Type keyword(s) to search

The Wiz Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The thing is the gutsiest thing to do with West Side Story would be to not only accept the racial element of it, but explore it. 

You COULD change up the Puerto Rican gang for a black one, for example, and try to make it relevant to a world where rampant cop shootings of black youths on the street introduce more complexities into talking about so-called "gangs" in a story. The screaming and yelling over that would likely come from both sides though if you did. From overly-PC-culture-monitors who think it badly represents African-Americans and don't see the advantage of actually using it to make social commentary, and pissed off Hispanics angry at having THEIR representation in a play yanked.

Then there's the interracial romance element.  Hispanic--White barely qualified as that even in the 60s and now would be eye rolling to even comment on. But even black-white romances are totally dismissable today, with no dramatic juice to them at all.  Now a GAY romance ("Mario! I just met a boy named Mario!") would stir things up, but I'm no longer talking about a Sunday night holiday "family" special if they did it, so lets just acknowledge I'm talking impossible theoreticals here.

Ah well. South Pacific maybe?  (joking) 

Edited by Kromm

Kromm, I love the idea of 1776, but it'll never happen. A bunch of white males in a very loooong production, no kid parts, only two briefly-seen women--sadly not going to be seen as family entertainment, even though it became one of my all-time fave films when I was in junior high. One theater here in Chicago did a concert version of 1776 about 20 years ago where they did gender-blind casting, switching John and Abigail's genders very successfully, if I remember the reviews correctly.

The problem with The Sound of Music is that it didn't feel like watching live theater, it felt like an episode of Passions with music. THIS felt like theater. It's funny, as old as The Wiz is it doesn't feel old. If they can at least get Shanice Williams to reprise the role on Broadway I'm so ready to visit NY to see it.

West Side Story has a pretty big attempted rape scene in the middle of the play and doesn't the male lead die at the end? That isn't going to fly.

So many famous musicals are either too antiquated or risque to do give NBC what they need. We have to keep this family friendly, (somewhat) modern and kind of well known. And I doubt they would or could do a play that's currently having a successful run on Broadway (which is why we won't see Wicked). 

In The Heights would kill on TV, it's really perfect in terms of modern musicals. But I highly doubt it'll happen because Lin Manuel Miranda would be heavily involved and dude is busy as hell and probably still wants to make that movie version before even considering live TV. Also I don't think it's well enough known to a general audience for NBC.

Mamma Mia was a very successful film and the songs are obviously very well known. It's the same case with Dreamgirls. But I worry they'd follow to closely to the success of the films.

I'd love to see a live version of Legally Blonde but it might be too soon after the MTV airing they did a few years. And a bunch of people would probably just ask "Where's Reese Witherspoon?". 

Moving spec to another thread...

Shallow, but I didn't like Dorothy's outfit. The gingham dress is probably copyrighted or something, but I would've liked a more direct of an homage.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

How about Cats or Les Miz?

I think Cats might do better than Les Miz only because the latter's sets are so elaborate and almost part of the story. I think it's just too big for this format and with commercials it would probably wind up being 5 hours long.

Les Mis not only has a recent movie battling for people's comparison, it also is about revolution, prison and other not-fun stuff.

True, the movie wasn't too long ago, but by the time it would take to get the show cast and scheduled, it wouldn't be that bad.  Afterall, don't they still show Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz at least once a year on TV? 

I would think a proletariat revolution is right up NBC's alley. ;D  The prison part is very minor really.  I think the 'worst' or hardest part for 'family viewing' is the prostitution bit.

I could see a color-blind Bye Bye Birdie working. They did one on a network back in the 90's and it could work again.

A large part of the plot line of Bye Bye Birdie is Albert's mother rejecting his relationship with Rosie because she is Hispanic.

An obvious choice for NBC would be a live production of Bombshell, the musical they created for the show Smash. Not only do they basically own all the music already, they could get a lot of the same actors to do it.

As awesome as that would be, it's not going to bring in a lot of viewers. You'll get the people that watched Smash and towards the end those were pretty low numbers. You need something that more people would recognize.

In "The Wizard of Oz" classic movie, the Wicked Witch lights her broom on fire and then the Scarecrow.  Dorothy tosses the bucket of water to extinguish Scarecrow and it also hits the WW.  So Dorothy doesn't intend on killing the WW.

In "The Wiz," she just tosses it while the WW is only making verbal threats.  Seemed off.  Thoughts?   

http://www.racialicious.com/2015/12/04/flash-review-nbc-spends-money-on-lights-designers-talent-for-live-production-of-the-wiz-and-it-shows/

A nice article about The Wiz.

BTW, "West Side Story" had two sets of gangs, Puerto Ricans and whites; that area of NYC was like that in the 50's and 60's, lots of gangs.

In the live production I saw over the summer, the Puerto Rican and non-Puerto Rican gangs were both mixed race.

Things like West Side Story and Les Miserables might be too dark for what NBC is going for, which is a family friendly special for the holidays.  I mean, yes, Sound of Music had the rise of the Nazis, but it ended relatively happily. 

South Pacific could work, and its subplot about racism and overcoming it is timely, especially nowadays.

I still think Little Shop of Horrors would work because:

-it has Musical ENERGY which Sound of Music and Peter Pan sorely lacked, and The Wiz had in spades.

-it may involve killings, but not in an overtly gruesome way. In the same way Sound of Music is not Schindlers List, Little Shop is not Sweeney Todd. The murders can be done in a way that doesn't offend family friendly sensibility. (By the way, plenty of "family friendly" material includes murder: The Lion King, The Wiz, Bambi)

-It has a large cast, including opportunities to cast many big names like The Wiz did. Personally, I'd love to see Anna Kendrick as Audrey.

