Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, OnceUponAJen said:

I feel bad too, but I don't know if I will be watching anymore shows run by this pair. Too little character moments v plot and too little payoff.

I agree and I wonder if perhaps someone else was involved in the first (or first handful) of seasons that kept the show more grounded and had more real emotional moments (that lasted more than a hug).   The later seasons had more of a ADD feel to them.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Souris said:

Wow, check out the unrounded half-hour breakdown! Second half into the 4s: 0.532 (0.576/0.488)

That's brutal. 

And it's been dropping each episode, people are not sticking around at all.

The reboot really doesn't have anything going for it.

• Love 1

This comment was interesting.  She wrote this in reply to a tweet Adam wrote which has since been deleted.

----------

Brigitte Hales‏ @InkTankGirl  Oct 20

Writing this afternoon so I'm missing the Friday at 5pm nervous Twitter watching we all do in the Writers' Room.

Edited by Camera One
32 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Writing this afternoon so I'm missing the Friday at 5pm nervous Twitter watching we all do in the Writers' Room.

That's really pathetic. No wonder the writing went to the toilet. I mean, most of us have suspected that Adam and co. were taking their twitter feedback too seriously, but here is actual proof. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 8

Anyone watch the captainswan q&a from the Nj convention?  I thought it was totally awkward.  Jen seemed to not know when the show airs (which I kinda understand) but she seemed to not know her episode had aired and what was included in it.  I'm sure fans were just happy to be in the same room with them but it was clear than Jen is over the show and Colin has to continue the party line for the show.  I would guess they won't pair them up if she continues to do conventions especially if "wish" Hook gets paired with someone currently on the show.

6 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Jen seemed to not know when the show airs (which I kinda understand) but she seemed to not know her episode had aired and what was included in it.  

That's weird since she posted those "favorite memories of Once" on Instagram in the days leading to her final episode, and they even stated "Tune in Friday on @abcnetwork for @onceabcofficial".

I suppose she could have forgotten (but that was only a week ago), or she received that from ABC and pasted it without thinking about it?

I'm not surprised that she wouldn't know what was in the actual episode, since I doubt she would have actually watched it.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

What's with the strange EW teaser/debrief interviews?  The Thursday one interviewed the Tiana actress talking about something that didn't happen in Episode 3, and the Saturday interview had an interview with the Drizella actress even though she's not even in Episode 3.  

40 minutes ago, Camera One said:

What's with the strange EW teaser/debrief interviews?  The Thursday one interviewed the Tiana actress talking about something that didn't happen in Episode 3, and the Saturday interview had an interview with the Drizella actress even though she's not even in Episode 3.  

A lot of things were cut from the episode. A LOT, they probably cut it due to the overwhelming negative reaction to many things. I know the Rogers/Tiana bench scene got so much negativity so they probably cut that because of the massive backlash they faced. 

I imagine a lot of things will be getting cut or editted especially if the episode order gets cut down.

Edited by cappoe

I watched the jen and colin panel didnt see anything akward the only time I saw some akwardness was at the vancouver convention and its obvious now why they were both nervous! As cs will always be both their most popular once fans base I am sure they will keep pairing them up every chance they got! Cs is good for Business, and jen and colin still friens so!

I think the most likely is s7 as final season and dont believe they will in canon put whook with anybody else its just too soon even for the g. a do they want risk to loss  they are already in .4 range (half).

Jen was very enthousiam for anything cs and emma she just not watch the show always said so! So, nothing change there! Cause she had trouble with distancing herself to Emma.

I think they choose to cut the tiana hook scene cause it was controversial and not that significant to rodger storyline but why cut Emma scene in her last episode!

That I am angry about!

Adams said they  have cut one emma/hook scene and one henry/emma scene and that really hard to understand to cutting any emma scene with 2 of the most significant relationship of the in her last appereance!  

