Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, PixiePaws1 said:

The drama that Lana's utterly classless agent stirred up last week with all the subtle(not!) JMo bashing certainly hasn't helped matters.

I'm not a Lana fan (I find her massively overrated by her fans).  I watched the life feed on FB* just now and I didn't think the agent was bashing JMo.  She did mention Jen cancelled her bookings last year because she had to do a play, but she seemed to defend Jen's decision, as the play was work and therefore a priority over doing the con. She commented she thought Jen wanted to move on with her career and again, was very understanding, saying said she had every right to do so. She also said JMo wasn't doing the Creation con because she was busy with other stuff. And yes she was a bit sceptical Jen not being asked was the reason she wasn't going. I imagine the agent only brought up Morrison because people were asking about her and was explaining about why actors weren't always at cons or asked for cons.

*link:https://www.facebook.com/JulieCaitlinBrown/videos/1828894113852693/?hc_ref=ARTDWHffVcT5FrFoz4mXETYCHlP_i2PPfdgf_qzOODJfEcnUc-tfIbkv5Dvrs5B3xFM&pnref=story

Edited by Lies

I just hope she's capable of fitting a dress to a woman's bustline. Whoever was doing it before completely failed for everything Cinderella wore. It would look lovely on a mannequin, but was a terrible fit on the actress, and not in a flattering magnify the cleavage way.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

She did the Costume Design for Dead of Summer. That's... interesting. But not really.

This is something I should not be admitting, but I will never have to face any of you face to face ...

I watched a lot of Dead of Summer, the costuming did not really capture the 1980's look that accurately or was that memorable.  Although I don't think they really have much of costuming budget left anyway.  A lot of 7A seemed to be stuff reused or recycled from earlier seasons.  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Camera One said:

We have spent months talking about Jacinda... we literally can't sink any lower, LOL.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen... . At least none of us are alone in our shame.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

She did the Costume Design for Dead of Summer. That's... interesting. But not really.

Sounds like someone read the writing on the wall and bailed out for pilot season and A&E pulled in someone they know to finish up the series.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Camera One said:

Don't worry, a bunch of us watched "Dead of Summer".  We have spent months talking about Jacinda... we literally can't sink any lower, LOL.

Oh I'm not sure about that, 7b doesn't seem to have anything substantial going for it at all, there's possibly even more room to sink even lower.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Sounds like someone read the writing on the wall and bailed out for pilot season and A&E pulled in someone they know to finish up the series.

But to do what? The aesthetic of the show has been pretty much set. Do you even need a costume designer when the costumes are self explanatory at this point? How many more fairy tale dresses do you need when you have six seasons to pull from? I guess I’ve just been underwhelmed by the costumes — and everything else — this season. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, sharky said:

But to do what? The aesthetic of the show has been pretty much set. Do you even need a costume designer when the costumes are self explanatory at this point? How many more fairy tale dresses do you need when you have six seasons to pull from? I guess I’ve just been underwhelmed by the costumes — and everything else — this season. 

What, you’re not excited by Regina’s EF bondage outfits or WHook’s iconic jeans-and-t-shirt? That’s odd. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Thank you for the birthday present, ABC! ?

Um, Eddy, I think that is exactly what fans opted for. Tosspot. 

Some fans would’ve liked the series to end with the original cast. Do you have any regrets about this rebooted season?
KITSIS: That’s a weird question in the sense that if fans wanted that, they had the option of that: They didn’t have to watch this season.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, Souris said:

Thanh she for the birthday present, ABC! ?

I mean, they clearly dropped the show, that's been very evident.

• Love 7

As soon as I started reading that interview, my first thought was "Bitter, party of two!"

Adam and Eddie can spin it however they want, but it's clear to me that this was NOT a mutual decision.  I'd have paid money to hear the conversation in which the word came down from ABC that the show was done.

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, Souris said:

Some fans would’ve liked the series to end with the original cast. Do you have any regrets about this rebooted season?
KITSIS: That’s a weird question in the sense that if fans wanted that, they had the option of that: They didn’t have to watch this season.

You beat me to it. I was going to post that this is the reason they got canceled, that too many fans took the option of not watching this season.

I guess I don't have to worry about finding a better antenna that will get ABC for next season, unless there's something on their schedule that really excites me. But I will miss the discussion here. I hope we can keep them going somehow, like with a comprehensive rewatch, or something.

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing where some of the cast members go from here.

• Love 12

But based on the ratings how could they not know that this was coming down? They’ve had months to adjust to their bitterness. But again, I guess this is the fans not understanding them and their vision. Blerg. Really makes me wonder what this show could’ve been with better show runners. 

• Love 14

Of course it wasn't a mutual decision. Adam and Eddie wanted an eighth season; nobody else did. The reboot got moved to Fridays because ABC knew it wasn't going to garner good ratings, but I don't think they even predicted how far the ratings would drop. 

