Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Lugal said:

I remember artist Alex Ross once said that Lynda Carter has had more influence on Wonder Woman than any of the artists that actually drew her.

Thanks for sharing this.  Actually gave me chills.  

• Love 1

Just a friendly reminder to those who may have attended the fan screenings this week, there are no spoilers allowed in this thread until the movie goes into broad US release on Friday, June 2.

I'm glad that early reviews are positive, as this is probably the only DC film I'll see in a theater for the next few years.

I just hope that they don't have those super loud drums from BvS playing nonstop every time she's fighting, because I fear that they'll give me a headache.

(edited)

I've heard a few reviewers on YouTube, people who I've seen as a little skeptical of the movie beforehand, go absolutely bugshit nuts crazy with their praise. A consensus seems to be growing that it's not just good for a DC movie, and not just good for a superhero movie, and not just good for an action movie, and not just good for a studio-made movie, but good, no... excellent for any movie. With a few minuscule flaws that are more than balanced out by the power and perfect implementation of the messages of the movie, both text and subtext, by the best performance of Chris Pine of his entire career, by quite a lot, by Gal Gadot simply fitting the role in a way that, to give credit to a man who doesn't deserve credit for much else, only Zack Snyder really foresaw, and by Patty Jenkins being a simply amazing director.  

One reviewer I saw said that she felt the movie was very old fashioned, in a good way, and reminded her of really good movies you'd see on Turner Classic Movies. Aside from the expected "exciting" reactions, the other more surprising ones are that the film is incredibly romantic, not just humorous as has been previously reported but also very cheeky and at times risque, and has very real and deep meaning. And another common comment seems to be that the action scenes are spectacular, but the non-action scenes are quite possibly even better.

The film industry is probably too biased against both action movies and superhero movies in particular to recognize this movie, but if there's any justice, this movie apparently would deserve Oscar nominations for the screenplay and the director, if not the film overall.  We shall see if that happens. That said, the Rottentomatoes score is currently 97%. It could fall, since only 34 reviews are posted as I post this, but that's a hell of a starting place on RT.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 15

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, since the previous two incoherent DCEU turkeys could have lowered critics' expectations so much that showing up with even a moderately well-made movie might result in glowing praise. But at the very least it appears my "please don't suck!" prayers have been answered.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Kromm said:

The film industry is probably too biased against both action movies and superhero movies in particular to recognize this movie, but if there's any justice, this movie apparently would deserve Oscar nominations for the screenplay and the director, if not the film overall.

Not necessarily. If it is Mad Max: Fury Road good, then it could get nominations for the the major categories.

• Love 2

I really hope the reviews aren't setting me up to be letdown. Some of them are actually getting me choked up, like the NY Times:

“Wonder Woman,” though, resists the reflexive power-worship that drags so many superhero movies — from the Marvel as well as the DC universes — into the mire of pseudo-Nietzschean adolescent posturing. Unlike most of her male counterparts, its heroine is not trying to exorcise inner demons or work out messiah issues. She wants to function freely in the world, to help out when needed and to be respected for her abilities. No wonder she encounters so much resistance.

• Love 4

OK but her getup is some male fantasy idea of what a heroine would look like right, with all the skin exposed?

It's one thing to wear short clothes for the heat of a mythical Mediterranean island but to wear that getup in London?

• Love 2
(edited)

Or maybe she's too busy to reevaluate her battle outfit once she gets to London, so she ultimately wears what she's used to and trained in, especially since the wardrobe options available to her in London are limited (one widely distributed clip shows her stuck in a big flouncy dress once she gets to London, wondering how a woman's supposed to fight in it).

Not to mention, several reviews point out one of the advantages of a woman director--the movie noticeably subverts the male gaze, never fetishizing her body or how she looks in the outfit.

Variety:

As skimpy as Gadot’s outfits may get, for example, Jenkins’ camera never leers or lingers gratuitously — Diana is always framed as an agent of power, rather than its object.

The A.V. Club:

the camera rarely ogles Gadot, no matter how much her wardrobe seems to have been selected for that purpose; Jenkins keeps the ratio of athletic might to sex appeal tilted in the former’s favor.

Or maybe the costume just adds to her awesomeness, and shows her casting off the standards and expectations of mankind's world.

Rolling Stone:

In London, Steve's secretary Etta Candy (Lucy Davis) gives Diana a makeover to try to pass the Amazon off as an Everywoman. The locals aren't fashion-forward enough to accept Wonder Woman's thigh-baring outfit, not to mention her lasso of truth, weapon-deflecting bracelets, a sword she names the godkiller and the warrior-taught-wisdom that guys talking politics are windbags. The rest of the world realizes that it is Diana's duty to stand out, to preach the idealism that has been obliterated by the horrors of war.

IGN

The film’s best scene comes when she decides to climb out of the trenches, dressed in full superhero costume, and walk headlong into German gunfire. That moment forms the crux of the movie, in which she chooses to ignore her doubters and instead use her actions to do the talking. It’s a galvanizing point and the film’s most exciting stretch as she fights not for the sake of a cool action scene but for the values and ideals that pump through her veins.

LA Times:

Righteous, single-minded and unafraid to tell off the highest members of British government when they demonstrate more political calculation than valor, Diana has a demigod’s certainty and a total immunity to embarrassment.

