Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

The one thing that made me think Lana and Jen might not be exactly close, is the week leading up to Jen's guest episode this year, she was continually posting pics of her and the original cast - Ginny, Colin, Josh, and Jared.  I think someone here pointed out Lana had actually been in one of the pics, but was cropped out.  Then when the episode aired, I don't think they really shared any scenes (although - I barely remember the episode, so I could be wrong.)

I don't dislike Lana and think she can be a good actress, and I can see why her season 1 work made her stand-out.  I do agree with the post above, sometimes she did seem like she tries a bit too hard in some of her interviews.  It will be interesting to see what she does next.  In someways she is probably the most identified with her role on the show, and I wonder if she will have a harder time not being typecast later.   

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, CCTC said:

In someways she is probably the most identified with her role on the show, and I wonder if she will have a harder time not being typecast later.   

She certainly did herself no favors in that regard by not doing ANY other roles during the course of the show. I think everybody else did at least one other project, and some did quite a few.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

The thing that does bug me is the mutual admiration society she has formed with A&E.  It really irks me when either party does an interview that is exclusively about how wonderful the other is.  But that is mostly about how much A&E irk me and less about LP. 

That bugs me to, I admit. Also, A&E tend to talk about Regina in a positive light when compared to any other character in the Show, and Lana's interviews tend to reflect that view. It's always about how far Regina's come, or how much she's suffered, how deeply she feels, and how badly she was wronged, etc.. But when A&E talked about Emma, it was almost always about her WALLS. They never seemed particularly excited to talk about Emma.

Also, it pisses me off whenever A&E boast about making Snow White badass. No, you dumbasses: you ultimately made her worse than her fairy tale iterations, and you know it. Only A&E would keep patting themselves on the back for managing to turn something with exciting potential into something utterly stale and boring. Just like the Show.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

Also, it pisses me off whenever A&E boast about making Snow White badass. No, you dumbasses: you ultimately made her worse than her fairy tale iterations, and you know it. Only A&E would keep patting themselves on the back for managing to turn something with exciting potential into something utterly stale and boring. Just like the Show.

Replying in All Seasons.

Edited by Camera One
13 hours ago, Kktjones said:

Personally, I find Lana's real life personality extremely off-putting. It has nothing to do with her character and everything to do with her huge ego and her attention-seeking behavior. She also feeds into the worst parts of her fandom and continually throws her costars and the writers under the bus. I think for anyone that has followed the fandom the last couple of years, it's very clear that Lana and Jen do not get along at all. I won't even get into Lana's fans/stans, but I think their behavior adds to people's dislike of Lana.

I agree and think we really won't know anything until people start getting out there and taking part in new opportunities. I think being mentioned in the article is probably a good sign for Ginny & Colin, but I don't think it means anyone not mentioned has no future.

(I'll probably delete this soon as I'm sure her crazy fans will screen shot it and work themselves into a frenzy about it like they do everything)

That's what turned me off too. 

10 hours ago, tri4335 said:

I think that ensemble shows have this drama built into the nature of the show especially if the leads are not megastars from the start.  Actors need to promote themselves and it is a scale on how much that promotion is to the detriment or benefit to their co-workers.  So my scale for ensemble casts is a follows: on the far left you have John Ritter whose co-stars didn't speak to him for decades and on the far right you have the cast of friends who held out as a group until everyone was paid equally. In the exact middle is where most actors fall, which is promoting themselves but neither helping nor hurting their cast mates.  For some (and I do include myself in those numbers), LP was left of middle but she certainly wasn't to the extreme left.  It is clear the LP/Regina/EQ and Rumple were favorites of A & E. But when I think of the promotion done by both actors, I clearly remember RC promoting MJR and ER and I don't remember that from LP - what I do remember are a couple of instances where I think her take on things were detrimental to her coworkers and JMO in particular. I don't think they were feuding and both were professional but I don't think they were "friends" either. But in truth, my opinion has no affect on anything. :-)

This part bugs me. I do think LP is left of the middle. She's not extreme. But I don't see her promoting other people. I don't know if she's more of an out for herself or if she's using A&E love of her and her character to benefit herself. She gets what she wants. Lana doesn't seem bothered at all by the lack of screen time for anyone else, how so many people she's worked with have been written off or reduced to peanuts all for her character. She gets the most screen time except for Rumple. I know as an actor or actress that's really great. But she doesn't seemed bugged or bother by it at all. I don't think there was feuding either. But there's no way that doesn't effect your relationship with your co-workers. She's so wrapped up in her own character, her ego and turning her character into the star of the show I don't think it bothers her how it effects anyone else. It bothers me that Lana doesn't find it odd how many cheerleaders her character has. 

