Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Just now, stormy said:

I too like Michael Moore and his passion for Michigan.  I'm glad he shut down the 2020 speculation.

But he didn't shut it down. He just disagreed on the candidate.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Smug Mika ruins it all.

This is a great post, thank you Landsnark as it is so true.  The second she opens her yap and starts screeching over folks that I would like to hear from I find every muscle in my body tightening up.  Boo.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

This is a great post, thank you Landsnark as it is so true.  The second she opens her yap and starts screeching over folks that I would like to hear from I find every muscle in my body tightening up.  Boo.

Guess she learned that from Joe.

It's hilarious when he turns to her this morning (or the rare times they're together) and says "Mika...". As if they haven't seen each other in a week and they have to catch up.

Joe tried to talk over Heilemann this morning but John kept right on talking.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Had to hurl at Mika trying to make the historic womens' congressional victories part of KYV.

Stick to the stuff you're good at, Mika.   Like contouring.

Yeah, there's nothing I like more than waking up to the sound of Dr. Brzezinski's daughter lecturing the women who actually did put themselves out there and "literally [stood] up to Donald Trump." As if they need her advice about putting in the work and knowing their value! It was a stark reminder that I really need to work on my prayer life because I don't want the first words out of my mouth for the day to be "Bitch, please!"

Then it's followed up by yelling and bloviating from Joe with his nuggets of wisdom, including that it doesn't matter what Donald Trump thinks because for the first time in two years, he doesn't have a subservient House and Senate anymore.  A casual observer could apply that sage bit of advice to Joe also, i.e. it doesn't matter what he thinks because most of it is nonsense.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, stormy said:

Guess she learned that from Joe.

It's hilarious when he turns to her this morning (or the rare times they're together) and says "Mika...". As if they haven't seen each other in a week and they have to catch up.

Joe tried to talk over Heilemann this morning but John kept right on talking.

Stormy, please know I have no problem with Mika speaking/challenging/participating but for the most part she adds no value to the conversation unless she can turn the spotlight back onto herself and her KYV pageant.  I feel the same way about Joe who clearly does the same thing.  Their show has devolved into a non-stop vanity project and is begging for a jump start with a new crew who actually wants to be there (looking at you my new favorite David Gura).

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:
7 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Stormy, please know I have no problem with Mika speaking/challenging/participating but for the most part she adds no value to the conversation unless she can turn the spotlight back onto herself and her KYV pageant.  I feel the same way about Joe who clearly does the same thing.  Their show has devolved into a non-stop vanity project and is begging for a jump start with a new crew who actually wants to be there (looking at you my new favorite David Gura).

You are right. Well unfortunately Joe and Mika are clueless on how to be show hosts and the way they run the show and where they run it from, is obviously ok with TPTB.

Maybe it's just too much work for MSNBC brass to care about this show and concentrate on prime time.

I think Joe and Mika would rather be sitting together in front of mics and have their own gab fest than having to bother trying to put together a coherent news based morning show.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Eliot said:

Michael Moore annoys the crap out of me. It's too soon to listen to him blather about 2020 and our need for a "beloved national figure" to run.

Oh gawd yes he annoys the crap out of me, too.  I can't stand it when he's on these shows, acting like he's some kind of political genius.  I change the channel whenever I see his face.

8 hours ago, oakville said:

He was right about Democrats needing to organize better and stop relying on Pelosi.

He might have been "right" but it's not like he was the only one saying that. 

He's overrated on MSNBC and he needs to clean himself up and go sit down somewhere.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5

Thursday morning recap. The show began with the sd news of another mass shooting. This time it was in a bar in California. Mika & Joe are on set together . Mika looks frumpy in her black outfit. It looks like she was going to a funeral. Joe's hair is darker & he isn't wearing his glasses. Why are Mika & Joe together on set? So odd:). Sam Stein is there and Willie & the token GOP panelist. Joe said Trump was devastated and he is doomed. He has no power and was mean to journalists. Joe said it was the biggest GOP loss since Watergate. I don't think winning additional Senate Seats & keeping control of the Governorships of Florida & Ohio will Doom Trump. Joe likes to have sycophants on his show , so he isn't better than Trump. Joe & Mika's new savior is Mitt Romney. Mitt made snarky tweets about Trump yesterday, so the Republican party is saved. Gee, these people don't know much about politics. Don't they remember Jeff Flake voting for Kavanaugh? Susan Collins?.

Joe went on about the GOP losing 323 legislative seats. This is almost as bad as Obama losing 1000 seats.