Put more bluntly, she totally kicks ass — and that’s before she strides into the trenches wielding a sword, a shield, two bullet-deflecting arm bracelets and the golden Lasso of Truth (imagine a cowgirl with a polygraph and you’re halfway there). The battle sequence that follows brings new meaning to the term “no man’s land” and has the power to fill even the most jaded moviegoer with primal stirrings of fear, pride and emotion.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 5

Just got back from seeing this movie it is an awesome origin story.  Gadot and Jenkins got the character right, Diana is so many things, a trained warrior, princess and outside of her home both powerful yet naive.  I loved Chris Pine as Steve Trevor he was very much an agent he was very much suave and debonair while as well being sincere and heroic.  It was not a "dark" movie like Batman vs. Superman it was light and beautiful in Themyscira and there is color and more natural color in this movie I liked this better.  

• Love 13
(edited)

On the whole, I quite liked it.  As a longtime Wonder Woman comics fan, this character has really needed a good modern live-action adaptation for a long, long time, and here it is.

Good Stuff

• Gal Gadot - the internet has basically been engaged in a multi-year debate over whether Gadot can act, and the answer turns out to be yes.  I liked her cameo role in BvS, and was sold on her as an action hero, but I wasn't entirely sure how she'd be with dramatic material, and neither her slim prior filmography nor the movie's own trailers offered much evidence either way.  She's by far the liveliest and most engaging DC superhero put onscreen in a very long time (which, granted, low bar).
  • Chris Pine - that he's a funny, engaging actor is well-known by this point (to the extent that a lot of people were worried that he would totally steal the movie away from Gadot if she was weak, which would have been a real problem), and he delivers again here.  Moreover, Steve Trevor is a very well-written character here, which is a feat, because literally generations of Wonder Woman writers have struggled with what to do with Steve, to the point where George Perez, probably the character's best writer to date give or take a Greg Rucka, opted in his reboot to made Steve a decades-older friend who marries Etta Candy just to end the constant struggle of what to with him.  The movie also wisely doesn't go the for common idea of making Steve's character arc about learning to not be a sexist pig, which really does not go well if you're also trying to tell a love story for what is meant to be a great feminist hero (looking at you, 2009 animated movie).  Relatedly...
  • Diana gets laid.  This has been an incredibly thorny subject in the comics, even in an era where most heroes (male and female) have been getting nooky for decades.  The film handles it in a nicely understated manner.
  • The "Diana in Man's World" element is played nicely, both in terms of getting some comedy without making her look like an idiot (the bit where she wants to rush over and look at a baby is my favourite, because, of course, she's never seen a baby before), and the more dramatic stuff is mainly well-written.  I appreciate that they included a tip of the hat to the then-ongoing suffrage movement, without bogging the movie down in having Diana spend a lot of time fighting 1918 gender roles.  Not that I object to the movies doing some more explicitly feminist-themed story points in the future, but I'd rather see that in a present-day sequel rather than invite contemporary audiences to pat themselves on the back because women can vote now.
  • The movie isn't afraid to embrace straight-up myth and magic, without any of the the Thor movies' desperate attempts to make Asgard a scientifically advanced alien race.  Though, granted, all the gods are dead other than Diana, which seems like a bit of a story limiter going forward.  But whatever.
  • The movie has two twists, one of which is so obvious that it barely even qualifies as a twist, the other of which is pretty well-handled (and works nicely from a thematic standpoint, particularly since the movie up to that point had basically been treating the German Empire as if they were the Nazis in a World War II movie).
  • Most of the supporting casting, from the Amazons to most of the people Diana meets in Man's World, are nicely handled (even if some, like Etta, don't really get much screentime in what will presumably be their only film outing).  Saïd Taghmaoui's Sameer was my favourite.
  • The movie looks really beautiful.

Quibbles

• Much has been made in the reviews that this is a much more optimistic sort of movie than the other DCEU films, which is true, and in isolation that's a good thing.  However...this really doesn't fit at all with what we were told about DCEU!Diana in BvS.  Her mini-arc in that film, such as it was, was about coming out of a century of self-imposed retirement.  She explicitly said that a hundred years earlier "I walked away from mankind".  Her arc in this movie is the exact opposite of that -- she ends the war reaffirming her faith in mankind being worth saving.  Which, relatedly:  where exactly have you been the last 100 years, then?  Some pretty bad shit went down.
  • Eugene Brave Rock has the least material in the finished product of the various supporting characters who join Diana's mission, but even what's there is underserved by Brave Rock's performance.  Every line reading from his sounds pretty much the same.  Points for having a Native American character in a non-Western, though, and having him mention America's history of colonialism.
Edited by SeanC
  • Love 7

Folks, I've put a Spoiler warning on the thread... feel free to discuss the movie!  As always, if there's something REALLY BIG, please use spoiler tags, but otherwise feel free to talk.

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, be warned: beyond this point there be dragons.

• Love 3

I just got back from Wonder Woman and I really, really enjoyed it.  Gal Gadot and Chris Pine were amazing and it's because of them that the movie worked so well.  It was a lot of fun.

• Love 7

So Diana's not suppose to age.  She was in WWI and then also showed up in BvS in the present.

But Gal Gadot is in her mid 30s?  A couple of sequels from now, she will look noticeably older.

