Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I do fault FN for continuing to load its shows with a bunch of home cooks.  Oops, there I go - broken record.

I don't even think it's home cooks that are the problem. I wouldn't mind seeing a show with a home cook who'd had no formal culinary training, but who had picked up good techniques over the years. But the shows with home cooks that assume that the rest of us home cooks don't want to do anything more than open cans of creamed soups, jars of store-bought ingredients, and eat nothing but variations of ground beef or pulled pork are just so overdone and tired.

I'm far from being a gourmet cook, but in the last couple years I've started making a lot of my own ingredients -- enchilada sauces, cream of chicken/mushroom soup, spaghetti sauces, beans, etc. And it's just from stuff I found on Pinterest, it wasn't rocket science. A nice hearty casserole is such great comfort food, but I can't bring myself to use canned soups because the ingredients are pretty horrifying. But I feel fine using something I made myself, using just flour, milk, broth, and spices. I've been on a mission to rid my pantry of most canned goods.

A show with someone who's a home cook, but uses fresh stuff, things made from scratch, maybe some new ingredients I've never used before? I'd totally watch that. Rachel Ray used to get all kinds of flack for her recipes, but at least she started with real ingredients. I'm not sure I've ever seen her use a can of soup (although that doesn't mean that she never has).

• Love 3

I don't mind some canned ingredients, like black beans, or diced tomatoes for chili or refried beans, I know fresh is better but you can't always get fresh tomatoes that are any good and black beans out of a can are fine for refried etc. if I'm in a hurry... I will never understand the need to open a can for enchilada sauce or cream of X soup though. The base is SO easy to make and so infinitely better it just doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, melt butter, add flour, pour in liquid, add spices, stir... boom, done. Why not show people how simple it is to make fresh versions of all that canned gack? 

I really do like a LOT of the PW's recipes, but most of the ones I like are from her website and haven't been on the show, so maybe it's the production that's steering her in this way? 

• Love 2

My guess is that Ree uses canned stuff to attract/appease advertisers. I'll pay closer attention, but I think I've seen Old El Paso and one of the spaghetti sauce manufacturers (Prego?) sponsor her show. Maybe that's why she uses canned enchilada sauce and adds jarred marinara to her semi-homemade spaghetti sauce.

Speaking of, if we're going to watch people open, dump,"doll up" and stir, I'd rather watch the Queen herself, Aunt Sandy.

• Love 4

I hate to discuss health on the board, but my teeth have been aching for what seems like days.  I'm convinced that it's happened because I watched Ree's dessert show the other day.  AAAARRRRGH!!!  Aside from the fact that she confessed to it, you'd never guess that she loved sweet things, would you?  How she pulled this off, I don't know, but she managed to make three desserts, each of which was her absolute favorite! 

One of Ree's most outstanding skills, as shown on this episode, is that she never makes an understated dessert.  For instance, she makes a circular layer of cake, tops it with vanilla cream, tops the cream with another circle of cake, tops the cake with a giant scoop of ice cream, tops the ice cream with homemade cherry sauce, tops the cherry sauce with anything else lying around, such as sprinkles, toasted almonds, crushed candy bar, crushed cookies, crushed graham crackers, a sprig of mint,  and any number of other things until the concoction is leaning under its own weight.  This dessert, she assures us three times, is good for company (who always love it), for New Year's Eve or for any other occasion.  It's a lot of work, she admits, but it's well worth it, according to her.  I have to admit that Ree doesn't hold back when she craves something.

Finally, Ree shares her bounty.  There's dessert every night in the Drummond kitchen, and she lives for the moans of complete enjoyment from Ladd and the children.  She claims that the desserts make her popular, and she sure likes being popular.  There is one thing that I've never heard her discuss, however, and it constantly bugs me when she's in her dessert mode.  It probably hasn't bugged anyone else here, and it's sort of a nosy question, but I'd still love to know the answer.  If I could, I'd ask Ree, "How much are your family dental bills per month?"

• Love 2

She claims that the desserts make her popular, and she sure likes being popular.

That is the overall impression I get from Ree. She is just desperate to be the center of attention at all times.

• Love 1

I think most people who love to cook do it, at least in part, because it gives people pleasure and because those people express appreciation.  Who doesn't like to be complimented after serving people you care about a really great meal?  Hell, Ina Garten has people showering her with show tunes. 

