Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, stormy said:

I've taken to hitting mute when Kasie opens her mouth.

I had to stop following her on Twitter. 

I didn't watch today at all. I decided if I wanted to watch a blonde in a political setting, House of Cards would do just fine.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, madfortv said:

That commercial has run abut 3 times since I've been watching.  It reminds me of bad movie clips I've seen from the 1950's and earlier.  Is Frankenstein on it too!

NBC has belatedly come out and stated they will no longer run the ad because it is "insensitive." Thanks, NBC. I'm sure the millions and millions of people who saw it during last night's football game will totally forget the content.

I was in and out of the show this morning. Did they emphatically condemn it?

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I had to stop following her on Twitter. 

I didn't watch today at all. I decided if I wanted to watch a blonde in a political setting, House of Cards would do just fine.  

Ah too soon my friend as she got dragged hard yesterday about a poorly worded and quickly mushroomed tweet.  I was surprised Mama Mika didn't leap to her defense this morning but then again she was probably just glad it wasn't her for a change,

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

Did they talk at all about how Kasie! got dragged on Twitter all last night for her wholly inappropriate de facto endorsement of a Republican House candidate after she interviewed him on her show? It was shockingly tone deaf and unprofessional.

Kasie being dragged has gotten to be commonplace, especially after appearances on MJ. She is letting her leanings show, which would be fine if she were solely the host of a show but she's not. I find it hard to take her actual reporting seriously anymore as a result.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, madfortv said:

That commercial has run abut 3 times since I've been watching.  It reminds me of bad movie clips I've seen from the 1950's and earlier.  Is Frankenstein on it too!

The scariest part of that commercial shown on MJ this morning (I tuned this morning to see what they would say about the election) is that the target audience isn't in on the joke.   

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Eliot said:

Did they talk at all about how Kasie! got dragged on Twitter all last night for her wholly inappropriate de facto endorsement of a Republican House candidate after she interviewed him on her show? It was shockingly tone deaf and unprofessional.

The polls were not as incorrect as everyone claims. They showed Hillary ahead nationally, which was the case. And Trump won the EC by 77,000 votes in three states, well within the margin of error for those statewide polls.

The problem i that the NY Times & 538.com and other websites kept showing that Hillary an 80-90% chance of winning the EC. It was dead wrong.  I am pretty sure I recapped Jennifer Granholm being all Giddy about Hillary winning Michigan etc by substantial margin.

• Love 1
On 11/2/2016 at 10:21 AM, stormy said:

So disappointed in Prof Eddie.  It's pathetic that a prof at Princeton sends a message to young voters, just don't vote if you dislike the candidates and live in blue state.

I think Eddie Glau should have apologized to viewers for being so cynical about politics. Eddie should have encouraged voters to show up in all states.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2016 at 9:56 AM, scoobie1 said:

So for first 1/2 hr I had to listen to Joe go on and on about how CLOSE the race is. Pennsylvania is up in the air! NH is up in the air! Michigan is so tight! People this race is CLOSE who knows what's going to happen.  Then Willie, of all people, says one line :you know all those states you mention lean heavily Democratic so Trump has to pull off close to a miracle to turn them" (paraphrasing). The voice of reason, but he only gets one line. Then Joe goes back to how close it is anyway.  Then Steve Schmidt gets his own one minute to speak and uses it to say the race is over, has been over for a while. He'll be surprised if she doesn't get at least 320 EVs.  To which Joe responds with "you really think so??" .  I mean how much more cartoonish can this show get?   I had to turn the whole thing off to go to work but I might watch the rest later.   A 3 hour show only takes me about 1/2 hr to watch b/c I fast forward so much of it. 

I just really need her to win BIG so I can see Joe cry on Wednesday.  I wish he would just leave MSNBC and go work for his guy, Trump.  Please just go Joe.

Just refreshing people's memories. Joe was actually right about Penn,NH & Michigan

• Love 2
On 11/8/2016 at 6:46 AM, oakville said:

Morning Joe election episode. Joe is wearing his navy fleece. Mika is wearing a v neck black top. Ratner is on the set. Mika is happy for Hillary. Joe said if Hillary wins Florida, it's over. Joe is happy that there are many early voters. Mika said her daughters are active on Campus. Lady Gaga endorsed Hillary!. Jon Bon Jovi endorsed Hillary! Joe has a new talking point. He said that Trump may have lost the election on opening day by attacking Mexicans as rapists & being anti hispanic. I am glad that no one ever thought of that before. :)

Joe said he was tough on Trump & Clinton.

