Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

Once's marketing tries too hard to appease adults. It over-dramatizes the actual show to make it look much more intense than it is. The show however is far from a serious drama. That might have worked in S1, but nowadays the show gets most of its charisma from the cartoony characters and fangirl-friendly ships. They really should be focusing more on the ridiculousness and start trying to appeal to families more.

There's a big difference between the past Once ads we've seen where it's usually just a quick shot of Adam & Eddy's new play toy walking down the road with a deep voiceover in the background

Ominous characters walking on roads just isn't interesting in the context. It just has viewers thinking, "Oh great, they've introduced another random iconic character."

You could get Jennifer and Colin to play Emma and Hook for a cheesy promo where she explains how Netflix or Hulu works, since that's actually a scene that could happen in Offscreenville. All you'd need to do is film them sitting on a couch together watching TV (and ABC could cross promote their other shows by having the only options that pop up on screen be The Bachelor, Dancing with the Stars, Shark Tank, or Modern Family) with Emma explaining how to use the search function on the remote. I

I would love to see this as a promo, a DVD extra, anything, really.  I think it would be fun if they were watching Disney's Peter Pan, too.  Colin could make a great 'reaction face' when Killian sees cartoon Hook for the first time.  Disney is releasing 101 Dalmations Diamond edition on DVD, so they could work that in somehow also.

• Love 1

I actually think that Forever might be a good network candidate for cross promotion, though it would probably help Forever more to be paired up with Once Upon a Time than vice versa (not that I'd mind because I'm gradually falling madly in love with Forever). They both have a fantasy element and both involve flashbacks as an integral part of the storytelling. Both involve a man who looks thirtysomething but who is actually more than 200 years old. There's also the family that's out of whack, age-wise. They could team Henry Morgan from Forever up with Hook to compare notes on adapting to modern times, or they could contrast the two immortals, Henry Morgan with Rumple, one who wants to just be able to age normally and then die and one who'll do anything to hang onto power and immortality. Or the Charmings and Henry and Abe could talk about children who are the same age as or seemingly older than their parents.

• Love 2

And Adam is kind of Rumple.... That's a brilliant idea, Shanna Marie! It really would work and would be a lot of fun. God, I would love to see that. Though Ioan and Colin on the screen at the same time might kill me via spontaneous combustion. Ioan Gruffudd has been on my laminated list since Horatio Hornblower!

[OT]Sadly, I'm pretty sure this will be the only season of Forever we get. I'm trying to just be happy that I'm getting 22 doses of weekly Ioan.[OT]

Edited by Souris

These posters are amateur hour.  They look something I would produce because I plain suck at anything artistic, just like the person who was actually paid to make this.

I really don't like the actress they chose to play an "ancient" sea goddess.  She looks more like someone from Real Housewives of Atlanta.  There is no gravitas.  Tyra Banks would have been more believable.

• Love 1

I really don't like the actress they chose to play an "ancient" sea goddess.  She looks more like someone from Real Housewives of Atlanta.  There is no gravitas.  Tyra Banks would have been more believable.

So far Ursula has been kind of bland, both in her scenes and in her costume. She's probably the Queen I'm least excited about. I agree they should have chosen someone with a more unique look for the role.

Lindsay Ellis is a web-video creator. For a long time she was "The Nostalgia Chick" a spin-off from Doug Walker's "Nostalgia Critic" webshow about taking a look at media from our childhoods and whether or not it holds up on adult viewing. Usually...not. Hence the comedy. She has a pretty good analytical spin on a lot of what she views, and she can be very funny, though she has sometimes has opinions I really don't agree with. She's got a lot more freedom with what she produces and when now, which should be interesting.

So yeah, it could be for Zelena, or she could be doing it for some other project.

