Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Superstar Clients

I loved Tim Gunn using the word "Janky".  A little Janky. Ok, a lot Janky.  *LOL*

That was a deserved boot, though Jackson has what Nina Garcia would call "Taste Issues".  But then, didn't his dancer say she loved the fabric?  Because that's not really his fault, though he could have steered her away.  

• Love 3

I loved the outfit Zachary made. Glad he won, he was so happy!

I agree with sending Bridgett home even though I didn't think her outfit was that bad. Jaxson's skirt was not attractive, he was saved by the cute red top.

I'm glad the dancer clients were so nice to the kids and worked well with them. I hate the adult client challenges on P.R. There always seems to be drama and bad feelings. This is why I like this show, no stupid B.S.

• Love 10

I do not understand the Samantha love from the judges. Since even Christian loved it I tried to see what her work brought to the party, and failed. The jacket was awkward, the sleeves neither 3/4 nor full length and the material made it hang awkwardly on the body. The skirt was a train-wreck, and the back had a gaping hole in the hem, while the length, mid calf, was unflattering. Army green and orange, well ok, but the subdued green that Zach used for his wide pants was a much better choice..far more chic, and it worked beautifully with his black top. In a fair world, except for the hem length, Zach's work was so beautifully designed and should have won. That said, the sassy effort from Zachary was very well done. 

Maya can tailor to beat the band, her pants were great, but the subdued top did not thrill the judges. I kept looking at the top she was wearing on her own dress on the first day...maybe she should have copied that. I am sure she designed her own look. And Peytie as well, her two piece outfit on the first day was really eye-catching, even better than her runway design.

I am sorry that Bridget is gone, I was sure that Jaxson was finally out. 

Peytie, Maya and Zach are amazingly talented.

• Love 7

Tim walking a designer to mini-Mood and helping him pick a new fabric is crossing the line from mentoring to assisting. Yes or No? Discuss amongst yourselves.

ETA: The Knicks City Dancers are brand ambassadors for the Knicks. Aside from dance ability, they are hired to be (and trained to be) approachable and personable to adults and children and they are all pretty, with great figures. None of them would ever be anything less than sweet and enthusiastic with these kids. They were a great choice for models. And I'm really glad they didn't ask the designers to make little sparkly outfits for halftime.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 9

I don't understand why they keep Jaxson.  Has he made anything that was good?  I also didn't like Samantha's.  That skirt was horrible, truly bad and paired with that puffy green jacket made that woman look like a barrel, which should have been impossible to do.

I thought Zach should have won instead of Zachary. 

• Love 9

I don't understand why they keep Jaxson.  Has he made anything that was good?  I also didn't like Samantha's.  That skirt was horrible, truly bad and paired with that puffy green jacket made that woman look like a barrel, which should have been impossible to do.

When push comes to shove, the Project Runway franchise tends to favor flamboyant/quirky males over females.  

The highlight of this episode was hearing Tim Gunn use the word janky repeatedly. Hee!

I know that he told several of their designers that their execution wasn't great in the workroom, and I wish he would bring that up more often on the regular show (although I also understand that they have insanely short deadlines these days which means corners are going to be cut).

One thing that I really like about several of these junior designers is that they are so open to Tim's suggestions and they are capable of re-evaluating their work. I loved seeing Zachary stare at his top, realize it wasn't right, and then coming up with something else. Similarly, I really appreciated that Peytie realized that the white fabric she originally chose looked cheap and that she had to choose a different fabric. I'm not a fan of mini Mood, but in cases like this it's great because it means that the designers can correct a fabric mistake since they have all those bolts just sitting around the workroom.

I hated Samantha's entire look. I hated that bulky puke green neoprene jacket and the long denim skirt separately but I hated them even more together. And whichever designer pointed out that the orange top with the olive green jacket was reminiscent of a hunter was correct. I'm not sure what she did with the seams on the skirt but she somehow managed to make a skinny dancer look like she had a pouchy belly. I also hated that Aya tried to excuse the fact that Samantha just had raw edges on that cutout thing in the back of the skirt because she was busy making the rest of the outfit. Sorry, no. And there is no way that this outfit would qualify as professional looking with that hideous jacket on.

