Type keyword(s) to search

S00.E148: The Husbands Of River Song

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

It is Christmas Day on a remote human colony, and the Doctor is hiding from Christmas carols and comedy antlers. But when a crashed spaceship calls upon the Doctor for help, he finds himself recruited into River Song's squad and hurled into a fast and frantic chase across the galaxy. King Hydroflax is furious, and his giant robot bodyguard is out of control and coming for them all! Will Nardole survive? And when will River Song work out who the Doctor is?

All will be revealed on a starliner full of galactic super-villains and a destination the Doctor has been avoiding for a very long time.

• Love 1

Are we allowed to talk about this? Not that there's a whole heap of plot to spoil. Anyway it was fun to watch and I liked 12 and River's dynamic. I hope they meet again. With River's out of order timeline it would be perfectly doable.

I was quite surprised to see from the AV Club listings that it isn't being aired until 9pm in the US. This one is lighter than most S9 episodes and had less in the way of scares (mostly).

Edited by Beatriceblake
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed it, too.  I haven't been the biggest River Song fan--she was fantastic when we first met her, but with every appearance, she got less interesting.  Here, she's dynamic and strong, and Alex Kingston and Peter Capaldi spark off each other beautifully.  I believe this relationship much more than the River/Eleven one.  The caper itself was fully of silly jokes, puns, and sight gags, but it was a relief to have such a light episode after the "heaviness" of much of S9.  At the same time, I think Moffat did a good job obliquely acknowledging that the Doctor has suffered--and grown--from the loss of Clara.  While Ten is the Doctor who regrets, and Eleven is the one who forgets, Twelve is the one who recollects (given all of the callbacks to previous Doctors in S9).  Instead of running away, this Doctor now confronts his choices (good and bad) and learns from them.

Edited by alrightokay
  • Love 9

Oh I loved it- Merry Christmas!!

All week after my son was asleep I would pop in a Doctor Who Christmas special until I fell asleep- and then I watched some of The River episodes if I had time to get ready for today.

And after a week I have come to the following reaffirmations:

Best Doctor/Companion- 10/Donna followed by 11/Amy/Rory, then 2/Jamie/Zoe and 4/Sarah Jane.  I'd actually forgotten how good Amy's setup as childhood imaginary friend was- at last, a completely different setup.  I believe I agreed a few weeks back with a poster that made a wonderful argument as to the Moffat vs Davies companions and if Moffat writing was trying to top the Davies years.  Amelia Pond didn't need a direct comparison- that really was a brilliant idea (wish I could say the same for Clara- but I can't- I really think nothing in the writing or imagining competes).  While Donna's writing is good (not great) Catherine Tate and Tennant just spark and are absolutely incredible together- credit the acting.  But if you don't particularly like this combo I can completely understand because, IMHO, the chemistry does not work for you- again I credit fairly mediocre writing.

Best Doctor- potentially 12.  Capaldi does it again!  I have never seen a doctor carry a season like he has amid last minute renewal decisions and some really awful writing.  10 will always be MY doctor but boy is 12 fantastic- and wonderful in the Christmas Special.  He may rank just below Tom Baker.  He and Kingston have everything I could have wished- and I get to see it again on Monday one the big screen- yay!!  Seeing 12 smile, laugh, and show that ornery but lovable side was Fantastic.  Although I do have to say- for once I really wished I hadn't read the spoilers- it was that good and i found myself hoping they would not end up on Dirillium.  But I'm happy the minisodes made sense.

Best Christmas Special- A Christmas Carol- it's Michael Gambon for heaven's sake!  One of Matt Smith's best performances- and I like 11- and just the perfect amount of tension, pathos, and happiness.  I cry every time Sardak and Abigail steer the shark into the credits.  Every Single Time- to the point that me son asked "Mommy what's wrong?"  And yet I can still laugh when Sardar mocks the poor or 11 hangs out with a 12 year old.  Or gets married.

Now it;s time to get ready for Downton.  I really do love Christmas!

Edited by penguinnj
  • Love 3

This was perfect! I hope this won't be the last we see of River but if it is this was a worthy send off for her.

