Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, VoicePlaya said:

Besides, she posits, "Who is the Evil Queen without Snow White? This is really an ensemble show. You need all these characters to tell these stories. I feel very lucky that Regina is one of the most beloved characters on this show, but it does take a village."

Again I say wow. This comment just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. 

Maybe it's because in the Show, Regina slaughtered said villages to make it all about herself, while in Real Life, said characters have been either written off or the actors have driven off the Show because the writers (apparently in collaboration with Lana) made it all about Regina? 

Lana should be really thinking twice before claiming credit for the reboot. For one thing, it stinks. For another, I doubt Eddy's ego is going to be okay dealing with her claims. I wouldn't be surprised if the promised romance is never delivered. 

6 hours ago, Camera One said:

I wonder if they're even watching the show anymore.  One would think that fanbase would keep the numbers at a stable level at least.

The thing is they aren't that many of them who watch it live legally. From my understanding, many of the SQers and ERs are from South America and Europe. They may be some of the most vocal part of the social media for the Show, but in practical numbers, I doubt they make a difference to the ratings.

At the end of the day, IMO, it's still the non-rabid General Audience that contributes to the majority of ratings.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 5

I never thought any of the rabid fandom on sm make a real difference in the rating except maybe cs cause I do think they were more in the demo they care about. The real fall between ep 2 and now same to colloborate that but its not cause of the cs fandom itself just this fandom represent better this fragment og the general audience for me.

I always thought that regina popularity was overated and emma/charming not enough condiderate for the succes of the show and everything since season 6 make same that it is the case.

Last year the regina heavy or centric didnt get higher rating so I am surprise that people really thing that an average regina centric will cause some higher rating than by example the very anticipited rumbelle episode didnt got. The best people can hope is still .5 and slowly fall in the viewers ships but nothing that can change the trajectory that this show always got every year. But, frankly, after reading bit of this selfserving article I hope that they do get their first 0.4 tonight cause, yeah it is a ensemble show and too much regina for me been to the detriment of the quality show and of its longitivity.

• Love 5

I enjoyed the irony of the writers talking about how Lana pushes and challenges herself in an interview in which she talks about pushing the writers to make her character more like herself -- the maternal instinct, and then Roni basically being the way she normally is. It's not much of a challenge to basically play yourself.

13 hours ago, VoicePlaya said:

I don't usually read Lana's interviews, but this one really highlighted the difference between her and Colin to me. I know most actors are like that, but he's who came to mind when I read your comment. He's constantly saying how different he is from Hook when asked and always talks about how much he enjoys playing the villain.

I think it's notable that he says his favorite version of Hook was Old Hook -- where he was just about unrecognizable under makeup and prosthetics, no glam or handsomeness whatsoever -- while we never saw an old version of Regina in the Wishverse.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

I can tell from all the instagram pictures. 

I am sure this is more of my bias of not caring as much for the new cast, but the instagram pics seem like they are trying a bit too hard to show how much fun they are having.  Forced, is probably too strong of a word, but they don't necessarily seem organic or spontaneous.  

5 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

while in Real Life, said characters have been either written off or the actors have driven off the Show because the writers (apparently in collaboration with Lana) made it all about Regina?

That is probably what bugged me the most of the interview as well.   She seemed oblivious that this great new opportunity for her came at the expense of people she had been working with for years, either because they were simply cut for expenses or they wanted to leave due to their characters being minimized in the world of Regina.  I am probably being a little too harsh on her, because I am sure she did not want anyone to lose their job, and she does not seem like a bad person, but I don't  think she has an objective view of her character and does not give a lot of thought of the other characters except how they affect Regina.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

Maybe it's because in the Show, Regina slaughtered said villages to make it all about herself, while in Real Life, said characters have been either written off or the actors have driven off the Show because the writers (apparently in collaboration with Lana) made it all about Regina? 

I think you hit the nail on the head.

And I agree with you @CCTC about her not having an objective view of her character. I know she does have a passionate fanbase, but she (along with A&E) seem to be under the impression that Regina's everyone's favorite. Not realizing how making it into the Regina show is what drove many viewers away. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, VoicePlaya said:

Not realizing how making it into the Regina show is what drove many viewers away. 

