Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: End of Days

The race is on for Jamie as he struggles to assemble his loved ones, rescue Layla from the clutches of his evil twin and reach the bunker before the approaching meteor strikes. Meanwhile, Sr Celine makes a discovery that makes her want to survive the apocalypse more than ever, while those racing from America to Sutton's bunker are put in jeopardy when their plane is forced to land in a field

Slightly anti-climactic, in that we already knew most of the people who make it in to the bunker already, but some cool moments. Rhonda shooting that guy in the head was unexpected.

We never really got to know Rhonda's husband, so his sacrifice at the end fell a little flat for me. I'd rather it were Scottie.

• Love 1

We still don't know who is in the box though. 

I'd assumed it was going to be Leanne, on the grounds that she's the most likely person they'd want to lock up.

And that last scene, just the subtle change in Matthew Bayton's expression that made all the difference...damn he's good!

• Love 8

Oh, c'mon, that was Ariel??  This show needs a second season because I want to see him defeated forever.

Loved that Jamie was actually the Messiah, the bit at the Thames was great.  I guess that will help him survive  outside. Otoh,  if this is the Christian Apocalypse no one is supposed  to survive, right? 

• Love 4

I suspected the switch since the narrator was so put off by being surrounded by his fellow survivors, and each episode it became more clear that these were people he not only knew but would have wanted to save. Ariel, of course, not so much. If the Thames was no obstacle to Jamie, though, the door should be a cinch. I decided to binge-watch the series rather than wait for the weekly installments, It flows well. Hoping there is a second series, though it will be somewhat claustrophobic compared to this. Also, the actresses playing Layla/Hawkwind and Sister Celine look so much alike I am wondering if they are as connected as everyone else has turned out to be.

• Love 2

Any thoughts as to who is in the box at the end?  Others have speculated its an American because of the accent.  Someone also suggested the embryologist from the US bunker.   She did say not to trust the monkey and that he is evil...or some such thing.  Could be some sort of researcher.

Whoa! I really liked that. I suspect the supernatural elements may turn some people off, but I didn't mind. I thought maybe something less obvious would happen, like they'd find a boat or some debris would fall across the river allowing them to walk across on that, but I guess they wanted to make it very clear that there really was a divine power involved. The previous hints about Frankie were more subtle, and Celine's vision could easily have been a drunken hallucination. But the river, well... no ambiguity about interpretation there.

I was disturbed by Rhonda killing the guy instead of offering him to join them, just like I was upset by the shooting of the guards last week.

I enjoyed Leanne putting out the fire with the fire extinguisher, though. Somehow that was really funny to me.

I wish the ratings had been better.

• Love 9

What a great little show! I say little even though the scope (so many storylines, so many locations) was pretty large. But ten episodes is only ten episodes. I'm wondering if there's any hope for a second season? I have a theory that the manhole cover on which Jamie places his hand as he's crawling toward Rhonda's husband is a route to the bunker somehow, and that they both get in.

• Love 8

Was it really Jamie who opened the river, or was it Celine? 

The doctor should have his own ideas about who's superfluous. 

I agree, the monkey is pure evil. 

Wish there was more.

• Love 5

I really loved this show, and was guessing until the end if that was really Jamie in the bunker or if Ariel made the switch.  That was very well done.

Count me among those that didn't care for the parting of the Thames.  I would have liked it better if something like a tall clock tower/steeple fell and created a bridge or a sinkhole opened up and drained it, or something like that.  I preferred not knowing whether Jamie's mom was really nuts with the messiah stuff and being able to chalk other incidents up to coincidence.

Has there been a decision as to a second season?  I'm rooting for it!

• Love 2

Well sonofabitch.  I guess we'll have to write our own second season.

It's too bad that they didn't know sooner that there'd be no second season.  Maybe they could have written a more conclusive ending.

I'm sad. 

• Love 5

Well, you never know when a British show will do another series.  (Look at Red Dwarf.) In fact, the actors' aging could work in their favor - a few years down the road hopefully someone will want to see what happened to everyone in the bunkers... 

• Love 4
(edited)

I really enjoyed this series, and I'm disappointed there won't be more.  I figure Jamie would have made it in there somehow, and I wanted to see what would happen in the bunker. 

