Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

I did notice they're having another coffee jam in FL, apparently where they now live permanently. I'd say they're letting the contract expire w/o renewing, but the two of them love the adoration they've deluded themselves into believing they have because 20 retirees happen to be at a coffee shop where they're sitting on bar stools with Barnicle and Elise Jordan. 

"Shirley, why can't we sit at our regular table? What's with all these cameras? Goddammit all I wanted was to come in here and have breakfast, let's go to Denny's" . 

Ha. This sounds like Florida, all right.

I read the last part of the coffee jam paragraph as "they're sitting on bar stools with barnicles."  Must be close to the water. :)

BTW, where in FL are they having the coffee jam? I might have to leave.

• Love 2

Speaking of Florida, did they bother to discuss the gubernatorial debate?  At all?  I sure would be interested in knowing their observations.  Or, are they more obsessed with the two candidates' poll numbers as opposed to engaging in a substantive discussion about the debate and each candidate's platform and positions.

It would have been better than listening to Joe lecturing Drumpf's cult members for the 666th time about cheering for things that they "know are lies."  Does Joe actually think they listen to him and would be chastened or embarrassed?  Admittedly, I didn't spend a whole lot of time watching this morning, but it would have been nice if they took the time to discuss what was in the bipartisan opioid bill that passed 99 - 1 instead of having the "discussion" devolve into yet another bitch-fest about Drumpf's easily exposed lies.

• Love 2

I never watched MJ until about a year ago, so I never saw Joe and Mika all chummy with Trump.  I can see why those of you who did would be disgusted now.

Right now, it's just a really depressing show.  I have to say, though, that I agree with Joe about the Dems.  Today and last Friday he was railing.  WHY is the Dem Party not shouting to the rooftops that McConnell et al are coming after Social Security and Medicare?  I just don't get it!!

And talking today about Trump lying about the opiod bill, how there was "no Democratic support" when in truth the only no vote was from a Republican.  Please someone, anyone, SPEAK UP!

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Right now, it's just a really depressing show.  I have to say, though, that I agree with Joe about the Dems.  Today and last Friday he was railing.  WHY is the Dem Party not shouting to the rooftops that McConnell et al are coming after Social Security and Medicare?  I just don't get it!!

I thought Chuck Schumer brought it up last week. It's all over Twitter and cable news web sites. 

If you Google "McConnell will gut ACA social security medicare" there are dozens of entries, Newsweek Business Insider LA Times (just the three I noticed quickly when I did a search.) 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Ha. This sounds like Florida, all right.

I read the last part of the coffee jam paragraph as "they're sitting on bar stools with barnicles."  Must be close to the water. :)

BTW, where in FL are they having the coffee jam? I might have to leave.

It is in Boca Raton. I don't remember the name of the specific location.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I thought Chuck Schumer brought it up last week. It's all over Twitter and cable news web sites. 

If you Google "McConnell will gut ACA social security medicare" there are dozens of entries, Newsweek Business Insider LA Times (just the three I noticed quickly when I did a search.) 

What I wish is the Dem Party would buy some prime-time airtime on the major networks and spell this out NOW.  Every night until election day.  I say this because some people are not reading Newsweek or doing internet searches re this, but they ARE watching NCIS, Dancing With the Stars, etc., etc.  Believe me, I know Baby Boomers who are not paying attention and are going to be shocked when their Medicare/SS is cut.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

What I wish is the Dem Party would buy some prime-time airtime on the major networks and spell this out NOW.  Every night until election day.  I say this because some people are not reading Newsweek or doing internet searches re this, but they ARE watching NCIS, Dancing With the Stars, etc., etc.  Believe me, I know Baby Boomers who are not paying attention and are going to be shocked when their Medicare/SS is cut.