The more they repeat in that interview "It wasn't a shock!", the more I feel like it was. Sure, the network probably did sit down with A&E for months to come to the decision of ending the show, but A&E likely had their fingers in their ears. 

• Love 13

Not surprised- I only watched the Emma & Hook parts of the 2nd episode this season and that was it. So yes I didn't watch this season Eddy, by choice. 

Sometimes you just need to know when to end things- and last year should of been it. 

12 minutes ago, sharky said:

But based on the ratings how could they not know that this was coming down? They’ve had months to adjust to their bitterness. But again, I guess this is the fans not understanding them and their vision. Blerg. Really makes me wonder what this show could’ve been with better show runners. 

I always wondered that too, I really enjoyed the first few seasons- and then I felt there was a lot of fumbling and unnecessary plotlines. I'm someone that doesn't complain much about Television shows- and just watch to watch- and I continued to watch because I loved the Fairy Tale aspect of it. But they had so many juicy storylines they could of explored with family dynamics etc. and they just fumbled repeatedly. 

Oh well. I'm not going to hold my breath on Emma or Snowing returning. 

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Now I'm really looking forward to seeing where some of the cast members go from here.

Ugh! If they were going to cancel anyway, why did it have to happen after Colin lost a chance to be a Doctor Who companion? Like everything else that A&E touches, this was an amazing dream of mine that turned to shit. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, sharky said:

Ugh! If they were going to cancel anyway, why did it have to happen after Colin lost a chance to be a Doctor Who companion?

I started thinking where he might fit into the Star Wars universe when I was watching the closing credits of The Last Jedi and saw all those Irish names. I guess there's no reason to be shooting so much in Ireland for the next movie, but Rian Johnson has his own new trilogy, and there are the one-offs, and now the idiots from Game of Thrones are getting Star Wars movies (I wonder how they'll cope if they're not allowed to show lots of bare breasts), so there are lots of future opportunities, and their studio work is done in England, which is closer to Ireland than Vancouver is. Plus, it's Disney-owned, so it would still be in the family.

• Love 6

OMG....they rave about being proud of putting a sword in Snow's hand.....totally forgot they took her from badass to Regina's wimpy dish rag.....

Sooo..familiar faces in the finale as they just promised...the SB clock face? The SB sign and orange line as Henry drives over it? One of Granny's outdoor tables?

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I was going to post that this is the reason they got canceled, that too many fans took the option of not watching this season.

Eddy didn't want to hear any complaints about this season. He and Adam likely blame the cancellation over fans being bitter about JMo leaving. They probably bitterly regret not making Regina the heroine from day one Season 1. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 11

KITSIS: That’s a weird question in the sense that if fans wanted that, they had the option of that: They didn’t have to watch this season

We didn't. That's why it got cancelled. :)

Damn it souris beat me to it. Good job. :)

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, PixiePaws1 said:

OMG....they rave about being proud of putting a sword in Snow's hand.....totally forgot they took her from badass to Regina's wimpy dish rag.....

I would argue that putting a sword in Snow's hand wasn't that incredibly innovative. Yes, it was something we hadn't seen before, but was it to anyone's benefit after S1? If you don't flesh something like that out and maintain some sort of consistency, it's pointless. That mere action alone is not enough to excuse five seasons of character assassination. 

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I started thinking where he might fit into the Star Wars universe when I was watching the closing credits of The Last Jedi and saw all those Irish names. I guess there's no reason to be shooting so much in Ireland for the next movie, but Rian Johnson has his own new trilogy, and there are the one-offs, and now the idiots from Game of Thrones are getting Star Wars movies (I wonder how they'll cope if they're not allowed to show lots of bare breasts), so there are lots of future opportunities, and their studio work is done in England, which is closer to Ireland than Vancouver is. Plus, it's Disney-owned, so it would still be in the family.

Ohhhhhh.... Colin and Ewan McGregor in an Obi Wan movie.....

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sharky said:

But based on the ratings how could they not know that this was coming down?

Based on even last year's ratings, I would think they had to know that time was running out and there was a good season this was the last year.  Also with Disney eventually leaving Netflix, that gravy train is ending relatively soon.

Part of me says it it too bad they could not have plotted a final season with the original cast knowing it would be the end.  Then I remember, they did know for a significant portion of last year that it was the end for a significant portion of the cast, and it not like they plotted a compelling final arc for them.

Part of me would not mind seeing some of the originals return for the finale, but I don't really want to see them in glorified cameos while the focus is on one of the new couples getting their happy ending (esp since some of these couples we won't meet until close to the end).  Or worse, have their guest appearance truly be a cameo where there is just a quick shot of them around a table eating dinner with the reboot cast and their only dialogue being something positive about Regina.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, CCTC said:

Then I remember, they did know for a significant portion of last year that it was the end for a significant portion of the cast, and it not like they plotted a compelling final arc for them.

