Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, suomi said:

Due to the time slot, MJ rarely catches a break. It seems like 90% of major news happens after they sign off or on Friday/over the weekend. By the time they're seated at the table or assembled in their bunkers again every major story has already been covered in depth (and better) by others. 

Plus First Look covers all the breaking news from the night before (and does a better job). And they now have more guests on, even at that ungodly hour. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, suomi said:

Due to the time slot, MJ rarely catches a break. It seems like 90% of major news happens after they sign off or on Friday/over the weekend. By the time they're seated at the table or assembled in their bunkers again every major story has already been covered in depth (and better) by others. 

True. I wonder if Morning Joe will still be on the air when I retire on December 28 ?

23 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Plus First Look covers all the breaking news from the night before (and does a better job). And they now have more guests on, even at that ungodly hour. 

I prefer that show to Morning Joe.

• Love 2

Peggy Noonan can take her Reagan worship and get right the fuck off my TV screen right now. How DARE she extol Reagan as the paragon of inclusiveness when he condemned bigotry out of one side of his mouth while practicing it so cynically out of the other (remember the Cadillac-driving “welfare queens” and the “strapping young bucks” buying steaks with food stamps?)?

The hatred and divisiveness that she put such a pretty rhetorical bow on drew a straight, dark line right to Donald Trump. She doesn’t get to come on Morning Joe today and gloss that over.

ETA: OMG, and now she’s pontificating about how much better America is than what we’re seeing. Once again, completely tone deaf to the legitimate terror so many women, minorities, and vulnerable people are feeling right now.

Peggy and her ilk will be fine. The rest of us? Not so much.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Peggy Noonan can take her Reagan worship and get right the fuck off my TV screen right now. How DARE she extol Reagan as the paragon of inclusiveness when he condemned bigotry out of one side of his mouth while practicing it so cynically out of the other (remember the Cadillac-driving “welfare queens” and the “strapping young bucks” buying steaks with food stamps?)?

The hatred and divisiveness that she put such a pretty rhetorical bow on drew a straight, dark line right to Donald Trump. She doesn’t get to come on Morning Joe today and gloss that over.

ETA: OMG, and now she’s pontificating about how much better America is than what we’re seeing. Once again, completely tone deaf to the legitimate terror so many women, minorities, and vulnerable people are feeling right now.

Peggy and her ilk will be fine. The rest of us? Not so much.

I've always been amazed by how much the GOP (and some democrats) worship Reagan.  They've been rewriting/cherry picking his history since he left.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

Maybe he acted better than Trump, but we have to keep in mind that he opened the door for Trump and his ilk.

• Love 7

Was she hungover or anxious this morning?  She couldn't read the prompter to relay the Anti-Defamation League materials, and she couldn't introduce the two Weismans smoothly.  She seemed extremely tired and totally unfamiliar with her materials.  It was startling, I mean, do you ever notice news readers?  No, you don't.  They just get you the info, and you absorb it.  You never notice the reader him or herself.  Mika has so many tics and cadence issues, it's rough going

• Love 6
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Turned it on for a second this morning, Mika was reading tweets, or should I say struggling to read tweets. 

I was at home sick this morning and tried to watch Morning Joe. Why are Mika & Joe not set together? Why does Mika look different? Mika was practically crying on set over Trump. It's very hard to take them seriously anymore. What's wrong with Joe's hair? 

1 hour ago, The Solution said:

Maybe he acted better than Trump, but we have to keep in mind that he opened the door for Trump and his ilk.

Trump used Reagan's "make America Great Again" slogan

• Love 3
1 hour ago, oakville said:

I was at home sick this morning and tried to watch Morning Joe. Why are Mika & Joe not set together? Why does Mika look different? Mika was practically crying on set over Trump. It's very hard to take them seriously anymore. What's wrong with Joe's hair? 

I believe the story is that they could be together, but they sit in front of separate back drops so it doesn't appear they're together.  We think they're living in FL now.  I have no idea if they've hired a local crew to operate cameras or if it's some super HD Skype situation. 

I noticed her hair looks a little longer. Others think she's had more "work" done. 

Joe looks like he's using "Clairol for Men: Shade #5 - Dirty Dishwater/Muddy Towels in the Washer". 

I don't even bother anymore. I might have the tv set to MSNBC from First Look but I usually have something dvr'd to watch, or Netflix, etc and if I turn those off, I'll see it for a minute before I change channels.