I know in my state the Dem challengers and incumbents have incorporated this into their ads that are running ceaselessly. Another reason not to listen to Joe’s rants - they are talking national politics, Dems are running local campaigns and have been talking healthcare for a year. That has been the Dem message since the Republican Party in the Rose Garden celebrating the ACA’s gutting. You just don’t hear it because the national news cycle is driven by Trump tweets.  As is MJ. 

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

This is from the Washington Post October 17, 2018: 

Van Hollen, who chairs the Senate Democratic campaign committee, held a conference with other party leaders to focus on McConnell’s comments. They sought to add urgency to arguments Democrats have been making in ads and campaign appearances all year, arguing that Republicans ballooned the deficit by passing a $1.5 trillion tax cut that mostly benefited corporations and the wealthy, and will now try to repair the damage by slashing entitlement programs.

“We need to make sure the public knows exactly what’s up,” Van Hollen said. “Mitch McConnell gave the game up in his comments, and now we just have to make sure the country knows.”

The DSCC is making ads and they run on network programming and cable news shows ALL THE TIME.    If they have on their local morning or evening news, they're seeing the ads. 

Joe is trying to make the election into a horse race, and trying to convince everyone that the Democrats really don't do anything for anyone. No matter what he says about leaving the GOP, he's a Republican. Period. 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

No matter what he says about leaving the GOP, he's a Republican. Period. 

? This.

I'd even go a step farther down that road -- he's still a certain wing of the Republican Party. He's trying to hide himself, but he was far right before the far right became embedded in the mainstream national political discourse. His voting record is there for everyone to see; it's not an attack on him, it's just what is/was. He's trying to moderate himself and aligning with the more moderate-presenting Jeb!-style Republicans now that he has money to make and his fiancée's Nantucket "friends" to impress, but he has never been a moderate Republican (and likely never will be, in my opinion). He's just put on this facade for rating$ and because the President attacked Mika. 

Mika, on the other hand, is showing herself as a moderate Republican three mornings a week on the show. 

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 12
45 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

The DSCC is making ads and they run on network programming and cable news shows ALL THE TIME.    If they have on their local morning or evening news, they're seeing the ads. 

As well as very good, prevalent social media campaigns -- and the people who will make the difference in this upcoming election voters aren't watching Dancing With The Stars or NCIS, they're on social media platforms. MJ is particularly blind to this.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I'm with debbie.  If the Democrats are out there making noise, I'm not hearing it.   Full disclosure: I'm not on social media (my eighty-year-old-Hillary-hating mother is, but I'm not).   But lots of Americans are not on social media.   We vote, but do we not count anymore?   Based on my own experience, I would have to agree with Scarborough's complaint that Democrats are not a strong presence in this election.   I rarely if ever see, hear or read a strong Democrat response to any of Trump's bullshit.  And they have no party leader, other than in name only.   Those clips of Andrew Gillum were heartening, because his words carry truth and strength, and we haven't seen much of either quality on the political landscape in so long.

I didn't watch the actual broadcast today, but I did watch somebody's recording of it on youtube because I was curious what these two would say about the Trump administration trying to define transgender people out of existence, as this affects me personally.    I was not surprised that they ignored the topic altogether, even though it dominated the news as late as yesterday.  At first I was pissed, then I realized they probably did Democrats a favor by not bringing it up.   This is another wedge-issue controversy being stoked by Trump to drive his minions to the polls.   It may be as mythical as the "big tax cut" he promised for the middle class.

Overall though I think Scarborough is actively trying to discourage Democrats and Independents from voting.  He laments the weakening of the blue wave even as he tries to do it further harm.   Kinda like "why bother?  you're going to lose anyway.  buckle up for another two or even six years."

• Love 6

Democrats are supposedly concentrating on health care.  So they've probably made commercials and air time buys for that.

What they should be doing is targeting McConnell the way the Republicans are targeting Pelosi.

