Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Honestly, as much as I'm hoping Wonder Woman is a good movie, I think that article has a good point.  Considering how poorly all of DC's movie have been lately, I think being cautious is warranted.  At the very least it's a good idea to not pre-order tickets and instead wait for reviews to come in.

1 hour ago, Matt K said:

Honestly, as much as I'm hoping Wonder Woman is a good movie, I think that article has a good point.  Considering how poorly all of DC's movie have been lately, I think being cautious is warranted.  At the very least it's a good idea to not pre-order tickets and instead wait for reviews to come in.

I could not possibly disagree more.  If I didn't see a movie just because the critics didn't like it, I would have gone to the movies twice this year.  As a result, I would have missed BvS, which I liked; X-Men: Apocalypse, which I loved; and Suicide Squad, which I adored.  (Oh, and Ghostbusters, which I thought was great.)

I don't trust critics.  I prefer to make up my own mind.  I'll pre-order as soon as tickets are available.

• Love 6

I could spot the nauseating glare of the dumpster fire that was BvS from the first trailer and largely subjected myself to it because Wonder Woman looked to be awesome in the later ones. The teaser and trailer for her movie continue to give me an optimistic feeling about its quality.

53 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

I could not possibly disagree more.  If I didn't see a movie just because the critics didn't like it, I would have gone to the movies twice this year.  As a result, I would have missed BvS, which I liked; X-Men: Apocalypse, which I loved; and Suicide Squad, which I adored.  (Oh, and Ghostbusters, which I thought was great.)

I don't trust critics.  I prefer to make up my own mind.  I'll pre-order as soon as tickets are available.

Never said it works for you.  You can see whatever movie you want.  I on the other hand don't have the time to waste seeing garbage movies so I've found a review site that generally mirrors my own take on movies and rely on them to help form an idea of whether or not I'll see an movie in theaters.  Besides, when I say reviews I mean looking at what the reviewer actually says about the movie, not just the X/10 at the bottom (and I don't know what reviews you saw, but Ghostbusters was well received).

That said while I'm hoping WW is good, I'm not betting my money and time on it. 

7 minutes ago, Matt K said:

Never said it works for you.  You can see whatever movie you want.

I appreciate your permission.  *eye roll*  I was objecting to your wording:

2 hours ago, Matt K said:

At the very least it's a good idea to not pre-order tickets and instead wait for reviews to come in.

As if that was your recommendation for everyone.  Had you said that you were not going to pre-order tickets and wait for reviews, I wouldn't have said a thing.

Because mileage always varies and art is subjective.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Demented Daisy said:

I appreciate your permission.  *eye roll*  I was objecting to your wording:

As if that was your recommendation for everyone.  Had you said that you were not going to pre-order tickets and wait for reviews, I wouldn't have said a thing.

Because mileage always varies and art is subjective.

No what I said was based on that article it is pretty good advice to take a wait and see approach  (and seriously,  giving you permission, you're being silly, I was just acknowledging your point).  To make it easier for you to understand what I meant was for people, like the one who wrote the article, who aren't fanboys of the movie, taking a wait and see approach is best that way you don't waste time and money seeing a bad movie you'll dislike. 

And really my advise is good for anyone.  Why bother pre-ordering (unless you have to see the mid-night showing) you're simply gambling when you can wait till Thursday or Friday and see from the reviews whether this is a movie for you.

You can enjoy whatever bad movie you want (no judgement, there are bad movies I like too) and spend your money and time on whatever (again just acknowledging your point) but for people already burned by seeing 3 bad movies (which is a large number considering the sharp drop offs in ticket sales after week 1, my advice is especially apt.  Really if you don't like a series of movies from the same "person" then why bother seeing another without at least some inkling that it might be worth your time.

ETA: I hope I made it clearer to you what my point is and I'll leave it at that. 

Edited by Matt K
(edited)
6 hours ago, Matt K said:

Really it's simple. If Zach Snyder had zero or very close to zero to do with it, then it might be okay.  If his fingerprints are even indirectly on it? It's likely to have massive mistakes/problems in it.