And wouldn't you practically kill to see Ree and Ina share a show?  Can't you just imagine Ina taking a bite of one of Ree's cakes (loaded up with all the candy and assorted stuff Lura outlined)?  I can just imagine the slightly puckered mouth and the polite giggle from Ina.  Ladd and Jeffrey could debate which is better, roast chicken or beef.

• Love 3

My guess is that Ree uses canned stuff to attract/appease advertisers. I'll pay closer attention, but I think I've seen Old El Paso and one of the spaghetti sauce manufacturers (Prego?) sponsor her show. Maybe that's why she uses canned enchilada sauce and adds jarred marinara to her semi-homemade spaghetti sauce.

Speaking of, if we're going to watch people open, dump,"doll up" and stir, I'd rather watch the Queen herself, Aunt Sandy.

I may be wrong, but the jarred marinara sauce she used appears to be Rao's which is 10 dollars a jar where I live.

• Love 1

So, Ree makes a raspberry fool, which looks pretty in its martini glass and sounds pretty good for anyone who likes whipped cream, which I do.

Then she promises to show me some amazing variations while she crushes ladyfingers or whatever.

I can make it with strawberries.  (Just substitute strawberries for the raspberries.)

I can make it with blueberries.  (Just substitute blueberries for the raspberries.)

The she tells me - WAIT FOR IT, THIS IS THE BEST , you won't believe this one - I can do the same damn thing with BLACKBERRIES!  How???  Just substitute blackberries for the raspberries.

All this is accompanied by very helpful footage of the actual berries being substituted.  In case I didn't understand the concept.

Wow.  Those desserts weren't the only fools in this episode.

• Love 11

The new Easter episode, hot cross buns............"Happy Good Friday!!"    Wait, what?!

Happy Good Friday?!?!  "Happy Easter" yes--'Happy Good Friday'  -- never in my life have I heard that.

Was that scripted?  Was that Ree's attempt at ad libbing?  

On another note,trying to notice the 30+ weight loss Ree mentioned awhile back but haven't really seen any difference in her appearance.  I know these are supposedly the 'new' episodes. Maybe these new ones aren't really new to reflect the weight loss.

Edited by finnzup
  • Love 1

Rice Krispie treats? Seriously? The Food Network now shows us how to make Rice Krispie treats?

The title of this episode should have been More Recipes from the Back of Packages. Brought to you by Kellogg's, Knorr and Vlasic.

She couldn't even do an intersting variation with the deviled egg recipe. Mayo, mustard, pickle. Wow. Have to try that. I follow Allrecipes and Food.com on Twitter and they have both posted recipes with some really unique twists on deviled eggs, bacon, avocado, shrimp, chipotle, etc. Ree couldn't even bother to use Dijon mustard or basil mayo or something different from the standard version everyone in the world who has ever boiled an egg already knows how to do.

Edited by parrotlover
  • Love 3

The new Easter episode, hot cross buns............"Happy Good Friday!!"    Wait, what?!

Happy Good Friday?!?!  "Happy Easter" yes--'Happy Good Friday'  -- never in my life have I heard that.

Was that scripted?  Was that Ree's attempt at ad libbing?  

I don't know, we do that in my family, but my family is uber catholic so maybe that's why? I know Ree's not catholic though right? It may be a southern thing, my uber catholic family is also in Texas and they do the whole hot cross buns delivered to friends thing too. May be a small southern town thing. I don't know really, I live in the North East and nobody here does it.

I was impressed that the spinach dip she made was completely non-packaged! I was expecting a packet of ranch or something. 

I don't know, we do that in my family, but my family is uber catholic so maybe that's why?

That's interesting, I grew up in the Catholic church now attend Baptist services and I've never heard the wishes for a 'happy' Good Friday.  In Catholic school/church, it was just a very solemn day.

Agree about all the same old, same old recipes.  Nothing new here and as far as the Rice Krispie eggs?  There's no way I'd go through the trouble of forming them in the mini-eggs and placing a Cadbury egg in the center.  Way too much work for something that isn't even worth the trouble.  (Although I'd hunt out that Cadbury egg from all of them and just leave the rice krispie debris scattered around, lol)

• Love 3

That's interesting, I grew up in the Catholic church now attend Baptist services and I've never heard the wishes for a 'happy' Good Friday.  In Catholic school/church, it was just a very solemn day.

Me too, Catholic school for elementary and we spent 3 hours kneeling and praying in church on Good Friday. It's the most solemn day of the year for christians. That's the day that their lord died on the cross. Ree needs to get back to bible study.

• Love 1

Two "bunchas" today.