Maya's outfit was nice but nothing to write home about. To be honest, if Tim criticized Zach's crop top and a-line skirt for being ho hum, then Maya's deserved the same comment. There was nothing wrong with Maya's outfit at all. It was tasteful, it fit well, and it was flattering on her client, but it was nothing new. What I disliked the most about it was the lace up corset back because that is almost like cheating to get a good fit. We used to make backs like that for our costumes so that they would fit everyone perfectly.

That said, I agree that Zach's actual design wasn't the most exciting from a distance but the fabric elevated it and made it interesting. I think that the details made it even better. The slightly off the shoulder neckline was fun and that 18 piece skirt was so flattering. Making it reversible seemed unnecessary, but I liked that he did it in a way that didn't make either piece seem bulky (which can sometimes happen with reversible pieces).

Jaxson's design was fine in theory (fine, not great) but the execution and fabric choice killed him. I get why he chose that colorful print for the skirt but it was so stiff. I don't know if that was more an issue with the fabric or Jaxon not knowing how to work with it. On top of that, it looked totally wrinkled. Tim told him in the workroom that the original top wasn't sewn well and the second one didn't look much better to my eye. It looked like it was about to pop apart at the three connection points in the front.

I thought Bridget's design suffered from the same problem as Zach's. It was a crop top and a skirt. At last Zach chose an interesting print. Bridget's was just boring white cotton. I don't think the kimono was enough to salvage it.

Zachary's black top and flowy pants looked nice from a distance but there were construction issues. The hem on the pants looked terrible on the runway and it seemed like the top didn't fit well.

Peytie's flowy dress had such great movement and it also looked good when her model was standing still. I usually don't like pale shades of pink, but it looked beautiful against her model's skin. I know very little about sewing, but it seemed like Peytie's dress was the kind of design that looks deceptively simple but takes a decent amount of knowledge/technical skill.

• Love 3

I have hated everything Samantha has done in this competition and I was convinced that, finally, with that ugly, unflattering outfit, she would be out the door.  But, no.......they loooooved it. Huh?

My favorite designer is Zach, who is talented, but not boastful (looking at you Zachary...).

And I loved his sweet dress and was glad he won.  And, glad he did not listen to Tim, who seemed to really dislike his concept for reasons I don't quite get.

And Jaxson gets to stay over Bridget?  What?  Yes, her outfit was not uber-fashion forward, but it was attractive, well made, and her model seemed to really like it.  That monstrosity skirt that would not be flattering on anyone was not reason for automatic elimination?  I agree with an earlier poster that Tim making comments to encourage alterations is one thing, but to actually take the kid to the mini-Mood area and pick out a replacement fabric for him was crossing the line, in my opinion.  

I really am getting to dislike Aya and her slant on things and comments.  And we could probably start a drinking game for every time Kelly gets "obsessed" with something, just like in her Fashion Police bit. Yuck.  

If the final 2 end up being Jaxson and Samantha, I won't be watching another season.   

• Love 2

Once again, Seventeen/Cosmo lady says "This is Project Runway, not Project FILL IN THE effing BLANK." Please, stop. No, seriously, just stop.

I was okay with Bridget leaving but her tears at the end just did me in. She was the bitchiest one and still mostly loveable. The adults on regular PR could definitely learn a lot about being humans from these kids.

Jaxson is most assuredly the next one to go. I don't think he has taste issues. He's a teenager, so he's still learning. I think he has fabric issues because many times when his turn out "janky," it's because he chose poorly in Mini Mood. I, too, thought Tim's help with the fabric for the top was just this side of the line or smack dab in the middle of it. Hopefully, we won't see that again.

I feel better saying now that I can't believe how much the judges love Samantha. When we were watching that outfit come down the runway, Mr. Monkey said, oh my gods, that jacket is horrible. I was thinking anyone over a size ZERO minus one, would look like a linebacker. And once again, she has poor construction and they make excuses for HER construction when everyone else's is an issue?? I'm pretty sure she's the designated winner because they like that she's got a different POV? I can't quite figure it out; that's why all my statements about her are quasi-questions.

• Love 2

I have hated everything Samantha has done in this competition and I was convinced that, finally, with that ugly, unflattering outfit, she would be out the door.  But, no.......they loooooved it. Huh?

