Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

Overton reminds me of those stories you hear about the deranged women who pretend they're pregnant and then murder an expectant mother to steal the baby.

Meri didn't even seem interested that much in "Sam" if you check out the DMs. 33% of the messages from Meri where "oh, Samuel" or smiles. It's like a courtship from 1867. Hell, the Dowager Countess's romance with the Russian dude on Downton Abbey was steamier.

• Love 15

<p>

Thanks for letting us know.

This blog is too much:

• I have owned a house in Las Vegas for 8 years. Long before Meri moved to Vegas. So no I am not the reason they moved to Vegas. That rumor is ridiculous. (No such rumor existed.)
  • And what has happened to me now is that because of the false story Meri told the entire world, not only have I lost clients, I have lost deals. I have lost money and I’m still losing money. It’s bad. On top of which, my employees are pissed. (Yeah, right.)
  • If something ever comes out we will blame Janelle. (Oh my.)

The having lived in Vegas for 8 yrs and not being the reason the Browns moved makes no sense, and not just because nobody every said that, but also, it proves nothing... In fact by that logic that Sam was there first would actually prove the opposite that perhaps they did move because of him. (Just to be clear I do not on any level think Sam had anything to do with the move to Vegas).

On a slightly sadistic level I kinda wish this hadn't been leaked yet and that Robyn and Kody would have named the new baby Samuel, then Kody could be reminded daily that Meri sought out someone else.

• Love 2

I was just thinking, does anyone remember what brought this to the public? I remember being rumored, but it really kinda blew up a week or 2 ago, I thought because "Sam" went public... So what is he/she talking about Meri ruined his/her life and lost business deals and all that bs? But I don't know if I'm right that Sam went public, does anyone else remember?

was looking on this site http://fotoforensics.com/ 

and uploaded the fake-dude catfish pic, still reading about how to interpret the results. When you upload the pic, there is a left hand column that has all kinds of stuff you can do, make the guy be on the other side of the photo, mess with color, look at metadata- and try to figure out if that metadata is part of the original photo or a photo of a photo , anyway, here's what I got, you can get on there if you think you have a 'sam' pic downloaded from the batman site or the FB and upload and see what you get.

direct link to catfish photo and more metadata, maybe someone who knows about this stuff can make sense of it.  For anyone trying a site like this: It would be helpful to get the original, not sure if this is it, Meri might have it, and then maybe other things this JO person has posted on whatever sites, FB, flicker accounts etc and see if any of the technical stuff matches

http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=86e64dee4f8e0873bc2806930276bd890e45e81b.27851&show=digest

http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=86e64dee4f8e0873bc2806930276bd890e45e81b.27851&show=meta

http://fotoforensics.com/analysis.php?id=86e64dee4f8e0873bc2806930276bd890e45e81b.27851&show=orig

metadata file and photoshop 'sono'

2j0mom0.jpg

21cfpqa.jpg

Edited by BlackWidow

I was just thinking, does anyone remember what brought this to the public? I remember being rumored, but it really kinda blew up a week or 2 ago, I thought because "Sam" went public... So what is he/she talking about Meri ruined his/her life and lost business deals and all that bs? But I don't know if I'm right that Sam went public, does anyone else remember?

I think it started with Overton's previous victim outing the story. Seems that allaboutthetea.com is the only site really covering the story.

I have no interest in reading those DMs, nor listening to the voicemails that were posted. I am not really enjoying the front row seat to someone's public humiliation and despair.

I wish I could go back to making fun of Kody's receding hairline and douchey clothes...this is all getting too real.

Edited because autocorrect messed up again

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 6

I think it started with Overton's previous victim outing the story. Seems that allaboutthetea.com is the only site really covering the story.

Thanks! That statement "Sam" made about her ruining his deals confused me because I though he/she (I really don't know how to refer to this person!!) outed themselves, but that makes more sense.