• Love 1

I thought it was wonderful.  I want the studios to start fighting over Patty Jenkins.  She was the perfect choice for this movie.  I wasn't lying last summer when my reaction to that trailer was "TAKE MY MONEY".  I'm going again tomorrow and, depending on if my dad wants to go (not much of a comic fan but he likes movies), another show on Saturday or Sunday.  This movie is getting my money for sure.

Two sequences stand out for me because they got me actively crying.  The battle on the beach of Themyscira and No Man's Land.  Watching the Amazon women ride into battle against the invading German men and kick their ass with their older weapons was beautiful.  That more than the training scenes demonstrate just how fierce these women are.  Diana climbing the trenches and lead her team to the other side, kicking all the ass along the way, because she can't leave these people to starve and get slaughtered was beautiful. 

I can't wait to see it again tomorrow.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, scrb said:

But Gal Gadot is in her mid 30s?  A couple of sequels from now, she will look noticeably older.

She's 32, at present.

To an extent I agree that's an issue with casting immortal characters (compare David Boreanaz in Buffy Season 1 versus David Boreanaz in Angel Season 5), but with good makeup I don't think that'll be any more of an issue than it would be with an actress of any other age.

• Love 4
(edited)

Just got back from the movie and really surprised at how much I liked it.  Gal Gadot embodies the character very well and I was one of the people that remained skeptical even after her very good turn in BvS.  She's earnest, sincere, determined, tough and heroic.  I liked the relationship between Diana and Steve.  I didn't know how the writers would handle that but they did a very good job in making me root for those two despite what I already knew.   Gal and Chris had VERY good chemistry.  The relationship wasn't OVERWRITTEN into the story and had it not been for the ending, the viewer is left with little doubt that they would have been something very special (Steve's "I wish we had more time" summed it up very nicely).

Steve Trevor as the world weary but dedicated spy made a wonderfully well rounded character.  He was a great counterbalance to Diana's somewhat simplistic view of politics and people.   What I liked was that although he taught Diana, she also seemed to teach him as well.

The Villains weren't as memorable as they could have been but they weren't bad either.  Dr. Poison herself seemed to have a great deal of potential and I was sorry we didn't get more time with her.

I actually thought one of the best elements of the film was how they handled Diana's disillusionment with people in general.  She was so disappointed, that she momentarily DID think mankind wasn't worth helping.  By the time she had gotten Steve to believe that heroism in itself was worth it, even if you can only help a few, he needed to remind her of that.   I have know trouble seeing her as someone withdrawn when we meet her in BvS, she was hit hard by Steve's sacrifice.  If something is in front of her, she will always help but she left Themyscera with a pretty defined understanding of the world and she was shaken when that understanding was broken.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 8

I'm avoiding reading the posts in this thread so as to avoid spoilers, so if I'm repeating other posts, I apologize.  The nation of Lebanon has banned Wonder Woman, because Gal Gadot is Israeli.  And Rotten Tomatoes has it rated 92% fresh.

Saw it earlier today or... err, yesterday now, I guess.

Whelp, fourth time was the charm for the new DC Film Universe, because I enjoyed the hell out of this.  While it still had some of the feel that the past DC films did, I thought they injected the right amount lightness and humor into the proceedings, that worked compared the dreary Batman v. Supes and whatever the hell was going on with Suicide Squad.  That said, at the risk of being blasphemes, it actually reminded less of the other films, and more of some of the earlier Marvel Origin films like the first Captain America film (the war setting, even if there were different wars) and the first Thor movie ("the fish out of water" elements, with Diana trying to figure out all the weird stuff that mankind thought up of.)

I really enjoyed Gal Gadot in her first appearance, but a small part of me was still curious to see how she could carry an entire film, but she pretty much exceeded my expectations.  I thought she was amazing, and nailed every aspect of the character; from her toughness, nobility, and badassery, to her sweetness and vulnerability.  I also like that she and the film weren't afraid to make her imperfect at times, since there were moments where it felt like she was seeing the bigger picture and needed someone (usually Steve) to challenge her on it. But she was captivating in every frame she was in.  Honestly, I think this was star-making performance, and I hope this doesn't just help launch the Wonder Woman character into better things, but her as an actress as well.  I was just blown away.

Chris Pine was great as Steve Trevor, although I hesitate to say that it is his best performance yet, since I thought his best was still Hell or High Water, which admittedly was more subtle, but still powerful.  Then again, I always been a fan of his and felt like he got a bad wrap for playing an update on an iconic character that was always going to be hard to top (Captain Kirk.)  But Steve was one of the best love interests in a comic book film.  Gadot and Pine had great chemistry too.

Patty Jenkins did a great directing job all around, and I do think it was her touch that prevented the film from sexualizing Diana too much. Interestingly, it wasn't like they were avoiding it, because there were still plenty of shots of Diana in her skimpy armor and Gadot showed plenty of skin (and, yes, looked fantastic), but it's hard to explain, but it just didn't feel as gratuitous and "Hey, guys!  Check out the hot chick!" as past films have (see David Ayer practically attaching a camera to Margot Robbie's ass on Suicide Squad).  Really hope this film succeeds and not just gives Patty Jenkins more opportunities, but will have other studios finally start letting more women direct (I so want to see what a superhero film directed by Michelle MacLaren would look like.)