7 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I honestly can't remember anything specific about LP vs. JMo.

The couple things that stood out to me were LP doing press that came across as trying too hard.  Interviews that made me wonder why such an odd topic (and not just a blurb, but a whole article) had come up as promotion for the show and what perception she was trying so hard to combat out of left field. 

One was an article she did early this year where she seemed really focused on portraying herself as the mother figure of both the old cast and the new cast when I'd never seen much of anything that came across that way.  She could have just been getting a lot of flak for staying with the show when half the cast was fired but it seemed kind of desperate and not very truthful because she was pulling out stories from the pilot.  I mean its ok not to be best buds with coworkers, but I do get that a lot of fandom probably hates that and can spin it to you are either besties or mortal enemies.

The thing that does bug me is the mutual admiration society she has formed with A&E.  It really irks me when either party does an interview that is exclusively about how wonderful the other is.  But that is mostly about how much A&E irk me and less about LP. 

6 hours ago, CCTC said:

The one thing that made me think Lana and Jen might not be exactly close, is the week leading up to Jen's guest episode this year, she was continually posting pics of her and the original cast - Ginny, Colin, Josh, and Jared.  I think someone here pointed out Lana had actually been in one of the pics, but was cropped out.  Then when the episode aired, I don't think they really shared any scenes (although - I barely remember the episode, so I could be wrong.)

I don't dislike Lana and think she can be a good actress, and I can see why her season 1 work made her stand-out.  I do agree with the post above, sometimes she did seem like she tries a bit too hard in some of her interviews.  It will be interesting to see what she does next.  In someways she is probably the most identified with her role on the show, and I wonder if she will have a harder time not being typecast later.   

She was a good actress in season one. She did some really good stuff. The only thing other thing I've ever seen her in was that episode on Covert Affairs. I think it was the third or four episode in season one where Lana played the mistress of a Venezuelan businessman. God, her character was stupid. Going to meet her boyfriend after she helped the CIA get the information they needed to arrest him and being shocked when he tries to kill her. Then being a bitch to Annie, after she saved her life. You should have let her die Annie.  

5 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

That bugs me to, I admit. Also, A&E tend to talk about Regina in a positive light when compared to any other character in the Show, and Lana's interviews tend to reflect that view. It's always about how far Regina's come, or how much she's suffered, how deeply she feels, and how badly she was wronged, etc.. But when A&E talked about Emma, it was almost always about her WALLS. They never seemed particularly excited to talk about Emma.

I agree about the mutual admiration society she formed with A&E. I get loving the character you play. That's great. I get how great it would be for an actress to form that kind of relationship with the writers of the show. But these three have zero perspective on the character of Regina. The mass murdering rapist is not the greatest character to ever grace the screen.  I know actors and actress love to play the bad guy, the villains. They are more fun to play and more interesting. But that's not how they see her character. It bugs me to hear Lana talk about how much Regina's suffered and poor Regina. I don't think she can separate herself from her character. A better relationship with Henry? Done. She wanted a love interest and she got one. I disliked her comments about how she didn't like the situation with Henry because it was somehow against adoption or anti-adoption. I mean, what? Why does that even come up? What does that have to do with your show or your character? That makes zero sense.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Lana doesn't seem bothered at all by the lack of screen time for anyone else, how so many people she's worked with have been written off or reduced to peanuts all for her character. She gets the most screen time except for Rumple.

One could argue that Lana doesn't have to be bothered by it. However, It's not likely to endear her to the others actors or fans of the characters they play, especially as their screen-time and importance to a plot is usually inversely proportional to Regina's. I'm not a fan of Regina because she swallowed up my favs' screentimes and importance, and I don't think that character deserved such coddling treatment. Lana's attitude towards Regina and other characters hasn't endeared me to her either. Sue me. It's a nice sentiment to think people ought to remain unbiased, but that's not realistic. So, when people accuse fans of conflating characters with actors, it's likely true to a certain degree, but that doesn't mean it invalidates someone's opinion. 

