Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

(edited)

So in that Asian vegetable/noodle salad Ree made, wouldn't she need to...I don't know, cut up the noodles somewhat?  When she tried tossing those noodles on top of those veggies all I could think was you will never be able to blend all that together w/ those noodles long like that.

No, you wouldn't need to cut up the noodles.  Serving that kind of salad on a platter works well and gives you some surface area to get everything mixed well.  Out of all the things Ree Drummond has made she finally made something I would enjoy.   I don't really need a recipe for a salad like that, but it looked very good nevertheless.  I also would swap out the olive oil for a lighter salad oil (NOT olive oil for God's sake, Ree) and possibly skip the oyster sauce* by adding more soy, some fish sauce, and chili pepper.  But honestly, I bet I would happily eat her version if someone made it for me mostly because I love the texture of cold noodle salads like that.  And no mayonnaise!!  Go Ree!!

* Sometimes the ingredients in the oyster sauce you find at the grocery store are utter crap.

Edited by anneofcleves
(edited)

Oh. My. God. On the TWoP boards, we used to joke that soon, FN would have a show where they just showed us how to order at drive thru, well I'm watching Ree show us how to order food from the drive thru. I am at a loss for words at witnessing a cooking show featuring the cook ordering at a drive thru.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 3

I'm quite sure that Ree got her Asian recipes straight out of a cookbook and wasn't just making them up, as she led us to believe.  I love Chinese food and sometimes make it at home, using a cookbook, and her ingredients were almost identical to mine.  I must say that I enjoyed this episode because Ree really cooked, and that meal was a good bit of work. 

I get a kick out of the way Ree's meal is always EXACTLY ready the moment her family comes through the door.  Maybe it's just me, though, that is bothered by the fact that they come in from working cattle and begin to eat.  I wish she'd say something like "Wash your hands while I take the meal up."  They seem to go straight from wrestling cattle to picking up their pizzas!  Blech!  I probably take things too literally!  LOL

I get a kick out of the way Ree's meal is always EXACTLY ready the moment her family comes through the door.  Maybe it's just me, though, that is bothered by the fact that they come in from working cattle and begin to eat.  I wish she'd say something like "Wash your hands while I take the meal up."

She might, if they were actually coming in from off the sweaty fields and not straight from the Hair and Makeup trailer.

• Love 5
(edited)

HyeChaps, I agree that Ree's knife is unusual.  It seems to work well for her, though, especially with chopping.  I swear that woman spends half her life chopping!  The more I see her using that knife, the more I want one, but then I'm a sucker for kitchen knives of all kinds.

For some reason, I liked today's show -- titled something about "the mist."  I wasn't overly excited about all the grease left in the pork, the potatoes in such large chunks, or the apple pie without any spices like cinnamon -- but I liked Ree in it.  She seemed much more relaxed than usual, not so prissy and uptight, and it was fun seeing those amazing young kids working the cattle.  It was the first time I ever saw cowboys washing dishes!  LOL

Edited by Lura

I was struggling to think of Ree using a $12 knife.  I mean, her artisan KitchenAid and Le Creuset cookware would stage a major revolt over having such an inexpensive (though probably perfectly functional) knife in their midst!  

• Love 2
(edited)

No, the knife HyeChaps referenced was $12.  Surely you people, my people, know by now that my sarcasm meter is always on full tilt!  ;-)

Did anyone enjoy (code word for "suffer through") her cowgirl brunch episode?  The one where she serves the 1,500 calorie-sized slices of quiche with a side of coffee-flavored sweetened condensed milk?  And her miserably thin and anemic looking maple scones.  I really need to find something better to do with my time when I just want to sit and do nothing.  Maybe knitting...

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

"Did anyone enjoy (code word for "suffer through") her cowgirl brunch episode? The one where she serves the 1,500 calorie-sized slices of quiche with a side of coffee-flavored sweetened condensed milk? And her miserably thin and anemic looking maple scones. "

Dear lord that drink looked gross! Her technique to make the coffee, throw a can of grounds in a tub of cold water and let it sit for 8 hours, was different. Would that make delicious coffee?