A lot of great fight scenes and action ones, but the No Man's Land one easily the top the list.  And the build-up to it was great too.  As soon as Diana appears on the field with that armor, you just knew shit was going down!

A few minor nitpicks:

The Themyscira were beautiful, but probably went a bit too long.  Also, while I appreciate them trying to have all the Amazons have similar accents to Gal Gadot, it felt like Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright were struggling at times, and it felt less natural.

Steve's buddies were fun, but a bit atypical.  Native American character is called "The Chief" and of course Ewen Bremner's character loves his drink, because that's just how it goes in movies if your Scottish (or Irish)!  Did like Sameer.

The villains were equally unsurprising.  I was unspoiled, but I quickly assessed everything and was like "Yep, this is how it's going to go.  Everyone thinks Danny Huston is the big baddie, but it's actually going to be David Thewlis, because its fucking David Thewlis.  Also, Dr. Poison/Elena Anaya is totally the secondary villain who will survive and be set-up for future installments.  Next!"  At least Thewlis enjoyed chewing the scenery when he got a chance.  And this was way better then Huston's last time in a comic book movie (oh, X-Men Origins!)

The final battle felt a bit like every other final battle in every comic book film, but granted, that is less on them and more on the entire genre.

Overall though, I had a blast.  I'm actually kind of excited (but cautious) for Justice League and maybe DC getting their shit together with future films, and Gal Gadot has went from "Oh, she's kind of cool" to "Holy shit, she's fucking awesome!" in about two and a half hours. Really hope it kicks some ass at the box office.

• Love 5

I loved it as well.  I've enjoyed Wonder Woman since I first saw her on Super Friends as a kid, been a serious fan of the character since George Perez rebooted her post-Crisis on Infinite Earths, and I think they really did right by her in this one.  I thought Gal was terrific (and I hope she gets a LOT more money post-JL as I understand that she signed for a pittance, in Hollywood terms, for the first 3 movies), Chris Pine did a great job with a well-written Trevor.  They played the fish-out-of-water stuff well while reminding us that Diana was learning a new culture, but she wasn't an infant (and she even gets to try ice cream!).  She's a total badass warrior but they don't let that overshadow her essential goodness, love and compassion, and at the end, as has been written elsewhere, it's not a "hero's journey" so much as it is a coming-of-age film.   Bottom line: this isn't a film like BvS that is going to have me mulling over its theological symbolism for the next year, and it's certainly not "crank some tunes and blow shit up" like SS, but it's easily up there with Batman Begins as one of the best, if not the best, superhero origin movies I've ever seen. everyone should be proud including the Marston family.

Side note: while there is no mid-credits or end-credits scene (although the "fancy credits" are definitely worth watching), one thing I did catch was that, between the songs list and the "Special Thanks" credit for the comics creators (George Perez getting the top spot that went to Miller and Jurgens for BvS), there's a mention of Lynda Carter.  I didn't catch what it was for, though, so I'm looking forward to looking for it on my next trip, but since she has been so steadfast in maintaining that version of WW over the years, I'm glad she got a nod.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Patty Jenkins did a great directing job all around, and I do think it was her touch that prevented the film from sexualizing Diana too much. Interestingly, it wasn't like they were avoiding it, because there were still plenty of shots of Diana in her skimpy armor and Gadot showed plenty of skin (and, yes, looked fantastic), but it's hard to explain, but it just didn't feel as gratuitous and "Hey, guys!  Check out the hot chick!" as past films have (see David Ayer practically attaching a camera to Margot Robbie's ass on Suicide Squad).  Really hope this film succeeds and not just gives Patty Jenkins more opportunities, but will have other studios finally start letting more women direct (I so want to see what a superhero film directed by Michelle MacLaren would look like.)

Agreed.  Gal showed plenty of skin but it wasn't gratuitous.  She just looked amazing and there was no reason to force that.

I too would like to see Michelle MacLaren get a crack at a superhero movie.

• Love 5

A lot has been said about Gal's costume but if you look at Lynda Carter's costume Gal is fully clothed.  In my fangirl dreams I'd love to see Wonder Woman and Captain America team up. 

• Love 8

Freaking excellent, just excellent.

The joke about the 1977 television series was funny.  It's the truth, and the worst thing about the show, "Just add specs, and all of a sudden she's not the most beautiful woman you've ever seen?"

Warner, if you want to make a prequel movie about the Amazons fighting Ares, you'll get no objections from me at all.

Diana climbing out of the trench, holy shit, that's up there with Superman unveiling himself to the world in Superman, Superman defeating Zod, and the Tumbler ramping into the Narrows, as kick ass moments in DC live action movies.  Heck, they just did a great job with contrasting Diana with World War 1.  You've got Diana in the bright colors, and as a symbol of hope, set against darkness and death.

• Love 9

SeanC's review last night hit most of the points I'd wanted to make. Overall I am very happy with the movie and Gal Gadot's performance, and look forward to seeing it multiple times in the theater. I hope it makes a billion dollars and finally gets the DCEU on the right track!

