Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, Blergh said:

I know this is pure speculation but I wonder if a sequel will have Diana meet an even more well-known Zeus offspring- Athena and what would her reaction to Athena be? I mean, Diana is supposed to abhor war yet Athena was the Goddess of Strategic, Prudent Warfare (as opposed to Aries the God of Wanton, Cruel Warfare) and also Athena being the Patroness of Athens opposed any and all of that city's enemies- including at one time Amazons.

Athena and the other gods are dead in the DCEU.

16 hours ago, Raja said:

My take is that she left the world to go on its own way and sat out in exile and did not from interfere until the superhuman Kryptonians arrived and Bruce Wayne recruited her

We're meant to infer from BvS that Diana has been inactive for a century, but that doesn't fit the ending that WW has.  I kind of suspect that at one point the conclusion of this movie was meant to be more downbeat, because as it is, Diana ends up reaffirming her belief in humanity being worth fighting for, only to...not do that.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Athena and the other gods are dead in the DCEU.

We're meant to infer from BvS that Diana has been inactive for a century, but that doesn't fit the ending that WW has.  I kind of suspect that at one point the conclusion of this movie was meant to be more downbeat, because as it is, Diana ends up reaffirming her belief in humanity being worth fighting for, only to...not do that.a

the problem is that it would be human against human. Hitler might seem to be an easy call in hindsight, but what about Stalin and then up to Presidents Obama ordering drone strikes or President Trump building a wall?

2 hours ago, Raja said:

the problem is that it would be human against human. Hitler might seem to be an easy call in hindsight, but what about Stalin and then up to Presidents Obama ordering drone strikes or President Trump building a wall?

As we saw with Diana and the village, it's about people suffering.  She wouldn't ignore millions being slaughtered.  That's not her nature.

• Love 1

Watching Full Frontal on TBS. Samantha Bee is wearing a Wonder Woman tee. Just thought I'd mention it.

ETA: Lucy Davis (Etta Candy!) is on @Midnight tonight. I think Comedy Central will rerun it tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, doram said:

Maybe she was Winter Soldiered sometime between WW1 and Present Day but so far, I don't see anything that disputes the idea that she must have been kicking ass in one form or the other over the decades. 

In BvS she literally states "a hundred years ago I walked away from mankind — from a century of horrors. Man made a world where standing together is impossible."

(edited)

I know in the movie when Diana asks Steve after he gets out of the hot spring "Are you a typical example of your sex?" is a penis but I took it to mean her asking "are they all as ridiculously handsome?" So when he says he's "Above average" I think he's just being honest! This GIF is making it's way online today and I like someone on Tumblr posting a caption:

“I just want someone who looks at me the way Gal Gadot shamefully remembers she’s married”

Or this on Twitter from Gal Gadot fan acct‏

"Gal Gadot forgot where she was at"

tumblr_or6qqtGVjv1w7t1spo1_500.gif

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
(edited)

That's a cute gif, but someone ruined the illusion by explaining that Gal had just said something to the interviewer about the movie's themes and when asked to elaborate, handed the question off to Chris to come up with something on the spot and this is likely her feeling a bit guilty about it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion here about David Edelstein's controversial Vulture review and subsequent explanation.

Edited by krankydoodle
(edited)
19 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion here about David Edelstein's controversial Vulture review and subsequent explanation.

I've seen that review. I've thought about posting it, but just felt disgusted by it that I didn't want to give it the time of day.

And the fact that he has to explain his review when everyone else (good or bad) haven't had to, well, that says it all.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, the fact that the guy spends the first half of his review drooling over/leering at Gal Gadot--however much he tries to say he isn't--kind of tells me all I need to know.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
(edited)
49 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

That's a cute gif, but someone ruined the illusion by explaining that Gal had just said something to the interviewer about the movie's themes and when asked to elaborate, handed the question off to Chris to come up with something on the spot and this is likely her feeling a bit guilty about it.

