Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Given some of the things that Kevin Smith has said about working on a Superman movie with Jon Peters, I don't think any of that is an accident. Peters (and I suspect Snyder) sees Superman as a caged animal, he's a guy who could beat up anyone and everyone but constantly has to restrain himself because he's so much stronger than they are.

It's hard for me to blame Cavil, I think it's possible that he could've been a good Superman, but he was cast as a version of Clark directed by a man who sees the films as 'deconstructing' superheroes and being produced by someone who thinks that Superman should have "the eyes of a killer".

That explains a lot. Which, ugh. I'm sorry, but my Superman is a kind, sweet man who believes in truth, justice, and the American way. Not someone who seems like he might be a roid rage case.

When Diana went off on the powers that be about how they're treating lives like they're nothing, I just thought, "That is how I should feel about Superman and how he thinks", and I haven't gotten that from this iteration of Superman at all.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

Late to the party seeing this but I am going to quote from Tom and Lorenzo's review - it sums up what I loved so much about Diana:

she is almost always intently forward-focused. There’s a charming and cute scene where Diana encounters a revolving door for the first time (echoing a similar scene with Reeve in the first Superman film). Steve Trevor and his secretary Etta fuss over her (because she’s holding a sword and shield in the middle of London) but never once does she pay them any attention. She is entirely focused on figuring out and getting through that door.  It stands out because there’s such an ingrained expectation for women (onscreen and off, fictional and real) to be deferential; to slow down and let someone explain things to them.

I remember this well because Etta and Steve are dithering and Diana just....figures it out, doesn't pay them attention and does what needs to be done. 

All through the movie, she is positive, firm and not willing to compromise; unafraid to listen and to ask questions (like the watch).  No shame in not knowing what something is and asking, after all.  It's made very clear that she is educated.   So she may ask a question, but that doesn't undermine her determination to do the right thing, to be who she is.  She does think about things too and listen to others but it doesn't come from a place of self doubt.  She may second guess herself but I love her confidence. 

If there is a second movie, I hope we spend more time on Themyscira,  I've never thought much of Robin Wright but I really liked her here and would like to see Antiope again.

For a god, Ares was pretty uninteresting, but Danny Huston was a good villain - I've always found him threatening ever since 30 Days of Night.  His general and Doctor Poison were having so much fun being the bad guys, it was great.

• Love 11
57 minutes ago, raven said:

For a god, Ares was pretty uninteresting,

I thought that Ares was really, really interesting for about 2 minutes, when he showed up, claimed to have never been the 'god of war,' but rather the 'god of truth' and seemed to have no interest in actually fighting Diana. I thought it was this great curveball to have the 'god of war' not actually interested in a fist fight but rather an exchange of ideas, and Diana seemed completely thrown about how to handle the situation, but then he went into CGI Spartan Helmet comic book mode and became the least interesting thing in an otherwise great movie.

• Love 7

I've really liked Cavil in other things, and he can be really likable and engaging when the writing is better, and I think he COULD be a good superman, but the writing and directing for Superman is a mess. I actually found Man of Steel to be the least awful of the DC movies before Wonder Woman, mainly because it was more boring than awful, mainly because at least I felt like he was trying to make this character work. But the poor guy has nothing to work with. Snyder seems to think of Superman as some kind of truly alien presence who seems to be perpetually about to start beating the shit out of random people, or sit in a dark room while blasting Lincoln Park. He just has none of the likability and warmth that Superman should have, he hardly even has a personality to really talk about. I know that people say that Superman is a hard character to get right, because he's such a good guy, so they decided to add tons of angst into his story, when they had so many other options for him. They could have done something about his desire to save everyone, but being unable to, or how much he can help or how much he should let humanity work things out on their own, or they could have done something like his original comic version, and made it something of an immigrant story, or maybe done a story about how he feels like a human, but is also always going to be different than them. There are so many options, but we got...boring and pissy.

And yet he's still a million times more likable than this versions totally deranged, murder happy, alien racist Batman who has never met a woman named Martha before or after his mother died. I know he learned a lesson, but he has to change a LOT to get me to like him.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, doram said:

Then the moment passed. Ares became corporeal and turned into another super-meta-CGI monster to do the mandatory Final Act Big Battle Scene. 

Yeo. The movie was a lot of ups and downs for me, expectations wise.

(edited)
On 2017-06-19 at 9:17 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Scene from any future Justice League film:

Clark: "Crap!  There is no way we can beat Darkseid/Brainiac/insert big D.C. villain!  We need help!"