On a slightly sadistic level I kinda wish this hadn't been leaked yet and that Robyn and Kody would have named the new baby Samuel, then Kody could be reminded daily that Meri sought out someone else.

They're so stupid they could name a son Samuel, then be gobsmacked when someone pointed it out.

• Love 2

I have to admit I've been reading with fascination. I can easily see how most of this stuff in the DMs and texts could be exactly what went down -- the neediness and insecurity, the belief she doesn't deserve love, the fear of disrupting the family life. This catfish knew exactly what to do and say to reel her in so quickly -- which was sadly sadly very little -- just bombard her with the idea that she's special and appealing and uniquely loved. It's so sad. 

I thought it was especially interesting that there was the one line "Sam" included in the DMs that seemed to obliquely refer to wanting a lesbian relationship in a very roundabout way. "I worried that you beloved [sic] in only man and woman marriages or stay with the same." There seemed to clearly be some text edited/missing from that conversation as it came out of nowhere and it went unacknowledged by Meri in what was posted.

What I'm having a harder time wrapping my head around is the idea that this supposedly lasted for six months without Meri ever seeing this guy in the actual flesh. And who did the voice? The catfish sounds very notably and recognizably female in the voice clips I've heard elsewhere, so unless she was a genius at disguising her voice for all these phone calls...which seems unlikely...how was there no suspicion at all? I guess when you want something bad enough you're willing to make all kinds of logical leaps to justify it.

• Love 3

Algebra, I kinda agree with you that Overton is probably enjoying this but OTOH she got away with it for years apparently with "regular" peeps. I think it's important to OUT this woman so she can't get away with it again.

Btw it appears she's taken over the Meri Brown Club page on FB, which I surmised was set up by Kendra. I'm thinking Kendra passed admin rights to Overton after breaking off with Robyn and the Browns. Childish revenge.

• Love 3

I have to admit I've been reading with fascination. I can easily see how most of this stuff in the DMs and texts could be exactly what went down -- the neediness and insecurity, the belief she doesn't deserve love, the fear of disrupting the family life. This catfish knew exactly what to do and say to reel her in so quickly -- which was sadly sadly very little -- just bombard her with the idea that she's special and appealing and uniquely loved. It's so sad. 

I thought it was especially interesting that there was the one line "Sam" included in the DMs that seemed to obliquely refer to wanting a lesbian relationship in a very roundabout way. "I worried that you beloved [sic] in only man and woman marriages or stay with the same." There seemed to clearly be some text edited/missing from that conversation as it came out of nowhere and it went unacknowledged by Meri in what was posted.

What I'm having a harder time wrapping my head around is the idea that this supposedly lasted for six months without Meri ever seeing this guy in the actual flesh. And who did the voice? The catfish sounds very notably and recognizably female in the voice clips I've heard elsewhere, so unless she was a genius at disguising her voice for all these phone calls...which seems unlikely...how was there no suspicion at all? I guess when you want something bad enough you're willing to make all kinds of logical leaps to justify it.

If you have ever watched the actual Catfish show on MTV you'll noticed that voices are pretty obvious BUT the person being catfished just wants to believe what they want to believe.  So if they think they're talking to a guy, the voice sounds like a guy, when in reality to everyone else it sounds like a woman.

• Love 3

If you have ever watched the actual Catfish show on MTV you'll noticed that voices are pretty obvious BUT the person being catfished just wants to believe what they want to believe.  So if they think they're talking to a guy, the voice sounds like a guy, when in reality to everyone else it sounds like a woman.

Interesting. I've only seen it a few times and I think those episodes featured relationships that were only online/didn't have phone conversations or go on quite so long. I tend to be a little naive, in that I generally believe people tell the truth most of the time, but these declarations of love after a couple weeks are something else. My bullshit meter would be pinging all over the place, especially if I couldn't google the guy. Lol.

