Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Not having Mika and Barnicle on set and Joe floating around in some alternate reality, made for a very good show. It seemed to keep Joe less ranty.

Now the Republicans strategy for winning is that the rest of us are the mob. Of course the Tea Party was just a bunch of fun loving people looking for a good time.

I would like to see Michael Lewis on to discuss his new book The Fifth Risk. He was on LO's show earlier this week. Excellent insight into how badly our government has no leadership.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, stormy said:

I would like to see Michael Lewis on to discuss his new book The Fifth Risk. He was on LO's show earlier this week. Excellent insight into how badly our government has no leadership.

I thought he was on last week?? I could be wrong. Everything is blurring together.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, stormy said:

Check out the Fresh Air episode he was on, I think last week. Podcast is on iTunes. It's a much more complete discussion than they have time for on MJ.

Terri also talked to him last year I think when he started the series for Vanity Fair, which the book is based on. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:47 PM, WhineandCheez said:

Tune in tomorrow to have Joe explain that Nicki Haley is leaving her job because of the Clintons, (while Mika nods supportedly.)

Although not discussed, my guess....Trump/Haley 2020

• Love 2

I switched my schedule around and only caught the last hour of MJ today.  I enjoyed it, then followed up with Stephanie Ruhle.  It makes my morning run later than I like but it was a much better flow.  Steve Rattner was on with charts and good discussion.  Fred Guttenberg, the father of one of the Parkland victims talked about his daughter Jaime and advocating of more gun control.  Both were good interviews and not just 1 minute throw away segments.  I was discouraged last week about watching but have frequently noticed that the last hour / half hour of MJ is much better than the rest of the show.  Guess I'll keep watching, the last hour at least, but only if it continues to catch my interest.

So I've been tuning into MJ later in the morning then catching Stephanie Ruhl's show for a few minutes for updates on the stock market.  She is great, and I'm starting to leave her show on longer. Nan Hayworth, Republican, was on today. She talked over everyone else and I could not hear the other guests opinions. It was a horrible segment and long. Reminded me about what we often see on MJ with Joe. :-(.  

Edited by madfortv
Clarified watching MJ timeframe
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, roughing it said:
On 10/9/2018 at 2:47 PM, WhineandCheez said:

Tune in tomorrow to have Joe explain that Nicki Haley is leaving her job because of the Clintons, (while Mika nods supportedly.)

Although not discussed, my guess....Trump/Haley 2020

Answer in small talk. 

19 hours ago, cased said:

I think the separate backdrops are ridiculous. Obviously they are no longer hiding the fact that they are together, so I just don’t get why they want to make it look like they are doing the show from separate locations. 

As far as doing the show from Florida, my hunch is they are not renewing their contract, and MSNBC is letting them finish out the year from Florida. 

If they do renew, and this becomes the new normal, then the person ultimately to blame is the person at MSNBC who OKed the setup. 

Bingo.  And I hope you're right about them riding out their contract, the poof!

• Love 2

Good god Mika can not read the TelePrompTer at ALL today. Why does she never get any better at it?? I have to believe the production staff is doing something to make it difficult for her. No one can be that bad at something they do every day and are paid millions to do. She emphasizes the wrong words, pauses in the wrong places so much it’s difficult to even understand her. Terrible. 

• Love 8

Mika is just the worst.  She transitions from the guy who texted Jamal Khashoggi just before he entered the embassy (text was read), and just after (texts never have been read).  Khashoggi, a journo like Mika who moved in DC political/social/media circles, like Mika, was dismembered in the embassy for daring to speak out against an authoritarian political regime (hints of Trump).  Given her job, her dad's job, her boyfriend's job, her brother's job, in the time of Trump... the guy says those texts were never read, and she wraps it up with... "Mmmhm. Just radio silence, eh?"  And then stumbles over Khashoggi's name, praises him, and kicks it to Richard Stengel with this gem of a transition, "Richard?"  She has NOTHING to offer in the transition, despite her status and position that would give her insight, or anecdotes, or predictions, or just even energy.  She kicks it to Stengel who is a foreign policy expert (something you'd think Mika could be just by fucking osmosis at this point in her life), who chops it up with Willie, because Mika is an empty vessel.  And they complete their segment, and her addition to this shocking situation (hard to believe it's real - an American member of the press was DISMEMBERED by Saudi agents and President Trump is doing nothing), is "Thank you Richard.  Next..."
I realize thinking or editorializing isn't her job, but a teenager could read the teleprompter and transition between segments.  A computer could.  I could.  You could.  So I wrote all that to write this, what IS her value?  And why is she so comfortable doing the shittiest job in the political entertainment industry? 