I have to admit I was so heartbroken at her little speech about not believing the doctor really loves her, and than looking at the doctor and his sorrowful and shocked look that she truly does believes that! he looked so crushed there was no doubt in my mind that he truly does love her!

Best Doctor- potentially 12.  Capaldi does it again!  I have never seen a doctor carry a season like he has amid last minute renewal decisions and some really awful writing.  10 will always be MY doctor but boy is 12 fantastic- and wonderful in the Christmas Special.  He may rank just below Tom Baker.  He and Kingston have everything I could have wished- and I get to see it again on Monday one the big screen- yay!!  Seeing 12 smile, laugh, and show that ornery but lovable side was Fantastic.  Although I do have to say- for once I really wished I hadn't read the spoilers- it was that good and i found myself hoping they would not end up on Dirillium.  But I'm happy the minisodes made sense.

Now it;s time to get ready for Downton.  I really do love Christmas!

You mean the 11 and River "Night and the Doctor" minisodes?

• Love 4

You mean the 11 and River "Night and the Doctor" minisodes?

foreverevolving, yes, Night & The The Doctor.  This episode directly refers to it- and I'm very happy because I thought it might have to be "reinterpreted", and it always makes me laugh.

I haven't really liked the last couple of Christmas specials but this one I loved. Lots of death anvils for River but still this was fun and I want more of this Twelve going forward. 

An "anvil" is a heavyhanded hint of something the TV viewers suspect is coming but don't know for sure.

We know for sure what's coming. The mentions may be close to overt, but we're not having anything dropped on our heads we didn't already know.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

LOVED this Xmas special - for the first time since Amy & Rory left, I actually enjoyed an episode from start to finish. The 12/River interactions were wonderful - I hope we get to see more soon. IMHO, this proves that de-Clara-fication was what was needed to get the show back on track. Hopefully the next series/season will continue along the same lines.

• Love 9

LOVED this Xmas special - for the first time since Amy & Rory left, I actually enjoyed an episode from start to finish. The 12/River interactions were wonderful - I hope we get to see more soon. IMHO, this proves that de-Clara-fication was what was needed to get the show back on track. Hopefully the next series/season will continue along the same lines.

I absolutely agree. I haven't completely enjoyed an episode since the Ponds left. Eleven's remaining

episodes were tainted by Snowflake, and Twelve run so far has been ruined by her. Until now. Color

me shocked at how much I liked Capaldi here; more than the last two seasons combined. This is the 

Twelfth Doctor we deserved.

I'm also thrilled that River finally got the send off she deserved (and the one I'd given up hope for as

Moffatt shoved his head further and further up Snowflake's ass). When River was going on about how

she truthfully didn't believe that the Doctor loved her, and then finally recognized him, I started bawling.

And of course I was ugly crying at the end. This was an wonderful episode.

Also, because it has to be said: Alex Kingston has now demonstrated that she has chemistry with

three actors playing the Doctor, while a certain other someone didn't managed any with either

of the two she soaked up huge amounts of screen time from.

Merry Humbug, Whovians!

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 19

Loved it, start to finish, and glad I'm not the only one who was bawling like a baby.  The interaction between Peter Capaldi and Alex Kingston was superb.  When she was telling the blue dude that while she loved the Doctor he couldn't really love anyone, her emotion and the reactions on 12's face, and then her dawning realisation and "Hello, sweetie.". I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about it. 

Given that nights on Dirillium last 24 years, is it too much to hope that she'll continue to show up for the odd guest appearance?

(And also can they not download her from the library thingo? That would work too).

• Love 10

First I will say I don't care for Capaldi as the Doctor, honestly he seems too old and frail (and I am 2 years older than Capaldi!) but I was looking forward to seeing the Doctor play off River Song again (I adore Alex Kingston) Anyway very enjoyable, BUT no kiss between the Doctor and River? I feel gypped. 

Given that nights on Dirillium last 24 years, is it too much to hope that she'll continue to show up for the odd guest appearance?

(And also can they not download her from the library thingo? That would work too).

It never relied on that anyway. The Doctor meets her out of sequence--not strictly back to front.

