Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, sharky said:

Yep. And Stana got fired in mid-April, a month before schedule decisions were being made.

Speaking on contract news, did they release news about contract negotiations around the same time JMo informed them she wasn't returning? I wonder if that's when they leaked the story to see if it could maybe persuade Jen to stay. I think we thought it was odd timing when it came out in February. 

That is about when the negotiation news leaked. I think maybe it was also to gauge fan reaction, since they knew Jen wasn't signing. But fans mostly assumed it would work out and she'd be back, so people didn't get up in arms too much about the possibility of her not returning.

• Love 3

I'm assuming Ravin will be alright. I'm not worried about Goodwin or Dallas moving on to other (likely better) roles. Mader is the only one I'm worried about. Hopefully she can use her work on LOST and now OUAT to land on a new show in the next few years.

Damn, it's a complete bloodbath.  So the only mains surviving are Regina, Rumple and Hook?  And all of them will be without their True Loves?  Sounds delightful.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

It sounds more like they're honoring the characters they wrote than wishing the actors well. That's just my take.

Hah, that is so true.  Look how we re-invented these boring fairy tale characters.  Here's to our clever writing skills.  And as our show continues, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Camera One said:

Hah, that is so true.  Look how we re-invented these boring fairy tale characters.  Here's to our clever writing skills.  And as our show continues, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

That's been their M.O. for awhile now though. Robin, Will, Maleficent, August, Neal, Marian. And that's just the characters and not even counting the overly contrived twists.

I don't know what to do with those two. As much as I'm one of those people who is glad the show got renewed, is it too much to ask ABC to change show runners? I can think of recent cases where it didn't work, but those instances didn't involve a hard reset like this. There's a natural reset here if they go the wish realm route so put the wish realm in the hands of someone new.

(edited)

I hope Emile gets better work to do. Standing by Rumple and/or sleeping is an insult to her character, as poorly written as it is. It still boggles my mind that Belle has had zero relevance in 6B, when the plot has directly involved the son she was so desperate to protect. But uh... random Zelena centric!

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, KingOfHearts said:

It still boggles my mind that Belle has had zero relevance in 6B, when the plot has directly involved the son she was so desperate to protect. But uh... random Zelena centric!

Makes me think that decisions on who to keep and who to dump were made throughout the season. Belle being sidelined in her own story mirrors very much what happened to MRJ: He was obviously set up for a big part of the action in S2, but when they decided to dump him after they started S3, they minimized him in ways that made no sense within the story -- they didn't even have the skills to pretend they cared about the character.

So I'm guessing they were planning on letting Em go early on, but the decision on Bex may not have come until the very end.

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Amerilla said:

Belle being sidelined in her own story mirrors very much what happened to MRJ: He was obviously set up for a big part of the action in S2, but when they decided to dump him after they started S3, they minimized him in ways that made no sense within the story -- they didn't even have the skills to pretend they cared about the character.

I didn't really feel that way in 3A, except for the lack of Lost Boy Bae flashbacks that would have been greatly appreciated.  The stuff Neal did in that arc made sense with what was set up during S2, since it mostly relied on his relationships with Rumple, Henry and Emma.  It was 3B, the arc where he actually died, where it felt like suddenly the wanted to just dump him ASAP.  His death, which should have been big, happened only four episodes in!

EDR: At this point, a satisfying ending for Belle would be, however this may look, age-wise or time-wise, with or without Rumple, is to be happy and content with herself and be with her child in some respect, after all that she’s gone through with him.

Not very subtle hinting there.

Edited by Inquirer
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Inquirer said:

It was 3B, the arc where he actually died, where it felt like suddenly the wanted to just dump him ASAP.  His death, which should have been big, happened only four episodes in!

And if I remember, there was alot of "Where is Neal? Have you found Neal?" for three of those four episodes. Let's hope the losses tomorrow are treated a bit better.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Amerilla said:

Makes me think that decisions on who to keep and who to dump were made throughout the season. Belle being sidelined in her own story mirrors very much what happened to MRJ: He was obviously set up for a big part of the action in S2, but when they decided to dump him after they started S3, they minimized him in ways that made no sense within the story -- they didn't even have the skills to pretend they cared about the character.

This is a chicken and egg situation: did they stop caring about him and thus decide to dump him, or did they decide to dump him and therefore stopped caring about him?

It's so stupid, too, because when you decide to kill off a character, good storytelling tells you to make him super-important so the death will be more impactful. But, nope.

I still believe not having Rumple be the one to kill Neal to cast the curse in 3B was a huge missed opportunity TBH.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Serena said:

I still believe not having Rumple be the one to kill Neal to cast the curse in 3B was a huge missed opportunity TBH.