-It's well known, but not as recently filmed as Annie or Les Miserables.

• Love 1

In The Heights would kill on TV, it's really perfect in terms of modern musicals. But I highly doubt it'll happen because Lin Manuel Miranda would be heavily involved and dude is busy as hell and probably still wants to make that movie version before even considering live TV. Also I don't think it's well enough known to a general audience for NBC.

I would love this, but like you said Lin-Manuel Miranda is incredibly busy with Hamilton (which is fantastic by the way) and if he was not involved in some way I would be irritated. I agree it is probably not that well known to general audiences.

Family friendly that has a story/songs that the general public has heard of is somewhat hard to think of. I feel like Annie is so overdone. Little Shop of Horrors is a good one. Maybe a Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat? 

Maybe a Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?

Ooh, I like this choice, but I'm not sure if it's popular enough, or if it will be too potentially controversial because it's based on a Bible story.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Speaking of the soundtrack recording, it was released in both physical CD & download form yesterday, December 11th.

OK... This article says the physical CD won't be released until next Friday, December 18th, but the downloadable version is available now, including through iTunes.

http://m.playbill.com/news/article/yall-got-it-the-wiz-live-soundtrack-with-new-material-released-today-373856

Edited by BW Manilowe

While I was annoyed with the product placement of Apple.  I do like the way the producers handled it by having it during the song called "He's the Wiz."  Given that the Wiz in the musical is basically a man/woman who is a carnival trickster - well done producers.

Five nominations from the Critics Choice Awards!

BEST ACTRESS IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES

Shanice Williams – The Wiz Live!

BEST MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES

The Wiz Live!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES

David Alan Grier – The Wiz Live!

Ne-Yo – The Wiz Live!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOVIE MADE FOR TELEVISION OR LIMITED SERIES

Mary J. Blige – The Wiz Live!

Edited by Trini
  • Love 4

Oh that's so sweet that they recognized Shanice! I bet she's over the moon.

It really is one hell of a Cinderella story. I hope she's got some good people in her corner to keep her grounded through this whirlwind.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Well, I'll be damned. There it is. How faithful to the book is this show? I read the book when it was first published and in my mind it's about battered women, racism, and lesbian love. Even if none of that's in the musical, based on this clip I don't think it's family friendly enough for NBC, but what do I know, anyway? I never would have imagined it set to music in the first place.

Don't forget: NBC is airing an encore broadcast of The Wiz Live! TONIGHT, December 19th, at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central.

Well, I'll be damned. There it is. How faithful to the book is this show? I read the book when it was first published and in my mind it's about battered women, racism, and lesbian love. Even if none of that's in the musical, based on this clip I don't think it's family friendly enough for NBC, but what do I know, anyway? I never would have imagined it set to music in the first place.

The Color Purple was originally produced on Broadway in 2005. It's currently back on Broadway in a Revival production. Oprah Winfrey was 1 of the producers of the original production & I believe she's also a producer of the current Revival production.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Color_Purple_(musical)

Edited by BW Manilowe

Thanks for the follow up on The Color Purple. I think in my mind it's impossible to sing about battery, but after reading the Wikipedia, I guess they found a way.

Hulu also has The Wiz Live, if anyone wants to see it and finds the re-broadcast inconvenient.

I have a crush on Shanice Williams, I'm watching the rerun tonight, and I really like Dorothy's outfit.  I've read some really strong reactions to her costume but I think she looks great, I'm glad they switched the color of her jacket for the live broadcast.  

What if they did " The Wizard of Oz?"

The Wizard of Oz movie is great but doesn't translate well live on stage, imo.  The Wiz Live! is a very compelling adaptation from start to finish that pays homages to The Wiz movie, original broadway show, and the Judy Garland-starring "Oz."  It would almost seem cruel to do another version because it would pale by comparison.  

Art Directors Guild nomination:

AWARDS OR EVENT SPECIAL

67th ANNUAL EMMY AWARDS
Production Designers: TAMLYN WRIGHT, BAZ HALPIN

THE AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS: 2015
Production Designers: JOE STEWART, JOHN SHAFFNER

THE OSCARS: 2015
Production Designer: DEREK McLANE

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: “40th Anniversary Special”
Production Designers: KEITH IAN RAYWOOD, EUGENE LEE, AKIRA YOSHIMURA, N. JOSEPH DeTULLIO, PETER BARAN

THE WIZ LIVE
Production Designer: DEREK McLANE

• Love 1

One of my favorite podcasts, 'Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time, Period' has a recent episode with David Alan Grier, the veteran actor who played the cowardly lion. Great episode. DAG gives some informative--and hilarious--inside information about the making of  the show and the production itself.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/wolfpop/denzel-washington-is-the-greatest/e/58-the-wiz-live-w-david-alan-grier-41692957

• Love 1

Hee! Not a surprise at all, but Hamilton is amazing. I managed to get tickets three times, so it is possible. Twice were through the lottery. 

So you're one of the lucky few! First I'd need a plane ticket to NY unfortunately. Is it silly that I've contemplated going to NY just for one day to see the show and fly back home? It's very silly but I'm obsessed.

• Love 2

Hairspray! Great news!

Also: Of course! Why didn't any of us think of that?! It has a perfect mix of nostalgia, modernity, fun music, and message/but not too threatening.

Personally, I thought the movie was too recent for them to do a live musical already.

I feel like the choreography will be the tricky part of the show. The songs aren't vocally demanding( besides " I Know Where I've Been," )but the sheer amount of dancing could be a challenge.

• Love 1