Type keyword(s) to search

The Wiz Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

AFAIK, there was live singing against a pre-recording backing track.  Maybe it was punched up in some of the bigger numbers, but there was a lot of it, particularly Amber Riley's full-throated "He's the Wiz!" that couldn't have been on a tape.

• Love 2

Loved this!!  I still prefer the cheesy movie version, but this was great.  I wasn't  a fan of the dialogue changes to make it more "hip", but whatever.  Just about everyone sounded amazing, especially Shaniece.  Here's to hoping she ends up with a fabulous career after this. 

• Love 1

I feel like this production proved the viability of this format. I honestly think if this had been another Peter Pan, it would have been the last time NBC did this. As a person who loves theater, I'm thrilled. Honestly thrilled. This is HUGE for theater. I'm glad to hear this is the first step towards a revival. (I, too, hope they keep Shanice.)

The ratings were well ahead of Peter Pan's, at about 11.5 million.

• Love 9

The final ratings was 3.4 in the key 18 to 48 demo which is amazing. I am glad that it did so well. There is a lot of well deserved praise for the cast online and on social media. The Times has an interview with Shanice Williams: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/arts/television/shanice-williams-on-her-road-to-dorothy-and-the-wiz-live.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-3&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

• Love 4

From what I understand the "book" (the non-musical portion of the script) has been re-written a lot over the years since it was originally performed on Broadway so maybe this production reflected a lot of those recent changes. I just don't know why anything needed to be changed when the original was so brilliant.

Read an article last week that Harvey Fierstein was brought in to refresh the book specifically for this production.

• Love 1

If anybody didn't record this, somehow missed all or part of it, or just plain wants to watch it on TV again, multiple sources state that NBC will air an encore broadcast of The Wiz Live! on Saturday, December 19th at 8PM Eastern--that's 2 weeks from tonight.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbcs-wiz-live-encore-scheduled-845869

Also... In my previous post I mentioned that iTunes (& presumably all other legal MP3 download sites) was taking pre-orders for a soundtrack (I guess that's the right word) recording of music from the show, to be released on December 11th (this Friday).

Amazon.com also shows there will be an actual CD version of the soundtrack released on the same date--December 11th--if you're not into the MP3 downloading thing but you want the music, and a DVD version of the production will also be released. The DVD will be released on December 22nd, according to Amazon. These items should also be available at other online & "brick & mortar" retailers besides Amazon, if you don't shop there. Amazon's just normally the first place I look for things like this.

I pass along all of this information just in case someone here might be interested in it.

• Love 5

I was a little disappointed that "Ease on Down the Road" and "Brand New Day" were a little flat compared to some of the solo numbers, 

I was also disappointed in the "Ease on Down the Road" number.  The funny thing about the "Brand New Day" number is that they performed it in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and it was fantastic, and with a ton of energy.  Maybe the dancers tired themselves out a little for the live show.

• Love 1

{Shaking fist at white people for ruining all the other NBC TV musicals}

Can they do Ain't Misbehavin' next? Nah. It's not "family oriented" enough.

Hmm. I'd point out that the barrier for doing Annie with a black cast has been passed... except I recall it kind of sucked.

Mary Poppins?

I agree that Mary was the best singer, but Shanise/Dorothy is amazing too. I hope this kick starts her career.

I don't know where they found Shanice Williams, but... it was a hell of a find. To say her performance was stellar is a huge understatement. 

Okay, actually they found her in another magical land (besides Oz) called "New Jersey": http://nypost.com/2015/11/29/a-19-year-old-from-new-jersey-is-the-star-of-the-wiz/

• Love 1

I'm watching the behind the scenes special for The Wiz Live on NBC.com and Stephanie Mills is jaw-droppingly short.  Like whoa!!!! A quick google search says she is 4'9.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 1

Also... In my previous post I mentioned that iTunes (& presumably all other legal MP3 download sites) was taking pre-orders for a soundtrack (I guess that's the right word) recording of music from the show, to be released on December 11th (this Friday).

