Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

Just saw this posted on Tumblr - they are writing a book about Henry & Violet's high school relationship! Between this and S7 centering around him, I'm starting to think they have grossly overestimated Henry's popularity!

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 12.18.18 PM.png

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 3
(edited)

LOL.  And I'm writing a companion novel about the love story between The Count of Monte Cristo and Charlotte.  Should I set up a bank account now in anticipation of the huge profits I'll rake in?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Kktjones said:

Just saw this posted on Tumblr - they are writing a book about Henry & Violet's high school relationship! Between this and S7 centering around him, I'm starting to think they have grossly overestimated Henry's popularity!

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 12.18.18 PM.png

LMAO

• Love 2

I was 100% sure it was a joke until I went out and looked at the writer's twitter feed! Do they honestly think there is a market for this?? My young nieces who watch the show can't stand Henry and it's not like he's exactly a heartthrob or anything. Not only that, on the show his character has been aged up and he's entering into an "epic" romance with someone who is NOT Violet, so what is the point? 

• Love 3
(edited)

Honestly, that one episode of Phineas and Ferb with Phineas/Isabella in high school was more compelling than Henry/Violet ever could be.

Who is going to care about a romance between Henry and Violet if we know they don't get together in the end?

Edited by KingOfHearts

They've already done a few novels based off the series. And Disney has been pretty successful with this Decendants franchise of theirs. I can see them trying to cash in on the pre-teen or teen market by doing this.

17 minutes ago, sharky said:

They've already done a few novels based off the series. And Disney has been pretty successful with this Decendants franchise of theirs. I can see them trying to cash in on the pre-teen or teen market by doing this.

Then do young Regina/Daniel. That would be more interesting. Snow/ Hercules. Young Lt Jones and a young lady of means. Young Captain Liam Jones and a young lady, anything else.

• Love 2

They're actually doing a Henry/Violet novel?! That is the funniest thing I've ever read! Why don't they tell things that haven't been on the show - like Emma's backstory or hell, tell the Maleficent/Lily story since people ask about it all the time.

But Henry/Violet? You'd think they were trying to promote the new season but...Henry is now in his thirties and will have a relationship and a child with a completely different woman so how would this book even promote that? Is there a lot of people clamouring to learn more about Henry's boring teenage romance with a girl we saw a handful of times before she disappeared off the face of the planet? Like someone said above - Jared is cute and everything but he's not a heartthrob and the one young girl I know watches this show is all about Hook and Charming as her crushes. I mean, like someone else said, I think they have severely overestimated Henry's popularity.

• Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I need to talk to my agent about a teen Brothers Jones book.

But then you would probably have to interact with and run your plot by A&E and listen to their ideas. Seems a steep price to pay!

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

I need to talk to my agent about a teen Brothers Jones book.

Nooo! I already have a few of your books on my Goodreads TBR list. Let me get through some of those first. 

If it does, we have the opportunity to tell multiple years with these new characters

If the show was structured more as an anthology and less of a serial, I could see this working. If every season had exclusive focus on a different story or batch of characters, you could stretch it out for as long as you can come up with the material. But, this is a show with strong character arcs and overall themes. It's not like Star Trek or a procedural where you can just reset it week-to-week. I think the show could have always functioned either way, but the writers opted for the Lost approach... without fully committing to it. At least the Lost writers knew when to quit.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

“They felt that with some of the principal characters, particularly with Snow and Charming, that we had taken those characters on an incredible journey over six seasons and that we had run out of runway a little bit with those stories,”

Yet Gold and Regina are still with us....

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

...and Henry.  And Hook has been around for so long that I doubt anyone remembers he wasn't introduced until several episodes into Season 2.

It's hard to remember we had an entire season without Hook. He feels like such an important fabric in the show's core DNA.

• Love 4

“A lot of it is going to depend on how these new characters and this new story line resonates,” she told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s press tour on Sunday. “If it does, we have the opportunity to tell multiple years with these new characters and if not, we’ll look at the series as we’re going into this year and talk about how we wind it down. What they’ve got planned is really spectacular.