This has been a problem since Season 2. Her flip-flopping almost made me quite in Season 2. Sometimes, I wish I had. :-p

• Love 3

That awkward moment when they send Colin a promo to post on Instagram 15 minutes after it's started airing because they know the tracking for this episode and the show is non-existent. They're scared, there's no clearer thing to show.  And Colin could not give a single care about this flop reboot. Hence waiting this long to post a promo when anyone that is tuning in to watch is doing so right now.

55 minutes ago, cappoe said:

Hence waiting this long to post a promo when anyone that is tuning in to watch is doing so right now.

You may be reading too much into this. After all, the US has multiple time-zones. I get it: you want this reboot to fail. But not everything is evidence that it will. I think abc will let this season play out, at the very least. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Souris said:

Eh, supposedly Emilie de Ravin and Tom Ellis had a fling when he appeared on Once as Original Recipe Robin.

He's hot ...she's hot..so why are people thinking this is a big thing?

33 minutes ago, Mitch said:

He's hot ...she's hot..so why are people thinking this is a big thing?

They were both married (to other people) at the time, and both got divorced later. Apparently, Ellis's ex-wife suddenly revealed this information for some reason. I googled this after seeing that above picture. 

Edited by Rumsy4

Once Upon a Time ................ 0.497 ... (0.537 ... 0.457)

R.I.P 2 hr episode. It managed to start off with more viewers then last week and dropped to the same number by the end. A very shart drop.

I think based on this trajectory next week it will hit  a series low 0.4 in the demo.

Take a bow Lana you managed to draw in a bigger audience then in 7x05 yet lost more viewers, cause you're SO popular.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I'm surprised it dropped more within the episode, since a lot of people here seemed to like it a lot more.

That is surprising it seems. Guess Lana isn't such a draw to keep audiences tuned in throughout the whole episode.

Next week is gonna be ugly. A guest star centric followed up by a centric of the least popular character on the show. Yikes. 0.4 is a certainty but a 0.3 for Cinderella's centric could happen as well. 

Once has been having unusually large in-ep drops this season. Other shows in its time slot aren't experiencing the big in-ep drops, so it's not a time-slot anomaly. I don't know if people keep tuning in hoping for a good ep and then getting bored or what.

It does seem to have generally stabilized at 0.5. It may hit 0.4, but it may take more eps than I thought it would.

1 hour ago, Souris said:

Once has been having unusually large in-ep drops this season. Other shows in its time slot aren't experiencing the big in-ep drops, so it's not a time-slot anomaly. I don't know if people keep tuning in hoping for a good ep and then getting bored or what.

It does seem to have generally stabilized at 0.5. It may hit 0.4, but it may take more eps than I thought it would.

I think the 2 hr episode will do the job. I mean if there's that big a drop in one hour episode, imagine 2 hr episode. Also doesn't help one of the centrics is a Cinderella one whom is the least popular character of the reboot.

• Love 2

I don't know if people keep tuning in hoping for a good ep and then getting bored or what.

I never watch it live myself... I wait until 8:20pm or so after my PVR starts taping, so I can watch it without commercials.  I forget that when people watch it live, they might turn away and forget to come back if they didn't care what happened next.  

• Love 1

I don't think it can sustain the .5 rating with such big in-episode drops each week. I can't imagine those 600,000 viewers who keep dropping out mid-ep will continue tuning in when they are seemingly disappointed/bored every time they start watching. This was the big Regina episode and it could barely muster an uptick to start with and still ended up the same place last week did. The show was preempted in a couple of markets, so it may adjust slightly, but not significantly enough to be meaningful and it doesn't affect the pattern of huge portions of the audience changing channels each week. Just based on where the ratings end up by the end of the episodes, it's very possible that the second episode next week will reach a .4. 

They've now burned the big three returning characters' centrics which they were using to carry the ratings while they tried to hook viewers into sticking around for the newbies. It's not by mistake that the centrics were spread out every other episode. I suspect that they overestimated the popularity of the returning characters in terms of keeping eyeballs on their screens. Lana is #1 on the call sheet. She's claimed credit for this reboot. She supposedly has the most fans and her episode should grab more viewers. It couldn't even beat the Rumbelle episode.