Diana: "I got it!  Barry, you need to go back in time and rescue Captain Steven Trevor.  He will be a great ally in this battle!"

Barry: "But how is some solider from World War I going to help with this?"

Diana: "Don't make me repeat myself, Speedy."

Bruce: "Dude, I think you need to just do what she says."

I will be sad if this doesn't come to pass, more or less or exactly this way. Love this!

On 2017-06-19 at 5:56 PM, Lantern7 said:

... but all Gal did was smack Affleck and Cavill to the side with her awesomeness, raise the bar for DC movies, and gave fans hope that Justice League might not be that bad.

This is more a comment on how paltry and misguided BvS was, but one of the few bright spots in that movie for me was Diana's being literally two steps ahead of Bruce in the sequence at Luthor's party -- and throughout the movie, really. I knew I wanted to see Wonder Woman in her own movie and in the Justice League movie from then onward.

Edited by Sandman
(edited)
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And yet he's still a million times more likable than this versions totally deranged, murder happy, alien racist Batman

That's maybe the thing that I found most indefensible about BvS: we know Batman is an arrogant, dysfunctional douchebag. But he is not delusional. Kind of hard to be the World's Greatest Detective if you're having an extended break with reality. (Oh, and by the way, Snyder: Superman? Not an invading alien monster from outer space. I found the whole tone of that movie deeply and obtusely wrong.)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Can I just say, this movie made me PRAY that they never go the Bruce/Diana shipping route in these movies? Not being I'm against romance in a superhero movie, but because the thought that Diana would end up stuck with delusional, murderous, perpetually mopey, kind of stupid, alien racist Bruce is just too depressing to even consider. I mean, I know that Steve "very much above average" Trevor is a very high standard to live up to, both as her first love, and the first guy she met ever, but there has to be some better guy out for her. Other versions of Bruce? Sure. This asshole? Diana can do so much better.

This is all assuming they don't find some magical way to bring Steve back to modern day now totally alive and ready to have more adventures with his One True Love Diana. Look, I don't care that its contrived, I just want what I want damn it! Comic books have brought people back through plenty of ridiculous means, I refuse to believe that a Steve/Diana 21st century reunion is off the table!

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Can I just say, this movie made me PRAY that they never go the Bruce/Diana shipping route in these movies? Not being I'm against romance in a superhero movie, but because the thought that Diana would end up stuck with delusional, murderous, perpetually mopey, kind of stupid, alien racist Bruce is just too depressing to even consider. I mean, I know that Steve "very much above average" Trevor is a very high standard to live up to, both as her first love, and the first guy she met ever, but there has to be some better guy out for her. Other versions of Bruce? Sure. This asshole? Diana can do so much better.

This is all assuming they don't find some magical way to bring Steve back to modern day now totally alive and ready to have more adventures with his One True Love Diana. Look, I don't care that its contrived, I just want what I want damn it! Comic books have brought people back through plenty of ridiculous means, I refuse to believe that a Steve/Diana 21st century reunion is off the table!

THIS!!! I'm a hardcore Bruce/Bats and Diana shipper in the animated universe, but DO NOT WANT DIANA ANYWHERE NEAR THIS DOUCHEY MURDERING RACIST ASSHOLE. ????

12 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

Maybe she meets Steve's grand-nephew...

Ewww. That would be too yucky for me to accept.

• Love 2

How would people feel if Diana met Martian Manhunter and he took Steve's form as his default human disguise? It'd be a way to keep Pine around without backing out on his sacrifice or the weirdness of an identical relative.

39 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

How would people feel if Diana met Martian Manhunter and he took Steve's form as his default human disguise? It'd be a way to keep Pine around without backing out on his sacrifice or the weirdness of an identical relative.

No. Because he wouldn't be Steve.

But that's just me.

• Love 5

I'm just glad that they moved really fast on getting Clark into a serious relationship with Lois, because I think otherwise there would have been a much greater danger of them pairing Diana up with him (as shown by the wrong turn the comics took after the next-to-last reboot). Way too prom king & queen for my taste, and it would disregard/overshadow what should be the primary romantic relationships for both.

As for Batman, I'd hope that Jeremy Irons' Alfred would pop up with a helpful "run, my dear, as fast as you can!" if there's so much as a glimmer of interest from him.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

THIS!!! I'm a hardcore Bruce/Bats and Diana shipper in the animated universe, but DO NOT WANT DIANA ANYWHERE NEAR THIS DOUCHEY MURDERING RACIST ASSHOLE.