Like say if this Republican candidate won the Senate seat, he'd be backing that McConnell guy who rammed Kavanaugh through and now wants to take away Medicare and Social Security.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, millennium said:

Overall though I think Scarborough is actively trying to discourage Democrats and Independents from voting.  He laments the weakening of the blue wave even as he tries to do it further harm.

It's actually the business model to his 15 hour a week business.  Out of power, knowledgeable, enraged progressives are what butters his bread.  When they're comfortable, they turn off his show and most of the rest of political media as soap opera.  Only Fox News can sustain ratings through right wing high periods and right wing low periods.  Stupid and/or old is always afraid.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

It's actually the business model to his 15 hour a week business.  Out of power, knowledgeable, enraged progressives are what butters his bread.  When they're comfortable, they turn off his show and most of the rest of political media as soap opera.  Only Fox News can sustain ratings through right wing high periods and right wing low periods.  Stupid and/or old is always afraid.

I'm weary of the liberal/progressive vs. conservative/evangelical dichotomy cranked up by Scarborough and his ilk.

There seems to be no middle of the road anymore, no place for people most interested in the common good.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scrb said:

Democrats are supposedly concentrating on health care.  So they've probably made commercials and air time buys for that.

What they should be doing is targeting McConnell the way the Republicans are targeting Pelosi.

Like say if this Republican candidate won the Senate seat, he'd be backing that McConnell guy who rammed Kavanaugh through and now wants to take away Medicare and Social Security.

Really hadn't thought about this.  They really should target ole Mitch.  What normal thinking person wouldn't be disgusted by him?  But the democrats suck at disparaging people.  And they don't have the will to stay with negativity long enough to matter.  Even the ministers of the right stick with their negative actions. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I never watched MJ until about a year ago, so I never saw Joe and Mika all chummy with Trump.  I can see why those of you who did would be disgusted now.

... Scarborough isn’t really saying that he was the first pundit to call Trump a serious contender. What he’s really bragging about is that he was the first media figure smart enough to strap on his kneepads in exchange for access once he saw that the Trump campaign was going places. He seems genuinely to think the rest of us are just jealous that we didn’t think to do that first.

... the worst exchange is about the questions in the [South Carolina town hall] segment. Brzezinski at one point tries to check with Scarborough if it’s OK to ask a tough question.

“Do you not want me to do, the um, the ones with, um, deportation?” she says.

Scarborough’s answer is hilarious. “We really do have to go to some questions,” he says. Though it’s audio only, you can almost hear his brow furrowing with concern.

Trump at this point interjects. “Nothing too hard, Mika,” he says.

“OK,” she replies.

It goes without saying that there were no questions about deportation or immigration at the town hall.

Nobody who’s covered the Trump run could fail to notice the increasingly hot-and-sweaty ménage a trois between the candidate and Mika and Joe. After hearing Trump give the duo chummy shout-outs at multiple campaign-trail events, I wrote about them in an upcoming piece for Rolling Stone. My idea is that they would be the royal media under the upcoming Trump monarchy/dictatorship. It’s easy to imagine Joe in an official state journalist uniform, with epaulettes and a flying Trump-mane insignia.

Even their on-air performance at the town hall last Wednesday was such a craven display of bumlicking and softballing that media critics all over the country denounced them for it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/morning-blow-how-joe-and-mika-became-trumps-lapdogs-90992/

• Love 1

I had to mute 99% of the first half hour of the show. Playing trump screaming lies in front of idiots is like crack to MJ.

I unmuted to hear Joe say that democrats only have to win the Congress by a one seat majority to make trump's life miserable. I felt better.

Mika did an ok enough job reading the editorial I presume Joe wrote for her.

• Love 2

I don't think she did the editorial very well considering that most of her career consists of reading in front of a camera. Her segue was awkward, and she started the script like she was tense or nervous and for most of it her voice was pitched too high. Toward the end she toned it down some but it still wasn't alto Mika, who would have sounded less like a scold. Joey came close to stepping on her last couple words in his haste to say Thank you, Mika, thank you everyone at the table. 

