Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Liking canned goods over fresh is most likely just a learned taste.  If you grow up with canned something something then your taste buds become accustomed to that taste. Fresh green beans were a short window in my childhood so we ate a LOT of home canned green beans.  I now stagger my beans in my garden to get as many harvests and meals of fresh but I freeze a LOT (I used to can a lot, but not so much anymore).  However...I still love and buy canned green beans because it's one of those "comfort" foods I grew up on.

See, I contend that the reason people hate a lot of vegetables is because they were only exposed to the canned version.  I always thought I hated asparagus because growing up, our school lunch program only served nasty, slimy canned asparagus.  As an adult, I was served something with cooked crunchy sliced up green stuff and did not even realize it was asparagus.  Turns out I love the stuff!  Same with my husband.  He thought green beans were those olive drab things served in the dorm cafeteria and he hated them.  I gave him steamed green beans and he loves them.  Maybe that is Janelle's problem she tries "interesting" vegetables (probably with a glaze of some sort) and has not figured out that she might actually like the plain vegetable if it were cooked properly.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

See, I contend that the reason people hate a lot of vegetables is because they were only exposed to the canned version.  I always thought I hated asparagus because growing up, our school lunch program only served nasty, slimy canned asparagus.  As an adult, I was served something with cooked crunchy sliced up green stuff and did not even realize it was asparagus.  Turns out I love the stuff!  Same with my husband.  He thought green beans were those olive drab things served in the dorm cafeteria and he hated them.  I gave him steamed green beans and he loves them.  Maybe that is Janelle's problem she tries "interesting" vegetables (probably with a glaze of some sort) and has not figured out that she might actually like the plain vegetable if it were cooked properly.

Totally agree... Growing up we ate a lot of canned veggies or boiled veggies... Blech

Hubby came from a family that sautéed asparagus with garlic, stir-fried green beans with garlic and other seasonings and I couldn't believe how yummy, crunchy and brightly colored everything was.

Our kids were raised on hubbies method and they all love veggies.

I have a recipe for grilled salmon with sautéed cabbage and it's so delicious I almost drool just thinking about it.

Janelle looks like someone raised on cans and boiled.... Her complexion is terrible.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, neh said:

This brand of canned cabbage is really good and a requested item at the food bank where I volunteer. I am in North Carolina, so maybe it is a regional thing.

I think all their products are produced in South Carolina.   I have a can of collards that I bought in case I needed them for New Year's Day, but I got lucky and didn't need to use them.   They are carried by Walmart, so she can buy it in Flagstaff.

10 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Maybe it's as simple as that, her upbringing. We grew up with a garden and I ate things right out of it with dirt still on. Regardless of upbringing, education and training can change all that. She seems "stuck" as if her brain isn't really open to learning about food.

We always raised our own tomatoes in our little part of suburbia.  A few years we grew corn, and sometimes strawberries.  My mom would go to the farmers' markets every Saturday for fresh fruits and veggies.  There was a woman who came in from the country a few days a week with fresh items as well including eggs and butter.  We had milk delivered in glass bottles.  I go to the farmers' markets once or twice a week in summer,  and every other week in the fall and winter.  Having written this I have a strange desire for some Silver Queen corn and peaches and blackberries.   I will have to wait...

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

8E891838-9229-4D39-8735-C41995FAE5B2.jpeg

Maybe give Janelle a pass on indulging herself while in NC, I'm sure she'll be back to her routine of healthy, nourishing meals as soon as she gets home.  😕

• LOL 20
  • Love 3

Sweet Tea?  Bet it's just filled with sugar.  Might as well drink regular soda.

The whole thing sounds like a carb nightmare.  Then again, is this different than any other day in the Strife Life?  MFM, are you gearing up for another great post, maybe after tomorrow's "inspiration?"  Please say yes 🙂

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Sweet Tea?  Bet it's just filled with sugar.  Might as well drink regular soda.

The whole thing sounds like a carb nightmare.  Then again, is this different than any other day in the Strife Life?  MFM, are you gearing up for another great post, maybe after tomorrow's "inspiration?"  Please say yes 🙂

That looks like a quart bottle of sweet tea.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she picked up a meal for herself, Caleb and Maddie if she's home now.  Axel has by now blown out his diaper from Grammy's fine meal of canned cabbage and he's ready for another dining experience of BBQ and banana pudding.