I thought there were some problems of scale and logistics once Diana departed for Man's World. Sailing from somewhere in the eastern Mediterranean to London in one night, German High Command's gala being held a few miles from the Western Front and Germany's top secret poison gas laboratory/factory, a solo American spy being able to circumvent chain of command and not only report intel directly to Allied leaders but also argue policy with them. I think the movie would have benefited from extending Diana's experience of the War both in distance between locations and over time, even if it was done largely in montage form like in the first Captain America movie. That film managed to give what felt like a realistic impression of the scale of the war, whereas after a while in Wonder Woman it felt like only a few dozen people were involved in the conflict and all of Europe was a quick motorcycle ride across.

My main disappointment was the big final battle. On a surface level, the extensive CGI made it look too much like a videogame, though at least a better rendered one than the last third of BvS. But more importantly, I'd have liked Diana's victory over Ares to be a philosophical one as in George Perez' classic run on the comic, rather than merely beating him with his own methods. I mean, Diana clearly voiced her own realization of humanity's good points and value along with its faults, but I wish she'd been able to convince Ares of her viewpoint by using the lasso to make him realize the truth. Talking the God of War into backing down from his apocalyptic plans would have been a more satisfying victory than zapping him into a crater.

• Love 4

Bad News: This wasn't the religious experience as I figured it might be. I mean, it is the best of the current DC movies, but that isn't saying much. The good far outweighed the bad. Gal Gadot basically pwned Affleck and Cavill, and her performance puts the pressure squarely on Marvel. In their defense, while they have a lot of heroines (including plucky multi-ethnic gals that have popped on the scene in recent years), there is no real "go-to" for the automatic movie. I mean, Carol Danvers was a bit of a mess before she was revamped and "promoted" to Captain Marvel, but her character hasn't been introduced to mainstream audiences yet. Everybody knows who Wonder Woman is.

It's a shame Steve didn't live, though he'd probably be long dead by now. That raises another question: if Diana never returned to Them. . . Thema . . . Paradise Island, what has she done in the past century? Did she fight more covertly in wars? Did WWII never happen because she beat the Allies to Hitler and shield-slapped him into a bloody, weepy mess? I guess we'll get a few answers in Justice League, which now has a high bar to clear.

Were there any references to comics? This was accessible as heck, but I didn't see any nods. I did like the story, which stands out among the many origins told and lives up to them. And there have been a lot of great origins, like the original, George Perez's take, Brian Azzarello with Cliff Chiang, and Grant Morrison's "Earth-One" graphic novel, which gives us an Etta Candy closer to her Golden Age counterpart, yet doesn't make her that annoying. That's a feat in of itself.

I also liked Diana being the hero and not being perfect. Killing the boss German and thinking he was Ares is a big example. Liked Steve not being the dumbass boytoy of the story. I probably wouldn't have made Steve's allies a trio of apparent ethnic stereotypes (at first glance), but they worked as well. Not a perfect movie, but it's the best shot at Marvel from DC since the Nolan Batman movies.

Just checking: nothing after the credits, right? I stayed until the main credits were over. I would've stayed to see what creators got thanked . . . I knew Gail Simone before she "blew up" and wrote Wonder Woman, and I'm tickled that she's considered one of the best, as well as the co-writer of the direct-to-DVD animated movie.

ETA: Add Greg Rucka's "Year One" story to the origins mix. Nice stuff there as well.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Were there any references to comics? This was accessible as heck, but I didn't see any nods.

Dr. Poison and Ares have both been villains in the comics (Dr. Poison was even an original Marston creation), but I didn't notice any specific references to comics I'm familiar with.  I did notice that Bill Messner-Loebs was included in the "Special Thanks" list, so maybe in a sequel we'll see Diana working in a Taco Bell.

I also want to mention the color in this movie: it's spectacular.  That's in no way intended as a knock on Snyder, either, because I don't mind his palette, but this is just more vivid than any movie I've seen in a long time.  I know they shot it on film, but it looks like they went a step further and found a big pile of unexposed Kodachrome reels and used those.  The colors are just that brilliant.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Just checking: nothing after the credits, right?

Nope.  And I didn't notice if Gail Simone's name is in the thank-you list (but I'd be surprised if it isn't).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

It's not, she confirmed on Twitter after people asked her about it.

That's disappointing, even if Joss Whedon will wind up using her Batgirl run for his movie. If you have to read anything from her, check out Wonder Women #124-125. Basically, Diana visits the set of a movie based on her life, and the Queen of Fables warps the hell out of it. So funny.

ETA: From CBR . . . readers suggest classic cover homages with Wonder Woman.

• Love 2

I just saw this with my husband and really enjoyed it. My only gripe is I wish they'd condensed the Them-whatever portion of the storyline down by about half. I felt like it dragged out too long and Robin Wright wasn't convincing as an Amazon Warrior. Once they got to Europe and the plot gained momentum, it was an excellent movie.

(edited)

Saw it today, going to have my review tomorrow but the two things that left the most impression on me.

Gal Gadot's beautiful brown eyes.

Princess Buttercup is a BADASS.

ETA: Third thing:

"I can save today, you can save the world."

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 13

Watched it a second time, and still love it, and I cried again even though I knew everything that happens. I don't particular like Chris Pine but he was great, and his death was heartbreaking. Will watch again with another group of friends.

I thought it had a perfect balance between the Amazon stuff and the war stuff. The scene where Diana holds Steve's hand is delightful, she's so sweet.

