Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

Golden Queen added so little in the long run. The writers played it like Rumple threatening to kill EQ was foreshadowing, but that never went anywhere.

You have no idea how happy it makes me that Robert fought Eddy over it. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 7
Just now, Rumsy4 said:

And yet Robert chose to come back for Season 7. smh

He said his kids like Vancouver so it makes sense. The things we do for our children...

• Love 6
(edited)
6 hours ago, RedKeep said:

Robert may ultimately not care that much for all the reasons mentioned before, regarding his career prospects once he leaves this show for good, but do people honestly think the other actors will continue to be as open and honest during their meet and greets if fans treat those private sessions like that? It's purposefully different from a press Q&A and I don't believe for a second Robert knew he was being recorded and the con staff allowed such recordings.

Any actor in this day and age has to assume that they're being photographed or recorded pretty much any time they're in public, so (unfair as it might seem) at the end of the day it's on them to monitor what they say in public forums (or the line at Starbucks, for that matter). Con organizers have to tread that fine line between the free publicity of social sharing and making sure people don't film or record what they aren't supposed to. So yes, ideally, people would play by the rules, but I'm not sure it has a deleterious effect on the con experience overall. 

Edited by Amerilla
  • Love 2

Deadline.com podcast: 'How The ‘Once Upon A Time’ Musical Episode Came Together'.

Songwriters Michael Weiner and Alan Zachary heard fans’ call, and lobbied their manager Richard Kraft to get them in the door at ABC, so they could pitch their concept for a musical episode. Horowitz and Kitsis had always made it known that musicals weren’t in their creative bandwidth. For some time, Weiner and Zachary had been looking for TV shows that could lend themselves to a musical episode. ...

In today’s Crew Call podcast, Weiner and Zachary take us behind the scenes as to how the Once Upon A Time musical episode tuned up.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's refreshing to hear an honest critique from someone involved in the show. Maybe Adam and Eddy are nice guys, but both seem too proud (or arrogant) to ever admit that they messed up a storyline. Whenever fans criticize them, I get the impression that A & E just dismiss them as crazy shippers who don't understand good writing. And their own belief in the genius of their writing is constantly reinforced by the actors praising them as master storytellers. I love that they're at least getting criticism from someone whom they likely highly respect.

Maybe it isn't the most professional for Robert to complain about his bosses publicly (although I guess this wasn't really intended to be public), but at the same time, the criticism is completely justified. It must be so frustrating for the actors to see the drop in quality of writing over the years. I'm surprised that Eddy was so insistent on Golden Queen that he was willing to upset Robert--in what world was it worth it? That's one storyline where no matter how hard I squint, I cannot see one iota of appeal. I really have no idea what the writers were thinking there.

I actually do think there's a difference between Adam and Eddy. Both come across as a bit arrogant, but I've always gotten the impression that Adam is the more passive one, and that he's also the one more afraid of upsetting fans. Eddy, on the other hand, I think is a little more arrogant, a little more condescending, and a little more insistent that his way is the best way. Maybe I'm completely off base, but I've had this impression for years, so Bobbie saying that it was Eddy he fought with really doesn't surprise me.

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

And yet Robert chose to come back for Season 7. smh

He's not wrong about what he's said, but I'm kind of hoping the writers take it out on him and Rumpel becomes background scenery in S7. I wanted Rumpel to be gone anyway.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Katherine said:

I actually do think there's a difference between Adam and Eddy. Both come across as a bit arrogant, but I've always gotten the impression that Adam is the more passive one, and that he's also the one more afraid of upsetting fans. Eddy, on the other hand, I think is a little more arrogant, a little more condescending, and a little more insistent that his way is the best way. Maybe I'm completely off base, but I've had this impression for years, so Bobbie saying that it was Eddy he fought with really doesn't surprise me.

I hate saying this because I obviously don't know them but, I always got this impression too. Eddy is the one who says most of the stuff in interviews that pisses me off but Adam is the more public one on social media so he gets the blame

• Love 7
(edited)

I agree too. It's typically Eddy's interview comments that piss me off more than Adam's poor attempts at fan-pacification on Twitter. After all, it was Eddy who made infamous comments such as "we can't sacrifice Regina's story", etc., etc..

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 8
(edited)

Eddy is also the one who made the condescending comment, "What? Do you want to see the Evil Queen at the DMV?"