Edited by maryle
Spelling
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Anyone watch the captainswan q&a from the Nj convention?  I thought it was totally awkward.  Jen seemed to not know when the show airs (which I kinda understand) but she seemed to not know her episode had aired and what was included in it.  I'm sure fans were just happy to be in the same room with them but it was clear than Jen is over the show and Colin has to continue the party line for the show.  I would guess they won't pair them up if she continues to do conventions especially if "wish" Hook gets paired with someone currently on the show.

Oh they will definitely pair them up. Because soon enough S7 will completely be disregarded and fans will not even discuss it. CS is their main couple of 5 yrs, they're not gonna just ignore it if Colin is at a convention. They will likely leave Colin alone in conventions without JMO because of the massive CS fanbase.

They won't give two craps about W/Hook past this season, which will be the final one.  I also imagine that if they pair him up with a previos LI or W/Hook LI the LI will be completely ignored just like the actress playing Milah was ignored at UK convention. Audience even booed questions about Milah and Hook. The same will be for W/Hook or a new LI which I do not think is happening.  They will just be met with boos and audiences want to talk about the real Killian not fake Hook who shouldn't even exist.

That's from the writers to, nothing in that realm exists. So why should we care? Simple fact is we don't, the audience does not care and those ratings showed that completely. 

This weeks ratings are gonna be hilarious, cause it's going up against ST S2, the same day it comes out. Then episode 5 ratings which is the Tiana centric will just be hysterical. 0.4/0.3 is not out of the realm anymore.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, CCTC said:

I agree and I wonder if perhaps someone else was involved in the first (or first handful) of seasons that kept the show more grounded and had more real emotional moments (that lasted more than a hug).   The later seasons had more of a ADD feel to them.

There's been speculation that Damon Lindelof helped out his former Lost writers with advice and guidance in the first season on the show. It would make sense considering what happened after that.

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Just curious, but how do this season's ratings compare to Once Upon A Time In Wonderland's first few?

Wonderland seemed to have averaged a 0.9 and only got 13 episodes. The problem is that it's not a good comparison. In the past five years since Wonderland aired, the ratings landscape has changed dramatically. More than half of the ratings for shows come from digital and streaming, which was not the case then. Shows with 1.0s get renewed regularly.

That's also why I think this show will get its entire season order made. Netflix has some money invested in this season and will want to get all the episodes in. It may not be getting the TV ratings but Netflix saw something in the ratings that made them want to help fund another season. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, maryle said:

Adams said they  have cut one emma/hook scene and one henry/emma scene and that really hard to understand to cutting any emma scene with 2 of the most significant relationship of the in her last appereance!  

I missed this! Did Adam share this on Twitter? Given how little she filmed, I can't imagine they cut much, but that's pretty upsetting to think they cut 2 scenes when she was only in 4!

As far as the cons go, JMo is only committed to one more (in two weeks), and she is already paired up with Colin. Colin and Lana are contracted for at least three cons in 2018, but I doubt JMo will attend (unless she needs to fund one of her pet projects). I watched most of the footage from yesterday and I find JMo to be very genuine and eloquent, and I love her real-life friendship with Colin. However, I do think it's telling that she doesn't appear to be watching or following the new season (she admitted she hasn't watched her episode yet). I think she has completely moved on from Once...

• Love 6

I didn't find JMo awkward in any of the con videos. She was her usual eloquent self. As for not watching the episode--I think it's natural. 

I don't know if she will return to the con circuit next year--it will totally depend on how much she needs the extra cash. Apparently, some actors do the con thing quite religiously, as it's a good source of income. Especially for side-actors who don't get big roles. The Grumpy actor seems to have established himself as a panel moderator in recent cons. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

missed this! Did Adam share this on Twitter? Given how little she filmed, I can't imagine they cut much, but that's pretty upsetting to think they cut 2 scenes when she was only in 4!

Yes, he did but I cannot paste the tweet that he deleted since there some cs fans who did save it so maybe you can find it too!

here the citation

"There were a few lines in scene with emma and hook and emma and henry that were cut  but nothing with regina in it."