Probably. This is a more fun GIF about Pine's effect on people, even other handsome Chrises

tumblr_inline_o4d6g76Ms21su0t3d_500.gif

49 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I saw it days ago. I was just like "Ugh, really? You're supposed to be a professional." Of course Armond White's was typically contrarian and troll-y so I'm not going to post it.  This is just as equally misguided take by Christina Cauterucci at Slate:

I Wish Wonder Woman Were as Feminist as It Thinks It Is

The writer is wrong on so many things. Of course people are going to notice how beautiful Diana is. It would be weird if they didn't. Also the person who says "she's the most beautiful woman you've ever seen." is another woman commenting that glasses wouldn't hide it. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

The writer is wrong on so many things. Of course people are going to notice how beautiful Diana is. It would be weird if they didn't. Also the person who says "she's the most beautiful woman you've ever seen." is another woman commenting that glasses wouldn't hide it.

Why is a woman being beautiful (and rightly complimented by it) suddenly so wrong now?

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

Yeah, the fact that the guy spends the first half of his review drooling over Gal Gadot--however much he tries to say he isn't--kind of tells me all I need to know.

The problem I had with his review is not that he didn't like it - we all can prefer different things - but the fact that he says "fans will be disappointed in the lack of ogling opportunities towards Gal...(paraphrased)." Uh, based most other reviews and fan reactions, that has actually been the most pleasant surprise of the film. And then he defended his review in his follow-up saying he actually praised that part. Huh? I guess he means, he was disappointed he couldn't ogle on Gal more, due to lack of boob and butt shots, but he has to hide himself on that group of "fans". 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 6
(edited)
53 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Probably. This is a more fun GIF about Pine's effect on people, even other handsome Chrises

Aw, my two favorite Chrises in one gif!

On Edelstein's review: Yeah, I wasn't sure if I had missed it, or if people just didn't think it was worth mentioning here. Wonder Woman is the first movie I've seen in theaters in a year and it was such a welcome, if temporary, relief to watch something hopeful and good-hearted at a time when real world events are so bonkers/anxiety-inducing/horrific.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 2

I enjoyed it. I won't go over the points everyone else did.

• I see a lot of women's empowerment talk but I do not get it. Wonder Woman is a woman in name only. She is a god and all her family are amazons. Real women can't jump in the air and stay there. In the last 30 years there have been many real and fictional women who were heroic.  Good movie but not a feminist landmark the way it seems to be made out to be. 
  • I thought Chris Pine did great in the role. Effectively providing the love interest (without being super sappy) and mentor that Diana needed at that particular point. 
  • I thought unfortunately the end was confusing. She should have come to the conclusion that humans were not good but for Steve who made her believe they were worth it and love made it worth it. But, then she walks away? The cheap 2 minute narration didn't seem to make sense and also seemed awkward.  Knowing that in just a few years there will be a WWII it does sort of seem like maybe she should conclude at that point that humans are not good.
  • They made a wise choice to have Diana a little nieve and simplistic but then learns her lessons the hard way. I enjoyed that no man's land sequence because she was so pleased with herself that she saved that village - just for the bad guy to blithely wipe it off the map. 
  • I thought that the way it was going to go was that Aries would have set Steve and Diana up to disturb the armistice unknowingly via their adventures. Then he could stand there and be like see these human's just can't help themselves. 
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, doram said:

Superman is an alien. Thor is a god. Spider-man is a spider-venom-powered freak of nature. Captain America drank a Super Serum that literally gave him a brand new body. 

But we aren't holding up Superman is a bright shining symbol of human male empowerment which I have seen all over the place for this movie.  It is just a fun time at the movies for males.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, BooBear said:

But we aren't holding up Superman is a bright shining symbol of human male empowerment which I have seen all over the place for this movie.  It is just a fun time at the movies for males.

I would disagree with this. All male superheroes are emblems of male empowerment. It's just that it's less noticeable because in our society, (white) male empowerment is taken as the default.

• Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I would disagree with this. All male superheroes are emblems of male empowerment. It's just that it's less noticeable because in our society, (white) male empowerment is taken as the default.

