Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Yep! Some CS fans were of course freaking out about that too, going *wink wink*. I was able to read all the titles except the black book with very small lettering. Anyone have any ideas on what it says?

That is too cute. Little things like this why I love this show sometimes. I can't read the black book, but I'm wondering what Stars Screaming indicates (I hope it's not referring to some bad sex scenes I've read in urban fantasy where "she screamed her pleasure to the heavens" is erotic)

I bet it's a little bit of both. I've had two coworkers in recent weeks tell me they happened to catch an episode this season and ended up mainlining it on Netflix to catch up. (In a bit of demographic interest, these are both men in their 30s. One of them told me if I mentioned it to anyone else, I was in trouble. ;))

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 1

I do know at least one person who watched the entire thing over the summer so she could be caught up in time to start the Frozen arc. Her joy when she realized she could do so via Netflix.

Edited by Aliasscape
live ratings are becoming less important these days.

Well, they matter in terms of paying for the show (which gets the show made), so in all the "important" ways, live ratings still matter a lot. The broadcast model of TV shows is still based on advertisers paying for airtime in the form of commercial breaks, and they only pay for those if the show has high enough live air viewership to make their money worth it (meaning do they think enough people are seeing their commercials). That money is then what keeps the shows being made and on the air. Until that model changes, live ratings are just as important as they always were. The only difference that internet streaming outlets make right now is that a lower rated show that is on the line of cancellation has a chance of being "saved" if it shows to have enough traction in a medium that can be significantly monetized if given more time.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 3

Well, they matter in terms of paying for the show (which gets the show made), so in all the "important" ways, live ratings still matter a lot.

I'm not saying it's not important, just that it doesn't totally define the show. Live viewership isn't totally responsible for its success.

Edited by KingOfHearts

It depends if the network who airs the show is also producing it. If Once were airing on, for example, FOX, it wouldn't matter how much it makes in Hulu streaming or similar because it's produced by ABC and that's where the money would be going. But since the network is also producing it, I do believe it matters a bit.

I only watched Netflix from S1 to 3A. I didn't begin to watch live until 3B rolled around. With all the DVR and Netflix ratings, live ratings are becoming less important these days.

I binge watched seasons 1 and 2 shortly before season 3 started. My brother told me to watch it because he thought I'd love the Evil Queen. Began watching live for season 3, despite not being able to contribute to the viewership.

While live ratings have relevance, I agree that they aren't quite as relevant as they used to be. Streaming and everything else has made it more and more difficult to keep up live numbers. I feel like it's pushing networks to reevaluate how valuable certain ways of viewership are (live, streaming, etc.).

Anyways, good for OUAT! For all we know, it could take up a mere 1% of that 7%, but I'll take it. Good to see OUAT getting some media attention.

• Love 1

I didn't care for Shadow of the Queen.

I haven't read it, so don't have an opinion, and have only heard a few things.  Would you be comfortable explaining why you didn't care for it?

I haven't read it, so don't have an opinion, and have only heard a few things.  Would you be comfortable explaining why you didn't care for it?

I refused to read it because the last thing I wanted was an in depth story about Regina and Graham when she had Graham's heart.

Edited by Aliasscape
  • Love 2

Yes, I can't imagine what the writers' room was thinking "one of our most controversial storylines that we refuse to deal with was Regina's rape of Graham - how about we write a novel set in the period of time just after she starts abusing him? Sounds fantastic!"

I'm not really a fan of tv series comics. I couldn't get into any of the Buffy or Charmed ones either.

The Once one has some backstory of Graham and Red being involved, I think. It just didn't appeal to me.

I'm thinking that A&E stating that Darth Vader and Star Wars doesn't have a place on the show while Frozen did is code for: Disney threw us a bone with Frozen to boost ratings but they won't let us mess with Star Wars even a little bit since the next movie's coming out in a year.  If Frozen came with an insane amount of caveats, you know that Star Wars, which as seen its prequels get shredded by every critic and fan since they came out (including Jon Stewart politely criticizing them to George Lucas' face), would be under so much scrutiny that it just wouldn't be worth it. 

