Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 1/11/16

Athena
  • Start Topic

The real Whoopi we are seeing is probably the way she acts at home, rubbing her family's face in the fact that she's in charge because she's supporting them all.

Way back when she said to Paula, "Tick tock bitch"! , i thought, that comment came out too fast, like it's something she's said before, frequently to others. I bet her family is glad to have her out of the house working. Yuck. Low class.

• Love 6

Sarah Hanies again today-UGH. I'm using that ABC address posted here to write a letter. I cannot stand her!!

So Paula is not  there probably because of yesterday's dust up with Whoppi.

Why not have Michelle?

She is still in the opening and on your website, ABC. You can have the show with only four at the table, ABC.

• Love 5

I liked Whoopi until she started to think she runs this show and can decide what topics they cover and what is said about them, who is hired or fired, acting psychotic on air at innocent bystanders in ABC's decision-making (ie, Paula) because she didn't get her way, etc.

Too much Raven for me this week. Why didn't she want Joy to read what grandpa Duck Dynasty has said? It's good to remind people why this person's endorsement and Cruz's happiness to receive it is not something to clap about. Would Cruz film a video where he's clapped on the back by the KKK, too?

• Love 9

What did Whoopi say to Paula about being a mother? I missed the show and I can't find a clip of what was said today. I'm curious what everyone is talking about. Could someone fill me in on what happened please?

The discussion was "Can a Woman have it All".  Paula told a story about taking her daughter somewhere & when they arrived at, I think, the subway, Paula noticed the two streaks of blush she'd put on were just that, two streaks.  She hadn't blended it in because she didn't have time.  She said with three little kids & two jobs she was hard-pressed to manage.  Whoopi said:  "You CAN have it all!" & proceeded to berate her.  If you check on The View's Facebook, there were a lot of comments from people who took exception to what Whoopi said.  (I tried to find the clip on line, but no luck.)

• Love 6

Wow. I hate to say, "literally," but Paula literally cannot say anything without Whoops taking an opposing stance regardless  how minute the point is -- oh.. like... blush/makeup.

Hypothetical :

Paula: "It seems sunny outside."

Whoops:  "NO DAMMIT! IT IS DARK AND CLOUDY!" ...finger wag

Edited by ari333
  • Love 12

Sarah Hanies again today-UGH. I'm using that ABC address posted here to write a letter. I cannot stand her!!

So Paula is not  there probably because of yesterday's dust up with Whoppi.

Why not have Michelle?

She is still in the opening and on your website, ABC. You can have the show with only four at the table, ABC.

Paula takes a day off during the week because she works on Good Morning America on the weekend. She posted that on her twitter account when someone asked her about it. 

Wow. I hate to say, "literally," but Paula literally cannot say anything without Whoops taking an opposing stance regardless  how minute the point is -- oh.. like... blush/makeup.

Hypothetical :

Paula: "It seems sunny outside."

Whoops:  "NO DAMMIT! IT IS DARK AND CLOUDY!" ...finger wag

So true. Paula can't win for losing with that bitch.

• Love 6

Im not a super Paula fan, per se, but I am anxiously awaiting the day when Paula shouts, "TICK TOCK, BITCH!" to Whoops with a big ole' obligatory finger wag across the table - hee. I will leap up and do a prancy dance in a circle, knees high,  replete with windshield wiper, open palm, hand gestures as I prance in delight. *snorty snort*

If I were on "the" twitter (tm my boyfriend who puts THE before it) if I did "the" twitter or whatnot, I'd tweet Paula to do the tick tock to Whoops -- not just to make my day, but make the day of many of us. :) I get the sense that Paula does not want to be rude, but just once...or twice to smack Whoops -  I'd love it and I'd prance!.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 10

Dislike is not the word for how I NOW feel about The Whoopster.  I really liked her when she first came on The View & just sat there & rested on her laurels, but the more "power" she got, the meaner she got & I don't like bullies.