I agree. Look, if the ratio was even 60-40 male-to-female superhero movies, no one would be exalting Wonder Woman as the savior for women empowerment movies.  But because Elektra failed, it took freaking 12 years to have another female superhero movie again.

Meanwhile, most everyone agreed that Spiderman 3 was a spectacular flop (maybe not at the box office, but it was a huge letdown from the resplendent and sublime Spiderman 2). But did that stop them from making more Spiderman movies? No. In fact, they doubled-down on two horrible Amazing Spiderman movies. When that flopped, was Spiderman finally put to rest?! No. Marvel found the "need" and way to resurrect him again.

Even Marvel, who has long been considered the trailblazer in putting out good superhero movies, has bristled at the idea of a standalone Black Widow movie for some reason. I asked my husband why, since he's such an avid comic book reader. He said it's because BW really has no story on her own and she really is closely tied to Nick Fury that it didn't make sense for her own movie. I call total BS on that. If Marvel wanted to, they would have found a way.

So yeah, maybe the exaltation for WW the movie is on a somewhat exaggerated level. But when women haven't had a superhero to look up to, relate to, or just even talk about for 12 years when it's been an annual event for men, then yeah, you go Wonder Woman! And not just her. You (also) go General Antiope!

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 15

I see a lot of women's empowerment talk but I do not get it. Wonder Woman is a woman in name only. She is a god and all her family are amazons. Real women can't jump in the air and stay there. In the last 30 years there have been many real and fictional women who were heroic.  Good movie but not a feminist landmark the way it seems to be made out to be.

Watching her do these amazing physical feats is actually the point for those of us who were empowered by it. It's a power fantasy. And male superhero movies are held up that way for boys.

*chants* Ama-zon pre-quel, Ama-zon pre-quel!

That would be AMAZING! I don't read the comics, but I can totally imagine some kind of story about Hippolyta and Zeus that ends with the birth of baby Diana.

It could also answer some of the intersectionality critiques by giving the named WoC Amazons more significant (and hopefully secondary) roles. For example, I was disappointed that Philippus basically just chased after baby Diana and shouted Diana. I'm glad she was there, but I expected her to have a role more like Antiope's or at least be shown as a trusted advisor/confidante to Hippolyta. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, doram said:

And I'm sure by the time there have been half as many live action Wonder Woman movies as there've been Superman movies, one Captain Marvel trilogy to Spiderman's three, one (just one) Storm movie to Wolverine's half dozen, and the Black Widow movie finally broke free of its development hell... 

It'll also be just a fun time at the movies for women to watch a super-heroine on the big screen. 

Heck, with all of WW's success, a sequel hasn't even been greenlit yet. Gal's remaining two movies under her current DC contract are the two JL movies. You'd think they'd jump at the chance at a sequel immediately considering it's commercial and critical success, a rarity for DCEU thus far. But even with its achievements, there's still hemming and hawing going on.

• Love 8

On a different note, does anyone know whether the music from the beach battle scene is on the soundtrack, and if so, which track it's in?

Re: a Wonder Woman sequel, USA Today just reported today that Patty Jenkins is NOT yet formally inked for a sequel--which contradicts earlier reports stating she and Gal Gadot are both contractually obligated for a sequel--so I presume they'll have to negotiate with her (and potentially Gal) before sequel plans can go any further. Given the wildly enthusiastic response to WW, I would think they'd be fast-tracking a sequel, but the DCEU also has a crazy packed upcoming slate, so who knows where it would fit in. I also don't mind waiting an extra year for Wonder Woman 2 if it ensures high quality, tbh; I'd rather them take the time to produce another great movie than rush and produce a mediocre-to-bad one (*cough* BvS, Iron Man 2). Wonder Woman is too important to mess up. And WB, ink Patty Jenkins to do an Amazon prequel while you're at it....