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 11

That’s what I was trying to say! Well said. Why is she so comfortable doing a terrible job?  So proud of her value.  You know, we mock her, Saturday night live mocks her, various media sites mock her but she raises her head higher, nose in the air, does even shittier at her job and lectures women how to be better at life. 

We’ve probably all known this type of person in our workplaces. Not good at their job, convinced they are the very best because they are in favor with management  for some reason and get the promotion or raise. We sometimes refer to this as “ well she knows how to manage up”. Mika’s value is managing up. 

• Love 6

I saw just a few minutes this morning. Joe was saying that Trump is making fools of the people who come to his rallies. Mika agreed. I think they even said they felt sorry for those people.

Eh? 

No one is dragging them to the rallies. No one is telling them to laugh when Trump mocks sexual assault victims. No one is forcing them to chant "Lock her up!"

I switched off the TV, but now I'm wondering whether anyone pushed back on them.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

I switched off the TV, but now I'm wondering whether anyone pushed back on them.

They posted a Tweet from Hillary:  "Seriously, you asked Russia to hack me on national television," to refute Trump's gaslighting claims that the real villain is the boogeyman (Hillary).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, novhappy said:

ood god Mika can not read the TelePrompTer at ALL today. Why does she never get any better at it?? I

OMG I was thinking the same thing. It was about 6:05 am, I had been up since 5:20 am, was just sitting down to eat, and watching her stumble over reading off the WaPo front page, which I could see on my tv.  

So I did a little experiment, read the MSNBC headline off the tv re Khashoggi - interrogated, tortured, murdered and part of the story in the paper out loud, even put emphasis on certain words . I had had one sip of coffee and I could read it perfectly. I'm not saying I wouldn't get tongued with a long story, everyone does,  but I'm not a professional news reader, and isn't that what Mika has been doing for almost 20 years? 

I notice the anchors on First Look have no problem whatsoever doing their jobs, they cover a multitude of topics, throw to Bill for the weather, Louis, the London stock market report, chat, joke around.

Mika can't even read a 30 second story right in front of her without stumbling. 

I wonder if it's Botox around her mouth that makes it hard to form words. 

Just now, Landsnark said:

They posted a Tweet from Hillary:  "Seriously, you asked Russia to hack me on national television," to refute Trump's gaslighting claims that the real villain is the boogeyman (Hillary).

NBC tweeted that Trump claim yesterday and caught seven kinds of hell for not correcting it.  

• Love 8

Ok, I took the morning off to watch the royal wedding but I did catch a bit of the first hour rerun.  Meeks was her usual ball of anger self and all I could think of was she looks like one of those mean school headmistresses minus the ruler they were always slapping around (I guess she's saving that later for Executive Time with Joe).

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

k, I took the morning off to watch the royal wedding but I did catch a bit of the first hour rerun.  Meeks was her usual ball of anger self and all I could think of was she looks like one of those mean school headmistresses minus the ruler they were always slapping around (I guess she's saving that later for Executive Time with Joe).

I only watched a bit of first 1/2 hour. They were upset about Khashoggi, I don't know if they'd gotten to Kanye yet.  I turned it off when they announced Kornacki was back to talk about his book. 

They get off so much on the red/blue divide and yes it's real but there is a list of things they could discuss other than this, ad nauseum, because it's the only thing Joe cares about, telling Rs & Ds what to do, since he's been out of office for 18 years and would be such an expert. FFS All I do is watch West Wing and follow politics and I have a better idea of how DC operates. 