Like others have said, they aren't breaking any news, they're just rehashing events with their ill informed spin. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I believe the story is that they could be together, but they sit in front of separate back drops so it doesn't appear they're together.  We think they're living in FL now.  I have no idea if they've hired a local crew to operate cameras or if it's some super HD Skype situation. 

I noticed her hair looks a little longer. Others think she's had more "work" done. 

Joe looks like he's using "Clairol for Men: Shade #5 - Dirty Dishwater/Muddy Towels in the Washer". 

I don't even bother anymore. I might have the tv set to MSNBC from First Look but I usually have something dvr'd to watch, or Netflix, etc and if I turn those off, I'll see it for a minute before I change channels.

Like others have said, they aren't breaking any news, they're just rehashing events with their ill informed spin. 

Thanks. So they host an "inside the beltway" show from Florida? LOL!

• Love 4

I am curious as to what Joe and Mika's plans are beyond this year. They do seem to be spending the vast majority of their time in Florida. And while the current setup might be acceptable to finish up the last few months of their contract, it doesn't seem like it is sustainable over the long-term, and I doubt that it is something that MSNBC would agree to as part of a new contract.

So, if the end of Morning Joe is in sight, then I do genuinely wonder what Joe and Mika plan to do next.

Edited by cased
  • Love 1

Had to replay the Rick Wilson segment, just for the “quivering blob of baby man-goo” comment.

if you have not read his book and need a big cathartic shower of vitriol, you will not be disappointed.

• Love 1

Willie’s hair is ridiculously too dark and monotone. Joe’s hair is ridiculously too light and highlighted.  They look absurd. 

Hinestly, Willie looks like an 8 yr old who made his hair black with shoe polish. Joe looks sepia toned.

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 4

Why is Mika talking about the divisions within the Democrats and how they need to come up with a good approach for governing after the election?  Win the election first!

Edited by madfortv
Fixed wording
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Eliot said:

Had to replay the Rick Wilson segment, just for the “quivering blob of baby man-goo” comment.

if you have not read his book and need a big cathartic shower of vitriol, you will not be disappointed.

Best money I have spent in a long time.  Love his Twitter feed.  I always wondered why he wasn't a guest on MJ for a long time since he and Joe are from the same-ish area but now I know Rick probably had a hard time keeping his breakfast down the morning he was on the show.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, madfortv said:

Why is Mika talking about the divisions within the Democrats and how they need to come up with a good approach for governing after the election?  Win the election first!

Gee too bad she didn't come up with a good approach for blowing her family and marriage apart for millions of people to see each day on air including her family.  This shaky voiced, crossed arm vision we are seeing these days is gross.  Meeks, there are a handful of people that have had your privilege of seeing/experiencing history up close (aside from puking on a diplomat or two).  Her fury at those that are trying to hold it together as best they can through advocacy/organizing is for me revolting.  Both parties are swimming in the deep end of the pool and up to their necks in alligators but I can see some very good signs that the Democrats are in the process of righting their ship (no thanks to her).  Go sit in your directors chair next Wednesday at that MJ post election extravaganza they planning and in the meantime try and stay out of the way.

• Love 9

I am disgusted that the show gave airtime this morning to those idiots from Axios and the ridiculous "Trump wants to ban birthright citizenship" distraction. Why do they have to run pitter-pattering toward every shiny object Trump dangles in front of the media just because he says something outrageous? Why did no one contradict the assertion during the interview that "we're the only country that does this," which is patently untrue? Why do Jonathan Swan and Jim Van de Hei even have jobs?

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I am disgusted that the show gave airtime this morning to those idiots from Axios and the ridiculous "Trump wants to ban birthright citizenship" distraction. Why do they have to run pitter-pattering toward every shiny object Trump dangles in front of the media just because he says something outrageous? Why did no one contradict the assertion during the interview that "we're the only country that does this," which is patently untrue? Why do Jonathan Swan and Jim Van de Hei even have jobs?

Were they hawking their HBO show?  Axios & Politico are GOP boot licking douchebags. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

It is true that we are not the only country that does this, but most don't - especially developed western countries (such as Europe). The UK used to have birthright citizenship, but they got rid of it years ago.

Having said that, for the US to change, it would probably take a constiturional ammendment - certainly not a Trump executive order.

Edited by cased
17 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Who was the guy that appeared in the last 15 minutes?  He sounded great (also shoe polishes his hair tho)

Women can color their hair any shade of the rainbow.