It was Moses that parted the Red Sea, right?  Didn't he die just before they got to the Promised Land?  Does that mean Jamie is Moses?

Maybe Celine's miracle baby is the Messiah, and it was Celine's prayers that parted the Thames.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8

Very frustrating end for the story since there won't be another season. By the time we got to the last episode I was pretty sure that was going to be Ariel in the bunker because they kept letting him escape. I would be interested to know what they might have had planned for a second season, and now I guess we'll never know who was in that box.

• Love 3

What a great episode, the river parting was epic. And I was chilled when Rhonda shot the driver, someone wrote a while back about this show that the apocalypse is about revealing who you are, the core. Rhonda never would have done that if she hadn't been through everything she has been through. I was also horrified that Ariel is the one sitting on the couch. Why didn't God tell Mary that Ariel is the son of Satan when he/she told her that Jamie was the son of God? Cause he certainly seems to be. One quibble, I don't really believe Celine would know that she's infertile, she's been a nun and nun in training since she was a kid on the streets of Naples. When/why would she have had the testing to know she couldn't have a baby?

As for what would happen if there was a Season 2, I think Jamie and Rhonda's husband get in, either Jamie opens the door, or they walk through it.

I agree with what someone else said that I really miss Jude. He was the irreverent heart of the show, although Bayton is definitely the one the story revolves around.

• Love 3

"I enjoyed Leanne putting out the fire with the fire extinguisher, though. Somehow that was really funny to me."

Yeah, that was a nice side plot, the conflict between Leanne and Gaines. Gaines thought she was going to let them die, and then she saves them. And then she tells him that she's changed, and puts a smudge of dirt over the swastika. The smudge was reminiscent of when Christians are marked with ashes on Ash Wednesday -although it may be they just wanted the image of it covered up, not that it had religious implications. And then when Gaines and Leanne both said that if Rhonda hadn't shot the driver they would have.

• Love 6

I thought yesterday's finale was well done. Somehow Jamie and the husband get in is what I think happened. The evil grin by Ariel at the end though. Creepy! I missed Jude. Not really a Rob Lowe fan but he did a really good job on this show.

Leanne and the fire extinguisher. LOL

• Love 4

One quibble, I don't really believe Celine would know that she's infertile, she's been a nun and nun in training since she was a kid on the streets of Naples. When/why would she have had the testing to know she couldn't have a baby?

I wondered that as well, but it's possible she was born with some kind of deformity or medical condition she's known about since childhood. (I'm no doctor, obviously.)

There's sort of a dark undercoat to the characters when you think of it - Rhonda and Scottie and Gaines have all been portrayed more or less as heroes and good people but when it came to saving themselves they had no concern for others. I know that's probably human nature but it's kind of an ugly side to it. Why didn't Rhonda offer the guy with the truck a spot in the bunker? Seems like the magnanimous thing to do would be to try and fit as many people in there as it would hold. They were all kind of selfish about the whole thing.

• Love 3

Celine could have known about infertility because of other gyn issues. She could have had problems with her cycle, seen a gynecologist, gotten some kind of diagnosis. I don't think it's that far-fetched. Certainly not less credible than a lot of other things that this and other tv  shows have fed us.

• Love 4

Scotty and Arnold passed on a bunker themselves. And Scotty tried to pass on the free extra bunker because he felt guilty over the people they had killed, such as the President, in Scotty's plan to save a fragment of humanity. In what really is a zero-sum, kill some so others can live, I'm not so sure they haven't done about as well as mere people can.

Rhonda has been rather more ruthless from the time she pointed the gun at the teen's head. But it seems likely she's thinking of limited supplies. The Slough bunker is apparently over loaded as it is. 

• Love 3

What a pity we'll never know what happens in Season 2. Who is in that box? and why did it take Jamie that long to show up? Was he knocked unconscious? How did ariel wake up from the car accident, find his way - in full health - to the bunker so quickly, find his way across the river, and then knock his bro unconscious, rip his clothes off him, change, and be in perfectly sane state of mind, with no blood or bruises on him anywhere? too weird. also - layla totally realized it was ariel, y ou could see the look on her face.

also: If Raj is dying of cancer, and is in the hospital on so many machines, how does he suddenly have the strength to be away from the hospital and all that? He's dying... but he doesnt look sick? Very strange.