• Love 2

"We're going to be right back with a packed last hour" . . . they do realize the majority of the last hour is packed with reruns from the first hour right?  Now they're just jerking their audience around for fun.

• Love 3

It galls the hell out of me to hear Joe call those idiots cheering at his rally's poor and  unsuspecting. I guess they'll get a clue when the check from their new middle class tax cut doesn't come in the mail. And now joe grinning while they show a clip from trump blaming democrats for the Honduran/Guatemalan migration saying dems want them here to vote. I mean c'mon. You don't have to be a civics major to know undocumented people can't vote yet these people applaud and shake their signs. 

And then scaramucci with his bullshit. I don't like the lying but....

• Love 9

They just showed (again) a shot of trumps Nevada rally where Kevin Brady gave the thumbs up to that tax cut that can't happen.  Hopefully someone confronts him and makes him defend that. And that lady with the red sparkley cowboy hat. Gotta love it

• Love 3

7:16 AM:  Joe says that "Trump needs to stop lying!!"  Exactly why is that Joe?  Because his lying is unsuccessful?  Because it's wrong? Trump has been lying all his life, it's done him well and it's wildly succeeding now.  Thanks for the advice, Joe.

The Mooch usually sounds reasonable, which is krazee when you tear apart his 10 day stint as Communications Director.

8:40 AM:  Jacob Soboroff is in an inconcious Battle of the Hair Heights with Joe. He  looks like a 12 year old boy that put on Dad's smart glasses and is playing TV Reporter. 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 9

It's scary as hell to think that almost half of this county supports trump and his lies. No way will he stop; as whineandcheez said, it works for him. He's more emboldened than ever now that he's certain congress won't say a word. As your mom always told you; it's not how you play the game it's whether you win or lose. Oh wait...

Im sick of kornacki talking about polls while promoting his book. If the polls were right we'd have president Clinton right now

• Love 8

What's the point of not showing trump's rallies live when you show them, and that includes from days ago, over and over.

Joe question this morning, does trump really believe the Saudi's explanation of what happened to Jamal Kashogghi? I hope he meant that sarcastically.

• Love 1

Scaramucci is a loathsome human being, but he's right that the Trump voters simply don't care that he is lying. However, he misses the point on the whole "economic anxiety" argument. Yes, these voters are economically anxious. But to them it's all wrapped up in racial anxiety and societal anxiety. They can't separate those elements out, so they gravitate toward Trump's easy answers of "blame the immigrants," and "blame the Democrats."

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10

Joe knows how to sound like he supports moderates while actually playing to Trump supporters - Dems do nothing they have no message they're losers. 

They hope that under informed voters don't read reputable newspapers, educate themselves on the issues, and know the candidates.  Joe has played this game a long time, don't listen to people who know what they're talking about, I'm yelling louder so I MUST BE RIGHT.  And look at Mika - she's almost in tears she's so upset. Do you want that perfect contouring job to be ruined by her fake tears?  Well?  Do you!!?!? 

I really think this feud with Trump is just a big con.  Give his supporters a couple more people to hate. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, suziespend said:

It's scary as hell to think that almost half of this county supports trump and his lies. No way will he stop; as whineandcheez said, it works for him. He's more emboldened than ever now that he's certain congress won't say a word. As your mom always told you; it's not how you play the game it's whether you win or lose. Oh wait...

But, truly, it's not nearly half and I don't know why that is consistently overlooked on the shows I watch (and I watch a whole lotta shows). 56% of the eligible population voted in '16 and 44% did not vote. As percentages of all those eligible, 25.7% voted for Trump and 26.9% voted for Hillary. But I rarely hear this on MSNBC or CNN.

• Love 4

Let's give a polite golf clap to Joe because around 7:15 AM, he helpfully pointed out to us that the era of job and economy growth that Obama stated had started with him, not Trump, !!!ACTUALLY!!! started 70 years ago. Thank you, Joe the Newly Minted Democrat that you are...