• LOL 2
11 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

...and he's ready for another dining experience of BBQ and banana pudding.

Or as my southern relatives call it, "nanner pudding."  YUM!

I don't begrudge Janelle a meal of local specialties when she's on vacation, but I'm sure she'll soon be posting yet again bemoaning how hard it is to get back into a routine.  

Edited by LilWharveyGal
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I don't begrudge Janelle a meal of local specialties when she's on vacation, but I'm sure she'll soon be posting yet again bemoaning how hard it is to get back into a routine.  

Totally agree with this.  I don't mind the indulgence. It's almost required to purchase that meal in Eastern NC (gallon sweet tea included).

When she gets home, she'll give herself three more days to adjust and then she'll move one more step.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

That looks like a quart bottle of sweet tea.  I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she picked up a meal for herself, Caleb and Maddie if she's home now

I think it is a half gallon of tea, and I think it is just her meal.   That's about what it looks like if I get a plate to go, and I can usually get 2-3 meals out of it.  I love sweet tea, but it certainly is a lot of empty calories.   I often mix it with lemonade.  I think the little bag may have plastic utensils and napkins. Also I make a great banana pudding so we usually skip that.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I think it is a half gallon of tea, and I think it is just her meal.   That's about what it looks like if I get a plate to go, and I can usually get 2-3 meals out of it.  I love sweet tea, but it certainly is a lot of empty calories.   I often mix it with lemonade.  I think the little bag may have plastic utensils and napkins. Also I make a great banana pudding so we usually skip that.

Does Janelle or Axel eat any foods containing protein?

• LOL 3
10 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

It looks like she has 2 of the main course bbq because there's 2 styrofoam containers stacked on top of each other.

You are correct!!   I see that now.   I didn't look that closely.  It still looks like a half gallon of tea.  The red cap on it makes me wonder if it is Milo's which is very good tea.

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 11:47 AM, Roslyn said:

Liking canned goods over fresh is most likely just a learned taste.  If you grow up with canned something something then your taste buds become accustomed to that taste. Fresh green beans were a short window in my childhood so we ate a LOT of home canned green beans.  I now stagger my beans in my garden to get as many harvests and meals of fresh but I freeze a LOT (I used to can a lot, but not so much anymore).  However...I still love and buy canned green beans because it's one of those "comfort" foods I grew up on.

Cabbage is a tricky one.  Many people just cook it wrong and so they think it's a "yucky" vegetable.  Sauteed cabbage is really sweet and delicious if you know the #1 rule of sauteed cabbage.  Never. Ever. let it touch water.  Chopped fresh cabbage sauteed in a little fat of choice (my bacon fat/butter/olive oil mix is my fave).  Zero salt is needed in my opinion. Better yet, saute some onions until very soft and all the moisture is gone and add cabbage to that (the beginning of a delicious dish called Haluski). 

Don't train the little one on eating cabbage with a very high salt content (as mentioned above), then the "real" thing won't ever really taste right (most likely Janelle's adult issue with all vegetables).  Train him with good old home cooked veggies instead. 

I grew up eating both.  So I can eat either fresh, canned or frozen.  I remember having a garden from a very young age., at a time when it was necessary.  Vaguely remember having chickens.  I fed my daughter the same way.  The only thing she wont eat is greens with the exception of spinach.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Totally agree with this.  I don't mind the indulgence. It's almost required to purchase that meal in Eastern NC (gallon sweet tea included).

When she gets home, she'll give herself three more days to adjust and then she'll move one more step.

The only problem I have with Janelle's meal is that is most likely comes with Eastern Carolina bbq.  Everyone knows that the Western style is so much better!  Hmmm, those are fight'n words..😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, neh said:

The only problem I have with Janelle's meal is that is most likely comes with Eastern Carolina bbq.  Everyone knows that the Western style is so much better!  Hmmm, those are fight'n words..😉

Hahahahaha hahahahaha!!!!! My husband and I are from the western part of NC. He actually had a “Lexington style” bbq restaurant in Greenville for a while. I like to think he got some converts. I like all bbq sauce, even the mustard based one from SC.

I actually went to Sam Jones BBQ last night and read Janelle’s post about going to Skylight while I was in the drive thru lane. Drive thru lane was wrapped around the building, of course. Sam Jones is the son of the late Pete Jones who opened Skylight, so I was essentially at a sister location. 