Shonda's pitch for the final season of #Scandal is "Nothing short of spectacular," says Channing Dungey.

Apparently, everything is spectacular.

• Love 6

All the promotion this season has really rubbed me the wrong way. I understand they are trying REALLY hard to sell S7, but why do they feel like they have to ignore or put down everything that came before it? Eddy saying they ran out of runway with Snow & Charming? Colin saying these are the best scripts he's ever read? It just all feels so disrespectful to the actors/characters that got them to where they are. Why not celebrate the wonderful history of the show and talk about how it's allowing them to continue in a new way, but also talk about how the old characters will be missed and their absence will be felt on the show. Just because they ignore Emma, Snow, Charming, etc. doesn't mean the audience will forget them. 

• Love 10

Because saying that will just remind people that they left a bunch of characters behind. It's better to look forward and talk about the future since they're promoting the future season,  not the past season.

That being said, the secrecy is a bit ridiculous. We have new characters and new actors and one of them can't even confirm who she's playing. We have no idea what's going on with the most popular couple on the show. We don't know the cursed name of the Evil Queen -- at least not beyond spoilers. I know it's early, but they need to give fans something. 

Colin and the writers are doing their job which is to promote the show.

What do you expect Colin to say? "Don't watch season 7, is going to be crap, the scripts are awful and all the actors, myself included, are terrible and we would never be as good as the one that left".

Really, I'm the first one to think season 7 is going to be bad, but, between the "Colin should have quit his job when Jennifer left" and the "Colin shouldn't be excited about the new season", the negativity is getting ridiculous. 

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 5

I hope the chemistry of the new and old actors improves, because I just watched a Q&A video, and it just seemed awkward. Maybe it's because I miss the old cast so much, and seeing Colin and Lana with new actors seems strange. But also, I was actually annoyed by some of their personalities.  :/ Maybe they'll get better with the press stuff over time. 

There are ways of describing how they're excited about the new season which doesn't involve hyperbole like it's the best scripts they've ever read from any season.  Then again, maybe he really thinks this, so it's important to remember that Colin or any of the actors have the right to like this season more than previous seasons, or even be glad that their characters' circumstances have changed.  It's his job and at the end of the day, it's just a TV coupling.  The actors, unlike A&E, are not decision makers.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, RadioGirl27 said:

What do you expect Colin to say?

I'm really not trying to be negative about Colin per se. I think he and the other actors are in a very tough spot in terms of needing to promote this season. I think he also may be feeling a lot more pressure than he ever has before since he, Lana & Robert are probably expected to carry the show (at least for the first few episodes) and he seems to be out in front of the promo this year. That said, I personally feel like some of the things he and others have said are disrespectful to fans of the previous seasons and characters. Of course I wouldn't expect him to say critical things about the show, but I do think they could be more sensitive to how the audience is feeling (not to mention there are some cast members who were basically fired). To me their excitement comes across as very tone deaf as to how the "loyal fans" they love so much are feeling. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kktjones said:

I'm really not trying to be negative about Colin per se. I think he and the other actors are in a very tough spot in terms of needing to promote this season. I think he also may be feeling a lot more pressure than he ever has before since he, Lana & Robert are probably expected to carry the show (at least for the first few episodes) and he seems to be out in front of the promo this year. That said, I personally feel like some of the things he and others have said are disrespectful to fans of the previous seasons and characters. Of course I wouldn't expect him to say critical things about the show, but I do think they could be more sensitive to how the audience is feeling (not to mention there are some cast members who were basically fired). To me their excitement comes across as very tone deaf as to how the "loyal fans" they love so much are feeling. 

The departed actors were publicly praised and thanked for their contributions to the show at the time their departures were announced. That was the appropriate time to do that. Comic-Con and the TCAs are events to promote the coming season, not reminisce about the past. In that context there is no reason to include or talk about actors who are no longer part of the cast. Other shows don't do that.

The actors and producers are not responsible for the feelings of individual fans. Fans need to figure out on their own how to deal with whatever feelings they have. Cast departures and the new direction of the show were announced three months ago. That's more than enough time for fans to get used to the idea that this is a new show with a different cast. Lana, Colin and Robert all seem to be genuinely happy about the changes. There's nothing insensitive or disrespectful about them moving on and being excited about the future.

