Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Today's episode featured a horrendoma called "Pawhuska Cheese Steaks".  If you've been lucky enough to dodge this bullet, Ree heated sliced deli roast beef in a cast iron skillet with lots of butter, then sauteed red pepper rings and onion slices in butter.  The cheese component was straight outta a jar, nuked and with a dash of hot sauce, because her family can take the heat.  All this was piled on rolls that were toasted in - you'll never guess where this is going, kids - more butter! There was no cooking per se, which is, oddly enough, the reason I watch cooking shows.  It's all assembly from beginning to end.  Seriously a cooking-free zone. To be honest, my mom did a bit of assembling, when she wasn't actually cooking from scratch.  Maybe she should have hosted a cooking show based on her throwing a handful of frozen peas into Kraft Dinner.  Who knows.  There probably was an audience for that, if PW is any indication.  .  

• Love 4

The only time Ina does shit like that is for cocktails.  A bowl of nuts, some antipasto and some olives.  Maybe some prosciutto wrapped melon or figs.  But she would never call that abortion that Ree made cooking.  I don't see why this is considered a cooking show.  It's not even a lifestyle show.  I don't even know what it's supposed to be.

• Love 2

Today's episode featured a horrendoma called "Pawhuska Cheese Steaks".  If you've been lucky enough to dodge this bullet, Ree heated sliced deli roast beef in a cast iron skillet with lots of butter, then sauteed red pepper rings and onion slices in butter.  The cheese component was straight outta a jar, nuked and with a dash of hot sauce, because her family can take the heat.  All this was piled on rolls that were toasted in - you'll never guess where this is going, kids - more butter! There was no cooking per se, which is, oddly enough, the reason I watch cooking shows.  It's all assembly from beginning to end.  Seriously a cooking-free zone. To be honest, my mom did a bit of assembling, when she wasn't actually cooking from scratch.  Maybe she should have hosted a cooking show based on her throwing a handful of frozen peas into Kraft Dinner.  Who knows.  There probably was an audience for that, if PW is any indication.  .  

I remember that one, wondering if a Pawhuska bologna sandwich (on squishy white bread with mayonnaise!) could be far behind.  She's a disaster with a following.  That following gave this pathetic recipe a 5 star rating on FN.  Yes, a 5 star rating.  

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

I remember that one, wondering if a Pawhuska bologna sandwich (on squishy white bread with mayonnaise!) could be far behind.  She's a disaster with a following.  That following gave this pathetic recipe a 5 star rating on FN.  Yes, a 5 star rating.  

And that 5 star rating says all you need to know as to why this hack has a teevee show.

I guess that the high ratings are a sad testament that shows like Ree's and Sandra Lee's have/had large followings. (I am a bit reluctant to pick on SL because of her recent cancer scare and like I've mentioned, at least she was transparent in that she was using packaged goods and her recipes/ideas weren't ground-breaking.)

Anyway, my point is, which we've noted before, is that instead of trying to appeal to the lowest-common-denominator of home cooks, those shows ARE the target. In other words, that's the kind of food that people aspire to put on the dinner table every night. Sandra was at least trying to appeal to harried folks who worked and had families and needed shortcuts. Her intention was solid, just the execution sucked. Ree, on the other hand, acts like she's this ginger prairie goddess, grand dame of Pawhuska, who wrote the book on rib-stickin' home-cooked from-scratch meals to feed the menfolk who slave away in the fields all day. The modern day incarnation of Ma Ingalls.

Her "recipes" aren't original, her delivery embarrassing and her show smacks of aloof indulgence and recipe retreads. Would somebody look behind the curtain please?

(Once while I was at the dentist, the TV was tuned to Semi-Homemade and the episode was that awful one with "Indian food" with the dessert cups made of melted Kraft caramels. The hygienist (ironically) looked up and murmured in awe, "So many good ideas!") I'm sure she'd bow at Ree's dusty feet.

• Love 8

I was in a discussion about Ree a couple days ago, well, Ree and FN in general. My mom once loved FN but rarely watches anymore, because as she says "I already know how to open a can", her sister-in-law, however, loves the network now. She is a huge Sandra Lee fan, has all her books, and unleashes her recipes frequently, so Ree was like the second coming to her. My mom was trying not to be rude and said that she likes to watch a cooking show that teaches her something she doesn't know how to do, or present her with a new way to make a familiar recipe. My aunt responded by saying that she watches Ree "because everyone cooks like that", she went on to say that she's not really learning anything, either, but likes "watching someone who cooks like me". So that made me wonder if people aren't watching this as an instructional show, but more of a validation?