The comparisons I saw on other networks was a calculation of the number of seats lost by a President after his first 2 years in office. Clinton & Obama both lost more seats in the House of Representatives than Trump did.

The problem with this show now is that they refuse to have panelists on the show that will challenge Mika & Joe. Joe used to be relevant on MSNBC because he would offer a different opinion than most MSNBC hosts. Now he is stuck as a "token Conservative"

• Love 4

Did Joe say that if trump fires Mueller the House democrats can hire him to be their special investigator?

Yeah, the fact that Joe brings up Romney being the savior every morning is so funny I'm wondering if Romney's going to fly into the Senate ala Superman or Joe will start waring a  WWMRD bracelet.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, stormy said:

Did Joe say that if trump fires Mueller the House democrats can hire him to be their special investigator?

Yeah, the fact that Joe brings up Romney being the savior every morning is so funny I'm wondering if Romney's going to fly into the Senate ala Superman or Joe will start waring a  WWMRD bracelet.

I am old enough to remember Joe trashing Romney in 2012 primaries. Joe bragged that he voted for Ron Paul's dad. Joe was also mouthing off that Trump is weaker with 54 Senators than he was when he had 51. That makes no sense. Joe continues to minimize the Democratic losses in Florida, Georgia and Texas.

• Love 1

I suspect that Joe will call Trump a lame duck if he gets re elected. Perhaps , I am missing something since I haven't watched the show in months, but I think that Trump did better than expected on Tuesday night.

I remember recapping this show in January 2018 & they were talking every day about Trump having dementia and on the verge of being removed from office. It doesn't look like that now.

God I love Stephanie Ruhle, she just bulldozed through Joe trying to interrupt her . . . twice!

I missed the opening of the show but was treated to them snorting and chuckling over whether the caravan was coming with poor Yamiche Alcindor knowing that awful shooting story is going on.  A few minutes later when they switched to it and they put on their serious faces/tones I couldn't grab the remote fast enough.  Goodness they so deserve to lose this show and I am going to call MSNBC and tell them (again) this morning.  Assholes.

• Love 6

I like Mika's new hairdo. 
I LOVE Stephanie Ruhl school our two dummies on the economics of Trump's support.  She really did make Joe look dumb.  Not intentionally, her truths were finding their mark and our hero couldn't keep up.  I like Stephanie Ruhl.  I mean, I reeeeeeeally like Stephanie Ruhl.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, oakville said:

I am old enough to remember Joe trashing Romney in 2012 primaries. Joe bragged that he voted for Ron Paul's dad. Joe was also mouthing off that Trump is weaker with 54 Senators than he was when he had 51. That makes no sense. Joe continues to minimize the Democratic losses in Florida, Georgia and Texas.

I don't think Joe's minimizing the losses in FL, TX and GA. In fact I think he's saying watch out because those candidates barely lost.

Too bad there has to be this horrible shooting in the mix this morning. 

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, oakville said:

I suspect that Joe will call Trump a lame duck if he gets re elected. Perhaps , I am missing something since I haven't watched the show in months, but I think that Trump did better than expected on Tuesday night.

I remember recapping this show in January 2018 & they were talking every day about Trump having dementia and on the verge of being removed from office. It doesn't look like that now.

Oakville, I don't know if Trump deserves credit for winning FL and GA because he did a lot of campaigning in areas where he lost (Montana comes to mind) and to be honest the senate seats they did gain should have been by bigger margins between the gerrymandering and voter suppression nonsense not to mention Beto probably making Cruz wet himself.    Joe and his blathering about how things work reminds me of old people that can still remember when bread was a nickle (I actually stole that line from David Schuster) but I don't think hardly any of those people sitting around the table understand what is happening with people that are just trying to live their daily lives or why they are voting the way they do.  When you've had a steady, well paying job with benefits since the financial crisis I guess it's just hard to fathom how much things have changed.

• Love 6

Mika's mocking fake concern over the caravan being an imminent threat and small pox and so forth... is just nauseating.  She's the girl who tries so hard to be funny, but has the opposite effect.  Bless your heart, Mika.  You are not funny.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Mika's mocking fake concern over the caravan being an imminent threat and small pox and so forth... is just nauseating.  She's the girl who tries so hard to be funny, but has the opposite effect.  Bless your heart, Mika.  You are not funny.