This show was always an ensemble show regardless of screentime with Emma as the glue. Most people weren't watching for just one character. They had favorites and a few may have been watching for only one character, but mostly we cared about the connections between the characters and the community of Once as a whole. This reboot needed to develop those same characters and connections that drew the audience to Once in the first place. They have instead put characters in silos and not demonstrated why I should care about their lives. There may be characters that are more interesting to me than others, but it's not enough to keep me watching when the story is boring

• Love 11

Apparently Creation con is not inviting Jennifer Morrison next year becasue she's "no longer part of the Show". So, who was in episode 2? Gwyneth Paltrow?? The butthurt of abc/A&E seems to be at play here (disney/abc holds the license for the Show). 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Apparently Creation con is not inviting Jennifer Morrison next year becasue she's "no longer part of the Show". So, who was in episode 2? Gwyneth Paltrow?? The butthurt of abc/A&E seems to be at play here (disney/abc holds the license for the Show). 

That's ridiculous!  Don't most cons invite past guest characters?  Is ABC/A&E in charge of inviting guests?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Is ABC/A&E in charge of inviting guests?

I'm sure they control to a large degree who Creation Con gets to invite, as they hold the license. 

Apparently Emilie de Ravin and Rebecca Mader haven't been invited yet either, but they may get invited as fillers later.

6 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

I assume they want the newbies to be highlighted. Good luck with that.

Yeah, probably. And yes, exactly. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

They're only hurting their attendance with that move. I assume they want the newbies to be highlighted. Good luck with that.

Indeed, they're gonna lose massive sales on that movie. Hope they fix it, their best sales were days with JMO. 

I don't know a single person that would pay even a dollar for a picture with the newbies I sure as heck wouldn't. Why would you highlight the newbies when this is the last season and nobody watched the reboot? They're not gonna buy sessions with characters they have no attachment too. 

Hope they rectify and fix the issue cause they will lose big money. Colin can't even sell as well as JMO at all.

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Camera One said:

That's ridiculous!  Don't most cons invite past guest characters?  Is ABC/A&E in charge of inviting guests?

I highly suspect that it's a dictate from A&E/ABC. I can't imagine Creation would not invite a big draw on their own -- they're in the business of making money. A&E have been nothing but bitter jerks about Emma and Jen since they knew she wasn't coming back.

• Love 8

One thing people often talk about is how the general audience doesn't know about these types of things and only the fandom obsesses about it, so it doesn't really matter. The problem for Creation is that the members of the fandom are the people who show up at these conventions. Casual viewers don't shell out hundreds of dollars to go to these cons. We're talking only a few thousand people, many of which are Captain Swan/Emma fans, and believe me they will all know about this little move. 

• Love 3

I try to be objective but, the fact is when looking objectively since season 6 and even the trajevtory of emma as protagonist! Can just indicate at best indifference toward jen's character. I remember how jen was insisted to point that Emma was sacrificed herself for all the characters and storybrook and not just Regina. Many fans just saw a duel between cs and sq but I always thought jen insistence  was for the integrity of Emma as character above anything else! And, putting that with the contradictory statement of adam and Eddy depending of the days on that matter. That was the first red flag that smt was not right and more the season pass the more I saw red flags. And, everything this summer just solidified this impression. There  something that stink in the once universe bts concerning jen, cs emma. There just too much coincidence for just be hasard even the rapunzel and whook pairing seem strangely odd. 

They really make it difficult fore any foremost cs fans to not want the show cancel with a little more every day! Maybe that what they want! Well, if it is hope they will get it!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, maryle said:

There  something that stink in the once universe bts concerning jen, cs emma. There just too much coincidence for just be hasard even the rapunzel and whook pairing seem strangely odd. 

I agree. CS kind of had a Rapunzel and Flynn (Eugene) kind of feel to them, especially in the beginning, and pairing Whook with Rapunzel doesn't settle right with me. It just doesn't. There's something strange about the entire situation. Even with how they handled CS last season. Yeah, they got married and that was great, but there was all the contrived drama of him killing Charming's father and being OOC and separated more than once. Then we have Henry telling Regina that she was the first person who loved him and it's kind of feeling like they're trying to diminish Emma's importance as a character this season. Now this. Something's not right here. 