Those Rice Krispies treats were all kinds of too much trouble for my taste. I would prefer getting the plastic egg filled with the Cadbury eggs! Those boys looked absolutely thrilled to help Ree with decorating. Not so much so.

I'd almost rather have seen a "take me along" with Paige and Alex to go dress shopping. Both of those girls are tall and pretty. That one wearing her hair down (Paige?) could be a model.

Did I miss something or were there no seasonings, herbs, etc. in the spinach dip? Yes, she made it from scratch, but would it taste like anything?

Kudos on Ree's plain powder blue sweater/top? If only she'd kept that on for the entire show...

• Love 1

Me too, Catholic school for elementary and we spent 3 hours kneeling and praying in church on Good Friday. It's the most solemn day of the year for christians. 

Raised Catholic here as well & the most "frivolous" thing I ever did as a child on Good Friday was watch "Song of Bernadette". (And even then my mother was seen as scandalous by her much older sister for allowing a movie! on Good Friday! In this year of our Lord, 1974!)  We did eat hot cross buns -- not a fan -- never enough icing for me.

(Although I'd hunt out that Cadbury egg from all of them and just leave the rice krispie debris scattered around, lol)

Ha!

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

Those chocolate eggs she put in the Rice Krispie eggs are amazing. I polished off a whole bag by myself this week.

I thought the Krispie eggs were a cute idea but too much work. I'd give up halfway through. I like the idea of using a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Maybe dip them in chocolate and then decorate?

I agree that she's trying too hard -- about everything, which is one of the reasons I dislike her -- she just never quite seems like a real person (not on her blog either).

Specifically about wishing people "Happy Good Friday!":  isn't that a solemn occasion for all Christians, whether Catholic or Protestant?  It's the day Christ was crucified, not an event to be celebrated -- the resurrection that happened on Easter is what's marked by rejoicing throughout Christendom.  Right?  

• Love 9

Happy Good Friday just seems so...off to me, too.  I think the tradition of delivering hot cross buns is really nice, though.

The spinach dip - it looked good to me.  The inclusion of the carrots for crunch and the scallions would be enough flavor.  It's about the only thing she made that I would want to eat.  

There is no way on God's green earth I would do that to the sticky mess of Rice Krispie treats.  I can hardly get through making a 13X9 pan of them without cussing over the stickiness and the mess.

There is no way on God's green earth I would do that to the sticky mess of Rice Krispie treats.  I can hardly get through making a 13X9 pan of them without cussing over the stickiness and the mess.

Instead of spraying the coconut oil on your hand like Ree did, my mom taught me to put a small sandwich bag over my hand and then spray that with oil. That way even if the oil fails the Krispies stick to the bag and you can just take that off and start over. Clean hands.

Ree seems to be a little bit excitable and flighty sometimes, and that's when she comes out with the Happy Good Fridays and other slips.  I don't think I've seen anyone but children get so wound up about Easter coming.  I think she said it's her favorite holiday.  That was one huge ham, and it looked delicious when it was all carved up.  I have friends who make their hams with a cola glaze like Ree did, but I've never tried it. 

I've never made her easy recipe for Hot Cross Buns, and I wonder how good it is.  I thought that the perfectly uniform, beautiful buns she pulled out of the oven were different buns from the ones she put in.  Did anyone else notice that? 

I wonder how Ree's BFF Hy feels about not being on the Good Friday delivery list.  You'd think she'd make the top three, being as they've been besties in their families for generations.  (I've never been sure how that worked).

My husband and I got quite a chuckle from the whole "We're having an Easter potluck at church.  Everyone brings their A-game.  So I thought I'd just whip up this recipe we all learned to make in grade school!" 

• Love 3

Overall I like episodes like the freezer episode where make-ahead ideas are presented.  It's great for busy people.  Her meatballs looked good and versatile.  Chicken taco meat is versatile, too.

But is anyone else not a fan of freezing meat in the marinade, as she did with the chicken breasts?  For me it tends to over-marinate the meat and alter the texture too much.  But I may be weird on that one.  I won't ever buy meat at the grocery store that has been packaged in a marinade for that reason.

And please, enough with the paninis.  We get it, Ree, throw whatever between two slices of bread or tortillas, add cheese, and cook.  Got it!  No really, got it! Etched on my brain, in fact, Ree.  And this panini with the sauce of apricot preserves and mayo kind of grossed me out.  I think it would be more flavorful, and less fatty, if you combined the apricot preserves with a bit of Dijon or grainy mustard and smeared a light coating of that on the sandwich.