Forgive my ignorance, but is this common practice?  To release the music a week later and not immediately after (like it was advertised on TV)?  I was ready to purchase the entire soundtrack asap, but for these NBC live musicals the audio is directly extracted from the live show and than sold?   

The scarecrow...didn't have a brain...but he eased his ass down that yellow brick road, now didn't he?

Is this from Martin?  I read that line in his voice and it cracked me up.  

This was #blackexcellence. Loved it. The production was great, I loved the music, the choreography (and how Fatima snuck in some current dances), and most of all, the cultural and political commentary. It was subtle but so well done. Like the emerald city scene, for example. Amazing homage to and commentary (imo) on the appropriation of black and brown gay culture. Fantastic, every second of it. There were lots of other little gems that I think really meant a lot to black viewers. Just wonderful, all around.

In the age of Netflix and binging and DVR, it felt nice to watch something live like when I was growing up. My kids got that experience too, which was great.

I give it an A.

• Love 9

Forgive my ignorance, but is this common practice? To release the music a week later and not immediately after (like it was advertised on TV)? I was ready to purchase the entire soundtrack asap, but for these NBC live musicals the audio is directly extracted from the live show and than sold?

Is this from Martin? I read that line in his voice and it cracked me up.

I honestly have no idea about the apparent delay in releasing the music to the public--or if it really is a "delay" compared to any soundtrack releases from the earlier years' productions. It might be because of producing the physical CDs & their packaging or something technical, even (shrugs). But I do know the song Home from the show can be downloaded from the legal download sites, like iTunes, right now. Like you, when I heard them at least vaguely mention a soundtrack release I thought it would be (fully) available that night after the show aired (though they'd probably release it late that night, once the show had aired in all US time zones).

• Love 1

I have never seen any of the previous incarnations-- not Judy Garland, not Michael Jackson, nor anything in between. But I loved this! If a previous version is better, I'm awed. iMonrey, is there a recording available of the stage production you liked better? Not just the songs, but the whole show? If so, I'd like to track it down.

I liked that it featured so many women. I liked the revelation that DAG can sing and be so emotive. I always liked him well enough, but he kicked it up about 10,000 notches here. And I thought even the weakest players were decent enough, while the best were chillingly fantastic. Good job, everyone!!

I didn't watch SOM or PP, but I'm glad I tuned in for this!

As for what they should do next, I know they'll never do Sweeney Todd, but I do think they should choose something a little edgy and not too sentimental. SOM and PP were TOO safe, TOO familiar, and TOO sentimental. People like to feel things and they like "the classics" but if you want them to commit to sitting on the couch for 3 hours instead of going out or going to sleep or god forbid doing something besides watching TV, there needs to be some excitement but not too much risk. It can't be something so familiar that people feel they've already seen it and gotten bored, or too unfamiliar so that they have no idea what they are getting into. The Wiz was a good choice because it balances "fresh but familiar" as it's not overplayed but it's also not totally unknown. And then of course they actually did a good job with the actual production, and also managed to promote it in a way that didn't turn everybody off.

• Love 2

As for what they should do next, I know they'll never do Sweeney Todd, but I do think they should choose something a little edgy and not too sentimental. SOM and PP were TOO safe, TOO familiar, and TOO sentimental. People like to feel things and they like "the classics" but if you want them to commit to sitting on the couch for 3 hours instead of going out or going to sleep or god forbid doing something besides watching TV, there needs to be some excitement but not too much risk.

I think they're always going to choose 'safe' because the show is geared at families.  But I don't think safe, familiar and sentimental was a problem with SOM.  Its higher ratings showed that the audience was there for that show.  Its problem was in the casting of the leads.  It shined when it focused on the supporting characters who had more experience. 

Peter Pan was a mix of bad casting and the fact that no one was interested in Peter Pan. 