Also, I cannot tell you how much I don't care about Diana and Harley Quinn meeting, ffs.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I agree. Look, if the ratio was even 60-40 male-to-female superhero movies, no one would be exalting Wonder Woman as the savior for women empowerment movies.  But because Elektra failed, it took freaking 12 years to have another female superhero movie again.

Meanwhile, most everyone agreed that Spiderman 3 was a spectacular flop (maybe not at the box office, but it was a huge letdown from the resplendent and sublime Spiderman 2). But did that stop them from making more Spiderman movies? No. In fact, they doubled-down on two horrible Amazing Spiderman movies. When that flopped, was Spiderman finally put to rest?! No. Marvel found the "need" and way to resurrect him again.

Even Marvel, who has long been considered the trailblazer in putting out good superhero movies, has bristled at the idea of a standalone Black Widow movie for some reason. I asked my husband why, since he's such an avid comic book reader. He said it's because BW really has no story on her own and she really is closely tied to Nick Fury that it didn't make sense for her own movie. I call total BS on that. If Marvel wanted to, they would have found a way.

I don't think the failures of Elektra and Catwoman were totally responsible for the lack of female superhero movies.  It didn't help, especially once it became part of the "conventional wisdom" that female superheros can't carry a film.  But I remember a few years back reading that the main reason it took so long to get a WW movie was toy sales, since merchandising is more profitable than movies themselves.  Boys, being the main buyers of superhero toys, the "conventional wisdom" again was they could not sell enough Wonder Woman (and probably Black Widow) toys to be make enough money.

Spiderman is kind of a special case. Spiderman 3 did do very well at the box office, however horrible it may have been as a movie.  Thanks to modern marketing, studios can dump out a movie and make millions before people realize that it sucks.  But there was all kinds of things tied up with rights and commitments to multiple movies which died when Amazing Spiderman 2 flopped, so Sony made a deal with Marvel.

13 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

It could also answer some of the intersectionality critiques by giving the named WoC Amazons more significant (and hopefully secondary) roles. For example, I was disappointed that Philippus basically just chased after baby Diana and shouted Diana. I'm glad she was there, but I expected her to have a role more like Antiope's or at least be shown as a trusted advisor/confidante to Hippolyta. 

That was a different character (not sure who). Philippus was the Amazon who pointed out that if they killed Steve Trevor, they wouldn't find out why he and the Germans came to Themyscira. She was played by RSC actress Ann Ogbomo

• Love 3

That would be AMAZING! I don't read the comics, but I can totally imagine some kind of story about Hippolyta and Zeus that ends with the birth of baby Diana.

Yeah, my ideal prequel would focus on the Amazons fighting Ares' human armies even as Zeus+the other gods band together to fight Ares. The romantic subplots would be Hippolyta/Zeus and Antiope/the Amazon that was implied to be her lover. At the end of the movie, it's a Pyrrhic victory: the Amazons win but move to Themyscira because otherwise they will eventually be wiped out by men, the last scene is Hippolyta giving birth to Diana (as Hippolyta has been forever separated from Zeus, Diana's birth is joyful but also bittersweet), and, if the DCEU wants to lean into their mythological side, we find out that the Greek gods other than Zeus and Ares were killed in the final fight...but have been reborn in their Roman guises and need a few thousand years (conveniently!) to mature. Zeus withdraws from the world to nurture his reborn fellow gods, and it sets the pantheon up to reemerge in the modern day.

It won't happen, but that's my dream.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Yeah, my ideal prequel would focus on the Amazons fighting Ares' human armies even as Zeus+the other gods band together to fight Ares. The romantic subplots would be Hippolyta/Zeus and Antiope/the Amazon that was implied to be her lover.

I want them to do the same CGI te they used to make Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr, and Kurt Russell young in the Marvel movies. This isn't to insult Robin Wright because I loved seeing her and Connie Nielsen as these 50 year old women fighting and being awesome in the movie. I just want to see Robin look like she did in as Buttercup in The Princess Bride kick some ass.

