Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: AKA 99 Friends

Maybe it's not the best idea to bluff you're bullet proof when you have two bloody wounds on your face...

However, good use of exposition, for those (like me) still figuring out just how much damage she can take. So she's probably a bit like Buffy in that regard.

• Love 4

I like the paranoia where anyone can be the enemy (it's a bit like that movie Fallen) but I could have done without that "I must avenge my mother" storyline, especially since none of the characters involved in the "incident" can appear on the show. I love that the cop wasn't a throwaway character. He can be a good asset but I fear that he won't be around for long.

• Love 4

Wow, if he was as close as Malcolm he could have reacquired her anytime. So he's either doing it for shits and giggles, or he's a little wary.

The asshole Ms. Eastman was a nice bit of lightness in the darkness, shooting Jessica notwithstanding. How did she know Jessica was 'one of them'?

• Love 3

The asshole Ms. Eastman was a nice bit of lightness in the darkness, shooting Jessica notwithstanding. How did she know Jessica was 'one of them'?

The wife of the man Jessica served papers on in the first episode was a client of Ms. Eastman's horrible jewelry designs.  Probably ranted about it in passing.

I said early on in Daredevil that I thought Karen Page was ultimately the hero of the show, not Matt, and I'm wondering if I'm going to walk away thinking that Trish is the hero of this show, not Jessica, too.  

I really dig the way they kept the detail that Jessica can fly, she's just not good at it.  And they visualize it so well, too.

• Love 2

I'm really really enjoying Jessica Jones, but this episode didn't quite work for me.  I haven't finished the entire series yet, but of the 6 I've watched so far this one was the only real weak link.  The crazy jewelry designer plot line made no sense and doesn't seem to add anything to the larger plot of the story.

• Love 2

I'm not familiar with any of the movies or comics. Can someone please catch me up on what the incident was? Buildings crashing and superheroes, I gather, and the general populace knows about them?

The Incident was the plot of The Avengers. In short, aliens invaded NYC, and Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, and Thor defeated them but not without a lot of structural damage and loss of life. It was all over the news and the Avengers are household names. 

• Love 5
the Avengers are household names.

Only, not apparently on this show. That's the one thing that is bugging me  about this very stylish and interesting show. That nobody seems to be able to say Hulk or Captain America. Why is that? It's all owned by Marvel..are the names some intellectual property deal that I don't understand?

• Love 2

Only, not apparently on this show. That's the one thing that is bugging me  about this very stylish and interesting show. That nobody seems to be able to say Hulk or Captain America. Why is that? It's all owned by Marvel..are the names some intellectual property deal that I don't understand?

No, I think it's just a choice on the parts of Netflix/the creators. I worked a bit better in Daredevil, I thought, because the played down the superhero aspect. But super heroics are key to Jessica's story, so they can't totally ignore them. It's as if they believe that invoking the names of superheroes will break the street level illusion, and it's one of the few clunky pieces in an otherwise great (so far) show. A nitpick to be sure.

I get how the Eastman plot highlighted Jessica's damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't life, and it is in to see that individuals other than Kilgrave have it out for her. But it also seemed a little shoehorned in, and I have to wonder if it was done as a nod to what's about to happen in the next Captain America movie. The tone of the MCU right now is one of distrust towards the heroes, and the continuity nerd in me loves that they're hitting on that and keeping a cohesive tie throughout. But the reticence to use other character names makes it a bit jarring.

• Love 6

Because the Netflix shows are so tonally different from the rest of MCU, they have tried to keep them distinct from each other.  The kinds of characters we're seeing here are really unlikely to be Avengers fanboys, so it kind of tracks.  Although, yeah, they really should stick Avengers Tower into the skyline.  That bugs.

• Love 3

Trisha's friendship with the cop is sweet. Didn't he say he was special ops? He could train Trish more and make her a geniun threat. I really wouldn't mind if Trish turns into a sort of hero in of the season.

I liked the Easman subplot. It works well with the overall universe. There are plenty of people who have reason to fear that their are powered people out there. There are plenty of people who lost love ones during the NYC incedent and may blame the Avengers for it.

I am liking the lawyer lady (What the hell is her name?) and her divorce subplot. I liked the scene where she brought her girlfriend to the same place she had proposed to her wife. The whole scene worked for me and further emphasized what kind of person Jessica's sometimes employer is, I am interested in whose side she untimely chooses.

