Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Netflix was willing to help fund an additional season of "Once" (which seemed nonsensical), but that type of mindset will govern in the future Disney streaming.  There's always a possibility Disney will want to start with some recognizable shows on streaming to compete with Netflix.

19 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Netflix was willing to help fund an additional season of "Once" (which seemed nonsensical), but that type of mindset will govern in the future Disney streaming.  There's always a possibility Disney will want to start with some recognizable shows on streaming to compete with Netflix.

But no one recognizes this season of OUAT. It would be nonsensical. Disney could acquire tons of recognizable shows and properties. They have an endless supply of shows with familiar characters. This season of OUAT has the majority of the characters that no one recognizes nor cares about.. 

Maybe Disney may do this for AOS which they saved but they did not save OUAT, Netflix did and I do not at all think Netflix is saving this season.

36 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I doubt that OUAT would be on the short list of shows they do that with.

Assuming they go the pay service route they'll do it like CBS with Star Trek.

They'll hit up Star Wars, Marvel, X Men, or X Files. etc.  If they go the Disney, they'll do something straight up Disney or Pixar without the OUAT taint.

Edited by ParadoxLost
Just now, ParadoxLost said:

I doubt that OUAT would be on the short list of shows they do that with.

Assuming they go the pay service route they'll do it like CBS with Star Trek.

They'll hit up Star Wars, Marvel, X Files. etc.  If they go the Disney, they'll do something straight up Disney or Pixar without the OUAT taint.

Shoot do Kingdom Hearts. Do you know how many people have begged for Disney to capitalize on that property. A streaming Kingdom Hearts series is money.

I was wondering when Netflix will have to give up "Once", since Disney shows/movies will be gradually removed from Netflix, to be brought to their own streaming service.

I do recognize it's extremely unlikely.  I wouldn't be surprised if they will offer A&E some new opportunities, though.

14 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I was wondering when Netflix will have to give up "Once", since Disney shows/movies will be gradually removed from Netflix, to be brought to their own streaming service.

I do recognize it's extremely unlikely.  I wouldn't be surprised if they will offer A&E some new opportunities, though.

After the reaction to the reboot, I don't think Adam and Eddy will have much of a fanbase left to trust them. They've left a lot of bad taste in their loyal fans mouths.

3 minutes ago, superloislane said:

Where was it stated that Netflix helped fund another season? Is that from an actual source because I've seen it said a lot in different places?

I don't think it's directly fund, but apparently Netflix was a factor in its renewal.  I don't really understand it that much, but there was some negotiation with Netflix to reduce the show's licensing fee and profit participation.  Here is a quote from one article in the Hollywood Reporter last spring:

The reboot comes as Once remains a valuable property for ABC. The series, whose live viewership has dwindled to a string of series lows in season six, has a massive SVOD deal with Netflix that is said to be in the eight-figure range. As part of the renewal, ABC and ABC Studios have renegotiated to reduce the show's license fee and profit participation, with creators/showrunners Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis both signing off on the deal. Season six of the drama averaged a 1.0 among adults 18-49 and 3.3 million total viewers, growing 60 percent and 42 percent, respectively, with seven days of delayed viewing. The series remains a fan-favorite with a strong presence on social media as well as an important extension of the Disney brand, having featured a number of iconic characters during its run.

• Love 2

Once actually grew from last week -- people wanted to see Zelena? Belatedly realized it was back? It was ABC's highest-rated show of the night (which, admittedly, isn't saying much). It has been steady at 0.5 for quite some time.

This week: 0.536
Last week: 0.489

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Souris said:

Once actually grew from last week -- people wanted to see Zelena? Belatedly realized it was back? It was ABC's highest-rated show of the night (which, admittedly, isn't saying much). It has been steady at 0.5 for quite some time.

This week: 0.536
Last week: 0.489

It was down in viewership to almost below 2 million. Not even Zelena was enough to increase their ratings. DST is going to kill this shows Spring Ratings. They really need to announce this season as the last already.