My only final comment is total displeasure with her adding sugar to the arrabiata.  That is just not done.

• Love 3

What a jarring contrast. Before watching Ree's show, I caught the new episode of "Extra Virgin" from Wednesday. Debi and Gabriele made mouth-watering complete meal using fresh simple ingredients. Then Ree instructed us on how to grill chicken breasts and make taco filling. I understand that it was apples-to-oranges because D&G were making a celebratory family dinner and Ree was making freezer staples. But still... Why did that even warrant a show? More working calves. Yawn.

I didn't think that Ree froze the chicken breasts in the marinade. Wouldn't that cause cross-contamination. In any case, I don't think that strong flavor profile she used for the chicken marinade would translate well into too many other dishes. That's what Robin Miller used to do -- with disastrous results.

• Love 2

Ahh, Robin Miller.  I always wondered what happened to her.  She and Ree should do a show together.  Ree would keep adding butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese to everything, and Robin would be in the background running in place in preparation for the one obligatory taste at the end of the show.

• Love 4

Good grief - parm from the green paper container.....but I did learn how important it is to close the pannini machine today.....and some other tip so rediculous I've blocked it out.

Does 1 pound of hamburger plus 1 pound of sausage only make 3 burgers? I think not.....Ina uses 3#  for 10-12.....Michael Symon uses 6oz for each of his famous Lola Burgers.

• Love 4

Every one of her shows is the same exact crap, she's just in a different top.

Family is out in the mud and clow slop either injecting or branding cows.  Then they eat off the back of her pick-up with their filthy hands, then she rides back to 'the lodge' to bring back dessert or some ridiculous lemon-ade concoction while they burn down some trees or buildings.

It's just all the same crap, week after week......grilled chicken, tex mex, paninis and some faux pasta sauce stirred up in a cast iron skillet.

She's just so wrong in so many ways.

• Love 5
(edited)

.....but I did learn how important it is to close the pannini machine today.....

ROFL.  I missed that tidbit, maggiemae.  No wonder my panini are only brown on one side!

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4
(edited)

Newbie here. But I'm curious if the topic of giving the cows antibiotics/vaccinations has been discussed. I'm no rancher but if I were I would sure look into the efficacy of this practice because of the long term bad effects on consumers. Just heard a bit on NPR where a rancher took a much more holistic approach with grazing practices etc. and the cows didn't get sick with respiratory problems and no dead calves. He credited it to the microbes in the grass they ate. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 1

I deleted the episode without watching it - did they mention antibiotics specifically? My understanding is that the antibiotics happen after (or maybe at the time) the cattle are shipped, to prevent problems in the horrific conditions of being finished on grain in the feedlots. Ladd seems thoughtful about his management/grazing practices. What happens after he sells them to the feedlot* (and later, the slaughterhouse) is another story. Interestingly, the family apparently doesn't hold back animals for their personal consumption. I believe they buy their beef at the grocery store like most people. That surprised me.

*I don't know if he sells any as grass fed/organic. His empire seems too big for that.

Nope, they showed them injected the cows with antibiotics in the pasture.  Not surprised they do it but I was surprised they admitted it.

And have you people learned nothing?  A panini is crap pressed between two pieces of bread.  Crap pressed between two tortillas is a quesadilla!

• Love 7

It seems like I've been laughing over every other post today.  We have some great wits in here.

I watched the show in question, and I don't recall anyone saying "antibiotics."  I thought they said "shots," and I took that to mean some kind of a shot that calves need.  Antibiotics in animals is such a controversial topic that I'd think they'd be deluged with mail if they said it.  I don't know, though.  I'm neither a farm girl nor a rancher, which means that Ree and Nancy are a few pegs above me.

That strawberry cake that Ree made for her father-in-law looked really good to me.  He sure seemed happy with it!

There's a long and very interesting piece on Ree, printed five years ago, in the NY Times if anyone cares to Google it.  Sorry I don't have a link.  It gives a lot of information that I didn't know about a lot of things.  Ree seemed reluctant to talk about how much she makes, but she finally admitted that she'd made plus or minus $1 million that year (probably more now).  It talks about their house, the lodge (4 miles apart), and it's a pretty well-balanced piece.  It takes a while to read, but I'm glad I came across it.

It seems like I've been laughing over every other post today.  We have some great wits in here.

I watched the show in question, and I don't recall anyone saying "antibiotics."  I thought they said "shots," and I took that to mean some kind of a shot that calves need.  Antibiotics in animals is such a controversial topic that I'd think they'd be deluged with mail if they said it.  I don't know, though.  I'm neither a farm girl nor a rancher, which means that Ree and Nancy are a few pegs above me.