• Love 6

WhitneyWhit, I think you're onto something there re the validation. I can appreciate there's people out there who were never shown any cooking when they were young and are looking to just get going on the basics. But it would seem even those are capable of reading the back of a Campbell's mushroom soup can or the recipe on a bag of spaghetti and doing the same thing Ree does. It's not like Ree is demonstrating technique or anything that will add to these basic sodium-, fat- and sugar-laden vats of "food" she is supposedly lovingly doling out to her hard-toiling family (which I don't believe for one Oklahoma second). I can't help but think her rabid followers feel she gives them permission to not overthink anything. "If Ree and her family can stay so slim eating vats of butter and sugar every day, I can do it, too! It downhome country food that doesn't have fancy ingredients; tastes sooooo good my family just gobbles it up, and it's the way 'real people' cook and eat, unlike the fancy stuff those snooty beeyotches Ina and Giada make!!"

Speaking of Ina, I heard Ree tell her viewers to buy "good quality" canned enchilada sauce. Dear God.

• Love 4

I was in a discussion about Ree a couple days ago, well, Ree and FN in general. My mom once loved FN but rarely watches anymore, because as she says "I already know how to open a can", her sister-in-law, however, loves the network now. She is a huge Sandra Lee fan, has all her books, and unleashes her recipes frequently, so Ree was like the second coming to her. My mom was trying not to be rude and said that she likes to watch a cooking show that teaches her something she doesn't know how to do, or present her with a new way to make a familiar recipe. My aunt responded by saying that she watches Ree "because everyone cooks like that", she went on to say that she's not really learning anything, either, but likes "watching someone who cooks like me". So that made me wonder if people aren't watching this as an instructional show, but more of a validation?

I think this is the case, WhitneyWhit.  Food Network veered away from instructional cooking shows to being more entertainment-based a few years ago, and you can see that in shows like Ree's.  It's not a show where you really learn to cook - it's more about watching her cook while droning on about her fairly boring life.  I think you're right that validation is one thing for some and entertainment for others who enjoy watching anyone cook (even if they suck).  I fall into the latter, but like some of the kindred spirits here I enjoy scrutinizing the show.  Which I'm sure absolutely mystifies people who don't share the interest.  lol. 

Ree's chicken spaggetti is almost the same as Anna Duggar's chickenetti recipe.

It does look the same, doesn't it?  When I watched it again it reminded me of the 70s versions of chicken or turkey tetrazzini that my mom would sometimes make (and my dad would groan about because he didn't like stuff like that).  Ree dolled it up by boiling her spaghetti in store bought chicken stock.  She's so clever.

I like to watch people cook too, but I'm getting beyond sick of watching people chop onions and herbs and stuff (looking at you Ina).  I guess I've just seen it too many times now.  If they used the time we watch while someone chops vegetables to learn some of the more obscure techniques that we aren't already familiar with it would be much appreciated.  YMMV.

My mileage does vary.  I have learned some great cooking techniques from Ina over the years. 

Ree -   what you want not to do to create a good meal.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

Kudos to Ree and to the posters on this thread.  Couldn't sleep last night, so I came in here, and pretty soon I was laughing uncontrollably over the comments!  I think there's more writing talent on this thread than on any other thread on the entire board!

My DVR came up on "Ranch Games" (or was it "Cowboy Games"?).  Heaven help us if they hold this thing once a year.  Ladd Drummond and kin against Ladd's brother and kin.  The day began with saddling up.  Little Todd said to his dad, "Hey, LOOK, Dad!  I got a new horse!!!"  Ladd's flat-toned response was "Good job, Todd."  HUH?  Is that all he can say?  And what's the good job about getting a new horse?  Every time a kid would win a contest (such as lassoing), you'd hear "Good job" yelled from somewhere by Ladd.  My favorite game was the two-legged race in which the adults also took part.  Ree landed flat on her ass in the dirt.  She looked better than when she's cooking.  Their meal was beef brisket covered with a Ree sauce of ketchup, hot sauce, and dried onion soup mix.  (I swear.)  Dessert was ice cream sandwiches between chocolate chip cookies that had strange, strange spices added to them.

When this episode comes along on your DVR, switch the drinking game word to "Good job," and be prepared to get sloshed.