And look at Mika - she's almost in tears she's so upset. Do you want that perfect contouring job to be ruined by her fake tears?  Well? 

HEE!! teddysmom.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, suomi said:

But, truly, it's not nearly half and I don't know why that is consistently overlooked on the shows I watch (and I watch a whole lotta shows). 56% of the eligible population voted in '16 and 44% did not vote. As percentages of all those eligible, 25.7% voted for Trump and 26.9% voted for Hillary. But I rarely hear this on MSNBC or CNN.

I get what you're saying about the percentage (which is pathetic) of people who voted and I totally agree with you but I was stating the percentage, 47%,  of Americans polled who support the job he's doing whether they vote or not. I absolutely can't get my head around anyone supporting a man who looks people in the eye and blatantly lies more than he's truthful and doesn't give a rats ass about this county and all that it stands for. 

I watch so many political shows as well and I wonder if all this media coverage is actually making things worse. Nothing a narcissist likes more than seeing/hearing himself and trump gets that 24 hours a day

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

ACTUALLY!!! started 70 years ago.

is he forgetting all the jobs and wealth that was lost during the recession?  It's not like we haven't gone thru severe recessions in the last 70 years, Joe. 

Yes the economy starting booming right after the war and ended during Nixon's Admin.  1973-75 Carter inherited that recession and fought tooth and nail with Congress/unions, auto industry and turmoil in the Middle East. Reagan pulled his trickle down economics bs, so it appeared the economy was doing better for certain segments of population, that blew up and we had another under Bush 41, Clinton got us out of it, Bush 43 had another one with Sept 11 attacks affecting stock market for a time, starting a war we couldn't afford and running it off the books, and the Wall Street banking debacle. Obama got us out of it, and Trump is riding his coat tails. 

• Love 3

The media has followed and propped up trump since he started the birther BS. The Republicans have fallen in line with him since then (except when John McCain didn't).

The media and that includes Joe, Mika and their panel of guests every day don't have any reason to give it up now.

• Love 2

And now joe grinning while they show a clip from trump blaming democrats for the Honduran/Guatemalan migration saying dems want them here to vote. I mean c'mon. You don't have to be a civics major to know undocumented people can't vote yet these people applaud and shake their signs. 

I didn't last very long this morning. I turned on CNN at one point and they had a great piece by Bill Weir on the so-called migrant caravan. He is traveling with them, so was able to give a fact-based perspective on who these people are and what was going on. It's too bad Morning Joe can't have more of this type of actual reporting instead of the same group of clueless, dilettantes bloviating every morning while replaying Trump's lies. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

That is the worst tie I have ever seen in my life on the Mooch right now although the diamond/ruby/sapphire flag pin is on point.

Also, Joe's hair color and suit matched, same shade of yucky-brown.  Not a good look, it was distracting for me.  He should only wear dark suits.  His hair doesn't even look REAL.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

Scaramucci is a loathsome human being, but he's right that the Trump voters simply don't care that he is lying. However, he misses the point on the whole "economic anxiety" argument. Yes, these voters are economically anxious. But to them it's all wrapped up in racial anxiety and societal anxiety. They can't separate those elements out, so they gravitate toward Trump's easy answers of "blame the immigrants," and "blame the Democrats."

In face three political scientists recently  released a study of Trump voters who had voted for OBama.

The main factor in whether they would vote for Trump is whether they had racial resentment or white grievance.

Class did not matter at all.  IOW, it wasn’t about economic anxiety but race.

But how could these voters be racist if they voted for Obama?  The scientists say 2008 was especially unique, in the wake of the financial crisis and the historic nature of Obama’s campaign.

They think many of these voters will always be driven bY racial resentment and probably would never vote again for a non white candidate again.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, stormy said:

What about the black voters that turned on Obama?  I never understood that.