The dynamic is also different. On Justice League she just arrived in Man's world from Themyscira and was naive while Bruce was the more worldly, cynical and jaded. In the DCEU while she looks younger than Bruce, she not only has been around for hundreds of years and been living in Man's world for a century. They're both jaded but Diana has  probably become far wiser than Bruce. I confess that does make any potential romance more entertaining. Zack Snyder chose Gal Gadot because she could stand toe to toe with Ben Affleck. When Bruce sees her at the party in BVS he thinks "I've known a few women like you." And she's like "Guess again." In the cartoon Batman was the mysterious "bad boy"  whom "good girl" Diana was intrigued by. In the DCEU it's the other way around with Bruce intrigued by this woman of mystery.

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
12 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

Ewww. That would be too yucky for me to accept.

I love Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter's romance(with all it's ups and downs) in the comics but the MCU movies have never been near that level. Not just because Hayley Atwell was so wonderful as Peggy in the first Cap movie, but they just never developed it property.

47 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm just glad that they moved really fast on getting Clark into a serious relationship with Lois, because I think otherwise there would have been a much greater danger of them pairing Diana up with him (as shown by the wrong turn the comics took after the next-to-last reboot). Way too prom king & queen for my taste, and it would disregard/overshadow what should be the primary romantic relationships for both.

In the Justice League animated DVD featurette producer Bruce Timm said pairing Superman and Wonder Woman would be like "The captain of the football team and the head cheerleader. We would never do that!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Folks, a quick reminder: if you've written a post that's more than a quick one-line comment, but when you've finished writing you realize it doesn't discuss this movie or Diana's place in the DCEU, you should put it in either the specific movie thread it relates to, or the general DCEU thread, and link back to it here.  This thread is Diana's space; let's let her shine here :D .

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm just glad that they moved really fast on getting Clark into a serious relationship with Lois

I have to say the Clark-Lois scenes in BvS were the ones where I found the DCEU's Clark most recognizably like himself, and I hope that Diana's relationships with both Batman and Superman can be developed in ways that seem equally true to the characters -- not necessarily romantic relationships, mind. Anyway, I thought the relationship that grew between Steve and Diana in WW was rather old-fashioned (in the best possible sense) and it felt both organic within the frame of the movie and right as a reflection of their history in the comics.

I agree about Diana's wisdom as hinted at in BvS -- but I have to say that being wiser than this version of Batman does not actually seem all that hard. I would like to see the further development of Diana's wisdom and strength of purpose, having begun with Diana in a place of innocence in this movie, and seeing her weather the first shocks of experience.

Edited by Sandman
At the risk of repeating myself.
  • Love 1
(edited)

On Saturday, Wonder Woman officially overtook BvS on a day-by-day box office pace. Wonder Woman has 310 mill in 23 days, BvS had 308 million in 23 days.

Edited by Wildcard
  • Love 4

Hi guys, I have a 10 year old niece visiting me this week.  I want to know if she would like the movie if I took her to see it.  I never go to superhero or action movies and have never seen a Star Wars movie (yes, I am ashamed).  I tried to follow this thread but frankly I am having a difficult time "getting" what you are talking about.  I have heard it is a good movie.  I just need to know if you all think that a pre-teen who is really into "girl power" would enjoy it.  She hates movies and tv show that portray girls a airheads or bimbos.  Thanks. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Hi guys, I have a 10 year old niece visiting me this week.  I want to know if she would like the movie if I took her to see it.  I never go to superhero or action movies and have never seen a Star Wars movie (yes, I am ashamed).  I tried to follow this thread but frankly I am having a difficult time "getting" what you are talking about.  I have heard it is a good movie.  I just need to know if you all think that a pre-teen who is really into "girl power" would enjoy it.  She hates movies and tv show that portray girls a airheads or bimbos.  Thanks. 

Yes, definitely! There were kids and teenagers both times I went to see it and they all seemed to enjoy it. There are many awesome "girl power" scenes (the No Man's Land scene, specifically) and it's a movie I wish had existed when I was a pre-teen. 

• Love 5

Another vote for taking your niece to see WW @movingtargetgal! I might give her a bit of a heads up for some battle related violence (nothing too graphic, but it is WWI) but if she likes girl power stuff, she'll love this movie! Even if comic book movies aren't your thing, it's just a really good stand alone story. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I would say that pre-teen to tween girls are the best possible audience for this movie (also pre-teen to tween boys) (Also, everyone else) (Seriously, go see this movie).

