues to ignore his advice and fret over the bad guy and it might mess with their chance at happiness.

Every time they have an outdoor scene, be it fox hunting or car racing, they play the same dweebie music. It was all twinkly and happy for the race and seemed so inappropriate to me.

• Love 9

The puppy made this an A+ episode.

Downton Abbey's world is spinning as it should - the tilt of its axis has finally been corrected.  Violet is     back to form and in all her glory.  Her character has been off the entire season.  Daisy behaving in a way that reminds me why I am fond of her character.  Mrs. Hughes putting Mr. Carson in his place, with Mrs Patamore's help.

Even before the crash- Mary was being tortured by the racing.  I don't see Mary marrying Henry, an early version of a Nascar driver.  And given Matthew's death -  the story line is a pretty cruel one for her.

• Love 5

That's one Charlie who won't be so cheerful.

Now that I think about it, is there any chance Charlie Rogers left his friend Henry Talbot a fat packet of cash?

Matthew would usually get a sizable inheritance out of nowhere in the odd seasons.  Obviously, that wasn't possible in Season 5, and Lady Mary was taking forever selecting her next victim.  So why waste a perfectly good plot element when you've only used it twice before?

Of course that presumes that M & H get back together, but I'm guessing they will.  If this had been a Season 4 or a Season 5 plot line, perhaps not, but there are only two episodes left and, as with Matthew, we've already had the break-up, the prayers (or talk of prayers), the near death experience.  I'm amazed Mary didn't give Henry a little doll -- preferably a Mr. Bill doll -- that could ride around in the car with him.

Edited by Constantinople
  • Love 5

I detect a controlling note in Molesley's treatment of Baxter in the Coyne's letter situation. Has he declared his intentions toward her? If not, then he needs to step back and let her figure out how to handle her own life and resolve her past trauma. I didn't like how he pushed her to testify and thought he should have handled that with more gentle persuasion and reassurance.

Now that I think about it, is there any chance Charlie Rogers left his friend Henry Talbot a fat packet of cash?

With the way this show works, they'll end up being distant cousins, and Charlie was like a Duke or something, and the title will be transferred to Henry? Or something?

• Love 3

I detect a controlling note in Molesley's treatment of Baxter in the Coyne's letter situation. Has he declared his intentions toward her? If not, then he needs to step back and let her figure out how to handle her own life and resolve her past trauma. I didn't like how he pushed her to testify and thought he should have handled that with more gentle persuasion and reassurance.

I have been really enjoying this season, but I did not think this was a good episode. The editing back and forth from the race to happenings around Downton was clunky, and I really can't get upset about someone I don't even know dying. I don't think we even know Henry well enough to be sad if it were him! In fact, I think the endgame is to have them together, because otherwise, why not just off him right there. Only two episodes left.

And why wouldn't Thomas see Mosely leaving Downton as an opportunity to stay? I assume the issue with the B&B is for it's guests also.  It otherwise looked quite nice. But why add a brand new plot point now?  There are so many things to wrap up: Edith getting engaged, Edith telling her fiance about Marigold, Mary finding out about Marigold, Thomas new job, Mosely leaving, Daisy passing exams, Anna's baby, Baxter & Coyne, whatever the hell Sprat is doing, Isobelle & Lord Merton, the Dowager en France, the B&B scandall, Tom figuring out what he wants to do, and... Mary. That's quite a lot. 

• Love 4

I agree. I said this before, she seems like she wants to say "stay the hell out of my business" but is too polite. Not only is he telling her what she "should" do, but he went & tattled about the situation to Cora a few episodes ago.

Loved Violet in this episode. She was back to being the Dowager we know & love. I knew Larry's fiancé was up to something but didn't know what. I thought the puppy gift was her way of saying "I understand the hospital mess wasn't your fault".

Love Thomas & yes, he looks gorgeous IRL!

I am not happy that they brought Tom back from America at all. Either it's because he will end up with Mary (EeWww!) or is just a sounding board so that we know her thoughts. It is pretty creepy the way he keeps getting up in her romantic business.

Mary/Henry- she really hates his profession. I suppose they are going to have her break down her defenses & end up with him, but like others I don't think he's a better catch than past guys she's dumped like Blake or Gillingham.

Loved the puppy surprise best of all.

• Love 1
Oh Edith just say yes!! I get why she's hesitant, she's been burned before and now she has Marigold to consider too. I think she wants love but she's so afraid it will all end up being for nothing again, she's had too many disappointments when it comes to feeling loved: by her parents, by Mary, by Patrick and so on. She's building her self esteem and it's really easy to fall back into such old habits when you're still in the building process. I do think Bertie is what she needs, a man who is super supportive of her and loves her, and I have no doubt that once he learns the truth about Marigold it will all be just fine- it would probably be easier for him to understand why Edith wants to bring her along, although I do hope he'll figure it out himself!

I, too, suspect Bertie will be ok with Marigold, but it seems anachronistic to me nevertheless.  How realistic would it be in those times for a man to accept 1) she's not a virgin despite being unmarried, 2) she had an affair with a married man, 3) she had a baby with that married man that 4) she's passing off as a family ward?

And would Bertie be ok with it simply because his prospects are so slim that he'd be willing to overlook Edith's indiscretions and baby out of wedlock?  Or because he's a good guy and truly doesn't care?

I think Edith is right to hesitate until she's told him that Marigold is her daughter.  And maybe until they have an actual conversation about what their married life would look like - like where they would live and what happens to the magazine, etc.  I have no idea where the location is of that estate that Bertie manages - is it near London or so far away that Edith wouldn't be able to hop down to London when she needs to?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

I realized Tom's role in the show.  Downton Abbey and Mary doesn't really work without Sybil's lovely presence.  Tom is a surrogate  for Sybil being gone.  That is obviously why the fictional family treats him as such.  The audience realizes he has his own separate identity, but I don't believe JF has ever been able to imagine  a role for Tom  other than being Sybil's surrogate.

Tom is not so much Mary's wingman as her sister.

Luckily for Lord Grantham that there are only a couple of episodes left for him and his puppy.  I saw Tom's smile when he saw the puppy, and Allan Leech has shown he has quite a way with dogs.

• Love 5

I was intensely angry with Anna as she ran to get close to the accident to see if she could "help". After all the trouble she had keeping that pregnancy, she was being very immature to put herself in unnecessary danger. (I've never liked her immature babyish voice too, which is probably a secret turn-on for Mr Bates.) All the other people who were rushing forward to the accident were dumb too--the race should have had a firetruck and ambulance standing at the ready. Very poor planning by the organizers. If it was on private land, that's how they got away with neglecting safety. Bates should have read her the riot act, but he is enjoying their sex life too much to make waves.

I wasn't angry with her so much as I thought it was incredibly stupid. I took it as Fellowes trying to add drama--oooh! what if she loses the baby?--but why would Anna feel she has to run to the site of the accident? Is she secretly a fireman/nurse on the side--what would she be able to do, especially while she's visibly pregnant? The most I can come up with is that she wanted to comfort Mary, but even that seems a weak explanation.

• Love 2