Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

So I saw the movie over the weekend and sadly I didn't really like it.  As background it was the first DC movie I've ever seen (I am familiar with the comics), excluding Lego Batman, and I was really hoping to like it.  But there were so many issues with the movie.  

The good: I really liked Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and this is the first thing I've seen Chris Pines in that he actually was more than bland in (including Talk Shows).  The stuff in London was pretty good too and I liked Lucy Davis as Etta (although I really wish they'd have changed her last name, being a larger woman named Etta Candy was quite groan worthy).  I also liked Trevor's group.  Trevor's sacrifice at the end was well done (although Steve Rogers did it better and it didn't make much sense to blow it up in the air, it was a gas).

The bad: Pretty much everything else.  The fight scenes were poorly done, the CGI was bad and there was so much unnecessary CGI, like in some of the fight scenes where Diana just fights some mooks.  Plus the big fight at the end was poorly done.  The timeline was also confusing.  So Aries fought the Greek gods and killed all but Zeus who stopped Aries at the cost of his life.  But then at some point Zeus gave life to Diana as a weapon against Aries and she started as a girl.  So the question is, did they fight Aries during the Civil War?  The movie made it seem like a long time ago, but then Diana's origin makes no sense since we see her as a kid, as an adult it seems like had aged like a normal person.  I didn't like that they killed off all the Greek Gods.  I mean I have no idea what the next movie will be about, but it seems stupid to effectively remove all the gods from all future stories.  Plus I hate Diana being given life by Zeus and not Aphrodite, Athena, etc and how she was made as a weapon instead of out of love.  My wife found the accents of the other Amazon's to be poorly done.  I also didn't like how, as soon as the Germans invade, the Amazons are taken out pretty easily.  I really hate, in the comics and other media, Diana's main weapon being a sword.  It seems antithetical to who she is.  The lasso of truth would have been much more visually interesting (and was the one time she used it in a fight).  And I really dislike he killing Aries instead of say talking him down (if you kill all the humans, then you die too as there is no one left to worship you).  And honestly, the plot was not much to write home about.  It would have been more interesting if Aries hadn't been behind WW1 and then maybe Diana teams up with him to try and stop it.  But hey, at least he worked for England and so both sides of the war were being awful, just like in real life.  

Overall I'd say it was an okay movie (that I'll probably never watch again).  I keep wanting to compare it to Marvel's output (which I'm a lot more familiar with) I'd want to put it near Thor 2, but Thor 2 had Loki (although otherwise, Wonder Woman might be the better movie).  I hope Wonder Woman 2 is a better movie.  A lot of what I didn't like came down to Zack Snyder's influence (the fight scenes, some of the cinematography) or DC's influence (Diana with a sword, probably the origin) so hopefully, now that WB has seemingly given up on a connected universe, Patty Jenkins can make a pretty good Wonder Woman 2.  Especially post Black Panther.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Matt K said:

The timeline was also confusing.  So Aries fought the Greek gods and killed all but Zeus who stopped Aries at the cost of his life.  But then at some point Zeus gave life to Diana as a weapon against Aries and she started as a girl.  So the question is, did they fight Aries during the Civil War?  The movie made it seem like a long time ago, but then Diana's origin makes no sense since we see her as a kid, as an adult it seems like had aged like a normal person.

I think Diana is ageless like the other Amazons or time just works differently on Themyscira.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I think Diana is ageless like the other Amazons or time just works differently on Themyscira.

I assumed they were ageless but still matured as quickly as a human would.  I guess that assumption could be wrong though but either way it was pretty confusing at the start of the movie (and it wasn't like it was hard to guess that Diana was the weapon).  That said, this was all unnecessary.  Diana didn't have to be a weapon made by Zeus.  She could still have fought Aries because she wanted to stop the war/bring peace (although a whole lot of good that did, i.e. WW2).  Either way the early plot of the movie was not great.  

• Love 1
(edited)

A great complement for a director, especially if that person isn't known primarily for a very unique look (re: Spielberg, Tarantino, Hitchcock).

Edited by Lantern7
On 2/28/2018 at 11:10 PM, MarkHB said:

Kristin Wiig is an interesting choice, but I think she could pull off Cheetah.

I never would have thought of her myself for the role in a million years, but now that I hear it she sounds perfect.  In an odd, almost comedic, "how did this happen to me?" kind of way.  I mean how serious is the character, anyway?  She has a tail!

I finally got around to watching this one as it is on HBO Max. I haven't seen any of the DC movies (minus the Dark Night trilogy) and love the marvel movies. I figured since I have time being currently off from work, I'll check this one out before (and well if) I see the new one. Anyhow:

I honestly don't get the big deal about this movie. It was just okay for me not terrible but not amazing as I've been told. Part of me wonders if this is because I haven't seen the other DC movies, so I'm not comparing it to shitty movies but instead to the MCU. So by MCU standards its on part with the lower tear movies such as the first Thor movie. 

Gal Gadot and Chris Pine did a good job with their roles. But besides that the other characters were forgettable, like I don't remember their names.  Then I was confused who "Lupin" was suppose to be, or rather pretending to be. It seemed like you were suppose to feel a betrayal or something. Instead, I was thinking who is that and why does she know him? I think they should have got rite of his character all together and stuck with the mad scientists as the major villain. That way she didn't kill "arias" but instead just helped them and her fight  & search continues. 

Also so why did Chris Pine's character need to die? All he had to do was destroy the plane and it wasn't even time sensitive as the enemy was long wiped out. So he could have just waited to have place to put it and then blew it up from a safe distance. Or waited until she was able to help him get rite of it. And better yet fly it toward the guy she was fighting and then jumped out. He wasn't that high off the ground, so he easily could have safety jumped. If it's about spreading the chemicals that the first option is best. At this point it was in their procession and they can properly dispose of it.  

I think this movie was somewhat entertaining with the she goes out to the real world stuff. And it took me way to long to realize it was world war 1 and not 2 lol. I however don't plan on watching the sequel as the reviews aren't great indicating it has the same problems as the first one and is also boring.