Actually I was a Whoopi fan of her acting. Then when she got the moderator gig on the show I enjoyed her. This year she has been a hateful bully. I am no longer a fan nor will I ever watch a thing she does in her career.

• Love 9

Hey you guys!!  You really must watch the first ten minutes to see a young guy in the audience talk about a movie he liked.  TOO CUTE.

Also, Raven asked Whoopi if she felt "some kinda way" because Will Smith wasn't nominated for Concussion.  What the fuck is "some kinda way"?

Also, Raven & Sarah agreed they didn't like Mad Max (Fury Road), even though it was nominated.  For the records, I *hated* it!!!

• Love 6

Im not a super Paula fan, per se, but I am anxiously awaiting the day when Paula shouts, "TICK TOCK, BITCH!" to Whoops with a big ole' obligatory finger wag across the table - hee. I will leap up and do a prancy dance in a circle, knees high,  replete with windshield wiper, open palm, hand gestures as I prance in delight. *snorty snort*

If I were on "the" twitter (tm my boyfriend who puts THE before it) if I did "the" twitter or whatnot, I'd tweet Paula to do the tick tock to Whoops -- not just to make my day, but make the day of many of us. :) I get the sense that Paula does not want to be rude, but just once...or twice to smack Whoops -  I'd love it and I'd prance!.

Paula is a professional. She is taking the high road with that bitch and I applaud her for it but Miss Whoopi doesn't deserve it.

• Love 10

Paula is a professional. She is taking the high road with that bitch and I applaud her for it but Miss Whoopi doesn't deserve it.

I agree that Paula is taking the high road, but just once I wish she'd sock it to Whoopi and smack her down with words and a wag. Sometimes it takes that to deal with a bully. Fight back PAULA!

• Love 8

I agree.  I'm pretty good at maintaining a smiling face even when I'm seething inside, but today's attack would likely have made me lose my temper.  Whoopi was unrelenting..

Paula's story about not having time for the most simple things certainly resonated with many women.  She didn't present it so much as complaining as being amused by it.  And it should have led to the other women sharing similar stories and laughing together.  Instead, it took an entirely different turn that served no purpose and did nothing other than make everyone (those at the table, those viewing at home, those in the studio audience) uncomfortable.

I don't really have a problem with Paula, but I think sometimes she's a bit too wishy-washy and doesn't come across as intelligent as she is.  And I usually don't mind Whoopi .  (She's a former neighbor of mine, so I have some bias, I guess.)  But today I was 100% Team Paula, and if she had stood up and screamed at Whoopi, I would have applauded.

That's exactly what I thought too.  Whoopi made her choices, and perhaps her daughter was better off.  Or not.  But either way, Whoopi's experience was not at all representative of the way most mothers with careers live.  Paula's situation is far more common and far easier for most mothers to relate to.  Most working moms really do struggle trying to do it all.  Whether or not you can have it all is up for debate, but it's certainly not an easy thing to do.  And someone who was free to pursue a career while having her mother raise her child is not in a position to say that it is.

Yes, that's where I thought the conversation was going.  And not only did Whoopi loudly and strongly disagree, she also wouldn't let it drop.  We get it.  It's "The View".  So state your view, and then listen to the views of the other people at the table.  Repeating yourself over & over, arguing, and shouting down someone who is entitled to talk about HER life and HER feelings is all kinds of wrong.   I would like to hear all of their views on every topic discussed, but too often discussions get derailed by something like this.

The moderator should guide the conversation, not pontificate and decree that her view is the only one that's valid.  

As you say you were a neighbor of Whoopi's. You know that her mother was there to raise her daughter. I wish Paula would have known that and threw that in her face yesterday.

• Love 3

Also, Raven asked Whoopi if she felt "some kinda way" because Will Smith wasn't nominated for Concussion.  What the fuck is "some kinda way"?

Outraged?  Relieved?  Indifferent?  Yeah, it's a pretty meaningless question.  Standard Raven.  

Maybe it is some kind of expression young folks have invented and it means something in particular, but with Raven who knows.  There is an equal chance it is just gibberish. 