Meacham said a Clinton presidency will be like another act of Shakespeare. The wife of a President has never become President before.

David Ignatieus said the election is process is too long in the USA.

Ignatious can't believe Trump beat 16 other GOP candidates.

Recap from Election Day 2016

On 11/8/2016 at 7:08 AM, oakville said:

Joe said that Trump connects better in Michigan than previous GOP nominees. Meacham called him a Archie Bunker Billionaire.

Joe said the revolution of 2016 is the rise of Sanders & Trump.

Joe was right about Trump doing better than expected in Michigan

• Love 1
On 11/8/2016 at 9:27 AM, Mumbles said:

I can't stand Granholm. She always acts as if she's auditioning for a talk show host gig. 

It was a little rich for Nantucket Joe and Bank of America Barnicle to take it down a notch and talk about how someone needs to just *talk*  to the Trump supporters  and find out what makes them tick and then just maybe we can come together as a nation. I have watched hundreds of hours of this show leading up to this election and other than Michael Moore, I can't think of any time spent on getting into the minds and concerns of the Trump voter. It's been all polls, gossip, inside baseball, a month of rants against Trump when Joe was mad at him. And there are plenty of writers and journalists who have looked into this. A waste of a forum.

This was a very intuitive comment. Michael Moore was right about Trump doing well in the midwest.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2016 at 2:30 AM, Mumbles said:

Interestingly, Matthews asked the panel, other than Trump, Conway and maybe Giuliani, who gets to say "I told you so" tomorrow? And Nicolle replied, Joe and Mika have been calling this for months, they saw the appeal of Trump. Chris smirked and said, oh really? and then muttered something I couldn't hear and Nicolle looked a bit taken aback. Damn, I wish I knew what he said (close-captioning didn't work.)

Yikes!

6 hours ago, oakville said:

I think Eddie Glau should have apologized to viewers for being so cynical about politics. Eddie should have encouraged voters to show up in all states.

Actually, Oakville, Eddie has backtracked his remarks.  He was on MSNBC over the weekend and pretty much did say he should not have been running around TV and social media saying that.

However, I have not liked him since then and have not changed my mind about him.  Two years later given the fact that voters did stay home and it did have an effect on the election outcome, I don't listen to what he says and always wonder, why he's on MSNBC anyway.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

Well I see we are off to a yawning start, talk about low energy but then again when you have the same conversation every day for six months it does deflate the big day a bit.  Great clip of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog neuter Ted Cruz and here is today's fun fact:  Betsy Woodruff (who is/was on the panel this morning) is engaged to Jonathan Swan!

• Love 3

I tuned in to watch the show for a few minutes. I was surprised to see Mika & Joe together. The entire panel is too predictable. Mika starting moaning about the media giving Trump a free pas since 2015 7 a complant congress etc. Mika & Joe forget that they did this with Trump for ratings. Poor Nate Silver is now stuck with Mika & Joe. I don't take anything Joe says seriosly anymore. Joe complained about Trump Apprentice TV ratings. really?

It seems to me that the media loves covering every dumb thing Trump says because its good for ratings.

• Love 5

8:07 AM EST:  I think we have our first "Women lined up in the rain to vote" reference from Joe. AT 6:40 Am today I was a woman lined up in the rain to vote!! I was #3 in line! (I did not take a selfie because I wasn't sure if that was illegal in PA) I spent my time in line waiting trying to decide if wearing a trucker hat automatically makes you a Trump voter.

They gave Kasie a lightening bolt again! Cripes! Mika complained and said "We're done with that."  Yes mam--until Kasie shows up one day looking prettier than Mika (in fact Kasie finally looked decent today, wearing magenta), then cue the Frankie Valli song, "Lightening's Striking Again."

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

I missed Kornacki's nap? I missed Nate Silver? Argh.

At 6 am Kornacki was up and running around his maps like a crazed George Carlin when he did his Hippie Dippie Weatherman.

I'm beginning to wonder what Joe's real motive is, when again this morning, he started his Adam Putnam would be 14 points ahead of Andrew Gillum.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, stormy said:

I'm beginning to wonder what Joe's real motive is, when again this morning, he started his Adam Putnam would be 14 points ahead of Andrew Gillum.

