Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm so sad to hear about Jennifer's departure :( . Emma was one of my favourites along with Regina and -le gasp- Henry! 

Im not at all fond of the idea of a reboot so IMO they should just make the next episode the series finale.

Edited by Wayward Son
(edited)

Someone is now reporting that on the TVLine Facebook stream Matt Mitovich confirmed that Jen, Ginny, Josh, Emilie, and Jared are all leaving at the end of this season. I don't know if that confirms the others are staying, but those five are out...

Edited by Kktjones

I had hoped Jennifer Morrison would be available for more than one episode if they were to renew (maybe a couple throughout a final, seventh season) based on her statement that she is committed to the character--just not for a long future (e.g. more than one more season). Still, I'm not angry at her at all. I can understand her personal considerations since it sounds pretty awful having to fly back and forth, and be away for her family/friends for extended periods. 

I liked her as an actress on House and she did a great job on OUAT. Emma was one of my favorite characters from this show. I hope Morrison will land on another hit show in future. (And I hope the same for all this show's actors whenever the show ends; even Emilie, who--even though I thought she was pretty bad as a Belle--is clearly good when the material is better going by LOST.)

• Love 1

I think JMo needed to make the announcement today. ABC in the past has announced renewals around a week before upfronts. Upfronts are next week so this will be something that would likely be mentioned as part of the renewal news. So I'm not surprised. This sounds like it's been in the works for awhile so they've had plenty of time to coordinate the announcements and responses. Adam and Eddy didn't write their response this morning when JMo posted this. It was already prepared to go.

And as for Matt's reporting, he was on set a few weeks ago for the wedding episode. I'm sure he was filled on this then and had something prepared as well.

(edited)
4 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I'm beginning to realize I'll be the only person still watching in S7. lol.

I feel sorry for Hook. If he does manage to stay a part of the show, then either he'll have to tragically lose Emma again or there will be some ridiculous reason he's there but she isn't. I'm more concerned about losing him than her because I've grown to like him over the past season. At the same time, I know without Emma he has no reason to exist. That's just his A&E designed his character, unfortunately.

No,  I'll watch if it comes back.  Can we just get a show with the Jones brothers on the high seas?

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Kktjones said:

Someone is now reporting that on the TVLine Facebook stream Matt Mitovich confirmed that Jen, Ginny, Josh, Emilie, and Jared are all leaving at the end of this season. I don't know if that confirms the others are staying, but those five are out...

Emile too? Now I really feel done.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Emile too? Now I really feel done.

Really? He has been even more absent than the Charmings this season.

Speaking of, I'm starting to think that's where some of the stupidity came from this season. Emilie gone? No more Charmings? Then let's put them under a sleeping curse and make them more useless than usual.

39 minutes ago, OnceUponAJen said:

No,  I'll watch if it comes back.  Can we just get a show with the Jones brothers on the high seas?

Do not put this into the world to disappoint me because I would watch the hell out of that show. Ugh. The Jones brothers against the Evil Queen? Make this real!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, sharky said:

Really? He has been even more absent than the Charmings this season.

Speaking of, I'm starting to think that's where some of the stupidity came from this season. Emilie gone? No more Charmings? Then let's put them under a sleeping curse and make them more useless than usual.

Do not put this into the world to disappoint me because I would watch the hell out of that show. Ugh. The Jones brothers against the Evil Queen? Make this real!

There is far more we don't know about Hook's past than any other remaining character.  I'd watch it!

(edited)
3 minutes ago, OnceUponAJen said:

There is far more we don't know about Hook's past than any other remaining character.  I'd watch it!

Oh me too! Jones boys, his relationship with Milan, etc. I just worry about the ret conning that would have to take place. If you do a wish verse, you can throw out canon (as if AE ever paid attention to that anyway) and start over with a clean slate. 

Edited by sharky
Need to add "ret con" to my auto correct. I don't mean rent con!
  • Love 1

Not gonna lie...I'm devastated.  Not 100% surprised, though.  But very, very sad.

Am I hoping Jen will cave and do more than one episode as a guest star?  Yes, even if it's not likely.

I will watch S7 as long as Hook's still there.  Although I really have no idea how they're going to have him around, and not her.  They're true love, so they really can't get divorced.  So either they kill her off, and Hook goes back to being vengeful...or they just keep referring to Emma as being home with the kids, which is kinda unlike her...

Sigh.