• Love 3

I think "some kinda way" refers to the fact that no person of color was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Actor category despite there being some really great performances. And because of that, you feel "some kinda way" that the Oscar's are racist. Will Smith DID deserve a nomination because he was brilliant in Concussion----hell, I didn't even recognize him in the part, he was that good. But everyone knows the Oscars have been myopic and they tend to only nominate the same people over and over. I also have a problem that the women nominees are the same ones over and over again, and when you look at them, with the exception of Charlotte Rampling, they all look the same-----blonde, waif-like and emaciated.

I hate to agree with anything Raven says, but I hated Mad Max and can't figure out how it got nominated. And Revenant was too gross for me to enjoy at all.

• Love 4

The discussion was "Can a Woman have it All".  Paula told a story about taking her daughter somewhere & when they arrived at, I think, the subway, Paula noticed the two streaks of blush she'd put on were just that, two streaks.  She hadn't blended it in because she didn't have time.  She said with three little kids & two jobs she was hard-pressed to manage.  Whoopi said:  "You CAN have it all!" & proceeded to berate her.  If you check on The View's Facebook, there were a lot of comments from people who took exception to what Whoopi said.  (I tried to find the clip on line, but no luck.)

Right - and it's a women's issue- nobody ever addresses whether MEN can "have it all".   Just the discussion makes a lot of women doubt their choices.   Education, career, marriage, children  - are women supposed to do it all simultaneously?  Just a generation ago, the "measure"  of a woman was how she kept her house clean and how well she cooked dinner.  Not to mention looking great all the time.   Now, those things are just taken for granted - of COURSE you cook and clean, but what about coaching soccer, being a scout leader, and having a high-powered career?   When women are told they must have it ALL, they end up feeling guilty and inadequate.  Or depressed and anxious.  The more successful a man is, the more likely he is to have a spouse and children.  For women, the more successful she is, the LESS likely she is to have a spouse and children.   I heard Kirsten Gillibrand speak on the issue once and what stuck with me is that she said for women "having it all"  translates to DOING it all.  

Instead of having it all as an emphasis, we as women need to look at having a work-life balance.   And for some women that means figuring out whether they will delay , or forgo,  marriage and/or children, whether they will tone down their career aspirations in order to focus on child-rearing, or do one first, then the other, or try to juggle everything at once.   It's a discussion worth having, one that has changed in the decades since The View first started discussing it.  

It's a shame that Whoopi doesn't think it's worthy of attention, because for myself and nearly all of the women I know, it's a central theme of our lives. 

• Love 12

Although I agree the Academy sucks when it comes to recognizing and rewarding actors and artists outside of its comfy white-bread box, I fear rewarding Will "Smuggy" McSmitherson with another Oscar nomination might unleash more unchecked ego from that particular family than the Universe can safely contain. I LOATHE the Pinkett-Smiths!

• Love 13

Instead of having it all as an emphasis, we as women need to look at having a work-life balance.   And for some women that means figuring out whether they will delay , or forgo,  marriage and/or children, whether they will tone down their career aspirations in order to focus on child-rearing, or do one first, then the other, or try to juggle everything at once.   It's a discussion worth having, one that has changed in the decades since The View first started discussing it. 

It's a shame that Whoopi doesn't think it's worthy of attention, because for myself and nearly all of the women I know, it's a central theme of our lives.

Meredith Viera was literally the poster woman for this back in the late 80s/early 90s. It's a shame that the woman who now sits in her spot has to be so cavalier about women "having it all".  Whoopi likes to think she represents average people so she can have a superior attitude and say "hey look at me.  I did it and if you can't then you just aren't as good as me."  Have we ever heard her give any sort of acknowledgement that she had help along the way to be able to do what she did?

• Love 13

As you say you were a neighbor of Whoopi's. You know that her mother was there to raise her daughter. I wish Paula would have known that and threw that in her face yesterday.