He seems to have his head in the sand more than Adam. While Adam converses with fans a little too much, Eddy is the on the opposite end of the spectrum. He takes zero criticism and has no presence in social media. Adam is definitely the spokesman of the two.

Maybe it isn't the most professional for Robert to complain about his bosses publicly (although I guess this wasn't really intended to be public), but at the same time, the criticism is completely justified. It must be so frustrating for the actors to see the drop in quality of writing over the years. I'm surprised that Eddy was so insistent on Golden Queen that he was willing to upset Robert--in what world was it worth it? That's one storyline where no matter how hard I squint, I cannot see one iota of appeal. I really have no idea what the writers were thinking there.

Well, Robert is already a distinguished actor. He has nothing to prove. Plus, he's going into his final season on the show. He doesn't need a contract renewal.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 5

Robert also has his next project already lined up. He doesn't care. I'm glad someone who can't be dismissed as an unhappy shipper/fangirl finally called the writers out. 

Media is an interesting thing. I fully understand not wanting to engage in the vitriol and cesspool of hate that abounds on social media, but you can't not read it and then dismiss the comments as if you know all about them. Eddy quite frequently manages to both insult fans and display a complete lack of understanding of criticism with one brief quip. The kiss comment was a perfect example of the writers not getting it. People wanted actual fallout. They wanted an actual conversation that should reasonably have followed such an emotionally difficult series of events for the two characters involved. Instead, Eddy reduced everyone's criticism to disappointed fangirls who want an entire show of Captain Swan making out. Way to miss the point, moron. A good showrunner would actually examine why people were disappointed (especially with continuously falling ratings) and recognize that people expected something to happen after the build up and were unhappy that it didn't happen. If you're too thin skinned to do it yourself, hire an intern to wade through media reviews, fan meta and episode commentary and create a brief summary of criticism/praise. Don't reduce all fans' criticism to the expectations of a 12 year old who comments "Captain Swan 5eva!" on every media column or tweet.

• Love 10

It used to be a pattern hat after a lot of their interviews were published there was something Eddy said that created a shitstorm in fandom and Adam then trying to put the fire out on twitter, saying that Eddy didn't mean it, he misspoke or was misquoted.

Eddy does seem to lurk in social media/online though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nmJOh5hsiY About 5:15 he's mocking/imitating Belle fans typing online.

And interesting that the rumbelle BNF seem to have been right when they called that Golden Queen must be on Eddy.

• Love 3

With the open criticism of the writing, I've started wondering how much of what the other actors have said might be stealth criticism/snark. For instance, we've speculated that the old, fat Hook was a kind of revenge of the nerds against Colin, them having fun making the young, thin, handsome guy be old, fat and ugly (never mind that he's probably nerdier than they are). That makes me wonder if Colin always saying that old, fat Hook is his favorite version of the character is possibly a bit of subtle snark, taking away their attempt to put him down by owning it and saying he loves it. Ginny has made comments about having to work really hard to rationalize and find the truth in some of the things her character has said or done, framing it as being hard because it's so different from what she would choose, when really, it's different from what most people would choose or say.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

With the open criticism of the writing, I've started wondering how much of what the other actors have said might be stealth criticism/snark. For instance, we've speculated that the old, fat Hook was a kind of revenge of the nerds against Colin, them having fun making the young, thin, handsome guy be old, fat and ugly (never mind that he's probably nerdier than they are). That makes me wonder if Colin always saying that old, fat Hook is his favorite version of the character is possibly a bit of subtle snark, taking away their attempt to put him down by owning it and saying he loves it. Ginny has made comments about having to work really hard to rationalize and find the truth in some of the things her character has said or done, framing it as being hard because it's so different from what she would choose, when really, it's different from what most people would choose or say.

And Jen constantly praising A&E for telling such great stories and coming up with things she'd never think of.

I don't think Colin is being snarky when he says he enjoyed old Hook - he seemed to just have fun playing it. But I do think Ginny has been critical of the writing with some of her comments (not as much as Robert of course) but her saying things like having to work on aspects of the script for long periods of time to try to make it work for her character because it didn't make sense and saying that she would make totally different choices about Emma because she is a mother in real life and wouldn't do the things Snow has done. There are definitely things she said that I felt were snarky.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, superloislane said:

I don't think Colin is being snarky when he says he enjoyed old Hook - he seemed to just have fun playing it.