I never thought they were not going to show all 22 or 23 episode so I dont think not reducted the order show anything ! And, yes objectively this show is doing bad like quantico that people was laughing at bad! And, I cannot see this show being lead in material never again! I watched agent of Shields and I do believe that having a show that Los is detrimental to and show that follow it.

The question is Will they have another season and if I dont think its likely at most I guess they could have a short last season but the question is why? 

Now, for when they do decide to cancel or renew,  Well not that long ago they cancel castle I think the same week that they show the serie final! For which they bad to adjust just before it air to give a bien a final serie! So, that telling! 

Now, the more cancel announcement is make the less likely the final would be memorable or bring back the original cast back! So, now Will see ils low spring rating will go and that Will mean for the show!

17 minutes ago, Camera One said:

If this show was performing that badly, they would have pulled it off the schedule, delayed the announcement of its return, or reduced the episode order.   A&E and ABC will do what they want to do.

With the deal, they would have already made their money off this 22 episode season so there would be absolutely nothing to gain from reducing the order or pulling it altogether. It would just cause them problems because then they would have to replace it. I do see them announcing it as the final season towards the end though

• Love 1

It lost over 650,000 viewers during the episode again. I don't get it. I understand why people turn it off. I just don't understand why they keep coming back only to shut it off again every single week. Incidentally, the demo may have been up slightly, but number of overall viewers was down. Last week started with 2.84 million and finished with 2.15, this week started at 2.67 million and finished with 2.01 million.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

It lost over 650,000 viewers during the episode again. I don't get it. I understand why people turn it off. I just don't understand why they keep coming back only to shut it off again every single week. 

I honestly don't get it, either. Other 8 p.m. hourlong shows don't consistently have that big in-ep drop each week. Some at Spotted Ratings surmise that it's holdover from people watching the news or whatever is on for them right before. But then why doesn't that hit other shows, too? Is it just because Once turns people off more than other 8 p.m. shows? It's odd. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

It lost over 650,000 viewers during the episode again. I don't get it. I understand why people turn it off. I just don't understand why they keep coming back only to shut it off again every single week. Incidentally, the demo may have been up slightly, but number of overall viewers was down. Last week started with 2.84 million and finished with 2.15, this week started at 2.67 million and finished with 2.01 million.

Honestly I think it has to do with peolpe not changing the channel on time from what they were watching at 7:30 and by the time they realize it's on the wrong channel this happens.

Honestly that's the only explanation. But they are losing a massive chunk of the demo in the 2nd half hour which is not a good sell at all for ad buyers. This looks even worse, when you compare to every other drop from the shows which are all pretty standard.

This drop is ridiculously bad. Ad buyers will not put money into these kind of risks.  It's incredibly poor business. Sure the rating is stable on the surface but looking at it from all angles it's not. It's really horrible. Those in episode drops are massive and those viewership declines is every episode and it's at below 2 million. That's awful from all standpoints. This is a midseason finale and a hyped return of a character, really bad. 

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 1

Maybe people turn it on while they're getting dressed for their Friday night activities/meet-up with friends at the bar or the club, but they all have to leave after watching 15-20 minutes of it, which is pretty much all you need to see to keep up with the show this season.

On a happy note, the lucky grads of University of Wisconsin-Madison got their winter commencement speech today from Eddy and Adam!  LOL if there were any "Once" fans in the audience... I hope they didn't tire out their facial muscles with the eye rolls.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

"Grads... I know what you're thinking out there.  You've worked hard for four years, but all those perfect Snow Whites and Prince Charmings and Cinderellas out there are getting all the jobs and the success.  Well, sweep them aside because YOU are the Evil Queens and Rumplestiltskins, the Ignored, the Persecuted, the People who are Undervalued.  Let people know YOUR story since YOU are the Author, YOU are the Savior, YOU are the Guardian of our Planet!!   In life, there will be a lot of annoying whiny losers who will be pestering you on social media and criticizing you for not doing your math properly, not checking your own writing and littering it with inconsistencies but IGNORE THEM!  Do what YOU want, because you're the smart one, and squish those naysayers with your boot and as the wise people in the fairytales say, LOVE IS WEAKNESS! Uh, oops, we grabbed the wrong paper from our desk this morning."