• Love 3

No, not Malcolm! I like that dopey stoner. But I guess it shouldn't really be a surprise that Kilgrave is that close. Either he enjoys the game too much, or he's scared that his powers won't work on Jessica again, because there's no reason otherwise why he wouldn't just be standing outside her door one morning, to take control of her.

Hogarth is a cold bitch, and no mistake. Taking her new girlfriend to the place she proposed to her wife, and her only care when her wife sees them is "she's not getting this restaurant". But she actually seems concerned and trying to help, in her own way, in her scenes with Jessica. It's an interesting form of (very) tough love.

Jessica's snark is gold, really. The montage of Kilgrave victims, her defensive and dismissive "yeah, I'm not into it either" when the cop frowned at the idea of sharing with the group, making fun of Hogarth's girlfriend's clothes. She does bring moments of fun, which the show needs. None of that from the background characters in this one.

The Eastman plot was a bit strange. At first, I thought it would be a simple case of them getting off on being watched, some weird voyeuristic kink. It took a while to figure out what the deal was with her, and it seemed a bit out of left field. Which I guess was the intention. But I think this is the first time that the innocent victims of Avenger antics has been directly addressed. It's easy to watch the movies and wonder at the spectacle, but for every explosion or collapsing building, there will be countless who are maimed and killed.

I still love Trish, and even though she was a bit victim-like in this episode, it's very justified by what she's just been through. She's no quitter, though. Whether it's staring down the cop or smiling in anticipation when she sees the gun, she's going to stand on her own two feet. I'm intrigued by the developments with said cop. I thought he'd be a one episode 'collateral damage' character, but now he looks like he'll play a bigger role. Friend or potential love interest, I like the guy. He's a good man who was tortured by what he thought he'd been made to do, the consequences of Kilgrave's powers summed up. I wonder whether he actually thinks that telling him to kill himself was actually a kindness. I guess we need more insight into Kilgrave's mind before figuring that out.

That scene of them talking being juxtaposed with the support group was nicely done. While Trish hasn't been controlled by Kilgrave (that we know of), his actions have had a massive impact on her life. It's a different kind of control, that had her hiding in her apartment and refusing to open the door. But she'll work through it.

And is it just me, or did they give off-duty cop a very Steve Rogers look? Blue shirt, brown leather jacket, the combed back blonde hair? It might be complete coincidence, but I found it curious.

No, I think it's just a choice on the parts of Netflix/the creators. I worked a bit better in Daredevil, I thought, because the played down the superhero aspect. But super heroics are key to Jessica's story, so they can't totally ignore them. It's as if they believe that invoking the names of superheroes will break the street level illusion, and it's one of the few clunky pieces in an otherwise great (so far) show. A nitpick to be sure.

I think it fits Jessica's character as well. She puts on this front of being a misanthropic bitch who has no time for anyone, and I imagine the idea of saying names like 'Captain America' and 'the Hulk' would make her cringe. Easier to be dismissive of them like she was, because that reinforces her image as someone who doesn't give a crap, and it also lets her distance herself from the time she tried being a hero, which she mentioned in the previous episode.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 14

And is it just me, or did they give off-duty cop a very Steve Rogers look? Blue shirt, brown leather jacket, the combed back blonde hair? It might be complete coincidence, but I found it curious.

Agree with you on this.  I thought it curious too.  

Also the guy whose jacket Kilgrave stole. He dresses like Kilgrave so when I saw him in the group in the diner for a second I thought Kilgrave was there !!!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Ross' ex-wife's wife Susan from Friends! Wow, her attitude is somewhat relevant to recent events. The "gifted" were not responsible for what happened to your mother and they're not all to blame.

Because the Netflix shows are so tonally different from the rest of MCU, they have tried to keep them distinct from each other.  The kinds of characters we're seeing here are really unlikely to be Avengers fanboys, so it kind of tracks.  Although, yeah, they really should stick Avengers Tower into the skyline.  That bugs.

.As someone on Reddit said about Jessica Jones after that dark first episode  "This takes place in the same universe as a talking raccoon!"

Watching the last episode I thought the cop was a little too good looking to be just  a day player!

Man, Jeri is just a major c-word. Taking your mistress to the place you proposed to the wife you're divorcing? That's fucked up.

Favorite Jessica line of the ep(to Jeri's secretary/mistress): "I couldn't hear you over that print(dress)."

The final reveal was heartbreaking.