• Love 4

Ketchup and onion soup mix?  For reals?  I haven't had that combo since the early 1970s. My father actually made this, using chuck roast, when my mom came home after being hospitalized.  It was the only complete dinner he'd ever cooked, since my mom was Queen of the Kitchen and he was relegated to being King of the Grill.   Being adventurous, he may have thrown a glug of HP Sauce into the mix instead of the ketchup. 

I can't wait for Ree to make chicken with a jar of apricot jam, a bottle of Catalina dressing and a package of onion soup mix.  She'll rave about the glorious neon-orange colour and divine stickiness of the sauce.  Then she can make a flavourful trifle using Jello made with only the hot water component (so it's thicker), partially gelled and mixed with a tub of Cool Whip.  This glorious yummy mixture will be layered with Sara Lee Pound Cake and served straight from the Pyrex bowl it was mixed in. 

• Love 4

My mileage does vary.  I have learned some great cooking techniques from Ina over the years.

Oh, ITA with this.  Ina is my absolute favorite when it comes to learning the best way to make just about anything.  I wasn't criticizing Ina.  Maybe her producers should focus on other things besides rudimentary knife skills.

• Love 1

Today was the first time I ever saw the infamous chicken spaghetti -- somehow, I always manage to miss it, and really wish I had today. I have a natural aversion to cream of anything soup, so that clouds by judgement right of the bat, but goodness, what an unappealing dish.  Forgive me for this visual, but it looked like vomit in a bowl.  I was confused by the cheddar; not that I think anything would improve that dish (short of throwing it away) but why not parmesan? Or mozzarella? 

• Love 1

I think "good job" (but about a new horse?) over Ree's HIGH FIVE. But that's me.....heh - you walked in the door HIGH FIVE, you washed your hands HIGH FIVE! You drew a picture HIGH FIVE! JMO.

Edited by maggiemae

Just saw the Walmart commercial with Ree - so who's the family she's eating with?  I didn't recognize anyone from her own family.

She bought 'em at Walmart -- they're selling whole families, now -- need a double coupon, tho.

• Love 2

She bought 'em at Walmart -- they're selling whole families, now -- need a double coupon, tho.

Ha.  I haven't checked her blog lately.  Maybe she's raffling off the opportunity for her readers to take part in this super-special thing to promote her line of inexpensive, Chinese-manufactured Americana-styled dishware?  Special favor given to people with Bozo the clown red hair who wear ugly blouses and cowboy boots.

Another snoozer today.  Sausages with onions on a roll and coleslaw.  <snore> I think if she had used better-looking sausages it might have been a little more appealing*.  Hers looked like the garden variety, grocery store sausages that you find next to the packaged Oscar Mayer bologna that are nothing special.  

* Not like what Amy Thielen would use.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

How is pepper (black pepper) a cowboy staple? Is there a cowboy mention quota she has to fill each episode. I don't know why I'm still surprised by this woman.

Pie was fine I guess but all I could think about was how Kiwi Lime Pie was what caused Ross to have an allergic reaction on Friends. ("You said Key lime pie." "No, I said kiwi lime." "I'm allergic to kiwis!")

I don't eat meat and I'm hella sensitive so it always bums me out when those cattle get shipped out. At least they don't have to watch Ree bring her hungry Cowboys basic food and everyone eat it with dirty hands.

• Love 3

Ha.  I haven't checked her blog lately.  Maybe she's raffling off the opportunity for her readers to take part in this super-special thing to promote her line of inexpensive, Chinese-manufactured Americana-styled dishware?  Special favor given to people with Bozo the clown red hair who wear ugly blouses and cowboy boots.

Another snoozer today.  Sausages with onions on a roll and coleslaw.  <snore> I think if she had used better-looking sausages it might have been a little more appealing*.  Hers looked like the garden variety, grocery store sausages that you find next to the packaged Oscar Mayer bologna that are nothing special.  

* Not like what Amy Thielen would use.

FN has not renewed the very talented James Beard award winner Amy Thielen, but keeps Ree.  I hope PBS picks up Amy’s show.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

I had to take a break from this new episode when, in the first 2 minutes and within 30 seconds of each other, she both said "This Kiwi Lime pie is a cross between...." and then just said it's basically Key Lime pie with kiwis in it and then turned the food processor off so she could talk about how much she loves food processors. I couldn't hear anything for a bit because I was laughing so hard.

And yet another episode with cole slaw. How many times can she make that with a twist?

I won't even dignify the "sausages" with the spicy sauce and onions with a comment.