• Love 3

You never know, Sean Maguire seemed pretty upset after his character's initial departure in Season 5 and said he wouldn't return, and then he got a mini-arc in Season 6. If A&E actually came up with a decent story line to entice Jennifer back, I could see her doing something similar. Obviously, I don't see her signing on for like 10 episodes, but maybe 2-5 near the end isn't out of the realm of possibility. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, hockeycat400 said:

Am I hoping Jen will cave and do more than one episode as a guest star?  Yes, even if it's not likely.

After reading that interviews? Not likely at all. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, hockeycat400 said:

Not gonna lie...I'm devastated.  Not 100% surprised, though.  But very, very sad.

I will watch S7 as long as Hook's still there.  Although I really have no idea how they're going to have him around, and not her.  They're true love, so they really can't get divorced.  So either they kill her off, and Hook goes back to being vengeful...or they just keep referring to Emma as being home with the kids, which is kinda unlike her...

Sigh.

I think I trust Jennifer enough that if she knew S7 meant bad things for CS (like more separation), then she would not even agree to doing one episode. I don't think she'd do that to her fans.

16 minutes ago, Curio said:

You never know, Sean Maguire seemed pretty upset after his character's initial departure in Season 5 and said he wouldn't return, and then he got a mini-arc in Season 6. If A&E actually came up with a decent story line to entice Jennifer back, I could see her doing something similar. Obviously, I don't see her signing on for like 10 episodes, but maybe 2-5 near the end isn't out of the realm of possibility. 

This is true. She doesn't want to over commit and jeopardize another job offer, but if the story's good and she's free, why not?

Welp, I've spent a lot of my day processing this news.

I watched the TVLine Facebook live bit which seems to be in conflict a tiny bit with Jen's interview although he did say he was interviewing her later today.  Essentially though, the reporter, Matt, said that season 7 was still meant to be built around Emma.  She was still the lead character/protagonist.  So Jenn saying that she only knew broad strokes of what was ahead...I mean if a reporter knew she was supposed to be the lead, surely she did, she's just chosen not to stay.  It also looks like she knew the show would be renewed and chose not to stay.  I think its unfortunate timing.  As the TVline group said, it's been a rollercoaster of a day for Once Captain Swan fans who had a great high last night only to have the bottom fall out this morning.   

It sounds like she really would only be in for the one episode.

Multiple actors have said that A&E pitched the show to them as six seasons. Then they and ABC decide they want more. I don't blame Jen or Gosh one single bit for not signing back up after they changed the "rules" on her.

2 minutes ago, Souris said:

Multiple actors have said that A&E pitched the show to them as six seasons. Then they and ABC decide they want more. I don't blame Jen or Gosh one single bit for not signing back up after they changed the "rules" on her.

I think what's startling is that we've known Josh and Ginny were going to leave (but maybe guest star) for almost 2 months.  Now we find out the morning after the wedding that Jen's out and at the most might come back for 1 episode.  It's like the bottom falls out on the one bit of happiness they've shown this season.  I think if we'd had more time to know she was leaving it wouldn't have been so abrupt and we could've enjoyed the wedding longer knowing it was their happy ending (vs beginning like they sang).

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Souris said:

I don't blame Jen or Gosh one single bit for not signing back up after they changed the "rules" on her.

I also don't blame them for wanting to get out of a show that they can clearly see they're being written out of. Josh and Ginny's roles have been massively reduced since Seasons 1 and 2, and Jennifer had to sit back and watch another actress take up the majority of the screen time for the past year on a show where she's supposed to be the lead character/the heart. I'm sure the cast is all very close and supportive of each other and aren't jealous of each others' successes, but on some level, it has to sting knowing you were supposed to be carrying the show but the creators wanted to spend their final year on characters other than your own.

Part of me wishes I could travel back in time and tell past me to stop watching the show after the Season 3 finale. I don't know if three more years of iffy writing and little payoff was worth it for a 5-minute wedding. 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, Curio said:

Part of me wishes I could travel back in time and tell past me to stop watching the show after the Season 3 finale. I don't know if three more years of iffy writing and little payoff was worth it for a 5-minute wedding. 

It so wasn't close to satisfying to me. I really wish I had stopped with Season 5.

• Love 4

The only positive to come out of all of this is that if I ever get around to writing my own novel/screenplay/graphic novel based on the events I wanted to see happen on this show, I can get away with it because the writers never bothered to get around to showing those kinds of scenes on screen.

