Type keyword(s) to search

Knitting With Granny: The Realm of Creativity

Souris
  • Start Topic

Here's a place to talk about fan art, fan videos and other creative works.

So I was so amused by the continued usage of the word "complicated" by Colin and others in interviews that I felt compelled to created a Season 4 cast interview Bingo card. I expect you could probably get Bingo after one interview or article.

• Love 4

I like photoshopping my own Once "marketing" photos. They're very amateur, trust me - but right now I'm experimenting with "freezing" pictures of the cast for S4. Working on a slideshow with a picture for each character with brief bios. Pair that with the awesome soundtrack, and you've got a magical pre-show experience.

Nice thread title by the way, Souris! I'd say it's creative. ;)

Edited by KingOfHearts

So I was so amused by the continued usage of the word "complicated" by Colin and others in interviews that I felt compelled to created a Season 4 cast interview Bingo card. I expect you could probably get Bingo after one interview or article.

Heh, nice. I would also suggest: "addict," "Josh or Ginnifer explain for the thousandth time that their real life child will not play Neal," "Adam or Eddie says they'd be 'disappointed if X didn't happen' as if they have no control over what goes on on their own goddamn show."

• Love 1

There was an idea floating around Tumblr to make Once themed cupcakes for the premiere night, so I thought I'd give it the old college try.  I hope they taste as good as they look, lol - since they are something entirely created from my head last week.  Guess I'll find out tonight!

Those cupcakes look amazing. You should share the recipe :-)

I think I want that cupcake recipe, too. Sadly, there will be no creativity for me this week because I'm at a convention and will be watching late, whenever I get home, unless I get volunteered to take someone to the airport and get to leave early instead of helping with teardown, but I think I need to start dreaming up recipes.

I will likely be knitting while watching. Does that count?

• Love 1

Cool idea. I mentioned my cosplays in the obsession thread.
Here is the necklace I made for my daughter's Emma. I cast the pewter swan medallion year ago. 
file-16.jpg

Here is my chipped cup on my library shelf. I happened to see a teacup at a thrift store and I added the chip with a pliers (and a little Sharpie marker because it was too subtle and I was afraid of breaking the whole thing.) 

file-9.jpg

• Love 2

My entry in the creative arts category for tonight: I'm making apple turnovers (the non-poisoned type -- I hope) for my viewing snack.

Mostly, this came about as an exercise in pastry making. The other night, I had some leftover chicken I needed to use up, so I made a pie crust and made chicken pot pies. I don't know exactly what I did, but it was the best crust I've ever made. It rolled out perfectly without cracking or sticking, and it baked to be nice and flaky. So I figured I needed to do it again to see how I did whatever I did, and then I figured that I had some apples, and it was Sunday, and I didn't really want a whole pie, so apple turnovers it is!

I'm afraid that the thing that made this crust perfect will be the fact that it was just throwing together dinner at home with leftovers. If I'd been making a pie for a church social, it would have fallen apart, even if I used the exact same technique.

Food reminded me of another one. (I am such a dork.) A fan site had a contest to do something from Once in food. You were supposed to use Peeps. The was Regina's nightmare from the end of season 1. 

file-10.jpg

Edited by MedievalGirl
  • Love 2

My apple turnovers were very yummy, and fortunately I didn't need a True Love's Kiss to recover, as I don't have one, except maybe my parents. The pie crust was even better than the one I made the other night. But some of my friends have said there's something about the atmospheric conditions right now that makes it good weather for pie crust. I think I'll need to continue experimenting to see if this is true. After I finish eating this batch.

Apple turnovers sound good, it's definitely apple/baking weather here.  I was actually going to knit during the episode, but the pattern needed me to change needles to a size I don't have.  But at least I'm kind of inspired now to bake and/or knit.