They could have had David or Snow kill Neal in  a righteous knee jerk response to learning what he did to Emma and against her wishes...would have set up a great op for excellent acting and angsty story line. As long as someone like Jane was writing it and not the 2 idiots.

In the end...was just so overjoyed the piece of shitty toe jam was dead I didn't care how or who.

Seemed like MRJ was relieved to get the hell out. 

• Love 3

I think the Charmings killing Neal would've been even more cringeworthy than the eggnapping. Because at least the eggnapping was influenced by someone trying to mess with fate and a desperate attempt to save themselves from Regina's curse.

Rumpel using Neal to cast the curse sounds interesting, but why would Rumpel want to go back to the real world? Unless you mean a storyline where Zelena forced him to use Neal for the curse? Yes, that would have been fantastic. Although I think being forced to kill his own son with his own hands would be something he could never let go (when they got to 4B).

• Love 1
(edited)

God, the actors are so, so professional.   "I got fired,  no big deal. "

I could never be so kind,  like thanks for the three years of shitty writing and unceremoniously kicking us out the door but,  super stoked you got to keep your job. 

I know their storyline has played out but I'm surprised that they got Robert to sign on while firing EdR.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Standing by Rumple and/or sleeping is an insult to her character,

I think the writers refusing to move Belle on from Rumple ruined her. They had opportunities to give her her own plots, put her with Gaston or the guy from the Wonderland spin-off. Instead they just keep having her run back to Rumple over and over no matter what he did to her or others. Made her just a waste.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Unless you mean a storyline where Zelena forced him to use Neal for the curse? Yes, that would have been fantastic. 

This was my pet theory for 3B. Too bad we got the dreck we did instead. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Delphi said:

God, the actors are so, so professional.   "I got fired,  no big deal. "

Josh and Ginny appeared on a panel with Adam and Eddie about the musical when they knew they had been let go.  I am not sure I would have felt like spending some of my free time with them, although I think they might have been more ready to depart on their own than Bex and Emille seem to be.  That decision that they exit might have been more mutual.

Remember that most of the actors involved had six-year deals that were all coming up at the end of this season. For some actors, I'm sure it wasn't their decision. But considering that Josh and Ginny have kids and have asked for less screen time to spend time with their family, I'm sure it was more a situation where they told A&E they didn't want to renew, probably similar to Jen leaving. 

52 minutes ago, CCTC said:

Josh and Ginny appeared on a panel with Adam and Eddie about the musical when they knew they had been let go.  I am not sure I would have felt like spending some of my free time with them, although I think they might have been more ready to depart on their own than Bex and Emille seem to be.  That decision that they exit might have been more mutual.

Josh and Ginny have a very good relationship with A&E, at least with Eddy. They went to Cuba together last month. So they are leaving in their own terms and they would probably come back for guest spots if they are needed.

(edited)

Speaking of kids, Colin and his wife Helen had their second child, a beautiful little girl, earlier this week.  Colin announced it just today on Twitter.  Congratulations to them both!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

That EW article is so infuriatingly vague. I get that they don't want to spoil all of season 7 (or, more likely, don't have any real clue what it will look like), but they could have given fans some scrap of information to hold them over for the summer. A lot of fans were waiting to see what season 7 would be about before deciding whether or not to tune in. All we got from the finale was Emma/Henry redux with Adult Henry. I don't know about most fans, but that doesn't sound appealing to me and it certainly doesn't make me want to lend this show my trust or patience.

I was hoping for some little tidbit about why Hook, Regina, and Rumple end up separated from their loved ones and maybe some glimmer of hope that they'll all be reunited again one day. We didn't get any of that from the finale nor from these interviews, and since most of the cast is leaving, I'm thinking there's a good chance we'll never get to see those reunions. Apparently we're just supposed to be satisfied with this temporary happily ever after. Adam and Eddy must be really confident that fans will tune in just for the sheer genius of the idea.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Speaking of kids, Colin and his wife Helen had their second child, a beautiful little girl, earlier this week.  Colin announced it just today on Twitter.

That had to be the most low-key birth announcement ever -- Happy mother's day, and oh, by the way, new baby earlier this week. I guess this was a good week for him, with a new daughter and finding out that he's employed for at least another year. This is a pretty good setup for him, I suppose. He'll have more than a month off with the new baby, and then for about the first nine months or so of her life, he's got a steady job where he stays in one place instead of having to run off to various movie sets, and I'm betting that the returning characters will be secondary with the new cast being primary, so he may have less of a workload.