SilverShadow is correct, and I'd like to add that Ellis is a self-professed low-grade alcohol addict and that's become a running joke as well, so Souris is spot-on for someone who had no clue who she was! Fret not, Serena, you might have no idea who that is actually because you're cooler than I am. ;-)

Still, looking forward to watching Ellis pit Elphaba against Zelena! Admittedly I never watched the movie with Jamie Franco, so maybe that Western Wicked Witch will win out, I don't know.

Edited by Faemonic
  • Love 1

Yikes. I was listening to a Nerdist podcast and Chris Hardeick was saying they do have guides there for celebrities and such to help get them through there park quicker, but you still have to walk through the crowds.

And I want to say maybe Jennifer Morrison mentioned when she was on the podcast that Ginny is a Club 33 member. It's uber uber exclusive -- the wait list is super long, but you get all kinds of cool things for being a member. The only way Jen even got in to eat at the club was because she knew Ginny if I remember correctly.

• Love 1

Link is just a compilation of shots of Robert with fans on a family trip to Disneyland earlier this month. I get the feeling he doesn't do the disguise routine too much (although I totally understand why Ginny and others do). He's pretty cool about doing photos or autographs when out in public, both on outdoor shoots for the show, and while he's out and about off duty. 

I don't know if this interview with Kristin Bauer van Straten (Maleficent) was posted in the Spoiler thread.  There is only one slight spoiler in the middle of the article (the first question beside that photo halfway down).

She sounded like she had lots of fun.  She said she avoided the Angelina Jolie movie so she can react to the words A&E wrote for her instead.  

She will fit right in:

I’m not sure how they differ, but what I enjoy playing — there were opportunities with Pam and Maleficent — is characters that are “evil,” but in my mind I make them not evil, but justified. I feel that you get many, many colors. You get the blunt, cold side. You get some humor. And you also see some thoughtfulness. I also look for their Achilles’ heel; their emotional soft spot that they’ve possibly tried to root out of themselves, but maybe haven’t been completely successful.
Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I agree with everyone who've said that Ursula's poster is better than Maleficent's. I wish they would have gone for more of the thorns rather than the green flames.

I hope Cruella's is just her surrounded by a bunch of Dalmatian puppies.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Hahaha, I thought there was no way the Cruella one could be the worst of the three. I was wrong.

What's with the #QueensofDarkness text? A different color style for every word? The black "of" is so distracting. If anything, shouldn't "Darkness" be the black word?

Edited by KingOfHearts

Woof.

And to be fair, the license plate isn't the designer's mistake, that's really what it will be on the show. I'm assume De Vil is trademarked by Cadillac and would cost some cash if they used it.

ETA it's actually Deville, which I should know as a former Detroiter. Point stands though -- it was a producer decision, not a poster design mistake.

Edited by sharky

According to a IMDB note, it was DE VIL in the first live-action film "101 Dalmations" and DEV IL in the second film "102 Dalmations".  Interesting.  

I wonder why they didn't give all 3 posters the same format, orientation and style.  I mean, why is this one horizontal and without the person?  Did the first intern get another gig?  Do they print these posters out and post them anymore?  Or are they solely for online publicity?  I think I've seen the one with all 3 Queens of Darkness in photos on billboards, but all these individual posters just for online consumption?

That promo looks great...it will be interesting to see something different then Emma, Regina and "those two idiots," banning together to fight another ridiculous villain with a mommy or daddy issue.  Having Emma flirt with the darkside could be really interesting...damn it, I hate that they get me interested and then they screw it all up!

And Rump is back in full villain mode...please no more two wuve Rump!

I guess Lana was on Good Morning America and Kelly and Michael. Sorry I missed it...not really.

ETA: Ok, I watched the clips. 

Lara Spencer: What is Regina's happy ending?

Lana: ...Right now she thinks it's with a man...or with her son.

Oh Lord, cue the SQ fans.

Edited by Writing Wrongs

There's no way the SQ fans are going to after Lana. They'll probably send hate tweets to JMo asking why she hates SQ. ;-)

I wasn't really impressed with either interview. Probably because it was nothing new for those of us who have been hanging on every word during this hiatus.