Oh man.... yes. What do the kids say? Send her to the burn unit. Anyway, that would have been a killer comeback. Dammit retrospect. I always think of witty retorts... after the fact. heh *sigh* I fondly recall George Costanza from Seinfeld on that topic... "Well.... the jerk store called!.... urm..." ......*****crickets****

• Love 7

Today's show was full of tension...especially between Whoopi and Joy. Whoopi seems annoyed whenever she says something and Joy spoke a lot today.

I like Sarah...but yikes having her over permanent Michelle has got to sting for Michelle. With Joy there though Michelle is just not needed, especially with her constant jokes.

• Love 7

Although I agree the Academy sucks when it comes to recognizing and rewarding actors and artists outside of its comfy white-bread box, I fear rewarding Will "Smuggy" McSmitherson with another Oscar nomination might unleash more unchecked ego from that particular family than the Universe can safely contain. I LOATHE the Pinkett-Smiths!

I know, right? I cant put my finger on why exactly, but the parents (Jada, Will) come off imo in interviews etc as "we are better than all of you ignorant,  unwashed masses."

Edited by ari333
  • Love 9

The Smith's raise their kids in a very weird way, like basically no discipline whatsoever. Will changed when he married Jada, and not for the better. But I wonder if Scientology caused this weirdness?

I don't watch every day so I have to ask, did Michelle actually get fired?

• Love 3

Today's show was full of tension...especially between Whoopi and Joy. Whoopi seems annoyed whenever she says something and Joy spoke a lot today.

Yes what was up with that today.  They even went back to the topic after break too about Duck Dynasty backing Cruz, there was something behind that whole topic between Joy and Whoopi?

It is time for Paula to stand up to Whoopi now, I have had enough of her taking the high road!  Get rid of Whoopi!

• Love 8

I like Sarah...but yikes having her over permanent Michelle has got to sting for Michelle. With Joy there though Michelle is just not needed, especially with her constant jokes.

Sara Hanies is the only person on this show that I can not tolerate. I'm "this close" to having Bitsy instead of her.

She is on entirely too much, at least one or twice a week.

Michelle would be fine (better than CCB and Raven) without the lame jokes.

• Love 3

I have gained a huge semi-truck load full of new respect for Paula, just as I have lost another load for CCB........(take all your religious shit somewhere else!) If I want to hear religious talk all I have to do is click up or down 2 channels and there is Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson or some other "money begging" so-called preachers that are posing as people doing the work of the Lord, while they enhance their own fat bank accounts.

I am really growing to like Paula.

Raven....just go away and take CCB (Christian Cameron Butt-head) and WHOOPSIE with you.

Edited by dimo
  • Love 13

Luck topic - Candace, shut the hell up.

When I was a kid I had to sell tickets to earn my baseball uniform.  I was 9 years old and went to a couple houses and then my parents sold the rest.  The next year I was nervous about going out again but my parents said to just kiss the pack.  Apparently these tickets were for many, many prizes including trips etc that were donated by local businesses.  Almost every single ticket in my pack was a winner.  Every year people would show up at our door and by the tickets and win.  We never won but others did - go figure.  I played ball until I was 17 with the city organization and never had to sell a ticket again.

I work with kids at the library and every summer we have a summer reading club.  If the kids complete 35 days of reading they get a ticket in the grand prize drawing which has many, many prizes to raffle off.  I learned that some people are just lucky and win year after year.

• Love 3

Agree, CCB never misses a chance to bring the Lord into it!  Lord almighty go to hell!  If I want a religious show I will turn the channel too.  Her hair and makeup are certainly ready for prime time Jimmy Swaggart, heavily laden facial makeup and pageant hair!

• Love 12
It is time for Paula to stand up to Whoopi now, I have had enough of her taking the high road!

I agree (somewhat), Foghorn Leghorn, but Whoopi seems to have some sort of power with Disney and the ABC bigwigs. Her rude and entitled behavior to everyone associated with the show go unchecked.  Additionally, she probably holds a grudge--a big grudge that could be dangerous for Paula's career.  I hope that Paula is working with someone who has a plan for her successful future with ABC.   Paula was sort of a nonentity for me when she started on this show, but she has shown grace and backbone that are impressive--VERY impressive!

