Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

What's with the random grey rectangle behind Ursula?

I have no clue.  It's darkish?  And they're the "Queens of Darkness"?

These were professionally done?  Yikes.  It'd be one thing if they were forwarding fanmade items, with a "Look how awesome our fans are!" tags, but this is just sad and a little pitiful.

These were professionally done? Yikes. It'd be one thing if they were forwarding fanmade items, with a "Look how awesome our fans are!" tags, but this is just sad and a little pitiful.

I've seen fanmade posters that are ten thousand times better than that. There are some girls in the fandom in Tumblr who can do a better poster with their eyes closed.

• Love 2
(edited)

Cruella's poster. I'm speechless, and not in a good way.

Gaah -my eyes!  It burns!  I think a preschooler with a crayon could create something less terrible than that...thing.  Atrocious.

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 2

I really wouldn't be surprised if young interns aren't creating these posters. The minimalist one with the octopus legs isn't that bad, except for the bevel and shadow on the font. A lot of young designers haven't yet learned that sometimes less is better!

A contestant on Wheel of Fortune must watch Once.

There's no happily ever after here. On a recent episode of "Wheel of Fortune," a contestant likely should have thought twice before deciding to solve a Disney puzzle. Though the answer was clearly the names of seven dwarfs from "Snow White," one in particular tripped her up.

In the contestant's defense, it's not like she forgot how the game worked or fell down or anything. Really, her only wrongdoing was perhaps not watching enough Disney movies. And, of course, thinking there was a dwarf named "Sneaky," spelled with two Es. That was a big problem, too.

(edited)

Here's a pic from GMA. She looks cute. They have posters of those dreadful S3 promo pics, though.

I wonder if her appearance on SM is already on YouTube? Off to look!

EDIT: the videos are on SM's official YouTube channel, very easy to find.

Edited by Serena

TV Line OUAT Characters We Want Back

I will let you all decide if you agree with this list or not. Some "gems" though:

NEAL

...the con man for so long was separated from first love Emma - first by the Dark Curse, then by circumstance and his seeming fatal plunge through a portal.

Once again friendly reminder to the writer of this article (and hell while we're at it the show writers too) that the "circumstance" was that he left his underage girlfriend to take the fall and go to jail for the crimes he committed...because Pinocchio told him to. Also, the Dark Curse never separated those two...unless by "Dark Curse" you again mean Neal's inability to take responsibility for any of his own shitty life choices.

SHERIFF GRAHAM

His death, though tragic and premature, demonstrated early on Regina's ruthless potential.

...and was never addressed again!

• Love 5
Once again friendly reminder to the writer of this article (and hell while we're at it the show writers too) that the "circumstance" was that he left his underage girlfriend to take the fall and go to jail for the crimes he committed...because Pinocchio told him to. Also, the Dark Curse never separated those two...unless by "Dark Curse" you again mean Neal's inability to take responsibility for any of his own shitty life choices.

I usually avoid the comments section of TVline like the plague, but this time I had to comment. Matt got Nealfire's history with Emma completely wrong and it's was downright offensive. They were most certainly not separated first by The Dark Curse. That's just an outright lie. Nealfire left her on purpose and of his free own will. There wasnt a gun to his head. He screwed Emma over because he was a GD coward. August tells Nealfire that he'll "have to make a choice" and Nealfire made his choice - he sent Emma to prison and never looked back. It was crystal clear and this rewriting of history is insulting. Effing BS, is what it is.

It's like they (these media journos covering the show and these disingenuous show writers ) are willfully lying about what actually happened to make the character seem less like a giant seeping douchebag that he really was. 

I usually like how Matt writes his articles (he seems generally fair minded and calls show writers out on retcons (usually) when he sees them), but he just lost a lot of points with me with that garbage.

Edited by FabulousTater
  • Love 2

According to the video, Zelena was a weak Wicked Witch (especially the reason she became green), but at least better than the Miss Piggy and Mila Kunis versions. And I agree, especially about the Mila Kunis part. Good lord, just watching clips from the movie in that video made me cringe, the performance was AWFUL.

Edited by Mathius

According to the video, Zelena was a weak Wicked Witch (especially the reason she became green), but at least better than the Miss Piggy and Mila Kunis versions. And I agree, especially about the Mila Kunis part. Good lord, just watching clips from the movie in that video made me cringe, the performance was AWFUL.

Haven't seen the miss piggy version, but I'll agree about the Mila Kunis version.

I didn't mind the "green with envy" thing, it's just that they didn't do a very good job backing it up? Like, we should have seen more of Zelena's "miserable" life and a few more moments of her seeing how "great" Regina's life was to rub it in a little more.

• Love 1

Here are the six (six!) interviews so far that Colin has done, thanks to this tumblr post. They do contain spoilers.

Variety - ‘Once Upon a Time’ Star Colin O’Donoghue Talks Hook’s Complicated Past with Ursula

TV Line - Once Upon a Time’s Colin O’Donoghue Talks Hook’s Secret (Will It Cost Him Emma?), Answers Some Burning Qs

TV Guide - Once Upon a Time’s Colin O’Donoghue: Hook and Emma Will Be Tested

Hollywood Reporter - ’Once Upon a Time’ Stars on Hook and Ursula’s “Soul-Crushing” History

TV Fanatic - Colin O’Donoghue Teases Hook/Ursula Past, Captain Swan Troubles & More!

ET - ‘Once Upon a Time’: Colin O’Donoghue on Captain Swan ‘I Love Yous’, Hook’s Heroic Goals & More!

