Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Janelle had some sort of bookkeeping job and Meri worked with "at risk youth" but was fired when their dick-sharing lifestyle hit the TV screens. Typically eople with no degrees who work with at risk youth are volunteers or earn next to nothing. Janelle's earnings seemed to be on par with Kody's, so his job in "advertising" was probably not that great.

Plus Meri probably volunteered so she wouldn't have to watch  Janelle's kids!

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

Thanks Galloway Cave, so was it the work with at risk kids that she left when the show came out?

Yes, and as @Kohola3 said, she left on her own accord, not because of backlash from being a plyg. The family had been out and activists for years before the show; if the plyginess was a problem she would have never been hired in the first place.

There was talk about how the facility was concerned about filming Meri at work. I can see Meri walking away to devote herself to the show. She never was very attached to any of her jobs.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

6034E027-11CA-4E42-9D72-80CC785C0A6E.jpeg

This ^^^ is the most reasonable rationale I have heard from Janelle for not moving.  She actually is accomplishing something here, forming an important bond of Gma/grandbaby.

• Love 17

How many freaking times do we have to hear about how much Janelle loathes vegetables unless they're "interesting?"  Shut up already, we get it, you won't eat your broccoli unless it's been coated in peanut butter and boiled in bacon grease.

(waits patiently for Mahamid to get to work on Janelle's latest deep thoughts...........)

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

And now it's back to the blah blah blah.  Canned cabbage???

10 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

How many freaking times do we have to hear about how much Janelle loathes vegetables unless they're "interesting?"  Shut up already, we get it, you won't eat your broccoli unless it's been coated in peanut butter and boiled in bacon grease.

(waits patiently for Mahamid to get to work on Janelle's latest deep thoughts...........)

I'm not sure I could even eat canned cabbage - this just sounds so disgusting.  She does realize that breading and deep frying vegetables negates their health benefits right?  Right?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I know, right?  I would think canned cabbage would be slimy, stinky, and cause massive bloating - and she fed an entire can to her grandchild.

But! But!  Breading and deep-frying vegetables makes them interesting!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Yes, and as @Kohola3 said, she left on her own accord, not because of backlash from being a plyg. The family had been out and activists for years before the show; if the plyginess was a problem she would have never been hired in the first place.

There was talk about how the facility was concerned about filming Meri at work. I can see Meri walking away to devote herself to the show. She never was very attached to any of her jobs.

Meri said she was fired for being a plyg.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

OK, I was wrong on the firing. But from the article, it sounds like she was fired for the TV show, not necessarily because she is a plyg. In fact, she says that the company knew she was plyg and they never had any problems with it. 

Who knows, really. These people spin everythingk into persecution or revise history when ever they feel like it!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

(...)

I myself am sitting at the airfield waiting for Mahamid's comedic plane to land...

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

OK, I was wrong on the firing. But from the article, it sounds like she was fired for the TV show, not necessarily because she is a plyg. In fact, she says that the company knew she was plyg and they never had any problems with it. 

Who knows, really. These people spin everythingk into persecution or revise history when ever they feel like it!

But think about it this way - if the SHOW hadn't been about polygamy, they probably wouldn't have fired her.  People on "Trading Spaces" or "Chopped" don't get fired.  LOL.  And if it hadn't been for the polygamy, there wouldn't have been a show.  I mean, really, who wants to watch TV show about a middle-aged women with orange makeup and a brown tooth who sells REALLY ugly, poorly made clothing?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

It fit with the "forced exodus" from Utah narrative they were playing up at the time.

Robyn, of course had to chime in with her 2 cents worth "as if she had been there from the beginning". 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

But think about it this way - if the SHOW hadn't been about polygamy, they probably wouldn't have fired her.  People on "Trading Spaces" or "Chopped" don't get fired.