• Love 2

look at the youngish guy in this video , sort of resembles the fake 'Sam' photo ,  prob not same dude and not saying there is a real Sam but as far as resemblance and lives in plygland

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2015/06/24/no-filter-general-steam/

In Episode 54 of the “No Filter Show,” Co-hosts Paul Ford and “Fill-in” (otherwise known as Dan Fowlks)

actor? film producer? Agree with algebra it maybe gives catfish some secondary thrill but  whoever's photo she is using could  theoretically take her to court  for fraudulent use  and eve if she gets her jollies, not talking about her protects her by making her less internet-relevant. Meri may have screwed up out of loneliness, depression, naivete etc., but what this b(tch did was straight up evil

also see

https://justiceforvictimsofjackiecatfish.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/one-on-on-interview-with-a-previous-jackiecatfish-victim-staceys-story/

there's also the possibility the photo is not of a real person but a photoshopped combination of photos, like using this site http://www.faceresearch.org/demos/average

The fact that no real person has stepped forward to say, hey that's my photo, stop using it at once you crazed Annie-Wilkes she-devil makes me wonder if it is indeed not a real person at all, but someone with very good photoshop skills could invent one using photos like the guy in the video

http://www.faceresearch.org/demos/average

headshot.jpg

Samuel-Cooper.jpg

meanwhile can Meri go back to this hairdo, and like the other poster was saying ditch the 80's concert chick look? Really hope catfish didn't meanly suggest 'oh the tanner the better on you, baby, it suits you.'  That would have been another mean thing to do. Lose the orange, Meri. I think the comments re the weight are because some were filmed during fish-gate and some months after or before

meri-brown-sister-wives.jpg

• Love 2

Algebra, I kinda agree with you that Overton is probably enjoying this but OTOH she got away with it for years apparently with "regular" peeps. I think it's important to OUT this woman so she can't get away with it again.

Btw it appears she's taken over the Meri Brown Club page on FB, which I surmised was set up by Kendra. I'm thinking Kendra passed admin rights to Overton after breaking off with Robyn and the Browns. Childish revenge.

Really hope this loony toon isn't still holding anything over Meri's head, they could have talked about all kinds of stuff in the 'DM's' (what does DM stand for again? txt messages?) yet how is that even to be proven they are real? But if someone like Meri was naive enough to be played to begin with, what's to stop catfish from continuing to threaten her, even in a veiled type way- and Meri being afraid she will do it instead of just saying 'FU, do it then'.

Perhaps Meri is afraid the show will get cancelled, which it may anyway, but she shouldn't give this POS more power by fearing her. 

Meri and crew need to realize that while they live in buttercup land of rainbows and unicorns, the rest of us aren't as shocked by everything as they might think we would be, as critical as we all can be re personalities or lifestyle, we're not perfect either. 

I would bet everyone here has, maybe not to this extent, but has been taken for a ride from a bullsh*tter before, we've all had our b*tchy days, we've all likely said something politically incorrect at one point, we've all had something embarrassing,we've all looked stupid at some point, we all wore lame clothes, etc. We know for us it is TV but for you it is real life, and I think most of us feel bad for you, whether or not we 'like' you or not, to do both are possible! But don't 'take it personal' as robin says, it's really not. Don't care so much about whether we like you or not, after all, we don't really know any of you. Just don't let this catfish hound you or intimidate you, show or no show. Do what is right for you, but don't do stuff based on what this POS might or might not do. That's just feeding the monster. Write the people off who are still playing games with you, even people who have nothing to do with this.

What's the worst case scenario? You lose the show? That could happen anyway, and you start over in whatever configuration of your family or individuals that seems to work best. You all managed before TV, and you will manage again. If you have your health, your kids are ok, and supportive family, whether it is this immediate one or your family of origin, extended family and friends, you will be ok, those are the things that matter, the rest is just gravy.

Edited by BlackWidow
  • Love 3

Depending on the scene.... you can tell Meri has lost weight.  It usually doesn't look like 30 lbs so I wonder if she's gained some back before her TH's. 