• Love 1

So many flavors going on in that spread: horseradish, hot sauce, celery seed, grainy mustard, Foster's lager, chili sauce, malt vinegar and curry powder. Yuck.

So was it the smidge of curry powder that was supposed to make the sauce "spicy?" Go easy because Ladd and the kids don't like it. Then why add it? I've never heard of having to chase curry powder with a hit of brown sugar. Yes, Ree. That mess definitely seemed like random ingredients yanked off the pantry shelves. I've seen worse mishmashes on "Chopped," yield better results.

To me, kiwi and lime don't sound appetizing together. I could totally picture a pie with kiwis and strawberries. That's one of my favorite fruit combos.

Ree's nervous giggling was on overdrive today. So annoying.

The most interesting bit was 5-Pack Chuck talking about how they had to ship cattle by train "back in the day." I actually now think that the ranching stuff is far more interesting than the *cough* cooking. Also, why the hell does Ree get to sit home in the kitchen and Missy has to work her ass off all morning out in the fields? Wouldn't that have been a prime opportunity for Ree to whip out one of her freezer meals? SMH.

• Love 6

... I don't eat meat and I'm hella sensitive so it always bums me out when those cattle get shipped out. ... 

Me too.  I tried to watch the first show & couldn't stomach the cattle scenes so I've never watched again.  Doesn't seem like I've missed much. 

FN has not renewed the very talented James Beard award winner Amy Thielen, but keeps Ree.  I hope PBS picks up Amy’s show.

I'd love that.  However, Sara Moulton has said that cooks must raise a certain amount of money for PBS in order to have their shows added to the schedule, & Ellie Krieger recently started a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a proposed new series. All of which strikes me as slightly distasteful on the part of PBS & I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for declining to participate under those circumstances.  Nevertheless, PBS would be a much better venue for Amy Thielen than Food Network (just as it has been for Sara Moulton & will be for Ellie Krieger).

• Love 1

I'd love that.  However, Sara Moulton has said that cooks must raise a certain amount of money for PBS in order to have their shows added to the schedule, & Ellie Krieger recently started a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a proposed new series. All of which strikes me as slightly distasteful on the part of PBS & I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for declining to participate under those circumstances.  Nevertheless, PBS would be a much better venue for Amy Thielen than Food Network (just as it has been for Sara Moulton & will be for Ellie Krieger).

Wow. That's just sad.

• Love 1

PBS needs funds to air these programs. They get less than 10% of their needed funds from the NEA. Since Lidia Bastianich was exec producer of Amy's FN show and she has no problems having shows on PBS, I'm thinking maybe Amy doesn't want to do any more TV. I don't follow her on social media, but I'd guess that's one place to ask. Amy's cooking is not pedestrian enough to appeal to the dumbed down audience that Ree appeals to.

PBS needs funds to air these programs. They get less than 10% of their needed funds from the NEA. ...

I know that PBS needs money to operate, it's just unpleasant to see "the talent" having to beg in order to get on the air.  PBS' frequent pledge breaks are equivalent to the constant commercials on other channels & both are acceptable methods, but I guess they don't raise enough money to cover everything (& I have no bright ideas about how to fill the gaps).

Unfortunately, the very kind of people I want to watch are too quiet, modest, & dignified to be natural hustlers as needed by PBS -- whereas Ree Drummond would no doubt take to it with gusto, but it's not required of her at FN.

Me too.  I tried to watch the first show & couldn't stomach the cattle scenes so I've never watched again.  Doesn't seem like I've missed much. 

I miss them both!

Plus I loved Ready, Set, Cook! and well...Emeril Live (back in Food networks infancy) and even David Rosenberg.

Oh and Sarah Moulton!

So many flavors going on in that spread: horseradish, hot sauce, celery seed, grainy mustard, Foster's lager, chili sauce, malt vinegar and curry powder. 

Now doesn't that sound yummy? Like a dudebro frat-puking after  "Beer & Brats" week, or (Godwin alert) Hitler, wandering through a beergarten in '32 in search of grainy Austrian mustard -- and finding only Dijon -- deciding to breach the Maginot Line, then and there. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2
(edited)

This morning we got a rerun of one of her meatloaf monstrosities. One for her crew and one for Josh's. It's also where we got her take about why meatloaf gets a bad rap. "I think it's because it's got loaf in it. The word loaf is suspicious." What? LOL

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1

For some unknown reason, Ree said that every time she uses curry powder in a recipe, that she adds light brown sugar. She said that Ladd and the kids didn't like curry powder, so I guess it was to neutralize all of that fiery pungent spice. /eyeroll.