For jen, I think she could still going to some con when her shedule allow it but she never and never will be someone like lana! That will be doing con for a while even if like I said the show will probably ending this year. Even Colin sound more interesting in the conv circuit than her but that make it more likely than if jen attend another they will be paire up again than separated cause it will be rare! But, honesty its snowing I will like to see at one conv cause they are the one that never go! Like I said rarety make it precious!

Concerning once I think there were some bts issue that factor with jen desicion adding to her wish to find smt more creative. I just cant believe any actress would love the reduction of her character importance. So, yeah she move on but the fact that she didnt watch once is not significative cause she never did it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kktjones said:

I missed this! Did Adam share this on Twitter? Given how little she filmed, I can't imagine they cut much, but that's pretty upsetting to think they cut 2 scenes when she was only in 4!

Jen said they cut stuff from the episode at the convention since she was saying some things to the audience and asked if it was in it or not since she hadn't seen it. This led people to ask Adam if he'd cut out scenes and he said they did cut them and Jane Espenson, who was arguing that they used every bit of footage of Emma they could get, then admitted they did cut scenes with Emma in them 'for time' and I don't think her tweets have been deleted.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, superloislane said:

Jen said they cut stuff from the episode at the convention since she was saying some things to the audience and asked if it was in it or not since she hadn't seen it. This led people to ask Adam if he'd cut out scenes and he said they did cut them and Jane Espenson, who was arguing that they used every bit of footage of Emma they could get, then admitted they did cut scenes with Emma in them 'for time' and I don't think her tweets have been deleted.

This is egregious. They should have made room for every scene JMo filmed for that episode.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, superloislane said:

These writers are so disconnected from their audience. They probably don't even understand themselves why they're ratings tanked 3 episodes in. It couldn't possibly be because the audience watched this show for the characters and relationships of the past 6 seasons and once they realized that S7 held absolutely nothing for them like Emma or the real Killian they stopped watching when the main character left.

Cause the newbies suck and the plot lines are so convoluted now and a rip off of S1. A blatant one at that.

• Love 7

This was posted yesterday regarding Episode 4 next week:

Jane Espenson‏  @JaneEspenson  Oct 21

Once of my fave #OUAT scripts ever! You're gonna want to be there next week!

People associated with this show should stop with the "Best... ever!" comments.  Marketing 101.  Don't over-exaggerate.

• Love 5

Jane is the biggest Rumple cheerleader. She wrote, "Skin Deep", "The Return", "The Miller's Daughter", and "Devil's Due". By the looks of the promo, it's going to be the culmination of Rumpbelle's arc beginning from their first episode together.

Edited by KingOfHearts

I agree about the hyperbole so much of the cast and writing team has been using this year. Personally it's a turn-off to hear how these episodes are so much better than the past ones. Like someone mentioned, it puts people on the defensive to begin with. Then when it turns out to not be true, people start to believe it's just PR.

Going back to the JMo discussion for a moment, it sounds like they cut some lines of dialogue, not whole scenes, which makes much more sense. Also putting my tin hat on for a moment, JMo shared the line that was cut between her and Henry which was Henry telling her Regina "is bad at goodbyes." What this tells me is that the scene was written in such a way that Emma & Regina did not exchange words so it seems they knew ahead of time they wouldn't be filming together. You would think Emma would say something like "take care of Henry for me" or some such. Anyway, just interesting.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

Also putting my tin hat on for a moment, JMo shared the line that was cut between her and Henry which was Henry telling her Regina "is bad at goodbyes." What this tells me is that the scene was written in such a way that Emma & Regina did not exchange words so it seems they knew ahead of time they wouldn't be filming together. You would think Emma would say something like "take care of Henry for me" or some such. Anyway, just interesting.