I think it's starkly clear that JMo was done with Lana by the end of Season 6. She didn't even film with Lana for her Season 7 episode (it was edited later). It's equally obvious that A&E are bitter over her decision not the stay. But they have to deal with the consequences of their writing choices. There's no use throwing a tantrum because she wasn't happy with the way they treated her character and/or decided to move on with her life instead of being stuck in a rut. She didn't walk out of her contract. She simply chose not to re-sign.

Btw, Carlyle's screentime is usually never high. Lana typically has one of the highest screentimes (more than double everyone else's in S6).

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

I rather think some of the actors may have more trouble finding a new role, as they were so underused in the Show, and many of them don't seem to have done any short-term projects over the hiatuses. As for Lana, I actually don't think she'd been actively looking. Now that she knows OUAT is cancelled for sure, I expect she'll be spreading feelers around. But she hasn't done anything outside of the Show for the last 7 years either. Sadly, I expect it's still harder for women to get prominent roles as they grow older. If A&E land another show, they'll probably once again cast Lana, or possibly, Bex Mader. They tend to pick actors they've worked with in the past. Lana, de Ravin, Mader, Elizabeth Mitchell, Jorge Garcia, Naveen Andrews, Zuleikha Robinson (Amara in Wonderland), Alan Dale, Eric Lange (young Leopold),  Patrick Fischler (Isaac), were all in LOST, and they cast the Anna actress on Dead of Summer. 

I actually think the underused actors will find it easier to get work...I think Parrilla will be typecast for a while, and since she was the face of the show, people might just think of her as a niche actress in that goofy show, they will forget S1 where Regina was more of a complicated character and the actress got to play everything  from regret, wistfullness, humor, sadness, wily, smart and devious...even the EQ wasnt as blustery campy and was scarier in the first season...later seasons all she got to play was snarling, crying and over the top camp.

I guess the closest I can think of Regina and the actress is my old soap Guiding Light...the actress playing Reva would give intererviews all about her and how she wasnt getting enough screen time when the show, which was an ensemble show before, twisted in knots to give her a storyline...(they even cloned her!!!) Her fans just LURVED everything she did and the actress seemed to be oblivious on how she came off. The rest of the audience began to really resent her, even though she wasnt writing the show and she was an actress who wasnt getting any younger who had to push herself.

• Love 1

My big problem with Lana has been how absolutely tone deaf (either knowingly or not - neither is good) she has been while her cast mates have been swept up in Twitter dramas, many times in her name. Jen was getting mercilessly bullied and having all kinds of names thrown at her for liking the CS tea a fan made? Lana posts the SQ sweater picture that same day (also the last time those two took a picture together, if anyone is interested). Christie Laing is getting mercilessly bullied because Marian is alive? Lana responds positively to a fan wishing Marian dead. Sean is being slammed with awful rumors that could affect his career? Lana says nothing - until her name is directly dragged into it. Is she responsible for her fans’ actions? No, but she damn well knew how they would react and go running to the writers and her costars. Add on the amount of times she has thrown her costars’ characters under the bus (saying Emma deserves being yelled at, that the Swan Believer storyline was anti-adoption, telling a room full of SQ who already worship her she would talk to A&E about SQ, knowing damn well it’ll never happen) and yeah, I get the picture of someone far more concerned with being the Queen Bee than anything else.  This year, and the near daily tongue baths she got from A&E and the new cast, and that absurd article about her she “set the tone” for the reboot, and now the directing gig, only further convinced me of that. 

As for Lana and Jen, look. They filmed their final scenes on separate days. They won’t appear at cons on the same day. They’re never in on-set photos together. When Jen posted a congrats message for Lana for winning a Teen Choice Award, it was a four year old picture that was first in a google search. Lana’s own agent publicly badmouthed Jen. Jen ignored Lana when the both attended ABC upfronts a couple of years ago. I don’t think it’s wild speculation to say they don’t get along. 

Edited by RolloTomasi
Added paranthesis
  • Love 17

Oh that's too bad...its too bad people can't just do their jobs but then, that biz is all about ego. Its also too bad that the audience can't just watch the show they get into this weird cult like adulation (or hate) of someone. I mean, I think the character of Cinderella this year blows, and I think the actress does not bring any charm to the role, I HATE the Henry character kid and adult, and I think the actor is not that charismatic in the role (to be fair I don't think George Clooney could make Henry work) but I have nothing against them. Now the writer's the writers work is fair game...they stink!!!