These poor guys dare to sidestep gray and all they get is grief.

Not fair.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Kemper said:

There is just something about Jonathan Swan and Jim Van de Hei that is kind of smarmy

Very smarmy.   Like it's all a game because no matter what happens they'll be okay in the end.   The demeanor of the Trump interview reminded me of footage I've seen of Yellowstone tourists feeding and taunting bears.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Gee too bad she didn't come up with a good approach for blowing her family and marriage apart for millions of people to see each day on air including her family.  This shaky voiced, crossed arm vision we are seeing these days is gross.  Meeks, there are a handful of people that have had your privilege of seeing/experiencing history up close (aside from puking on a diplomat or two).  Her fury at those that are trying to hold it together as best they can through advocacy/organizing is for me revolting.  Both parties are swimming in the deep end of the pool and up to their necks in alligators but I can see some very good signs that the Democrats are in the process of righting their ship (no thanks to her).  Go sit in your directors chair next Wednesday at that MJ post election extravaganza they planning and in the meantime try and stay out of the way.

Agreed. I just can't watch the show anymore for serious analysis of politics. I remember very clearly how these two hosts were joking around with Trump in 2015 & 2016. The post election visit to Trump tower by Mika & the NYE at Mar A Largo should have sealed their fate.  Mika looks weird now. Joe looks like a cartoon character with that hair. They can't be bothered to show up in Washington to cover the election. MSNBC should put viewers out of their misery and cancel this show ASAP.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Very smarmy.   Like it's all a game because no matter what happens they'll be okay in the end.   The demeanor of the Trump interview reminded me of footage I've seen of Yellowstone tourists feeding and taunting bears.

I guess those two are trying to replace Halperin & Heilemann.  They had a show called the Circus. It is sad that these two fall for Trump's latest ridiculous comments.

• Love 2

Amen to the smarmy. I remember when Axios got its foot in the door at First Look and, by extension, Morning Joe. Outta nowhere, the last 5 minutes of First Look belonged to Axios and its 1 Big Thing. The way it suddenly appeared and was set up reminded me of booth rental in a hair salon, when a stylist rents space in an established location and (usually) brings a clientele with them. Van de Hei is long known for punching above his weight but Swan has a rep for producing a long list of DC insider "firsts." VdH ended up leaving Politico well before his announced and scheduled departure so that partnership didn't end well, obviously. He earned a rep there as more of a greedy grasper than a hard charger so he fits right in with reigning opportunists Joey and Scoop. This show is big on matches made in hell. One thing that impresses sometimes is the number of guests. MMV as to what they offer but the head count is often well above that of similar shows. A deep bullpen is a good thing but a deep and talented bullpen is a better thing. (I have not yet recovered from the World Series).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, oakville said:

I guess those two are trying to replace Halperin & Heilemann.  They had a show called the Circus. It is sad that these two fall for Trump's latest ridiculous comments.

Everyone does -- reporters, politicians, people you would never expect to fall for it.   It's like no one can pass up an opportunity to be part of the big show, even if it means compromising themselves.   That rabbi from the Tree of Life Synagogue was on CNN all day yesterday pointedly repeating that the President was welcome to visit, but he would not be there to personally greet him.   The President arrives, and who's there to personally greet him?   The very same rabbi.

• Love 6

Rachael Maddow doesn't fall for it.  But yeah, it seems like she's the only one.  She always says 'watch what they do, not what they say'.

She's the exact opposite of Morning Joe though, so it does make sense.  ;)

• Love 9

That rabbi from the Tree of Life Synagogue was on CNN all day yesterday pointedly repeating that the President was welcome to visit, but he would not be there to personally greet him.   The President arrives, and who's there to personally greet him?   The very same rabbi.

It's a shande, that is.

It's always a good day when Ratner brings charts.  I don't even see them, since I only listen, but I feel better just knowing they are there....

Do you guys really think that the Goldust Twins contract won't be renewed? If that will be the case, MSNBC needs to wait until Trump is out of office, or else he will gleefully claim credit for it.

Who was the guy that appeared in the last 15 minutes?  He sounded great (also shoe polishes his hair tho)

Women can color their hair any shade of the rainbow.  These poor guys dare to sidestep gray and all they get is grief. Not fair.  