Edited by Kromm

I saw that..  At best, it's a disgruntled ex-employee ranting at her former company, and I have yet to see any other mentions of trouble with that movie that aren't just quoting that article.  I'm not worried, but I also really liked the first three films.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I saw that..  At best, it's a disgruntled ex-employee ranting at her former company, and I have yet to see any other mentions of trouble with that movie that aren't just quoting that article.  I'm not worried, but I also really liked the first three films.

Okay. If you mean Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad.... then... well I respect your right to like them, but I do think that means our standards for Wonder Woman are gonna differ a bit between us!

• Love 3

I think the references to Man of Steel being a box office flop (it grossed almost $700 million dollars, roughly the same ballpark as Guardians of the Galaxy) and the Jungle Book remake being a bad idea (critics loved it and it's made just shy of a billion dollars) call the writer's judgment into question.

8 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I think the references to Man of Steel being a box office flop (it grossed almost $700 million dollars, roughly the same ballpark as Guardians of the Galaxy

MoS not only cost more to make, it starred Superman, not a bunch of obscure characters.  That's why BvS should have done so much better than it did.

So it's not quite apples-to-apples.

Edited by starri
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I think the references to Man of Steel being a box office flop (it grossed almost $700 million dollars, roughly the same ballpark as Guardians of the Galaxy) and the Jungle Book remake being a bad idea (critics loved it and it's made just shy of a billion dollars) call the writer's judgment into question.

That was a different jungle book that did well, that was Disney.  WB is making their own that also uses CGI and celebrity voice actors, but it got delayed for a while (I think over a year or more) because WB wasn't liking how the movie was shaping up.

Which kind of goes to prove WB has been having a lot of issues with their movies.

Edited by Matt K

Patty Jenkins responded to that article (really, it's an anonymous rant with one completely unsubstantiated allegation, so no actual news sites should have picked it up anyway, but alas...)
:

Nice that she worked in that lasso of truth reference...

• Love 1

That's about 3 tweets too many.  You wind up sounding too defensive if you give it that much attention.  A simple denial in one tweet and maybe one follow up would have been about right.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Kromm said:

That's about 3 tweets too many.  You wind up sounding too defensive if you give it that much attention.  A simple denial in one tweet and maybe one follow up would have been about right.

I have to admit I'm a little worried that she's actually replying. The "open letter" wasn't picked up by any of the MSM websites, if Patty Jenkins never responded, it would have disappeared in a week (or less). Now that she's reaponded to it, it gives it more attention.

Plus it does make me think she's being defensive which, makes me think there's some truth to the assertion that WW is a mess.  She should have ignored it, IMO.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

the Jungle Book remake being a bad idea (critics loved it and it's made just shy of a billion dollars) call the writer's judgment into question.

Didn't everyone love the Disney Jungle Book remake? The Warner Bros one is with Andy Serkis and hasn't been released yet. 

EDIT: This was already answered above. 

Edited by calliope1975
Need to read the whole thread before posting
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Patty Jenkins also said Suicide Squad was great...actually these tweets sound very similar, pure shock and surprise that anyone would criticize the movie.

One wonders if she actually saw the final cut. I mean she's in a position where she might have seen it before the panic cuts they allegedly did near the end.

I'm not surprised Jenkins said she liked Suicide Squad. She's not going to shit-talk the movie immediately before her own in the huge franchise she's contributing to, no matter what she actually thinks of the movie.

That said, I agree those tweets came off as overly defensive and she'd have been better served to just ignore the article. (Plus it's making me laugh that she's all "No one in the know is calling the movie a mess," because I suspect the WB totally thought that BvS was not at all a mess, too!)

• Love 3

I'm thinking everyone working at the WB is overly defense now. A movie with the two most well known super heroes should have had no problems getting in the billion dollar club. Everyone knows who Batman and Superman are even if they never a read a comic in their life or seen any of the movies. They can't blame it on the critics for having a hatred for DC. Everyone loved the first 2 Nolan DC Batman movies.  

