Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I was kind of listening to this episode while I did some chores, but paid attention to her sweet potato casserole recipe.  She talked about that recipe like it was really something different.  It seemed to be the basic sweet potato casserole to me (maybe not putting marshmallows on top made it different?).  I did think that putting an entire cup of sugar in the mixture was a little much.  That was a lot of sugar.  I think I usually put some brown sugar in mine (it's been a while since I made it).  I think I usually put some orange juice in mine as well and cinnamon (and maybe nutmeg).  Her version just seemed like the only flavor would be sweet.  I do top mine with sweet pecans, though, but just some chopped pecans mixed with some brown sugar.  Not really a streusel like hers. 

Edited by BooksRule

I haven't watched either of these episodes yet. I will have to wait until they are re-run during the week. Over the years, I have taught my SO to watch SLop for the snark value, but he can't stand PW and will leave the room (and maybe even the house, time to walk the dog) if that show is on Saturday morning. :)

When I cook for Thanksgiving I don't really use recipes anymore, just keep it simple. It's never a large group. A number of years ago, I found a recipe for sweet potatoes that is basically just bake your sweet potatoes whole (can do ahead), then scoop out and mash the flesh, season, maybe add a little brown sugar (to taste) and 2 - 3 beaten eggs. Then into a casserole dish and bake. The eggs lighten the texture and cause it to puff up a bit, but not enough to call it a souffle. If you are so inclined you can add a shot of Amaretto, very good match with sweet potatoes, or bourbon. I tried an Emeril recipe once, where he made this type of casserole with a streusel topping with toasted coconut and macadamia nuts. It was good, but it was more like dessert than a side dish.

The broccoli and wild rice casserole looked like something I might try.

Invite me over when you make it, grisgris.  It looked like a nice recipe, but I'm not sure about the competing, very strong flavors between the broccoli and 100% wild rice.  I wouldn't hesitate to make it with a good white rice or even a brown jasmine rice, which would give it a nice nutty flavor.

The sweet potato recipe is 100% identical to the ones my aunt brings every year.  It's been around a long time.  They are very sweet, like dessert.

• Love 2

I watched it last night, and I have a question.  Since when is it a "homemade cream of mushroom sauce" if it is just sautéed veggies with chicken broth?  It did not resemble cream of mushroom soup in any way, shape, or form.  I even re-wound it, because I was certain I had missed something.  That 1/4 cup of flour didn't come close to making it thick enough.  That recipe was a bit wtf for me. 

And her dressing was a clusterfuck.  It looked like she just threw a bunch of leftover veggies from fridge in it.  NOT dressing, imo.  That would never fly in my house.

• Love 1

Well, she added a slash of heavy cream to the COM wannabe towards the very end. Color me surprised that she didn't throw a handful of cheddar or pepper jack cheese over the top.

The dressing was missing jalapenos!

OK, I saw the side dishes episode this morning (came on right after SO left to take the dog out) and it was awful. The sweet potato dish had a FULL cup of white sugar added to the sweet potatoes and then another FULL cup of brown sugar added to the topping.

GrisGris, the idea of the wild rice and broccoli casserole is good, the execution was horrible. When she added the cream into the rapidly boiling chicken stock it looked like it curdled.  I would probably try that with a more conventional roux based sauce.

I have actually made Ree's apple carmel pie from this past Saturday's episode and it is delicious!!!  It is different than a standard apple pie just because it has the crumble rather than a pie crust. I am not the biggest fan of standard apple pie so that's why I tried this and I really liked it. I made it for Thanksgiving a few years ago and it was a huge hit. 

I also have had a version of the strawberry pretzel pie at just about every potluck I've ever attended so Ree's version is just a different spin on that.  The times I have tried the potluck versions, it's been really good so I imagine the pie is as well.

That was a standard Dutch Apple Pie.  no more no less.  ancient recipe.  It doesn't need caramel, that's way overkill and disgusting.

• Love 1

Speaking of retread recipes, that strawberry-pretzel concoction seems to be popping up all over the place. I've seen references to it on FB and other social media sites. It just doesn't appeal to me, especially for Thanksgiving.

• Love 1

Speaking of retread recipes, that strawberry-pretzel concoction seems to be popping up all over the place. I've seen references to it on FB and other social media sites. It just doesn't appeal to me, especially for Thanksgiving.