I went to Sam Jones because we are getting ready to move back to the Lexington style part of the state. I miss bbq slaw!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Hahahahaha hahahahaha!!!!! My husband and I are from the western part of NC. He actually had a “Lexington style” bbq restaurant in Greenville for a while. I like to think he got some converts. I like all bbq sauce, even the mustard based one from SC.

I actually went to Sam Jones BBQ last night and read Janelle’s post about going to Skylight while I was in the drive thru lane. Drive thru lane was wrapped around the building, of course. Sam Jones is the son of the late Pete Jones who opened Skylight, so I was essentially at a sister location. 

I went to Sam Jones because we are getting ready to move back to the Lexington style part of the state. I miss bbq slaw!!

Right on, Mollie!!!! I hope Janelle put the slaw on the bbq. Seems like Janelle has been "striving" to hit the local delicacies - Waffle House and bbq.

Edited by neh
Stupid spellcheck
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, neh said:

NO!  Eastern Carolina is the best.

Edited by Higgins
8 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I think it is great that Janelle is eating regional food.    I have no idea what passes for bbq in Flagstaff.

I like all kinds of BBQ, but I will say the first time I was served slaw on my pulled pork sandwich I was shocked.  I think I was probably 6 or 7, and I didn't like any of my food touching other food ( the exception was it was okay for bread to touch food in a sandwich, but I definitely wanted the slaw on the side).  So I removed the offending slaw, but I couldn't get all the slaw off.  I finally decided I had to eat the sandwich as it was,  decided the slaw on top wasn't all that bad and returned it back to the sandwich.   I am sure my parents were horrified.

We used to eat at Bullock's BBQ in Durham when visiting our daughter at Duke. 

I also like BBQ chicken and central Texas bbq.  

Now I am hungry, and I just ate breakfast.   Nothing like the power of suggestion to get the old tummy a rumblin'

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Higgins said:

NO!  Eastern Carolina is the best.

Oh, no, Higgins, you didn't go there!  I am convinced that the  Hatfield and McCoy feud was really over bbq sauce.

I wonder what what side Janelle would be on?

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

That's the only routine thing about Janelle. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, neh said:

Oh, no, Higgins, you didn't go there!  I am convinced that the  Hatfield and McCoy feud was really over bbq sauce.

She'd have to taste both - multiple times - and still wouldn't make a decision.  She'd just post about how hard it is to get to the restaurants, decide what to have, etc.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, neh said:

No sweetness in my BBQ....ever!!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

She'd have to taste both - multiple times - and still wouldn't make a decision.  She'd just post about how hard it is to get to the restaurants, decide what to have, etc.

She could nurse the topic along for numerous blogs.  What's YOUR favorite BBQ recipe?  How do you feel after eating BBQ?  Do you use a napkin or lick fingers?  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

"my culture at home changed ever so slightly".  Therein lies her problem.  Bigger changes are necessary, don't just add "healthy" foods to whatever you've always been eating.

She looked happier, healthier and at least 20 lbs thinner in 2013.  Maybe she liked the sound of lordosis and decided she didn't want to lose it.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Twopper said:

I didn't like any of my food touching other food ( the exception was it was okay for bread to touch food in a sandwich, but I definitely wanted the slaw on the side

Oh my goodness that's so funny... My hairdresser that I've gone to for many years told me that she can't stand her food touching other food and that it's a real problem when she eats out.

She always has to tell the waitress to put things on separate plates etc... Also just like you she has some exceptions where certain types of food can touch other food.

I'd never heard of such a thing and always thought she must be the only person with this problem.

I can't wait till my next appointment so I can share your story.  ❤👍

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Joan of Argh said:

I can't wait till my next appointment so I can share your story.  ❤👍

I am not that way anymore.   Well, maybe just a little.  Okay, more than a little but not all the time.    I am still picky about some things.  We grew up eating fairly formally at dinner--bread plates, soup bowls and spoons, silver napkin rings, cloth napkins, etc.    That solved one of my major food peeves--- having bread on a plate where there is something liquid that might run into the bread.   I will take bread off the plate and place it on a napkin if there is any danger of my bread getting the least bit damp.   Cranberry sauce can touch turkey or chicken and the stuffing.  I do not want it near the sweet potatoes, but it is okay next to mashed potatoes.  The meat and 3 restaurants tend to serve their meals in divided plates so that usually works out okay.    I love chicken curry, and I have no problems mixing all the condiments into the chicken and rice;  except I am allergic to peanuts so we don't use those at home.   I am making ratatouille tomorrow to go with a pork loin.   I have no trouble mixing the veggies together to make the ratatouille, but I don't want it to touch the pork on the plate.   I do allow foods to co-exist on my plate most of the time.   It helps that I prepare and plate most of the meals we eat at home.