And it's even harder to watch when someone like Stephanie is on the set.  Stephanie is very animated and can cut into conversations but you know whatever it is she is going to say is worth listening to and makes Meeks look even worse/weak.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Oakville, I don't know if Trump deserves credit for winning FL and GA because he did a lot of campaigning in areas where he lost (Montana comes to mind) and to be honest the senate seats they did gain should have been by bigger margins between the gerrymandering and voter suppression nonsense not to mention Beto probably making Cruz wet himself.    Joe and his blathering about how things work reminds me of old people that can still remember when bread was a nickle (I actually stole that line from David Schuster) but I don't think hardly any of those people sitting around the table understand what is happening with people that are just trying to live their daily lives or why they are voting the way they do.  When you've had a steady, well paying job with benefits since the financial crisis I guess it's just hard to fathom how much things have changed.

I miss the old Morning Joe where they would visit a city and have in depth discussions about what is going on in the economy, schools etc. I guess they don't care anymore now that they are together. Joe was again bragging about how he stood up to Newt Gingrich  in the 1990s.

I laughed at Joe saying that it was a shame that his former BFF lost a seat in Congress because Trump endorsed someone else.

2 hours ago, millennium said:

It's hard to watch when those two try to do an improv routine.   It always goes on much longer than it should.   And it's never funny.

Was that the bit about the puzzle pieces? 

What's with the new table? That's from the MTP Daily set.

I wonder if Mika told the camera people to be sure and shoot her from the side and back so she can show off the little twisty hair piece the stylist used to hide all the short hair she's trying to pin up into a bun.  As well as her ever sharpening jaw line. Before long she's going to look like Alien. 

• Love 2

Most sane people can admit that there was no "blue wave" as was expected.  It seems that Joe and Mika watched a different election than everyone else.  They are positively giddy with their excitement over the results.   

It's hard to watch when those two try to do an improv routine.   It always goes on much longer than it should.   And it's never funny.

Exactly.  It's just weird.   

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Bless your heart, Mika.  You are not funny.

"I’m not funny how?   I mean not funny like I’m not a clown? I don't amuse you?  I don't make you laugh?  I’m here to not fuckin’ amuse you? Waddya mean “not funny”? Not funny how? How am I not funny?"

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, neece26 said:

Most sane people can admit that there was no "blue wave" as was expected.

I think this is what they were talking about: the hurdles that had to be overcome, gerrymandering, voter suppression, it kinda was.  Florida and Georgia are about to have recounts in the governors' election, and a Democrat beat Karen Handel in Georgia. She had beat Jon Ossoff in that special election last year. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/08/democrats-republicans-senate-majority-minority-rule

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

She's the girl who tries so hard to be funny, but has the opposite effect.  Bless your heart, Mika.  You are not funny.

It's so uncomfortable watching her try to be 'cool'.  She was never cool.  Not when she was a kid.  Or a teenager.  Or ever.  She has no concept of contemporary humor, irony, snark, nothing.  That whole bit today was cringe-worthy.  And I hate when she fake half-laughs when somebody else says something truly humorous and she doesn't really get it but feels like she should chuckle so it looks like she's in on the joke too.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, oakville said:

T claims that he sleeps only 5 hours per night, sometimes less. Insomnia, hostility, aggression and anger are symptoms of early dementia, before it's  diagnosed due to later, undeniable symptoms. There's a school of thought that some of the hostility, aggression, and anger is caused by feelings of frustration because they realize and resent that their mental abilities are failing. (I saw that when I worked in a locked memory unit for a few years).  His father had Alzheimer's for the last 6 years of his life and the process typically begins years before the diagnosis. Which is what we now know was happening with Reagan during his last term. I don't enjoy agreeing with Joey and Mika but I give some credence to what they said about dementia. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I missed today's show, but was no one talking about Jeff Sessions being forced out and replaced by Trump's trumpy?  And the possible implications of that?

Yes, (my man) Jeremy Bash dismissed Joe's premise in the intro to his segment and then made reasoned, plausible points re avenues/recourses for protecting Mueller from the same fate. State time v federal time for T's family came up and state jurisdictions being as capable as the feds and of course T can't can't pardon state time. The kicker was JB said Mueller could legally speak publicly about the investigation if he is relieved of his assignment. (I don't think I've heard that before, anywhere). Not only that he could speak, but that he would have a moral and (IIRC) legal obligation to do so! And that, given his long career of honorable public service, JB very much looks forward to hearing what he has to say. Hey, not for nothing was JB Chief of Staff at CIA  and the DoD! The hack who replaces Sessions came to T's attention via his appearances on and columns he wrote for CNN. Given that T relieved CNN's Jim Acosta of his WH press credentials yesterday, the irony is rich indeed. I wish I could recall the segment better but I was dazzled by JB's, ahem, expertise and sleepy because morning comes early around here. Maybe someone else will recap it better. :)

Edited by suomi
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, stormy said:

I don't think Joe's minimizing the losses in FL, TX and GA. In fact I think he's saying watch out because those candidates barely lost.