So, the thing that I talked about in my post a few days ago, that was bugging me 1. I hate in any movie where people don't tell the protagonist important information i.e. her mom didn't tell Diana that she is Zeus's legit daughter and a demi-goddess. and the godkiller Especially since she's leaving the island maybe info she should know. ----This didn't bug me as much the second time, I get it there has to be a reveal later on when she's fighting Ares.

2. This leads me to the other thing that I disliked, I couldn't follow the entire fight with Diana and Ares, there was too much going on and it was dark, and in general I thought Ares wasn't intimidating enough for a God.

But these were small things to me in the overall movie, so I can take it because the rest of the movie was excellent. The No Mans Land sequence is beautiful and I got chills again when it starts with her climbing the ladder out of the trench, to me that scene is iconic and I will remember it like I remember other scenes from movies forever.

Also, is that the new opening for the DC comics title card? I don't remember it for Suicide Squad or BvS. Do they have new logos for each movie? The one here was also beautiful with the comic drawings.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, dkb said:

So, the thing that I talked about in my post a few days ago, that was bugging me 1. I hate in any movie where people don't tell the protagonist important information i.e. her mom didn't tell Diana that she is Zeus's legit daughter and a demi-goddess. and the godkiller Especially since she's leaving the island maybe info she should know. ----This didn't bug me as much the second time, I get it there has to be a reveal later on when she's fighting Ares.

In Brian Azarello's New 52 run Hippolyta kept Diana's parentage a secret to protect her from Zeus' crazy jealous wife Hera who would kill the children he had from his many, many affairs. I like that in the movie it's more that Zeus sired Diana for the purpose of killing Ares, but Hippolyta didn't want to put  her child in danger. Her sister Antiope thought it was inevitable and trained her niece she'd be ready when the time came.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I hope there's a sequel even if Justice League tanks. While Diana's rogues gallery isn't that deep, they didn't blow the whole wad by using Ares and Dr. Poison. Off the top of my head, there's Cheetah and Dr. Psycho . . . though the former's name did pop up in The Flash. There's also Giganta, but she might be problematic, especially if the studio can't get past the original origin of her being a female gorilla super-evolved into a strongwoman.

ETA: In case you didn't see it, this is Lilly Singh as Wonder Woman in Epic Rap Battles Of History.

ETA2: CIRCE! Bonus points if she doesn't get cast as a would-be lounge singer like in Justice League Unlimited.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

There's also Giganta, but she might be problematic, especially if the studio can't get past the original origin of her being a female gorilla super-evolved into a strongwoman.

I doubt anybody would get hung up on that.  Things of that nature change routinely; hell, that's not even her current origin story.

The bigger (pun intended) issue would be that Giganta has never really been more than dumb muscle.

I didn't really know much about Wonder Woman going in, but this is now my new favorite superhero movie. And I've watched a lot of superhero movies. Mostly the Marvel ones.

It managed to merge my love of period dramas with my love of superheros. Sure, Captain America did WWII, but people didn't dress like Downton Abbey by WWII, so this is so much better when it comes to opportunities for gorgeous costumes. I loved the makeover scene and the gala.

I'm really going to miss the historical setting if we only get modern day stuff going forward. I hope we at least get flashbacks to what Diana was doing during the 20s. I want to see flapper Diana do the Charleston!

16 hours ago, Chip said:

The most gratuitous skin was Steve getting out of the bath. 

Hey, it was absolutely necessary for the movie to back up his claim that he's an "above average" example of his kind with unmistakable visual proof. Heh!

I also completely buy the Amazon outfits as practical battle attire and not just something they wear to look pretty (though they do all look amazing). I loved how in the makeover scene, Diana was completely flabbergasted by the concept of wearing something for its looks and not for its function. "How are women supposed to fight in this?" I feel the same way about most womenswear even today.

12 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Sailing from somewhere in the eastern Mediterranean to London in one night

Didn't they sort of explain that by hitching a ride with a tugboat? I have no idea how long any boat takes to go from the Mediterranean to London, though.

12 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

German High Command's gala being held a few miles from the Western Front and Germany's top secret poison gas laboratory/factory

The point of that gala was to show off the power of the poison gas, right? So it had to take place near the thing they intended to hit with that poison gas (I think the plan was to hit the front line and kill all the soldiers there? But the line didn't hold so they hit the village instead). I got the impression the factory is way further off from the front since it was day when they started heading towards it and it was completely dark by the time they got there. And then the sun was coming out by the time the fighting at the factory was over.

One part that did give me pause was - okay, she couldn't hear what Steve was saying to her before he went on the plane. But then when she was remembering it moments later, she could hear him perfectly clearly in her memories. How does that work?

Oh and my reaction when Steve was going for the plane: "Oh shit, he's going to pull a Captain America. Except he doesn't have superpowers so he is so doomed."

I didn't expect Ares to be killed, though, because check it out, we still have wars. I did like that this means mankind's conflicts can't actually be blamed on some god messing with us.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:25 PM, SeanC said:

Her mini-arc in that film, such as it was, was about coming out of a century of self-imposed retirement.  She explicitly said that a hundred years earlier "I walked away from mankind".  Her arc in this movie is the exact opposite of that -- she ends the war reaffirming her faith in mankind being worth saving.  Which, relatedly:  where exactly have you been the last 100 years, then?  Some pretty bad shit went down.

