Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Wow! That new trailer is awesome! I'm more convinced than ever that Gal Gadot is perfect as Wonder Woman. Her stealing the show in Batman Vs. Superman intrigued me and the trailers only make me want to see the movie even more. Speaking of which,  Batman Vs. Superman & Suicide Squad  had problems, but not because of Wonder Woman. Just because those movies were flawed, that doesn't mean that this one will be-and if the trailers are any indication, chances are it'll be much better than those movies combined- which isn't that hard to do. 

On another note, the post office is selling Wonder Woman stamps at $9.40 cents for a page of 20 in honor of her 75th anniversary.

• Love 2

MAJOR SPOILER: The identity of the villain was leaked following a test screening in California last night:

Spoiler

David Thewlis, heretofore listed as "Unannounced character," will be playing Ares, the God of War, and is the Big Bad in the movie.  Danny Huston, who we've seen in the trailers, is playing his demi-god lieutenant, the Duke of Deception.

Please keep any discussion of this under spoiler tags until either he is revealed in a trailer or the movie comes out.  Thanks!

• Love 1

FYI: The embargo on set visit stories will be lifted this week; Collider let theirs go early but have already pulled them.  Also, watch for a new trailer; the Alberta Film Board has already rated it, and it's slated to be attached to Kong: Skull Island.

• Love 1

Update: the trailer does not appear to be attached to Skull Island (or at least it hasn't been announced yet if it was), but there will be new footage (maybe the trailer?) aired during the Kid Choice Awards on Nickelodeon Saturday night.

I really want this to be good, just because I'd really like DC to get something right, but despite all of the elements being there, it's still not clicking for me.

Mostly because, despite the setting, it looks like another one of Zach Snyder's green-screen-fests where the action is slow, then fast, then slow again against a fakey-fake CG backdrop.  Why even bother letting someone else direct it if they were just going to have to ape the same visual style?  Just so they can tick a box that they actually had a woman behind the camera?  

Say what you will about Marvel, but at least their movies tend to have their own individual looks.

1 hour ago, starri said:

I really want this to be good, just because I'd really like DC to get something right, but despite all of the elements being there, it's still not clicking for me.

Mostly because, despite the setting, it looks like another one of Zach Snyder's green-screen-fests where the action is slow, then fast, then slow again against a fakey-fake CG backdrop.  Why even bother letting someone else direct it if they were just going to have to ape the same visual style?  Just so they can tick a box that they actually had a woman behind the camera?  

Say what you will about Marvel, but at least their movies tend to have their own individual looks.

Hmm. I don't see Snyderism in that. There's some obvious CGI, but also a decent amount of clearly practical effect stuff too. The palate is admittedly as dark as any Synder film, but really it's not like Marvel's films don't have that too. The action (and actually the color palate and design too) looks a lot like the first Captain America film... and that's not a bad direction to go. And the emotional tone is certainly seemingly nothing like any other DC film made in the past few decades. So I can overlook a bit too much CGI and a bit too much GrimDark shading.

The stupid overuse of Slo-Mo is sure to be in the film too. But if that was a sop to Synder to keep his talentless ass at bay and away from the film? It was an acceptable bone to toss to the idiot.

7 hours ago, Kromm said:

The palate is admittedly as dark as any Synder film, but really it's not like Marvel's films don't have that too.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange are all pretty colorful.  So are the USO segments of the first Captain America.  The big fight scene in Civil War took place in bright daylight.  And despite the plots in large parts being similar, they're all tonally different--space opera, spy movie, heist caper, acid trip.

WWI is a grim setting, I get that, but it's all browns and grays.  Even Themyscira, which is supposed to be a paradisal Mediterranean island, is grayed up and with the Amazons all wearing muddy brown leather.  And they appear to be undercutting the feminist theme by taking the backstory from Brian Azarello's New52 nonsense.