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 11
22 minutes ago, Camera One said:

On a happy note, the lucky grads of University of Wisconsin-Madison got their winter commencement speech today from Eddy and Adam!  LOL if there were any "Once" fans in the audience... I hope they didn't tire out their facial muscles with the eye rolls.

Did it go like this?

"Graduates of University of Wisconsin-Madison, our names are Adam and Eddy, and we need your help. Our TV show is in danger, but we can save it with magic. We know how crazy it sounds, but magic is real. It's all around us. You just have to be willing to tweet it, you have to be willing to believe. We know how hard that is. But we never once let our own belief waver, and we were never wrong. We need viewers magic. It can make the world a better place. We know it seems impossible, but think about it - at some point in your life, every one of you was once a Oncer. At some point, you left that part of you behind, but you can go back to it if you believe! So what do you say? Will you give it a watch for us? Will you help us return magic to ABC?"

(Funny story: I googled "Henry Fountain Speech OUAT", and the first video to come up was called "Once Upon a Cringe" LOL)

@Camera One We think too much alike.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Who'se gonna take one for the team and watch it first?

*sigh* I did.

I was about to say that it wasn't so bad in the first couple of minutes...but then they mentioned a meet-cute, and the eye rolling started. 

A lot about how they met in college, and then they finally got to their shows about six minutes in. They also talked about some rules they have in their writers' room. Sit back; it gets good:

1. Something about not being a "hollow bunny" (Easter and storytelling are apparently the same thing???), and how OUAT needed their fairy tale characters feel realistic. And yes, they solidify their opinion that a child is equally at fault than an adult (they LEGIT put kid Snow and adult Regina on the same LEVEL). 
  2. What else made me laugh? "Don't be afraid to tear down the board". Basically, their first idea went nowhere so they built upon it. Just like how they keep doing it every other episode, clearly.
  3. Avoid typecasting (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL). Yes, because the clear answer to that is switch up their personalities every other season. 
  4. It's the journey, not the destination. Yeah, that explains a lot. This point made sense, until they brought up the damn polar bear on LOST. 

It could have been worse, for sure, and the guys do seem fairly nice. I just think they have a lot more to learn. 

• Love 8

"For Once Upon a Time, we wanted to bring fairy tale characters into the real world. But that meant they couldn't be one-dimensional cartoons. They had to feel like real people."

(they LEGIT put kid Snow and adult Regina on the same LEVEL)

Snow and Regina are "both culpable". 

I love how Regina got a special mention. Apparently, her Disney version is a "hollow bunny" because she's superficial and her story is too silly.

You could swear Isaac wrote this speech.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

I'm seven minutes into the speech right now.  I'm surprised when they gave examples of meet-cute's, they didn't include getting into a vehicle accident and then punching the other person out to take their ride.

You know, the phrase "hollow bunny" as it was defined by Eddy, "They look great but when you bite into it, it crumbles and it falls apart because it's hollow.  It turns out it's cheap.  It just looks good".

Doesn't that exactly describe "Once Upon a Time" and pretty much all the new characters in Season 7?   

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, Camera One said:

You know, the phrase "hollow bunny" as it was defined by Eddy, "They look great but one when you bite into it, it crumbles and it falls apart because it's hollow.  It turns out it's cheap.  It just looks good"

I take great offense to that! I love hollow bunnies. I never liked the solid chocolate rabbits. They were just too much. 

That said, their entire show was a giant hollow bunny per his definition. It seemed great but turned out cheap and falls apart as soon as you get into it. 

• Love 5

There are so many laugh-out-loud moments and it's not even intentional.

"Go out there and find a story, find YOUR story"

They're telling everyone to be a Henry.  

In the Writers' Room, we build our story piece by piece, moment by moment

No wonder nothing pulls together.