I think it was more about having cameras all over the place.  I certainly wouldn't allow that in my place of business even if the show was about bad clothing, bad joorey, or bad hair.  No matter what the subject matter I wouldn't allow it.  And who knows what TLC was demanding back then.  They followed Janelle into that pseudo -gym she attended and they've been filmed in restaurants and shops as well.  So disruptive to everyone.

But I can see them spinning it to add to the persecution story line.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Here you go, I don't want my snarky posts to get too much for our friends out here to read

image.png.90f8de7ed5bc1b77e03c78cbb620de9b.png

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Is canned cabbage similar to sauerkraut? 

Good question... I use sauerkraut when I make cabbage rolls... Just a bit of sauerkraut added to the tomato sauce that the cabbage rolls cook in.

I can't imagine a baby eating a whole jar of it.... Yuck!... 

There's 460 MG of sodium in that can of cabbage

Even if canned cabbage isn't like sauerkraut why would you feed it to a baby?

Edited by Joan of Argh
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Because it's a vegetable ergo it's good for you.  And apparently she's from the school of "if one is good, two is better" so the kid chows down on as much as he wants.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

There's 460 MG of sodium in that can of cabbage

And yet she thinks canned vegetables have gotten better.  What was she serving before - a couple kernels of corn stuck to a salt lick?

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Canned cabbage???

It's "seasoned cabbage" 😉.  How lazy do you have to be that you cannot sprinkle some herbs & spices (and a lot less salt) on cabbage?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, deirdra said:

It's "seasoned cabbage" 😉.  How lazy do you have to be that you cannot sprinkle some herbs & spices on cabbage?

Exactly... If I'm going to have cabbage I'd much rather shred some fresh cabbage and stir-fry it with some seasoning and that way you can control the sodium etc.

Canned mucky cabbage just sounds so gross.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

@Mahamid Frauded Me, another great installment!  Thank you for enlivening Janelle's posts and making them 1000 times better. 

Canned cabbage?  I wasn't even aware there was such a thing.  It sounds horrible, @Joan of Argh, I agree, gross and soggy.  Ugh.  Janelle is so lazy.  I'm lazy and old, and she makes me look good, in comparison.

I just don't understand Janelle or her thought process other than as you said....

She's so lazy that handing Axel a can of cabbage was the easiest thing so that's what she did.

Cabbage is so gassy and harsh for a toddler to digest...poor little guy probably had a nuclear explosion in his pants.

• Love 3

I would guess the canned cabbage is stewed cabbage, not sauerkraut.

Before they came out as polygamists, I think they each said they were married, but didn’t mention the other wives/schedule. I don’t how that works unless you aren’t social at all. What if Kody goes to the work Christmas party with Janelle and then is seen by a coworker at the grocery store with Christine the next day?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Before they came out as polygamists, I think they each said they were married, but didn’t mention the other wives/schedule. I don’t how that works unless you aren’t social at all. What if Kody goes to the work Christmas party with Janelle and then is seen by a coworker at the grocery store with Christine the next day?

In Lehi, no one would have blinked an eye.  In LV, he would have been given a wink and a high five.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

@Sandy W is right in Lehi no one would’ve blinked any eye.

Also it’s not as weird as people would think. How many men have mistresses and “side families” and everyone knows about it. Usually though the mistress doesn’t move in the same social circle as the wife but everyone knows where the husband is when he’s not with a certain woman and her brood. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Before they came out as polygamists, I think they each said they were married, but didn’t mention the other wives/schedule. 

I don't know about the wives but Kootie would walk up to total strangers, pound his chest and bray "I HAVE FOUR WIVES" any times they were in public.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Is canned cabbage similar to sauerkraut? 

This is just seasoned with spices and monosodium glutamate.  I bet the MSG is what makes it taste so good.

Sauerkraut is pickled.  I have always like just plain boiled cabbage, slaw, and sauerkraut.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm not sure I could even eat canned cabbage - this just sounds so disgusting.  She does realize that breading and deep frying vegetables negates their health benefits right?  Right?

