Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

The DMs seem to have run out, it's just VMs.

I just re-read the Stacey "interview" for the first time since the upchuck by Overton. Yikes. Perspective.

https://justiceforvictimsofjackiecatfish.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/one-on-on-interview-with-a-previous-jackiecatfish-victim-staceys-story/

I just read some of this. These victims must have shit for brains! I don't care how lonely and miserable you are, getting scammed out of that kind of money because you're in love with a person you have never met? Who does that???

I especially liked the part about how they were in Las Vegas waiting for "Sam" to be discharged from the hospital, but never visited him in the hospital. Oh of course, like that happens!

So how much money did Meri lose?

• Love 4

I got caught up in other things this week so I just caught up with this thread.  I was going to suggest that the "sex" was just phone sex myself and the Catfish was acting like it was real - I kind of wonder if the line between fantasy and reality with this person is somewhat blurred or she just wanted to exaggerate what might have been very tame into something more scandalous.

As far as how people can have long, intense relationships with people they've never met, I once had this happen myself about 16 years ago.  My husband and I were separated and considering divorce when it happened (we later reconciled and are still together).  I was a member of a mailing list for personality type and a man started writing me privately.  It turned into an email friendship and then one day after about a year of innocent, purely platonic writing back and forth he confessed to me that he was having "feelings" for me.  He had seen my photo but I had never seen his - I must confess I was deeply affected by this and we did feel that we were "in love" for a while, but being firmly grounded in reality and knowing he was also married neither of us ever let it get further than that and we eventually made the decision to stop corresponding and talking on the phone altogether, which we had also been doing for a while - Which was tough, I'll admit, but it needed to be done before it went too far.

So it is actually possible to even feel like you've fallen in love with someone you've never met or even seen.  I think that it can even happen to unsuspecting people when they're not even looking for anything to happen - If you are vulnerable in any way it can find a way in without you  consenting to it.  Back then I had many email relationships that came out of that mailing list - All of them except that one were completely platonic and never crossed the line into anything else.  Some of these people I eventually met at mailing list gatherings and it taught me that unless you meet someone before you start on a relationship with them it's very possible to project all sorts of qualities onto them that they don't have that come from your "wishful thinking".  So yes, it is very possible that Meri could have been taken in by a woman and not even recognized the voice as female on the other end of the line.  I don't think I would have been similarly fooled in even if I were as desperate as she is but like others have said, she is definitely more naive and sheltered so add that to the equation and it becomes a lot more understandable.

P.S. - I eventually saw that guy's photo years later on a website - Let's just say if I were to have ever seen his photo during our "affair of the heart" it would have been a complete letdown as he looked NOTHING like I imagined and was much homelier.  He was no scam artist, just a mid level executive in Atlanta.  A real person who showed real feelings, not this 19th century romance novel drivel that the Catfish spewed on Meri.  I at least give myself credit for being able to spot a scam artist, and I do believe I was approached by some back in that day and a friend of mine was almost a victim of one to the tune of several thousand dollars - A friend who like Meri was a lot more sheltered and naive than I'll ever be.  I grew up on the streets of NYC so I have a lot of "street smarts", plus I come from a long line of naturally suspicious people.  Even at the height of our affair of the heart, if this guy had ever given me some sob story to get money out of me I never would have given it to him and would have suspected him as a scam artist - And this was 16 years ago when most people weren't aware that such things could even happen!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8

Meri got an inground pool recently. Last year I think. Did that come out of her grocery money? Did she have to take on extra wrestling mats? Did Mariah leave her expensive school? Or was that payment for shutting up and signing those divorce papers they shoved in front of her? Will they show all the kids using her pool on the show? Kind of a big deal, no?

On topic, how is there enough room in their lots for big in-ground pools?

It's there. And it's spectacular! Lol

• Love 4

Some of the VM's from Meri are indeed cringe worthy- I feel embarrassment and humiliation on her behalf. The Brown family are all fairly Internet savvy, and even though they have not commented publicly lately, you know they are all secretly listening to those messages. Can you even imagine how Kody and Mariah feel? I fear this will force Meri into a submissive position in the family- having to act grateful that they haven't all shunned her! If I had a magic wand I would make Sam a real boy, and then Meri and Sam could live unhappily ever after- they certainly had a drama filled "relationship"! Considering Meri has lived a very sheltered life married to an emotionally stunted man, and Overton is a narcissistic, emotionally damaged Internet stalker, they almost seem like a perfect match, if Meri were a lesbian, or Overton were a man.

• Love 7

Apropos of nothing, someone tell me how to ignore? I know there's a way but I can't find it?

