Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/14/15

Morbs
  • Start Topic

Great Christmas show considering it was taped..,.it was joyful, festive, fun and they gave away good stuff (really showcasing the hosts personalities).

Couldn't they have invited Michelle though? Or waited for her to tape it?

As far as I'm concerned, a day without Michelle is a day without aggravation!!  LOL.  (She interrupts the flow of whatever conversation gets going.)

• Love 3

I am really tired of Paula and CCB.  I have never felt the need to be re-baptized.  Took care of it in my infancy and was raised to maintain the life.  Tired to death of being beaten over the head with their brand of Christianity.  I know this is off topic, but it just hit me today and I need to stop watching and wait for some sort of self-correct by the network (probably won't happen).

• Love 8

Okay folks, taking one for the team!!  BaWa opened wearing a grape-colored turtleneck, what looked like grape-colored leather pants (which highlighted her ultra-skinny legs) & a big metal belt (like we used to wear in the 60's -- whoa!!!)  In some shots her face was prune-like despite the "work" & her lips looked a little like Jack Nicholson's Joker character.  So far, I liked Amy Schumer.  More to come .....

The outfit

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/12/18/06/2F79738D00000578-0-image-m-38_1450419354821.jpg

• Love 3

DebbieM, your last name isn't Greek by any chance is it?  

I knew the reports weren't true, Bawa avoids words with an 'r' like the plague.  Now if the quote used the word 'fuckable' (which was probably the real word in the first place, I'm sure BC cleaned up the quote) I'd totally believe it.

Hahaha!

Regarding Whoopi's bullying/crassness/incompetence at moderating, I'm thinking that for the (TV in general) and the View's production team's warped view, any press/media attention is good cuz of the attention which translates into the craving by manufacturers for space for product pushing and commercials.  

And as Whoopi constantly tells us, she doesn't care.  I imagine that Whoops figures that her EGOT, high salary, and celebrity friends are the only important things, and the rest of the world (including the other co-hosts) can go screw themselves.  I figure when confronted with her behavior, Whoops will say that the behind-the-scenes producers told her to "act" this way for ratings.  

Marketing rules. Whoops sold out. 

This makes sense; numbers are numbers and this show doesn't and their advertisers don't care why viewers watch, only that they do.   Remember Whoopi's comments a couple of years ago when Joy and Babs were leaving and possibly Bitsy?   This is how she addressed rumors: 

"Let me tell you this about 'The View': I take a paycheck every other week. That's all I do. I could give a sh-t what comes. I do my job -- I have a contract. That's where I stand. I don't give a f-ck," Goldberg said. She added, "My job is to show up and be cute by 11:00 and get the f-ck off that show by 12."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/18/whoopi-goldberg-view-shake-up_n_3111935.html

• Love 2

If her job is to "show up and be cute..." then it's an epic fail.

Eire, not sure whether to thank you for that link or not. I wanted to see BaWa's outfit. And now I don't.

Wonder how they have her propped up. Photoshop someone out?

• Love 10

I was all ready to say good for BW (even tho Im not a fan) bc the woman is 84 ish and is still getting out and about, dressed well, or stylish, and on tv. I think that is kind of amazing.

But then she had Trump on and I lost all my good wishes.

Raven needs to shut the eff up about her cheapness. It is very very unattractive.  Also it sounds like she tries to run people's lives - those in her circle - telling them they should clean their house and go on a diet and what they need for a gift. I just cant stand that little ungrateful control freak twit.  

Did I hear Raven seriously say she was working on her masters degree?

Oh dear GOD [/Frasier voice] surely not. ......

• Love 4

She graduated high school from the North Spring Charter School in Georgia. It's a magnet school and I'll take a wild guess that she participated in the Arts component.

Then she started at the Academy of Art University in 2013. That's in SanFran and I can find no mentions of her graduating.

They have online classes but...

Methinks her proclamations of a Master's are empty declarations. No surprise there. I was surprised she graduated high school.

• Love 5

Could everyone just let Caitlyn disappear now? Enough. I heard Raven say she was working on her Masters. I just assumed, as with everything else that comes out of her mouth, she had no idea what she was talking about.

• Love 10

The pants on BW were absolutely horrible!  I am sure that is a wig, her hair would be too thin at 84 to have a bee hive like that!  Picking Jenner just shows it really is time to pack it in Babs, no one cares and now they care even less.  I guess next year WG will be the most fascinating.....