My fanwank as to why we don't see Avengers Tower in the skyline is that since it presumably takes place after Age of Ultron where the team has relocated their base to upstate New York, Tony Stark took the tower down.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I didn't really notice this last episode, but now that that cop isn't trying to kill Trish, he's cute! And after Trish invited him in, they're totally doing it, aren't they?

He's a keeper, guy's got good instincts. He was totally right when he was seemingly paranoid about Malcolm watching Jessica! And it was so sweet that he wanted Trish to feel safe. Though who actually says shit like "I got your six"? I chuckled when Jessica repeated it mockingly.

Oh Jessica, why even bother to ask Jeri if her colleague is trustworthy? It's not like being a trustworthy person will stop Kilgrave from controlling him. Anyway, not sure Jeri is trustworthy, either. Looking at how much she likes the idea of using Kilgrave's power, seems to me she would be cool with working for Kilgrave if there's something in it for her.

It was so random that Jessica told those people she has 99 friends. I wanted to sing 99 Luftballons when she said that. Or maybe 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.

She does have one super-powered friend. But she couldn't say that because it would sound pathetic. Ah! I can't wait for her to make friends with Daredevil and Iron Fist, so she would have at least 3 super-friends.

• Love 3

The scene with Mrs Eastman was so funny and quite sad at the same time. Collateral damage creates more collateral damage when victims of such misdirect their anger and grief somewhere it doesn't belong.

Still, I giggled when Mr Eastman said: I want a divorce.

I'm wondering if Malcolm is high all the time to get Kilgrave's voice out of his head? Poor guy.

I was a little surprised Trish let the cop in. But I guess she knows about the 10-12 hours rule.

I kind of adore Jery's character even though he is a terrible person to go to that restaurant and her reaction to her wife being there was just awful. I think she is terribly pragmatic. She helps but only out of self-interest, certainly not out of the goodness of her heart. If she has one. The scene at the restaurant suggests otherwise.

• Love 2

A little bit surprising that the Eastman plot ended up almost be filler stuff, but I did find it interesting to see that some people actually would blame the Avengers for what happened in New York, and take it out on anyone with superpowers.  I suspect that would happen in real life, so I did enjoy it being addressed.  Plus, Jessica Hecht is always awesome.

There were a few signs and moments in this episode that made me think they were going somewhere big with Malcolm, but I was still sad when the ultimate reveal happened.  So, Kilgrave's gotten to him.  Poor Malcolm.  And poor Jessica.  No one close to her is safe.

I wonder where all this stuff with Hogarth and her divorce is going to end up playing.

Really enjoyed the stuff with Trish and the cop.  Maybe a bit too obvious if they plan on going down the romantic route (speculation, of course), but I do like the idea over them forming a shaky bond, after what happened.  Even though he obviously wasn't in control, I can understand why Trish is still nervous about looking into the face of the guy who strangled her.

Despite not appearing on screen, Luke still was featured a bit.  And I foolishly thought that this episode would be less creepy when I didn't see David Tennant's name in the credits, but then sure enough, Kilgrave apparently mind-controls an eight year old to be his messenger. That bastard.

The montage of Jessica interviewing the victims was good, because it was deliberately easy to tell who was faking it, but who was telling the truth.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Wow, so that was boring and nonsensical. Oh yeah, what we needed is some random lady to try and kill Jessica because... reasons. And Jessica info-dumping the viewers about her tragic past because... reasons (and because the writers were to lazy to do their job this episode? Too much coke, guys? Is always bad for business). And Jeri's divorce issues are real fascinating. Not.

Trish and the cop were the only one thing I likes in the entire episode. And I like Killgrave's victims support group thing, even though Jessica was a major ass to all of them.

ETA: Sorry, Jessica, I don't care about you junkie BFF (who you betrayed last episode, BTW).

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1

No! Malcolm! Ok, so I've been expecting someone close to her to snap and reveal mind control, but I'm still bummed about it anyway. I think creepy twin dude is probably being controlled too.

Which makes me wonder- how many can Kilgrave have under control at one time? It seems he needs to make contact with them regularly to keep it going. Can he do this via phone, video?

I'm kind of rooting for Trish and Cop Guy (does he have a name?) to be together. They're cute. Which means he'll probably die before the show is over.

I kept thinking of Jay-Z's 99 Problems but I like the other songs mentioned upthread too.

On to episode 5!

• Love 2

Which makes me wonder- how many can Kilgrave have under control at one time? It seems he needs to make contact with them regularly to keep it going. Can he do this via phone, video?