• Love 5

Plus, these guys are at least three episodes into the new season. They're shooting season 7, they're in a season 7 mindset so why should they be rehashing episodes they filmed six months ago?

And things happen when you're an actor. No one ever said we should be sensitive to Michael Raymond James's when the killed Neil. At the very least Jen, Ginny and Josh left voluntarily. Why does Colin have to rehash their departure every time he's in public when he and the rest of the creative team have moved on and have focused their efforts on season 7, which they've been filming for a month now?

• Love 3

I don't see how there's any disrespect to fans or the departing actors to say that the script for the first episode of the new season is the best. That doesn't mean that what the fans liked before wasn't good and has nothing to do with the departing cast. It just means Colin liked the writing in that script. And given that what we've seen up to this point probably wasn't successful because of the writing, that's not necessarily saying much. The writing had better get better, since they may or may not have the cast chemistry to coast on, like they've had before.

• Love 3

I do believe all the actors are in a hard position but there Robert Carlyle who show respect for his character own journey, story and co star and there colin!

And, one is more professional than the other for me!

I do believe all the actors are in a hard position but there Robert Carlyle who show respect for his character own journey, story and co star and there colin!

It just means Colin liked the writing in that script. 

It means what he said, which was "The episodes of this season that I've read are honestly the best that I've read in any season so far."

We'll be able to judge for ourselves in two months.  The actors have a right to their opinion, and I'm sure we will have fun discussing whether we agree when the time comes.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, maryle said:

I don't think that's a fair conparison. Robert notoriously gets out of media duties. He's the star, sure, but it also means he doesn't have to go on record with the media. So now that all falls in Colin and Lana to answer the questions addressed to the veteran cast. Frankly, I kind of see it as not professional on Robert's part for not selling this reboot in the media the way other members of the cast have to and he's leaving the heavy lifting to them to talk to the media about actors leaving and the future of the show. It's hard for Robert to comment on Emilie's departure and how it affects the series if he gets to skip media appearance after media appearance. But he's The Big Name and always has been so he can do that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, orza said:

The departed actors were publicly praised and thanked for their contributions to the show at the time their departures were announced. That was the appropriate time to do that. Comic-Con and the TCAs are events to promote the coming season, not reminisce about the past. In that context there is no reason to include or talk about actors who are no longer part of the cast. Other shows don't do that.

The actors and producers are not responsible for the feelings of individual fans. Fans need to figure out on their own how to deal with whatever feelings they have. Cast departures and the new direction of the show were announced three months ago. That's more than enough time for fans to get used to the idea that this is a new show with a different cast. Lana, Colin and Robert all seem to be genuinely happy about the changes. There's nothing insensitive or disrespectful about them moving on and being excited about the future.

I don't have any problem with them being excited about the future.  The show was stuck in a rut and if this shakes it loose and creates a couple watchable episodes, then great.

But the network and A&E are not focusing on the future and moving on from the past.  And its not even just that the critics and fans won't stop asking questions that require them to explain why they rebooted.  Almost all the promotional material so far has included cameos and callbacks to the past.  The Comic Con trailer was half Emma. 

Spoiler

The released scene had a young Jared cameo.  Most of the press releases talk about the Emma episode and the Belle episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

I don't see how there's any disrespect to fans or the departing actors to say that the script for the first episode of the new season is the best. That doesn't mean that what the fans liked before wasn't good and has nothing to do with the departing cast. It just means Colin liked the writing in that script. And given that what we've seen up to this point probably wasn't successful because of the writing, that's not necessarily saying much.

"Wow, there isn't a single grammatical error in here and I've only caught one plot hole so far. This is the best writing I've seen in years!"

• Love 9

Frankly, I kind of see it as not professional on Robert's part for not selling this reboot in the media the way other members of the cast have to and he's leaving the heavy lifting to them to talk to the media about actors leaving and the future of the show

I will not have responded if I would not have been quoting because I know it is a polarize matter !