The Wiz was a smart comeback vehicle not only because it'd be familiar to Wizard of Oz and The Wiz fans but also because it targeted a demographic that watches TV live more than others.  I remember reading that African Americans, especially black women, tend to watch TV live in a higher percentage than other demographics.  It came up quite a bit in analyzing the success of a show like Empire or Scandal. 

• Love 1

I'd love to see them do Little Shop Of Horrors next!

Is there a black version?

Hee.

Jokes aside, LSOH is probably a bit too edgy. They want to poke the line between family friendly and "not totally boring".

Similarly I doubt they'd do "Hairspray" either. Or "Kinky Boots". Or even "Cabaret".

And obviously the Disney ones (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King--even Mary Poppins) are out on NBC.

Wicked might have worked, but you ain't gonna do a One-Two punch of The Wiz and Wicked.

I suppose they COULD do Annie, but it just seems so recently on top of the movie version redo.

The King and I? My Fair Lady? 42nd Street? Singing in the Rain? I don't know if any of them is really the right thing for what The Wiz audience caught.

The Color Purple?

I dunno.

The Color Purple as a musical? Is that a thing? If so, it worries me.

What about Cinderella?  Or Guys and Dolls?  Or Oklahoma?  Would the subject matter of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers be too off putting for today's society?  Ditto with Carousel?

I would not tune in for any of those, either. Not that I'm the target demographic for anyone (I'm 50, and thus irrelevant, right?), but I think they need something "hipper." I realize some of those are staples of high school plays, but that's only because the adults force it on the kids.

Maybe "Tommy"???

• Love 2

My verdict: magnificent! After the disasters that were their versions of The Sound Of Music & Peter Pan, NBC not only got it right with their take on The Wiz, it's almost like the first two never happened. After the San Bernadino massacre, I needed something to make me smile and this did, with a vengeance. It came along just in time. I didn't mind not having an audience because I don't need an audience to tell me when to laugh. I also didn't mind the occasional use of Ebonics because as a Black woman, I occasionally use them myself because I'm not P.C. every minute. I've seen both The Wizard Of Oz & The Wiz & loved them both, for different reasons: the first, because it's a classic while the second is an over-the-top spectacle which gave visibility to artists of color, which is important, so when I heard about the reboot, I was nervous, especially given NBC's track record with live musicals, but this shows that NBC has learned from its mistakes, at least this time.  Almost everything was on-point, from start to finish, whether it was the songs, the dances, the costumes, the sets, the makeup, the writing or the acting, especially the acting. As the Scarecrow, the Tin Man & the Cowardly Lion, Elijah Kelley, Ne-Yo & David Alan Grier were awesome. Amber Riley, Queen Latifah & Mary J. Blige were incredible, as was Stephanie Mills. Common was funny as the rude, arrogant & greedy Emerald City bouncer who deserved to get punked. As Glinda, Uzo Aduba was breathtaking. She can sing as great as she acts, if not even better. And that costume? Three words: "ah-may-zing!"

The Emerald City Voguers gave me life like my mama! They were epic. Then there's Shanice Williams, who, simply put, is Dorothy. Sheer perfection. On the "Behind the Scenes" special, when Shanice & Stephanie Mills met for the first time & briefly sang "Home," I knew that they had the right girl. The way I see it, if Shanice is good enough for Ms. Mills, then she's good enough for me. As for the trolls who called the show "racist," they epitomize the old saying "it's far better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up & remove all doubt."

Your move, Grease Live.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 7

I finally got to see entire show on demand.  I didn't get to see Amber Riley last Thursday - loved that song, the set. the costumes.  Fantastic.

Did not appreciate the product placement of Apple.  It's not all about you Apple.  Could you just chill once in a while.

Would love to see Les Miserables done live as the movie version was so proud of their live singing.  Let's have it done properly with Broadway/West End professionals.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 1

I cannot tell you how much I loved Glinda's dress. As Emerson from the People's Couch said, that dress was like a mic drop to drag queens to see if they can copy it. I wish whoever had done that dress had done Katniss's fire dress from the Hunger Games instead of the off-rack prom dress they gave her.