• Love 1

I won't judge Lana as a person, but she always seemed to be more devoted to the idea of the show and A&E's vision. Other actors, like Jennifer and Robert, seemed to put eggs in portraying their characters as written, rather than trying to change them by pulling strings with the producers.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Just a reminder as we're entering the final stretch - everyone is entitled to their opinions. They can dislike and like whoever they want on the show or in the cast. The rule here is to respect your fellow posters. So if they say something you don't like about your favorite actor or character, it is okay.

And so, let's resume discussing the actual topic of this thread, Media about OUAT. Thanks!

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

I'd say over the past seven years that Lana was always offered as an interview by ABC.

It was a particularly odd choice for some arcs and episodes. For example, during the S4-S5 hiatus, most people assumed that Regina would be front and centre of that arc from all the interviews Lana did and all the comic-con bites offered by A&E. She took over the Show completely after that point, so I guess it didn't make much difference in the long run. Regina/Lana was used as the face of the Show from almost the beginning. 

23 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

There is one particular agency that represents a few associated with the show that is one big pain in the rear from what I hear from industry friends. 

You mean the agency has a poor reputation? I wonder if the actors are unaware of that if so...

30 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

I've worked in and with media enough to say that the sparse number of Bobby interviews versus Lana is not a coincidence. When I did a few freelance entertainment stories for smaller publications, I would get the list from ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX of who was being offered up for interviews. I'd say over the past seven years that Lana was always offered as an interview by ABC.

What does that mean though? Did ABC offer the actors they wanted to do interviews or did actors offer themselves up? I'm not sure how it works.

If you look at the description for "For Love", it has quite a few A&E buzzwords.  I've bolded them.

For Love is from feature writer-director Michael Cooney (Identity) and revolves around Hope Castille, who, five years after her fiancé is killed, gets a phone call from him. It is described as an epic love triangle set against a grounded, secret world of magic in present-day New Orleans. 

I'll now rewrite "For Love" if A&E wants to take over this show.

For Love revolves around Tiana, who, five years after her fiancé is killed, gets a phone call from him while making beignets in her food truck. It is described as an epic love triangle set against a grounded, secret world of magic in present-day New Orleans, where characters from fairy tales were transported after a Dark Curse.

Every so often I pop into this forum to see the news.  Not surprised this is the final season, as I was following the falling ratings. I don't have cable, and because CTV in Canada hasn't aired this season, I haven't seen any of the reboot.  I probably wouldn't have watched anyway, since for me, OUAT was Emma & Henry. Once they were gone, the show was over for me.  My last episode was the wedding. So for me, Emma & Hook got their happy ending. 

• Love 5
On 2/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, XrystalPond said:

Apparently ABC has some interest in keeping some of the OUAT cast around on the network. These shows are some that are being floated for a few of the cast to join. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/abc-adds-magic-sunken-treasure-drama-pilots-1078117

There is a standard of youth and beauty that really hurts aging women in Hollywood. Lana can play a bit younger than her age, but not that much younger. She's at the point that she would have to go for the mother roles versus the lead, which would hurt anyone's ego. Conversely, Colin can believably play much younger than his years (especially when clean shaven) so that would help him. Given his choices in offseason projects, I am honestly surprised that he ever wanted to do OUAT.

From rumors, Colin was apparently considering giving up on acting before he got the Once role, because he wasn't having much success, so I don't think he was in a position to turn it down for something that was more up his alley -- it was more like a huge opportunity for him.

As for the former paragraph, how do we know that those shows are being floated to Once cast members? The story doesn't mention that -- is that just something you've heard?

I hope that after the show ends, someone on YouTube analyzes it with the same depth we do here on the board. I've seen some analysis videos of it, but they're usually pretty shallow and don't highlight the core problems with the show. (They're also typically biased toward some pairing or character.) There's still so much to unravel from the show as a whole. It's the textbook example of how not to run a primetime drama series.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I hope that after the show ends, someone on YouTube analyzes it with the same depth we do here on the board. I've seen some analysis videos of it, but they're usually pretty shallow and don't highlight the core problems with the show. (They're also typically biased toward some pairing or character.)