That strawberry cake that Ree made for her father-in-law looked really good to me.  He sure seemed happy with it!

There's a long and very interesting piece on Ree, printed five years ago, in the NY Times if anyone cares to Google it.  Sorry I don't have a link.  It gives a lot of information that I didn't know about a lot of things.  Ree seemed reluctant to talk about how much she makes, but she finally admitted that she'd made plus or minus $1 million that year (probably more now).  It talks about their house, the lodge (4 miles apart), and it's a pretty well-balanced piece.  It takes a while to read, but I'm glad I came across it.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/05/09/o-pioneer-woman

Is this the article you spoke of?

The movie will have to be made to be so much more interesting than the real story, which is basically that she met a guy.  A rich guy, but it's hardly like she went from being this NY socialite to living in a log cabin, spending her days milking cows and sewing her own clothes.  

• Love 3

Yeah. It's like Ree pictures herself as a modern-day Lisa Douglas or something. If there were to be a movie, the script would really have to be spiced up. Ree and Ladd has to have had the most boring courtship imaginable. Ree would drive to the ranch and Ladd would grill steaks, then they would watch movies from his VHS collection. Ree would drive home. Talk about a cheap date.

• Love 1

Yeah. It's like Ree pictures herself as a modern-day Lisa Douglas or something. If there were to be a movie, the script would really have to be spiced up. Ree and Ladd has to have had the most boring courtship imaginable. Ree would drive to the ranch and Ladd would grill steaks, then they would watch movies from his VHS collection. Ree would drive home. Talk about a cheap date.

Ooooh, but so . . . PIONEER!

I take it that since the article that mentioned a possible movie was written 2011, and that nothing has surfaced on the silver screen, that the project is DOA?

I think Reese Witherspoon found some better projects to work on in the interim, like films that would get her Oscar nominations and not just be shown on the Lifetime channel.

• Love 2

Ree Witherspoon is such an odd choice to portray Ree. It would be such dull movie. IIRC, it starts out with Ree has moved back home to live with her parents. She spends her days in her room pouring through catalogs and ordering expensive winter-weather gear to take with her when she moves to Chicago to attend law school. She even puts a deposit on an apartment.

She goes out one night at the last moment to have drinks with her girlfriends and meets Ladd in a bar. They talk. MONTHS go by before he calls her. In the meantime she more or less throws away her legal future to sit around and wait it out. They start dating and pass time by Ree driving to hell and back (what a gentleman Ladd was to not pick her up and take her home) frequently getting lost to the ranch. Ree loses her vegetarianiasm to grilled steaks. (OK, that might be funny.) They watch a lot of movies.

When things get serious, Ladd introduces Ree to how a cattle ranch operates. They kind of hazed her by giving her jobs where the cows would get scared and douse her with diarrhea. (Ha! Ha!) Wedding planning is slightly amusing as Ree tries to create a hybrid theme of upscale country club with down-home country. The wedding is held during a major playoff game for Ladd's alma mater, so at the reception venue, there is a room set up with TVs and the groom and his party sneak off to catch the game during the reception.

On the European honeymoon, Ree and Ladd get terrible food poisoning and spend most of their time in bed and not in a good way.

Ree and Ladd move into a considerably smaller and older house on the ranch and Ree learns how to cook. Alex is born. End of story.

There's your movie in a nutshell. I suppose if it were written well, it could pass off as a romantic comedy... Not holding my breath.

P.S.: I am beyond embarrassed for remembering so much from her book. Mortified that I even bought it!

• Love 4

P.S.: I am beyond embarrassed for remembering so much from her book. Mortified that I even bought it!

Gris Gris, no need to be embarrassed, I keep Ree's book right next to Sandy's books on the shelf and browse them every once and a while when I need a good chuckle.

ReeseW has had a few roles where she has played a  down-home Southern woman so it's not that far fetched of an idea. If you haven't seen her performance as June Carter Cash in "Walk the Line" you should rent it. Another reason for delay is that someone else made a movie about Osage County a couple of years ago with an obscure cast of people like Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. :)

Hi everyone, I am new to this site.  I remember Alex saying they were giving antibiotic shots to all the cows. She looked right into the camera when she said it. I think the church they showed the Good Friday service in was perhaps Southern Baptist. I did not know she veg. before she met Ladd. Some of the stuff she cooks is so gross, especially the italian food. She is  laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1