And I know this is a dead horse that I'm still beating, but I still think Gal should look more athletic.  I don't need Diana to be Lucy Lawless or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, but I don't think she should so waify.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, starri said:

And I know this is a dead horse that I'm still beating, but I still think Gal should look more athletic.  I don't need Diana to be Lucy Lawless or Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, but I don't think she should so waify.

See, I think she should have a similar build to Lucy Lawless or Linda Hamilton (neither were hulked out by any means, but clearly fit).  Hell, even Jennifer Garner ala Alias/Daredevil.  But more importantly, I have my doubts about Gadot carrying the movie.  Maybe she's done some great work that I've just not seen, but she seems bland. There are some really slim actresses who still come across kick-ass (paging Maggie Q), but Gadot ain't one of them for me. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, starri said:

Considering she has super strength she could do a thousand pushups and she wouldn't build up any muscle. She'd need to spend a lot of time lifting tons of weights and it seems most of her training seemed concentrated on sword fighting and sword dodging.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

A new sneak peek/trailer/clip will be airing during Gotham tonight.

Just saw it.

DC, I don't know if you keep up with the news, but it's been a pretty crappy year and a half for women. We need this movie. More importantly, we need it not to suck. Do. Not. Blow. This.

• Love 11
(edited)

I'm pretty annoyed that they changed the setting from WWII to WWI just because the Captain America movie got there first....

We are beating that horse together. Between her boney physique and clearly Middle Eastern accent, me and all my friends are giving the casting director serious side-eye. It will be VERY hard for her performance to overcome those issues...

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm pretty annoyed that they changed the setting from WWII to WWI just because the Captain America movie got there first....

The WWI setting and the lack of clear villains like Nazis doesn't make much sense.  And depending on where they put Themyscira, it seems a bit out of the range of biplanes for Steve Trevor to crash on, since the first transatlantic flights didn't take place until after WWI.

Having seen her in BvS, especially the party scene where she wears the backless evening gown, she has more muscle than I thought.  She reminds me of a girl I used to know, a ballet dancer, who at first glance you would say she's skinny, but when you look closer, she was ripped.

Personally, I would still have rather seen Priyanka Chopra get the role.

The Final Trailer, "Rise of the Warrior."  No spoilers (except they actually say Elena Anaya's character's name), but it's liable to get your adrenaline going too much for sleep to come easily:

• Love 3
(edited)

I predict a pretty good film, with numbers good compared to non-Franchise films, but still smaller than the Snyder crap (and certainly less than Shit-formers). Because people suck and don't like gurrrlies leading movies. The question is if DC will bask enough in the (likely) good reviews to consider it a success anyway and hire Jenkins to do a sequel (and not interfere). 

I still think they're going to fuck up Justice League (although probably in some fresh new way, since they've "promised" that the Grim N' Gritty will be less). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2017 at 10:25 AM, DisneyBoy said:

We are beating that horse together. Between her boney physique and clearly Middle Eastern accent, me and all my friends are giving the casting director serious side-eye. It will be VERY hard for her performance to overcome those issues...

I don't know if I'd call her bony. She's athletic. Just not muscular.

And while she certainly sounds like she's from a certain region of the world, where exactly do you think Amazons are supposed to be from again? Do you have a reason to think that fictional figures based on Greek myths wouldn't sound like they come from somewhere in that region? Not that we hear them sounding Greek in this either, but we could call it vaguely Mediterranean and go with that, and not risk putting much racial baggage on it.

• Love 1

I think i saw a photo (on Gal Gadot's wikipedia page?) of her when she was in the Israeli army and she didn't look that different than she does now. Presumably she was in very good shape then. 

(edited)
On 5/19/2017 at 3:02 AM, thuganomics85 said:

The social media embargo has been lifted, and hey: reviews have been pretty positive.  Maybe DC Films got their shit together finally, or at least didn't do enough to fuck this one up.  Either way, a bit more optimistic now.

Its real simple. Although Synder still acts like he's at least partially responsible for this film, he was overruled like crazy behind the scenes on lots of stuff starting with this one, I think. Geoff Johns became the person really calling the shots, and unlike Snyder, Johns mostly knows what he's doing. Starting with... letting Patty Jenkins actually make the movie she wanted to make rather than the one Zack Snyder wanted her to make.