He thinks he's the savior of the Republican Party. Sitting on the sidelines, doling out his sage advice like some kind of wise old seer. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. 

I

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Me too! Also in PA (Bucks County)!

Me three!  I got all wet and everything and I didn't melt.  I know my value (and apparently saturation point).

I'm sorry I missed Nate Silver but I'm sure he'll be on again today especially tonight.  And I don't know if anyone noticed but did anyone see the Williams/Maddow promo box in the lower right hand corner during MJ because it caught my eye immediately when Stephanie came on.  At least there will be something new and interesting to talk about tomorrow in front of their shiny, new studio audience.

• Love 2

My favorite moment:  Chris Matthews on the panel; Mika is wetting herself with excitement like a fan-girl.  Mika says that she will be glued to his show tonight.  Chris casually says, 'Oh we're not having any of our shows tonight; we'll all be together as a group' (I'm paraphrasing).  So, apparently JoMeeka aren't part of the In Group.  Or their invitation got lost in the mail.  She had no idea what the election night schedule was on her own channel.  The whole bit was a thing of beauty.  Smackdown!!!

• Love 13

I meant to post this earlier, but I was super annoyed at Willie's softball interview of the NRCC guy. He had the perfect opportunity to put him on the spot and ask if he approved of/endorsed the racist Trump commercial and instead burbled some mealy-mouthed question about whether or not Republicans should have focused on the strong economy.

As long as our media refuse to put people like this on notice that these tactics aren't acceptable, we'll continue to get more of the same. Don't let them off the hook!

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Eliot said:

As long as our media refuse to put people like this on notice that these tactics aren't acceptable, we'll continue to get more of the same. Don't let them off the hook!

Replying in Small Talk

Starting off in the shallow end this morning:  I can't tell - but I hope Meek-a's hair is pinned up in the back and not chopped all off again.

Barnicle looks really old today.  Maybe because he had a long night, but still . . . . . . . .

Kaisie is there to be the female voice, because with Joe at Meek-a's side, she will be mute.

3 minutes ago, millennium said:

Happy End of One-Party Rule  (to borrow Scarborough's phrase).

I like how you think!  Thank you.  And yes, I saw the end of your sentence, but I can't bring myself to thank Squinty for anything.  Oh wait , yes I can.  Thanks Joe, for giving tRump a free platform to spew his sh*t in 2016, so that he ended up in the WH. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, millennium said:

I'm pleased to say good morning to everyone today -- oh, and Happy End of One-Party Rule  (to borrow Scarborough's phrase).

If I heard correctly (always an iffy proposition because I'm usually half-asleep while watching), Mika gave some of her sage advice to the women who won House races. She said something like "You'll have to do it yourself; no one will help you." The irony is breathtaking.

And while Joe seemed pretty pleased about the End of One-Party Rule, why did he have to warn left-wing bloggers to temper what they write today? Did he actually say (paraphrasing) "Don't write we need to abolish the Senate, man!"

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

And while Joe seemed pretty pleased about the End of One-Party Rule, why did he have to warn left-wing bloggers to temper what they write today? Did he actually say (paraphrasing) "Don't write we need to abolish the Senate, man!"

Yeah, what was that? 

• Love 3

Trying to watch Joe today. Rev Al makes sense that many voters in Georgia were purged from the rolls. I am surprised that Joe didn't apologize to viewers for getting so many races wrong. It's stunning that Florida stayed GOP in the Senate & Governor Race.  Mika is useless as a commentator. The panel should have brought Michael Moore back on the show to explain what happened last night.

46 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Good morning, everyone! 

Joe is gloating and for once I DO NOT MIND ONE BIT.

What is there to gloat about? The GOP did much better than expected in the Senate. Macaskill was a Morning Joe regular guest and was defeated soundly.

• Love 3

Mr. Kemper got up early this morning to watch MJ and to work on tempering his smugness with his horrible golf group.  I held out as long as I could but finally joined him; and I have to wonder what on earth I am watching.

Meeka is manic; no other word for it. Joe, as usual, is making it all about him.  Who is "Walter" - I know I have seen him a lot of times but can never remember; former newspaper person?  And the constant working KYV into everything.  Are they in Florida?   When I started watching there was a smart woman who had just been elected governor; Meeka was giddy; it was too too much.  Can these two never not make it about them and their interests/books/ambitions.