My favorite designer is Zach, who is talented, but not boastful (looking at you Zachary...).

And I loved his sweet dress and was glad he won.  And, glad he did not listen to Tim, who seemed to really dislike his concept for reasons I don't quite get.

And Jaxson gets to stay over Bridget?  What?  Yes, her outfit was not uber-fashion forward, but it was attractive, well made, and her model seemed to really like it.  That monstrosity skirt that would not be flattering on anyone was not reason for automatic elimination?  I agree with an earlier poster that Tim making comments to encourage alterations is one thing, but to actually take the kid to the mini-Mood area and pick out a replacement fabric for him was crossing the line, in my opinion.  

I really am getting to dislike Aya and her slant on things and comments.  And we could probably start a drinking game for every time Kelly gets "obsessed" with something, just like in her Fashion Police bit. Yuck.  

If the final 2 end up being Jaxson and Samantha, I won't be watching another season.

Heh. I watched this last night (a "nothing on" kind of snowy evening). Sure enough, Kelly pulled out her tried-and-true "obsessed" reaction. Twice, I believe. Drove me nuts on FP. Not surprised to see/hear she's doing the same here.

• Love 1

Gonna jump on the "can't believe they loved Samantha's" train. That skirt was awful. Awful. And it's not like the other pieces were so wonderfully finished, either! The shirt hem was ragged and the jacket sleeves didn't look so great. Most of the kids had issues with finishing, though, so I guess the judges had to concentrate on the what-could-have-been. (Peytie's was cute from the front but in the back, there was something funny going on in the waistline on the left.)

He did. :-) (Zachary is the one from CA and Zach is the one from KY.) I find this terribly confusing and have to keep looking up which is which.

• Love 1

You said everything that I was thinking including the part about Kelly being "obsessed" with everything. I think the only thing that Kelly is "literally" "obsessed with" is using the word "obsessed."
  • Love 1

I despised Samantha's outfit, and yes, the judges gave her a tongue bath. I'm also getting a snotty, superior vibe from Samanta, and that bothers me in a teen kid.

I get that vibe too. Like it's great that she has an interest in fashion and a distinct point of view, but there's something incredibly "special snowflake" about her. She seems like someone that would denigrate most people for being too boring/untalented/uncreative for her. 

She's been my winner pick since episode 1, but I really haven't liked anything she's produced. I thought her outfit this episode was hideous, but it doesn't surprise me that it got praise from the judges. I think that Kelly and Aya really like her because they see her aesthetic as being similar to theirs and I also think they see some sort of similarity to see her as a person.

I feel badly saying this about a teen...but I didn't really find Bridget to be that talented. She's another one that gave off a very "special snowflake" vibe. I think she's good if you add in the caveat "for her age", but I don't know how good she'll be as an adult. 

I don't understand keeping Jaxon, except for the fact that they find him entertaining. He hasn't made anything good since he's been there.

Love Maya and Peytie. I like their designs and they also seem very level-headed and easy to work/get along with.

• Love 1

Cheat sheet for designers names

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway-junior/designers

I loved Zachary's olive pants and top. LOVED THEM.  Yes, they were too short and the hem was poorly done but I the look was fabulous.  Had those pants been sewn well and longer,  I think he might have won.  It would have been between he and Zack anyway.  

Zacks two piece outfit went from boring to great because it was reversible and that made the skirt have body and it looked good in motion. 

Last week we heard the cry of  "no more crop tops!"  Well we saw two with no mention.  

I have liked most of what Samantha has done but not this outfit.  It was ugly and made the model look heavy.  I guess you had to be there.  The slit in the back of the skirt was worse than the hem on Zachary's pants by a long shot.  Things must look different in person. 

Tim  helping Jackson choose a new fabric was fine with me.  He didn't design anything or tell him what to do with it.  These kids need a helping hand and Tim is doing a good job steering them.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Bridget is grunge.  LOL that's so cute.  Even when I was a kid grunge was something only the adults really understood.  I never really learned about the fashion or pop culture about the time I was born until about 20 years afterwards (thanks to Wikipedia).