Topics to discuss

UN Climate report, War in Yemen, Georgia & Indiana purging voter rolls, Mika's fave - children still in cages,  Mika's other fave - salary disparity, and here's a thought - if you REALLY cared about this issue, you would talk to Lily Ledbetter, because 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-equal-pay-fight-isnt-over-so-lilly-ledbetter-returned-to-the-supreme-court-steps/2018/08/30/aca360e4-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.768f37cab336

it's not about making videos and getting $25,000 of Joe's money, it's about getting Supreme Court to overturn their ruling that there is a statute of limitations on suing for back pay, and overturning the Trump Admin ruling that employers don't have to break down gender and race when reporting wages to the gov't.

But since KYV is nothing but a vanity project for you to get attention, good luck conning hard working women to give up $570 to listen to your bullshit.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

But since KYV is nothing but a vanity project for you to get attention, good luck conning hard working women to give up $570 to listen to your bullshit.

I turned off the show this morning when she and Katy were patting each other on the back for being so popular with women in DC.  Not ONE mention of what was discussed.  No insights.  No narrative arcs.  No surprise topics and surprise viewpoints.  No trending attitudes. 
Literally just about Mika's ego and KYV as a product. 

There's a "KYV" and "jelly" joke somewhere to be made.  I'm not clever enough to get to it, though.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

There's a "KYV" and "jelly" joke somewhere to be made.  I'm not clever enough to get to it, though.

Thank you my friend, this will take me through the weekend nicely . . . thank goodness I was in a beverage free zone . . . !

• Love 1
6 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Topics to discuss

**snort** Teddysmom . . . like they're really going to discuss something substantial besides their pet/vanity projects.  Sad waste of three prime time AM hours and whatever guests they can corral isn't it?  It must be so tough on the teams that support them (in whatever location they decide to show up at).

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 8:15 AM, Landsnark said:

Do Joe and Mika live in the Destin or Pensacola panhandle area?  Have they mentioned Hurricane Michael?  140mph winds and it's strengthening. 

Oh, and you northerners who have moved to warmer climes... welcome to the south, y'all.  ;)

I plan to visit Sarasota in December to look for a place but I am scared of all these red tides in the water and hurricanes.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 4:37 PM, Ladyrain said:

Bingo.  And I hope you're right about them riding out their contract, the poof!

I think the show has run its course. I feel dumb at having spent countless hours recapping this show. It used to be fun, but I don't miss their analysis. Joe is a political hack. I saw a few minutes of the show a few days ago with Stacey Abrams , the Democrat running for Gov of Georgia. I liked her.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:24 AM, Landsnark said:

Heidi Przybyla has come a long way in the last year or so.  Success looks great on her, and she's loosening up so much so I think I saw her smirk this morning.  I don't think she's quite fully found her footing and shaped her on-air persona just yet, but she looks great (don't judge me, TV is a visual medium), and she's becoming warmer and engaging.  Her talking points have always been rock solid, she's focused and concise.  She's still a little stiff and probably nervous.
She's great when she gets animated like when she asked the candidate for governor in Georgia about voter suppression.

Heidi is stunning. I like her more than KCDC. Sorry KC:))

• Love 4

Oakville.  We here in Sanibel have beaches that are finally free of the red tide.  This part of FL had been hit pretty hard and it affected business very seriously.  The dems have labeled Rick Scott "Red Tide Rick" but he may get blown into office because of the recent hurricanes.  Of course the hurricanes are another story.

If you're planning on being a snowbird, these things (the hurricane season is June through November) probably won't ruin your plans.

However, we've been here full time since March and will most likely buy a condo in Minneapolis next summer because the thing worse thing, to me, about being here fulltime is that in the off season, Sanibel is basically dead.  We won't do the six months plus a day thing but we will probably leave for three or four months.

We're established as FL residents, we registered to vote and last week mailed in our ballots.  I hope there are no election shenanigans!  In MN we would never even think that there would be.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:44 AM, stormy said:

Oakville.  We here in Sanibel have beaches that are finally free of the red tide.  This part of FL had been hit pretty hard and it affected business very seriously.  The dems have labeled Rick Scott "Red Tide Rick" but he may get blown into office because of the recent hurricanes.  Of course the hurricanes are another story.