How does that work? Do they just talk on camera about it or do they incorporate clips? I'd never considered doing the kind of stuff I do here on a video. The talking head stuff would be in my skill set (broadcast news degree), but I don't know how I'd get a hold of clips to incorporate to illustrate points. It would be easy to edit clips once I found them, but I don't have the technical ability to grab them from DVD or online, or whatever. I wonder if doing that kind of thing would give you access to the press site, but the press site will probably go away once the show ends.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

How does that work? Do they just talk on camera about it or do they incorporate clips? I'd never considered doing the kind of stuff I do here on a video. The talking head stuff would be in my skill set (broadcast news degree), but I don't know how I'd get a hold of clips to incorporate to illustrate points. It would be easy to edit clips once I found them, but I don't have the technical ability to grab them from DVD or online, or whatever. I wonder if doing that kind of thing would give you access to the press site, but the press site will probably go away once the show ends.

Perhaps you could partner with a fan that does gifs or videos and they could supply you with the clips you need and you could credit them.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Mitch said:

Wow..why all the cattiness to Parrilla? I know people don't like Regina but why is there this weird  Parrilla vs. Morrison thing?

I don't follow their Twitter things..so maybe things happen there....

I never understood it with this fandom either. A lot of people--here at least--hate the character and/or the writing, and the hate seems to extend to the actress as well. I'm sure she was asked to encourage and drop crumbs for the Swan Queen fandom because even the writers took that part of the fandom seriously when writing the show. *shrug*

As for post-show, I wish them all well. I imagine Parrilla will have a harder time because she was the breakout star from the show--on top of not being young anymore, considering how much that impacts the available roles a woman will have a shot at in a male-centric industry--and it's hard to break into a new role when viewers associate you so much with another.

• Love 1
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:00 AM, XrystalPond said:

I brought him up, but I was even more surprised that actors of Bobby and even Ginny's pedigree and experience would consider it either. I guess it is a still a sign of the times and blurred lines that movie actors go to television without ruining their careers. There was a day when that would have been considered career suicide. 

Edited Wednesday 05:13 PM by XrystalPond.

Bobby had just moved his family to Vancouver to do "Stargate Universe" which was also a big surprise to his fans at the time but his character was supposed to be complex and Machiavellian. Unlike the rest of the Stargate shows it got cancelled after 2 seasons and he quickly signed on to do a similar character shooting in the same city because he'd just got everyone settled in schools and enjoying life. Plus money. Ginny could probably have held out for another HBO/premium cable show or indies after Big Love, but I think OUAT was considered a good bet when it started because of the Disney synergy etc. Plus for some actors the dual roles might have been a plus, being different and more challenging than your average doctor/cop/lawyer network show. 

From early interviews, I remember Bobby was as happy to end up with a steady gig as was Colin. The acting business can be so unpredictable. 

As for Ginny, she’s a huge Disneyphile. That could be one of the reasons she took on this role, especially if A&E pitched the role as “Snow White with a sword”. Little would she know how the character would actually turn out by the end of the run...

• Love 10
On 2/24/2018 at 4:48 AM, Rumsy4 said:

From early interviews, I remember Bobby was as happy to end up with a steady gig as was Colin. The acting business can be so unpredictable. 

As for Ginny, she’s a huge Disneyphile. That could be one of the reasons she took on this role, especially if A&E pitched the role as “Snow White with a sword”. Little would she know how the character would actually turn out by the end of the run...

Ginny was on a late night talk show promoting something else right before Once got picked up that first season.  I'll never forget how excited she was talking about how she did this pilot and she was lighting candles and praying it got picked up.  She was sooo excited those first few years.  I quit watching around season 4, but it seems like as the seasons wore on, she lost whatever enthusiasm she once had.  She hardly ever gave interviews after awhile, when in those first few years she was all over the place.  I partly blame the writing for completely backburnering Snow.

Also does anyone else remember Josh and Jamie Dornan tweeting each other silly and sarcastic stuff very early on.  They'd go back and forth and it was really fun.

Ahh, memories.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, ihavenoidea said:

She hardly ever gave interviews after awhile, when in those first few years she was all over the place.

It's not like she would have anything to say in an interview about the show - she had lots of stuff to do in the first 3 seasons (although I would say Snow White died after 2a) with fighting and her romance with Charming which was still a big part of the show then but then after that she would stand in the background, be forced to say the worst lines ever, her character would only ever say ass-kissing things or stupid things and when the character got to go to places like Camelot or the Underworld, she would end up doing absolutely nothing. I get that she had pregnancies in 3b and 5b but the way they used her time in those was ridiculous. She was back to full time in 4b and season 6 and look at the stories they gave her - egg baby kidnapping and sleeping!

