Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman (2017)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, SeanC said:

Allan Heinberg and Geoff Johns both suck at writing Wonder Woman, going by their comics work.

I've not read Heinberg's work on Wonder Woman (it came after the end of Infinite Crisis made me give up entirely on DC Comics), but I really liked his Young Avengers stories. And at least having him onboard should ward off any chance of straight guy blinders imposing a heteronormative view of Themiscyran society as a bunch of spinsters who gave up romantic relationships 3,000 years ago because there were no men around.

• Love 1
Just now, Bruinsfan said:

I've not read Heinberg's work on Wonder Woman (it came after the end of Infinite Crisis made me give up entirely on DC Comics), but I really liked his Young Avengers stories. And at least having him onboard should ward off any chance of straight guy blinders imposing a heteronormative view of Themiscyran society as a bunch of spinsters who gave up romantic relationships 3,000 years ago because there were no men around.

I loved his Young Avengers comics, which just made his Wonder Woman story all the more disappointing.  A huge amount of time spent on a complete non-starter pairing of Diana with a new love interest where most of the banter was supposed to derive from his casual sexism, and then a finale where he "reintroduced" like a dozen different villains in a single splash page with no real build-up.

Johns, meanwhile, has always written Diana like a savage warrior who needs to learn to be human from her time in Man's World.

Looks more burnished to me.

Not that I'm defending the B v. S "more gloomier!" palette overall, but wasn't she only seen in costume after the battle against Doomsday had already begun, resulting in the whole environment becoming a flaming ruin? In murky orange light shining through smoke, bright primary colors would have been muted.

8 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

I've always thought she looks like Wonder Woman, but to each their own.

My one nitpick is that they should have considered blue contact lenses. WW looking slightly more Mediterranean (as Gal does) is no big deal. But the blue eyes have been a fairly consistent part of WW's appearance.

• Love 1

Comic Con trailer 

Looks dope.

Spoiler

A little too much Steve (although the scene on the beach looks beautifully shot) and that one jokey line "That's neat" falls slat. 

The shot of Diana in the dress with the sword on her back is gorgeous.

I really love the way the colors of WW's costume pop against the otherwise drab landscape. Seems like a deliberate stylistic choice and I'm here for it.

I still hate that fucking theme music.

• Love 3

Now THERE'S a trailer to get excited about! That was a great trailer. Already looks better than BvS and probably Man of Steel as well.

Though I agree there's too much Steve and sigh, Gal Gadot is so scrawny to be playing Diana.

• Love 2
(edited)

Gal is pretty much exactly how I've always pictured Diana. Tall? Beautiful? Mediterranean? Exotic accent? Check, check, check, and check.

For what it's worth, I think one of the reasons they liked Gal's build (specifically her height to bust ratio) is because it makes the WW costume look more dignified and less exploitative.

I cannot wait!!

Edited by derriere
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Yeah, they got it right, it seems. The only sign of Snyder is his beloved slo-mo fighting scenes.

I'm going to now need to take a stop-watch into the movie to time how much of that shit is in the actual movie. A small amount will be survivable, but really... I hope they've learned that even a hint of the stench of Snyder will be too much for some people.

• Love 1

I kept thinking that Gal looks like a more exotic version of Ashley Judd.

The only DC comic hero movie I've truly enjoyed was The Dark Knight (and while I wasn't crazy about Man of Steel, I didn't think it was as bad as people were making it out to be), so I wasn't waiting in anticipation for this one or Justice League, but now that I've seen the trailers, my interested is definitely piqued.

I'm going to now need to take a stop-watch into the movie to time how much of that shit is in the actual movie. A small amount will be survivable, but really... I hope they've learned that even a hint of the stench of Snyder will be too much for some people.

From your mouth to their ears, hopefully!  It looks cool once or twice, but, yeah, it gets to be way too much after a while.

• Love 2

I really liked that in the trailer Diana explains that she had no father and Zeus breathed life into her. Sounds like they may be going back to the traditional origin, just with a different deity answering Hippolyta's prayers.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, starri said:

No bracelet action?  Come on.

It's early days. I like that they haven't shot their load.

In fact, part of me thinks they shouldn't show it before the movie comes out at ALL.

• Love 1

Love the trailer. Gal Gadot lives up to all the potential she showed in Batman Vs. Superman. I didn't mind that the trailer didn't show everything because it's a trailer-it's not supposed to show everything anyway.  Chris Pine's pretty-very pretty-but his Steve Trevor's calling Wonder Woman's being brought to life by a Greek god "neat" shows that he's not the brightest bulb, just one of the prettiest. 