Did anyone else watch the clip show retrospective that came on before the finale? It got rather amusing in places. They were supposedly answering questions submitted by viewers, and I think they got trolled a couple of times but didn't have the self-awareness to realize it. A&E got asked whether they thought the ogres were just misunderstood, which sounded like someone getting in a dig about the way they write villains. Lana and Ginny were asked what they thought the turning point in Snow and Regina's relationship was, and they were clearly stumped. They ended up talking around it quite a bit but couldn't come up with the turning point -- obviously, since there really wasn't one. I found it interesting that everyone's favorite episodes were early in the series. Josh and Ginny liked "Snow Falls," Jen liked the season three finale, and Colin liked "The Crocodile." If your cast's favorite episodes and favorite moments were all in the first three seasons, then that's a sign that the writing hasn't kept up.

• Love 12
(edited)

Yikes - I saw that Colin just cancelled another con (Telford) - this one only 3 days prior. I just feel really bad for all attending since both he and JMo cancelled. I know actors have a right to back out at any time, and I love Colin, but I think it's pretty bad form. Clearly he cancelled because his wife just had a baby, but I'm sure he's known when she was due for 6+ months. Would have made more sense to cancel back in the Fall and spare a lot of people from buying tickets and making non-refundable travel plans. So happy I didn't buy tix to the Chicago con as I was tempted to do...

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 3

I have a feeling a lot of the actors don't have much control over how these conventions promote ticket sales or when they're allowed to back out. These fan conventions are all about getting as much $$$ as possible, so it's entirely possible that an actor knows well ahead of time they can't attend, but because the convention people want to make as much money as possible, they'll refuse to announce a cancellation until the last minute to try and get more attendees.

3 minutes ago, Curio said:

it's entirely possible that an actor knows well ahead of time they can't attend, but because the convention people want to make as much money as possible, they'll refuse to announce a cancellation until the last minute to try and get more attendees.

Wow - that would be pretty crappy of convention company! Although from what I've heard, many of them are not the most reputable to begin with. Doing so not only screws over the attendees, it makes the actors look really bad in the process.

Actors cancel personal appearances at the last minute all the time. I think it is much more likely that Colin bailed on the convention at the last minute than some shenanigans with ticket sales are going on.

Except his reason for cancelling is likely something that was known about for awhile. If he cancelled because he has the flu or surgery to fix his broken foot, that's one thing. But a baby is something that seems pretty easy to plan around several months out. JMo cancelled months ago when she took on a new project and that was even less planned in advance than the eight months you get to plan for a birth.

Something seems fishy but I can't exactly place the blame. He cancelled Brazil last month and I would assume he may have cancelled other appearances at the same time. So was his management late to telling Telford? Or did Telford hold off on the news after they already had JMo cancel on them? It just all seems odd. 

I'm guessing Colin's team was optimistic he could attend if his wife didn't give birth before the convention, but since she did give birth before the convention, he had to cancel. I mean, it sucks for the fans, but this is the reason why I don't attend these kinds of smaller conventions. There are too many cases where conventions book a long list of actors only for a good chunk of them to conveniently cancel closer to the date. Whenever I see a "this is who is attending" list, I always assume a few of the actors won't actually attend and the convention planners are just optimistic that having those big names attached will draw more fans to buy tickets early.

(edited)

There seems to be something dodgy going on with that Telford con. Chyler Leigh, who Telford said also canceled, posted this message saying that Telford wasn't honoring their contracts and she was "forcibly excluded." And apparently Colin's rep told Xivents that Telford canceled on him. It's possible it was something like Telford wasn't upholding their contract in some way and that triggered some kind of clause where Colin wouldn't appear.

What a mess. This sort of thing is why I'd never pay a bunch of money for a con.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 2
(edited)

Jamie Chung talks about OUAT, The Real World: San Diego, and her new show The Gifted:

If you don't want to watch the whole interview, this is a very short clip where she talks about OUAT (she sidesteps the question about whether she's coming back for the final season):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Not a surprise, but from Jared Gilmore:

Jared Gilmore‏  @Jared_Gilmore
Replying to @Arrow_Tianni21

I will miss working with everyone and would have loved growing up more on the show but I do understand the direction the writers are going.

11 hours ago, Camera One said:

I will miss working with everyone and would have loved growing up more on the show but I do understand the direction the writers are going.

Down, down, down, down...

• Love 3

This is so tragic. The unexpected death of someone we only know online can sometimes be as hard to bear as the loss of a person we have interacted with physically. What a difficult time for her family and friends! RIP.

• Love 5