Type keyword(s) to search

The Wiz Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Someone did suggest it earlier in this thread, and the following comments thought it was too soon. I really wanted it to be Hairspray, so I'm pumped. 

Can they bring back Elijah as Seaweed? He hasn't aged in the 9 years. 

• Love 1

I feel like the choreography will be the tricky part of the show. The songs aren't vocally demanding( besides " I Know Where I've Been," )but the sheer amount of dancing could be a challenge.

"You Can't Stop the Beat" is pretty vocally demanding I think. It'll leave a few actors breathless anyway.

"You Can't Stop the Beat" is pretty vocally demanding I think. It'll leave a few actors breathless anyway.

True. I should've clarified. By " vocally demanding," I just meant that it wasn't like " Les Miserables" or another musical requiring big Broadway style voices.

My guess is they will do something similar for Hairspray as they did for The Wiz. Cast an unknown as Tracy and then surround her with all Well Known people. It worked out well for The Wiz. 

I wonder if they could get Queen Latifah to reprise her role? The movie is recent enough (just about 9 years) that all the adults from the film could pretty much reprise their roles, except James Marsden. Corny Collins should be in his 20's. I actually love the idea of Zac Efron coming back as Corny- I can see him rocking the shit out of it.

And a big fat NO to Rebel Wilson. Her dead-pan delivery in every single role she does doesn't fit Tracey, and that's if you ignore that Rebel is about twice the age of Tracey. (And it seems like these producers are trying to keep to age-appropriate castings.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I wonder if they could get Queen Latifah to reprise her role? The movie is recent enough (just about 9 years) that all the adults from the film could pretty much reprise their roles, except

James Marsden. Corny Collins should be in his

20's. I actually love the idea of Zac Efron coming

back as Corny- I can see him rocking the shit

out of it.

And a big fat NO to Rebel Wilson. Her dead-pan delivery in every single role she does doesn't fit Tracey, and that's if you ignore that Rebel is about twice the age of Tracey. (And it seems

like these producers are trying to keep to age-

appropriate castings.)

James Marsden was in his 30s when he played Corny, though. Has it actually been said anywhere that the character is meant to be a 20 something?

• Love 1

James Marsden was in his 30s when he played Corny, though. Has it actually been said anywhere that the character is meant to be a 20 something?

Hmm. He was, although he still passed for his 20's back then. I guess I just thought the character was supposed to be a young guy.

Zac Efron's career seems to be in a generally upward trajectory right now, flops notwithstanding, but otherwise, I really could've seen him coming back to play Corny.

Please just do not let them cast John Travolta. I will take anyone else, but not John Travolta. Then again there are probably other actors that I do not want to see as Edna either. I just cannot think of any off-hand besides John Travolta.

• Love 1

Please just do not let them cast John Travolta. I will take anyone else, but not John Travolta. Then again there are probably other actors that I do not want to see as Edna either. I just cannot think of any off-hand besides John Travolta.

I don't want them to cast Rebel Wilson. I love most Australian actors/actresses (& singers) who've worked/are working in American-based projects (like Rachel Griffiths, Alex O'Loughlin, & Olivia Newton-John, for example) but, for whatever reason, I cannot stand Rebel Wilson. If she's in Hairspray, I'll either have to pass or grin & bear it because I do wanna see it.

• Love 1

6 Emmy nominations!

The Wiz Live!

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION, EVENT OR AWARD SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING COSTUMES FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION OR REALITY PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN/LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL DIRECTION, CAMERAWORK, VIDEO CONTROL FOR A LIMITED SERIES, MOVIE OR SPECIAL

• Love 3

David Alan Grier discusses his experience doing "The Wiz Live!":

The above clip is from a longer interview where he discusses his new game show Snap Decision, his acting and comedy career, and his relationship with David Mamet, among other things. You can watch the full interview here:

• Love 1