From a business standpoint, it's ludicrous that they wouldn't ask Jen to do the con. How many people go just for Jen and/or Jen and Colin? Speaking for myself, they're just about the only people I'd consider spending the money for. If they're going to use the excuse that she's not on the show anymore, then that applies to all former cast members right?

I think we can all guess the answer to that. Whatever the logic, it's just bad business not to ask her. 

• Love 9

That is just incredibly odd! I know a lot of people only go to these events for Jen! Creation actually said they were considering inviting Jen about a week ago (there was a specific question about her) and now all of a sudden they change their minds? I feel like something had to happen there because the guy who plays Eric was invited and he was in like 2 scenes but not the lead actress for six years! I hate conspiracy theories but wasn't Adam at the last convention (but only on Lana's day of course)? That makes me think he does have some sort of pull there.

• Love 4

Didn't she eventually have to cancel some of her scheduled appearances at some of their cons somewhat recently due to work? Don't know about the US, but I know from experience (based on other shows and related events, mind you) that some of the European con organizers tend to push talent that had to cancel on them close(r) to an event more than once down on their list of actors most likely to be invited back. I know Starfury as a UK based con team for example repeatedly gets grief from certain fan groups over that because fans often tend to read more than business related matters into these things and expect some kind of conspiracy. I suppose for most cons it's simply a matter of having (just about any) 2-3 main cast members among their lineup that will then be stocked up with a variety of supporting/guest-stars and as long as Creation still has the likes of LP, EdR and COD they're probably fine. I mean, like I said, I suppose every fan always assumes their fave brings in the most fans and all that, but at the end of the day events like these show specific cons are very much about business and profitability.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, RedKeep said:

Didn't she eventually have to cancel some of her scheduled appearances at some of their cons somewhat recently due to work? Don't know about the US, but I know from experience (based on other shows and related events, mind you) that some of the European con organizers tend to push talent that had to cancel on them close(r) to an event more than once down on their list of actors most likely to be invited back.

Then why did she say it was because she was no longer on the show? They clearly told her that

• Love 1

First I am not a con expert cause I kind of find them a bit just too gimmick to extract money for the most fervent fans but I know that other have canceled in the past and even colin did! Second there a warning that actors and actress can cancel from the con itself and speifically jen herself state that her appeareance will be depending of her schedule! 

Also, Jen is in the same boat as Emilie so if she dont do con for that reason alone emile de ravin should have the same problem as well! And, without really make any search I saw that there rumour about her and Bex not being invited back either. If thruth it sound one of the real reason is too invite the new cast.

Now, for jen not being a draw I saw that she and colin actually was sold out in the last when even lana was not at the time. So, she, colin and cs definitely is one of their biggest draw adding that the rumbelle con this summer didn't had the same succes at selling ticket and attendance that from one of the biggest rumbelle shipper who was in attendance at the con. 

So, because I don't think jen will be as much open to others type of con cause of some past problem with them I hope that they will reconsider and for the fan invite her at least at some same for Emilie and Bex. I really dont believe any new ship or cast can and will beat the original cast and ship as draw.

Lastly, I find rather funny with the multiple time this show, showrunner have mislead and lies a lots of cs fans first and reaction his to trying to put all the blame on jen and all the situations! Never grey, or multiple factors always the simple atavic reaction it somehow must be jen liying or fault. I wonder what about her that brought that reflect so easily? Being beautifull, ambition still is a problem to some? Genuinely wondering ?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, maryle said:

I really dont believe any new ship or cast can and will beat the original cast and ship as draw.

Yeah. No way. Abc/ con runners are fooling themselves if that's the case. 

it somehow must be jen liying or fault.

It does seem that JMo becomes an easier target for blame for some reason. As I understand, this happened with her House run as well. Somehow, I've gotten the impression that JMo doesn't actually speak up for herself or her character like say, Lana. In all 6 years, I've never heard that JMo pushed for a particular storyline or fought for some plot like Lana and Robert Carlyle (with different success rates). I think that led to A&E assuming she would be down to any crappy plotline they gave her character to portray. But the Season 6 savior-shakes and major sidelining of Emma over Regina was probably the breaking point for her. She fulfilled her contract and noped out. If they had treated her character with respect (and to my mind, S6 was disrespectful to JMo too), she might have been more amenable to stay for S7. But she didn't, and A&E know the requel is not as strong without Emma to hold the muck together. Hence the throwing of JMo (Adam's twitter shenanigans alone were unprofessional) and Emma under the bus as much as possible. 