Shallow.  What is with Meeka's hair?  I kind of like an updo but it looks like she pinned it up herself; the stray locks escaping to her neck are not attractive; usually that look is nice...a few wavy strays (a good name for a band?) can be so pretty.  But hers just hang there and droop.  I am turning into a mean-spirited person and am not proud.   

Are they re-running the 6:00 hour?  Since they are airing in front of a crowd...I would think not.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, oakville said:

Trying to watch Joe today. Rev Al makes sense that many voters in Georgia were purged from the rolls. I am surprised that Joe didn't apologize to viewers for getting so many races wrong. It's stunning that Florida stayed GOP in the Senate & Governor Race.  Mika is useless as a commentator. The panel should have brought Michael Moore back on the show to explain what happened last night.

What is there to gloat about? The GOP did much better than expected in the Senate. Macaskill was a Morning Joe regular guest and was defeated soundly.

Oh my friend Oakville if you are going to move to Florida you better get used to these kinds of election results because that's how they roll.  Same thing with GA.  As for McCaskill, she had been blessed with horror stories for opponents the last two cycles so even though I think the guy that won is being looked at for something shall we say hinkey Claire finally ran out of runway.

Oh goody, now here's Peggy Noonan to the rescue.  She must have been up late, her hair looks tired.

Hee and I thought my day was made seeing/listening to the fabulous Carole King and now Andrea Mitchell just called Devin Nunes a clown, love!

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Mr. Kemper got up early this morning to watch MJ and to work on tempering his smugness with his horrible golf group.  I held out as long as I could but finally joined him; and I have to wonder what on earth I am watching.

Meeka is manic; no other word for it. Joe, as usual, is making it all about him.  Who is "Walter" - I know I have seen him a lot of times but can never remember; former newspaper person?  And the constant working KYV into everything.  Are they in Florida?   When I started watching there was a smart woman who had just been elected governor; Meeka was giddy; it was too too much.  Can these two never not make it about them and their interests/books/ambitions.

Shallow.  What is with Meeka's hair?  I kind of like an updo but it looks like she pinned it up herself; the stray locks escaping to her neck are not attractive; usually that look is nice...a few wavy strays (a good name for a band?) can be so pretty.  But hers just hang there and droop.  I am turning into a mean-spirited person and am not proud.   

Are they re-running the 6:00 hour?  Since they are airing in front of a crowd...I would think not.

Kemper I believe the "Walter" is Walter Isaacson who gets propped up at the table sporadically.  I am so with you on Meek's hair.  I do have sympathy for that "growing out" phase but goodness somebody toss her a couple more pins please.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, shok said:

Jeebus. I've heard it from all the pundits, mostly right wing, throughout all this election coverage that the Democrats now have to solve all the problems of America but now Reverend Al is blathering about it on MJ. They have to fix health care, they have to be bipartisan and work with Republicans to change the ugly tone in Washington, they have to make America great again, they have to be the miracle workers. They won the House but the orange buffoon and McConnell the rest of the Republicans are still there and the Democrats are hardly going to be able to have much effect on how the government is run. For the next two years, Joe is going to be blaming every problem on the Democrats. 

I'm growing tired of that line, too.   The Republicans turned the Congress into Donald Trump's own Star Chamber, but now it's on Democrats to refrain from holding them to the fire for it because that would make Trump and the Republicans look like victims.   Oh no, we mustn't give them any distress.   Bad Democrats!  Bad!

Sadly though, that is the reality.  

Carole King?  Really?  Why?

• Love 7

Joe is gloating and for once I DO NOT MIND ONE BIT.

What is there to gloat about?

One of the late night hosts called it"a blue trickle."  It's pretty underwhelming considering how awful the Republicans/Trump have been.

Had to hurl at Mika trying to make the historic womens' congressional victories part of KYV.

Isn't that product placement? If Willie owned a protein shake company, he couldn't say, "Wow I only got thru last night because of my Rev Yourself Up Protein Shake."  Why is Mika allowed to constantly plug her side hustle?

I cannot believe this, but I never before heard the story about how Joe's Dad said he would be voting for Joe's contender for the House race when Joe decided to run.  That was a cute story.