• Love 7
I heard Raven say she was working on her Masters. I just assumed, as with everything else that comes out of her mouth, she had no idea what she was talking about.

Raven has been going to art school for at least two years.  She said both "art school" and "Masters" on the show.  There are places on the 'net where you can see her work.  She is a talented artist.

• Love 3

I am really tired of Paula and CCB.  I have never felt the need to be re-baptized.  Took care of it in my infancy and was raised to maintain the life.  Tired to death of being beaten over the head with their brand of Christianity.  I know this is off topic, but it just hit me today and I need to stop watching and wait for some sort of self-correct by the network (probably won't happen).

I wonder, if they want to pound us over the head with religion, why they never hire Muslims, Buddhists, Wiccans, etc.? I hate how this show helps propagate the idea that "Republican" and "Christian" are synonymous with their casting, because they definitely aren't.

• Love 6

Sigh.....a 2 year course at an Art University does not make a master degree. Good for her for moving to SFO and attending. JMO

I would just like to see some semblance of being mature at 30. And not a spoiled brat that demands people to accommodate her control over them. Let alone a critical thinker on a talk show.

I don't need to agree with them, but do want to hear other opinions that are not from a spoiled brat or a lecturing Whoopi that has to get the last word.

Sigh.....a 2 year course at an Art University does not make a master degree. Good for her for moving to SFO and attending. JMO

I would just like to see some semblance of being mature at 30. And not a spoiled brat that demands people to accommodate her control over them. Let alone a critical thinker on a talk show.

I don't need to agree with them, but do want to hear other opinions that are not from a spoiled brat or a lecturing Whoopi that has to get the last word.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 2

Yes, yes it was & it looked even worse on my HD TV!!  LOL.  (I wonder who in hell would put that on her & tell her she looks "great" & she must have totally lost her mind if she believed them.)

I wonder what happened to Babs stylist?   Because she, out of all the women who have sat at the table, was always the best dressed in my opinion.  And she always wore beautiful clothes on her stupid specials.    Like I said before, I'm starting to think TPTB are laughing at her. 

Raven started at the Academy of Art University in the summer of 2014 but by last winter/spring [2015] she was guest hosting on The Spew - maybe she did both but still, that's one year or three semesters (five quarters) of school.    Not enough for BA or BFA.  I could be wrong but I don't think an accredited legit graduate school that would admit her without that.    

I wonder, if they want to pound us over the head with religion, why they never hire Muslims, Buddhists, Wiccans, etc.? I hate how this show helps propagate the idea that "Republican" and "Christian" are synonymous with their casting, because they definitely aren't.

I know what you mean. 

To be fair, I don't think CCB is political at all. She seems to really only have two subjects in her repertoire - her faith and her family.   Paula is better at talking about politics (and anything) but I'm not sure it's topic in her home.    Now Nicolle was all about politics, particularly Republican politics and of course she knew a thing about campaigns. I don't remember her ever even mentioning her faith or if she had one.   I would have thought she would be a good asset at the table during this primary season and the election next year.  

• Love 5

DebbieM4:  I've always liked BW as well, but only know her tv persona.  If you are able to say, how were you able to spend time with her?  And is she much different in person than on tv?

I met her at a concert years ago.  She was sitting right behind me, and it turned out we had mutual friends who were also there.  Since then, I've seen her in social settings several times.  She's different than she is on the show in some ways - mostly she's more relaxed and quiet, but that's true of celebrities in general.  She's very gracious, really sweet, and she's genuinely interested in other people.  She also has a really fun side, and is far less serious in her off-screen life.  Many of her close friends have been close friends for decades, and they adore her.  Yes, she's getting on in years, but I'm not in the Barbara-should-be-put-out-to-pasture club.  So I often skip thru the Barbara bashing posts.  I admire her and I like her.  I'm not looking to get into a debate with anyone, and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind.  I only jumped into this particular discussion because she was being criticized for what she allegedly said to Bradley Cooper, when in fact the reality was completely different.

DebbieM, your last name isn't Greek by any chance is it?  

Hahaha!

No, it is not.   But I have been accused of that before!!

• Love 12

Absolutely DebbieM4 you have first-hand knowledge & your opinion is based on fact not conjecture.  "We" see what "we" see & can only judge from that, but it's nice to know there's another side to her.

I appreciate that.  Thank you so much!