Let me know what your hair dresser thinks. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

There is a picture on the Briney family (formerly of seeing sister wife) facebook page of two of the little boys and they look like Solomon and Axel.  I wonder if the Brown's are somehow related to the Brineys. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Is this a serious post?  She's been "getting serious" since 2013?  Has she changed anything in the past six years?

Clean eating?   WTF?   is that supposed to mean healthy eating?  or is it supposed to mean only organic?  or that she eats on a clean table instead of on a messy tv tray?  Her "culture at home" changed "ever so slightly."    Is this supposed to mean that her food choices gradually changed?   Sheeesh.     I don't think we need to worry about her having a career as a writer any time soon so grift on, Janelle, grift on.

17 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Oh my gawd... That post is a literal SMORGASBORD for MFM.   😂

I can't wait for the spoof on that post.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Let me know what your hair dresser thinks. 

I will.. You sound exactly like her when she describes her plates and exactly which foods can touch each other and the reasoning behind it all. ❤

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Damn you all, I just made a grocery list for banana pudding ingredients! 

Count me in the food can’t touch camp! Of course I can eat things mixed like casseroles, etc. But I had an aunt who would mix meat, veggies, and potatoes all together and then eat it with no teeth. Yep, scared for life! Mr. E knows to separate anything that’s going to be runny. 

Janelle is definitely thinner than when the show started. I’ve been watching the first season, and she was huge. She looked good in ‘13, but seemed to gain it back mostly in her stomach. Interestingly enough, she did always have the thinnest kids. But Christine fed them, so who knows. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Ready?

08F40E7C-9E69-4D13-84F6-120C11AF6CA5.jpeg

"Some I don't know if I knew" should be Janelle's life motto.

Seriously, how many times is she going to get all twitterpatted over the importance of breathing?

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Did she have her ah-ha moment to blame cortisol was the reason she is overweight ?

Not out loud 😂

Here’s one of her responses on that post:

054CF1F7-16B6-4F47-B0F9-A8B155DEBB07.jpeg

As a certified whatever she is, she should know the difference between cravings and hunger and how to handle them. 

• Love 5

Not out loud 😂

As a certified whatever she is, she should know the difference between cravings and hunger and how to handle them. 

Um, no. Then it would be her own fault she hasn’t lost weight, instead of that pesky cortisol 😉

Seriously, what is the point of her whole Strive BS?! What is her role supposed to be? Throwing up some facts or “facts” doesn’t do anything. Is she supposed to be the expert or leader? How about posting something more like, “if you feel like your body is working against you, sometimes it is. Not getting enough sleep raises your cortisol levels, which makes is harder to lose weight. Here are some tips for getting eight hours of sleep.......”

• Love 5

Not out loud 😂

I suspect Katharine Shaw wishes Janelle had a marker that was more opaque than LulaNo leggings.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

On the preview for next week on SW, they showed a scene of Janelle standing in one of her mostly empty rooms and getting ready to actually leave LV. I'm not saying this to be mean, but honestly she looks bigger than she has ever looked - and why would people follow someone for healthier living advice/weight loss when they are what looks to be their heaviest (at least since the show started and what we've seen)????

• Love 7
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Besides the fact that we actually need cortisol, Janelle is apparently in search of excuses, yet again.

That's so funny!!!! Oh dear, now that is some dumb shit right there. Janelle, take a human A&P class.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

"Some I don't know if I knew" should be Janelle's life motto.

Seriously, how many times is she going to get all twitterpatted over the importance of breathing?

She's a certifiable idiot. Just when it seems she cannot possibly become any more stupid, she does. 

She must have zero perception of how stupid she comes across when she posts this stuff. It's laughable.........like, really? She doesn't see how idiotic she looks? Imagine if Kody's drafting professional gave him a crayon sketch of the house he wants. That's how Janelle appears every time she posts something about health or wellness. Fucking idiot. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9