An interesting interview, though.  I do feel skeptical at their claims of wanting Robin Hood, because I feel that they'd make him a regular if that were case, much like how they signed Colin before his episode had even aired as proof of how badly they wanted Hook. 

• Love 2

I can understand if they say Star Wars doesn't really fit in the Once universe. It's so very scifi while Once is firmly in fantasyland. Can you imagine these characters dealing with spaceships when they only have rudimentary understanding of cell phones and televisions?

Edited by The Cake is a Pie
  • Love 2

I'd watch it for the hilarity. They'd be running around like a bunch of headless chickens.

Also, I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss it, but what did everyone think of how they handled promotion for this season? That counts as media stuff right?

I thought that there was a shift in attention at around halfway through (at least what I gathered from twitter). They pushed Frozen in the beginning, but by 4x05 they kind of dropped that in favor for a lot of OQ/Regina stuff with a tiny speck of "will Anna and Elsa unite," "Snow queen," and a dash of "Rumple has an evil plan." Also, the 4b Evil Trio hype started by what? 4x08 or 9ish, which sort of helped overshadow the ending of the arc. The same with interviews. I remember seeing quite a few interviews with the frozen crew in the beginning, but that seemed to end.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread!

I agree with your assessment of the shift in promotion, HoodlumSheep. Clearly, it wasn't an effective strategy if one looks at the ratings. Frozen was popular and brought in tons of people at the beginning. There was some Emma and Hook promotion in the early days; CaptainSwan is very popular with the general viewership, despite what some vocal fans would contend. Then suddenly it was all about Regina, SQ for that one godawful episode, DQ and OQ. They stopped promoting stuff viewers were interested in and started promoting things that simply didn't bring in the viewers. OQ has its fans, but overall I don't think it's that popular, and the adultery angle turned some viewers off a lot.

Will they realize that they were promoting the wrong things? No. Back in the "Alias" days, we had a section on the VartanHo website about ABC being run by monkeys. Some things never change.

Funnily enough, I remember talking about ABC's marketing of Sports Night as a possible factor as to why it wasn't reaching the proper audience on mailing lists ... back in 1999. (Because if I remember correctly, ABC marketed as like, the reinvention of the sitcom, and it really wasn't. It was a dramedy before that word existed. So people were tuning in expecting, y'know, a sitcom, and that's not what it was.)

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 1

I guess this goes here? Once was the most popular show on Spoiler TV this year (based on pageviews, comments, polls, likes, tweets, etc), up from second place last year. Most popular Once sneak peek was this one from 4.09, of the characters looking at the curse coming. Most popular Once poll was "Which of these is your favorite Couple from Once Upon a Time?" (Emma and Hook won).

Definitely the intensity of the fandom for this show doesn't seem to diminish, even if live viewer numbers do.

Good for Once! And yeah, the intensity will probably never die. Once seems to have had a pretty great year, even when the viewership numbers pretty much matched the end of 3a, which I think will probably be a recurring pattern mainly due to the time of year and everything.

Once is remarkable because even when it disappoints its fans (and that's often), the fans react by talking endlessly about why and how they are disappointed. With other shows, fans simply drift away and find another show!

• Love 5

best female boxing with SQ

I was confused for a second because I expected there to be a picture of Regina looking annoyed at Emma from their hiking episode, but then read the description with the photo that says best female BONDING. And now I'm seriously worried for the landscape of female friendships in television today if Emma and Regina were the single best example of two females bonding this entire year... (Not even Emma and Elsa? Really TVLine?)