• Love 1

What kind of sausages were those? They looked like regular hotdogs to me.

She called them smoked sausages, so I think they were the Johnsonville brand of smoked sausages, which near as I can tell are just hot dogs with a touch of smoke flavoring.

She called them smoked sausages, so I think they were the Johnsonville brand of smoked sausages, which near as I can tell are just hot dogs with a touch of smoke flavoring.

I thought the same thing.  I think they're gross, personally, and can't imagine any way of dressing them up to be delicious.  It's like doctoring up Campbell's soup with basil and creme fraiche.  It still tastes like Campbell's soup.

• Love 1

I've been (sorta) looking into the sugar in stew thing. Looks like there are several thoughts - type of beer used, need to balance out salty savory flavor of stew, or bitterness, and something to do with tomatoes are some examples.

In any event....brown sugar is used...not white.

This is one reason I have never tried a PW recipe and rely on Ina. She explains the type of beer to use, ie. It is not all a "good" ingredient but she explains why a certain ingredient is used (ie type of beer).

So many flavors going on in that spread: horseradish, hot sauce, celery seed, grainy mustard, Foster's lager, chili sauce, malt vinegar and curry powder. Yuck.

So was it the smidge of curry powder that was supposed to make the sauce "spicy?" Go easy because Ladd and the kids don't like it. Then why add it? I've never heard of having to chase curry powder with a hit of brown sugar. Yes, Ree. That mess definitely seemed like random ingredients yanked off the pantry shelves. I've seen worse mishmashes on "Chopped," yield better results.

To me, kiwi and lime don't sound appetizing together. I could totally picture a pie with kiwis and strawberries. That's one of my favorite fruit combos.

Ree's nervous giggling was on overdrive today. So annoying.

The most interesting bit was 5-Pack Chuck talking about how they had to ship cattle by train "back in the day." I actually now think that the ranching stuff is far more interesting than the *cough* cooking. Also, why the hell does Ree get to sit home in the kitchen and Missy has to work her ass off all morning out in the fields? Wouldn't that have been a prime opportunity for Ree to whip out one of her freezer meals? SMH.

That's one of the things that so bugs me about Ree and this is something that I was thinking during one of her enchilada episodes (because I'm sure she's done more than one). Her only contribution to the ranch is the cooking (from what it looks like on the show), so why is she opening cans and using shortcuts? I've made enchilada sauce; it's not that time-consuming. Using jarred pasta sauce (which I'm guilty of using, but I don't get to spend all day cooking at home), ready-made enchilada sauce, and that 7-can Geneva Convention-violating atrocity is all too much. Not to mention doing the Sandra Lee "assemble ready-made items" thing.

If she gets to avoid the day-to-day ranch work, then she can at least cook things from scratch and more nutritionally-balanced meals. None of this "Cowboys™ don't eat vegetables" crap. They do if they don't want to spend their days in the field with constipation cramps and downing Phillips as if it were bourbon.

• Love 7

I've been (sorta) looking into the sugar in stew thing. Looks like there are several thoughts - type of beer used, need to balance out salty savory flavor of stew, or bitterness, and something to do with tomatoes are some examples.

In any event....brown sugar is used...not white.

This is one reason I have never tried a PW recipe and rely on Ina. She explains the type of beer to use, ie. It is not all a "good" ingredient but she explains why a certain ingredient is used (ie type of beer).

I could be wrong, and I don't care enough to find out, but i could have sworn that I've seen Martha Stewart use brown sugar in stew.  Or maybe it was on America's Test Kitchen?  I do know for a fact that I saw Kevin Dundon put brown sugar into a tomato sauce, so I don't know if that's the done thing in Ireland.  Either way, I don't think the color of the sugar really makes a difference.  In the scheme of all the crap she was dumping into that sauce, the molasses won't matter.

I think it would be funny if Ree had an online auction for "A Day At the Ranch with Ree" ... and nobody bid.

I was so hard up for something to watch last night that I watched a re-run of a re-run of the ranch burning -- that is, the old grass being burned off.  She was talking about how much Grandpa Chuck liked to give her boys a rough time (and we'd already seen him laughing over it).  Suddenly, she must have thought it sounded like she disapproved of Chuck because she added, as demurely as a Sunday School teacher, "But, of course, he does it out of love" and pursed her lips in a little smile.  No, Ree, really?  We all thought that Chuck ate little boys for dinner.

• Love 1