I hope there's going to be a sequel where that is explained. Maybe her faith in mankind gets shattered by WWII and then there's some timey-wimey stuff that makes it so she's been gone 100 years. Maybe she went off to some mythical land where time passes faster.

• Love 4

I've seen someone raise the point that if you fought to free humanity from the influence of the god of war and then saw them enact the atrocities of World War II of their own free will, you'd get pretty damn disillusioned.

• Love 17

I loved it. Definitely the best of the DCEU movies so far and I have actually liked the previous ones as well.

It's ridiculous that it took this long for Wonder Woman to get her own movie but this was worth it though. Gal Gadot really has made the character an icon once again and I thought Chris Pine did a great job as Steve Trevor too. I bought into the love story and they worked brilliantly together and as individual characters.

I didn't mind them setting it during WW1. I even think it works well with what they were trying to do here.

Patty Jenkins certainly has a great eye for detail both with the WW1 sequences and Themiscyra, which looked stunning.

Ares could've done with more screentime but I actually thought he was a great antagonist. Didn't mind Ludendorff and Doctor Poison as well.

Great slew of supporting characters like Hippolyta, Antiope, Charlie, Etta, Chief and Sameer as well, 10/10

• Love 7

I felt my usually post in the movies side of the forum but I just have to gush. This was one of the best 'blockbuster' movies I've seen in years and the best superhero I've seen in a long time.

Gal was amazing. She was so perfectly cast, she genuinely felt heroic and I liked that she was a convincing fighter (and runner- there's nothing I hate more than when heros and action stars can't run into a fight properly).

Chris Pine was also fabulous. He seemed to be having a lot of fun in the role of the rescuee who provides the emotional catalyst for the hero. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Saw it yesterday. I loved it but I realized I had a LOT to talk about so I decided to break it up into four parts. Here's Part 1: "Themyscira"

Loved or liked: Themyscira itself. How it's shot on location and the photography is sunny and bright. How most of it feels lived in and real and not CGI and sets. The depiction of Amazon culture and their sense of community. Connie Nielsen as Queen Hippolyta. Robin Wright as Antiope, Lilly Aspella as 8 year old Diana. Emily Carey as 12 year old Diana. How they got all the Amazons to speak in Gal Gadot's accent. The way they tell the story of Zeus,  Ares and the Godkiller. The other Amazons played by real life athletes. How they all interact with each other making me glad they got a female director. Seeing both sides of Hippolyta and Antiope's argument on whether Diana should be trained. The choreography and stunt work in just the training sequences. Steve's reaction to seeing Diana "Wow." THE BEACH BATTLE. The various slow motion shots of the Amazons fighting and being awesome(this time I don't mind them using Snyder's style). The subtle implication that the Amazon who yelled in grief after Diana and Hippolyta was Antiope's lover.  Steve trying and failing to resist the Lasso of Truth. The chemistry between Gadot and Chris Pine(I'll be repeating that one). "I'm above average." Diana testing how far she can jump first before jumping to the tower. Her delight on realizing how strong she is when she climbs the tower. Diana in her WW armor being shown in quick glimpses. No contest to see who will go to "Man's World" and Diana disguising herself plotline like in the comics or TV show. Diana's sincere need to leave because she wants to save people, kill Ares and stop this horrible war she's heard about. Hippolyta reluctantly letting her go. Hippolyta giving her Antiope's tiara with the star. The nighttime conversation on the boat. Steve being a gentleman and Diana having read 12 books on the subject of human reproduction, concluding men are essential but not necessary for pleasure!

I've heard people say this early section was too long but I think it was as important to Diana's story as Krypton and Kansas is to Superman's so I'm glad they spent as much time on her childhood and the Amazons as possible.

Like I said, I had a lot of things to talk about!

To be continued in Part Two: "London", when I have the time.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 10
(edited)

Just got back from the movie and I agree that it was very good. It wasn't quite as transcendent as I'd hoped and the RT score is probably a little high, but I totally get some inflation as a) this is the first female-led superhero movie and b) general agreement is that this is the first actually, unreservedly GOOD DCEU movie. THANK GOD IT DIDN'T SUCK!

I walked out of the theater being supremely impressed with Gal Gadot, who I'd never seen in anything before this. She managed to pull off Diana's innocence, naivete, earnestness, and optimism without coming off as childish or idiotic or gullible. That's much harder to do than it sounds, and so I really applaud her. Diana's gradual disillusionment with mankind was also very well done. Gadot just absolutely sold Diana as someone who completely believes in doing the right thing, and who can't stand by and just let evil happen--but then is so shattered when mankind, on a large scale, keeps making the wrong decisions. A very timely message. And so inspirational! After this movie you can see why Wonder Woman inspires the world, because Diana is so genuinely kind and sweet--her "Who would sing to us?" was such an understated but LOVELY moment. I absolutely bought that Diana has a heart the size of the, well, whole world. Gadot and Jenkins absolutely got Diana 500% right. And she was convincingly badass in all the fight scenes to boot!

I also liked Diana's delight as she discovered how awesome she was. The scene where she scales the tower made me smile. I like Man of Steel more than a lot of other people do, and I still think one of that film's best moments is Clark cracking a smile the first time he flies. That's how people who are discovering heretofore unknown awesome powers WOULD respond!