Too bad there has to be this horrible shooting in the mix this morning. 

Joe should have done an in depth analysis of what happened in Florida. This should have been a slam dunk for the Democrats based on the polls. They should have done a special Morning Joe from Florida since they have a property there

18 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Joe may be sexist.  He may not.  The show certainly isn't.  The interplay between those two is unhealthy, and it possibly could stem from some misogyny Joe harbors, but it's in no way a defining characteristic of him or his show.  He's a bully.  She's out of her depth.  It's fair to describe her as such.  To give her idiocy leeway in order to pander to her gender is sexist.
That list of her "accomplishments" is nonsense.  She embodies the axiom that it's all about just showing up.  What should be more notable is her meager contributions to 60 Minutes... they loved her so much they used her... once? Twice?  Excellent.  She was a part time weekend anchor, and a reporter who would break breaking news.  Know what that really is?  A bench player.  Only the JV team work weekends in spot duty.

Mika would not be a co host of a cable news show if Joe wasn't interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with her. Mika chose to be unfaithful to her husband in order to be a "star" on TV. The whole "Know Your Value" shctik is useless. Joe was interested in her since 2008. he gave her part of his bonus in order to gain her affection for him.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, millennium said:

"I’m not funny how?   I mean not funny like I’m not a clown? I don't amuse you?  I don't make you laugh?  I’m here to not fuckin’ amuse you? Waddya mean “not funny”? Not funny how? How am I not funny?"

Goodfellas?

8 hours ago, suomi said:

T claims that he sleeps only 5 hours per night, sometimes less. Insomnia, hostility, aggression and anger are symptoms of early dementia, before it's  diagnosed due to later, undeniable symptoms. There's a school of thought that some of the hostility, aggression, and anger is caused by feelings of frustration because they realize and resent that their mental abilities are failing. (I saw that when I worked in a locked memory unit for a few years).  His father had Alzheimer's for the last 6 years of his life and the process typically begins years before the diagnosis. Which is what we now know was happening with Reagan during his last term. I don't enjoy agreeing with Joey and Mika but I give some credence to what they said about dementia. 

Good analysis !. I saw a hockey sweater from Finland with your screen name on it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, neece26 said:

Most sane people can admit that there was no "blue wave" as was expected.  It seems that Joe and Mika watched a different election than everyone else.  They are positively giddy with their excitement over the results.   

Exactly.  It's just weird.   

I guess that Mika & Joe like to live in an "bubble" . They used to be so much better at political analysis.

• Love 1

Sorry Oakville, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

MJ was supposed to be live in FL the Friday that the pipe bomb story took over the news.

No matter. Joe doesn't have the influence to alter any election results anywhere.

As it is, the governor's race in FL is headed for a recount and they're still counting the votes for senator. 

There are still eleven house seats to be decided

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, stormy said:

Sorry Oakville, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

MJ was supposed to be live in FL the Friday that the pipe bomb story took over the news.

No matter. Joe doesn't have the influence to alter any election results anywhere.

As it is, the governor's race in FL is headed for a recount and they're still counting the votes for senator. 

There are still eleven house seats to be decided

OK, what do we disagree on ? I expect better analysis from Joe. Joe should be able to get the key players in Florida on the show rather than sitting around with his drinking buddies on the panel.

• Love 1

Joe and Mika seem to be correct about the Blue Wave they were discussing this morning. It seems as though once all the votes are counted Dems may gain 40 seats in the House - the most since Watergate, I believe - and Rs may only gain 1 in the Senate. 

• Love 6

I haven’t watched often lately but Mika looks amazing! Lipstick with color! The works she’s had done on her face is top notch. Her skin is flawless, all of her makeup is fantastic!  Kudos to all involved!

• Love 2

I'm glad Neal Kotyeal was on this morning.  Is congress in session?  How is it that Neal Kotyeal  and George Conway can write an editorial and we hear nothing from republican senators?  

I find this very scary and it's six weeks till the dems take over the congress.

Joe read Rudy's tweet. But did he say that the lawyer representing Andrew Gillum is the same lawyer that represented W in 2000. I saw him on Chris Hayes show last night.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1

Mika is so weird.  It's not just me, right?  Joe was making a point and she leaned all the way in on him, looked up in his face, then looked at the people at the table, and nodded and looked at them each and raised her eyebrows for silent emphasis of what Joe is saying, and wiggled a bit and looked back at Joe and then looked at everyone else and made really odd facial expressions.  I think she may have offered a "yep," and a "mmmhm" too.