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 9

But I wonder if Scientology caused this weirdness?

Yes.

I have all sorts of feels "some kind of way" about any of Scientology's adherents in Hollywood and have decided to boycott their work for years.  Maybe The Academy, feels the same way.

Shame, it sounds like the Concussion performance is a good one, but I won't be seeing it.  I was ecstatic when WIllow didn't take the role in Annie, I'd watch any version of that because I love it so, and that was a very good one.

eta: I caught Paula and Sara(h)? over the weekend doing a feature on GMA about the lottery, Sara was at a bodega getting tickets and grabbed a bunch of Ben and Jerry's - it was cute.  I get the feeling that the inclusion of them both on The Spew is preparation for a GMA third hour when they finally shutter The Spew.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 7

I agree (somewhat), Foghorn Leghorn, but Whoopi seems to have some sort of power with Disney and the ABC bigwigs. Her rude and entitled behavior to everyone associated with the show go unchecked.  Additionally, she probably holds a grudge--a big grudge that could be dangerous for Paul's career.  I hope that Paula is working with someone who has a plan for her successful future with ABC.   Paula was sort of a nonentity for me when she started on this show, but she has shown grace and backbone that are impressive--VERY impressive!

I think she is impressive too, I like Paula, she knows how to disagree and picks her battles.  I just hate watching Whoopi get away with it over and over!!!

• Love 7

I think unlike Goldberg, Paula will still have a bright career in broadcasting ahead of her when ABC finally flushes this show.  I get the impression she knows Whoopi isn't important enough to flame out about.  

Meanwhile, I couldn't bring myself to watch today - that's how pissed I am about Whoopi's ridiculous lecture about time management and choices to a woman who has TWO jobs and three SMALL children.  Unlike race or Hollywood or all the other topics Whoopi feels she is an expert in, being a married working mother of three young kids while juggling a highly successful career on network TV is something she knows nothing about.  NOTHING!   Hell, what does Whoopi even know about 'blending makeup' or looking presentable when you leave the house for crying out loud?   Grrrrrr.  I need a Whoopi-break. 

Also, a Candace break.  In my opinion, that woman has no business working on a show where she is expected to comment on various topics.  Candace has zero critical thinking skills.   Zero.  Her entire education was completed on a TV studio set.   I haven't seen any evidence she's ever read more than one book and she even seems rather vague and shaky on that one, except of course for the 10 commandments.   Pffft.    Normally, someone injecting their faith into a conversation doesn't bother me but that's all Candace can talk about.    She started out rather benign but now I find her completely grating.  Ugh.  

Here is the clip of Paula explaining why she feels like, at least while her kids are small, she can't "have it all"  and Whoopi telling her she's wrong. 

https://www.facebook.com/TheView/videos/10153244758111524/

ETA: sorry for the shouting. I am so impressed by Paula's restraint.  I don't know why this particular Whoopi rant set me off - maybe I'm just over her bullying. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 15

There is not much for the panel to do to prepare for this show except keep current on the news. GMA is different......there is a lot to do to prepare. And Paula is working 7 days a week.....albeit earning big bucks most likely. She is due a grumble ocassionally or telling a sweet story about her blush.

I doubt she signed up for this show but was "forced" to do it. And is actually doing so gracefully.

Can't really see a show with Paula and Sarah though.

I do enjoy seeing Whoopi can't really pull in any current hot celebrities to appear though.

• Love 7

I think unlike Goldberg, Paula will still have a bright career in broadcasting ahead of her when ABC finally flushes this show.  I get the impression she knows Whoopi isn't important enough to flame out about.  