But she looks good! She just needs to get rid of her oompa loompa tan.

I was hopeful for this whole Catfish drama to turn into a teaching moment. There are many lonely men and women out there who are exploited by Catfishes. If Meri was a little more vocal about the situation and appeared on morning or daytime television to discuss the issue, people would benefit. I had two clients Catfished and my own mother, an educated and intelligent woman in her late 50s was nearly Catfished too.

I've followed the DMs some. Though I'm confused??! I read the messages where "Sam" says he's at Disney (wearing a shirt-sleeved shirt with a tie -- and I can't get but to imagine Broadway's The Book of Mormon) and coming to see Meri. But we know that they never meet up and he sends his assistant "Lindsey"/Overton instead. Why didn't Overton include the messages where she/he lets Meri down?

• Love 1

I think I would be more embarrassed to be on a show that is all about sharing d*ck, vs having been vulnerable and human catfish bait. Maybe not.

Indeed! In fact, Meri's whole relationship history could be summed up as, "Hi, I'm Meri. I willingly allow others to manipulate me and use me to meet their own twisted needs--as a result, I'm desperate for real love and validation."

• Love 2

I've followed the DMs some. Though I'm confused??! I read the messages where "Sam" says he's at Disney (wearing a shirt-sleeved shirt with a tie -- and I can't get but to imagine Broadway's The Book of Mormon) and coming to see Meri. But we know that they never meet up and he sends his assistant "Lindsey"/Overton instead. Why didn't Overton include the messages where she/he lets Meri down?

And dress shorts. To Disney.

I just laughed at the BOM reference especially since Overton strongly resembles Cartman of South Park.

• Love 3

Let's not forget Christine's bargain to allow the gym mats in her garage if Kody would spend more time at her house.  Which apparently he didn't anyway.

If I was Christine ( not likely that I would put up with this bullshit) I would have thrown those wresting mats in Robyn's driveway.
  • Love 3

Really hope this loony toon isn't still holding anything over Meri's head, they could have talked about all kinds of stuff in the 'DM's' (what does DM stand for again? txt messages?) yet how is that even to be proven they are real? But if someone like Meri was naive enough to be played to begin with, what's to stop catfish from continuing to threaten her, even in a veiled type way- and Meri being afraid she will do it instead of just saying 'FU, do it then'.

y.

DM-= direct message
  • Love 2

hahah! Her mother was busted, too!  For embezzlement and exploitation of an elderly or disabled person by deception or intimidation.  Wow.  Looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  

It's too bad Jackie wasn't locked up longer so there would have been a big obvious pause in the information dump taking place on her nutso Batman blog.  I would have loved to see her explain how "Sam's" sudden posting halt which coincided with Jackie being in jail was just a big coincidence. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 8

Some of Overton's stories are obviously made up, but the voicemails seem real. I don't think she is smart enough to somehow construct fake voice messages. It is Meri's voice. I cannot stop wondering if Kody and the rest of the family has listened to the VM's- in some of them Meri very romantically declares her undying love for Sam. Much of it does sound like a junior high romance- but Meri has lived a very sheltered life, married to a man who seems emotionally stunted. The Brown's have given the impression that the catfish thing happened, they dealt with it, and moved on. I don't buy it- anyone familiar with the show is aware of the Notbatmanyet blog, and like not being able to look away at an accident, it is hard to resist perusing the blog! I find it hard to believe the other wives, and the older kids ( all who are reasonably Internet savvy) wouldn't check it out from curiosity! I cannot imagine how embarassing this all must be for Meri. No doubt, she will retreat to her spot under Kody's boot!

• Love 6

The article says that Meri admits intimacy with the catfish on the voicemail. I can't link the article or hear the voicemails on my phone. Can someone check it out and report back? Thanks.