• Love 8

I was confused for a second because I expected there to be a picture of Regina looking annoyed at Emma from their hiking episode, but then read the description with the photo that says best female BONDING. And now I'm seriously worried for the landscape of female friendships in television today if Emma and Regina were the single best example of two females bonding this entire year... (Not even Emma and Elsa? Really TVLine?)

Lmao, my phone is ridiculous. Boxing would have been more fun.

• Love 2

And now I'm seriously worried for the landscape of female friendships in television today if Emma and Regina were the single best example of two females bonding this entire year... (Not even Emma and Elsa? Really TVLine?)

Agreed not even the best female bonding on OUAT so no way for all dramas. I refuse to believe it! Several TVLine articles have really jumped on the SQ train this year talking about their great bonding and loving the Regina screaming at Emma episode. 

In other news, in part one of TVLine's Best of 2014 Sven won Best Animal.

http://tvline.com/gallery/best-drama-comedy-series-2014-photos-worst-shows/#!32/best-animal-performance-sven-once-upon-a-time/

• Love 1

Richly deserved. Jack and whoever filmed him did an amazing job.

I'm going to ignore that female bonding stuff. I don't think that word means what they think it means. Bonding isn't one person hurling insults at the person whose life they ruined while the other person begs to be friends. The word they are looking for is "dysfunctional" or "messed up" or "WTF" relationship.

• Love 2

Can they make Sven a regular? Please? I want Sven in every scene giving his epic feedback.

Here is Sven's response to having Operation Mongoose explained to him.Sven_OUaT.png

Edited by kili
  • Love 4

I was confused for a second because I expected there to be a picture of Regina looking annoyed at Emma from their hiking episode, but then read the description with the photo that says best female BONDING. And now I'm seriously worried for the landscape of female friendships in television today if Emma and Regina were the single best example of two females bonding this entire year... (Not even Emma and Elsa? Really TVLine?)

I know, right. I lost some respect for TVline for that one. Seriously, in all of television that was their choice? I'm going to pretend someone from ONCE paid TVline for that "honor". Orphan Black, or geez, even Game of Thrones has better examples of female bonding.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 3

Eh, I don't know. Matt seems to be a big fan of the show overall and they probably just wanted to get some Once representation in there. And as someone who used to do those types of galleries, I can tell you that there is less thought put into them by the writers than there is put in by the readers.

• Love 1

If he wanted some OUAT representation, he could have gone for Emma/Elsa. Hell, I'd take Emma/Ingrid over Emma/Regina. At least Ingrid had genuine feelings for Emma and never tried to kill her.

I do think it's all about views, and SQ are a very close-knit and vocal community, prone to marketing stuff that appeals to them amongst each other.

• Love 1

The ABC promo monkeys have just successfully gotten me to give Agent Carter a shot.  What does this have to do with OUAT.

They just did a powerful women of ABC promo that Agent Carter will be joining.  The two named women, Sydney Bristow and Olivia Pope (and I feel kind of bad for the network that they had to go all the way back to Alias).  But of the three unnamed women, Emma was front and center and the only one from OUAT.  I don't dislike Regina, but its kind of nice to get some network love for Emma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWWSxne92Do

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6

I don't read comments on most sites now (especially newspaper sites) since they are usually a hotbed of people slinging insults at one another.  I went back to read those, and what a surprise... a few of those comments did seem like they could have come from here.  There seems to be some overall discontent about the main characters being overshadowed and underused.  There were the usual smatterings of comments from people who hate certain characters.  At least there weren't too many real-life insults except for a few mean comments about Goodwin.  

There seems to be some overall discontent about the main characters being overshadowed and underused.

I think this is an issue that really unites a lot of the "fan factions" on the show. No matter which character you love, the Big Bads/Franchise of the Week always take away the screen time. It's not only about showing individual characters doing their thing, but also their relationship with the rest of the cast. Then you have all the secondary characters with their own fans who've been disappointed for a very long time.

It's a lose-lose situation. Even if you love the villain of the week, they're going to die and you'll never see them again.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6