Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, stormy said:

She follows that up with trump will visit there tomorrow.  Why?

Because there is no rain predicted but on the other hand with all of that product in his "hair" he best steer clear of open flames.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Oh My God, did anyone else just see Mika's face when they cut to her after introducing the Let's Roll Around In The Clinton Lewinsky Scandal A Bit More Shall We?  She was just glaring at the camera with her arms tightly crossed over her chest.  I didn't get it at first until they started rolling the A&E docu-drama teaser.  I wish I could get a screen shot of that, I would make it my screen saver.

Interesting that this documentary would be of so much interest to two MSNBC hosts. LOL It's on another network.

Of course there's no way in hell they would have mentioned Rachel Maddow's doc Betrayal which airs this Sunday.

The Orange County story really is quite interesting to me. We lived there in eighties so this shift is a big deal. They just didn't call in the right people to discuss it.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:36 AM, Chloesmom said:

Ok, Richard Ojeda has my vote for President in 2020.  You can shoot this guy directly into my veins.

Yes!, I saw him being interviewed in the Michael Moore film.

• Love 2

Nothing new.  Today's show was indistinguishable from any others from the previous 2 years.  Even with a throwaway insult towards Bill Clinton as being a worse liar than Trump.
Was weird for Ron Howard to be in studio but Joe and Mika were not, and, it was taped. 

One (er... two) thing that is new on this show is Mika's chest, right?  Today it seemed more apparent than previously.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Abiding Dude said:

Noah Rothman is simply just unctuous and odious. Always feel like I gotta Lysol my TV every time he comes on.

I saw him on my tv Saturday on David Gura's program and this morning when MJ came on and couldn't change the channel fast enough.  

• Love 1

Tweet of the day. The Finn's!  The Finnish president says he never said racking is used for forest management. But whatever the truth doesn't matter.

I love Admiral McRaven. 

Edited by stormy
  • Love 7

What did Rothman say this morning?  That he had to say his piece and let us know that it's unfair for left to be unpunished for accusing the right of election shenanigans?  That it's important to ignore the President and Rick Scott's explicit, knowingly false accusations of fraud directed at left wing candidates, and instead focus on the the legal pathways the left tried to explore to count as many ballots as possible?
He ended his pissy little rant and was met with a wall of silence.  Joe had a humorous look on his face, and Mika said, "ok."

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

What did Rothman say this morning?  That he had to say his piece and let us know that it's unfair for left to be unpunished for accusing the right of election shenanigans?  That it's important to ignore the President and Rick Scott's explicit, knowingly false accusations of fraud directed at left wing candidates, and instead focus on the the legal pathways the left tried to explore to count as many ballots as possible?
He ended his pissy little rant and was met with a wall of silence.  Joe had a humorous look on his face, and Mika said, "ok."

Or the systematic and deliberate purging of Georgia voters by Brian Kemp who oh-so-conveniently also happened to be planning a gubernatorial run?

No, no shenanigans there.

What a smarmy-faced little douche he is.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Abiding Dude said:

Noah Rothman is simply just unctuous and odious.

Unctuous and odious!  Loving!💗💖  Why do they continually have that little bitch on the show???  Isn't it bad enough that we have to suffer through Joe and Mika?  Different reasons, but we're still suffering.

• Love 7

Even with a throwaway insult towards Bill Clinton as being a worse liar than Trump.

Joe used the word, "Clintonian." It brought me back to when I was an Art History and Criticism major, where every noun could be made descriptive by adding ist or esque. It was very absurdist.

• Love 5

I found John Harwood to be the most reasonable person on the panel this morning during the discussion of the email server. I mean, everyone decried the hypocrisy, the Trump Entitlement Syndrome, etc., but Harwood was the one who said the Democrats shouldn't overplay their hand and make the same mistake the Republicans made. One of the Golddust Twins then replied that the media will look into it even if the House doesn't. Again, Harwood said that the media held some responsibility for overhyping the Clinton email scandal.