The thing about Zachary is that he's really a designer.  What he makes is so wow for me.  The others range from okay to good I guess.  I think Peytie has fabulous taste and ideas. Loved the triangles on the back of her dress this week, that was fantastic!   And Samantha is good at making bold clothes.

Samantha, never liked her personality from minute one.  I don't MIND what she made, I see very much that it's cool and streetwear.  But I do not think it's at all good for a professional woman who's looking to make a good impression in her new career.  I find a bomber jacket silly and a denim skirt too casual for my INFORMAL life!

I actually really liked (Maya's?) outfit?  The one with the white top and black leggings.  It didn't hurt at all that the model looked AMAZING in it, but it was a great outfit.  The pants were so streamlined; anyone who could pull those off would look amazingly sexy and I think anyone would stare at her in the room.  The top was plain and doesn't translate onscreen but I thought the whole outfit was a winner anyway.  Who doesn't want a good looking black and white outfit?  I thought Zach's was more cliche than Maya's.  I was with Tim, I wasn't really a fan of what Zach did, he just sewed it really well.  He's a sweet kid but to me he's more of a fantastic sewer.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

When Bridget's client said she wanted a Bohemian dress I said,  awwwww no,  out loud to myself.  That is Peytie's style aesthetic and she would have made a fabulous dress, I am sure of it!  

• Love 1

From the point when Samantha chose her fabrics/color scheme up to it walking down the runway, the only thing it made me think of was "Which one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is her model dressing up as?"  I don't get Samantha's esthetic and I don't understand the heaps of praise for her work.  She looks more smug every week.

Jaxson is safe again???  He is circling the drain and needs to go soon. 

• Love 1

I had less of a problem with Tim helping in Mini-Mood than I think I would have had on the Original Recipe version.  These are kids and they deserve all the help they can get, although, amazingly, a few of them don't really need much help.  While I love original Mood and need my doses of Swatch, I think Mini-Mood would be great to have on all future seasons.  Or here's a thought--Tim plays let's make a deal--you can have all the mini-Mood you want, or he'll give you an exorbitant budget to go to real Mood but then no sampling from the back room. 

My very first reaction seeing Samantha's go down the runway was that it looked like a badly done unconventional materials challenge.  Like she'd gotten her material from a produce bag or something.  I don't get the love at all.

Peytie's dress looked great from the front, but I don't know what those black talons or whatever were doing in the back.

Zach may have won this time (I finally know Zach from Zachary), but I think from now on the only person who can beat Zachary will be Zachary, and I don't see that happening.

Usually with real model challenges they ask the clients how they liked the dress and they didn't speak to one of these women.  They could have been the regular models for all it mattered.

I can't remember who else used that crazy quilt fabric on a previous season but I think someone did with equally underwhelming results.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 1

I feel bad for Zach and Zachary because I, too, sometimes forget which one is which. I know the two people and their design aesthetic but I always hesitate with their names. It reminds me of high school when everyone was named Jennifer and Kim. On my dance team, we had six total so our teacher had them each pick a variation to differentiate them. We ended up with Jennifer, Jenn, Jenny, Kim, Kimberly, and Kimmie. Outside of dance, they all went by Kim and Jenny.

I am in awe at the love Samantha's outfits get! I have never seem her sew her hems well, and all of her outfits have come across as undone and unflattering. I cannot see how this outfit would look good on anyone, especially that stiff jacket! I was for sure she would end up on the bottom, and I feel if any other contestant sent out an outfit with hems like that they would have been at least confronted about it... It is just so odd!

• Love 1

I noticed Tim said, "Love you" to the designers twice during the episode. I'm not sure I'm ready for the Tim Gunn save. If Tim starts crying, I'm going to be a bucket of tears.  

I liked Tim's critiques on construction. It seemed like he was teaching the designers to pay attention to the fundamentals.  

Jaxson used up his 8th life by now I think. Please, no TG save on him!

• Love 4

This really seems to be the niche for the Tim Gunn I adored the first (Bravo?) seasons of PR.  Let him do this show - which I'm preferring to grown-up variety anyway - and find someone else for the adult version.  I enjoy the kids, I love Christian as a judge and the others are OK, and I don't get into rages at shenanigans, so maybe I'll just watch Junior from now on.  Riiiiight.  But I do like it better. 