The next few episodes manage to answer that question nicely.

• Love 1

Wow, if he was as close as Malcolm he could have reacquired her anytime. So he's either doing it for shits and giggles, or he's a little wary.

I was just thinking before watching this one how over on Agents of SHIELD the public is supposedly losing their collective shit over enhanced humans and we haven't really seen that here yet.

Trish continues to be cool, I really want to meet her mom (who apparently blew a bunch of judges to win Trish a teen choice award?). Getting a flashback to her show would be even better.

My fanwank as to why we don't see Avengers Tower in the skyline is that since it presumably takes place after Age of Ultron where the team has relocated their base to upstate New York, Tony Stark took the tower down.

That tower was Stark Industries world headquarters before The Incident (which seems like a hilarious name for an alien invasion). It was also totally self-powered, one of the greenest buildings ever or something like that. Can't really see Stark demolishing it so the skyline thing always bugs.

So with Malcolm, was he an addict before he met Killgrave, or did Killgrave mess up his mind so bad he turned to drugs. I am thinking it's option 2.

When I watched it the first time I thought the acting of actress playing the client(who I mentioned before I'd seen of Friends) was kind of off. The line reading of "He'll ask for alimony but I'm not giving him shit" sounded phony but now we know that was intentional!

*ETA* Just remembered she is Ritter's fellow Breaking Bad alum as Walter White's ex girlfriend whom he famously said "F--k you." to!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

A little bit surprising that the Eastman plot ended up almost be filler stuff, but I did find it interesting to see that some people actually would blame the Avengers for what happened in New York, and take it out on anyone with superpowers.  I suspect that would happen in real life, so I did enjoy it being addressed.  Plus, Jessica Hecht is always awesome.

I always find it strange how people pick fights with people with superpowers. Always seems incredibly stupid. It was nice that Jessica reacted in a realistic manner without going all Magneto on the stupid bigoted humans. It was a basic "I'm not going to tolerate your shit, go away, I don't have time to deal with your particular nonsense right now". 

• Love 2

I just realized that the woman who plays the lawyer played Trinity in the Matrix. 

Loving this show. Except I wish they would show Hell's Kitchen rather than the Lower East Side. It's an affront to my neighborhood! 

• Love 1

none of the characters involved in the "incident" can appear on the show.

So this was the plot of one of the recent movies I haven't seen, I guess. But I know "the big green guy" is The Hulk. Is there a reason they can't say his name?

It seems like people sort of know about super heroes but are in denial that they exist. It reminds me of the later seasons of Buffy, where in theory the supernatural world is still secret from average people, but every other person they meet is like yeah, I already know about vampires and stuff. And it makes more sense than shows where everything resets to total secrecy after every episode.

Edited by LeGrandElephant

So this was the plot of one of the recent movies I haven't seen, I guess. But I know "the big green guy" is The Hulk. Is there a reason they can't say his name?

It seems like people sort of know about super heroes but are in denial that they exist. It reminds me of the later seasons of Buffy, where in theory the supernatural world is still secret from average people, but every other person they meet is like yeah, I already know about vampires and stuff. And it makes more sense than shows where everything resets to total secrecy after every episode.

"The incident" is the Battle of New York, from the first Avengers movie, where alien invaders were defeated by the Avengers, laying waste to large parts of the city. 

This is one of the minor annoyances with the show, because I wish they'd settle on a uniform way of talking about stuff that happens in their shared universe. I'm sure Daredevil had them call it the Battle of New York, but now Jessica only calls it "the incident". A minor bugbear. Though it could be explained by Jessica being reluctant to go along with the corny, heroic names and lables, which is why I think she avoids naming the Avengers in this episode.

The way I read the normal people in this universe dealing with superpowers is that there's a growing but uncomfortable realisation that they exist, and people would rather not talk about this stuff too much.

"The incident" is the Battle of New York, from the first Avengers movie, where alien invaders were defeated by the Avengers, laying waste to large parts of the city. 

This is one of the minor annoyances with the show, because I wish they'd settle on a uniform way of talking about stuff that happens in their shared universe. I'm sure Daredevil had them call it the Battle of New York, but now Jessica only calls it "the incident". A minor bugbear. Though it could be explained by Jessica being reluctant to go along with the corny, heroic names and lables, which is why I think she avoids naming the Avengers in this episode.