Actually the only thing wrong with that is it makes you wonder why he doesn't do the same thing with all of the other time travelers out there. It really makes little to no sense with The Master/Missy for example.

As for the 24 year thing, I actually took that as a statement that the two of them would stay put for 24 years, then go their own separate ways at that point. Given that River also has (had?) an extended lifespan they can do that, since she's expected to look the same age at the end.

And while that sounds overly sentimental to allow the Doctor a 24 year hiatus off-screen I can see the good in it from a story telling perspective. It lets them do a soft-reset-button on him (same actor, I mean, but ditching all of the angst). Even for someone as long-lived as him, 24 years in one spot would probably be enough to get over his case of The Mopes. So you can launch Capaldi again next series in a relatively light mood (yes, he would have been forced to let River go after that period knowing she was soon to "die", then again I think he'd long ago come to terms with that particular tragedy, plus as I said it's not like his encounters with River are linear, even in reverse--so he could have any number of meetings left with her and would leave knowing that).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 8

wow.  i admit.  i cried.  during river's speech about how the never can love her back and the end scene.  it was really nice how it all tied in together and how even the doctor didn't know how their final moment was gonna happen....because his incarnation hasn't been made yet.  it was an epic sort of first date of sorts for both of them (river meeting a new doctor for the first time, and the last time before the inevitable library)

• Love 2

I was expecting a kiss too, but 12 doesn't seem to be the kissing type.

Anyway, loved it and I'm glad I've been seeing lots of positive thoughts. The robot suit reminded me of the Wrong Trousers, if the trousers could speak. And I loved all the callbacks, especially the gift of River's screwdriver.

• Love 5

It never relied on that anyway. The Doctor meets her out of sequence--not strictly back to front.

Actually the only thing wrong with that is it makes you wonder why he doesn't do the same thing with all of the other time travelers out there. It really makes little to no sense with The Master/Missy for example.

timey wimey thing, lol.

Aw.  I enjoyed that.  And we never HAD seen when he gave her the sonic screwdriver that she has when she meets him for the first/last time in The Library, right?

Nope, this is the first time. It's always been known as "River's Screwdriver" that she got from a "Future Doctor." I'll admit it, I got really excited when I saw that.

This was supposed to be Moffat's finale?! This was a damn good episode to go out on, if I must say. Everything seems so wrapped up.

This was supposed to be Moffat's finale?! This was a damn good episode to go out on, if I must say. Everything seems so wrapped up.

And now he'll likely mess this up with some one series wonder after this that messes things up again (and not in a good way). I mean as I said, this was a natural soft-reset. You could bring The Doctor back in any situation after this, but with Moffat there and hedging his bets it will likely be a lot "more of the same".
  • Love 1

also, i liked the idea of how dead river knew something that the 11th doctor didn't know and kept to herself......that there is a 12th doctor.  remember that dead river had interactions with 11 even after her death so even throughout their interactions, river still had one spoiler left for 11.

• Love 4

That was fun. On a lot of levels, I figured a Twelve/River pairing would work because he now looks old enough to buy his own booze and smokes. Sorry, Matt, but Alex looked like she was robbing the cradle with you. While I can't see River as a proper companion, it would be nice to free her up from "Silence In The Library"/"Forrest Of The Dead." I mean, if Clara's death could be rendered moot, why not more River?

Too many decapitations for a Christmas special, though. Maybe Moffat didn't want to maim in case The Force Awakens went hog-wild on that. Hopefully, I'll find out this weekend.

ETA: I really hope Capaldi stays on longer than three years. He's a good Doctor with the right writing, and I think he wouldn't overstay his welcome. Oh, and I want a River/Missy showdown. I can wait until 2017 for that, but I hope it comes.

• Love 8

Damn you show, you made me cry. I adore River, she's one of my favorite characters on Doctor Who. The last thing I wanted to see was the end of River Song even if I always knew the Library was in her future I never wanted to see the lead up.

I will admit to a bit of rage at the unfairness...River can't be downloaded, she can't be saved, blah, blah, blah but The Doctor pulls that shit with Clara?! Ugh!

