Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

The phrases "this joint venture has brought Jack and Kyle closer together..." and "It's fixed a lot of their problems..." pretty much show a chunk of what's wrong with Mal Young's idea of storytelling:

1. No pacing
  2. Junked-together action--dumb, even if we're in a soap-forgiving mood
  3. Instant "character" shifts--Kyle was maybe at best tapering off on crapping on Jack during the last two episodes, and is still charcoal grey as a character
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, pearlite said:

Instant "character" shifts--Kyle was maybe at best tapering off on crapping on Jack during the last two episodes, and is still charcoal grey as a character

I know Jack is always kind of desperate to be loved, but it’s ridiculous that he’d be “bygones!” about his only child conspiring with his mortal enemy. It’s like there was no point to the whole deep betrayal. It might have been interesting to explore Jack being stabbed in the back by his buttbiscuit of a brother, despicable ex-wife, and gnome in a short period of time followed by the paternity reveal. Apparently having a few drinks, thinking about pills and experiencing emotional distress is “going dark” in Malworld. Now we lurch into the next plot twist, the Chancellor crapola. If Jack’s “real” father isn’t alive, who gives a shit? To me, one of the points of a paternity switch is the confrontation/reunion between parent and kid. There is no emotional satisfaction in Jack going after a piece of some dead guy’s company as a substitute for Jabot.

I imagine those one million lost viewers were sucked up Billy’s blowhole.

• Love 16

Mal created Jack and Kyle’s “problems” out of thin air. And he made them so egregious that Kyle went to Victor with the most devastating information possible on his father. And then Mal insta fixed these problems with this asinine search for daddy. 

I did not buy (or get) Kyle’s rage at Jack. And I do not buy (or get) Kyle’s warmth towards Jack now.

• Love 13

Late to the party as always but it was interesting that Michael Muhoney had to tweet out denying all rumors concerning King. He asked that his fans quit harassing Hunter. Speaking of which, so Snowflake left and Bitchy Barbie took her place???? Really acting her mothers daughter. Still no good.

Kyle really is a garden tool! 

• Love 7

Summer is just a new character now. I mean wtf is this psycho manipulative vixen behaviour all of a sudden? After everything she’s been through (husband murdered at 20, bullying kid almost to suicide, crashing into pregnant woman inducing miscarriage), getting robbed apparently caused a personality 180. Lmao. Mal is a true hack. And also all this using her sexuality to fuck with poor Billy?!!??? Really? In 2018?? This 22 year old in HER OWN HOME is shown to be the perpetrator against a *45 year old man* who fucks her mother every 72 minutes  because “them women and their sexual wiles. Better watch out for them.”

Fuck right off, Mal.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, miamama said:

Summer is just a new character now. I mean wtf is this psycho manipulative vixen behaviour all of a sudden?

i don't think it's all of a sudden...just a case of nature...she grew up with a mother who acted like she is now.....

you know, monkey see, monkey do.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Summer has always had excellent taste in men. The auntie stalker, Prince Ravioli, the garden gnome... I suppose Nostrils McGee is just the logical next rung on the ladder of impeccable choices. 

Oh god. Then is the next step dwanpa? After all he was like a father to Sharon and she married him FFS.

• Love 9

Random thought....as always;).  Now that we know MM is leaving but Hillary is pregnant. Now I hate to even write it but they wouldn't do a TOCK on us again? right? I don't want to deal with TOCK right now. We have enough really shitty stories going already.

• Love 4

Oh god. Then is the next step dwanpa? After all he was like a father to Sharon and she married him FFS.

Wait, what? Victor's not like a grandfather to Summer, he actually is! Even Victor isn't that depraved. Yet. (And Phyllis would kill him, after she castrated him.)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

Random thought....as always;).  Now that we know MM is leaving but Hillary is pregnant. Now I hate to even write it but they wouldn't do a TOCK on us again? right? I don't want to deal with TOCK right now. We have enough really shitty stories going already.