The official DC line has it that Menalippe was also sisters with Hippolyta and Antiope but screw that, they never mention it in the movie and Patty Jenkins says there's not going to be any deleted scenes from this one so they can just change it that she's Antiope's lover and she can still be Diana's "aunt". It's just better that Antiope is Hippolyta's only sister, they're both blonde and Diana got her hair color from Zeus.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

For example, I was disappointed that Philippus basically just chased after baby Diana and shouted Diana. I'm glad she was there, but I expected her to have a role more like Antiope's or at least be shown as a trusted advisor/confidante to Hippolyta. 

In the development phase, I was a little confused by why they seemed to have effectively replaced Phillipus with Antiope, but knowing that Antiope was there to die, I'm glad they didn't have her in that role.

Ideally, future movies will have more time to develop the Amazons.  I get why the first movie, in the limited time spent on Themyscira, essentially limited itself to three characters (Diana, her mother, and her aunt).

That was a different character (not sure who). Philippus was the Amazon who pointed out that if they killed Steve Trevor, they wouldn't find out why he and the Germans came to Themyscira.

Huh, that seems odd to establish Diana as tutored by a Black Amazon but not make that character Philippus. I'd like to believe that means DC or Jenkins has a plan for Philippus in a sequel, but if Gadot and Jenkins aren't under contract, probably not.

In the development phase, I was a little confused by why they seemed to have effectively replaced Phillipus with Antiope, but knowing that Antiope was there to die, I'm glad they didn't have her in that role.

Yeah, that would have had its own set of problems!

I think inclusivity is harder to write than people often present it. Phillipus could have had a larger role (and actually been Diana's teacher!), but I don't think she could have had a significantly larger role without cutting into the establishment of the Hippolyta/Diana bond or making us care about Antiope's death. I think, at most, maybe she could have been the one to tell Diana about the Godkiller or maybe taken over one of the training moments.

But the beauty of an Amazon prequel is that in a movie about the Amazons, there's the time and space for more of the Amazons. 

• Love 1

Usually Antiope is the most important Amazon after Diana and Hippolyta, so I think they got that right in terms of screentime. Then Menalippe as Antiope's sister, and in the comics the Amazons' oracle/high priestess. Philippus is a creation of George Perez in the 1980s, so it's actually pretty cool that a character who isn't one of the named Amazons from mythology has gone on to become such an important feature in Wonder Woman's background over the years.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lugal said:

Spiderman is kind of a special case. Spiderman 3 did do very well at the box office, however horrible it may have been as a movie.  Thanks to modern marketing, studios can dump out a movie and make millions before people realize that it sucks.  But there was all kinds of things tied up with rights and commitments to multiple movies which died when Amazing Spiderman 2 flopped, so Sony made a deal with Marvel.

I guess my point was, if studios really wanted to, they would find a way to do it. I know the initial plan was to have Spiderman 4, before that got shelved due to a lot of different things happening and Spiderman 3 being a critical failure. But instead of being permanently shelved and moving on to new, fresh stories, they found a way to do a reboot via Amazing Spiderman. And then fast track to present time, we get another Spiderman movie this time from Marvel.

I mean, how many times does Spiderman's story needed to be told?! Whichever way any writer does it, Uncle Ben dies anyway. But because the studios wanted to, they will retell the story over and over. Spidey (and Supes, Bruce and Logan) get multiple chances to get their story right.

Meanwhile, we all know that if WW had laid a big fat egg instead, there would have been lots of "I told you so's" and WW as a standalone character will be permanently shelved. Gal Gadot's career will end after her two contractually-obligated JL movies and the world will never hear from Patty Jenkins again.

That's why I'm glad Affleck's own Batman movie is not pushing through. Let the WW sequel take its place instead. I don't need any more reminders or "new takes" of how Batman came to be. There are more stories, newer and fresher, to explore here, such as you awesome posters already writing the treatment for the Amazonian prequel movie.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Gal Gadot's career will end after her two contractually-obligated JL movies and the world will never hear from Patty Jenkins again.