That could have a lot to do with the  Crime bills and other legislation Clinton signed in the 90s, which the leaders of black communities wanted, due to the drug gang violence in their neighborhoods. 

Of course neither joe or Mika is on set again today and the show starts as usual with trumps lies but just two random thoughts. Jon Meachum was making some comparison to willie and he said they had kids the same age which surprised me which I know is silly. And also Joes lapel is so wide it looks like a tuxedo. Also joes hair is an even weirderr color today and if he doesn't fix it he's going to be a ginger by next week

Edited by suziespend
I just noticed now
  • Love 3

6:50 AM:  From the HOLY FRICKIN' COW File--- Joe said that during the 2016 Presidential campaign, he and Mika flew to Mar a lago with the EXPRESS PURPOSE of telling Trump that he has to stop lying about the Obama birtherism, Obama's Christianity, etc.  They flew down just for that!! They paid for it on their personal Capital One cards and didn't even receive miles!! (Ok, I added that part)  They weren't trying to ingratiate themselves--see, we silly negative people on this thread were all wrong!!

• Love 3

Oh dear God. Yet another “in-depth examination” of Trump voters from a self-professed “liberal bubble-dweller.” I’m so sick of these packages. We’ve all heard enough about the poor, misunderstood “real Americans” who support Trump. How about showing some Clinton supporters with pre-existing conditions who are going to be decimated by Trump’s policies? Where is the balance?

And it’s amazing that Alexandra Pelosi managed to condescend to her subjects while admonishing everyone else about condescending to them!

• Love 5

Joe and Mika are trying to rehabilitate themselves from the 2016 campaign.  That's what all this bullshit about "we went down there to yell at Trump" is. 

Saw the Pod Save America guys were on this morning. Did they actually talk to Joe & Mika? I can't imagine Lovett taking more than two seconds of Scarborough's bullshit. I think they're doing as much media as possible to get out the vote, they sure don't need to convince people to listen to the Pod or watch the HBO specials.  

That must stick in JoMika's craw, oh look three people who actually worked for an Adminstration, wrote policy, and know what the fuck they're talking about. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Saw the Pod Save America guys were on this morning.

I was just this morning listening to their podcast from last week.  Deeply depressing.  I have a very very bad, almost desperate feeling about these elections.  Lying about immigration is going to be successful.  Lying, period, is going to continue to be successful.   What did the Pod Save America guys say?

• Love 3

One of the Democratic PACS is launching commercials today re the lying about Medicare, SS ACA cuts. Huge national ad buy. 

MSNBC & CNN were calling out Trump on his lies yesterday like crazy. I was at the gym and saw it on CNN and then saw it again on MSNBC when I was in our break room. 

I didn't watch MJ this morning. I can't take them anymore at all.  Only reason I knew about Pod guys is I follow them on Twitter. Lovett said he dropped his AmEx card down a sidewalk grate on the way to MJ this morning.

People can't watch Morning Joe and believe "dems have no message" and then see commercial after commercial, social media, candidates on tv talking about their message, Healthcare, SS, Jobs, stopping voter suppression. and believe anything these two dickweeds say.  

Like I said, they're just stirring up shit to get people to watch. 

• Love 8

I tuned for the second half hour I barely remember what they were mumbling about.

But there was a tiny clip of Pence agreeing with boss man that middle easterners are in the caravan.

I hope Pence knows that whenever this gig is over,  that's the end of his political career.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, stormy said:

I tuned for the second half hour I barely remember what they were mumbling about.

But there was a tiny clip of Pence agreeing with boss man that middle easterners are in the caravan.

I hope Pence knows that whenever this gig is over,  that's the end of his political career.

He's so weaselly. He didn't even say "Middle Easterners." He said "people of Middle Eastern descent."

FFS, THAT COVERS AN UNTOLD NUMBER OF PEOPLE ACROSS THE GLOBE!!

• Love 4