That is interesting.  A lot of the angry comments on Twitter is regarding the lack of a Regina/Emma goodbye scene.  So that line would have provided an in-show reason for why that did not occur.  Though Jared Henry and Regina did have a proper goodbye in the premiere that Emma, Hook and Snowing were absent for, so she isn't always that bad with goodbyes.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Jennifer has truly moved on. Colin is bravely toeing the “I’m Under contract” line.  It’s a working gig and he has family to help support.

While CS will live forever in fanfic and ship lore, it’s done.  Their closure was somewhat believable, thankfully.  There was no where to go or grow with the shallow writing pool at their characters’ disposal and the need to address a dozen other characters’ storylines.

Can’t fault either of the actors.  They have jobs and livelihoods to protect/promote.

The blame for the boring mess this season has been so far (with very few little hopeful moments) rests on A&E.

They screwed up a lot and don’t have the intestinal fortitude or talent to fix it. Sad all around.

• Love 3

I just love that multiple people on the show have said incredibly similar things 'This is the best season!', 'These are the best scripts I've ever read!', 'This is my fave script ever!', 'The show is better than it's ever been!' and even the Twitter account is saying that. I mean sure maybe they all believe that (ha!) but when it all sounds the same, it's obvious that it's a company PR line to sell the show and therefore it can actually have a negative effect rather than a positive. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Like Buffy Season Sux and Season Sux More; or Serenity.

More like Scrubs S9.

2 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Jane is the biggest Rumple cheerleader. She wrote, "Skin Deep", "The Return", "The Miller's Daughter", and "Devil's Due". By the looks of the promo, it's going to be the culmination of Rumpbelle's arc beginning from their first episode together.

Yeah all the way to Belle's death. I just get that feeling she's gonna die.

2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I noticed they have a new production designer and didn't they get a new costume designer? 

No wonder the costumes look like community theatre production of OUAT.

2 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

You're right. When you do marketing or public relations, it's best not to speak in absolutes. Human nature is to argue with an absolute. "This is the best." I will think of reasons why it isn't. "This is the only" I'm going to prove you wrong.

It's typically better to say, "I am proud of this episode and worked hard to recognize the wants of the audience, the history of the show, and the direction we are going in now. I can't wait to hear what people have to day about it."

It's probably cause they saw those ratings and are rightfully panicking because audience members don't give two craps about S7 and they're probably getting an episode order cut.'

They need all the luck in the world cause they're going up against Stranger Things S2.

28 minutes ago, BoPeeps said:

Jennifer has truly moved on. Colin is bravely toeing the “I’m Under contract” line.  It’s a working gig and he has family to help support.

While CS will live forever in fanfic and ship lore, it’s done.  Their closure was somewhat believable, thankfully.  There was no where to go or grow with the shallow writing pool at their characters’ disposal and the need to address a dozen other characters’ storylines.

Can’t fault either of the actors.  They have jobs and livelihoods to protect/promote.

The blame for the boring mess this season has been so far (with very few little hopeful moments) rests on A&E.

They screwed up a lot and don’t have the intestinal fortitude or talent to fix it. Sad all around.

Colin is done this season. He made that crystal clear. He had no choice but to do this season but if this isn't the shows last, it's his last. He's leaving w/ Bobby.

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, superloislane said:

I just love that multiple people on the show have said incredibly similar things 'This is the best season!', 'These are the best scripts I've ever read!', 'This is my fave script ever!', 'The show is better than it's ever been!' and even the Twitter account is saying that. I mean sure maybe they all believe that (ha!) but when it all sounds the same, it's obvious that it's a company PR line to sell the show and therefore it can actually have a negative effect rather than a positive. 

And clearly the audience disagrees hence the massive ratings decline 3 episodes in.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Camera One said:

This was posted yesterday regarding Episode 4 next week:

People associated with this show should stop with the "Best... ever!" comments.  Marketing 101.  Don't over-exaggerate.

Exactly, don't oversell it, people can tell it's too fake.

• Love 3

Sleeping Curse, Trapped In A Box, Frozen, Almost Dead But Saved Her Last Breath, etc.  There are 101 and one ways to put her out of commission.