Sorry, to be clear: is your point that if WW had laid a giant turkey egg, it would have ended Gadot's career, or that her career is over anyway, regardless of the movie's success? If the latter, I can't agree.

I thought Wonder Woman was everything I go to see superhero movies for (hell, it was most of what I go to the movies for), and I think Gadot has real presence. I'd see another Patty Jenkins movie before another Zack Snyder movie.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I guess my point was, if studios really wanted to, they would find a way to do it. I know the initial plan was to have Spiderman 4, before that got shelved due to a lot of different things happening and Spiderman 3 being a critical failure. But instead of being permanently shelved and moving on to new, fresh stories, they found a way to do a reboot via Amazing Spiderman. And then fast track to present time, we get another Spiderman movie this time from Marvel.

I mean, how many times does Spiderman's story needed to be told?! Whichever way any writer does it, Uncle Ben dies anyway. But because the studios wanted to, they will retell the story over and over. Spidey (and Supes, Bruce and Logan) get multiple chances to get their story right.

Meanwhile, we all know that if WW had laid a big fat egg instead, there would have been lots of "I told you so's" and WW as a standalone character will be permanently shelved. Gal Gadot's career will end after her two contractually-obligated JL movies and the world will never hear from Patty Jenkins again.

That's why I'm glad Affleck's own Batman movie is not pushing through. Let the WW sequel take its place instead. I don't need any more reminders or "new takes" of how Batman came to be. There are more stories, newer and fresher, to explore here, such as you awesome posters already writing the treatment for the Amazonian prequel movie.

Since Spiderman is up and operating already TPTB at Marvel, I don't know about their owners at Sony still dreaming of an integrated and separate Spiderman Cinematic Universe, keep promising that they will not replay the Uncle Ben story. In the last Peter Parker appearance the Tony Stark character cut off the telling of the story. I don't think it was as much of the studios trying to tell a multi-part story but rather a director looking at the origin as the most complete story and not "just a battle" episode that I sometime joke about being MCU 17, instead of whatever character or team that movie will feature.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:
8 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Gal Gadot's career will end after her two contractually-obligated JL movies and the world will never hear from Patty Jenkins again.

Sorry, to be clear: is your point that if WW had laid a giant turkey egg, it would have ended Gadot's career, or that her career is over anyway, regardless of the movie's success? If the latter, I can't agree.

Gadot said she thought about quitting acting until she got cast as Wonder Woman. Her husband is a real estate developer worth millions, and they have two kids. It would be easy for her to walk away from all this if WW tanked. Most actresses her age who haven't made it big are competing over crap roles like who gets to play the love interest of Tom Cruise or whichever 50 something male star. 

• Love 1

Marston wasn't exactly a thoroughgoing feminist, however; in his conception, the bracelets' primary function was to restrain Wonder Woman. She takes them off, she becomes overcome with basically homicidal rage. The ability to deflect bullets was a lucky side-effect.

(edited)

Just got back from watching this again-this time in 3D-and it's just as AWESOME AND BLOODY FANTABULOUS as it was the first time!

I've decided that I hate those stoopid 3D glasses! I don't recall them making even the normally light/daytime scenes so DARK when I went to see Avengers, but tonight? When I peeked over the scenes before the gala? They aren't dark, but those glasses make it seem it's night time!?????

Unfortunately, tonight I got stuck between two twits. One who wouldn't shut up during the movie during the first half, and another, who screamed and gasped at the lame 47 Meters Down or whatever that JAWS ripoff movie and laughed at the Idris Ilba one (This Mountain Between Us), where Kate Winslet's character falls beneath the ice. Then laughed when Antiope died and Diana is arguing with Steve before she revealed herself and walked toward No Man's Land. I couldn't tell if she was a grown ass woman or her tween or teen child.?

I can't wait until it's out on bluray!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
(edited)
21 hours ago, Sandman said:

Marston wasn't exactly a thoroughgoing feminist, however; in his conception, the bracelets' primary function was to restrain Wonder Woman. She takes them off, she becomes overcome with basically homicidal rage. The ability to deflect bullets was a lucky side-effect.