This brand of canned cabbage is really good and a requested item at the food bank where I volunteer. I am in North Carolina, so maybe it is a regional thing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

We made sauerkraut when I was a kid. It was barrel cured and considered a raw food. It was easy to make as a way to preserve excess heads of cabbage. We never “canned” it, that would destroy the benefits of the raw food. It kept for quite a while. 

It was salty, but came with the benefits of natural probiotics before probiotics were a “thing”. 

Janelle probably hasn’t “discovered” this yet, even though this method has been around for a long, long time in many cultures across the globe  

• Useful 3

I'm glad that Janelle got time with her precious grandchild, but, I have trouble getting how she is so wary of fruits and vegetables. It's just so bizarre.  I guess that I was fortunate, in that I grew up with a mom who prepared a sit down meal practically every night, with a protein, vegetable or two and a starch.  Deserts weren't that common. except on the weekends or holidays.    And they were so good.  Maybe, Janelle's mother wasn't a good cook.  That's all I can figure, but, I've never been a picky eater.  I love the pure taste of the food without a lot of grease, flour, salt or sugar. 

• Love 5

Sauerkraut is fermented, I believe.  I have recently discovered some in the refrigerated section with only two ingredients.  Cabbage and salt.  290 milligrams of sodium in a quarter cup serving.  I have found it helps my GERD substantially.  I think canned seasoned cabbage is another thing, not fermented.  As in cabbage rolls.  I was raised by a depressed mother who didn't like to cook and didn't like to eat the food my father and the kids liked.  There was always enough but it was very plain - usually starting with red meat - seasonings of choice salt and garlic powder - and a can of vegetables, drained, can on the table.  So maybe Janelle is channeling her upbringing.  I don't think Axel is going to have some dramatic dietary challenges long term by the can of cabbage.  And who knows, maybe it will prime his gut for other things.  Some of us would probably be horrified by what others of us eat and call good.  Oh, and I have dispensed with canned vegetables except for peas (also use frozen ones, but they are different) and don't put cans of anything on the table!  I am not a lover of these people at all, but, at least Janelle got the snuggling right.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm glad that Janelle got time with her precious grandchild, but, I have trouble getting how she is so wary of fruits and vegetables. It's just so bizarre.  I guess that I was fortunate, in that I grew up with a mom who prepared a sit down meal practically every night, with a protein, vegetable or two and a starch.  Deserts weren't that common. except on the weekends or holidays.    And they were so good.  Maybe, Janelle's mother wasn't a good cook.  That's all I can figure, but, I've never been a picky eater.  I love the pure taste of the food without a lot of grease, flour, salt or sugar. 

Maybe it's as simple as that, her upbringing. We grew up with a garden and I ate things right out of it with dirt still on. Regardless of upbringing, education and training can change all that. She seems "stuck" as if her brain isn't really open to learning about food. All those posts about new "discoveries" mixed with all the weird ones, just, not her schtick. 

5 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Sauerkraut is fermented, I believe.  I have recently discovered some in the refrigerated section with only two ingredients.  Cabbage and salt.  290 milligrams of sodium in a quarter cup serving.  I have found it helps my GERD substantially.  I think canned seasoned cabbage is another thing, not fermented.  As in cabbage rolls.  I was raised by a depressed mother who didn't like to cook and didn't like to eat the food my father and the kids liked.  There was always enough but it was very plain - usually starting with red meat - seasonings of choice salt and garlic powder - and a can of vegetables, drained, can on the table.  So maybe Janelle is channeling her upbringing.  I don't think Axel is going to have some dramatic dietary challenges long term by the can of cabbage.  And who knows, maybe it will prime his gut for other things.  Some of us would probably be horrified by what others of us eat and call good.  Oh, and I have dispensed with canned vegetables except for peas (also use frozen ones, but they are different) and don't put cans of anything on the table!  I am not a lover of these people at all, but, at least Janelle got the snuggling right.