I've never been overly impressed with Chris Pine but I liked him here as much as I ever have. I suspect I would've liked Steve more with a different actor, but Pine sold Steve's dedication well enough, I thought. The Diana/Steve romance fell a little flat for me, but his sacrifice was moving, and I did buy Diana tearing up at the wall and that the picture would have meant so much to her. I actually wish we'd seen more of Etta with Diana and Steve--she was great!

I cannot tell you how much more of the Amazons and Themiscrya I wanted. So, so, SO MUCH MORE. I also do think that the movie lost something thematically by not showing Diana returning home at the end, even if she ended up returning to the outside world (I am assuming that she returns periodically and hasn't left Hippolyta wondering if she's dead for the better part of a century now...that would be a dick move). But really, I would so, so, SO watch a prequel of Hippolyta and Antiope and the other Amazons kicking ass in ancient Greece. TAKE MY MONEY, WB, but only if you get Patty Jenkins to direct it. Side note, the strong implication was that Antiope and Menalippe were lovers, right? I loved that.

The cinematography was gorgeous. I echo the praise for the battle scenes on the beach of Themiscrya and Diana's run across No Man's Land--they were so well done, especially the beach scene. In terms of her character and pure heroism, Diana's run can't be beat, but in terms of fight choreography and badassery, the beach scene killed it imo. But maybe the most beautiful use of color was also the most bone-chilling moment--when the German side used the chemical weapon on the town and Diana walks right in. That was both beautiful and heartbreaking.

Agree if there was a weak point, it was the villains; Dr. Poison in particular seemed to be begging for more material (I actually thought/was hoping the twist would be that she was the Big A, but alas). But I can live with that, since Diana was so awesome.

Overall very very good--a better and more interesting version of CA:TFA. I do agree that the DCEU seemed to take a page from Marvel's book in this movie, and it worked, they need to do that more. I feel for Zack Snyder's personal tragedy, but they need to take the reins of the DCEU away from him ASAP, because the Justice League trailer that played before WW looked so dreary, gritty gritty grimdark, and fucking BORING in comparison to this movie that I want to see it even less than I did previously.

Patty Jenkins did a great directing job all around, and I do think it was her touch that prevented the film from sexualizing Diana too much. Interestingly, it wasn't like they were avoiding it, because there were still plenty of shots of Diana in her skimpy armor and Gadot showed plenty of skin (and, yes, looked fantastic), but it's hard to explain, but it just didn't feel as gratuitous and "Hey, guys!  Check out the hot chick!" as past films have (see David Ayer practically attaching a camera to Margot Robbie's ass on Suicide Squad).

500% agreed. There was no male gaze in this film (and I thought Jenkins actually shied away from sexualizing Chris Pine nearly as much as she could have, as well--the bath scene could've been MUCH more gratuitous). Jenkins treated Diana like a protagonist who happens to wear a skimpy costume, not a character who exists to be ogled.

I want a sequel tomorrow.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 13
22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

This wasn't the religious experience as I figured it might be.

Was for me! Tears actually sprang to my eyes in the Themyscira training/fighting scenes, watching all those fabulous fierce women in flight. Gorgeous, breathtaking.

Gadot was wonderful. Pine leapt up several rungs in my Chris rankings. 

Yeah, there was a pacing issue later on in the film, and I could have done without the neverending Thewlis monologue, and I'm conflicted about putting Lucy Davis in a fat suit (she's great, but couldn't they cast an actual fat woman in that role?), but fuck, I wanted to clasp the whole movie to my breast. 

19 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I want a sequel tomorrow.

Later on today would be fine, as well.

• Love 12
(edited)

Sweet mother of Zeus, we finally finally FINALLY got the female superhero movie we deserved! 

I almost can't believe it was a DC movie. There was a coherent plot! Character development! Smart writing! Who would have thought?

Gal Gadot did a great job. And Chris Pine was great as the "above average" male. Hee. I love the scene with the confusion about sleeping arrangements on the boat. Thank you, Steve Trevor, for having the decency to see that a girl sleeping next to you is not a come-on. 

Loved the secretary. Her snark about "just give her glasses and she's not automatically the most beautiful woman you've ever seen" was spot-on. Diana would wear a sackcloth and still be a gorgeous demigod.

Knew Steve would die, but it still killed me. What I did NOT see coming was Lupin turning out to be Ares.

I freaking love that theme music. When it started playing with Diana throwing off the cloak and charging into battle...I was grinning like an idiot.

I said it before and I say it again: we needed this movie badly. It's been a crap year for women, and that alone made Wonder Woman worth waiting for.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 19

Well.  My two cents.  DC just can't help themselves from making dark movies.  And not just psychologically dark, but the absence of lighting dark.  There was absolutely no reason why every scene after Themyscyra had to be set in the nighttime or heavily clouded over.  Gal Gadot absolutely dominated this movie, and she did such a great job, but I wanted a little more sunshine, you know what I mean?

Did anybody think that that Amazon who raced to Antiope's side when she was killed was probably her lover?

• Love 3
On 6/2/2017 at 8:38 AM, merroni said:

A lot has been said about Gal's costume but if you look at Lynda Carter's costume Gal is fully clothed.  In my fangirl dreams I'd love to see Wonder Woman and Captain America team up. 

I thought that as well.  They could compare notes on their loved ones dying.

• Love 5