• Love 11

I thought this was a good episode and very touching at the end.  It would have been a good one for Moffat to go out on.  Same he decided to return for another year.

Capaldi was a lot of fun in this one, with some great lines.  Loved his fake reaction to being inside the TARDIS.  River was grating in the beginning but Alex Kingston and Peter Capaldi work well together.

King Hydroflax was a fun and amusing villain.

• Love 2

I will admit to a bit of rage at the unfairness...River can't be downloaded, she can't be saved, blah, blah, blah but The Doctor pulls that shit with Clara?! Ugh!

The Doctor knew what became of River (her death, plus her hologram at his own grave), but Clara's future was still open. That's what I think.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

This was lovely. I was a little concerned about how they'd wrench it into their timestreams continuity-wise, but I think they made it work. I agree with so many of the comments already -- the Doctor's bigger-on-the-inside speech was hilarious, lovely to see the screwdriver gift, her speeches about sunsets and monoliths and love and hello sweetie and OMG I'M CRYING...

I'm totally going to watch Silence in the Library tomorrow.

My daughter, age 9, is a huge Whovian. But, being young, her retention of all the details of continuity isn't yet as sharp as I know it will be someday. She knows who River Song is, but had forgotten they were actually married. And she looooooves David Tennant's Doctor, but couldn't remember the first meeting of Prof Song. I had to explain to her why they were making such a big deal of the singing towers (before they actually explained it on the show, anyway).

I didn't mind that there was no actual kissing. She did kiss his cheeks. And at the end, it sure looked like they were moving in. Besides which, they're about to spend 24 years together there. I'm sure they'll get around to smooches sooner or later.

Much of the details about continuity, were accurately predicted so I wasn't always fully surprised. But the 24 years got me.

Other things I loved -- the Doctor's jealousy at each husband. Laughing at the head in the bag. "I have an irritable bowel" (very, very irritable lol)... "I've only seen the face, I'll let you know later about the rest of the body" or whatever the exact wording was lol... "What would be the safest place to stand in a meteor strike?" "Right here." "That's no coincidence."  Regarding poncing off with the Tardis -- "he's never noticed before."  The panel of booze in the Tardis -- his reaction leads me to think he didn't realize it was there. Fighting over whose responsibility it was to save the ship. Skootching the Tardis forward in time bit by bit to first fund the restaurant, then make reservations, then attend.

Just lovely, top to bottom.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

The panel of booze in the Tardis -- his reaction leads me to think he didn't realize it was there.

Possible. But also possible, we'd likely get a similar reaction if he was amazed SHE knew it was there (since he'd never revealed it).
  • Love 1

Could you explain it to me?

Remember how River dies the second part of the two parter (Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead?) Before she sacrificed herself in 10's place she talks about the night they spent together before she came to the Library, where he took her to the singing towers, after getting a haircut and a new suit. And he gave her his screwdriver, (in order to save her). Now granted that night lasted 24 years, but we know she's going off to the Library now, so it closes her loop

• Love 11
Color

me shocked at how much I liked Capaldi here; more than the last two seasons combined. This is the 

Twelfth Doctor we deserved.

I'm also thrilled that River finally got the send off she deserved (and the one I'd given up hope for as

Moffatt shoved his head further and further up Snowflake's ass). When River was going on about how

she truthfully didn't believe that the Doctor loved her, and then finally recognized him, I started bawling.

And of course I was ugly crying at the end. This was an wonderful episode.

Yes, yes, yes. It was amazing how much difference acting with Kingston seems to make.

I loved the whole episode, but the best part was "But always, when you need it the most... there is a song."  (Capaldi's acting, Kingston's acting, the writing, the music... all top notch.)

• Love 9

This episode was amazing. I haven't been loving this show the last couple of seasons, but wow this Christmas Special made me fall back in love.

plus as I said it's not like his encounters with River are linear, even in reverse--so he could have any number of meetings left with her and would leave knowing that).