That's when our dear hosts got a bit huffy. One thing they share in common with Trump is that they do NOT like to have their past actions criticized.

Of course, Joe had to also remind us all that he told Clinton (on the air) what to do to get out of the jam but her team didn't take his advice. WHY WON'T PEOPLE LISTEN TO JOE???

The other thing Harwood said that I found interesting is that Fox & Friends spent something like 10 seconds in its first hour on the Ivanka story and that was only to quote her attorney saying that the story was misleading. 

• Love 6

I tuned in just in time for the (I think) former general who now teaches at William and Mary.  I've seen him lots of times but cannot remember his name; he has gravitas and now teaches at William and Mary.  He gave a somber critique of the use of troops for political purposes...it was, to me, riveting.  When he finished, Mika's voice...from the background...started kind of peppering him with questions.  Peppering...in a shocked, severe tone.  He had mildly criticized Colin Powell (I think he used to work for Powell) and Matthis for going along with political stunts.  She was terrible and a bit disrespectful.  She kept asking "what would you have done, what would you have done" until I wished the poor man could have reached through the screen and slapped her.  I think she was going for "serious journalist" but she failed miserably.  Again...cannot cannot stand her.  Don't know where Joe was - maybe he has the morning off or was taking a bathroom break.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I tuned in just in time for the (I think) former general who now teaches at William and Mary.  I've seen him lots of times but cannot remember his name; he has gravitas and now teaches at William and Mary.  He gave a somber critique of the use of troops for political purposes...it was, to me, riveting.  When he finished, Mika's voice...from the background...started kind of peppering him with questions.  Peppering...in a shocked, severe tone.  He had mildly criticized Colin Powell (I think he used to work for Powell) and Matthis for going along with political stunts.  She was terrible and a bit disrespectful.  She kept asking "what would you have done, what would you have done" until I wished the poor man could have reached through the screen and slapped her.  I think she was going for "serious journalist" but she failed miserably.  Again...cannot cannot stand her.  Don't know where Joe was - maybe he has the morning off or was taking a bathroom break.

That was Larry Wilkerson. He, along with Powell, made the case to the UN to go to war with Iraq. It was good to hear him say he'll regret that til his dying day. My problem with Mika interrupting and heckling him was not so much that she challenged him; it's just that her questions are always so nonsensical and just-slightly-off-point, if that makes sense.

Where Mika truly irritated me today was when that female guest (can't remember her name) was talking about the challenge to Pelosi. The guest quoted Michael Steele, who had pointed out that most of those pushing for Pelosi's ouster are men and that men in general have a problem with powerful women. Mika, champion of empowered women, could have really dug into that one and explored the issue in depth. Instead, she literally just said, "Hmmm...." and immediately moved onto an unrelated topic. Way to KYV, Mika.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 5

Meek-a just pronounced the word 'ridiculing' as "ri-DICK-you-ling".  Is this a thing now?  Or is she just a twit who attended Madeira and Williams and fell into this $$$$$ job because she's sleeping with the boss? 

• Love 4

The fact that Joe said "the press" and was referring to himself is an insult to journalists everywhere.

Joe you are NOT the press. You are a former Congressman who resigned under the shadow of a scandal, and for some reason  MSNBC hired you.  I know MSNBC thinks they have to have ill informed jackasses like you on to appear to be balanced, but you and your girlfriend couldn't run a grade school newsletter. 

Not to excuse the hypocrisy of Ivanka using a private email account, but isn't it widely known that this practice goes on all the time, that Colin Powell was using one? John Kerry used one?   And do we think Ivanka really has classified information she's sharing with anyone?  They don't even tell her father highly classified information unless it's absolutely necessary, for fear he'll tell the Russians. But Ivanka is getting briefings in the Sit Room now? 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

They don't even tell her father highly classified information unless it's absolutely necessary, for fear he'll tell the Russians.