• Love 1

Thank you, Fostersmom, for I.D.ing the right knife for those of us who want to buy one (including me).  I notice when Ree uses it to chop celery, for instance, her pieces aren't technically perfect, but who cares about technique when you're cooking a meal for 20 cowboys + family?  If she went for perfectly sized pieces, those cowboys would be waiting to eat until 3 p.m.

• Love 1

Thank you, Fostersmom, for I.D.ing the right knife for those of us who want to buy one (including me).  I notice when Ree uses it to chop celery, for instance, her pieces aren't technically perfect, but who cares about technique when you're cooking a meal for 20 cowboys + family?  If she went for perfectly sized pieces, those cowboys would be waiting to eat until 3 p.m.

Yeah, but celery's technically a vegetable, so it wouldn't be something you'd serve to cowboys anyway.

• Love 6

I've debated buying that knife for ages for my mom. I can't tell you how many times she's complained she needs a really good knife. Years ago I told her I wanted a particular set of Martha Stewart knives for X-mas, instead I got a random crappy set she bought at Macy's because they were "$100 knives on sale for $40!" Uh, yeah, that should tell you something and they are total crap. I don't cook a lot, but they truly suck. She bought herself the same crappy set at the same time. I know she would never in a million years spend the money on a single good knife, but it really does always look very useful on the show. It seems like no matter what is being cut with it, it really does the job.

Yeah, but celery's technically a vegetable, so it wouldn't be something you'd serve to cowboys anyway.

I'm not following your reasoning very well, I'm afraid.  Chopped celery is something that Ree includes in a lot of her dishes.  She also starts many of her dishes with aromatics, which include celery.  The manufacturer of her knife gave the information that the name of her knife, in Japanese" means "chopped vegetables" in English. 

BTW, I decided not to get Ree's knife.  I have both sizes of the Santoku knife and also a cleaver, so I really don't need a knife specially designed to chop vegetables.  If you want a great knife for doing everything, I'd recommend the Santoku knife out of all the knives available, and it chops vegetables in a flash.  My husband likes the longer one, while I find the shorter one easier to use because my hands are smaller.  Hmm ... is it Santoku or Santuko???  LOL

I get what Aquarius is saying.  Cowboys eat meat and potatoes, and corn.  Cowgirls eat pasta, some vegetables, and coffee made with sweetened condensed milk.  It is the natural order of things on the prairie.

I can't figure out if fine dice or crude chop would be better for the cowboys.  Fine dice would make the vegetables much less noticeable and more likely to break down in the "Dr. Pepper, Ranch Dressing, and Jalapeno Pepper Jelly Braised Beef Brisket" recipe - the cowboys wouldn't have a clue!  On the other hand, big coarse chunks would be easy for them to pick out and go, "Ew, what is this?  A vegetable?"

• Love 10

Cowboys eat meat and potatoes, and corn.  Cowgirls eat pasta, some vegetables, and coffee made with sweetened condensed milk.  It is the natural order of things on the prairie.

I can't figure out if fine dice or crude chop would be better for the cowboys.  Fine dice would make the vegetables much less noticeable and more likely to break down in the "Dr. Pepper, Ranch Dressing, and Jalapeno Pepper Jelly Braised Beef Brisket" recipe - the cowboys wouldn't have a clue!  On the other hand, big coarse chunks would be easy for them to pick out and go, "Ew, what is this?  A vegetable?"

My father isn't a cowboy but has always hated vegetables, which his mother insisted on boiling to death & serving nightly.  He argued that every dinner included potatoes & they're vegetables so he shouldn't have to eat any other kind -- she explained that potatoes didn't count because he liked them.  He left home as soon as possible (Japan helped by bombing Pearl Harbor while he was in college) & hasn't eaten a cooked vegetable since, except for potatoes & baked beans.