I still think Caitlin Jenner was a poor, predictable, kind of dumb choice.  My girl Barbara really let me down with that one!  :-)

• Love 9

I FF'd through most of the show, but I have to say that Darlene Love kicked ass! What a show-stopper. Her voice is strong and still amazing. She's 74 and sounds better than ever. She's my new gold standard for aging performers.

On BaWa's outfit, I share in the dismay. While I certainly have strong opinions about her, both good and bad, I've always enjoyed how she dressed: timeless and classic. This outfit -- just NO. Besides the travesty of the pants, she needs a better bra. I really think if she boosted the girls and wore simple black trousers, a disaster would/could have been avoided. (Being German and all that that entails in the boobage department, I can't say enough about good support. And that is all.)

• Love 8

Well, if Raven thinks she is 17 I guess BW can think she is 18. Sigh.

I was thinking about the Kurt Russell interview...Whoopi simply sits back and waits for the compliments - and then just acts so humble. Like she can't say I love your work too, and would love to work with you. However,her work in the movies these days are mostly cameo appearances.

What is it that "stars" have so many award shows for themselves?

• Love 3

I wonder what happened to Babs stylist? Because she, out of all the women who have sat at the table, was always the best dressed in my opinion. And she always wore beautiful clothes on her stupid specials. Like I said before, I'm starting to think TPTB are laughing at her.

Raven started at the Academy of Art University in the summer of 2014 but by last winter/spring [2015] she was guest hosting on The Spew - maybe she did both but still, that's one year or three semesters (five quarters) of school. Not enough for BA or BFA. I could be wrong but I don't think an accredited legit graduate school that would admit her without that.

I know what you mean.

To be fair, I don't think CCB is political at all. She seems to really only have two subjects in her repertoire - her faith and her family. Paula is better at talking about politics (and anything) but I'm not sure it's topic in her home. Now Nicolle was all about politics, particularly Republican politics and of course she knew a thing about campaigns. I don't remember her ever even mentioning her faith or if she had one. I would have thought she would be a good asset at the table during this primary season and the election next year.

Joy, Paula, and Nicole would have been a good combo. Not sure about who would fill the other two chairs.

• Love 3

As someone who earned 2 masters (adult ed and special ed) by working very hard, spending alot of money on tuition, fees, and books/materials, and sacrificing time with family and friends, I call BS on Raven "working on a masters" without a bachelor's degree.

Yes, Barbara needed a better (newer?) bra on her special.

Agree abt Whoopi not reciprocating compliments to other stars. BTW, i love Kurt Russell who is still so awesome at 70! My sister met him several years ago at a Colorado hockey tournament when his son Wyatt played goalie and he was super nice.

• Love 2

Absolutely DebbieM4 you have first-hand knowledge & your opinion is based on fact not conjecture.  "We" see what "we" see & can only judge from that, but it's nice to know there's another side to her.

Yes, thanks DebbieM4 for your first-hand info on Barbara.  And I'm sure almost every celebrity is different in private than when "working".

• Love 5

Wow I thought Goldie just turned 70 so that made Kurt 65, but maybe I goofed on my info and memory.  I thought she is 5 yrs older than he is.

I wondered if Raven's masters is going to be given /awarded to her like.... I think it was Bill Cosby's doctorate? Again someone correct me if that is wrong. If RayRay has a BS degree (no pun intended) I'll eat your collective hats.  

This is bitchy of me, but who is Raven to tell others who should diet? I forgot what she said exactly but it was really rude. "Yeah you HAVE to tell them" and whatever else she said between bitching about the cost of small items.

• Love 2

As someone who earned 2 masters (adult ed and special ed) by working very hard, spending alot of money on tuition, fees, and books/materials, and sacrificing time with family and friends, I call BS on Raven "working on a masters" without a bachelor's degree.

Yes, Barbara needed a better (newer?) bra on her special.

Agree abt Whoopi not reciprocating compliments to other stars. BTW, i love Kurt Russell who is still so awesome at 70! My sister met him several years ago at a Colorado hockey tournament when his son Wyatt played goalie and he was super nice.

Yes, I wondered about that too.  I have family members with various degrees & you can't have a Masters without a Bachelor's.

I think "our BaWa" is a tad chintzy & may think her old bras fit fine, not noticing that the elasticity (& support) has long gone.

ETA:  Deleting my response re Kurt Russell's age.

Edited by Medicine Crow

Sorry i was guessing about Kurt Russell being 70, cuz I thought Goldie was 70 and they were probably the samecsge. My bad.