On topic, how is there enough room in their lots for big in-ground pools?

At the top of the page, click on your account (little person icon) and choose the "manage ignore prefs" option.

Their lots actually have a lot of space around and behind them. The sod they laid for their commitment party a couple of seasons ago (because a gigantic expanse of thirsty grass is SUCH a great choice in the Nevada desert...) must have cost a small fortune.

• Love 1

The largest amount of space is where they put in the sod, and that would give the most room for a pool adjacent to Meri's house.  The fences all appear to be in the front of each property, with no dividing fences in the back.  And all of the landscaping is in the front.  Except for the sodded area, everything else is just dirt.

(Google Earth.  It's a wonderful thing if you know where to look.)

• Love 2

The largest amount of space is where they put in the sod, and that would give the most room for a pool adjacent to Meri's house.  The fences all appear to be in the front of each property, with no dividing fences in the back.  And all of the landscaping is in the front.  Except for the sodded area, everything else is just dirt.

(Google Earth.  It's a wonderful thing if you know where to look.)

Some of the shots of the back areas, especially when they first moved in, are just depressing. There was a scene behind Robyn's house with a bunch of family at picnic tables (maybe during her house tour, or when they had all the mothers-in-law over? Dunno..it all becomes one over-populated blur after a while.) Anyway it was just a cement slab set on gray dirt. Nothing green, nothing growing. Gee, no thanks.
  • Love 3

Meri got a pool? But wouldn't that wash off her glorious, Day-Glo orange spray tan?

P.S. I got banned from the Not Batman Yet blog because I commented that Sam isn't real & Overton is a low-life Catfisher. Now I can't listen to those oh-so-risqué vms of Meri asking if "Sam" is mad at her!

• Love 3

Meri got a pool? But wouldn't that wash off her glorious, Day-Glo orange spray tan?

P.S. I got banned from the Not Batman Yet blog because I commented that Sam isn't real & Overton is a low-life Catfisher. Now I can't listen to those oh-so-risqué vms of Meri asking if "Sam" is mad at her!

I figured all the comments on that blog were faked by Jackie.

• Love 3

I already know the answer to my own question, but I will ask it anyway ... isn't there some kind of law Overton is breaking?  Maybe not the catfishing itself, since she didn't get any money fraudulently (it appears).  But some kind of invasion of privacy or something for leaking all Meri's messages and stuff .... and the LIES ... because I want Overton IN JAIL.  But I just don't think there is anything technically illegal in what she is doing.  

Well.  There should be.  The lies about a sex tape and the fake posts from people who supposedly saw it and posted about how nasty Meri was are reason enough to put Overton's ass behind bars, imo. Not to mention the rest of it.  

I do think Meri has at the very least a good tort lawsuit, for something like intentional infliction of emotional distress.  Or libel. Of course she would never pursue it.  And Overton probably doesn't have a pot to piss in if she did, and it would only bring more attention to the whole thing.  No real point in that, plus the attention would only make Overton happy.  

Actually, I think being ignored is what brought all this on in the first place.  Overton wants revenge because Meri broke it off and started ignoring her. Well, it sucks for her because eventually that is what everyone else is going to do, too.  There won't be any more texts or DM's or voice messages to share, and there are no pictures in existence.  Eventually the public will lose interest, and poor Overton will have to slither back under her rock and wait for someone else to come along so she can victimize them.  She will probably pick another reality star, because doing it to just a random person wouldn't get any attention from the public.  And a real star would probably be more discreet than Meri.  And too busy.  And probably too smart.

Overton is probably trying to lure one of the lower-level Real Housewives into an online relationship right now, lol.  Oh, I hope it's Gretchen Rossi!  Now Gretchen and Slade would get down into the MUD with Overton.  They were made for this kind of thing.  It would be a win-win for all involved. 

• Love 3

... isn't there some kind of law Overton is breaking?...some kind of invasion of privacy or something...

As far as I know, the only way Meri could sue Overton is if Meri was talking to Overton directly on the phone, and Overton recorded the conversation without Meri's knowledge.  Unless Overton was in a state that allows phone conversations to take place with only one of the parties being aware that the conversation was being recorded.  The last I heard, many years ago, only one state allowed that, and I don't think that any state allows that sort of thing any more.

But writing a note, sending an email, sending an Instant Message, leaving a message on an answering machine, etc; all those are not considered to be protected by privacy laws.  By leaving an audio or written message on any of those mediums you are signing off on privacy.  It's expected that the sender know that anyone could access the message and thus have no expectation of privacy.  There are probably situations where a person could only leave a message on a secure server or something like that, where they might believe they have a legitimate expectation of privacy, but I doubt that the catfish employed such techniques or that Meri would have the knowledge to ask for that kind of security.