I first heard of it years ago. Elisabeth Hasselback made it for Star Jones, EH said her husbands family made every Thanksgiving. So for some it must be a holiday dish. I had never noticed before that. Now I see it everywhere once Thanksgiving/Christmas season rolls around.

I could see it as a summer dessert but not a Thanksgiving thing( shrugs).

What is wrong with me, that I remember where I first heard of this strawberry pretzel thing? Yet I forget passwords and pin numbers all the time lol.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1
OK, I saw the side dishes episode this morning (came on right after SO left to take the dog out) and it was awful. The sweet potato dish had a FULL cup of white sugar added to the sweet potatoes and then another FULL cup of brown sugar added to the topping.

I know!  Was there any type of seasoning added?  I love sweet potatoes, but they are sweet enough on their own so that you only need to add a little added sugar (and I use brown for a little stronger flavor).  I don't know how you could make this without adding spices--at least cinnamon and some fresh nutmeg.

I always thought that the strawberry-pretzel dish was a southern thing.  It's in most of the southern cookbooks I have, although most call it a 'strawberry pretzel salad'.

Edited by BooksRule

I think I had strawberry pretzel "salad" for the first and only time in the very late 80s or early 90s at some family potluck.  It was a layered thing with a pretzel base, cream cheese filling, topped with a strawberry/Jello layer.  Or maybe it was the other way around.  It was OK, as these things go.  As much as I love pretzels, I really think a pressed graham cracker crust has better flavor than a pretzel crust.

I still want to know how she would cut that stupid pie with the size of those pretzel pieces in the crust and how high she piled it with berries.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

That strawberry pretzel thing seems to me to be the most white people food of all white people food. :D (I'm white but Italian soooo).

Also, it seems kinda gross? LIke a recipe that is from the 1970s, and should've stayed there. 

• Love 4

I always thought the same thing - how gross!  But, a couple of years ago my brother in law (Mr Bigshot Businessman) brought it to Thanksgiving.  So, I had a piece to be polite and LOVED it! I cannot explain it, other than the combination of sweet and salty that was fantastic! 

• Love 2

I always thought the same thing - how gross!  But, a couple of years ago my brother in law (Mr Bigshot Businessman) brought it to Thanksgiving.  So, I had a piece to be polite and LOVED it! I cannot explain it, other than the combination of sweet and salty that was fantastic!

I liked it too, the first time I tasted it years ago.  I think it was the first time I had eaten that sweet/salty combo (that was before I discovered how good pretzels with caramel dip were).

For what it's worth, the whitest people food of all is Australian Fairy Bread.

I had never heard of this, so I googled it.  It looks pretty good, actually (but the sprinkles would have be those soft 'frosting-tasting' kind, not the hard, crunchy kind). 

Ree Drummond's Frontier Fancy Pants Dressing

1 loaf French Bread, Split Lengthwise

2 sticks Regular (salted) Butter, Softened

Spread one stick of softened butter on each half of the loaf.

Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until butter is bubbling.

Remove from oven and let cool.

When cool, cut The Bread into cubes, then toss with 1 cup of melted butter, chopped jalapenos,

2 tsp of seasoned salt, 1 cup diced country ham and three eggs. Mix together, then press into

8 by 10 pan. Cover with 1 cup jarred marinara sauce and two cups of grated chedder. Bake

45 minutes at 350 until set.

Remove from oven, let rest for ten minutes. Cut into squares, roll in bread crumbs, then

pan fry in butter until crispy and golden. Dust with canned parmesan and then wrap in

slice of bacon and secure with toothpick. Deep fry for three minutes, until bacon

is crispy. Drain briefly, then make a hole in the center and insert a wedge of blue cheese

and roll once again in parmesan. When fully coated, roll in shredded barbecued pork, and

then in brown sugar. Saute lightly in butter until brown sugar caramelizes, then top

with the rest of the marinara sauce + 1/2 cup of melted butter, diced salami,  the tears

of the baby Jesus, 1 cup maple syrup, candied rosemary walnuts, an insulin kit,  the dreams

of Ladd's Alien Overlord and a fresh salad of arugula + four calling birds, three deep fried french hens

and two frozen Turtle Dove Bars.

Serve simply, with hot turkey gravy.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7

Fixed this for you...

JUST Spread one stick of softened butter on each half of the loaf.
Just place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until butter is JUST bubbling.
Just remove from oven and let cool.