Edited by Kromm

I want to like this.....but i'm still afraid of being BvS x 2....meaning......I was tricked into thinking BvS was going to be good and it SO WASN'T.....I saved myself from Suicide Squad which i recently saw on HBO....so I am waiting for the RT reviews (which i know Snyder hates) to make my final decision LOL

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

Its real simple. Although Synder still acts like he's at least partially responsible for this film, he was overruled like crazy behind the scenes on lots of stuff starting with this one, I think. Geoff Johns became the person really calling the shots, and unlike Snyder, Johns mostly knows what he's doing. Starting with... letting Patty Jenkins actually make the movie she wanted to make rather than the one Zack Snyder wanted her to make.

I hadn't heard that about Snynder and Johns. What's your source of info? I'd like to read some more about it, if possible.

(edited)

Now that there are lots of positive buzz there are a few DC fans on Twitter who are now angry at critics for not giving Zach Snyder credit and for perceived sleights against Batman v Superman in their reviews. There are others who are angry at fans who are giving Zach Snyder credit over Patty Jenkins. While I don't understand feeling so personally defensive of Snyder I agree with this person's overall sentiment.

Screenshot%20(48962).png

Screenshot%20(48963).png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Just got back from one of the fan screenings,  and ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No plot details but just in case.

Spoiler

It's really really good. I loved it. I laughed more than I expected and I cried a little. Gal Gadot really shined and Chris Pine was fantastic. The action was fun too. Diana was a badass and sweet at the same time. I felt bad for her when she realizes how horrible people are to each other.

There was a very small thing that I didn't totally love but will wait till it releases to see it again and see if it alters my opinion. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

How did they leave Lynda out of this movie??

My understanding is that she wasn't available to go to London, and she wasn't interested in doing a token cameo pickup because she didn't think it would benefit the movie.

• Love 3

How did they leave Lynda out of this movie??

The same way Adam West hasn't shown up in later Batman films, presumably.

• Love 2
(edited)

My understanding is that she wasn't available to go to London, and she wasn't interested in doing a token cameo pickup because she didn't think it would benefit the movie.

I would have loved to see her as Hippolyta but since this was more of an action movie and Carter is showing her age a little bit I guess that knocked her out of the running (what with the Amazons all being approximately 30 years old visually). A real shame they didn't find some other meaningful role for her to fill. A cameo certainly wouldn't have worked.

No disrespect to Gal, but Lynda will always be THE Wonder Woman.

Agreed. She completely transcended the campy scripts she was forced to work with. We will always wonder what could have been with better writing to serve her and the character.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

At the Wonder Woman premiere:
tumblr_oqjf928lpz1ugyuoto2_540.jpg

Lynda is great, and still LOOKS great, but it was kind of a mistake wearing those shoes with bare skin at her age.

5 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Honestly, she's right about that. This movie apparently is pretty much free of cheap gimmicks. Adding one would have only hurt it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yep. I like it when they cast former superhero actors on CW shows as a nod of respect, but those are already full of more cheese than a fondue restaurant. An awkward cameo might outweigh its own benefits in terms of breaking immersion. This way Carter gets to pass the torch to Gadot and still have her tenure as the character respected.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Agreed. She completely transcended the campy scripts she was forced to work with. We will always wonder what could have been with better writing to serve her and the character.

I remember artist Alex Ross once said that Lynda Carter has had more influence on Wonder Woman than any of the artists that actually drew her.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Lugal said:

I remember artist Alex Ross once said that Lynda Carter has had more influence on Wonder Woman than any of the artists that actually drew her.

There's something to be said for an actress who can wear that costume (and some of the even sillier ones, like an Amazonian wetsuit) and still manage to kick ass.

I always wanted DC to have her write a few issues of the actual Wonder Woman comic.  There have been times where she's had a better handle on who Diana is than a lot of the actual comics writers.

• Love 2