The way I read the normal people in this universe dealing with superpowers is that there's a growing but uncomfortable realisation that they exist, and people would rather not talk about this stuff too much.

If I remember correctly, in one of the early episodes of Daredevil when Matt and Foggy were searching for a new office, the real estate agent also referred to it as 'The Incident'.

I'm thinking it's how it was at the end of the Avengers. There was a faction of people with hero worship like the kids Jessica saw in the park dressed as Cap, and then there are those who think the superpowered are potentially dangerous. You'd refer to the "incident" depending on how you felt about those types of people (and how directly affected you were.) Plus, Jessica was a failed superhero so there might be a smidge of annoyance and resentment at those who succeeded. 

As for why no one says Captain America or Iron Man - I've got nothing. It's a mild annoyance.

• Love 1

I suspect they're trying to keep the Netflix shows as separate as they can while still having them in the same universe. I remember people complaining about AoS name-dropping Thor when he was never actually going to show up and when AoS was never going to influence the movies, and the Netflix shows have avoided that by barely referencing the films. It didn't bother me that Jessica didn't refer to the Avengers by name; she seemed disdainful of the whole superhero thing so it makes sense that she'd refer to them in a casual, dismissive way.

• Love 2

I get where you are coming from. To me "the incident" sounds too low key for a day where a hole opened in the sky and for the first time (at least in recorded history) aliens came out and attacked the city. Then again "The Battle of New York" sounds too dramatic and like something no New Yorker would ever say. There needs to be some middle ground term like "the attack" or something that I could buy people saying. Then again they showed the newspaper in Daredevil and the headline was "The Battle of New York". I would love to imagine what a real news paper headline would have looked like the day after the attack when aliens literally attacked the city but no one would really know exactly what happened. I imagine it would be something almost Onion like where in gigantic type it said "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT".

On 11/22/2015 at 7:16 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Trish continues to be cool, I really want to meet her mom (who apparently blew a bunch of judges to win Trish a teen choice award?). Getting a flashback to her show would be even better.

I really hope we got some kind of Robin Sparkles type flashback!

Poor Malcolm. One thing I like is that even when Jessica is exasperated with other people who are being controlled by Kilgrave, she doesn't blame them because she knows that they can't help it. It would have been easy for her to let the police officer who tried to kill her best friend jump off a building, but she exposed herself to Kilgrave in order to save that innocent life. Even though she was disappointed to find out that Malcolm was the one following her and taking pictures, I think she was more saddened than anything else.

As nice as it was for the police officer to sit outside of Trish's door and talk to her, I wonder how she could trust him enough to let him back inside her house. Or maybe trust isn't the right word. He just tried to kill her like, what, two days ago? How can she look at him and not have flashbacks?

Jeri is a real piece of work. At least her new girlfriend has enough pride not to want to set foot inside that restaurant after hearing that Jeri proposed to her wife there.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2015 at 2:30 PM, calliope1975 said:

As for why no one says Captain America or Iron Man - I've got nothing. It's a mild annoyance.

Rewatching the season and thinking about this, I am not sure anyone called Cap "Captain America" in Civil War. His friend call him Cap or Steve, and the media kept calling him Captain Steve Rogers. So thinking of that what would the general public call him in the modern world?

On 12/13/2015 at 3:20 PM, Cranberry said:

I suspect they're trying to keep the Netflix shows as separate as they can while still having them in the same universe. I remember people complaining about AoS name-dropping Thor when he was never actually going to show up and when AoS was never going to influence the movies, and the Netflix shows have avoided that by barely referencing the films. It didn't bother me that Jessica didn't refer to the Avengers by name; she seemed disdainful of the whole superhero thing so it makes sense that she'd refer to them in a casual, dismissive way.

I really think it's a legal thing. Remember, these are the lesser-known characters that Marvel was willing to let Netflix use because they weren't going to make movies about them. I remember reading an article once about Supergirl, and all the hoops they had to go through in order to get Superman to even appear on the show.

On 12/8/2015 at 9:07 PM, End Table said:

Loving this show. Except I wish they would show Hell's Kitchen rather than the Lower East Side. It's an affront to my neighborhood! 

I read that they they film in areas that still look like pre-gentrification Hell's Kitchen. They want to pretend Hell's Kitchen is still a gritty neighborhood, not a hip and happening neighborhood.

When I got a good look at that cop in the last episode, I KNEW he was way too good-looking to be just a one-off character we never see again. What is it with Australia and producing such strapping men?

• Love 1