Yeah, he doesn't really seem to do snark. But it is amusing that he really enjoyed it if the writers were trying to take Hook or him down a peg with that. Whatever they were trying to do missed the mark entirely.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think the Writers were trying to "take him down a peg".  It's the usual "Wouldn't it be cool if" combined with "let's just write the opposite of usual" combined with "we're so funny" combined with "viewers would be so shocked since they've never seen that Hook before".  That was probably their mark... they aim low.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3

Once is up for several Previously awards, though I think they're all in negative categories (gee, wonder why). The ones I recall include worst episode of a drama, series that's outlived its shelf life, storyline that didn't live up to its potential (land of untold stories), idiot stick award, worst couple, and worst use of a wig.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Tough call. One reason to go, one reason to stay the hell away.

I agree - I'm already cringing at A&E's interview responses and it's still weeks away. They could really use some coaching when it comes to promoting their show. First of all, the #no spoilers schtick is ridiculous at this point as they need to give people a reason to be interested in the retooled show. Second, they need to have a better handle on what audiences like and get excited about. Third, stop baiting and leading people on. The disappointment fans feel when their teases doesn't come to fruition is worse than if they'd never mentioned them in the first place.

I do feel for Colin - whether he wanted to stay for another year, or had no choice given his contract. He wants to be excited about the new season, but I do hope he's sensitive to the fact that MANY people are wary of what the storyline will do to the CaptainSwan relationship. I think they could placate A LOT of people by just confirming that Emma will not be killed off and that Hook will not have a new love interest...

Edited by Kktjones
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Kktjones said:

I think they could placate A LOT of people by just confirming that Emma will not be killed off and that Hook will not have a new love interest

Although, I have absolutely no issue with his cursed persona having a fake LI just like David in season one.

As long as the cursed personality leaves and he remembers all about his true love Emma by the end of the season.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, daxx said:

As long as the cursed personality leaves and he remembers all about his true love Emma by the end of the season.

We're probably veering into Season 7 discussion, but I wanted to respond. I would be in agreement if we knew JMo was confirmed to return later this season, but she isn't. It would be pretty unsatisfying to see Hook with another woman all season, then have him remember Emma, but never getting to see their reunion on screen. For it to work, I think you'd need to see them interacting throughout the season (or at least him having memories/flashes of her) and then some type of sweet reunion at the end of the season. 

6 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Once is up for several Previously awards, though I think they're all in negative categories (gee, wonder why). The ones I recall include worst episode of a drama, series that's outlived its shelf life, storyline that didn't live up to its potential (land of untold stories), idiot stick award, worst couple, and worst use of a wig.

I see my nomination for the Land of Untold Stories made it to the final round. Yeah? And who did the Regina one for person who should be in jail? I couldn't vote for that hard enough.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, daxx said:

Although, I have absolutely no issue with his cursed persona having a fake LI just like David in season one.

Thing is....if they give Killian a new/temporary love interest they will probably twist the knife and show them in all these domestic and hot scenes...you know, the ones that CS fans were screaming for....

I am not here for that!

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, PixiePaws1 said:

Thing is....if they give Killian a new/temporary love interest they will probably twist the knife and show them in all these domestic and hot scenes...you know, the ones that CS fans were screaming for....

I am not here for that!

Exactly. And they'll do it on purpose because that's the kind of writers A&E are.

• Love 4
(edited)

I nominated "Wish You Were Here" as the Worst Episode of a Drama. I'm happy to see it made it to the Final Round.

I am voting for OUAT in all the Bad categories so hard. I'm a very strange fan.

Yeah? And who did the Regina one for person who should be in jail? I couldn't vote for that hard enough.

This. So much this. Rumple too.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 4

Sean singing to his baby was so adorable. I wish they had done better by his character. He can do better than he did on Once. He was lovely as Ian Fleming on Timeless.

• Love 3

Adam retweeted both TVLine and EW's "What we know about Season 7" so far.  With zero new information, I must add.  What's the point?  EW even made a video with quotes they printed before from actors leaving.  Ginny's "It's merely time for ONCE to focus on something new because ONCE does 'new' extremely well" comment from a month ago... LOL.  I'm not sure if that's a backhanded compliment or what.