I don't think that's contradictory to being a feminist; Marston's philosophy was just really weird.  The bracelet function reflected his ideas about, well, honestly, the positive effects of BDSM for people.

Edited by SeanC
On 2017-6-7 at 8:39 PM, slowpoked said:

Gal deservedly gets a lot of praise by being badass in this movie. But I'm glad Robin Wright gets her fair share too. This is a really nice tweet:

That literally just made me cry 

• Love 8
On 2017-06-11 at 0:36 PM, SeanC said:

Marston's philosophy was just really weird. The bracelet function reflected his ideas about, well, honestly, the positive effects of BDSM for people.

Hmm. I think calling it a philosophy gives him too much credit; I think he was just a weirdo. If his ideas about bondage suggested that it was also good for Steve (and for society, by extension) to be manacled ("man"-acled, haha! SeewhatIdidthere?), then I'll stipulate to Marston's feminist bona fides. Otherwise, maybe not so much.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:31 PM, Sandman said:

Definitely the former. Kind of how Catwoman is still to blame for Halle Berry's career post-Oscar.

• Love 1
(edited)
On Friday, June 09, 2017 at 1:16 PM, VCRTracking said:

The official DC line has it that Menalippe was also sisters with Hippolyta and Antiope but screw that, they never mention it in the movie and Patty Jenkins says there's not going to be any deleted scenes from this one so they can just change it that she's Antiope's lover and she can still be Diana's "aunt". It's just better that Antiope is Hippolyta's only sister, they're both blonde and Diana got her hair color from Zeus.

I know they don't mention it in the movie, but Jenkins herself definitely has her down as the third sister - her response to people wondering where the WoC were when they released that photo of Diana with three Amazons was that this was Diana's immediate family  (mother and aunts) and that's why they were all white.

But there's no lack of women on that island for Diana to have an 'aunt.'

This is the first DC movie that I've seen all the way through since Snyder took over. I love the Marvel movies but Cavill as Superman didn't do it for me (never been a big Superman fan in the first place and God bless his looks because his charisma keeps dropping for me) and Batfleck is just blech, especially after Bale so DC has not gotten my money, but they actually did really, really well with this one. Gadot was great and I LOVED the Themyscira part. I want a whole movie just on the Amazons. I was a huge fan of Xena (this is my warrior default, since I never saw Wonder Woman) and that part had a Xena here, Xena there, Xenas everywhere, Xenas training a mini-Xena, a whole Army of Xenas - it brought me such joy. I wanted more on the myth, with the gods and the Amazons creation story.

At least it has increased my chances of giving Justice League a shot. It greatly depends on how they use Wonder Woman.

Edited by Luciano

I'm not sure if WW has inspired me to be more active in my weight training (I'm not exactly muscular-muscular just yet), but I DID leave the movie feeling much more empowered/powerful.  I didn't feel that way after seeing, say, Mulan (though that might have to do with them sticking Shang in, just so there could be a hint of a love story.  D@mn Disney).  :)

• Love 1

So Diana destroys Aries c. 1919.  She presumably stayed on earth.  Man is supposedly worth a fig.  Then Lenin and Stalin come to power, murdering tens of millions.  A scant 15 years later, Hitler rises to power in the very same vanquished Germany.  She just sat back and watched?

How the  heck does the canon as it was explained in the movie survive?  Amazons intercede, Aries goes by-by, and man knows peace for a loooong time, until Aries returns.  It's garbage that first Zeus, and then Diana (presumably), failed to terminate Aries.  Now she just flits around like your friendly neighborhood Spidey?  She didn't and doesn't go after the terror groups who have metastasized?  Pol Pot?  How about the grossest polluters/spoilers of mother earth?  

I appreciated very much the centrality of man's inherent evil.  I loved Gadot and Pine's performances.  Thewlis was a fine villain.  

What I can't abide is poorly drawn canon.