Older women also need to go lighter as they age.  Case in point: Ann Miller (the 1940s movie star.  90 years old with coal black hair.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 6

I used to check the ratings on this show. I wonder if they have declined since the hosts refuse to show up on set. It’s the weirdest show on tv. 

3 hours ago, millennium said:

Everyone does -- reporters, politicians, people you would never expect to fall for it.   It's like no one can pass up an opportunity to be part of the big show, even if it means compromising themselves.   That rabbi from the Tree of Life Synagogue was on CNN all day yesterday pointedly repeating that the President was welcome to visit, but he would not be there to personally greet him.   The President arrives, and who's there to personally greet him?   The very same rabbi.

Agreed. I remember Joe gleefully saying that Trump would launch a tv network after he lost the election. Now Trump TV is everywhere. I just watch French news now to get some perspective. There are things happening in the world other than Trumps latest twitter storms

• Love 6

Line of the day goes to Meacham today. He mumbled "trump presidential library". Then tried to quickly blow it off.

I watched the first hour and regretted that I hadn't taped last night's Hard Ball and rewatched that instead.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Women can color their hair any shade of the rainbow.  These poor guys dare to sidestep gray and all they get is grief. Not fair.  

Who was the older contributor on MSNBC who used to dye his hair red and finally wised up and let it go gray and looks so much better? I can see him and can't remember his name to save me. I think he's a political editor for HuffPo or Daily Beast now. Something online, he is still on MSNBC occasionally. He used to be on MJ all the time.

• Love 3

Howard Fineman

Thank you Stormy!    

32 minutes ago, stormy said:

He mumbled "trump presidential library".

Are that many copies of "The Art of the Deal" still around?  The Daily Show already did a Tweet Museum.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, suomi said:

Amen to the smarmy. I remember when Axios got its foot in the door at First Look and, by extension, Morning Joe. Outta nowhere, the last 5 minutes of First Look belonged to Axios and its 1 Big Thing. The way it suddenly appeared and was set up reminded me of booth rental in a hair salon, when a stylist rents space in an established location and (usually) brings a clientele with them. Van de Hei is long known for punching above his weight but Swan has a rep for producing a long list of DC insider "firsts." VdH ended up leaving Politico well before his announced and scheduled departure so that partnership didn't end well, obviously. He earned a rep there as more of a greedy grasper than a hard charger so he fits right in with reigning opportunists Joey and Scoop. This show is big on matches made in hell. One thing that impresses sometimes is the number of guests. MMV as to what they offer but the head count is often well above that of similar shows. A deep bullpen is a good thing but a deep and talented bullpen is a better thing. (I have not yet recovered from the World Series).

Axios has now stolen the moniker given by my beloved Charlie Pierce of "Tiger Beat by the Potomac".  I like Jonathan Swann and I am hoping there is more to that interview that he pushed back on Trump about that EO for rescinding birthrights.  I thought my eyes were going to fly out of my head when Trump told him he was "one of the few that gets it".  Eeew.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Do you guys really think that the Goldust Twins contract won't be renewed? If that will be the case, MSNBC needs to wait until Trump is out of office, or else he will gleefully claim credit for it.

My gut feeling is that they are not renewing their contract, but nothing to base that on other than the feasibility of hosting the show long term from Florida.

Also, it may not be MSNBC's choice. It is possible that MSNBC wanted them back, but Joe and Mika may decide they want to do something different.

• Love 3

Wow, this is a bad set of panelists today, and no Joe.  I was actually glad to see Steve Kornacki show up.    One of them actually said if the Prez keeps up this rhetoric, "something bad will happen."  Seriously?  You mean something bigger?  Because bad things are already here. And lavender guy does not seem to understand the protocol-- when Mika was giving one of her pre-written canned self-righteous speeches, lavender guy dared try to interrupt her, so she had to say "wait, John."  Then whatever point he was trying to make had the other panelists jumping all over him.  

Kornacki always seems so tired on MJ -- it suits him, as it tones down his tendency to be frenetic.  Calm Steve is much easier to take. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, freddi said:

Wow, this is a bad set of panelists today, and no Joe.  I was actually glad to see Steve Kornacki show up.    One of them actually said if the Prez keeps up this rhetoric, "something bad will happen."  Seriously?  You mean something bigger?  Because bad things are already here. And lavender guy does not seem to understand the protocol-- when Mika was giving one of her pre-written canned self-righteous speeches, lavender guy dared try to interrupt her, so she had to say "wait, John."  Then whatever point he was trying to make had the other panelists jumping all over him.  