Your move, Grease Live.

Yep, the pressure's on!

• Love 2

I really loved this, what I got to see of it. I am definitely going to watch the rebroadcast. I still have "Brand New Day" as an earworm, not that I mind awfully much.

I wonder if South Pacific would work as a musical. I loved, loved, loved the music in that. The message of being carefully taught to hate, that's a message that is always needed.

My friends and I were brainstorming what shows they would do next as well and we came up with several of the same ones people said above. I also came up with Bye Bye Birdie, it is a family friendly show, you can easily update it, and you can get some hot young male artist to come play Birdie. And there is plenty of supporting parts that can be played by well known people. It wouldn't be my first choice but its not a bad idea. 

I LOVED The Wiz I thought it was fantastic.. far and above the last 2 they had done. 

I'm really interested to see how Grease Live is going to be, its a strange cast. 

Edited by SiobhanJW

West Side Story would be the most obvious one to do.  It's a familiar story and they don't have to struggle for diversity.

The more obscure Rodgers and Hammerstein shows are out because not everyone is familiar with them.  Bye Bye Birdie would probably be the next closest.

iTunes is now showing The Wiz Live as being available--it appears it's available NOW--in video format, for $9.99 (plus tax, probably).

It's listed 2 different ways. At least if you use the Mobile version of iTunes, choose the version that's listed under Top Results. It says "Kids The Wiz Live TV Season". Then I think you click on the price to download it (I download from my laptop, not my iPhone).

I finally saw it today On Demand. I was expecting it to be cheesy and snark worthy, but I was pleasantly suprised! The peformances were incredible, and I hope to see more of Shanice Williams; she was just adorable--and crazy talented.

Great seeing Stephanie Mills again, It was fitting to be included in the cast. There was not one miscast in the play. My only complaint: not enough Toto! Loved the vougeing scene.

Great job, NBC.

• Love 1

I hope they wouldn't do West Side Story. That might almost as iconic as Sound of Music and I wonder if they would avoid doing that again. What about Gypsy? It's all innuendo and if high schools put on productions of it probably ok to put on tv. Anything Goes could be fun too.

NBC needs to stay contemporary, at least for the next year or two.

Part of the reason their musicals have been tanking in the ratings is because the previous musicals they've chosen have been old fashioned and, well, too whitewashed.

Part of the reason their musicals have been tanking in the ratings is because the previous musicals they've chosen have been old fashioned and, well, too whitewashed.

Tanking ratings?  The previous musicals did face a lot of critique but I don't understand why that backlash is being retrofitted/retranslated into poor ratings.  The "old fashioned" Sound of Music Live had over 18 million viewers and a 4.6 in the demo.  Peter Pan did drop quite a bit but was still solid for NBC.  And The Wiz, by far the best actual production, rebounded and landed between SOM and PP.  I just think Peter Pan was a poor choice.  The Sound of Music showed that older properties can still hold an appeal for the audience. It just has to be the right older property.

Maybe next is Jesus Christ Superstar

Whatever it is, I don't expect it'll be something newer like Kinky Boots, Book of Mormon or even In The Heights.  I would think the producers of those shows want to make sure their touring revenue isn't cut by having it on TV.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Personally, I'd like to see Rent, but it's not family friendly. How about Lion King? Very good for families and the music is fantastic. Tap Dance Kid. Once, Ragtime. There could be so many to choose from.

Edited by KLovestoShop

I finally got to see entire show on demand.  I didn't get to see Amber Riley last Thursday - loved that song, the set. the costumes.  Fantastic.

This is me.  "He's the Wiz" was probably my personal standout performance, Amber sang the hell out of that song, and the whole number was a lot of fun to watch. Mercedes Jones of glee could never... or given the chance, I should say.  Speaking of which, Shanice Williams sounded dead on like Lea Michelle that I almost thought a diva-off was happening.  