When he encounters things like carrots & mushrooms in stews, soup, pot pies, etc., he carefully removes them -- so big chunks help, as do bright colors ("Yuk -- what's this? Peas!! Corn!!").

I get what Aquarius is saying.  Cowboys eat meat and potatoes, and corn.  Cowgirls eat pasta, some vegetables, and coffee made with sweetened condensed milk.  It is the natural order of things on the prairie.

Yes, exactly! 

Uh, oh. I gotta nip this in the bud. My youngest brother is staying with me for a few weeks. We had FN on in the background and he said, "Who's that lady from Texas?" (referring to Ree's show that was on.) "They seem like pretty nice people." My only comment was "They're from Oklahoma," then promptly changed the channel. LOL!

I could see where her show would appeal to him because he's a big meat eater... Maybe we should start looking into vegetarianism. He also is a very good cook, so I'm surprised he'd like her recipes, but I think he's only seen the show a smattering of times.  WHEW!!! 

• Love 2

Uh, oh. I gotta nip this in the bud. My youngest brother is staying with me for a few weeks. We had FN on in the background and he said, "Who's that lady from Texas?" (referring to Ree's show that was on.) "They seem like pretty nice people." My only comment was "They're from Oklahoma," then promptly changed the channel. LOL!

I could see where her show would appeal to him because he's a big meat eater... Maybe we should start looking into vegetarianism. He also is a very good cook, so I'm surprised he'd like her recipes, but I think he's only seen the show a smattering of times.  WHEW!!! 

Ha.  Well gris gris, I'm sure Ree is a perfectly nice person, who just so happens to be a garden variety home cook with a cooking show.  Yee haw!  Good thinking on changing the channel quickly.

Dear lord that drink looked gross! Her technique to make the coffee, throw a can of grounds in a tub of cold water and let it sit for 8 hours, was different. Would that make delicious coffee?

That's how I make cold brewed iced coffee. I do a pound of cafe bustelo (cuz it's crazy cheap on Amazon) to a gallon of water. Let it sit overnight, then I strain it several times and store it in the fridge. Making a cup of coffee I use about 1/4 water 1/8 half and half and then the rest of it coffee and a ton of ice. It's great. Way cheaper than buying iced coffee somewhere and really simple. The only annoying thing is if you want it sweet you have to use some sort of sweetener that dissolves in cold drinks so I could see how using condensed milk would work, but I've never done that because the flavor of condensed milk just isn't for me. 

• Love 1

I've debated buying that knife for ages for my mom. I can't tell you how many times she's complained she needs a really good knife. Years ago I told her I wanted a particular set of Martha Stewart knives for X-mas, instead I got a random crappy set she bought at Macy's because they were "$100 knives on sale for $40!" Uh, yeah, that should tell you something and they are total crap. I don't cook a lot, but they truly suck. She bought herself the same crappy set at the same time. I know she would never in a million years spend the money on a single good knife, but it really does always look very useful on the show. It seems like no matter what is being cut with it, it really does the job.

Let me tell you, I got Wusthof knives when I got married (1978!) and they are still perfect.  Well worth the investment.

• Love 2

I bought wustoff knives in 1987. Still sharpen beautifully and are the best knives I own. And I have put them in the dishwasher every time I've used them.

Edited by novhappy

Put me firmly in the Wusthof camp, too. 

I really enjoyed watching "Edna-Mae's Birthday" show.  Edna-Mae is my favorite on the show, and I loved watching the tribute given to her.  The food looked good, too -- roast lemon chicken, cauliflower soup and a fabulous Italian cake with blueberries.  IMHO, Ree outdid herself in this one.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

Lisin, this is a back-handed compliment if ever there was one, but if I liked iced coffee, I'd make it your way!  It sounds so easy, and it sure beats supermarket prices for it.  I'm copying and pasting your instructions, though, because I have friends who love iced coffee, and I can't wait to serve this to them!  They buy the supermarket version.