The worry would be kompromat, more than her emailing the blueprints of the new space force laser beam.  Her use of an unsecured email is irresponsible, depending on what she was emailing to whom.  Prospective deals, shady dealings, investment volume, etc... all could be used against her and the US.  I doubt her or anyone in her orbit has access to anything having to do with national security, though.  In fact, I bet she's fed misinformation purposefully.
In the context of Buttery Mails the President's use of an ordinary cell phone staggeringly scandalous.  Yet nobody cares. 

• Love 4

Why was I not surprised that the MJ team applauded the White House Correspondents' Association decision to replace the traditional comedian at the "Nerd Ball" with a historian.   Trump demands comedian be removed last year; this year, the comedian's out.   MJ's viewpoint is right in line with Fox News, even as everybody else is accusing the WHCA of cowardice and appeasement of a man who calls the press the "enemy of the people," tries to deny members access to the White House, and threatens their constitutional right to do their job almost every day.   Scarborough and Geist's "golly gee, it'll be fun to hear a historian!" banter was cringeworthy.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

The worry would be kompromat, more than her emailing the blueprints of the new space force laser beam. 

Unfortunately that ship has sailed.  It's why Ivanka Trump is a WH Senior Aide.  Daddy's been compromised by the Russians for decades. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Meek-a just pronounced the word 'ridiculing' as "ri-DICK-you-ling".  Is this a thing now?  Or is she just a twit who attended Madeira and Williams and fell into this $$$$$ job because she's sleeping with the boss? 

She's said it that way before. 

Mika, stop trying to make riDICKyouling happen!

• Love 5

One hour is all I spend with MJ. And I don't know what made me pissed off most today.

Ivanka, trump being shamed into visiting troops in a war zone or Mattis looking stupider everyday.

I love Lawrence Wilkerson. He's been sounding the anti-republican alarms since he was a regular on Ed Schultz's show. That was a long time ago.

• Love 2

Mattis looking stupider everyday.

The thing with Mattis, Powell, etc.  is that military is ingrained in them.  They follow orders, and hope for the best. Its better 5,000 troops be sent to hang out on the Mexican border for a month than to the Middle East, or some made up bullshit where they get killed ie Iraq, Vietnam, etc.   I'd say according to the result of the election, the stunt didn't work.  Mattis could resign, Trump could install a puppet and the troops would have still been sent to the border. 

Ever since I can remember, there are two acronyms used to refer to how things operate in the military.

FUBAR and SNAFU.   

I like Lawrence Wilkerson but it's always easy to say "this is what I would have done" when you aren't the person in that position. He admitted he helped sell the Iraq war.  Knight Ridder was printing stories that it was all a lie, but every other news outlet was jumping on the war wagon, as well as Joe & Mika, contrary to Joe's denials. (He forgets how the internet works). 

According to Woodward's book, Mattis told Sean Spicer once, "I kill people for a living. If you call me again about going on talk shows to defend this Administration, I will have your ass sent to Afghanistan".  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

She's said it that way before. 

She has???  And no one's corrected her?  Unless it's the "new way" to say certain words.  Like back in the day, 'formidable' was pronounced "FORmidable".  Now I hear it said as "forMIDable".  Who decides these things?

• Love 3

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when Joe started his sermonette about not understanding why or how someone like Trump got elected. Really?  Joe--you really don't know how that happened?  He and Meek-a take absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for allowing Trump to have access to their show for nearly two years.  When they weren't doing that, their show became a daily skewering about every one of Hillary crimes, real or imagined, from her emails, her alleged corruption, her ties to Wall Street, and her failure and refusal to kiss the corn-encrusted feet of her husband's former paramours.

As for Ivanka, when it appeared that they were trying to trot out the "she was ignorant of the rules" excuses, thank goodness I wasn't the only one who yelled, "She doesn't give a DAMN about the rules!"  Joe admitted that Ivanka knew better but, the motto for this administration has been:  "We do whatever the fuck we want!  Now, what?!"  