Unfortunately, barring some sort of memory modification on River, this has to be the last time he sees her in his timeline, unless he fixes her library download and sees her afterwards. If she had seen Twelve or a later incarnation of the Doctor before this, then his face would have been on her wallet photo thingy of the twelve incarnations of the Doctor. She had clearly never seen Twelve before and took a comically long time to realize that he was the Doctor. 

• Love 4

Rasillon's First Law of Time was supposed to prevent (or at least strongly discourage) Time Lords from interacting with each other's timelines out of order. That's why each visit to Gallifrey was always later in the concerned characters' subjective chronologies than the previous one, for example. Though the Doctor has occasionally violated that law and met his former/future selves. It used to require special circumstances and an enormous expenditure of power, but seems to have become considerably easier with the absence of the Time Lords.

Moffat, Kingston, and Capaldi actually performed a Christmas miracle: selling me on the Doctor and River Song as a couple. Kingston and Tennant didn't manage that. (And Matt Smith couldn't sell me ice water in Death Valley; every episode of his I've watched has been with clenched teeth.)

• Love 2

So sad knowing we probably won't get anymore River and the Doctor episodes.. I could probably have an entire season of them getting up to mischief as their 'one night' at the towers lasted forever.

This was a great episode and I loved River as much as I have. Although it makes me wonder why she wasn't quite as sad as expected in the library considering she must have been on her last page and had the screwdriver. Maybe she was happy to have another hello.

And again I feel like River was wasted on 11 and would have been better given more time with 10 and/or 12.

• Love 6

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent, it seems. I managed about 20 minutes and had to turn it off. Didn't like it at all.

I'd recommend continuing a bit more. If you missed the last half hour you basically missed the best parts of the episode.. and if you only got to 20mins you also missed the Doctor getting to do the 'bigger on the inside' speech the 'right' way.

• Love 2

I'd recommend continuing a bit more. If you missed the last half hour you basically missed the best parts of the episode.. and if you only got to 20mins you also missed the Doctor getting to do the 'bigger on the inside' speech the 'right' way.

I saw that bit. I wasn't timing it exactly to know the precise time I switched off. I was trying to get a baby to sleep at the time. Didn't like it. Not planning to watch the rest, I'm afraid.

• Love 1

I agree with the posters above who said River kind of diminished over time, but this episode absolutely made me fall in love with her again. Capaldi works so well across Alex Kingston, and I think this episode showed off the potential that the last series had with him but never quite reached because of, well, Clara. It's always felt like he's never settled into the role for me, like he was just a place holder for the next one, but I think he finally has. 

• Love 1

That was fun. On a lot of levels, I figured a Twelve/River pairing would work because he now looks old enough to buy his own booze and smokes. Sorry, Matt, but Alex looked like she was robbing the cradle with you. While I can't see River as a proper companion, it would be nice to free her up from "Silence In The Library"/"Forrest Of The Dead." I mean, if Clara's death could be rendered moot, why not more River?

Not for me. I thought the chemistry between Matt and Alex was great. I really get tired of people thinking a young man couldn't be attracted to an older woman. ;)

Loved this episode. I liked last Christmas' special too. I don't know if Moffat is gone or not, but I'll miss him. He writes for Doctor Who so well. Rewatching the Season 9 episodes, I realized that I did like them fine. Peter Capaldi is great. My two favorite doctors now are Matt Smith and Capaldi.

• Love 4

Man, those two have great chemistry. I have always loved Capaldi's comedic timing and he was terrific in this and this just further solidified him as my favorite Doctor. And, his expressions of tenderness were really sweet.

I hope for more comedic bits in future episodes.

Finally a fun romp. Loved it.

• Love 4

This episode finally made me a fan of River Song. Never liked her. When she first showed up she annoyed the crap out of me with her "spoilers" I'm way cooler than you attitude. With Matt Smith, just no chemistry at all (and no, not because she's older than him but because they just had no chemistry. She's got gravitas that he could never match). But Twelve and River bantering their way through this episode was a delight.

Seriously, that is what this episode was for me, a delight.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Oh, I have always loved River Song, and liked her most with Matt, but this episode was pretty great.

The good bye to River that Matt did in The Name of the Doctor will always be one of my favorite scenes. (and one of my favorite episodes)

• Love 2