They focussed the first half of Season 6 almost exclusively on Regina, and used the back half of Season 6 to promote Season 7. Do they feel it was all worth it?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, CCTC said:

Part of me would not mind seeing some of the originals return for the finale, but I don't really want to see them in glorified cameos while the focus is on one of the new couples getting their happy ending (esp since some of these couples we won't meet until close to the end).  Or worse, have their guest appearance truly be a cameo where there is just a quick shot of them around a table eating dinner with the reboot cast and their only dialogue being something positive about Regina.

It's hard to imagine what they can do for a big finale type event. Henry and Ella already got married offscreen. It's hard to imagine treating a half-season relationship as worthy of a series finale. What do you bet that the grand finale is Regina finally getting her happy ending with a big wedding? Any original cast cameos would be among the wedding guests. Snow would be smiling from the front row. We'd maybe see Hook Prime from the back, with a blond head next to him, or only zoom in, with a shoulder visible beside him to imply Emma's presence (since I don't see Jen coming back for that kind of moment).

• Love 2

I can't say it's surprising, but I'm still sad because I will miss coming here every day and having something new to make fun of every week (or daily, if Adam tweets).  No show in the last 10 years have given me that until this show.  It gives and gives, just not in the way A&E thinks.

I hope they tell us what their Season 8 plan was.  Because I'm sure it would have been a laugh and a half.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Sooo..familiar faces in the finale as they just promised...the SB clock face? The SB sign and orange line as Henry drives over it? One of Granny's outdoor tables?

The dwarves I'm sure.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I hope they tell us what their Season 8 plan was.  Because I'm sure it would have been a laugh and a half.

I'm already laughing at their "we had two paths for the finale" remark. I'd be surprised if they really had even one path. 

Eddy seems offended that people decided to not watch, at the same time not caring how many viewers they shed in executing their genius plan for Season 7. I guess they didn't expect that so many people would stop watching or be nostalgic for the long-term charatcers that left.

• Love 6

You know, I have such mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, this show needed to be done. Its been running on fumes for a long time, and I want the talented cast to get to move onto new, better, projects that I can enjoy. This show, especially this season, has been a sad shell of its former self, that I found very little joy in watching, and was almost depressed seeing how much a show I once loved and cared about, has so disappointed me. Really, it could only go down from here, so I am fine with being released from this madness, on some level. And I will not miss reading A&Es ridiculous interviews filled with nonsense, bitterness, anger towards fans, victim blaming, and jerking off to their own brilliance and St. Regina Our Lady of Perpetual Woobiedom. 

On the other hand, I've been with Once for years, ever since the pilot episode in the TWOP years. This show has been with me through college, grad school, two new jobs, and moving across the country. I've come back to Once throughout the good times, the bad, and the confusing. Its (and its community) have been a part of my life for years, and now that its over...I cant help but be sad. It might sound cheesy, but a part of my life really is ending. No more Captain Swan scenes, no more bitching about continuity, no more coming up with new possible franchises to get dragged into this story, no more angry or excited Tweets or Tumblr posts, and worst of all, no one Once community here. This is one of my favorite communities here, back in the TWOP era, and here after the Great Migration to PTV. I will miss all of you, and your encouragement, sharing my theories and frustrations, and our MANY running jokes and references that have gone on for years. I've never met any of you in person, but I feel like I am being separated from my friends. Friends who can understand my constant commitment to this silly show, for better and for worse. The discussions here have been grand, even when the show hasn't been.

So, I am ready for this show to end, but I guess I am just not totally ready to say goodbye. God help me. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 19

I can't really blame A&E for not wanting to lose their jobs, and trying to stretch their paychecks as long as they could. However, they should have known that they couldn't coast on nostalgia alone. They may not care about the timelines and plot holes, but most people do. 

I get the impression that they miscalculated the fanbase of OUAT. That's what happens when you look at Twitter to get the pulse of the viewership. I bet they assumed they could sustain a decent viewership with just the Regina, Rumple, and Hook fans. They never understood what the true appeal of the Show was. Just having Robert Carlyle on the show is not enough if you give him garbage to work with. And most of Hook fans were also CS and Emma fans. And most of the Evil Regals and SQers on twitter didn't even watch the Show live in the US.

It may have been smarter if they ended the Show with Season 6, and negotiated a deal with abc for another Show like Dead of Summer. Now, it's going to be harder for them to land another Show with abc, IMO, becasue they botched this reboot. Maybe they'll land a deal with hulu or amazon. 

13 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

and worst of all, no one Once community here.