It simply fascinates me that even with everything that's happened two years in, Meek-a and others will still find a way to give Ivanka the benefit of the doubt.  "They don't understand the system!"  That, while they tout her alleged intelligence and the schools she's attended, and heap unwarranted superlatives on her that clearly defy reality.  I agree that the matter should, indeed, be investigated.  Oh, and Meek'a, can you please choose better adjectives when describing what Ivanka did? "A thought-out act?"  How about simplifying it, using the word, "deliberate" instead?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

OMG, she must have some sort of weird tic with that word, because she did the same thing yesterday! And I noticed it because she's done it other times as well.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Eliot said:

OMG, she must have some sort of weird tic with that word, because she did the same thing yesterday! And I noticed it because she's done it other times as well.

Maybe her bun is too tight and it's short circuiting her speech function.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MulletorHater said:

It simply fascinates me that even with everything that's happened two years in, Meek-a and others will still find a way to give Ivanka the benefit of the doubt.  "They don't understand the system!"  That, while they tout her alleged intelligence and the schools she's attended, and heap unwarranted superlatives on her that clearly defy reality.  I agree that the matter should, indeed, be investigated.  Oh, and Meek'a, can you please choose better adjectives when describing what Ivanka did? "A thought-out act?"  How about simplifying it, using the word, "deliberate" instead?

Ivanka represents the kind of young woman Mika envisions as an ambassador of KYV.   Have you noticed Mika seems only politely interested when middle-aged or older women come on and engage her about KYV?   But I suspect she'd turn into a puddle of goo if one day a stylish and famous young woman like Ivanka were to visit the set and sing KYV's praises.   I think that's why Mika gives her so much latitude.

• Love 4

And do we think Ivanka really has classified information she's sharing with anyone? 

7:15 AM: Joe delightfully mocks Ivanka who said her emails on her private account were mostly for household issues. So then Joe points out that Ivanka emailed Wilbur Ross, but she was probably communicating "about the children's afternoon tennis lessons."  I was chortling in my bathtub.

I haven't been on here much.  I have a new boss so I can't spend the first 30 minutes of each day planning out a witty post here anymore (at least until I can figure out her angle!)  (Also, I don't really understand what is and isn't supposed to be posted here anymore..)  

• Love 3

Ivanka knows better than to use private email. How can she not know after the way the Republican party including Trump went after Hillary.  I was shocked when I first heard about Hillary's private email server but there is a context that is easy to forget when you consider the timing of when she was in office, at least for those who served prior to Hillary's time in office.  I was conflicted by what Hillary did but instead of spending millions of dollars to no purpose investigating her, after the first one, Congress should have instead taken it as a lesson learned and put laws in place for those in office going forward.  What happened was a complete waste of our taxpayer money!

Regarding the correspondent's dinner and comic host, I saw that segment on MJ.  The coarse, vulgar humor of the comics belongs in private clubs and not at a public event such as this.  Insult humor has gotten more mean and prevalent.  I agree with Joe and Willie on this topic.

• Love 7

Joe's neverending opening monologue seemed to be another one of his "I told you what he was like in 2016 but you didn't listen to me'. You can't untwist this pretzel.

The rest of the first hour was dark and scary. Not the way to start the day. :(

Always good to see Zaibab Salbi. Probably the smartest woman that's ever on. (Kasie's helmet hair is distracting and I mute her).

7am and we're discussing the band Boston. What? 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, stormy said:

Joe's neverending opening monologue seemed to be another one of his "I told you what he was like in 2016 but you didn't listen to me'. You can't untwist this pretzel.

The rest of the first hour was dark and scary. Not the way to start the day. :(

Always good to see Zaibab Salbi. Probably the smartest woman that's ever on. (Kasie's helmet hair is distracting and I mute her).

7am and we're discussing the band Boston. What? 

I would contend that Boston's second album, Don't Look Back was superior to the debut.    Even so, I like the first one so much that I probably couldn't bring myself to debate the guest this morning.