Oh dear. I bought more yarn today. I don't need more yarn, as I inherited a rather epic yarn stash. But they had that "fun fur" yarn on clearance, in sapphire blue, and it occurred to me that I could make a scarf like that weird muppet fur blue collar on Regina's coat last season. And I don't even like Regina (though I do like her sense of style). So, yeah, I already have three projects in the works and I've added another. In my defense, most of the stuff I knit is very complicated lace, so I can't knit easily while watching TV if I care about what's happening on the show or don't want to unpick a row or two. Using this yarn requires a basic garter stitch, so I can knit without even looking at it or thinking about it. Now all I need are some red leather gloves, and then I can be full-on Regina this winter in my black coat. Then I can stop taking responsibility for my own actions and freak out about every little thing that happens to me as though it's the worse pain any human being has ever suffered. It's fitting, since I do most of my stress knitting during Regina scenes. The scarf will be imbued with essence of Regina.

I did have a bright blue winter coat, so all my accessories were black, but since the new coat is black, I need some colorful accessories.

• Love 1

I feel your pain! I have a knitting project bag bookmarked on Etsy that is made out of pirate fabric. That's close enough to Captain Hook, right? I don't need more project bags, but it's pirates and it's half off so, you know. Argh, mateys! This be a tough decision.

I recommend Aly Jones on YouTube for videos. She makes crack videos for every episode and some other OUAT videos. I specially recommend these two:

everybody wants to rule the world

human

Her crack videos are always pretty hilarious.

This is one of my favorite of hers though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inRGDmOenUQ&list=LL-hxZY97hL2VCUIwRA-3K3g&index=29

And there's this one, Captain Swan one which I think it really awesome and can't go wrong with Yiruma when it comes to music either

And this one, Hook which I always found super funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyqh6w1kd-M&index=22&list=LL-hxZY97hL2VCUIwRA-3K3g

That actually doesn't look too complicated. I'd die of boredom doing something that big in just garter stitch (though it would be good for watching TV), and I can think of some better ways to put the border on, but then I like to make things difficult.

But next time I need to make a baby blanket, I may give this one a try. There may be some Project Linus kids or charity hospital newborns getting Emma blankets. Once I'm doing knitting hats for the homeless for Christmas. And there's a shawl I want to make for myself after that.

I've done the "I'm going to die from garter stitch" baby blanket before and this definitely looks like a quick and easy knit. I didn't check the needle size or yarn but I'm assuming it's quite a bit of chunky stuff. So yea, quick and easy but boring. Definitely a TV knit.

Hey, I'm Charming! That's a lot better than the last "Which Once Character Are You?" quiz I took. I got freaking Neal. I immediately killed myself. Then I revived myself, changed an answer I was iffy on, and got Belle instead.

• Love 1

I was afraid I'd get Belle, but I suspect I ended up as Ruby because when they had the "pick the picture you like" ones, I always went for the ones involving forests because I love forests. The woods are my happy place.

Come to think of it, I do wear a lot of red, I have a red hoodie and a red hooded cape and have frequently dressed as Red Riding Hood for costume parties (because I have the cape). So maybe it's not too far off.

• Love 1

I'm moving this over from the Relationships thread...

I've been listening to Christina Perri lately, and holy wow, I think her song Arms is even more of a Captain Swan song than The Words is.

I never thought that you would be the one to hold my heart
But you came around and you knocked me off the ground from the start

You put your arms around me
And I believe that it's easier for you to let me go
You put your arms around me and I'm home

How many times will you let me change my mind and turn around?
I can't decide if I'll let you save my life or if I'll drown

I hope that you see right through my walls
I hope that you catch me 'cause I'm already falling
I'll never let a love get so close
You put your arms around me and I'm home

This is a pretty good fan-made music video featuring the song. Of course I always have some different scenes in mind to go with the lyrics, but the maker did a pretty good job, especially with the "change my mind and turn around" part.

• Love 1

I was afraid I'd get Belle, but I suspect I ended up as Ruby because when they had the "pick the picture you like" ones, I always went for the ones involving forests because I love forests. The woods are my happy place.

I picked Forest and I got August, LOL.

I'm moving this over from the Relationships thread...

I've been listening to Christina Perri lately, and holy wow, I think her song Arms is even more of a Captain Swan song than The Words is.

This is a pretty good fan-made music video featuring the song. Of course I always have some different scenes in mind to go with the lyrics, but the maker did a pretty good job, especially with the "change my mind and turn around" part.

That was a really well done video. Very nice.