I will just add that will have to agree to disagree completely cause Robert Carlyle has been a total gentleman and class act since last spring! I always love his acting but he definitely gain my respect and I loved how frank he was he protecting of his character storyline throughout the show! Now I know it is the right place to be critical of colin but he his not perfect and has flaws like any human being and no I simply don't think he has been very diplomatic! Now agree to disagree!

3 hours ago, sharky said:

So now that all falls in Colin and Lana to answer the questions addressed to the veteran cast. Frankly, I kind of see it as not professional on Robert's part for not selling this reboot in the media the way other members of the cast have to and he's leaving the heavy lifting to them to talk to the media about actors leaving and the future of the show.

Exactly! Colin's been everywhere, they've been sending him to every event I think. He's doing his best with what he has to tease which isn't much.  Assuring everyone that Captain Swan is happy and in a good place over and over, it must be tiring.

He was sidelined a lot last year, it's probably nice as an actor to get a larger role.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Curio said:

"Wow, there isn't a single grammatical error in here and I've only caught one plot hole so far. This is the best writing I've seen in years!"

Or "hey, I get to do something other than stand around looking guilty or kiss Emma. I may even get to wear something different!" I'm sure actors have different standards for what makes a script a good one than viewers do.

1 hour ago, daxx said:

Colin's been everywhere, they've been sending him to every event I think.

He's come so far since he first joined the show and he could barely speak in interviews and turned bright red when he had to talk, and he looked like a deer in the headlights on panels.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, maryle said:

I will just add that will have to agree to disagree completely cause Robert Carlyle has been a total gentleman and class act since last spring! I always love his acting but he definitely gain my respect and I loved how frank he was he protecting of his character storyline throughout the show! Now I know it is the right place to be critical of colin but he his not perfect and has flaws like any human being and no I simply don't think he has been very diplomatic! Now agree to disagree!

Robert Carlyle has dissed the writers in a recent times, and is clearly pissed off about Emilie's firing (it's not like he resigned in solidarity). That kind of behavior is not exactly professional. It's nice for fans to know what the actors really feel, but lbr, he's literally the only actor in the cast who can get away with it.

Colin is doing his job promoting the Show. Personally, I do think his comment about the script being the "best" he had seen went a little overboard, but I think it was a reaction to the dual pressure of having to promote the show. and face a fanbase suspicious of and disgruntled with the Show's new direction. He either had to stay because his original six-year contract wasn't up, or for personal reasons, or both. JMo chose to leave. At the end of the day, he was trying to do his best in a tricky situation.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 6

Maybe the guy actually thinks the scripts are the best he has ever seen, maybe they actually are..who knows, but he is actor paid to do a job and that includes promoting the show.  I don't know, I have''t been blown away by that many scripts since S1 so maybe he has a point.

I am cautiously hopefull that the reboot and change of scenery will bring a spark to the show that has been gone for a long time....but I was burned by the promise of S2 broken curse and magic coming back "really turning everything upside down." so... I do like that they have a setting with no magic..(at least for half an episode..) its urban and the fairy tale characters are mixed in with "regular" people...I never understood the concept of Storybrooke after they retro wrote it that it was cut off from the rest of the world. What was the point then,..Regina could have cast the curse and they all could have live in an un magical Forest with Regina in charge all in their old clothes..etc.  So maybe they have a fresh take on things.  And yes, I am thrilled we wont be bored to death with Snow and Charming anymore

Anyway, Parrilla and the Hook guy are just actors trying to have a career and doing what their bosses want and being team players.

• Love 2

Disney is going to pull their new movies from Netflix and start their own streaming service in 2019.  I wonder if TV shows like "Once" might be next.  I'm really afraid and worried for "Once Upon a Time"'s ninth and tenth seasons.  

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I'm really afraid and worried for "Once Upon a Time"'s ninth and tenth seasons.  

Frozen 2 will be a released a year or so prior to those seasons, so they can have them come back as a follow-up to their sequel.  Adult Henry will discover both he an Olaf had a similar childhood trauma.  There will be a flashback that Anna taught Regina/Roni on how to make the perfect martini in her new job as a bartender.

• Love 2