• Love 2

Tanking ratings?  The previous musicals did face a lot of critique but I don't understand why that backlash is being retrofitted/retranslated into poor ratings.  The "old fashioned" Sound of Music Live had over 18 million viewers and a 4.6 in the demo.  Peter Pan did drop quite a bit but was still solid for NBC.  And The Wiz, by far the best actual production, rebounded and landed between SOM and PP.  I just think Peter Pan was a poor choice.  The Sound of Music showed that older properties can still hold an appeal for the audience. It just has to be the right older property.

Maybe next is Jesus Christ Superstar

Whatever it is, I don't expect it'll be something newer like Kinky Boots, Book of Mormon or even In The Heights.  I would think the producers of those shows want to make sure their touring revenue isn't cut by having it on TV.

Do you really expect NBC to taunt controversy by doing JSC?  

As for Kinky Boots or Book of Mormon, the reasons those won't get done is far more than those shows not welcoming it. NBC doesn't do these productions in the Thhanksgiving to Christmas period by accident. They pose these as "family entertainment" and even with changing social mores, KB and BoM are harder sells to Ma and Pa Red State America as family entertainment.  Heck, even The Wiz probably was, because gasp!  {black people!} except it got watched presumably by enough of a different demo and maybe might start the ball rolling on more adventurous picks, but we're a far cry from them outright giving the finger to the Red States with shows about drag queens or a religious satire.

Personally, I'd like to see Rent, but it's not family friendly. How about Lion King? Very good for families and the music is fantastic.

Ehem. D-I-S-N-E-Y.

Otherwise known as "ABC".

So no. NBC isn't going to be able to air it.

Ditto for Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins, Aladdin and others.

• Love 2

Here's a brave idea.

NBC should break the Christmastime schedule for once and put on a SUNDAY JULY 3rd 2016 production of "1776".

The fact that most people don't remember this musical actually probably benefits rather than hurts, because you can hype it for months as something America needs to discover, have preview clips of the songs online, talk show visits with parts of the cast doing performances, etc.  Make an event out of it.

And heck, sure... cast a little adventurously. We all know John Adams, Ben Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson are white, and in fact the backstory of them all demands they are. But the play doesn't really address slavery at all as I recall (I could be misremembering though since I haven't seen any version of it for a while), so if you colorblind cast anyone, I don't see a problem at all. 

The show DOES need a big rewrite though, because I recall there's a big middle section with no songs. Ain't gonna fly on live TV with impatient audiences.

• Love 2
West Side Story would be the most obvious one to do.  It's a familiar story and they don't have to struggle for diversity.

West Side Story is actually controversial these days, and some high schools no longer produce it, because it portrays people of color as gangs, a stereotype that doesn't really need reinforcing.

There really isn't a lot to choose from if you want to be broadly accessible, avoid controversy, cast diversely, dip into the well of already-well-known-but-not-too-over-exposed productions, and you also have to avoid things owned by competitors to NBC (like Disney) or which are still touring as stage productions.

• Love 1

West Side Story is actually controversial these days, and some high schools no longer produce it, because it portrays people of color as gangs, a stereotype that doesn't really need reinforcing.

That last bit is true, but I also think the "controversy" is a bit of a super-PC (and to be honest somewhat cowardly) dodge, because they conveniently forget (because it doesn't help their point) that 50% of the gang members shown are white people (well, non-Hispanic at least). That there's what (at least in those times--even if these days we generally don't CALL Hispanics "people of color" or label them another race) what was regarded back then as an interracial relationship (even if the idea of it being interracial is a bit ridiculous in current parlance--but you can't insist in one breath that the Sharks are "people of color" and then in the next NOT call it interracial between the two). 

Really the big barrier at ALL is that it's about gangs PERIOD, regardless of the race.  Then again, "Oliver" is on some level about thieves, right? And I bet that show is possibly on the short list for the NBC treatment.