• Love 5

8:50 AM: Oh God when Michael Moore asked who can beat Trump is 2020 and Mika piped in, "Kamala Harris!!"  MM shut that down real quick and Mika goes, "Well I'm usually right."  Oh God, yeah Kamala Harris is going to beat Trump.  Ok then, Mika.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Why is Carole King there?  It's 2018
This show is ludicrous.  Steve Schmidt must be like, what am I doing here?

Maybe Joe's competing with Bill Maher who had Barbara Streisand as a guest Friday.

I'm hoping to see Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme on Hardball. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

Maybe Joe's competing with Bill Maher who had Barbara Streisand as a guest Friday.

This is the best, honest-to-God-laugh I have had this morning!  And I love(d) Steve and Eydie.  

Actually, the best belly-laugh I get is reading the comments in the Orange County Housewives thread.  We have talented, witty, smart people on this web site.  

• Love 4

Sadly, Eydie died some years ago.

I like Donnie today. He seemed to relish sticking trump with "he's never had to answer to anyone before". But I wish he wouldn't call him a pig. I like pigs and they're smart.

• Love 5

Democrats will not be over redistricting?  America voted for republicans at that level as well.  Why would they change things?  They'll never win anything.  They need gerrymandering and the electoral college.

Wish they'd stop talking about Trump not talking about the economy.  Most sane people know Trump is riding on Obama's coattails.  Obama was on "Ws" coattails after his first two years.  Thus, Obama got shellac as Joe put it.  And, people evidently looked the other way on Trump's transgressions because he's really on Obama's.  It takes a while to turn an economy where the citizens can feel it. 

Trump knows his supporters.  Just like Eddie said, they're selfish, racist or greedy.  We just didn't know there were that many people in America like that.  Obviously, we only care about fairness, decency, righteousness, etc when it applies to women or POC. How else can you explain people voting for white men under indictment (Hunter and Collins)?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Had to hurl at Mika trying to make the historic womens' congressional victories part of KYV.

Yeah that was nauseating. 

Also Joe totally misrepresenting "To Kill A Mockingbird".  Tom, not Jim was accused of rape, not murder. And I'm pretty sure Atticus never said "hey Scout the jury thought about acquitting him".

This is what Atticus said to Jem “I don’t know, but they did it. They’ve done it before and they did it tonight and they’ll do it again and when they do it—seems that only children weep.”

And yes I immediately tweeted at him WTF book are you talking about? 

21 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I heard it's a Hologram of Sinatra. 

And Joe saying he was pro environment? His record of voting for pro environmental issues is 37%.   

• Love 6

Aaaand the live audience show following, as Steve Schmidt reminded, the election of 75 veterans of our Middle East wars ended with schlock. (I say that as someone who paid to see Carole King in concert with James Taylor). Hip, slick and cool Mika in belted hip-huggers stood for an extended time with her legs crossed. Aha, I thought, that explains the hair this morning. FFS when does an adult female stand with crossed legs? When she's posing on a red carpet or a runway, that"s when. LOL that she underestimated her ability to hold the pose and had to sling an arm across Joey's shoulders to balance herself. Such a fitting coda to her chirping "Kamala  Harris" earlier. The anemic audience sing-and-clap-along was painful.

Heilemann is so tall and CK so petite that he towered over her upraised arm as she ended the song. He is one long drink of water. (6'5")

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

One of the late night hosts called it"a blue trickle."  It's pretty underwhelming considering how awful the Republicans/Trump have been.

Taking to Small Talk.

Oh God when Michael Moore asked who can beat Trump is 2020 and Mika piped in, "Kamala Harris!!"  MM shut that down real quick.

Michael Moore annoys the crap out of me. It's too soon to listen to him blather about 2020 and our need for a "beloved national figure" to run.

Mika must be trying to grow out her hair. The wispy shit in the back isn't working for her. She should just bite the bullet and put in some extensions.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Taking to Small Talk.

Michael Moore annoys the crap out of me. It's too soon to listen to him blather about 2020 and our need for a "beloved national figure" to run.

Mika must be trying to grow out her hair. The wispy shit in the back isn't working for her. She should just bite the bullet and put in some extensions.

Michaels Moore bought me a beer at the Toronto International Film Festival. I liked his movies. He was right about Democrats needing to organize better and stop relying on Pelosi. I have to watch the Michael Moore clip later. 

I am am happy that Mika did not bring Her friends hHalperin ab

nd Harold Ford Jr back

• Love 3