When JUST cool, just cut The Bread into cubes, then just toss with 1 cup of melted butter, chopped jalapenos,
2 tsp of seasoned salt, 1 cup diced country ham and three eggs. Just Mix together, then just press into
8 by 10 pan. Just cover with 1 cup jarred marinara sauce and two cups of grated chedder. Just Bake
45 minutes at 350 until  JUST set.

Just Remove from oven, let rest for JUST ten minutes. Just Cut into squares, just roll in bread crumbs, then
just pan fry in butter until JUST crispy and golden. Dust with canned parmesan and then wrap in
slice of bacon and secure with toothpick. Just Deep fry for three minutes, until bacon
is just  crispy. Drain briefly, then just make a hole in the center and insert a wedge of blue cheese
and roll once again in parmesan. When fully coated, just roll in shredded barbecued pork, and
then in brown sugar. Just Saute lightly in butter until brown sugar caramelizes, then top
with the rest of the marinara sauce + 1/2 cup of melted butter, diced salami,  the tears
of the baby Jesus, 1 cup maple syrup, candied rosemary walnuts, an insulin kit,  the dreams
of Ladd's Alien Overlord and a fresh salad of arugula + four calling birds, three deep fried french hens

Scrumptious...  just di-VINE!  I just love this...

• Love 6

When cool, cut The Bread into cubes, then toss with 1 cup of melted butter, chopped jalapenos,

2 tsp of seasoned salt, 1 cup diced country ham and three eggs. Mix together, then press into

8 by 10 pan. Cover with 1 cup jarred marinara sauce and two cups of grated chedder. Bake

Remove from oven, let rest for ten minutes. Cut into squares, roll in bread crumbs, then

pan fry in butter until crispy and golden. Dust with canned parmesan and then wrap in

slice of bacon and secure with toothpick. Deep fry for three minutes, until bacon

is crispy. Drain briefly, then make a hole in the center and insert a wedge of blue cheese

and roll once again in parmesan. When fully coated, roll in shredded barbecued pork, and

then in brown sugar. Saute lightly in butter until brown sugar caramelizes, then top

Ok?

I snorted out loud when I got to "the tears of the baby Jesus..."

• Love 2

JUST Spread one stick of softened butter on each half of the loaf 

<snip for space>

LOL!  

Man, that sweet potato dish was some kind of awful -- two cups of sugar and not a unique touch anywhere  -- no unusual spices (maybe coriander?) or a sweet/salty twist -- just yuk.

My store doesn't carry dreams of Ladd's Alien Overlord and it was really hard to find Candied Rosemary Walnuts.  I'm going to try ordering dreams of Ladd's alien Overlord from Amazon.com, if they don't have it I'll have to omit that ingredient.  Other than that, I think all the ingredients are in my kitchen now.  Ready!  Set!  Cook!

• Love 1

I was watching one of today's repeats featuring Thanksgiving leftovers and thought how awful that turkey spring roll would taste with the competing flavors of rosemary-sage-citrus and Asian flavors. Not to mention that dipping sauce with cranberry sauce and hot chili oil. Shades of Robin Miller!

• Love 4

I've had horrible insomnia lately with little bits of sleep infused with very odd dreams. Last night one of my dreams was watching an entire episode of The Pioneer Woman. Everything was normal except Ladd was Keith from the current season of Survivor. I kept yelling at Ree, "Don't you see? That's not your husband!" It seemed to go on forever: Ladd/Keith moving cattle, grilling steaks, not removing his cowboy hat, etc. It was like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

I've been watching too much TV.

• Love 1

I was watching one of today's repeats featuring Thanksgiving leftovers and thought how awful that turkey spring roll would taste with the competing flavors of rosemary-sage-citrus and Asian flavors. Not to mention that dipping sauce with cranberry sauce and hot chili oil. Shades of Robin Miller!

I remember that episode. I also remember thinking that there was a good idea in there somewhere, but her execution was terrible.

• Love 1

I liked to see the building again (tacky chandelier aside). That's a gigantic space for an "office". As for the food, when the most praise is for the shrimp you did nothing with, yeah.

That building looks amazing!

The food, meh, seen it before.

One little thing always sticks out to me, why does Ree, always use mayonnaise in a squeeze bottle? I have noticed this before, it's never a jar always a squeeze bottle. I find that odd (plus I hate Mayo in squeeze bottles). She must go through large amounts of mayo judging from the food she prepares.

Has she ever said what the building will used for? I know she said she and Ladd had offices but that is huge building.