• Love 2

One aspect of this film that interests me is how it ends, at least in respect of the First World War portions, because it seems like Batman v. Superman locks this into a downer storyline.  Diana in the present day claims that "a hundred years ago, I walked away from mankind; from a century of horrors.  Men made a world where standing together is impossible."  So it seems like she's going to end up pretty disillusioned, perhaps even isolated from everybody else (it doesn't sound like she and Steve walked off into the sunset or anything).

I need this to be out now! I know we're locked into a not super happy ending, but it looks like it will be good enough to make up for that. 

So, who is the cracked-face woman in the trailer?

Yeah, I'm wondering that, too. 

(edited)

Wonder Woman: "Well, where I'm from, that's called slavery."
Etta Candy: "I really like her."
Steve: "Fantastic."

Oh my goodness this movie could be amazing.

Batman v Superman may have been the movie we needed.  We needed for it to underperform and not be well received, so that Warner would bring fun and humor into the DCMU.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2

The photography on this trailer is just so, so beautiful.  It's amazing.

4 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Wonder Woman: "Well, where I'm from, that's called slavery."

I'm calling that line a direct shout-out to the Lynda Carter series; in the first season particularly, there were many instances where, in the tag, Diana Prince would make a "where I'm from" pseudo-moralizing comment contrasting what happened in the story to the utopia of Paradise Island.

And Steve's "great, now I've got two women to gang up on me" reaction is priceless.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2016 at 10:48 AM, Joe said:

So, who is the cracked-face woman in the trailer? I went through all the women with pics on IMDB, none of them seemed right.

I believe that's Elena Anaya.

As for who she's playing, there's been a lot of speculation.  There are a few C- or D-list Wonder Woman female villains who have physical disfigurement as part of their storyline (Doctor Cyber, Mask, some versions of Silver Swan, among others).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

I believe that's Elena Anaya.

As for who she's playing, there's been a lot of speculation.  There are a few C- or D-list Wonder Woman female villains who have physical disfigurement as part of their storyline (Doctor Cyber, Mask, some versions of Silver Swan, among others).

And some male ones have that aspect too (not that this is any of those). Doctor Psycho for example, not only being a dwarf, but a rather strange distorted looking one. Baron Blitzkrieg being a physically mangled Nazi. And the super politically incorrect Egg Fu being basically a giant Chinese Egg. 

It's odd that disfigurement is such a part of Wonder Woman mythology. 

Gal stood out to me in the Fast and Furious movies I saw so I was interested when I heard she was cast as Wonder Woman. While she is a little skinny and lacking in muscle, I think she looks fantastic; she looks almost exactly how I've always imagined WW. What we see of her acting in the film looks solid, too. So far this is the superhero movie I'm most looking forward to.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:48 AM, Joe said:

So, who is the cracked-face woman in the trailer? I went through all the women with pics on IMDB, none of them seemed right.

As another poster mentioned it is Elana Anaya.

As for her character, people are speculating that she is Doctor Cyber or Doctor Poison. Apparently Doctor Poison was one of Wonder Woman's first villains, and it would be appropriate for her to make an appearance in the first Wonder Woman film.

As for the trailer, I loved every single moment of it. I watched it several times, and each time it was more beautiful. I'm so excited to learn more about this film in the upcoming months, and I so hope they have this trailer play in front of Suicide Squad. I'll love to see it on the big screen.

• Love 1

So given that WW is hanging with Batman and Superman in presumably modern times and this is during WWI, are they going to PeggyCarter Steve Trevor? Not that WW would end up frozen, but make him like her lost lover that dies/she leaves for his own sake?

21 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

So given that WW is hanging with Batman and Superman in presumably modern times and this is during WWI, are they going to PeggyCarter Steve Trevor? Not that WW would end up frozen, but make him like her lost lover that dies/she leaves for his own sake?

Seems like it.  We know she turns her back on humanity at the end of World War I, so either Trevor dies, she splits from him for some reason, or maybe they go off together and he lives out the rest of his life in her company.

16 hours ago, Kromm said:

It's odd that disfigurement is such a part of Wonder Woman mythology. 

I suspect that has to do with beauty being a major attribute of Diana's, to make the villains contrast with her more.

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Kromm said:

ok cool.

a bit weird to see a review of something we've all seen too (a public trailer)

Not really weird when everyone who talks about/reviews movies on YouTube do the same thing all the time.

I liked the trailer good deal but I feel like I'm turning into a cranky old man. I feel like more and more I see less middle ground when comes to reactions to these things. Either it's the worst ever or its all amazing. Not judging anyone here. We all love what we love. It's more how I see things across the net.