• Love 5
(edited)

Why do you think I wrote fanfic? Also hoping to get my own manuscript self-pubbed this month. So at least Once gave me that. 

Edited by sharky
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

I think what's startling is that we've known Josh and Ginny were going to leave (but maybe guest star) for almost 2 months.  Now we find out the morning after the wedding that Jen's out and at the most might come back for 1 episode.  It's like the bottom falls out on the one bit of happiness they've shown this season.  I think if we'd had more time to know she was leaving it wouldn't have been so abrupt and we could've enjoyed the wedding longer knowing it was their happy ending (vs beginning like they sang).

Can you post what was said about Emile? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Souris said:

I wonder if they wanted her to re-sign for multiple seasons and she only wanted a few episodes or a partial season. 

8 hours ago, Curio said:

If Hook is still around, I'll begrudgingly be there with you in Season 7, @KingOfHearts. We can be the Statler and Waldorf of these boards. 

I have no dog in this fight I just wanted to respond to this part of the post. 

Nice. 

• Love 2

I had a strong feeling JMo was out when she got a haircut. It was like she was literally shedding Emma Swan and lots of actresses change their looks when a project is done. Season 6 has been so awful that this news isn't too upsetting. I didn't even go crazy over the CS wedding. I guess this whole year has been a slow process of emotionally untangling myself from a show I truly used to enjoy. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I've actually been reasonably sure Jen was leaving since last autumn. There were SO many vibes pointing that way for me, it seemed inevitable. Also, having lived through the last season of The X-Files without David Duchovny, that made me realize how pretty much anything is possible if a network wants to continue a show.

Edited by Souris
Tenses are important
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I watched the TVLine Facebook live bit which seems to be in conflict a tiny bit with Jen's interview although he did say he was interviewing her later today.  Essentially though, the reporter, Matt, said that season 7 was still meant to be built around Emma.  She was still the lead character/protagonist.  So Jenn saying that she only knew broad strokes of what was ahead...I mean if a reporter knew she was supposed to be the lead, surely she did, she's just chosen not to stay. 

And how  many times did they promise storylines that didn't happen?  It wouldn't  matter what they said--look at the difference between what was promised and delivered over the last several seasons.

I don't know how Morrison feels, but I certainly wouldn't believe them;  the only character they'd center an entire season around is definitely not Emma.

Edited by Mari
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Curio said:

Part of me wishes I could travel back in time and tell past me to stop watching the show after the Season 3 finale.

You know, there really isn't much we'd have missed, is there? Especially in the relationship. There were just a lot of missed opportunities that they didn't take. All the stuff we wanted to see either didn't happen or happened offscreen. The big stuff that had an emotional impact in the moment was forgotten. So I guess I'm on board with casting a time travel spell. My new next-door neighbor is pregnant, so I'll soon have the baby. I just need a heart, some courage, and a brain to use.

1 hour ago, Curio said:

The only positive to come out of all of this is that if I ever get around to writing my own novel/screenplay/graphic novel based on the events I wanted to see happen on this show, I can get away with it because the writers never bothered to get around to showing those kinds of scenes on screen.

That's how I'll be spending my summer. My mental fanfic is so far from what was onscreen that most people won't recognize it, and I had a pre-existing story idea that these ideas slot perfectly into.

• Love 5

I think it's been pretty clear in interviews for a long time, and I mean years, that Jen was very tired of the grind of series TV. She was a regular on House for five years, then was a recurring character on How I Met Your Mother during which time she filmed the pilot for Once and then has been at it as Emma for six years. That's a very long time to be working 14 hour days. She's talked about how happy she is working on the other side of the camera and how she wants to move on to that more professionally. Jen was also the target of a lot of hate from fans and she was candid that it hurt her personally. The stories haven't been there recently, her character was in a place where she was getting married and could move on to a happily ever after and I think Jen figured it was time to move on as well. Good for her. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Mari said:

And how  many times did they promise storylines that didn't happen?  It wouldn't  matter what they said--look at the difference between what was promised and delivered over the last several seasons.

I don't know how Morrison feels, but I certainly wouldn't believe them;  the only character they'd center an entire season around is definitely not Emma.

Exactly. Fool me once, etc. (pun intended). Creatively speaking, ONCE is a deadend. For someone who gets into her role with passion and dedication as JMo, it would be foolish to tie herself to A&E for another year or more.