So Kurt is only 64, and not 70! God, he looks terrible!

Kidding. His dimples will never wear out.

• Love 4

Well of course Candace had to wear the Santa/Jesus sweater.  I am so bored with her and her shouting her religion to all.  She is really a one note person, no?

That sweater was a real embarrassment. Does she believe that both Santa and Jesus are real?

That one is no different than the other? I don't get it.

• Love 5

I viewed it as a symbol of Christians and non christians getting along. That both symbols are important to the holiday.

I feel bad for CCB because she's slammed for being a Christian by non christians and then slammed for not being Christian enough by christians.

• Love 2
Well of course Candace had to wear the Santa/Jesus sweater.  I am so bored with her and her shouting her religion to all.  She is really a one note person, no?

I'm no longer a Christian but I grew up believing in both Jesus AND Santa Claus.  At some point I stopped believing--one before the other.  That said, I thought Candace's sweater was very cute and demonstrates the Christmas most Americans celebrate: Jesus' birth and giving/eceiving gifts.  Although I'm not a fan of CCB, it is amazing that she has been able to grow up in show business and hold to her narrow beliefs.  I say live and let live.

Although Raven probably doesn't qualify on the basis of experience and previous education, it IS possible to get a Masters degree...even a PhD without completion of undergraduate degrees.  It depends on the university (even accredited), the applicant, and the process.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

Well of course Candace had to wear the Santa/Jesus sweater.  I am so bored with her and her shouting her religion to all.  She is really a one note person, no?

It was allegedly ugly sweater day, so I'll cut her some slack. And I think that sweater is somewhat popular out there in the fly over country.  And it is from the Shark Tank Tipsy Elves collection.  

As for her persona, I just don't think there is much there outside her faith and family.  I have known two women exactly like her.  Both speak endlessly about their church.  It is the center of every single thing they do.  They base every single decision they make in life on their faith. Every conversation is steered toward a moral or biblical perspective. One attends social/church-related events 6 days a week (maybe the Day 7 is the anti-sabbath?).  It's jarring once you first encounter someone with that perspective.  Or any person who is so single-minded.  A few years ago, I was acquaintances with a very vocal, out-there, open lesbian.  Everything in her world had to be gay, gay, gay.  From the XMAS tree, to the car bumper stickers, to her jewelry, to her interior decor, to her politics, to her discussions.  I am an openly gay 50-ish gay male, but she exhausted me with her gay, gay, gay all the time 24/7/365.  I thought I was Poster Boy for all things gay until I crossed into her world.

As for CCB, I suspect she purposely downplays her family, trying to avoid the Kathie Lee Syndrome.  It also seems that she downplays her acting and entertainment gigs, which is odd, given her somewhat successful place in the (wholesome) entertainment industry.

She's only been co-hosting for a few dozen shows, so she still is a newbie to all this.

• Love 6
I FF'd through most of the show, but I have to say that Darlene Love kicked ass! What a show-stopper. Her voice is strong and still amazing. She's 74 and sounds better than ever. She's my new gold standard for aging performers.

Totally agree, so glad the View picked up where David Letterman left off.

What is it that "stars" have so many award shows for themselves?

Because they're secure and confident?

I feel bad for CCB because she's slammed for being a Christian by non christians and then slammed for not being Christian enough by christians.

Do you really think she's being slammed for being a Christian or is she being slammed for mentioning her faith every time she opens her mouth?  Okay, we get it!  My parish priest talks about his faith less.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

Maybe as part of her faith, CCB is required to proselytize --isn't that what evangelical means for certain Christians?   She could have sold her reason for taking this View job  to her husband (for his permission) as a way for spreading the word.  

CCB may also not talk about her family for privacy which is good, I think.  Also, I agree, it does keep her away from the Kathy Lee Gifford syndrome (and Kartrashians for the horrendously, extreme version) of selling your kids' stories and pix so they get jobs in the industry.  Kathy Lee's daughter was a model and was in a low-rent horror film just before her father, Frank Gifford passed away.  I saw the daughter interviewed by mom on tv when I was at the gym, cuz I can't watch Hoda & Kathy act like fools willingly at home. 

Isn't Whoopi doing the same thing with her grown-ass daughter's reality show?  

It makes me throw up in my mouth to think of all the celebrity kids who are given a pass cuz of their parents. How sad for the kids. I would love to see an article about kids of celebrities who are making it on their own--or in a different occupation, than riding their family's coattails to hell. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 1