But, in regards to the trailer, I'm still not moved by Gadot. I feel like everything she does at this point is praised to high heavens. I see her do some side roles, a little bit in b vs s and a trailer. I can't praise someone like that. I'll reserve judgement until I see the movie. The slo mo was fine with me. I sure as well would take it over shaky cam and or quick cut mania. The line about slavery at the end just made me groan. Putting that on the end just reeks of female empowerment! Fuck yeah! I just want movies to just be. So anytime a man needs to be brought down just to prop the women up (like scenes where meatheads in movies try to mock a woman they can beat so they can get their asses kicked I just groan. Just for the tropeness of it all. No problem with Chris Pine. Nor do I think there is too much of him. I think it's okay for a guy to substantial role in the movie. Since he does, he will fit heavily into trailers.

It looks good. I'm just not going to praise it too much.

• Love 1

I'd say if you object to misogynistic guys having their asses handed to them by a woman (who also calls out patriarchal abuses of power when she sees them) as too politically correct, Wonder Woman is not the movie for you to see. She's been a standard bearer for female empowerment longer than most people have been alive, it's one of the core themes of her character, and I don't think the filmmakers would be doing right by her to mute that activism down.

• Love 10

I see the "slavery" line as more a "fish out of water" type of joke. Like she didn't know why Etta had her hand out to shake hers.

like scenes where meatheads in movies try to mock a woman they can beat so they can get their asses kicked I just groan. Just for the tropeness of it all.

Meatheads usually come along to mock the hero, whether it's a woman, a nerd who just got super-strength, an old Asian man who's a kung fu master, a hitman(usually retired) or an ex-solder/Navy SEAL/Green Beret/CIA/MI6 agent(usually in a bar) who then kicks their asses.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I have to admit that I've vaguely annoyed that they cast a white actress to play Etta, when she's been portrayed as black since the reboot in 2011.  I get that it was made more difficult by setting it during WWI, but this whole thing looks like an extremely white affair, and that's one of the bigger problems I've had with a lot of comic book movies.  Marvel did it reasonably well with the Howling Commandoes in the first Captain America, have done it much better on TV, seemed to be course-correcting with Black Panther (and then cast Tilda Swinton and obliterated that), and I'm hopeful for Suicide Squad, but otherwise it's been rather piss-poor.

I will not say many good things about Fant4stic, but I though inverting the racebending was a pretty decent idea.

• Love 1

I don't mind Etta being depicted as the character traditionally was for most of her publication history. I just hope Phillipus has a more prominent role in the movie than the marketing would seem to indicate. She's probably the 5th most prominent amazon after Diana, Hippolyta, Antiope, and Menallipe in the source material.

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I don't mind Etta being depicted as the character traditionally was for most of her publication history. I just hope Phillipus has a more prominent role in the movie than the marketing would seem to indicate. She's probably the 5th most prominent amazon after Diana, Hippolyta, Antiope, and Menallipe in the source material.

Exactly.  Etta being race adjusted was always a bit iffy in any adaptation other than modern.  One could hope that maybe Etta has a mixed-race descendant we get to meet in some future film (or Justice League, if there's room), but the original would be a stretch and take us out of things too much.

Whereas there's no excuse for Phillipus to not be front and center. I was annoyed she was absent from all promotion, because from George Perez onwards through all of the writers that followed she's been a vital character--basically Diana's main trainer and sometimes surrogate mother, as well as Hippolyta's most loyal confidante. 

DC is in the process of revising Diana's comics backstory/history again, to try to iron out complaints people had with the Brian Azzarello run that began in 2011.  It's interesting, actually, how this doesn't line up with the movies in some ways.  The movie is using the original Etta, whereas the comics Etta is still black; of course, as noted above, New Etta would have been a hard fit into the World War I setting anyway.  But also, the movie is using blonde Hippolyta, which was her appearance from 1941 to 1987, and from 2011 to 2015.  But Greg Rucka, in his new revamp, just brought back the black-haired Hippolyta from the George Perez reboot of 1987 to 2011.

Oh, here we go.  I was wondering when this would start....

Everyone's looking forward to 'Wonder Woman'.  Will we ever learn?

Fool me once, Man of Steel, fool me twice, Batman v Superman. 

Fool me to death, Suicide Squad.

Hey! Who else is looking forward to Wonder Woman? And ... why, exactly, are we doing that?

Because nope, Wonder Woman probably isn't coming to save us. There is a very good chance that it, too, will be terrible.