55 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

I think it's been pretty clear in interviews for a long time, and I mean years, that Jen was very tired of the grind of series TV. She was a regular on House for five years, then was a recurring character on How I Met Your Mother during which time she filmed the pilot for Once and then has been at it as Emma for six years. That's a very long time to be working 14 hour days. She's talked about how happy she is working on the other side of the camera and how she wants to move on to that more professionally. Jen was also the target of a lot of hate from fans and she was candid that it hurt her personally. The stories haven't been there recently, her character was in a place where she was getting married and could move on to a happily ever after and I think Jen figured it was time to move on as well. Good for her. 

Great points! I definitely think JMo made the best choice.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Inquirer said:

12 hours ago, Curio said:
12 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

I feel sorry for Hook. If he does manage to stay a part of the show, then either he'll have to tragically lose Emma again or there will be some ridiculous reason he's there but she isn't. I'm more concerned about losing him than her because I've grown to like him over the past season. At the same time, I know without Emma he has no reason to exist. That's just his A&E designed his character, unfortunately.

If Hook is still around, I'll begrudgingly be there with you in Season 7, @KingOfHearts. We can be the Statler and Waldorf of these boards. 

once again i messed up the quoting... but if Hook is back, I'll be back. Bring the rum. 

Honestly, I think they could keep the show. they could just... take it in a different angle. (several, actually) it wouldn't be that difficult 

9 hours ago, Kktjones said:

I wonder why they aren't all doing interviews, and why this isn't officially written in an article yet?  I don't get how the media works.

11 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I wonder why they aren't all doing interviews, and why this isn't officially written in an article yet?  I don't get how the media works.

For whatever reason, ABC hasn't officially released that info yet, so the actors can't do interviews about it.

Jen only announced because someone leaked the information and was about to release it and she wanted to get out ahead of the rumor mill. I think they're holding back on the rest of the cast until after the finale. Cast re-signings limit the drama for potential death in the finale, particularly for Rumpel.

I think it's interesting to see so much of the media basically saying that without Emma this show needs to end. E! has an article about it and Matt Mitovich said the same in his TVLine thing. The comments almost universally agree that the show has run its course and should be done. I just don't see a S7 working at this point. Hook & Regina may be people's favorite characters, but that doesn't mean people are tuning in solely for them. I don't think either can carry the show and losing half the cast will result in a huge drop in audience.

• Love 4

I'm actually looking forward to them cutting cast and I think this could bring sone people back depending on the story. The cast got way too bloated and needed to be cut down. If you do a good adventure story from scratch and put some ad dollars behind it, it may work. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sharky said:

If you do a good adventure story

You do remember who's writing the show, right? ;) I agree there are some fun places they could take the show, but let's face it, they don't have the chops to do it!

• Love 5
(edited)
23 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Not the only one. Even though it will suck to have the whole Charming family gone.

Edited by Writing Wrongs

Emilie took the character of Belle to a deep and soulful place, bringing great intelligence and warmth to the character, making her fiercely independent, strong willed but also an eternal optimist who saw only the best in all those she encountered.

Belle is soulful? Intelligent? Fiercely independent?? What show are these guys watching?

• Love 8

It seems like it was ABC's choice to cut most of the cast, though. They clearly wanted JMo, but have apparently known for a while that she wouldn't be resigning, so they must have been willing to plow forward without her. 

• Love 3

Good Lord. It looks like Kitsis and Horowitz will get what they wanted all along: a show all about the villains without any pesky heroes to waste five minutes a week on. Oh, wait . . . that's what they already have. I wonder if anyone will notice the difference.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

That's my point.  Last season, Castle got renewed but got cancelled a few days later after it was announced that Stana Katic was not returning.  Nothing is stopping ABC for doing the same thing now, especially when most of the cast is not coming back. 

http://deadline.com/2016/05/castle-canceled-abc-8-seasons-1201750347/

They didn't announce Castle as renewed last season and then un-renew it. They went through the motions of making a deal to renew it but it wasn't official.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Souris said:

They didn't account Castle as renewed last season and then un-renew it. They went through the motions of making a deal to renew it but it wasn't official.

Yep. And Stana got fired in mid-April, a month before schedule decisions were being made.

Speaking on contract news, did they release news about contract negotiations around the same time JMo informed them she wasn't returning? I wonder if that's when they leaked the story to see if it could maybe persuade Jen to stay. I think we thought it was odd timing when it came out in February. 

• Love 1