• Love 1

I just checked Google Maps. No pool on the Browns' side and the image is dated 2015. Two of the neighbors on the other side of the cul de sac have pools however.

I looked at it again, too--hadn't seen it for a very long time. There is just the big lawn and pergola between Robyn's and Meri's houses, and no pool; everything else behind the homes is still just dirt. Remember when they first moved in and they were swimming at the neighbor's house? Wonder if the neighbor still lets that happen...

• Love 2

As far as I know, the only way Meri could sue Overton is if Meri was talking to Overton directly on the phone, and Overton recorded the conversation without Meri's knowledge.  Unless Overton was in a state that allows phone conversations to take place with only one of the parties being aware that the conversation was being recorded.  The last I heard, many years ago, only one state allowed that, and I don't think that any state allows that sort of thing any more.

But writing a note, sending an email, sending an Instant Message, leaving a message on an answering machine, etc; all those are not considered to be protected by privacy laws.  By leaving an audio or written message on any of those mediums you are signing off on privacy.  It's expected that the sender know that anyone could access the message and thus have no expectation of privacy.  There are probably situations where a person could only leave a message on a secure server or something like that, where they might believe they have a legitimate expectation of privacy, but I doubt that the catfish employed such techniques or that Meri would have the knowledge to ask for that kind of security.

Yeah... I admit, I knew all that.  I just don't like it, lol. I want a loophole, a mistake.  Something.  

But I have the feeling Overton knows it all, too.  And she won't release anything that could result in action against her.  It just bugs.

I really wish Meri would drag her ass into court for libel though.  Overton has claimed Meri had sex with her.  That's actionable.  And it has got to the point that Meri really has nothing left to lose.  What else is Overton going to put out there about her?   Is Meri afraid that the average show viewer who doesn't read message boards or something doesn't already know about all this and if they all find out it would be a bad thing?  Because I think the majority of people who really give a crap about this show already does know all about the catfishing.  And many people either don't blame Meri or are on her side.  I don't think she has anything left to lose. 

I guess I am just the type of person who would never let someone publicly humiliate me and embarrass my kid and my husband and my sister wives and their children and just let them get away with it. 

• Love 4

If Meri tries to sue for libel, she has to prove the defamation somehow caused her loss of income, etc. Even if the show is cancelled now or Sister Wives closet goes bankrupt, or whatever other scheme they have going, I don't think it can be pinpointed on this Overton person's word alone. Meri really has no solid legal grounds to do anything.

Actually, some types of defamation are considered slanderous or libelous per se and there is no requirement a plaintiff show an actual loss.  Calling someone a criminal, impugning someone's chastity, business competence and ... ugh what's the 4th category.  Is it venereal disease?  lol help me out, here, wikipedia ... 

Defamation per se[edit]
The four (4) categories of slander that are actionable per se are (i) accusing someone of a crime; (ii) alleging that someone has a foul or loathsome disease; (iii) adversely reflecting on a person's fitness to conduct their business or trade; and (iv) imputing serious sexual misconduct. Here again, the plaintiff need only prove that someone had published the statement to any third party. No proof of special damages is required. In May 2012 an appeals court in New York, citing changes in public policy with regard to homosexuality, ruled that describing someone as gay is not defamation.[115]   (bolding mine)

So saying Meri was committing adultery (and likes it dirty!!!) is libel per se and she need not prove damages. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

If Meri tries to sue for libel, she has to prove the defamation somehow caused her loss of income, etc. Even if the show is cancelled now or Sister Wives closet goes bankrupt, or whatever other scheme they have going, I don't think it can be pinpointed on this Overton person's word alone. Meri really has no solid legal grounds to do anything.

Oh I wouldn't be too sure Meri can't do anything.  There's all kinds of stuff about fraud and misrepresentation for personal gain. Also didn't they first meet under the pretense of some business arrangement? Offers to work when in fact there was no company- who knows about the real reason for the divorce, if it did have to do with this catfish attempt, it wasn't a good idea to put it out there as some sacrifice for the adoption.