If you're planning on being a snowbird, these things (the hurricane season is June through November) probably won't ruin your plans.

However, we've been here full time since March and will most likely buy a condo in Minneapolis next summer because the thing worse thing, to me, about being here fulltime is that in the off season, Sanibel is basically dead.  We won't do the six months plus a day thing but we will probably leave for three or four months.

We're established as FL residents, we registered to vote and last week mailed in our ballots.  I hope there are no election shenanigans!  In MN we would never even think that there would be.

I am still planning to visit Florida this December but the hurricanes + red tide are making me question the idea of buying in Sarasota. Renting is less risky. Did Joe discuss any damage to the panhandle? Wasn't that his district in Congress. ?  I don't mind Florida being quiet . I commute almot 3 hours a day from Oakville to Downtown. I am fed up with the traffic etc. I can't work from a bunker like Mika & Joe. Do they say anything intelligenet anymore. ? Joe's hair looks ridiculous. Is he trying to compete with Trump?

Well it looks like they got the hell out of Pensacola and have decided to grace the anchor table today.  Meeks looks a tad tired and Podhoertz is wearing his Cookie Monster sweater (will be interesting to hear from him since he flounced off Twitter two weeks ago).  

Ok, Pods is Pods-splaining Trump's "logic" and the rest of the table looks like they want to rip that sweater off of him and shove it down his throat starting with Heilemann.

• Love 5

I’m surprised Podhertz is still at the table after Heilemann destroyed him on Trumps thinking on Saudi Arabia. Loved when the lady piled on!  “It’s about money! It’s always about money”

Frankly absurd that Podhertz would try to claim Trump has a long term vision for the Middle East. Thank you Heilemann for so articulately taking that down. 

• Love 6

Meachem has a new book?
Also, I love how Mika was paid to speak to mortgage bankers over the weekend.  One thing I know for sure, for an absolute certainty, if anything she said in 2014 and 2015 means anything, is that now Mika is not qualified to be President because being paid to speak to a financial group is an automatic disqualifier.  If you're a woman.  And Mika just did what she condemned Clinton for doing.  Mika made that point several thousand times so it still sticks with me.

• Love 10

Remember Freaky Friday?  I'd like to suggest Maniacal Monday--that Podhoretz has Anand's wild hair and Anand wears a Chaps blue cotton knit sweater.

That's all I have today folks. I couldn't get into the show today because there was not very much Trump bashing (even though they should have gone apeshit over 60 Minutes), it was a rather subdued reaction.  Could they be accepting that he is going to win reelection and you can't be pearl clutching 24 hours a day for the next 6 years?? 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

I couldn't get into the show today because there was not very much Trump bashing (even though they should have gone apeshit over 60 Minutes), it was a rather subdued reaction.  Could they be accepting that he is going to win reelection and you can't be pearl clutching 24 hours a day for the next 6 years?? 

I saw part of the segment on the 60 Minutes interview--the exchange between Leslie Stahl and Trump about his mocking of Dr. Ford. At first, Trump denied he was laughing at her, but then, when pressed, he said something like "We won. That's all that matters."  I am rarely surprised anymore with the things he says, but this one took my breath away. I had to stop listening after that.

What I'd like to know was whether Stuffy Podhoretz or anyone else attempted to defend what Trump said. 

• Love 5

NPR blasted Trump more than these morons. 

Why in God's name would Mika be asked to speak to mortgage bankers?  

And ladies the best advice I can give you is be pretty and hook up with your boss so he'll give you a big bonus. That's how I learned my value is based on putting out". 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, novhappy said:

I’m surprised Podhertz is still at the table after Heilemann destroyed him on Trumps thinking on Saudi Arabia. Loved when the lady piled on!  “It’s about money! It’s always about money”

Frankly absurd that Podhertz would try to claim Trump has a long term vision for the Middle East. Thank you Heilemann for so articulately taking that down. 

Hee, I knew it was going to be good when 30 seconds into his spiel Heileman was rocking back in his chair rubbing his face and Zainab Salbi is a treasure.  She really knows how to sink that verbal shiv into the moron du jour all the time with that beautiful smile on her face.   She doesn't suffer fools well.  I Know Her Value.