It can't just be me.  It's weird as hell, right?

She called the acting AG "ripped" and went off on a Mika tangent saying the word "ripped" and making fun of lifting weights.  It was in her so odd way of not being in the lead, but speaking as background audio.  The people are talking, and she's in the background saying "ripped.  I'm ripped.  Got to get riiippped."  Do you all see it too?  Have I had a stroke?

• Love 6

She called the acting AG "ripped"

Has she seen him w/o his shirt?  He looks like a big doughy baby.  

I did notice the eyebrow arching and glaring, and the moony looks at Joe.  He must have bought her a new purse. 

• Love 7

I was pleased to see Mika pushing back on the new Ohio governor for not answering her very fundamental question as to whether he believed healthcare was a right. Disappointed she didn't pin him down, but I give her credit for calling him out for answering a different question than the one she posed.

Was it me, or was Joe completely misrepresenting what happened with the Florida recount in 2000? It was the Bush campaign that sued to stop the recount! (that's why the lawsuit was Bush v Gore, not Gore v Bush). The way he was framing it, the whole controversy was around whether military votes would be counted, when that was, in fact, a tiny piece of the overall problem (and the fact was, these ballots came in late and, technically, should not have counted).

I agree that Mika's hair will look better when it is longer. I still think she should speed it up with some strategically placed extensions to eliminate the awkward wispy shit that's happening at the back of her head. But I do like the little pin-up thing she's doing and her makeup looked way less harsh today.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 2

Katy Kay looked horrible today. She was upset at Avenatti wanting a white male to be the democratic nominee. Katy wants a female nominee. She thinks Trump will say something outrageous at her and she will win. Gee Katy, how did that work out in 2016?

Mika is obsessed with the new attorney generals muscles. It’s weird. If the AG was a woman, she would use that language. 

Joe said Trump won’t run in 2020 or might be challenged by Nikki Haley. Joe defended Mark Sanfordtoday saying Trump should have been nicer to him.

where is the set now? Washington ?

joe said he wanted to go to Boca Raton  for the recount. 

• Love 2

Mika is so weird.  It's not just me, right?  Joe was making a point and she leaned all the way in on him, looked up in his face, then looked at the people at the table, and nodded and looked at them each and raised her eyebrows for silent emphasis of what Joe is saying, and wiggled a bit and looked back at Joe and then looked at everyone else and made really odd facial expressions.  I think she may have offered a "yep," and a "mmmhm" too.

It can't just be me.  It's weird as hell, right?

She called the acting AG "ripped" and went off on a Mika tangent saying the word "ripped" and making fun of lifting weights.  It was in her so odd way of not being in the lead, but speaking as background audio.  The people are talking, and she's in the background saying "ripped.  I'm ripped.  Got to get riiippped."  Do you all see it too?  Have I had a stroke?

It's not just you.  There was a moment there where I could have sworn she gave Joe this adoring look--almost coquettish.  I wasn't sure if it was the heavy eyeliner and mascara that made it seem that way or not.  It's beyond annoying the way these two turn everything into a joke, no matter how serious the subject matter.  It's also annoying that they seem to work out their relationship issues on the air, which makes the audience voyeurs to their dysfunction.

Meek-a constantly referring to Whitaker as "ripped" pissed me off to the highest of pissivity.  Okay!  We heard you the first time!  Why keep bringing it up, or are you just that daft? The fate of the Republic is at stake and all you can do is talk about how "ripped" Whitaker is as if he was a Mr. Universe contestant.  Dr. Z must roll over in his grave any number of times to see how stunningly superficial his daughter is!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to stick around for the discussion about why Trump's appointment of Whitaker as acting AG is unconstitutional.  I had a chance to read Katyal and Conway's op-ed piece in The New York Times and actually looked forward to their interview.  It reminds me of the old days when the show had people on who were actually knowledgeable about the subject matters on which they spoke.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

I agree that Mika's hair will look better when it is longer

She did look better with it longer, and with some lowlights so it isn't so Bond Villainess platinum. It would warm up her complexion and she would save a ton of $ on bronzer. 

Reason #5,000,601 that Mika should not be allowed the read the news: she just introduced newly-re-elected Senator Sherrie Brown as Ohio’s “newly re-elected governor.”

Barnicle has traded in “people sitting around their kitchen table” for “people standing in line at the drugstore.”

• Love 8