Edited by imjagain

Has she ever said what the building will used for? I know she said she and Ladd had offices but that is huge building.

I believe that she has said that they will use the upstairs for offices and the downstairs will be for a deli and retail store.

I believe that she has said that they will use the upstairs for offices and the downstairs will be for a deli and retail store.

Thanks. I could watch a whole show about just the building. Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

I can't imagine this woman running a deli and can't fathom how boring it will be.  "Would you like your #3 Cowboy Delight (bologna and jalapeno Miracle Whip on Wonder Bread) fresh and squishy or crisped up in our super fancy panini press, ma'am?"

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 5

As for the food, when the most praise is for the shrimp you did nothing with, yeah.

Nice...

I don't mind people using their hands to mix everything for meatballs or meatloaf, hell I watched Martha Stewart use her hands on her cooking school show last week and you know if that woman does it that it's okay, but could Ree take her damn wedding ring off?!  All I can think of is I hope she got that ring scrubbed really well and sanitized w/soap and water before going to town w/her hands in the food that people, other than her family members, were going to eat.

I kept expecting her to say she bought the damn brownie pops.  I'm not an expert baker of any sort, I do my best of course, but how is it a brownie if she didn't bake them?  It just sounds like some type of cookie dough / raw brownie batter dipped in chocolate.

I love what looked like such a minuscule amount of dipping sauce she had for that shrimp bar, just like the ranch dressing in the hollowed out cabbage for the veggies.

That office building looked nice, but yeah what does Ladd need an office there, much less Ree.  Their decorating of that office leave much to be desired.  With all those damn photos of her family everywhere it makes the office space look like an art gallery.  So the store/office downtown is basically an it's easier if everyone comes to our parties down here then driving all the way out to our house/lodge for parties.  I'm bet anyone dollars to donuts that eventually the office space will become a Drummond family museum of some sort for all the peasants to come see the history of the Drummonds and their ranch.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 4

Ladd, Tim, and Chuck had an old building on the ranch they were using for an office. While they were doing the new office at the building, the old building officially bit it, I think there was a storm or something. They had always planned on having a central office in town once they bought the building. Why wouldn't they need an office? They have a massive cattle operation going on, together and separately, a shit ton of records to be kept, maps of land for grazing, and I'd imagine a lot of documents and files. One of the building update pictures was of a wall of custom made filing cabinets for all the files and another picture of a really nice chest for all the maps. This isn't Joe Farmer with 100 cows and 12 acres of land who can keep his records in a couple of filing cabinets. Add Ree's blog and books, the show, and upcoming housewares line (yes, she's coming out with one), and there's more office space needed, if for no other reason than to keep their home life relatively separate from their business lives. They can go to the office and be "at work" and kinda have a home and work life, as intertwined as the two may be.  

• Love 4

Ree's coming out with a line of cookware? Any idea who is manufacturing it? I have a set of Emeril Ware I like a lot made buy All Clad. Not sure who Martha Stewart's cookware is made by. There is a Giada line at Target, and Food Network line that Bobby Flay hawks at Kohl's. And then there is the Sandra Lee crap at KMart, Marketing!

She hasn't said who from what I can tell, but here's what she posted on her blog. http://hepioneerwoman.com/blog/2014/10/fun-announcement/ I haven't looked any farther, I don't know if there's more info floating out there or not.  

ETA… Martha's line used to be at K-mart, I don't know if it still is or not. It was pretty decent, I bought some frying pans I found on the clearance end once since they had been dropped and one was dented. Got them super cheap. 

Edited by Fostersmom

With the amount of cast iron and enameled cast iron she uses, I wonder if Lodge will be involved?  Did I really see a purple, enameled cast iron pot with a handle in the shape of a butterfly?  I believe I did.

When stumbling around the internet looking for info about her cookware, I discovered this little gem from The New Yorker that is a delightfully honest review of her tv show in 2012.  I don't know how I missed this, but I'm sharing it in case others missed it, too.  The Pioneer Woman Gets Lost on the Range.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 4

I liked to see the building again (tacky chandelier aside). That's a gigantic space for an "office". As for the food, when the most praise is for the shrimp you did nothing with, yeah.

Here's one of her "updates" on the new office on her blog. There's a ton of them. I think they've done an amazing job. I mean not all the design choices are ones I would make but as far as renovations go it's pretty amazing. 

• Love 3