Was the unseen Sam the last tick? If so, we’re probably due for a tock..Hilary has started with the pregnancy nausea/barfing, so I could see how they might tie that in with a miscarriage, even though it’s usually a good sign of a healthy pregnancy. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/18/2018 at 9:01 AM, miamama said:

Summer is just a new character now. I mean wtf is this psycho manipulative vixen behaviour all of a sudden? After everything she’s been through (husband murdered at 20, bullying kid almost to suicide, crashing into pregnant woman inducing miscarriage), getting robbed apparently caused a personality 180. Lmao. Mal is a true hack. And also all this using her sexuality to fuck with poor Billy?!!??? Really? In 2018?? This 22 year old in HER OWN HOME is shown to be the perpetrator against a *45 year old man* who fucks her mother every 72 minutes  because “them women and their sexual wiles. Better watch out for them.”

Fuck right off, Mal.

Pretty much any character is, to some extent, a new character at this point. One of the few sour amusements left is the astonishment/consternation we get to feel with nearly every line of dialogue any given character utters. Examples? Too numerous to recount, but start with Billy the Top Executive and Spokesnostril for Family Values, or Kyle WhatamIthisweek Abbott. And don't get me started on Sharon the WonderHorse, or I'll be back in the Dorothy Parker Piano Bar until the wee, wee hours...

Given that character-continuity is the main reason most of us are so attached to soaps, this is kind of a mountain of crap, Mal.

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, pearlite said:

Pretty much any character is, to some extent, a new character at this point. One of the few sour amusements left is the astonishment/consternation we get to feel with nearly every line of dialogue any given character utters. Examples? Too numerous to recount, but start with Billy the Top Executive and Spokesnostril for Family Values, or Kyle WhatamIthisweek Abbott. And don't get me started on Sharon the WonderHorse, or I'll be back in the Dorothy Parker Piano Bar until the wee, wee hours...

Given that character-continuity is the main reason most of us are so attached to soaps, this is kind of a mountain of crap, Mal.

Spokesnostril for Family Values!  Hilarious!  Let's call him Chimera Huckabooboo Blanders.

• Love 11

So this agent spoke to a soap blog about negotiations? Is this normally done? I don’t see it as a tactic that will help MiM. If I’m Sony I wouldn’t negotiate with an agent who spills. She’s not valuable enough to show to bother after this. Even EB has taken pay cuts. The genre is dying, not awash with $$$.

That said I’m sure she’s way underpaid compared to JT and others.

But alas it’s not the 90s.

• Love 8

The negotiations are over and both sides have moved on. And it sounds to me like the Y&R/Sony people were fairly disrespectful for years in their approach to the dealings with her. Given some of the unsubstantiated crap that I saw on several soap forums about whatever happened, I wouldn't have to try hard to suspect TPTB sent people out to try to peg her as a prima donna as an underhanded ploy. 

MM is young, beautiful, and can act. She doesn't need to resign herself to becoming a soap opera lifer who's stuck taking whatever scraps they're offered as the genre fades into the sunset. I'm confident there are bigger and better things in store for her.

• Love 9

I thought they’d moved on too but agent said he’s open to a counter offer. That’s what struck me as bizarre and misguided.

I agree she needs off soaps. Long term soap careers hurt prime time/movie chances. 

• Love 4

I can't believe MM couldn't get a raise! She can act and if she wants to go to another soap I think Days should sign her up as a recast for Lani. That would make that character much more interesting. MM has such a presence and the show didn't do right by her.

• Love 6
Just now, ByaNose said:

Tracey E. Bregman posted a picture of her walking her dogs. I usually only wear sweats. I guess I need to step up game.

Bregman2.PNG

Her character is so full of herself and I think IRL TB is the same. 

• Love 16

I’m just surprised that she doesn’t have her huge boobs hanging out to draw some attention on the street. Who sends a photo like that if she’s really walking her three dogs? I call BS and desperation.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, rcc said:

I can't believe MM couldn't get a raise! She can act and if she wants to go to another soap I think Days should sign her up as a recast for Lani. That would make that character much more interesting. MM has such a presence and the show didn't do right by her.

She deserves a raise for playing a popular character and being there 5 years. Newbie contract is usually between $400 and $700 on average per episode. there's folks on the show who can't carry their weight making twice that. She's better off away from soaps together and on to primetime. 

• Love 8

We got ahold of her minor's contract for the soap opera and Nia, who's 16, is making $2,500 per episode. She's already appeared in 6 episodes this year.

Unclear how long her story arc will run but, if she does return next season, her rate goes up to $2,800.

She's no stranger to the camera, having appeared on 7 seasons of "Dance Moms." TV experience aside, she still only gets 2 weeks vacation, according to her contract. Just like the rest of us.

