Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I found myself thinking of how some things might have gone if they'd just gone with the idea of fun fairytale show without all the darkness.

I remember watching the season 6 finale when David and Hook did their beanstalk adventure.  While it ended up being irrelevant to the plot - at the time I thought I could not remember the last time I had seen any characters just have a fun fairy tale adventure.   I had similar feelings when I did  the season 1 rewatch and David and Emma had their parallel dragon battles.  It was nice to see a little action adventure compared to later season finales where it would be two people in the dark street shooting magical smoke at each other while full of angst.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Camera One said:

The latest idiotic list from Screenrant... you'd think they can't get any dumber...

Once Upon A Time: The 5 Most (& 5 Least) Realistic Storylines.

I guess Belle and Rumple were realistic as a textbook example of an abusive relationship?

Of course, a tyrannical mass murdering dictator becoming a hero without as much as an apology is "gray" and "complex" and would totally happen.

I actually thought Camelot was one of the more grounded arcs in EF because characters like Arthur acted like you'd think they would. There were magical shenanigans going on but the character motivations (when characters weren't mind controlled) made sense. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

No, this is the most idiotic.

Example, they ranked Hook low because he didn’t have “book learning”, obviously they missed a few episodes. 😂 the amount of math one needs to navigate and the amount of schooling to learn Greek is more than most of the characters. This person saw pirate and assumed he was not educated.

I do agree with Rumple at #1, he was definitely most devious and played the long game. 

https://screenrant.com/once-upon-a-time-main-characters-ranked-intelligence-smartest/

• Love 1

The problem I have with that website's lists is they base them around a certain word, like "intelligence" or "realistic/unrealistic", but it's unclear how they define that word and the unstated criteria are applied inconsistently so the rankings often feel random and poorly supported.  

On 2/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, daxx said:

Example, they ranked Hook low because he didn’t have “book learning”, obviously they missed a few episodes. 😂 the amount of math one needs to navigate and the amount of schooling to learn Greek is more than most of the characters. This person saw pirate and assumed he was not educated.

Not to mention, he was the one most likely to help Belle with a research project, his cabin on the Jolly Roger was full of books, he used very formal speech with a lot of big words, and he was frequently shown holding a book.

• Love 2
On 2/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, daxx said:

Example, they ranked Hook low because he didn’t have “book learning”,

And they rated Belle high because she liked to read, but ignored the fact that she was not smart enough to realize there, in fact, was not really any good inside Rumple and spent her final days isolated with him in some strange rip-off of Up.

• Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 9:54 AM, Camera One said:

The problem I have with that website's lists is they base them around a certain word, like "intelligence" or "realistic/unrealistic", but it's unclear how they define that word and the unstated criteria are applied inconsistently so the rankings often feel random and poorly supported.  

They equated "realistic" with closeness to the source material. It would be "unrealistic" for Pan to be evil because he's not evil in the source material. But by that logic, Regina redeeming herself would've been unrealistic too since she's meant to be the Evil Queen. (Random side note: until Once Upon a Time, very rarely was the "Evil Queen" really named. The title was just a placeholder because she had no name. Now it's like, "Guys! It's the famous Evil Queen!™")

3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So I'm watching that 2014 Godzilla movie and I recognize some of the Vancouver actors (Belle's dad, "Kiss my boot" guy). Then I see the Storybrooke library and main street doubling as a town in California. Nice.

This was probably Wish Storybrooke (created when someone said "I wish Storybrooke was in California") invaded by Wish Godzilla on a day when all the "heroes" were away fighting the Loch Ness Monster in Fictional Scotland.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 1

There was a GalaxyCon OUaT panel (with Jennifer Morrison and Jared Gilmore) on April 11 - here are two clips...

Once Upon A Time "Annoying Wardrobe" Clip from Q&A
GalaxyCon   Apr 15, 2021

Jennifer Morrison and Jared Gilmore LIVE Q&A at Galaxyconlive
MONIS WORLD    Apr 11, 2021

Two more GalaxyCon cons with OUaT cast members, coming up on April 25 and May 22:

Edited by tv echo

That seems really inexpensive for buying a diner, let alone one that comes with a degree of fame. I wonder if that's just the cost of the business and you still also have to pay rent to the property owner. Because if that's the whole cost of the building and the business, it's worth less than my house. A group of fans could pool their resources and get that easily.

Like Once Upon a Time, the high-concept Epic was a big swing and an admirable effort; I hear it just did not quite come together.

Epic was executive produced by Hales, Horowitz, Kitsis and Griffiths.

Darn, I guess they couldn't make lightning strike twice.  Though I am forever amazed at how the pilot for "Once" was so perfectly executed by the likes of A&E.  Or maybe networks are still wary of "high concepts" like this one and want to play it safe with the same old, same old.  Anyway, whether this show would have been good, or laughably bad, I was really hoping ABC would pick it up, so we could all watch it together.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Camera One said:

Though I am forever amazed at how the pilot for "Once" was so perfectly executed by the likes of A&E. 

I give credit to Lindelhof for the success of the pilot. 

from his wiki; In 2011, Lindelof aided in development of the fantasy series Once Upon a Time, which was created by former Lost writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. He was not officially credited in the pilot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_Lindelof

• Love 3
16 hours ago, daxx said:

I give credit to Lindelhof for the success of the pilot.

It's clear that A&E do better when they have some sort of structure imposed on them. Left to their own creative devices, the wheels come off very quickly.

• Love 3

12 'Once Upon A Time' Villains Ranked From Bad to Pure Evil

I expected to be way more offended by this list than I was, lol. If it was a ranking by the severity of crimes committed, the only part of the list I might contest is Cora, Zelena, and Pan. Cora seemed more evil than Zelena to me. 

Always nice to see Regina and Rumple at the top of this list, as they should be. It's rare to see an article describe Regina as "a murderous, merciless, and evil sociopath."

Edited by KingOfHearts
2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I expected to be way more offended by this list than I was, lol.

LOL.  This list isn't as bad as the ones from that other website where the title is a variation of "12 Villains That Were Very Evil (and 12 Villains That Weren't That Evil)".  Still, the writer was more listing their crimes instead of explaining the ranking of one over another.  I agree Cora was more evil than Zelena and Peter Pan.

• Love 1