1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

Why in God's name would Mika be asked to speak to mortgage bankers?  

And I'm not quite sure what I saw as I was clicking in and out but it looked like she was also at a conference for African American women?  I looked on her Twitter and couldn't find anything, did anyone else catch what it was she was attending and for God's sake why?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

And I'm not quite sure what I saw as I was clicking in and out but it looked like she was also at a conference for African American women?  I looked on her Twitter and couldn't find anything, did anyone else catch what it was she was attending and for God's sake why?

She has posted a few things on Instagram about the African American women conference.

So, they were both in NY today. I noticed that they are on Colbert on Thursday, so they will have to be in NY on Thursday/Friday. Does this mean they will be in NY all week, or will be flying back and forth between Florida and NY?

Also, I predict that Mika will take at least 1 day off this week, as she was apparently "working" all weekend.

• Love 2

Wound up and ready to blow Kornacki drives me crazy. He's on automatic mute for me after today.

His musings on the congressional races in MN weren't totally accurate. The 8th and 1st are being vacated by the current Democratic congressman. Tim Walz is running for governor and Rick Nolan is retiring.

Edited by stormy
11 hours ago, stormy said:

Wound up and ready to blow Kornacki drives me crazy. He's on automatic mute for me after today.

Same for me.  Too much, just too much.  I appreciate him on election results evenings, other than that it's just too much.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, stormy said:

Someone asked on a Twitter thread yesterday “What gives you PTSD from election night 2016?” and people responded with the food they had been eating that they couldn’t eat again, the music they’d been listening to, etc.

For me, it’s Kornacki’s voice. My whole body tenses up when I hear him.

• Love 6

People act like Monica L. was a virgin/naive little girl when she stalked Clinton.  She knew to keep the dress wrapped up.  That's conniving.  Yes Clinton should've left her alone but Monica knew what she was doing.  So I don't believe it was sexual harassment.  People forget that women have always used what they have on men in higher positions to better themselves.

• Love 4

At 7:10 I turn it on.  I hear a man talking and he sounds really reasonable, so I assume he's a book author, not a politician.  He's talking about how cellphones are ruining society, etc.  He says something to the effect of, "Nobody looks each other in the eye, nobody talks to each other in person."  And I'm thinking, "Yes, all the contributors are in their own bunkers nodding in agreement!  All in their own bunkers!" That was true irony.  Anyway, it was Ben Sasse and why did he sound so normal when hes a Republican.  Don't mess with me, Sasse.

Anyway millenium, I think we will all get more interested the day before the midterms.  For now, I just can't listen to much news, too much is riding on this and I can't absorb it all.  I need out for awhile.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, cased said:

So, they were both in NY today. I noticed that they are on Colbert on Thursday, so they will have to be in NY on Thursday/Friday. Does this mean they will be in NY all week, or will be flying back and forth between Florida and NY?

I guess it was too much to ask for them to be in NY for more than 1 day. 

• Love 1

First off, I love Steve Kornacki.  Almost always.  But I cannot stand to listen to or see him right now.  He is too much and I am too stressed about the political climate to anticipate the election outcome.  Lately he seems to be popping up on almost every show.  

And I cannot stand Meeka...cannot stand her.  For me, even Joe is preferable.  Of course that is like comparing Hitler and Stalin.   I tuned to CNN...and they were interviewing the builders of an oceanfront house that survived intact (Mexico Beach) when the surrounding area was leveled.  It was so refreshing.  Yes, looking at a hurricane ravaged area is preferable to MJ.  It was a welcome relief from the increasingly hyped Blue Wave, chances of senate/house majorities, etc.  This show stresses me out and gets my day off to a bad start.

But.  I have kind of missed Mr. Kemper lately, what with banishing him to another room for his MJ fix.  It gets his energy flowing in the morning (he is 80)...and makes him feisty enough to play with his mostly-conservative golf group.  But it seems Show is getting worse in the host's entitlement and smugness.  Does anyone know when their contracts run out?

• Love 4