Belle has been roleplaying as Sleeping Beauty since 4A. She's no stranger to being killed without dying.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

ABC has essentially cancelled 10 Days by moving it to Saturdays to burn off the rest of the season. The delicious part of this is that this now makes OUAT the lowest 18-49 rated show on the network and we all know how important the 18-49 demo is.

R.I.P season that must not be named. You ended last year, with the characters we do care about.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Matt Mitovich‏ @MattMitovich

This episode is fantastic, so emotional. And. A. LOT. Happens. #OUAT

------------

So now they have entertainment reporters advertising for them?

Matt Mitovich is probably just relieved that he won't ever have to ask about Rumbelle and get the same exact answer from A&E ever again! 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Matt Mitovich is probably just relieved that he won't ever have to ask about Rumbelle and get the same exact answer from A&E ever again! 

Let's just say someone probably gave him a huuuuuuuuge envelope of money at the street corner.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Camera One said:

Matt Mitovich‏ @MattMitovich

This episode is fantastic, so emotional. And. A. LOT. Happens. #OUAT

------------

So now they have entertainment reporters advertising for them?

For what it's worth, this episode has been hyped as a (supposedly) good one by multiple sources for quite some time now. I guess much depends on how invested one still is in the Rumple/Belle relationship and since I personally stopped caring about that dynamic years ago I have a hard time caring all that much, but maybe Robert Carlyle managed to doing something fun with the present day Rumple/Gold/Weaver stuff, who knows. And a number of entertainment reps seem to like the new Alice so that probably helps too since her main story connection so far seems to be Rum.

• Love 1

In case you are not hyped up for tonight's episode yet...

Brigitte Hales‏ @InkTankGirl  5h5 hours ago

Room favorite episode tonight, OUAT fans! Written by the supremely talented @horgandee and @leahfong. Had serious story envy w/ this one.

Natalie Abrams‏ @NatalieAbrams  8h8 hours ago

Tonight's Once Upon a Time is not to be missed. Great hour featuring return of @emiliederavin. Also a big one for @RoseAReynolds. #OUAT

Robert Carlyle‏ @robertcarlyle_  7h7 hours ago

#OUAT Tonight on @ABCNetwork #Beauty @emiliederavin #Rumbelle #Getaboxoftissuesready

On 23/10/2017 at 1:30 AM, KingOfHearts said:

I don't think she will, if only for the "Disney Princesses can't die" rule.

Eh, I don't know. They already have killed her once before in the Wish World.

33 minutes ago, Colette said:

Eh, I don't know. They already have killed her once before in the Wish World.

Well I guess that settles that. All bets are off. Who's next? I hope it's Murderella.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2

Be curious to see if viewers dropped off.  I thought it was a decent ending to Belle and Rumple (although her divorcing him would have been better..) and in some ways the best of the season.   However, if you were one of the new viewers they have been trying to get you might have been wondering why is so much time being spent on this sappy couple talking as if they were a Hallmark card in a land that looks like it is what a twelve year old girl would find romantic.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CCTC said:

Be curious to see if viewers dropped off.  I thought it was a decent ending to Belle and Rumple (although her divorcing him would have been better..) and in some ways the best of the season.   However, if you were one of the new viewers they have been trying to get you might have been wondering why is so much time being spent on this sappy couple talking as if they were a Hallmark card in a land that looks like it is what a twelve year old girl would find romantic.

I suppose a new viewer might think it is an interesting reveal that Weaver is actually The Beast from "Beauty and the Beast" and really connect to the "Up" visuals?

I can't believe people turned away halfway through.  You'd think they would want to find out what happens.

Last week probably screwed this week, since people might have decided to quit already.

3 hours ago, maryle said:

Not sure if rating still go here, but 2,47 viewers and stay at .5 for a very hype episode! I really dont see how that can be a good news! 

Wow, the numbers are dropping even faster than I thought they would. There is no way to salvage this failure of a season.

• Love 1