• Love 7

Zachary matching the olive green to the model's eyes was very thoughtful. He's intuitive, creative, and knowledgable. Whether or not he wins, he's been a joy to watch in many ways. 

Samantha's outfit was a big miss to me, more so when they showed the back of the skirt. 

I liked Zach's thought process in putting the 'interest' at the hem, instead of breaking up the line.

I often dislike peppier reality tv personalities, but gosh darnit, Peytie's totally won me over. I think the triangles looked a little clunky, but loved the soft pink she ended up with.

I hope Maya gets back into her groove, she's interesting to watch.

I'm no too sad to see Brigitte go, but I'm ready for Jaxson to go next (please?)

• Love 3

I still like the show but for the first time I was kind of missing the adult version. I think the kids do an amazing job for their ages, but there is a whole lot of crop tops and skirts and I kind of miss more adult conversation and the longer show. I know some of you want the regular PR cancelled,but could you please just watch something else so I can have my show back? (joking of course). I liked Zach and Zachery's outfits although I think they both lacked a special occasion kind of quality.

I don't mind Samantha's looks in general and I liked the colors she used, but the jacket looked way too big and the skirt was so poorly made. Peytie's dress was cute and the rest of the outfits were boring. I do like Tim on this show and I don't mind him giving some advice on fabric. In fact, I don't mind him giving advice on the grown up show either. The designers are in such a time crunch and having an experienced teacher helping a little is fine by me.

I can't stand the sour puss judge from Seventeen magazine or wherever she is from. She is crabby and has nothing interesting to say. Kelly O lives to be "obsessed' and continues to act as if she 14, and last night I noticed Christian looked throughly bored during the judging. Maybe I will be back to liking this again next week.

• Love 3

Jaxson will most definitely be the next one to go. I think so far he's just been extremely lucky that someone has always been just a teeny bit worse than he. But I did like his outfit the first week: the neoprene pencil skirt that had the "daytime" New York skyline in greys and blacks and the reverse side on black that had the brightly coloured "nighttime" New York skyline. It was gimmicky but a neat idea. I also don't think Tim will use the Timgunnsave for Jaxson. I'm just hoping at this point, he's not saving it for Samantha. Although I doubt there's much danger in her leaving since I think she's the anointed winner, much like Ashley was in Season 14...

Difference being, her designs are better than Ashley's, although Ashley's construction was slightly better. And even though I do NOT, totally do NOT, get the Samantha love, she and everyone else on the show are far and away better than most of the contestants we see on PR Adult, both in personality and talent.

I'm ready for this to be over, now, though. I'm interested to see who they're going to bring back to Project Runway Allstars. I remember an interview with Candice, wherein she spoke about how she had moved on from her loss on the regular show and was ready for Allstars!! (Can't wait to see more black, pleather, black and a hint of red).  Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic there...

Oh, and Madding, I do not want Project Runway Regular cancelled, but I do so love to bitch and complain about it and I will not be surprised if it is cancelled soon. I don't know how much more love for it Heidi has now that she's a permanent fixture on AGT (dammit) and since Tim has expressed his distaste and burn out for PR, I won't be surprised if neither wants to continue soon. I can't honestly see them doing it without Heidi and Tim.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

Grandma Saracen, you read my mind. Peytie has won me over as well. Normally, a gorgeous California girl would not be my fave, but girlfriend is genuinely kind and talented, and her designs and construction skills are better than most of the adults on PR...including the winner of season 14. Zachary is a charmer and a whiz as well, and I continue to root for Maya, since I would happily wear every outfit she has sent down the runway.

Samantha...wearing that outfit to a job interview in marketing or fashion would send you out the door, unhired. I'm guessing that Christian was just screwing around when he lavished praise on it...if he didn't like the hemline on Zachary's outfit, the hole in the back of Samantha's skirt should have given him a migraine. and Jaxson's skirt...the fabric had a 70s palazzo pant vibe, which was unfortunate, but the guy cannot construct a skirt. Compare the pleating on Zachary's pants with the whale-hipped effect from Jaxson...the difference in skill level is amazing.

If Samantha is the designated winner, it smacks of the hugely untalented Ashley being crowned by the judges last season. Does she merit some sort of sympathy vote? It sure isn't her designs, her construction skills or her charmless persona.