• Love 9

Life kept me from actually seeing it until tonight.  Totally worth the wait.

And I absolute did not cry when Diana crossed No Man's Land, and anyone who tells you I did is lying.

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, starri said:

And I absolute did not cry when Diana crossed No Man's Land, and anyone who tells you I did is lying.

I really got close to crying when Steve died, which surprised me because I usually don't give a shit about romances in action movies. They usually always feel perfunctory to me, but they really did draw me in.

However, in no way, shape, or form do I want Steve resurrected. Sorry Chris Pine, but I want you to take the renewed interest in you to pursue other things such as getting Star Trek back on track box-office wise and perhaps doing some good dramas. Let Steve's death stick. I sure as hell don't want a Steve look-alike in the form of a great-great nephew or something.

I am seriously glad for Chris Pine, though. His 2016 sucked- Their Finest Hours flopped, and Star Trek Beyond had to have its tail saved by overseas box-office gross. Steve was definitely a great role for him and he really, really needed the boost and for people to care about him when he's not James T. Kirk.

I did kind of wish he had played Steve more like a guy from the 1910's and not a guy from the 1930's/1940's, though. I didn't get that "just out of Victorian times" vibe from him, although I guess it wouldn't have worked if he really acted like a guy who probably didn't even think women should have the right to vote.

It is pretty cool to see a movie set in WWI though- it's not really a favorite topic for historical war action movies, which makes sense. I took a class on it once, and it seemed like for the most part people just cowered in trenches. I did like the way it played out in the movie. WWI served as the propeller from the last vestiges of the 19th century in the wholly modern world of the 20th century, which works as metaphor for Diana losing her innocent belief she could stop the war just by getting rid of Ares. And there wasn't a defined "good" or "bad" guy here, which someone like Diana wanted to fight.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

When they do the sequel, I really hope Jenkins, Geoff Johns, and Allan Heinberg take their cues from Greg Rucka's recent outstanding run on DC Rebirth Wonder Woman, specifically their wonderfully nuanced treatment of Cheetah.  She and Diana start out as best friends, in part because Diana doesn't speak English when she first gets to Man's World (although they'd have to change that, clearly) and Barbara is the only one who understands her particular version of ancient Greek.  It makes them ending up as enemies even more tragic.

I'd also like to see the modern incarnation of Etta, who's a woman of color (and Barbara's partner).  Make her the great-granddaughter of the original Etta.

• Love 1

While I, also, want Steve to stay dead (just as I want whichever Robin owned the suit in the Batcave to stay dead), there is one actress they could bring forward: Lucy Davis.  Postulate that Diana stays friends with Etta and her eventual family, and by the time we get to a 3rd movie Lucy is playing Etta's descendant Julia Kapatelis with the possibility of the Silver Swan story from the Perez era.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, starri said:

I shed tears both times I saw it and remain unashamed. I was just so proud.

Unlike others in this thread, I wasn't heavily invested in Diana and Steve's romance. It was nice that she got to have one and that her first love in Man's World was a sweet if tragic one, but if I was a bit teary at his demise, it was because of his bravery in the face of what he had chosen to do. I'd much rather Diana go without serious love interests, personally. This movie did a good job of balancing romance with the rest, but I've been witness to too many plotlines where a woman is lost in, rather than enhanced by, a romantic subplot.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

YES, I hope you went! It's a total girl power movie. WW is strong and smart and powerful, as is the community of women in which she is raised. I'm an adult and I left the movie like "I WILL FIGHT ANYBODY."

• Love 5
On 2017-06-25 at 10:21 PM, starri said:

And I absolutely did not cry when Diana crossed No Man's Land, and anyone who tells you I did is lying.

Yeah, me either. A lot.  And also not at the end when Diana finally hears Steve's words.

• Love 4

Finally got the chance to see this last weekend and I just want to reiterate how grateful I am that Zack Snyder was not in charge of this. Easily the best DCU film recently (not that the bar was set high) and I'm so happy that it's getting a sequel with Patty Jenkins at the helm again. The last thing I saw Gal Gadot in was the F&F movie (before being cast as WW) and I remember being mad that her character died so I was happy to see her nab the WW role and absolutely smash it. Also full credit to the supporting cast: Chris Pine, Robin Wright, Connie Nielsen etc who were just as good in their respective roles.

All in all, I give this movie a solid A- (a few nitpicks here and there made me grade it as that lol).

• Love 5
(edited)

Well, Wonder Woman, which I've waited far to long to see, lived up to the hype.