Yes, we made it when i was a kid before it ever was a "thing". It was just a way to preserve the cabbage and get the benefit of probiotics. I ate it all the time and love barrel-cured cabbage to this day whenever it's kim chi or plain ol kraut. 

• Love 4

Liking canned goods over fresh is most likely just a learned taste.  If you grow up with canned something something then your taste buds become accustomed to that taste. Fresh green beans were a short window in my childhood so we ate a LOT of home canned green beans.  I now stagger my beans in my garden to get as many harvests and meals of fresh but I freeze a LOT (I used to can a lot, but not so much anymore).  However...I still love and buy canned green beans because it's one of those "comfort" foods I grew up on.

Cabbage is a tricky one.  Many people just cook it wrong and so they think it's a "yucky" vegetable.  Sauteed cabbage is really sweet and delicious if you know the #1 rule of sauteed cabbage.  Never. Ever. let it touch water.  Chopped fresh cabbage sauteed in a little fat of choice (my bacon fat/butter/olive oil mix is my fave).  Zero salt is needed in my opinion. Better yet, saute some onions until very soft and all the moisture is gone and add cabbage to that (the beginning of a delicious dish called Haluski). 

Don't train the little one on eating cabbage with a very high salt content (as mentioned above), then the "real" thing won't ever really taste right (most likely Janelle's adult issue with all vegetables).  Train him with good old home cooked veggies instead. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Sauerkraut is fermented, I believe.  I have recently discovered some in the refrigerated section with only two ingredients.  Cabbage and salt.  290 milligrams of sodium in a quarter cup serving.  

Same here.  That is the only non-fresh cabbage I buy because it is cheaper and less messy than making it myself.

I use fresh cabbage sliced into "noodles" for Alfredo and Lasagna type dishes, and chunks (even the stems) in stews, all made from scratch with minimal effort.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Janelle has borrowed a hashtag from Meri.

26CD0725-40AB-48B0-B2ED-E0E26A890487.jpeg

B810F42F-103B-4668-A2C0-9B4A1AC99A92.jpeg

Poor little Axel was trying to think of some way to relieve the gas built up in his stomach from consuming a whole can of canned cabbage.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Maybe it's as simple as that, her upbringing. We grew up with a garden and I ate things right out of it with dirt still on. Regardless of upbringing, education and training can change all that. She seems "stuck" as if her brain isn't really open to learning about food. All those posts about new "discoveries" mixed with all the weird ones, just, not her schtick. 

This could be true, but she's got Logan and Michelle posting photos of the amazing meals they cook - you would think that Janelle could look to them as an example of how not to be afraid of any food that grows in the dirt.  And surely her $6,000 "Strive" health-coach online classes briefly tossed a mention or two about how vegetables are good for you?  She's so odd.

Also, why did she feel the need to apologize for Axel's hair in the photo?  No one wakes up from sleep with camera-ready hair, including toddlers.  Why did she have to tell us that his head sweats?  She's.  SO.  ODD.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Janelle has borrowed a hashtag from Meri.

26CD0725-40AB-48B0-B2ED-E0E26A890487.jpeg

B810F42F-103B-4668-A2C0-9B4A1AC99A92.jpeg

Maybe I'm weird but the first thing I do when I sit down with my morning tea, coffee or whatever is open the blinds.

It just looks so depressing and dull to sit in a room with curtains or blinds pulled shut... Would drive me nuts.

I love watching the birds, we also have squirrels scurrying about and the leaves are moving in the breeze.. People going by... I want to grab that blind and open it!  😀

• Love 13

Someone on another message board I used to post on said they worked with Meri.  They said she pretty much kept to herself and was nice but the tv show or their announcement which led to the show was causing a ruckus at the business.  Between people calling in regards to the show and lookyloos outside the business and Meri would either have to film there causing more disturbance or take time off.  I don’t know how much or this is true.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2