I'm at work so I can't listen to the vms, but I'm curious, too. "Intimacy" can be defined in many ways, so I doubt the truth is all that titillating. I'm guessing in this case, the intimacy Meri describes is emotional, not physical. Who knows what intimacy is defined as in Jackie the Catfisher's mind. Her hand probably accidentally brushed against Meri's at Disneyland and she thought that was the same thing as having full-on intercourse.

Edited by egilsdottir
  • Love 1

I listened. Literally all it is is Meri wheedling/pleading with Sam not to be angry with her. She says basically "Babe, come on. What's going on? You're really struggling with something tonight. I wasn't saying that being intimate with you was my worst--I was talking about my hair. It's a mop!" And there's more "come on, babe!"s and "I love you"s in this really wheedling "Don't be mad at me" tone.

The second vm is just her saying basically "Mr. Cooper, I love you and I want to see your face and I want to have your babies. I love you," blah blah, etc.

No one saying "we had sex" or anything specific like that.

• Love 5

You're braver than I am.  I can't make myself listen to those voicemails.  Incredibly, I feel embarrassed for Meri.

Overton really screwed up if she posted a VM where Meri says she wants to see Sam's face, if she's trying to get everyone convinced that they had sex on 6 March during the Disney trip.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 5

Meri most likely had phone sex with "Sam". Judging by their texts, it most went like this:

Jackie using her Sam voice: I want to do sex with you and stuff.

Meri: Oh Samuel.

I've read most of the blog posts, but like some others here, I can't bring myself to listen to the voicemails.  I heard a couple right when this all started, enough to be convinced it was really Meri.  But then I lost my stomach for it.  For some reason I can read their trite and embarrassing little DM and text messages, but listening in just feels wrong, hah. I know, that makes no sense, but it's how I feel.

One of the things I want to know more about is the sudden cut off of texts when "Sam" is supposedly in line at Disney, about to meet Meri.  They are talking and talking, all excited.  He is just landing at the airport, then an hour away, then he's parking the car, then in line at the turnstile ... and it just ends suddenly.  Just when it would seem that Meri would need to tell him exactly where she is so they can meet.  Now of course we all know that at some point "Sam" had to bail on meeting Meri, because, well ... he does not exist.  But Overton is a brazen little nutjob and she worked this shit right up until the last minute ... it's amazing.  Of course Overton won't include that part of the exchange because she wants the world to believe Sam and Meri met and had sex that night.  But "Sam" obviously had to come up with some excuse to give Meri for standing her up at the last second, and I really wish I knew what it was.

Like .... did he claim his credit card was denied when he went to buy his ticket or something?   Or did he say one of those little trollies that go through the parking lot had veered wildly off course and ran him down?  What could "he" possibly have said?  It's just a small thing I am curious about, more because I want to know what ridiculous story Meri fell for more than anything else.  

Anyway.  They didn't meet because Sam doesn't exist, of course. Nor did they have sex (for the same reason).  I am with CofCinci and think Overton and Meri probably just had phone sex and that is what this "intimacy" consisted of.   It's all it could have consisted of.  Because there is no Sam.  

• Love 7

oh well she'd just be looking for the 6'6" geek wearing shorts, a short sleeve shirt and a tie. right?

I hope to God that Meri kept her copies of the DMs so she could fill in what happened.  "The rest of the story" at some point.  But at this point, I think she's probably kowtowing to Kody's and Robyn's wishes and probably deleted them. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1

I listened to some of the messages and it was rather pathetic--Meri asking him to get in touch, wondering where he is, all in a sad and pleading tone.  It's her voice alright.  I listened to a few and then couldn't take it anymore.  I felt like I was dirty...an eavesdropper on something very personal.  That Overton gal is sick.

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 7

I listened. Literally all it is is Meri wheedling/pleading with Sam not to be angry with her. She says basically "Babe, come on. What's going on? You're really struggling with something tonight. I wasn't saying that being intimate with you was my worst--I was talking about my hair. It's a mop!" And there's more "come on, babe!"s and "I love you"s in this really wheedling "Don't be mad at me" tone.