• Love 3

It started out as a dream gig for Ginny especially, as she got to act out one of her dreams. I do wonder what happened that made her less enthused. We all have theories, but there is a drastic cutting off point where she seemed to be going through the motions. Even if you watch her interviews during Comic-Con, her enthusiasm and whatnot for the show seemed to wane. I know she struggled with the whole social media issues during that time, got married, and had two children. But she is normally much more upbeat and enthusiastic about things. Her exit interview with EW sort of shows that she sort of dialed out after 3A. http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/14/once-upon-time-ginnifer-goodwin-exit-interview/ All of the stories she mentions being proud of and remembering are from before 3B. I do wonder about her statement that she was hard on herself about balancing acting and motherhood. That had to be a challenge for her as a first time mom and coming back so soon after having their first son. That had to suck from the odd hours of work to the wardrobe that was clearly changed to accommodate her post-baby body. I remember people were so cruel about it. Since I was so nuts when I had my first baby, I can only imagine if my life and livelihood was like hers. 

Yeah.  Maybe it was having kids that made her lose interest, but to me it seemed to fade even before that.  I mention Ginny mostly because in the beginning she seemed like the most fangirly about the show out of all the cast.  She was on twitter during almost every episode.  Giving interviews, smiling, she just seemed to love it.  Then she just kinda....disappeared.  Jen, seemed to have the same attitude throughout, kinda just chill.  Lana started out more low profile, then got into the twitter and then started engaging fans more, later on.  Lana had been on a lot of shows prior to that point that only lasted one season, she was probably cautious at first.  Then once the show was a hit it's like she embraced it and pimped it all the way to the end.  

Poor Ginny. It was a complete bait and switch. Pretty sure A&E didn’t pitch the role as “Snow White becomes the Evil Queen’s doormat”. So many shows write around pregnancies. A&E just shelved her after her first pregnancy and just gave her boring lines. I guess she must have been ecstatic when she landed Zootopia. In PR and interviews for that movie, she sounded really enthusiastic. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 9

I still contend that Snow’s diminished role was partially due to Ginny asking for less screen time. Her role was cut back quite a bit after she had her baby. It’s not easy balancing being a new mom with work so I’m sure that contributed to people thinking she was disinterested when really she just would rather be home with her son than doing media interviews or work on a Snow-centric storyline. So I can’t totally fault A&E for her lack of scenes when they were accommodating her schedule  

Of course, A&E also botched that by writing her first pregnancy into the show and the costume department started dressing her frumpy. I’m a mom with two kids. I know it’s possible to dress a mom without making it look like you threw a clothes sack on her — and I don’t even have the luxury of having a costume department to dress me. 

36 minutes ago, sharky said:

I still contend that Snow’s diminished role was partially due to Ginny asking for less screen time. Her role was cut back quite a bit after she had her baby. It’s not easy balancing being a new mom with work so I’m sure that contributed to people thinking she was disinterested when really she just would rather be home with her son than doing media interviews or work on a Snow-centric storyline. So I can’t totally fault A&E for her lack of scenes when they were accommodating her schedule  

But even so, the scenes she did get were poorly written. A&E didn't utilize her time at all.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

But even so, the scenes she did get were poorly written. A&E didn't utilize her time at all.

Exactly. Besides, she's not the only character reduced to background scenery over the course of the series. 

I do think by the time Ginny and Josh decided to have another child it was likely because they realized it was the best time. It wasn't like they were indispensable to any storyline. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I’m just saying that not all of the fault is on A&E. They were working with an actress’ request for less screen time. But they could’ve done something interesting with the limited time and they didn’t. Same with JMo coming back for one episode. A&E were kind enough to work around the requests so i do think it was a hindrance to their storytelling. But their lack of good storytelling has been an issue on the best of days with actors who haven’t made similar requests. 

• Love 1

I mean,  yes,  it's certainly possible that Ginny asked for fewer hours.   But in the same vein, they had a nursery set up on set for the kid.  Josh and Ginny work at the same place everyday.  It wouldn't have been hard to give Snow a substantial storyline. 