They need to slow down and stop worrying about Marvel and write a movie. They can't just depend on the names of heroes. I'm hoping Wonder Woman is good but I thought the same thing about Suicide Squad. I enjoyed SS but it was a mess. For me that's 3 for 3 in mediocre movies. If WW is a mess I probably won't bother watching the rest of them in the theaters. 

• Love 2

My mistake about the dueling Jungle Book remakes, I assumed there was just one (personally I don't need to see a live action one, I'll always have cartoon Baloo singing "The Bare Necessities"). I do think Man of Steel was a fairly good success box office-wise despite the flaws that earned it criticism, though. It WAY outperformed Superman Returns, which cost about $45 million more to make, and was the #5 movie the year it came out.

Having seen Suicide Squad over the weekend, I'm not particularly worried. I enjoyed it, and can certainly see how Jenkins would be more enthusiastic about it. It had its flaws (mostly the writing for the Waller and Flagg characters), but I didn't come out of it wanting to go after the director with a tire iron.

I'll be watching this but I am very cautious about it especially if Zack Snyder is even remotely involved. Him plus DC has not worked out well for my viewing tastes so I won't be rushing to see this movie on opening day. I'll definitely go watch it in cinema no matter what the reviews say purely because we are desperately in need of more female superhero (superheroine?) movies.

49 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

I'll be watching this but I am very cautious about it especially if Zack Snyder is even remotely involved. Him plus DC has not worked out well for my viewing tastes so I won't be rushing to see this movie on opening day. I'll definitely go watch it in cinema no matter what the reviews say purely because we are desperately in need of more female superhero (superheroine?) movies.

To use a DC analogy, Zack Snyder is like Kryptonite for good movies!  Arguably it's been a steady downhill slide since "300" (I suppose that depends on someone's opinion of Watchmen, the Movie). 

• Love 2

DC will be doing a live stream of the UN event today at noon Eastern time at http://WonderWomanAmbassador.com .  Also, Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot will be doing a pair of Q&A's on Twitter and Facebook after; see the page I linked to for details.  Lynda Carter will be doing one, too!

I want a movie just about the Amazons defending Themiscyra. That was pretty badass.

But so was Diana on her own, so I'm happy.

Not sure how I feel about the wahwah guitar theme DC uses.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I want a movie just about the Amazons defending Themiscyra. That was pretty badass.

Hopefully that's just a small taste of what they're building up to in the sequels.  There's speculation of Ares being in this, hopefully he's just basically behind the scenes fanning the flames of World War 1.  And it's the beginning of the build to the Amazons and man vs Ares and his army.

You don't blow your load with Ares in the 1st live action Wonder Woman movie.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, xaxat said:

Right? I was thinking, "Forget WWI - I could watch the Amazons all day."

Stupid question alert: Is Wonder Woman supposed to have some kind of accent? My only frame of reference is from the animated universe, so that threw me off a bit. 

11 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Stupid question alert: Is Wonder Woman supposed to have some kind of accent? My only frame of reference is from the animated universe, so that threw me off a bit. 

Not traditionally, but I think they're trying to retcon Gal's accent in.  The current volume of the WW comic is streamlining and modernizing her backstory a little, and in the very beginning, when Steve crashes on Themiscyra, she can't understand him because she doesn't speak English.  Nor does she learn it right away.

Of course, they've also established that she's bisexual and I'm betting that particular detail doesn't make it into the movie.

On 11/3/2016 at 7:12 PM, JustaPerson said:

I really hope there isn't too much slow-mo in the movie itself cuz that's a lot of slow-mo. 

On 11/3/2016 at 7:22 PM, AimingforYoko said:

If that's the one sop Patty Jenkins throws to Zack, I can live with it.

Good way to put it. If that's what creams Zach's panties, and it's the only way to get him to GO AWAY and let actually talented people work on stuff? Toss him some stupid slow-mo.

17 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Right? I was thinking, "Forget WWI - I could watch the Amazons all day."

She didn't have an accent on Super Friends, and Lynda Carter had no accent (nor did Cathy Lee Crosby, but I'm still trying to forget I ever saw that).   But an accent adds a shade of realism and makes perfect sense to me.   She's not from around here, you know?