I missed the first hour, but will probably see the 8 am regurgitation.

What's the deal with Kasie's glasses?   Did they tell her to age herself by ten years?  Is S.E. Cupp her stylist now?

• Love 3

(Kasie's helmet hair is distracting and I mute her).

What in fresh hell is that hairdo?????? That is the worst hairdo I have seen on TV after Trump's.  I mean this.  What,did she all of a sudden offer to drive a minivan of kids to soccer games?  We need to get Anand in here to coach her on appropriate TV hair.

Yeah Joe and Barnicle, let's get some old dudes , probably wearing Obama's Dad jeans under the desk, to talk about Boston in order to seem fresh and relevant.

You can't untwist this pretzel.

I will use this from this moment forward!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, millennium said:

What's the deal with Kasie's glasses?  

Katie Tur has those same frames.  They're just like the ones Rachel wears IRL.   I swear I saw Stephanie Ruhle in a pair too. Does NBC have some deal with Warby Parker, but only for the same frame? 

I'm starting to think Joe & Mika paid Ivanka to use her private email, just so they'd have an excuse to trash Hillary Clinton. It only took 3 minutes for Joe to state that what Hillary did was EGREGIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

What adjective would we use for cohosts of a cable network program to prop up a candidate's run for the Presidency of the United States? Give him free air time 5 days a week?  Coach him on speeches?  Advise him constantly?  Hmmm.  

5 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

What in fresh hell is that hairdo??????

Yes she needs to trim it back to that shorter cut. Someone got carried away with the hairspray this morning.  Who's Anand? 

• Love 5

I watched the television show Morning Joe this morning.  I have no personal thoughts about it.  It was on TV.  Many people spoke.  A young man wrote an interesting book.  I hope that hot take wasn't too zesty.  Otherwise, I have no thoughts or personal feelings of this or anything.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I watched the television show Morning Joe this morning.  I have no personal thoughts about it.  It was on TV.  Many people spoke.  A young man wrote an interesting book.  I hope that hot take wasn't too zesty.  Otherwise, I have no thoughts or personal feelings of this or anything.

;}

• Love 1
2 hours ago, madfortv said:

Regarding the correspondent's dinner and comic host, I saw that segment on MJ.  The coarse, vulgar humor of the comics belongs in private clubs and not at a public event such as this.  Insult humor has gotten more mean and prevalent.  I agree with Joe and Willie on this topic.

Yeah, but we all know that’s not Joe’s (and thus, Mika’s) problem with Wolff and the dinner. His problem is she called their beautiful, lovely, wonderful relationship a #metoo that worked out. If she would have left that out he wouldn’t be involved in this. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, stormy said:

Always good to see Zaibab Salbi. Probably the smartest woman that's ever on.

She's like Sally Yates. They radiate competence. Linear thinking, economy of words, effective imagery. When they finish I realize that I'm leaning forward, like a dweeb.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

What in fresh hell is that hairdo?????? That is the worst hairdo I have seen on TV after Trump's.  I mean this.  What,did she all of a sudden offer to drive a minivan of kids to soccer games?  We need to get Anand in here to coach her on appropriate TV hair.

Saw it last week and thought "Hoo boy, someone's overdue for a trim." Saw it again a few days later, figured OK, her stylist is out of town. Saw it this morning and realized it's intentional. But she's on my shit list now so I care less than I would have a year ago. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Yeah, but we all know that’s not Joe’s (and thus, Mika’s) problem with Wolff and the dinner. His problem is she called their beautiful, lovely, wonderful relationship a #metoo that worked out. If she would have left that out he wouldn’t be involved in this. 

Nobody likes the truth.

I can understand complaints about the vulgarity; maybe the WHCA could have taken that into consideration and hired a less provocative comic, or someone more established and not so invested in making a name for themselves by going for the jugular.   I don't think ending the tradition altogether was the right move.

• Love 3