• Love 4

I was a tad surprised since for some unknown reason I thought this was a one-time self-contained show.  I loved this quirky little series -- but every time I like a quirky show, it gets cancelled.  C'est la vie.

When they got to the Thames, I expected Jamie to barrel the limo across the bridge and fly over the gap!

• Love 4

When they got to the Thames, I expected Jamie to barrel the limo across the bridge and fly over the gap!

If they'd already known it was not going to get another series, maybe they would've gone for water skis over sharks.
  • Love 3

I was a tad surprised since for some unknown reason I thought this was a one-time self-contained show. I loved this quirky little series -- but every time I like a quirky show, it gets cancelled. C'est la vie.

I had always thought this was supposed to be a limited series (miniseries). I never thought it would go beyond this season.

The finale really disturbed me. I found every part of it terrible. It ended on such a downer, with so many open ended questions.

(one of my biggest question is, how one asteroid that's 8 miles long would destroy the ENTIRE world. at most, I'd think it'd destroy a few hundred miles. Not the entire earth, both hemispheres and both sides of the world. very far fetched.)

(one of my biggest question is, how one asteroid that's 8 miles long would destroy the ENTIRE world. at most, I'd think it'd destroy a few hundred miles. Not the entire earth, both hemispheres and both sides of the world. very far fetched.)

The impact could knock the earth off of it's access or orbit, which would trigger devasting climate change. Even without that, the result would likely be similar to nuclear war--also with fatal climate change.
  • Love 2

What would happen if a large comet or asteroid hit the earth?

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3112

I think the fires are because the debris is heated up by passing through the atmosphere, and the impact of a superhot ball of gas and whatever else hitting flammable materials causes ignition and explosions? But that's a guess.

Thinking about it, it means the extinction would not be instantaneous, it would be the slow death of mass starvation, exposure, probable radiation leaks and chemical spills as various facilities are hit or go offline, breathing sooty air, breakdown of society and thus chaos and lack of amenities in general, such as utilities and medical care. Some would die in fires or from direct impacts, but others would be stuck muddling through for a while.

This show is the rare one where I don't have in mind what I want to have happen next. If they were renewed, I would have been just waiting to see, not hoping they go this way or that way in particular. I can think of many ways to go with the story, and I don't particularly know which one I would prefer.

• Love 1

Well dammit.  I would have watched a second season because I don't see how they could let Jamie die and would be curious as to how he was rescued. And I love Matthew Bayton.  I'm thinking a second camera gambit would have come into play, perhaps Rhonda taking one last look at her husband and seeing Jamie crawling on the ground. 

Would Dave and the Mum have a real marriage?  Since it was such an apocalyptic thing to do, getting married like that.  Who's in the crate?  And who really parted the Thames - Jamie, Celine or Frankie?  So many questions.

I was kind of shocked when Rhonda pulled the trigger, did not see that one coming. 

What a weird, quirky, dark yet funny little show.  I really liked it.

• Love 4

So much for the blue shirt being the tell that it was Jamie and not Ariel! 

I also think Rhonda sneaked a last peek at the camera and saw Jamie with Raj.  Then perhaps Jamie was able to move the truck, and the bunker inhabitants could open the door for him. 

We were never told where on Earth the asteroid would hit, were we?  Agreed that death will be instantaneous in the immediate vicinity, but it will take a lot longer the farther one is from the impact zone.  All the debris thrown into the atmosphere would solve global warming, but another ice age would certainly ensue until the dust settles out.

I'm going to miss this show!

• Love 1

Well, THAT was depressing.

From Seinfeld: Don't you hate "to be continued" on TV. It's horrible when you sense the "to be continued" coming. You know, you're watching the show. You're into the story. There's like five minutes left and suddenly you realize, "Hey, they can't make it." Timmy's still stuck in the cave. There's no way they wrap this up in five minutes. I mean the whole reason you watch a TV show is because it ends. If I want a long boring story with no point to it, I have my life.

And in this case, they have a "to be continued" with no second season.  Seriously, TV people, I have enough depressing things going on in my real walking around life.