Marvel, DC you each released among your best reviewed, profitable, and abiding movies this spring amid super hero fatigue. The keys? Not being overly concerned about tying into the greater universe; focusing on standing on there own merits; not worrying about setting up the future movies at all (GotG post credit sequences aside), and it focused on the why, the "what makes our protagonists?"

Diana's struggle to prove herself to herself, as an Amazon, while also reconciling the human condition with the mythos she was brought up with was compelling. It meant the third act wasn't just the fight sequence, there was still emotional toil. That was good since I didn't fully by into the Ares sequence. The old, pale Englishman didn't quite convey chaos personified. Should have got Charles Dance.

The scene crossing no man's land really got me though. It was an emotional moment to see the team, and then the rest of troops rally behind a bit of inspiration. It's a shame the lasso sequence that followed looked so bizarre,  it was the only action sequence that felt off.

I'm glad to have this film out there. It's a positive message throughout.

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 2

I didn't expect to get emotional Wonder Woman, but Diana's belief in herself was moving. Loved the final scene in the here and now; it was uplifting to think that she's still around. Stupid as that is.

• Love 4

The ice cream scene is lifted, word for word, out of one of the comics.  It was also included in the Justice League: War animated movie.

Except here's the thing:  Michelle Monaghan, who voices the animated Diana, tries for "childlike" but lands at "traumatic brain injury."  Gal's version of the scene was all about charming naïveté.  If you haven't seen both, it's really hard to describe just how much better the live-action counterpart is.

• Love 2
On 6/22/2017 at 0:33 PM, ChelseaNH said:

I hope not.

Or at the very least, if they feel they have to use that cliche, he can't be played by the same actor who played Steve. Much as I loved that performance, it has to be a one off. If you have a similarly named relation decades later, go for a different actor and play with the idea that he's NOT the same person, just a similar one.

12 hours ago, starri said:

Michelle Monaghan, who voices the animated Diana, tries for "childlike" but lands at "traumatic brain injury."

Aw -- I hope not. I like Monaghan, usually. I've seen Justice League: War, but I don't recall the ice cream as being quite that bad. But now I want to go back to the animated version and compare.

(edited)

My verdict: loved it!  It's not only the best DCU movie since The Dark Knight,  it's one of the best movies of the year.Gal Gadot is flawless. She's even better here than she was in BvS,  whether it was in Themiscyra, London or on the battlefield-especially the battlefield. "No Man's Land," indeed.

The supporting cast is superb,whether it's Danny Huston, Robin Wright, Connie Nielsen, David Thewlis, Lucy Davis, Elena Arana, Said Taghamouhi, Ewen Bremner or Eugene Brave Rock.

Last, but never, ever least, is Chris Pine.  His Steve Trevor is strong, smart, kind, loyal, funny, brave,romantic and sexy every step of the way, with or without clothes. Steve & Diana's chemistry is, in a word, H-O-T. They showed more sparks with just a glance than Zach Snyder's versions of Clark Kent/Superman & Lois Lane ever had, or ever will.  As for Steve's potential return in the sequel, my vote: only in a dream sequence.  Bonus points if he's at least half naked 

The impact of Wonder Woman in general & in this movie in particular should not be ignored  Now more than ever, we need strong women, on & off screen & while Gal Gadot kicks ass in the title role, director Patty Jenkins is just as brilliant, in her own way & TPTB should treat-and pay-them accordingly.

Your move, Captain Marvel.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7
(edited)

My verdict: Good, I guess.

I thought it was good overall but in the landscape of superhero movies, meh. Diana was easily the best part, and they did a wonderful job with her character with Steve Trevor coming in a close second. I wish they hadn't had Diana speak Chinese tho. That was probably the worst Chinese I've ever heard on film, from both Gal Gadot and the actor played Sameer. I didn't even realize that's what they were speaking until Sameer said so. Really took me out of the film for a moment. I felt like the reactions to Diana going to the front could have been more extreme, especially when they were in the trenches. Obviously Steve and his crew knew what she was made of, but how were the random soldiers not gaping at a woman on the war front? Before the No Man's Land scene, of course. Of course there were some women historically who were in the trenches but a woman was probably still few and far between.

The plot was passable I guess and wasn't particularly that engaging or interesting beyond giving Diana moments to be awesome. The Ares stuff was interesting but the Doctor Poiston stuff felt underdeveloped. Some great battle sequences, though. Count me among those who liked Ares better when he was using his words before it devolved into the generic CGI fight. The General and Doctor Poison were a bit on the cheesy side (in a bad way) but overall fine. One of my pet peeves is when foreign characters still speak English when they're around other (in this case) German people. It was especially inconsistent in this film. We'd hear extras speaking German in the establishing shots and then accented English.

