Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Has she ever said why she cooks mainly pasta and chicken on the show?

She cooks pasta with beef too. :)

Remember the first rule of Pioneer cooking, vegetables are OK if you are feeding the womenfolk, but the cowboys require meat.

• Love 3

I'm not seeing a thread for this week's engagement party, so here goes.  I am watching today's episode, and I am noticing a familiar theme.  Ree and family throw "parties" at the "ranch" quite often for the storyline, yet no one attending these "parties"  ever seems at ease.   It always feels so very forced.  She annoys the fuck outta me (although, I have her first cookbook, and I used to follow her blog religiously).  Not sure if I am the only one, but she received many more "hits" on her site from me prior to this show.  Now I just cannot stand her.

Tabloidlover - your story is mine.  This is just exactly how I feel about Ree and the show.  Quit watching and following the blog once I found out the Drummonds are multi-millionaires and apparently put a big PR firm to work pushing her blog out there when it was new.  Grass roots following, my hiney...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

I like her house and her kitchen; it's a pleasant fantasy to have a house like that.

Agree to disagree on the house - or wherever it is she does most of the filming.  They talk about a house and the "lodge."  I'm assuming she's at the lodge most of the time and to me, that place looks a big old garage that someone did over - poorly.  If they ever film at their actual home, I don't think I've seen it.

I was looking forward to the Marlboro Woman recap also. I have no idea why, but I was not approved to join!

Anyway, apparently all she has to do is melt cheese and people watch.

I notice you have to have a paid subscription to join that site now.  Sorry, ain't paying for something like that.  Too bad too as it sounds fun to read!

• Love 1

What's new is old again, grisgris!  

Tex Mex lunch a la the school cafeteria for my hard-workin' ranchers!  This batch of Velveeta queso is super special, kids, because it has not one but TWO varieties of canned green chili stuff!

I'd like to nominate this episode for the least inspired, most phone-it-in episode ever aired on FN.  It would have to compete with about 10 other PW episodes, but this one really has a shot at winning.

Edited by anneofcleves

I'd like to nominate this episode for the least inspired, most phone-it-in episode ever aired on FN.  It would have to compete with about 10 other PW episodes, but this one really has a shot at winning.

At least she started with dried beans. I figured she'd open a few cans and then jazz them up with some of her super-special ingredients.

I did get one thing from the show and that was the recipe for the Angel cookies.  They look just like the light, crispy sugar cookies one of my grandmothers made (the one who never wrote down recipes), and I'm excited to try them.  Of course, these are not a Ree recipe but are from a dear lady from one of their local churches, and the use of cream of tartar tells me it's an old recipe.

One of the FN reviewers mentioned rolling the cookies into a log and freezing, for slice and bake cookies, which sounds like a great idea.

• Love 1

I did get one thing from the show and that was the recipe for the Angel cookies.  They look just like the light, crispy sugar cookies one of my grandmothers made (the one who never wrote down recipes), and I'm excited to try them.  Of course, these are not a Ree recipe but are from a dear lady from one of their local churches, and the use of cream of tartar tells me it's an old recipe.

One of the FN reviewers mentioned rolling the cookies into a log and freezing, for slice and bake cookies, which sounds like a great idea.

Ooh yes!  Please share when you have tried them :) 

The blueberry lemonade looked terrific to me but she used 24 lemons and with lemons running nearly a dollar apiece where I live, that would be one expensive drink before you even considered the $3 - 5 worth of blueberries...

• Love 2

Really....and she hardly lives where she can grow her own lemon trees.

About the Velveeta Queso (I didn't see Ree's version) but I have seen lots of recipes that jazz them up. Anyway, in the 80's my office had a lot of potlucks and one would bring the cheese/rotel version and a friend and I would say....bring the bean dip!!! She would reply there are NO beans in it. It happened over and over but she finally grew exasperated so we started calling "Eileen's No Bean Bean Dip" and requested that. LOL. Haven't had it in 30ish years though.

I think that I saw the original 16 minute meal episode. She used a package of taco seasoning for one recipe and then some cooking sherry for a chinese dish. Could she be taking Aunt Sandy's place on the FN.

• Love 1

So now she is showing us how to make a basic cookie recipe and how to dip strawberries in chocolate....its just a matter of time before we get an entire episode on how to open a can or jar and how to boil pasta or melt butter in the microwave.  I honestly don't know why I continue to watch this show, I learn more from actual cooks on PBS shows like ATK and Martha Stewart.

• Love 5

I'd like to see more about the progress of the downtown building.

If you get a chance to rewatch the original episode in which she brings lunch to the workers on the building, freeze frame the sign on the front door.  It's an announcement that they are not hiring.  Understandable but probably shouldn't have gotten into the shot.

Is that a legit meatloaf recipe? 4lbs ground beef 12 slices of white bread, 2 cups of milk 8 eggs???? I've made a lot of meatloaf in my time and I can't imagine what those proportions would turn out ! Not to mention the package of bacon she put on top of each loaf!!

• Love 1

I watched the herbal episode this weekend and while the lemon rosemary scones sounded good, her finished product looked like frosted focaccia.  Aren't scones supposed to be high and kind of light?

• Love 3

I've had scones in a variety of shapes and thicknesses, but I agree that hers always look thin.  And sad and pathetic.  I rarely have seen a recipe where they call for them to be less than 1 inch thick.  I don't like mine iced, either.  The scone is about the beautiful crumb.

• Love 2

I saw the meatloaf ep again ( I have a depressing amount of free time). Why not add the "scrumptious" sauce to the actual meatloaf? Would it change the "soft and pillowy" texture?

Also how does she get the bread all mixed in evenly? It doesn't seem possible.

She should call that dish meat soufflé.

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 2

I adore pie and was kind of excited to see a show focused on it.  But then I realized who I was watching.