As for the con, I suppose it is possible that Creation Con got offended with JMo's cancellations and decided not to invite her back, but who knows. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4

I actually agree with a lots of your saying! 

But, the spec about being jen fault cause she cancel dont explain the fact that there speculation about Bex and Emilie too! So, I think its more they want to promote the new cast ! Hoping they reconsider does invite the oc for the very likely serie final and invite Bex, Emilie and Jen at some con! Still, hoping for gosh or at least josh to appear! 

I wonder if Jen got paid for the Cons she cancelled on?  Tickets were non refundable, I would guess there were many unhappy fans.  If Jen couldn't guarantee her availability, I could see them not asking her back.   I thought the last convention she appeared at was awkward because it was clear she doesn't watch the current show.

That is the biggest amount of denial I have ever seen. LMAO.

There ratings are garbage, their viewers are leaving in droves and after the rape stuff in this episode more people have announced they're done. Their entire twitter timeline is negative comments on these episodes right now. But it's just websites. 

Boy they're so delusional, lol. They're gonna get cancelled and they'll probably be like well the audience didn't like our vision and I don't understand why.

• Love 4

“It depends which website you’re on,” Kitsis told TheWrap about fan response. “[Viewers who] are with us seem to be open to this new device. Some of the things we’ve been hearing is fans were excited, and they feel that Season 1 vibe.”

Where are you hearing this?  In your own head?  I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Horowitz and Kitsis previously told TheWrap that Belle (Emilie de Ravin), who was killed off in a recent episode, needed to die this season in order to show the pain that longtime love Rumple (Robert Carlyle) endures.

Give me a freak'in break.  Wah wah wah he's in so much pain.

“We can’t forget that Rumple is The Dark One, and that ‘The Dark One’ means he’s immortal,” Kitsis said. “For us, what we loved was Belle was always this North Star for Rumple, always keeping him in the light instead of letting him fully retreat into darkness, and now we realize that Belle taught him the last lesson.

We can't forget that Rumple chose to become The Dark One again in Season 5.  Belle did not "always keep him in the light".  He went dark when he wanted to, and he wasn't as despicable (oh sorry "kept in the light") when he decided not to be despicable.  Are they watching some imaginary show we don't know about?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, retrograde said:

‘Once Upon a Time’ Creators on Whether Fans Enjoy Season 7: ‘Depends Which Website You’re On’

I'm laughing because it popped up on my Twitter page. A writer for the Wrap which published this article quoted the title of the article and said 'Does it though?' - even reporters can't take Adam and Eddy seriously!

• Love 5

Where there are two episodes back to back, it is inevitable that the second one is going to lose viewers. I wonder why they chose to air the second hour last night instead of the week after thanksgiving. As it is, it now leaves a three week break before the next episode.

• Love 2

Here are the unrounded 18-49 prelims for Friday, November 17:

Once Upon a Time ................ 0.510 ... (0.563 ... 0.456)
Once Upon a Time ................ 0.428 ... (0.426 ... 0.431)

They lost a lot of viewers by the end of 7x07 and at the beginning of 7x08 they lost viewers and gained a very small amount back at the end.

This signifies audiences did not like the rape thing and tuned out.

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 1

Plus the second hour had different competition - so it is hard to say for sure why the drop happened, simply natural drop due to being the second hour, the time slot itself, or the content of the end of the previous episode

I think the bigger test will be how it does when it returns, although with the break and then competition of holiday activities, I don't think it will get season highs.

Edited by CCTC
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, cappoe said:

This signifies audiences did not like the rape thing and tuned out.

I have a feeling you are giving the General Audience too much credit. 

7 minutes ago, CCTC said:

although with the break and then competition of holiday activities, I don't think it will get season highs.

Yeah. If abc fails to promote the episode, most people won't even realize OUAT is back on.

• Love 2