Kornacki always seems so tired on MJ -- it suits him, as it tones down his tendency to be frenetic.  Calm Steve is much easier to take. 

I agree.

I was so happy to see Howard Dean.  I want more Howard Dean!

• Love 2

I'm not surprised Noah Rothman brought up the question of whether a Democrat would vote for Nancy Pelosi.  Why don't the Democrats find a way to push back on that question! One response would be to talk about how the Republicans vilify competent women.  One thing about the Republicans is that they pick their targets early and keep at it for years.

Edited by madfortv
  • Love 8

Please bear with me for the following rant.  ------   Admittedly I am no longer glued to the TV for the three hours of this crapfest anymore, so maybe this has been addressed and I missed it, but - why exactly is Joe no longer on the set?   If his mother has health issues (which I believe he's mentioned) it's understandable that he'd spend more time with her, but 24/7?   Did he get his M.D. degree recently and is the only one who can take care of her?  I can see long week-ends so that he's absent from the set on Mondays or Fridays, or hell even both, but every damn day?   I know people who are able to work from home occasionally, but none of them are on television, specifically headlining a show named for them.  It's bizarre and actually disrespectful to us, the viewers, and maybe even to management.  There is a totally different dynamic having hosts phoning it in rather than sitting at the desk, and I have lost a lot of interest in MJ because of that.  And I'm about to get whiplash from Meeka's complete schizo personality changes between when her fiance' is absent and the few times he's sitting beside her.  She actually finds - and uses - her voice when he's not there, and when he is she turns into a simpering mute.  Can MSNBC please turn this show over to a couple of hosts who can show up to work like the rest of America has to? 

• Love 14

8:12 AM:  Mika again tells us that she and Joe went down to Florida in 2016 to meet with trump and tell him he JUST HAS To stop with the birtherism and all the hateful rhetoric.  He didn't listen to them of course, so then they proceeded to try again by giving him tens of millions of dollars of free coverage on their show for the next 2 years straight.....

• Love 13

VandeHei's piece was freaking great.  Mika's (probably) pre-penned follow up rant, not great.
VandeHei's interview of the pos currently sitting as president succinctly showed him as being unfit to serve.  It's disqualifying.  If only 50% or more of my fellow Americans weren't gullible, D-minus students filled with hate.

3 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

8:12 AM:  Mika again tells us that she and Joe went down to Florida in 2016 to meet with trump and tell him he JUST HAS To stop with the birtherism and all the hateful rhetoric.  He didn't listen to them of course, so then they proceeded to try again by giving him tens of millions of dollars of free coverage on their show for the next 2 years straight.....

That made me laugh out loud when she said it on the show.  She could not have been more blatant in her attempt to whitewash and rewrite.  Try harder Mika, you simpleton.  You're not going to gaslight us.

• Love 12

I saw Mika struggling to explain "increasing to a 15,000 number" re the troops on the border, she again today sounds like she's either on some type of med, Botox around her mouth is restricting her ability to speak, or she just can't form a coherent sentence.

Then that fat fuck Podhoretz says Trump is trolling himself  "hey you know how I really know about crowd sizes and I'm great at estimating them, be afraid, ha ha don't be afraid I'm really joking, you all get that right?"  Except no, that's idiotic, Trump isn't joking about anything, please shut up. 

I cannot believe MSNBC executives aren't horrified at what the show has become. Not that Joe & Mika haven't always played fast and loose with facts, or that their opinions were ever based in rational logic. But at least in the old days they'd have some decent guests. Now everyone in the media and politics has realized the show is nothing but a means to an end; seven figure paychecks, a cover for their affair and a platform to promote his half assed garage band and her KYV scam. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 10

Then that fat fuck Podhoretz is trying to explain that Trump is trolling himself  "hey you know how I really know about crowd sizes and I'm great at estimating them, be afraid, ha ha don't be afraid I'm really joking, you all get that right?"  Except no, it's idiotic, Trump isn't joking about anything, please shut up. 

No shit. Is this supposed to be the new Republican take on Trump? That he's just joking? Yeah. Real funny. I can think of eleven people in a synagogue who aren't laughing about it right now.

I loathe VandeHei and Axios in general, but he did surface a good point today: That Trump is mentally incapable of separating the "game" from the real-world implications of his words and policies. To him, it's just all about winning, getting the applause, getting the ratings. He simply does not understand what presidenting is all about.

• Love 16