It really is just nitpicking. For me, it was mostly just this little nitpicks adding up. Overall, I did like it and it was much much much better than the trash heap that was Suicide Squad. I'm excited to see Diana in more films! Still not excited about Justice League, tho. I'll just wait for her sequel film. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

I felt like the reactions to Diana going to the front could have been more extreme, especially when they were in the trenches. Obviously Steve and his crew knew what she was made of, but how were the random soldiers not gaping at a woman on the war front? Before the No Man's Land scene, of course. Of course there were some women historically who were in the trenches but a woman was probably still few and far between.

We saw a number of female Belgian refugees during their journey to the front, and even one (with a baby!) once they got into the trenches. Everyone may have just assumed that's what Diana was until she dropped her cloak and started the climb up the ladder to No Man's Land. At that point the soldier right next to her was definitely jaw agape in shock when he saw her in full battle gear.

• Love 4

I saw this when it came out on my own and found myself welling up shortly after the lights went down.  With all the build up, I wasn't on board with everyone excitedly waiting for opening night.  One reason being, I'm not a DC fan.  I didn't know much about the Wonder Woman story other than watching the TV show with Lynda Carter, which, even as a kid, I found kind of campy and felt something was off.  Being in my late 40's, I just accepted how things were and grumbled to myself when I would watch shows that could have been so much more if the female characters had been more than just love interests/damsels.  As I sat watching this in the theatre, trying not to cry, it hit me that I never realized how much I wanted this movie until I saw it.  Gal Gadot was fantastic.  While I agree there were issues with some parts of the story, Gal's portrayal of Diana Prince made me feel proud and reassured me I could do almost anything.  I never felt that anyone else was dumbed down or made weak just to prop her up and the whole week after, I couldn't stop telling everyone I knew to go see it.

This past weekend, I went again with my best guy friend and his girlfriend.  My guy friend really liked the movie, but the look on his girlfriend's face said it all.  She beamed as we walked out and completely got the little bits I told her about ahead of time.  I was very careful not to spoil too much or give lots of opinions so they would have their own as they watched. I want more movies/TV/books/entertainment/real life like this.  People working together, trusting each other's strengths and giving no thought to helping when it's needed.  

My only negative, and this will be an unpopular opinion, but Chris Pine did nothing for me in this role.  I agree that he had great chemistry with Gal Gadot, but to me, he was Chris playing Steve Trevor.  

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/4/2017 at 9:21 AM, starri said:

The ice cream scene is lifted, word for word, out of one of the comics.  It was also included in the Justice League: War animated movie.

Except here's the thing:  Michelle Monaghan, who voices the animated Diana, tries for "childlike" but lands at "traumatic brain injury."  Gal's version of the scene was all about charming naïveté.  If you haven't seen both, it's really hard to describe just how much better the live-action counterpart is.

If I'm not mistaken, the animated direct to home dvd where Keri Russell voiced Diana/Wonder Woman and Nathan Fillion voiced Steve Trevor, also had the same ice cream scene, word for word and it was adorable! But War's Diana? She came off like some alien from another universe. Plus I hated, loathed and despised her and this new version of Supes macking on each other!???

23 hours ago, Sandman said:

Aw -- I hope not. I like Monaghan, usually. I've seen Justice League: War, but I don't recall the ice cream as being quite that bad. But now I want to go back to the animated version and compare.

Like I said above, Monoghan's Diana, just came off as obnoxious and like an alien. HATED that movie.???

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
(edited)

Actually, from what I remember of Justice League: War (apparently I didn't find it all that memorable), a lot of the characters seemed a little off, including Diana -- but then, I think that was the first time I'd seen Diana wield a sword (I haven't kept up with the later iterations in the comics), and I was a little thrown by that.

Speaking of my not being current with the newer version(s) of Diana and Themiscyra, can anyone fill me on why the Philippus character has a name with a masculine ending, and a Latin one, at that? She doesn't appear to be based on a figure from antiquity, so why not call her Philippe (to rhyme with Menalippe), or even Philippas? Is there an in-story reason for her to have a man's name? 

Edited by Sandman

I've no idea about that, but she was an invention of George Perez when he re-launched the Wonder Woman title back in 1986 rather than one of the Amazons of myth like Hippolyta and Antiope.