• Love 4

Jane posted the ComicCon panel info (July 22, 10 a.m.) on Twitter:

The residents of the enchanted forest enter season 7, facing their greatest challenge yet as the Evil Queen, Captain Hook, and Rumpelstiltskin join forces with a grown-up Henry Mills and his daughter Lucy on an epic quest to bring hope to their world and ours. Along the way, new fairy tale characters and old search for true love, find adventure, and take sides in the ongoing struggle of good against evil as classic tales are once again twisted and reimagined. Co-creators and executive producers Edward Kitsis (Lost) and Adam Horowitz (Lost), executive producer David H. Goodman (Without a Trace), and cast members discuss what's in store for returning favorites as well as the new additions to the Once Upon a Time universe. Moderated by Yvette Nicole Brown (The Mayor).

It doesn't specify which cast members.

And so I guess we'll be scouring the Internet starting at 10 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time that day to see what gets spilled.

(edited)

Conveniently, there is a panel at Comic Con that same day that I believe Adam & Eddy should attend. Yes, these are fantasy book authors, not TV writers, but the same concept applies. As the description says, "world mythology provides the building blocks of contemporary storytelling." Take the hint, boys, and actually learn something about world building & mythology from professionals who are much better than you at fantasy writing.

World Mythology in Contemporary Fantasy

Panel Description: Xenophobes beware. (And, if you know what “xenophobes” means, please keep reading.) There are worlds of diverse gods, djinn, daemons, Ghabali, manticores, sylphs, yowies … and oh, yeah, Baba Yaga … to learn about. And you can find them all in the pages of books. Join these authors to learn about the monsters that roam the earth, and how world mythology provides the building blocks of contemporary storytelling. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 7

Yvette Nicole Brown, the moderator of the ComicCon panel, is soliciting fan questions for the panel on Twitter. I think the hashtag for it is #AskYNB, but you'd probably want to double-check if you're submitting anything (it came up in my feed as a retweet of a retweet, so I'd have to dig to find it again). It could be interesting if she gets to select the questions, less interesting if there's someone else managing that and she's just providing a funnel for it.

As for the worldbuilding ... every time I've been on a panel of fantasy authors talking about creating magical systems, this show comes up as an example of what not to do.

• Love 7
(edited)

I've been watching this series about villages in England. In the episode about The Cotswolds, they were talking about celebs who live there and they mentioned the excitement about Jamie Dornan moving there and how people were trying to figure out how to ask him over for drinks. LOL

Also,

Season 6 dvd/blu comes out on Aug 15:

Special Features:

The Storybrooke Songbook: Inside the Musical Episode

Audio Commentary

The Fairest Bloopers of Them All

Deleted Scenes

Edited by Writing Wrongs

Colin O'donoghue sings "Revenge is gonna be mine" at D23 Expo
Published on Jul 15, 2017, by Best of ONCE

D23 Expo with Colin O’Donoghue, Bizaardvark, CharismaStar, and MrLeoZombie | Oh My Disney LIVE
Streamed live July 15, 2017, by Oh My DIsney

D23 Ultimate Street Party with Colin O'Donoghue (Hook @ Once Upon a Time)
Published on Jul 15, 2017, by ChristineDoesCons

10 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I've been watching this series about villages in England. In the episode about The Cotswolds, they were talking about celebs who live there and they mentioned the excitement about Jamie Dornan moving there and how people were trying to figure out how to ask him over for drinks. LOL

Also,

Season 6 dvd/blu comes out on Aug 15:

Only one commentary and it's just the writers. At least it's on a good episode (The Other Shoe) but still, did none of actors want to talk about season 6?

Season 6 had so little substance, I'm not sure the actors would have much to say in the way of commentary. Also, the way they've been throwing shade (however politely), I don't think there is a whole lot of enthusiasm on the actors' part to talk about the show in a completely positive way anyway. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Adam has twitted the actors going to SDCC: Lana, Colin, Bobby (yeah, I'm surprised too), Andrew West, Dania Ramírez, Gabrielle Anwar y Mekia Cox (not sure if she is regular or recurring)

Edited by RadioGirl27
1 minute ago, Writing Wrongs said:

If anyone finds a video of the SDCC panel, please post it. Thanks.

I posted a link to a compilation of tweets, some of which include video snippets, in the spoilers thread. It's very, very spoiler-heavy. Info on who the new cast members are playing, etc.