• Love 3

Well, THAT was depressing.

From Seinfeld: Don't you hate "to be continued" on TV. It's horrible when you sense the "to be continued" coming. You know, you're watching the show. You're into the story. There's like five minutes left and suddenly you realize, "Hey, they can't make it." Timmy's still stuck in the cave. There's no way they wrap this up in five minutes. I mean the whole reason you watch a TV show is because it ends. If I want a long boring story with no point to it, I have my life.

And in this case, they have a "to be continued" with no second season.  Seriously, TV people, I have enough depressing things going on in my real walking around life.

Knowing now that the show is not "to be continued," I can appreciate the ending more--hanging chads and all.

But if you want a definitive, satisfying ending, watch the 8-episode mini-series 11.22.63 that just finished on Hulu.

"Well, THAT was depressing.

And in this case, they have a "to be continued" with no second season.  Seriously, TV people, I have enough depressing things going on in my real walking around life."

I wish they had tied up a few more ends-like does Jamie really end up outside the bunker? But no matter where they ended it, there would always be questions. One of my guesses is that someone sees Jamie and Raj outside and demands that the door be opened. Even though the door shouldn't open, it does and then scramble in. That way you still don't know who did it  --if Jamie is divine he sure isn't good at it. I can't believe evil Ariel would triumph in the end.

• Love 1

Too bad it's canceled. I really enjoyed this quirky little show. The writing was solid, the premise was good and the cast was talented. Watching Pam Beesly commit murder while carjacking a van is something I certainly never thought I'd see.

As with all canceled series i enjoy, I'll hope Netflix can do something with it. After all, it worked out well for Longmire.

• Love 2

one of my biggest question is, how one asteroid that's 8 miles long would destroy the ENTIRE world. at most, I'd think it'd destroy a few hundred miles. Not the entire earth, both hemispheres and both sides of the world. very far fetched.

I believe the way it was presented in this show was as a "mass-extinction" event, similar to what wiped out the dinosaurs. A cloud of debris would envelop the earth long enough to kill off all the vegetation, followed by a chain reaction of higher organisms dependent on it. And I suppose we need vegetation to create oxygen. 

• Love 2
On 04/04/2016 at 7:56 PM, shapeshifter said:

if you want a definitive, satisfying ending, watch the 8-episode mini-series 11.22.63 that just finished on Hulu.

Funny you should mention that particular show... A definitive ending, for sure, but I don't know about satisfying. I won't comment more on this for fear of spoiling it; but I second the recommendation!

On 01/04/2016 at 4:22 AM, sjohnson said:

Was it really Jamie who opened the river, or was it Celine?

Are they all Jesuses? Did you guys notice, after the plane crash, at 19'57, the kid named Spike had his hands pierced by a giant nail in a manner quite reminiscent of a crucifixion? Between that and the parting of the Thames, they really went all in this finale!

I'll miss this show, very sad it won't get a second season, it was crazy in all the right ways.

• Love 7

If you want to read a novel about the science of a comet hitting the Earth, you could do worse than 2016 Hugo nominee SEVENEVES by Neal Stephenson, although it's actually the Moon that gets hit, breaking it into seven pieces and then.... anyway if you take the science out of the novel and just read the human bits, you'd have basically a novella. Maybe even a short story. The book is Thick!

Is the series out on DVD? I missed a few episodes. My DVD player can handle PAL.

Edited by femmefan1946
spelling

The Region 2 dvd is supposedly available from third parties on Amazon, no American release from the looks of it. (When I clicked on the dvd button, it doesn't do anything.) You can get the whole season digitally for $20. I imagine iTunes and Google would have it if Amazon does. 

• Love 1
On 9/8/2016 at 0:30 AM, femmefan1946 said:

If you want to read a novel about the science of a comet hitting the Earth, you could do worse than 2016 Hugo nominee SEVENEVES by Neal Stephenson, although it's actually the Moon that gets hit, breaking it into seven pieces and then.... anyway if you take the science out of the novel and just read the human bits, you'd have basically a novella. Maybe even a short story. The book is Thick!

Another good book about a comet hitting the Earth is Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

• Love 2