That's what I'm going to miss the most. The tumblr fandom continues, but this forum will always hold a special place in my heart. I just hope this forum won't fade away quickly, even though many have already moved on...

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 13
51 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

I guess they didn't expect that so many people would stop watching or be nostalgic for the long-term charatcers that left.

I think they thought Regina and Rumple would be all that really mattered to get people to keep watching.  They are the only ones they seemed to want to write for the most, and I think they assumed other people felt the same way - Regina and Gold could carry a reboot.  If they looked at it objectively, they would have seen, even though they were favorites of theirs, two of the characters they decided to keep had really run their course (esp. Gold -- although Regina was largely driven by her be challenged by Snow (initially) and Emma and once they were gone, she never really seemed to have a point besides spouting heroic platitudes and showing off her arms).  They  also seemed to really ignore that a lot of people were most interested in the Charming/Swan family dynamics (including Hook), and  removing that from the show removed a lot of the heart (as much as that dynamic was neglected,)

It did not help that the new characters largely fell flat, and the writing for Regina and Gold's new identities  has been pretty lackluster.   

• Love 12

But it wasn’t just the people. Storybrooke was its own character. Imagine if they had this season in a different version of Storybrooke. The town felt like a magical fairy tale. So you drop them in a generic town with generic characters and it felt generic. Imagine how much different the new characters would feel in Storybrooke 2.0. There was zero fairy tale feel this year.

I definitely will miss the fandom and plan on staying on tumblr. And I feel even more of a push to finally get that book published that I kept saying I would get out there after renewing my love for writing fanfic and original fic. 

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, CCTC said:

I think they thought Regina and Rumple would be all that really mattered to get people to keep watching.  They are the only ones they seemed to want to write for the most, and I think they assumed other people felt the same way - Regina and Gold could carry a reboot. 

Totally! 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

I get the impression that they miscalculated the fanbase of OUAT. That's what happens when you look at Twitter to get the pulse of the viewership.

Good point - the fans that make the most noise are not always the most representative of what the general audience wants.  I think that is true for a lot of shows, but this show perhaps even more so.

• Love 9

I feel a little sad but I also feel like I already mourned the show last year when JMo announced she wasn't continuing. I knew I wasn't going to keep watching and I only watched 7x02 so for me I grieved then and got my sadness and anger out. The show ended with Emma and Hook expecting a baby and they went through a portal to live happily ever after along with the happy Charmings and everyone else in that town that I care about. I haven't watched it since so this announcement is just the icing on the cake that's already been baked.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, CCTC said:

I think they thought Regina and Rumple would be all that really mattered to get people to keep watching.  They are the only ones they seemed to want to write for the most, and I think they assumed other people felt the same way - Regina and Gold could carry a reboot.  If they looked at it objectively, they would have seen, even though they were favorites of theirs, two of the characters they decided to keep had really run their course (esp. Gold -- although Regina was largely driven by her be challenged by Snow (initially) and Emma and once they were gone, she never really seemed to have a point besides spouting heroic platitudes and showing off her arms).  They  also seemed to really ignore that a lot of people were most interested in the Charming/Swan family dynamics (including Hook), and  removing that from the show removed a lot of the heart (as much as that dynamic was neglected,)

It did not help that the new characters largely fell flat, and the writing for Regina and Gold's new identities  has been pretty lackluster.   

I agree. They thought they could finally write all about their favorites and not have to waste seconds on Snow, Charming and Emma. They somehow missed the ratings going down in season six when we got a double dose of Regina.  They won't realize focusing on Regina and Rumple was what sunk the show and drove viewers away. Had they started the show with their original vision with Regina not Snow, it never would have lasted this long. It probably wouldn't have last a season. I am happy at the cancelation. I don't feel sorry for A&E for the cast yes but not them. This was a show that easily could have gone on for years. They had plenty of time to redirect the show, to fix it and they chose not to. They chose to waste all the potential and a talent cast.    

34 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

Mostly I’m sad about what could have been. Such wasted potential with both the concept and the cast. 

And I’ll miss this community a lot. When this show was worth speculating about, there was no better place to do it. 

Me too. There was so much they could have done with the show. So many different ways it could have gone. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Belle probably.

Makes me think that recent tweet about JMo not coming back for another episode wasn't just a rehash of  the parting of ways in S6 or early S7.  I think they probably called her after the cancellation news and she remained adamant about not returning much to their chagrin.

The way they have repeatedly signed and benched actors, only for the actors to still be willing to guest star, likely means that they can't conceive that leaving the show actually meant there was no willingness to do a guest spot when the time came.

• Love 2

After season 3 I’ve spent a lot of time bemoaning the lost potential of this show. The last time I had high hopes for the future of the show was after the season 3 finale, Little did I know that would forever be the high point of the entire series for me.

• Love 8