• Love 2

Bit of a joke that they kept this Jaxson kid. Not only was his current outfit hideous, if we're being honest every single thing he's done has been.

Goth girl is stuck in her goth rut, but what she did was, if not imaginative, at least well made. In a week where nobody else did wrong she might have deserved a boot, but not standing next to Jaxson.

• Love 4

You said everything that I was thinking including the part about Kelly being "obsessed" with everything. I think the only thing that Kelly is "literally" "obsessed with" is using the word "obsessed."

Yes it really literally should be a drinking game.  I hated her on Fashion Police because she would bring up musicians and actors etc. that she was literally obsessed with. She needs to shut the hell up. We don't care

I loved Samantha's jacket; it was very fashion-forward for an edgier client and certainly something I would wear. I am a fan of an architectural, boxy, Japanese aesthetic, so it was a wow moment for me. I get tired of seeing everyone in form-fitting clothes--sometimes I want the piece of clothing to stand on its own, almost as if it's not part of the human wearing it. Clothes can sometimes be more than just figure-flattering pieces of fabric. You do have to be thin to get away with it, though, or it can look dumpy. I despised her skirt and didn't pay attention to the shirt.

I have no idea why they're keeping Jaxson, except that he's a cute little thing, bless his heart.

I despised Samantha's outfit, and yes, the judges gave her a tongue bath. I'm also getting a snotty, superior vibe from Samanta, and that bothers me in a teen kid.

That skirt looked like it came from Annie Wilkes's closet, or something one of the compound wives would have worn on Big Love. And I feel like Samantha keeps talking about "street style" but neither making it or wearing it.

I watch with my 15-year-old who likes Samantha and her aesthetic, though even she said the coat was too bulky.  I hated it.  I rarely like what these judges like.  Two of my favorite looks got sent home the last two episodes.  

The kids are cute but I miss the snarky talking heads and the drama of the adults.  And the construction skills and the fashion.  

That Seventeen woman is a bitch.  I've subscribed for my daughter the last couple years but no more.  She's pretty much outgrown it at 15, anyway.  

I was hoping Tim Gunn would use his save to keep Violet (sorry don't remember her real name) but it wasn't to be.  Now my fear is when Jaxson is eliminated that the save will be used on him.  If we are going with the typical formula PR was doing while I was watching it then that would mean the least deserving designer in the audience's eyes is the one that gets saved. 

I really don't like it when they tell the designers that they need to please their clients and make sure that they put some of themselves into the design. In the real world, I am pretty sure that if you want someone to design an outfit for you, you would find a designer whose aesthetic is similar to your own.  But on PR, the pairings are random, and when the aesthetics don't match, the designer either gets dinged for not listening to their client or dinged for not following their usual style. Two of the bottom three were told, "This doesn't remind me of you."

Usually with real model challenges they ask the clients how they liked the dress and they didn't speak to one of these women.  They could have been the regular models for all it mattered.

And usually, the judges seem to go out of their way not to criticize what the client wanted.  But this time was different - it seemed most of the judges criticisms were thing the client specifically requested.  I can imaging being on of those clients, going out on the runway  thinking that your designer did what you wanted and it is perfect, and then the judges telling you, basically, that you have no taste.

• Love 1

Now my fear is when Jaxson is eliminated that the save will be used on him.  If we are going with the typical formula PR was doing while I was watching it then that would mean the least deserving designer in the audience's eyes is the one that gets saved. 

I don't think they've ever gone as far as to use the save on someone TOTALLY untalented. Maybe it's been used on mediocre designers, but that's different from being used on the actual worst one. I mean I know it sounds mean to say that about a kid, I'm sure he's a nice kid, but this designing thing doesn't really seem to be for him, with a sense of aesthetics that's so poor, and questionable construction skills to boot. 

• Love 1

I don't think Jaxon is untalented.  Tim mentions in an internview about how the nearest fabric store for two boys (guessing Jaxon and Zach) is a Joanne's fabric - and even that is far away.

I think Jaxon in particular has had little exposure to alternative options where fabric is concerned.  I actually like a lot of what he's done but understand that fine-line taste issue.  IMO, it could be as simple as this.

Edited by Jextella