5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Tracey E. Bregman posted a picture of her walking her dogs. I usually only wear sweats. I guess I need to step up game.

Bregman2.PNG

That's a dog-walker's uniform in Los Angeles … jk

TB has great stems. 

• Love 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, spinxella said:

Not sure I understand why this was posted here. If it's in reference to MM, does anyone here know how much MM was being paid? Whatever, this Nia person isn't an actress IMO so much as a performer. Her reality show roots are painfully obvious over on B&B. I've noticed that reality show people who try to do regular acting tend to be overly conscious of the camera and trying give big moments that'll get them more social media attention--often at the expense of their co-performers. I've seen this kind of stuff creeping into Y&R too unfortunately. (Looking at you, GT, a soap vet who should know better.)

she's a "name" outside of the soap world

She's a "name" mostly in the reality TV world. Maybe that's the audience B&B is going for but plenty of viewers aren't so much into reality TV or Dance Moms in particular, and have no reason to be otherwise impressed by her. This, IMO, is another case of soap casting people thinking the ability to act is a lower requirement than physical appearance or ability to bring in an existing fan base from other shows or genres.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

JT interview on SOD's podcast. My favorite part is basically a confirmation that I've always believed...it sounds like JT and GT overprepare in their scenes, which is why they come off as so forced to me 98% of the time. JT pretty much says Philly's "popularity" is less "natural chemistry" and more of how much they work towards it and go over lines and meaning and it's like...y'all gotta stop that. 

• Love 8

"JT pretty much says Philly's "popularity" is less "natural chemistry" and more of how much they work towards it and go over lines and meaning and it's like...y'all gotta stop that."

So he admits they have no chemistry. 

• Love 19

Hmm. Pretty interesting that this seems to be affecting only the female cast members. Supposedly, this is all because of a Sony's "no raises" policy over the past couple of years. It's a wonder that EB hasn't bailed if that's true.

• Love 5

Ashley annoys me to no end sometimes, especially lately, but I don't want her gone.  The Abbott family is small enough as it is and doesn't need to shrink any further.  On the other hand, the Newmans and that mess of Hamilton/Winters/Cowtipper just continues to expand like the fatbergs they are.

I'm not happy about losing Eileen Davidson one little bit.  

The Good Ship Young and the Restless is springing leaks the way All My Children did in their last years and it looks like, with AMC, only the rats will be left clinging to the life rafts.

Here's a "Who's the Daddy" storyline - is Pratt Mal's REAL father?  The similarities, and smells, suggest it.

• Love 21

MiM and ED would have other options (Housewives for ED I guess). EB would just retire so maybe he’s not ready?

I do wonder if people like EB and PB won’t retire sooner than planned. This show’s ratings are dreadful. And these two actors in particular seem heavily to be used as prop duty under Mal imo. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, miamama said:

MiM and ED would have other options (Housewives for ED I guess). EB would just retire so maybe he’s not ready?

I do wonder if people like EB and PB won’t retire sooner than planned. This show’s ratings are dreadful. And these two actors in particular seem heavily to be used as prop duty under Mal imo. 

Eileen is married to a Van Patten--very wealthy, and not from his poker tours. Years ago, while reading some studio-era history, I came across material about Dick Van Patten, by all accounts a smart man: the pet food, but more important, huge real-estate holdings.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Eileen is married to a Van Patten--very wealthy, and not from his poker tours. Years ago, while reading some studio-era history, I came across material about Dick Van Patten, by all accounts a smart man: the pet food, but more important, huge real-estate holdings.

Money is important yes but she may want to keep working. She looks great and based on her decision to do real housewives she likes being “seen.”

#ego

• Love 12

I, too, will be sorry to see ED leave. Always sad to lose an 'original' Abbott. Hope the writers don't take this as a sign to end Dina's story prematurely. 

Cue speculation as to how they will write Ashley's latest exit: I'm thinking it would be fun if she turned out to be the mole at Newman (THIS time) who leaked Victor's medical records to the press. I know it's an unlikely scenario, but it would be fun. It might make her character more interesting to me.

Also, maybe I'm just to conditioned from 14 yrs of watching Supernatural (where the most beloved characters can always come back), but I don't think we'll have seen the last of ED when she leaves this time.

• Love 9