I also don't recall why Ginny fled from Twitter,  wasn't she getting a bunch of hate?  I feel so bad for her,  she signs on to play a badass version of her fave Disney princess and ends with season 6 Snow.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

Some people were even making fake accounts for Josh and Ginny, claiming to be them and stirring up trouble. 

I remember Josh leaving twitter because he had a stalker who would make numerous accounts and kept sending him messages from all the different accounts telling him how he was a horrible person, husband and father because he was kissing other women at work (it might have been during the Cruella DeVille - James flirtation).  It was pretty creepy and unhinged.  This show has attracted some interesting fans.   The fan would send any picture of him posing with a female fan or co-star and ask how he could do this to his wife.

I think Ginny might have also gotten some that were critical of her looks as well, but was not as familiar with all the various social media at the time, so did not see this first hand.  She left pretty early on.

People thing they can do whatever they want with the anonymity of the internet.  Not to be melodramatic, but I do think it has led to a lot less civility in general.

• Love 4

Didn't Ginny get a lot of hate and accusations of being homophobic when she reacted very negatively to the idea of SwanQueen? It was on the basis of the fact that Regina was Emma's step-grandmother and because Regina tried to kill her, tried to kill her mother, and was responsible for most of the misery in Emma's life, but some of the more "interesting" fans went nuts over that and claimed she was homophobic for not wanting a lesbian relationship on the show, plus how dare she say something negative about Regina. In fact, as I recall it was an offhand "ew, no" reaction in an interview, which then led to all the homophobia accusations, which she then tried to clarify by explaining that it wasn't because it would be a lesbian relationship that she objected, but because of the family relationship and Regina's history, but saying something negative about Regina ended up just throwing gasoline on the fire and it got out of control.

• Love 8
(edited)

Last night's ratings:

"Once" had 2.55 million viewers for the first half (once again, people came back to take a quick look), which dropped to 1.85 million in the second half.  Demo went from 0.5 in first hour to 0.4 in second hour.  It was 4th in its timeslot.  The only thing lower was the CW with a repeat episode of "iZombie".  "Agents of Shield" opened with 1.97 million and a 0.5.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
On 2/20/2018 at 4:43 PM, KingOfHearts said:

It's the textbook example of how not to run a primetime drama series.

We may not like it, but how many primetime dramas run for 7 seasons?  For all their faults, and they are numerous) A&E did something pretty rare.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, jhlipton said:

We may not like it, but how many primetime dramas run for 7 seasons?  For all their faults, and they are numerous) A&E did something pretty rare.

I attribute some of that success to not having much competition. It didn't get canceled sooner because the network simply didn't have enough decent shows going.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

The Once Facebook page asked what people thought of the "emotional" moment of Victoria's sacrifice. Most of the responses were along the lines of:

LOL at the posts ABC made on that Facebook page.  "Who else was floored by that twist? (broken heart emoticon)  "Our jaws are still on the floor from last night!"  

And look at the two top comments for another post.

You can blame switching the show to Fridays, but the real show killer wasn't the cast members leaving, it was a bunch of whining people who just wanted their way and couldn't accept something new and better. This season has been THE best written season yet. And I hate that this show is now over.

NOW everyone is whiny that the show is ending when it is Bc of a bunch of whiny fans who aren’t open to change that the show was cancelled! Seriously no one complaining now! Congratulations haters you got you wish... you wished the show would end and it did but all magic comes with a price- shame it had to be the show ending and the majority of fans having to pay it 

Adam, Eddy, is that you?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I attribute some of that success to not having much competition. It didn't get canceled sooner because the network simply didn't have enough decent shows going.

That may be so, but this show still out-performed all the others.  The other shows weren't "decent" just because they didn't get ratings, and Once did (or at least enough).  Still Star-Crossed was tons better and it sank like a stone.  So what made OUAT more "decent" than the shows that it competed against?

Just for fun, I did a little time-travel to the 2015-2016 season to see what OUAT was up against for hour dramas:

Wicked City, Galavant, Blood & Oil, Of Kings And Prophets, Agent Carter, and American Crime

Only American Crime lasted more than 2 seasons.  So why was OUAT more popular than Galavant?  Galavant should have blown the socks off OUAT but barely got a second season. 

A&E did something the other showrunners didn't.  I don't know what it is, but as the saying goes "You can't argue with success".