Let's just say hypothetically this was the case, or even partially, Meri would have to admit either lying to the viewing public, and the others who went along with this bs re divorce/adoption story lying as well or admit JO had convinced her to leave kody on whatever pretense of job or different life was awaiting her.  On the other hand, both scenarios may be somewhat true simultaneously -

the question is, when did Meri realize 'Sam' was really a woman?  Disneyland?  Now if Meri knew the whole time, and the use of 'Sam', which that Nick Connor blog or somewhere else said 'Sam' was an acronym for JO's roommate 'Stacey Austin Marsen' or something like that- and if it was 'code' invented to cover the same-sex thing, that is another ball of wax entirely. Then it isn't really fraud but rather just a stalkery, mind-f)!k , mean-girl thing. Either way, it's creepy. The main thing hinges upon if Meri knew, and/or when she knew. But don't be too sure Meri doesn't have a case, or perhaps even a class-action case since there were other people also before her.

http://www.trucounsel.com/elements-of-nevadas-theories-of-liability/fraudulent-concealment

http://www.trucounsel.com/elements-of-nevadas-theories-of-liability/fraudulent-or-intentional-misrepresentation

http://lasvegastribune.net/perpetrators-fraud-nevada-beware/

https://nickoconner.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/notbatmanyet/https://nickoconner.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/notbatmanyet/

Edited by BlackWidow

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for not sharing Google Earth/Maps links or screen-caps. Obviously, you're all free to look, but we don't want the links themselves posted here - it's against site policy to post addresses and house images, etc. for reality show participants. You've all been respecting that rule beautifully so far, so keep at it!

• Love 1

well, we live in a new world now, the internet world (although that said, it's not THAT new).

Maybe it's time to have a law for this type of shit. She's going hog wild and thumbing her nose at everyone saying she's getting away with it.

We don't need a new law. Somebody needs to lure the catfish out for a rendezvous and beat the crap out it. Or con it into going on a trip to Mexico, steal all the money and identification, and leave the thing south of the border.

There are ways to deal with a catfish.

• Love 2

I don't remember what company produces this show but if they were smart they'd be on the horn to Nev (?) and that other dude to do a SPECIAL EPISODE OF MTV'S CATFISH starring Meri Brown. 

I haven't been listening to the nine million voicemails posted but I think the catfish is getting a little more arrogant/secure. She's now giving specific times and details about other assignations (a week when they supposedly stayed together in Utah) and also someone in the comments asked "Sam" to prove he has insider info by talking about what happens on next week's episode with the concrete pouring. He talks about a Meri/Kody fight that will conveniently "likely be edited out." Of course, none of this proves that there is a living, breathing man named Sam (This is almost Dr. Seuss worthy.) just that SOMEONE got close enough for Meri to confide all this. He keeps saying pictures of him will be forthcoming too. Lol. I'm so curious as to what the denouement to all of this will be. Will she get more images of the half-face guy in his profile pic and put those up? Will she say "ha ha suckers, I took you all for a ride" and admit it's a ruse? It's a way more entertaining trainwreck than the show itself at this point.

• Love 3

Hi, I'm the pinhead that posted about Meri's pool first the other day. So sorry screwed that up. Spied on the wrong cult de sack. I thought I saw a pool in her yard and couldn't wait to reveal that as the reason for the divorce. Sorry for the wrong info!

• Love 2

I think Meri deserves props for looking for something better. It shows she's figured out this polygamy shit stinks.

As single moms, these three older wives have a pretty good deal, their own McMansions, other children for their kids to hang out with, apparently steady incomes for now. Leaving the cul-de-sac wouldn't make any sense. As long as they show up for filming they are free to do as they please. I think that's why Janelle seems pretty happy. For all we know she's banging somebody she met at the gym. Meri needs to create her own life, get a job, a circle of friends, maybe attend services at the LDS, and sit on a couch with the others once a week, talk about how peachy everything is, and collect a paycheck.

• Love 2

Something else I thought about Meri, we snark a lot about her orange complexion, but consider her unexpected weight loss, her having had a CTscan, it's possible she's got something wrong with her pancreas, gallbladder or liver. It could be gall stones, or it could be pancreatic cancer. Nobody deserves that stuff.

• Love 1

Jackie's credit card was stolen and used in Guatemala? Who else is in Guatemala? Jill and Derrick Dillard. Time for a Grift-Off! Scumbag Battle Royale.

But her card wasn't stolen. Sounds like InTouch or a private investigator used the old "confirm these charges" trick to keep her on the phone.

Jackie's "male"/"Sam" voice does sound masculine.

The clip of "Jackie from Wichita" calling in to discuss sports reminds me of that sad independent film with Patton Oswalt "Big Fan."

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 6

You'd think the supposed credit card fraud caller would say what card they were working for ... but I didn't hear Visa or Mastercard or anything mentioned.   No wonder Jackie just hung up.  She's evil, but she's not entirely stupid.  And being an expert fraudster herself, she can smell another one a mile away.