I'm getting a complex.  I seem to be the only person who's enjoying Ree's episodes, and I'm sure I'm going to be kicked out of here if I say that again.  I watched Alex' graduation party this week, and I really enjoyed it.  Ree didn't cook things that I would make, but the party was fun to watch. I got a kick out of the glimpse of Ree and Ladd dancing, and it looked like they were doing the jitterbug, which I think was popular in the '50s or '60s.  Maybe it's just catching on in Oklahoma!  Alex looked beautiful and was so sweet when she thanked her parents for throwing the party.  They really did put on a bash, and if anyone has a graduation in the family, some of Ree's ideas were clever enough to be copied, I thought.  She and her friend Hye really pulled it off, as Hye's daughter was graduating, too.

• Love 7

PW has a website & facebook with thousands of fans where you can praise her to the heavens & any critical reviews are quickly swiffered  away.

I'm glad we have some freedom of speech here.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5

I don't believe I suggested that anyone stop making whatever comments they so chose, but when someone thinks they might get kicked out for daring to post something positive about the subject of the board, going against the grain of the more vocal posters, it might illustrate why people of differing opinions would feel quite unwelcome.  

• Love 2

Sharinlilbit, I was joking about being lonely in here and also about having a complex.  It's my fault for not making that clear.  I forget that we don't know each other and that people here don't know my self-deprecating sense of humor.  However, despite the fact that I was teasing, I really, really appreciated the sweet posts that were left for me.  They gave me a lump in my throat.  I also appreciated what you wrote because it pointed out how unwelcome newcomers can feel when entering a thread where everyone else knows each other.  Apologies to all, and thanks to everyone.  :)

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

I found it interesting that nearly every dancing couple had the same moves and wondered if the producers coached them before the cameras came in.

I'm hopeful someone can also fill me in on another thing:  do people in the Texas/Oklahoma region ALWAYS wear cowboy hats and boots to EVERYTHING?  I'm in the Northeast and roll my eyes at people here who don the big belt buckle/hat/boot look just because they're attending a country music concert just like I giggle at all the privileged suburban white boys who slouch into hip hop shows with "gangsta"-style saggy plus-sized jeans and backwards caps.  I can understand the need for a hat and boots if you are actively working with cattle but at a party?  It's not like I wear a pilgrim outfit, even at Thanksgiving...

• Love 5

do people in the Texas/Oklahoma region ALWAYS wear cowboy hats and boots to EVERYTHING?

No, they don't.  I was born and raised in western Oklahoma and you only see that type of dress when it's for something special, church included. I wouldn't be surprised if when the invitations went out for this party that it said wear your best western wear b/c it was to be filmed, and even if they weren't asked to wear their cowboy best i'm sure anyone that thinks they might show up on camera for a tv show is going to dress their best.  We have to remember this is a lifestyle show, so she is wanting her and her life portrayed in a certain way.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

Thanks.  That makes sense.  And now at the risk of setting off a range war, I have to wrap my brain around the idea of a cowboy hat and boots being your "best" outfit...

• Love 2

From a fashion standpoint I totally get what you're saying, but that cowboy stuff can be insanely expensive.  I'm sure there's a certain amount of one-upmanship going on.  Like the way certain segments of the population wears a lot of bling. You don't see Ladd's mother dressing that way.  She is a very classy lady.

"Simply the Best," 2013 episode. Wish I'd taken a drink every time she said "love." It would have improved her attempts at humor. This woman and her superlatives . . .

Womder what happened to the Jack Russells. After all the yellow labs showed up, every now and then she mentions the bassetts, but the terriors seem to have disappeared into thin air.

Can't WAIT for the new episode! Tex-Mex! She NEVER does that, and man, I bet she "just loves" it!

• Love 1

Well that was a different variation of the "chicken tortilla casserole."  The version my mother makes doesn't have beans, rice, salsa verde, or enchilada sauce.  The chicken was also shredded.    I'm really surprised that she didn't use beef instead.  I wasn't sure that Ladd and the others would touch a "chicken" casserole.

So Ree does know how to make enchilada sauce.  I'm not sure if that's the proper way to make it as i've never made it before but i'm sure other here know, since the big debate last time she used the canned sauce.