Life is full of moments

Quoting Prince Charming now, eh?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:
  1. Something about not being a "hollow bunny" (Easter and storytelling are apparently the same thing???), and how OUAT needed their fairy tale characters feel realistic. And yes, they solidify their opinion that a child is equally at fault than an adult (they LEGIT put kid Snow and adult Regina on the same LEVEL). 
1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

Snow and Regina are "both culpable". 

I love how Regina got a special mention. Apparently, her Disney version is a "hollow bunny" because she's superficial and her story is too silly.

You could swear Isaac wrote this speech.

Oh my goodness! Well first of all, thank you for watching it. I did expect some Isaac-style self-congratulation, but I really did not expect the two geniuses to share their crazy views on the Regina-Snow conflict at a commencement speech. I have no words.

• Love 1

They go on and on about the dangers of typecasting, but that's exactly what they did to the various main characters.  Hook only got stories about feeling bad about horrible things he did.  Snowing only got stories about being separated or threatened.  Emma only got stories about her WALLS.  

They said life is limitless, which is inspiring I guess, but then said their writing was limited by budget, ratings, the audience... what are they implying with that?  The audience limits the amazingness of that they could put out?

• Love 8

Last creation OUAT con. And it seems clear to me they're closing the sets which means the show has been cancelled.

What a shock to anyone that the new cast is not selling cause nobody cares about them. 

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 6

Ratings from last night

Agents of Shield last night:  Viewers: 2.61 million (#3), A18-49: 0.6/ 3 (#2t)

It's sad that more people would watch "Shark Tank" than use their literary analysis and mathematical timeline calculations skill on a typical episode of "Once".
Shark Tank (R): Viewers: 3.82 million (#2), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#2)

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

Well I think this seals OUAT's fate.

A re-run of Shark Tanks delivered better ratings then OUAT has done all year and it helped AOS raise up to a 0.6. This confirms that OUAT was killing their entire Friday line up and it does not look good for the show. 

Just now, Camera One said:

Ratings from last night

It's sad that more people would watch "Shark Tank" than use their literary analysis and mathematical timeline calculations skill on a typical episode of "Once".

At least Shark Tanks is entertaining. This really does not look good for OUAT at all. If anything it shows it hinders  the lineup.

• Love 7

That does proven what I already thought about once not being lead material anymore! And, ils wont be better next year but once is brand as "family show" so its unlikely they will change the timeslot so its another indication toward the likeness to be the last year, not sure yet!

But, the against a renewal seem heavy when looking at the big picture and the pro just depending on unknow factor really hard to judge.

Edited by maryle
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

Ratings from last night

Sad but expected, Shark Tank was part of the solid lineup they already had on this night before they blew it up for this new lineup.

I saw the ABC Happy New Year promo last night during the commercial break from the New Year's Eve from NYC special.  In the "What you saw on ABC in 2017" part", there was a shot centered on guess who 

Spoiler

Regina  (though you can see Whook and Jacinda in the background)

The "What you will see in 2018" didn't have any scene from "Once".  

Edit: I just found the video if you want to watch it.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

She's all they've got left. They have to focus on her. She's not enough to carry the show, but they're throwing it all on her shoulders. 

Especially since nowadays she gets nothing to do but react to whatever is going on in the form of angsting. She doesn't have any character arc of her own.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2018 at 2:19 PM, Rumsy4 said:

Just some light-hearted fun. Looks like Josh Dallas misses his mate (X). 

If Josh Dallas had wanted to stay on the show, maybe they could have paired Whook with Wish James as a dastardly couple, and they finally decide to become better men after they were tragically separated.  

• Love 6

I thought that’s where they were going with the Frog Prince story. But no. The twitter crowd has always been vocal about wanting a lesbian couple in the show. If it’s not SQ, it’s Sleeping Warrior (Mulan/Aurora) or Dragon Queen.  A&E are writing for their audience. The Captain Charming fans know they’re crack shippers. So, they don’t advocate for the ship. I can’t think of any serious male ships in the fandom. Hmm... interesting. I wonder why that is...