The second vm is just her saying basically "Mr. Cooper, I love you and I want to see your face and I want to have your babies. I love you," blah blah, etc.

No one saying "we had sex" or anything specific like that.

Is it just me or is the more that comes out, the lamer it gets? I don't know whether she knew the catfish was even a catfish, or if she actually knew it was a woman, I also thought it was telling like some other poster wrote when it was mentioned in the DM 'I was afraid you might be afraid or maybe your family might not be ok with same-sex marriages or you know, same...' I mean, if 'Sam' was a man, or Meri thought he was a man, why would he even go there? Its likely Meri figured it out, especially at Disneyland, if you talk to someone enough, you know it's them, even if they change their voice, there's the inflections, different patterns. Whether she knew the whole time or figured it out at some point -of course kody didn't freak out as bad as if it had been an actual man, whether or not Meri admits she knew or not, he wouldn't be able to take it had it been a man.

But either way, even if now it is not a total catfish story, but a lesbian phone affair/stalker/extortion/misc head trip story, it's about played out.  10, 9, 8, 7.....All I know is I can't listen to another voicemail, it's like hearing a cat meowing at the door the third time you let it outside.

• Love 3

oh well she'd just be looking for the 6'6" geek wearing shorts, a short sleeve shirt and a tie. right?

omg haha I forgot about the shorts with the short sleeved shirt and a tie at Disneyland.  Maybe "Sam" claimed the Disney people wouldn't let him in the park because he was dressed like a moron.  

• Love 9

Yes, she really said specifically "I want to have your babies." It's something the catfish kept egging her on to say and she seemed reticent in some of the DMs, but I guess she came around. I've only listened to about 3 or 4 of the voicemails too--and yes they were all the same with her apologizing for something or the other that "Sam" took offense to, or wondering why he's not responding to her and giving her some kind of cold shoulder treatment. It's really a mess. "Sam" is clearly negging her/playing hot and cold/praying on her insecurities so she'll feel the need to always be on tinterhooks and apologizing and unsure of "his" love.

• Love 10

...I've only listened to about 3 or 4 of the voice mails too--and yes they were all the same with her apologizing for something or the other that "Sam" took offense to, or wondering why he's not responding to her and giving her some kind of cold shoulder treatment. It's really a mess. "Sam" is clearly egging her/playing hot and cold/praying on her insecurities so she'll feel the need to always be on tenterhooks and apologizing and unsure of "his" love.

Well, Meri's only other romantic attachment was Kody, and he's the same way.  I don't think Meri knows any other way to 'love' a man.

• Love 10

If the current season was filmed earlier this year, it could be the reason nothing is mentioned yet. It's possible this will be brought up as the finale or to be used in the next season (if the show's renewed). Also, I wonder if the silence is at the behest of TLC for either (1) to use later on and/or (2) the FTA or whatever legal authorities are hoping this catfish will keep on dumping more stuff until they have enough evidence to use against her. I can see TLC turning this around to end up as a "public service" to inform others not to fall for such scams.And the Browns would explain Meri's vulnerability as a combination of emotions caused by the divorce, family sadness (may or may not announce her brother's passing), empty nest syndrome, and health worries--they could probably spin this as "poor, misguided Meri feeling she had too much stress and sadness that she fell victim to this catfish person, blah, blah, blah--but we've all rallied around her and pulled together as a family and all's well, yada, yada, yada..."

Personally, I feel really sad for Meri that this happened to her. I just started watching this show at the beginning of this season, so I don't have a favorite wife or feel more for one wife over another (although I have to agree with y'all about Robyn!).

Well, Meri's only other romantic attachment was Kody, and he's the same way.  I don't think Meri knows any other way to 'love' a man.

Exactly. It's really sad. Jumped from the frying pan right into the damn open flame.

• Love 6