I thought that tomato salad was a waste, even though it looked good, since we know the men-folk don't care for veggies.

When they showed Ree making the Mexican fruit cocktail, I at first thought she was chopping up cheese for the cocktail, but instead it was pineapple.  I guess what i'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised at Ree putting cheese in a Mexican fruit cocktail.

I loved how Ladd's father was keeping a close eye on Bryce and his friend.  I think there was a little old-school cowboy there, like he didn't quite trust Bryce's friend.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 3

So Ree does know how to make enchilada sauce.  I'm not sure if that's the proper way to make it as i've never made it before but i'm sure other here know, since the big debate last time she used the canned sauce.

Disclaimer: I have not seen this episode yet. Because even though I was able to get the SO to watch Sandra Lee for the snark factor, he refuses to even listen to PW for even a minute, my BFF is the same to, if she is here and PW comes on she requests a channel change. I will catch the rerun during the week, for snarking purposes.

But I do love good enchilada sauce and the recipe that's posted on FN is not it. You could do better with Trader Joe's frozen enchiladas.

First of all, it's not a tomato sauce. Some recipes include tomato, but the base of the sauce is dried chiles (your preferred variety) that are re-hydrated in warm water and then blended with the other ingredients. The puree is then cooked in a little bit of oil to finish it .

I was looking for a good one online and this was the first one I could find quickly:

http://mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce/

• Love 3

So Ree does know how to make enchilada sauce.  I'm not sure if that's the proper way to make it as i've never made it before but i'm sure other here know, since the big debate last time she used the canned sauce.

That's the same enchilada sauce that she demonstrated a few episodes ago that got so much discussion.  It's nothing like the kind I prefer, which is made with reconstituted dried chili peppers*.

God, what a boring episode.  Enchilada casserole is what I make when I need to clean out the refrigerator and use up a bunch of beans and leftover meat (beef, chicken, or pork).  

* Or just like mousie said.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

Was there anything that Ree didn't add to that tortilla casserole? Every time I looked up she was throwing more crap in. My brother was watching it with me and we both wondered why she made "enchilada sauce" then used that nasty bottled green stuff as well. Yuck.

We thought that watching the supervised burn-off was more interesting than anything Ree made.

Ditto on BORING episode. It's pretty bad when Ree is recycling recipes so frequently now that the enchilada sauce debacle is still fresh in everybody's mind.

• Love 1

I'm hopeful someone can also fill me in on another thing:  do people in the Texas/Oklahoma region ALWAYS wear cowboy hats and boots to EVERYTHING?  I'm in the Northeast and roll my eyes at people here who don the big belt buckle/hat/boot look just because they're attending a country music concert just like I giggle at all the privileged suburban white boys who slouch into hip hop shows with "gangsta"-style saggy plus-sized jeans and backwards caps.  I can understand the need for a hat and boots if you are actively working with cattle but at a party?  It's not like I wear a pilgrim outfit, even at Thanksgiving...

I'm from the Northeast but I've lived in Texas for 16 years now. I can count on one hand the occasions where I've seen people in boots & hats like that, and one was the State Fair. 

To be honest, it's so damned hot down here, most of what people are in is shorts and tshirts. Practicality rules!

• Love 3

I'd guess it depends on who your social circle is. A bunch of cattle ranchers? Boots and hats. Random Oklahomaians? Is that even a word? Probably not. Just like my mom's biker boyfriend always wears boots, jeans, a Harley shirt, and usually a leather vest, as do his biker friends. This is appropriate attire for every day, with nicer jeans and a long sleeve dress shirt under the vest for special occasions or funerals. Does every person who rides a motorcycle dress that way? Nope. It's the social circle. 

No, Lura, you're not the only one enjoying her episodes, but for me at least, it's a little pointless to shout into the wind, so to speak.  

Count me as someone else who really enjoys watching the show.  I loved the Graduation Party episode.  It looked like everyone was having a fabulous time.

• Love 3