Her apple pie looked darn good until she gilded the lily with the caramel and the pecans.  She just doesn't know when to stop sugaring things up.

I was also questioning the logistics of the strawberry pretzel pie.  Has anyone made a crust like that with the pretzel pieces so large?  It seems like the crust would totally fall apart upon cutting.  And the amount of strawberries and whipped cream on that pie was absurd.  How in the world cut you cut that thing into reasonably sized pieces?

I was also wondering whether a grasshopper pie made with 2 contains of marshmallow fluff would end up being a little rubbery.  But then I googled and found a very similar recipe at the Kraft website (figures) and assumed it must be ok.

I was also wondering WHY Ree was piling the filling so high in those pies. I think I probably would have placed a sheet pan under those pies in the event the filling would ooze or topple over.

I thought Ree looked better than usual today. Her hair was a pretty color and looked healthy and shiny and her makeup has improved somewhat. She still needs to ditch the heavy black liner/mascara on her lower eyelids. 

Cooks country just made the strawberry pretzel pie on their show. They called it strawberry salad for some reason. The ground the pretzels fine, whipped cream, and gelatin made w puréed frozen strawberys and another lb of sliced strawberys added in.

I don't know what Cooks Country is, but I've had a bar kind of "dessert" at almost every picnic/cookout I've ever attended here in Ohio and it's basically what Ree made with the pretzels and strawberries. Pretzel crust, layer of sweetened cream cheese, and a top layer of a sliced strawberry and Jello like mixture. For some reason, it's always called strawberry pretzel salad and served with the burgers as a side dish, never as a dessert. Never had it as a pie, but it's the same concept. Very tasty! I wanted to see her cut the pie today. I can't imagine trying to slice into it and the whole thing not spilling out. It reminded me of the giant stuffed apple pies that Paula Dean and other FN chefs were raving about a few years ago that were about 8 inches high. How the hell do you slice those things? The blueberry galettes looked really good. I'd probably like about 3 bites of the apple pie, but a little would go a long way. 

Cook's Country is a cooking show on PBS, where all the real cooking shows are. It's produced by America's Test Kitchen. They make Ree look like the hack she is (my opinion). They also produce a cooking show named America's Test Kitchen. If you enjoy cooking, I highly recommend both shows.

• Love 6

Did I miss something? At the beginning of the pie show today she said she was adding 3 cups of flour, which she did...right after she dumped the 3rd cup of flour into the bowl she said she was using a 1 1/2 cup measure to make it easier.

I am not a math genius but I am pretty sure that would be 4.5 cups of flour.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
So now she is showing us how to make a basic cookie recipe and how to dip strawberries in chocolate....its just a matter of time before we get an entire episode on how to open a can or jar and how to boil pasta or melt butter in the microwave.

I can see it now:  The Pioneer Woman devotes an entire episode on how to make Rice Krispie treats and the correct way to make Kool-Aid. 

I make a very good apple crumble pie (sans pecans and jarred caramel sauce) and it comes to the plate looking like it got hit by a car.  But it's delicious.

Over 60 "just"s in 30 minutes.  Get that woman a thesaurus.

• Love 4

I have actually made Ree's apple carmel pie from this past Saturday's episode and it is delicious!!!  It is different than a standard apple pie just because it has the crumble rather than a pie crust. I am not the biggest fan of standard apple pie so that's why I tried this and I really liked it. I made it for Thanksgiving a few years ago and it was a huge hit. 

I also have had a version of the strawberry pretzel pie at just about every potluck I've ever attended so Ree's version is just a different spin on that.  The times I have tried the potluck versions, it's been really good so I imagine the pie is as well.

• Love 2

Cook's Country is a cooking show on PBS, where all the real cooking shows are. It's produced by America's Test Kitchen. They make Ree look like the hack she is (my opinion). They also produce a cooking show named America's Test Kitchen. If you enjoy cooking, I highly recommend both shows.

PBS has the best shows. I'm looking foward to Thursday. Hubert Keller's show, he will be making brioche and brioche pretzels.

On topic: I haven't watched today's show but I did record it, I love Thanksgiving episodes, even if it's Ree.

Edited by imjagain

Oh, I was referring to today's new episode about the Thanksgiving sides.  So it would be the one with the brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and 18 other ingredients.  Did I see Velveeta and a can of Rotel in there?  I could have been hallucinating.

• Love 2

How could any of those sides she made feed the crowd that she had coming?  I understand that the others were bringing food as well, I just hope somebody else made dressing and brought rolls.  Ah well I just made it to the end of the episode and it doesn't look anyone else brought anything other than desserts like she mentioned.  That turkey was even tiny and wouldn't feed that crowd, especially since we know how the Drummond men eat.  I guess this episode was filmed in August or September and the "Thanksgiving" dinner was just for show that's why it wasn't an all out feast.

Edited by CMH1981

I'm surprised that Ree made dressing with brussels sprouts, (and butternut squash) given that the Drummond men hate vegetables so much and brussels sprouts tend to rank rather high on a lot of people's "hate" list. Yeah, there was WAY too much going on with that dish. Brussels sprouts deserve to be a stand-alone dish.

The directions on how to make the rolls was rather vague. I recall Ree saying, "I added a bunch of flour." Really? How much? A few cups, a whole bag? Then she said, "I just add more flour." Either she was pulling the recipe out of her ass or she was playing like she was a real pioneer woman who could create dishes based on "feel", etc. like good old grandma used to do. /eye roll

The broccoli and wild rice casserole looked like something I might try.

I liked what I could glimpse of Alex's new haircut and highlights. Very pretty. OTOH, I thought the black sweater Ree was wearing was ugly. I couldn't tell if it had some type of cheesy Thanksgiving or Autumn design on it.

• Love 1