• Love 6

So glad they had Colin do all of these to give a push for this week's episode. Although I felt bad reading the ET interview -- poor Colin seemed a bit thrown off when Leanne explained what "coffee" means to the Captain Swan fans.

I saw that later. I guess I was thinking more about Colin getting embarrassed easily -- it's so precious -- and the "Oh! Oh, I didn't know that," followed by a laugh was just so adorkable. :)

• Love 2

I'm sure all of these interviews are recorded. I wish they would post the audio! I suppose it's harder to edit audio than it is a transcript, but Colin doesn't do enough video/audio interviews and I just want to hear his natural accent more, damnit.

• Love 3

Even in the transcripts, you can "hear" Colin's accent in the cadence of his words and phrasing. Though I wish whoever did the transcribing on some of those sites had a better grasp of the English language. They're not well edited or proofread.

And you know he turned some interesting shades of red at the "coffee" revelation. Bless his heart. (I do the same thing, so I sympathize.)

• Love 2

TVLINE | Tell me, what are the living arrangements for Hook and Emma right now? Is she crashing with him..?

No, I think she’s still living with Mary Margaret and David; Hook is obviously crashing at Granny’s.

TVLINE | Paying what rent? And how does he make rent? Do we know? Is there any kind of an economy in Storybrooke??

I don’t know, but I don’t think Granny needs rent because she must make so much money from being the only place that people go to eat! [Laughs] Plus, I’m sure Hook has probably got a couple of doubloons tucked away somewhere.

It's kind of sad that Colin doesn't even know for certain where Emma lives or how he how he pays rent at Granny's because the show never bothers to explain basic world-building ideas like that. It's actually not obvious Hook lives at Granny's because we've never been shown his room or been given a throwaway line about where he sleeps or how he pays for things like rent. (Unless you count that line he says to David about still playing with doubloons.) God, TS;TW.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

I find this to be very interesting:

https://twitter.com/onceabc/status/579719446157242368

Have any of the other episodes gotten their own special poster?

It looks like they seem to be pushing this episode more than usual compared to the others. Or is it just me thinking that? You have Colin, Merrin, Jen, Joanna, Ernie Hudson, Victoria all mentioning it (granted they're all in the episode) You've got the usual script teases. Colin had 7(right?) interviews. There was an eighth interview with Lana about nothing to do with the ep by she-who-must-not-be-named.

And then this new poster/graphic.

It feels like they might be trying for an increase in ratings (which of course, I want this episode to do well).

• Love 1

Well I'm sure they always want to increase ratings, but they're probably hoping that this particular episode will lure in viewers because it features a very popular Disney story. I note a lot of the interviews and social media stuff in the lead-up has made a point of stressing that (minor spoiler)

Joanna Garcia/Ariel will be in the ep, and I'm sure that is something ABC marketing asked the actors to mention, because, let's face it, the average person cares more about the little mermaid herself than Ursula

. I'll bet they do a similar push for the Cruella centric.

4B's storyline is so convoluted (

and is only going to get more vastly more convoluted, based on spoilers

), so I guess they have to latch onto the things that are accessible for lapsed and casual viewers as well as the media.

They didn't bother to last week for Maleficent's one?  Good thing, I guess, since Sleeping Beauty fans would likely have been deeply disappointed.

They would have likely fallen into a coma.  Last week was Regina centric, not Maleficent centric.

• Love 4

I think Hook's stories just generally tend to be one off kind of tales. He's not tied into the whole convoluted fairy tale family tree, so his stories are easier for a casual viewer to watch. You've got pirates, you've got Ursula, you've got a Ghostbuster. It's fun that doesn't require a whole lot of knowledge other than this show is nuts, so just go with it. If you want to bring in new viewers or those who've been out for a while, you need to pick an episode that isn't so plot heavy.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 3

So cool! It's also interesting to see the different prices of the autographs and m&g. I wonder who sets those? I mean, I love Jen, but I would never pay money for an autograph. Especially since I got one of hers for free once upon a time! (somehow, she thought my name was spelled Ferena, but oh well).

Edited by Serena

Ok so I am fan girling big time right now as I am going to the convention! Serena I am one of those people who is willing to pay for an autograph - I live in Ireland so this is probably the only time I'll ever meet these actors and I know I'll prob regret it later if I don't get an autograph and picture...

• Love 5

I wonder who sets those?

The convention runners. The actors get paid upfront to show up and do whatever by the convention. The convention recoup those costs and makes a profit by charging the attendees.

It depends on the convention and on the contract. Some celebrities do get to set their own rates or at least suggest them. Sometimes the deal with the convention is that the convention guarantees a certain amount in autographs to cover the appearance fee. If the celeb doesn't sell that many autographs, the convention makes up the difference. So the convention would cover the travel costs up-front and then instead of a flat appearance fee would guarantee a certain amount in autograph and/or photo fees. The convention might take a percentage of what's being charged in those fees, but the celeb is guaranteed to make at least however much, even if it's the convention writing the check. They might get more if they exceed the minimum. Other conventions may handle it differently and just pay a flat appearance fee. But that flat fee can be big enough that many conventions can't afford to do it up-front and have to do it as a percentage of autograph income.

That's a great lineup. The Frozen trio, too! Interesting that Jen & Colin command the highest fee. If I were ungodly wealthy, I'd pay for a photo with Colin. But only at an ungodly level of wealth -- which I will never have access to barring a lottery win.

Colin's also doing the convention in Rio June 27-28, so he'll be doing some traveling.