Meanwhile, I couldn't bring myself to watch today - that's how pissed I am about Whoopi's ridiculous lecture about time management and choices to a woman who has TWO jobs and three SMALL children.  Unlike race or Hollywood or all the other topics Whoopi feels she is an expert in, being a married working mother of three young kids while juggling a highly successful career on network TV is something she knows nothing about.  NOTHING!   Hell, what does Whoopi even know about 'blending makeup' or looking presentable when you leave the house for crying out loud?   Grrrrrr.  I need a Whoopi-break. 

Also, a Candace break.  In my opinion, that woman has no business working on a show where she is expected to comment on various topics.  Candace has zero critical thinking skills.   Zero.  Her entire education was completed on a TV studio set.   I haven't seen any evidence she's ever read more than one book and she even seems rather vague and shaky on that one, except of course for the 10 commandments.   Pffft.    Normally, someone injecting their faith into a conversation doesn't bother me but that's all Candace can talk about.    She started out rather benign but now I find her completely grating.  Ugh.  

Here is the clip of Paula explaining why she feels like, at least while her kids are small, she can't "have it all"  and Whoopi telling her she's wrong. 

ETA: sorry for the shouting. I am so impressed by Paula's restraint.  I don't know why this particular Whoopi rant set me off - maybe I'm just over her bullying. 

That clip.  What a hateful, nonsensical bitch.  Seriously….

• Love 12

Damnit Cosmo, you had to go and post that mess, lol.  Of course I just had to watch.  I'm so pissed now I can hardly stand it.   I can't find the words to say how I feel about what I just saw, except for four letter ones, that is.   Jeebus! 

You know what, just no.  I am not going to waste time disputing the validity of her non-point because her snot ass contempt for Paula is so obvious it makes me think she is just looking for something to fight with her about.  What is her frickin' damage?  

I'd love to go on a rant, but I'm signing off.  I won't let myself get started on how stupid what she said was.  I need to save my energy for the debate which is about to start.  I can only deal with so much foolishness in one day, and my night is already booked. 

Stupid cow.  

• Love 12

No more high road, Paula! Put some stank on it pronto!

Step it up, Paula and Joy, too. You don't owe Whoopi a damn thing. She's not your ticket.

I would love her to do that, BUT her career is on the up-swing & ABC eyes are on her.  OTOH, The Whoopster is just about done!!!

• Love 5

Ok, I watched the whooping rant at Paula, and they were practically saying the same thing. You can have what's important to you, you have to prioritize. But it was the way whoop jumped on Paula to say she was wrong that bugged me. She has to take the time? Yeah, she DID take the time, and one little thing got left undone. Obviously blending her makeup was a lower priority.

Then, whoop makes the ridiculous statements that when her kid was little, and there was an opportunity, whoop had to decide to bring the kid, or pass up the opportunity. Then she adds that if she really wanted it, she'd have someone else watch the kid. And she says it as if it's some profound bit of parenting wisdom. Yes, if you get a job offer, you can bring the baby, not go at all, or get a sitter. Thanks, whoop, for explaining that. Bitch.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 14

Yes, I do know that, and I mentioned it in an earlier post.  Being her neighbor had nothing to do with it, though.  By that time, her daughter was already an adult, and I'm sure most of our neighbors didn't know (or care).

In any case, Paula very likely does know.  I don't think it's her style to throw anything in anyone's face, and I'm glad she's taking the high road.  JMO!

• Love 4

Damnit Cosmo, you had to go and post that mess, lol.  Of course I just had to watch.

Me too.  And that clip made me feel the same way I did when Whoopi used to attack Rosie last year.  I couldn't even watch the entire 2 min 50 sec clip, so I don't think I'll be tuning into the the show live again any time soon.

• Love 3

Of course we finally get a Whoopi-free day, but they have to ruin it by having Raven and Sunni there at once, not to mention Michelle and Sarah who are filler to me. None of these women are capable of talking about politics, or anything substantial. Days like this are the main reason I prefer Joy not to be moderator, because I’d rather hear Joy talking. Instead we're left with Raven’s inane ramblings to fill the empty air when she’s moderator.

Again, WAAAAY too much Raven this week. She needs to go.

• Love 6