What the fake caller should have done was say a Visa card account was opened in Jackie's name and such and such charges have been made in whatever nearby large city ... now that sounds more plausible.  Or better yet, tell her the card has been used in Las Vegas to buy magical underwear and self-tanner then ask her if she knows anyone in Las Vegas who might have opened an account in her to make such purchases.   Trick her into admitting she knows Meri! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3

On the Notbatmanyet blog, "Sam" is supposedly moving, and locked up the blog until further notice. I bet his right hand gal "Lindsay" will announce that Sam was killed in an accident or something. Since Overton is addicted to all this attention, it may be hard for her to give Sam up though. TLC has to be loving all this free publicity, since there is no such thing as bad publicity, but the Brown family members have to be pretty pissed at Meri for this mess!

• Love 3

I just saw over on "The Ashley" site that apparently Sam has a book deal. Lol... In the statement that The Ashley quoted Sam is saying he is looking for help writing it and would appreciate if someone would help... Are you kidding me!? First of all, is there really even that much to write about? Second, I can't even think of a second because this is all so ridiculous.

• Love 3

I just saw over on "The Ashley" site that apparently Sam has a book deal. Lol... In the statement that The Ashley quoted Sam is saying he is looking for help writing it and would appreciate if someone would help... Are you kidding me!? First of all, is there really even that much to write about? Second, I can't even think of a second because this is all so ridiculous.

Oh yeah "it" posted that on its blog. I laughed out loud. The last post is kind of a farewell as he moves out of Vegas to the hinterlands. Meaning that Overton's running out of steam or realizes that people are losing interest.

As for a book deal - ha! Maybe an article.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 2

Sam is dead. He died in a plane crash in Nigeria and left Jackie $2,536,789,230.

Jackie will share this inheritance with anybody who will send her the money she needs to pay the probate court costs.

• Love 6

For those who saw it - I deleted that new topic on Meri that appeared earlier this evening. Your replies to it were all fine, but I think merging it in here would have just sent us down the rabbit hole :) Thanks for the reports and the replies though. I love our little community!

• Love 4

Okay, burn my eyes, but I went back to the faux blog and once again Sam took time from its busy schedule during its move to Chicago to say that it doesn't know who Jackie is but Lindsay is enjoying the notoriety.  and that it is almost done posting and boring everyone to death. 

• Love 1

Okay, burn my eyes, but I went back to the faux blog and once again Sam took time from its busy schedule during its move to Chicago to say that it doesn't know who Jackie is but Lindsay is enjoying the notoriety. and that it is almost done posting and boring everyone to death.

Just bounded over there after reading your comment. Jackie is so funny. She writes about how much traffic her website has received but when you visit the traffic analytic websites, notbatmenyet.com has such low traffic that it's not even measurable.

There is no Sam.

There is no Lindsey.

There is no new young ER nurse girlfriend in Chicago. (Hell, with the fantasy world this person lives in I wouldn't even believe there was a Chicago if I didn't once live there.)

There is no book deal.

There is only Jackie Overton.

Why doesn't Jackie channel all her energy into writing e-book series on Amazon? My buddy makes a comfortable living doing that and says it's pretty easy. Grandmas with Kindles eat these romance stories up.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 3

I went over to "Sam's" blog (I guess I am unbanned now, heh) and man, what a twisted person Meri got herself mixed up with. I can't even keep track of how many different people Jackie made up to supposedly support the fact that Sam exists. It has to be some kind of Catfish record. I don't know how she keeps it all straight.

I asked "Sam" to put up another photo of just him & not one of him and Meri. Should be easy, right? But I'm sure Jackie will respond that "Sam's" assistant Lindsay will have to get them from his ex, who lives in Bulgaria now, and blah blah blah. Or something like that.

I wonder if "Sam" ever attempts to contact Meri? If so, I'd think she would be able to slap a restraining order on Jackie. Online harassment is still harassment. They could have their lo-yer (as Kody pronounces it) Ron handle it. Between the marriages, divorces, adoptions, bankruptcies and catfishing, Ron has to be smiling all the way to the bank (that is, if their checks don't bounce!)

Edited by egilsdottir
  • Love 2
I have a publisher lined up. I’m currently looking for an Editor to help me write this book. Any help would be appreciated. Email me at Samuel@notbatmanyet.com

The book does not have a working title yet but it will be released on March 1, 2016! I’m excited to share all of my thoughts from this experience.

Finding a 20% printing coupon for Kinkos does not mean you have a "publisher", Jackie.

• Love 16