Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/09/15

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: An interview with journalists Sacha Pfeiffer, Michael Rezendes and Walter V. Robinson, who inspired the movie "Spotlight"; astronauts Scott Kelly and Mikhail Kornienko are interviewed live from the International Space Station; "View Your Deal."

Tuesday: Actress Elizabeth Hurley from "The Royals" visits the show; New York Magazine's Katie Van Syckle discusses the current "hook-up culture" on university campuses.

Wednesday: Day of Hot Topics; Margaret Cho joins the Hot Topics conversation.

Thursday: Actors Viola Davis, Jack Falahee, Matt McGorry, Aja Naomi King, Liza Weil, Charlie Weber and Billy Brown from "How to Get Away with Murder" visit the show; author Jeanine Pirro discusses her book "He Killed Them All."

Whoopi's Friday: The hosts celebrate Whoopi's Birthday Bash with a surprise-filled show, including special guests Thelma Houston, Cheryl Lynn and Martha Wash.

Michelle spoke up about the ridiculousness of Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving.

It always freaks me out when Christians talk about the "War on Christmas" when "their" holiday is almost 3 months long.

Personally I see the "Christmas Season" as being disrespectful to Christianity.... it is just a time of year for money grabbing and the gimmie gimmie gimmie of the holidays

• Love 13

Raven- I stopped watching when RO left and didn't watch the shows when you were "trying out"/guest co-hosting. Now that Rosie Perez is gone, I decided to watch again this season. After a several weeks of watching, I just can not comprehend why you are on this show.

First, Stacy London needs to do a makeover  for you on "Love, Lust or Run"  because your disaster hair style is exactly what she makes over. Second, you need some get some intelligence beyond Candy Crush.

In the meantime, where is the petition to get you fired from The View? Because I have zero confidence that you will improve so I want to sign it now.

• Love 7

I liked the last segment with London and Paula. They work well together. Also Paula had a very nice dress today. I think she is the best dressed woman on that panel. Of course it doesn't take much with Whoopi and Raven. lol

• Love 2

I only saw Jack Falahee listed on my guide, but it'll be interesting to see Viola Davis interact with Whoopi. Bets that nobody brings up anything?

A little boring today. I've noticed that whenever Raven/Michelle are doing their thing, Joy seems to zone out just like I do. She must think they're as vapid as we do.

• Love 3

I only saw Jack Falahee listed on my guide, but it'll be interesting to see Viola Davis interact with Whoopi. Bets that nobody brings up anything?

Maybe Whoopi will be off on Thursday since Friday's  description suggests she will be there. Or, are they back to taping Friday's  show?

• Love 1

When talking about Ben Carson today, there was a clip where Carson talked about how no other presidential candidate has been held to such scrutiny.  Paula brought up that  Obama was scrutinized - to the point that "some people"  blamed  Obama for things said by Reverend Wright.  

Hmmmm.............   which people were doing this?   Oh yeah,  it was the blond who used to sit there on this same show.   I loved Paula for bringing it up, only wish they could have put in a clip to illustrate.   A clip of Bitsy doing her bitching about Rev Wright would have been great.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 14

I liked the last segment with London and Paula. They work well together. Also Paula had a very nice dress today. I think she is the best dressed woman on that panel. Of course it doesn't take much with Whoopi and Raven. lol

I really liked Paula's shoes...... and her legs looked very good today too.

I dont think I have ever made a post like this before.... lolol

• Love 7

Hey Roger, I missed today's show but maybe you can be on shoe patrol for me/with me, lol. 

On the shows I do watch I've noticed Paula always looks nice and mostly has good shoes.   Not as good as Nicolle Wallace did in my opinion but better than anyone else at the table, which I guess isn't very hard.  

And while I'm in the shallow end, I'd give Raven the Best Makeup Award, Joy gets the Best Hair award.   Michelle needs to stop worrying about her height and put on a pair of heels once in a while.  She gets the Plays it Safe Award.  Whoopi, as usual gets the Biggest Slob Award. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

Its November Sweeps month.  I suspect Whoopi's contract cites full-week appearances.

So Joy can't be there on Fridays if Whoopi is there?   Just how insecure is Whoopi Goldberg these days?   The funny part about Whoopi doing five days a week during sweeps is I always watched on Fridays when she was out. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

I agree with them about the cups, but someone really needs to tell Whoopi to stop mentioning Ramadan when talking about the holidays during the Christmas Season. Ramadan was in the summer this year and won't be back in the winter for another couple of years. 

• Love 6

I just started watching this show again recently.  Had to stop when Hasselbeck and McCarthy were on because my blood pressure could not take it....

I love the current panel, even enjoy Raven some of the time. True, she is no genius, but she does present a different viewpoint from the rest.  

I have always loved Joy and Whoopie and am kind of liking Paula and the tall dark haired gal on today.  

I used to like Rosie Perez on here too, but sometimes she seemed to have trouble voicing her opinion clearly and quickly.

• Love 3

What did Michelle say during the 50 Cent topic that made everyone go quiet? All I heard was something about a weave. Articles in two, three…

I laughed when whoever’s in her ear interrupted Whoopi right when she started her usual “Here’s the thing!” tirade. I guess that finally explains some of her weird behavior at the end of most topics and going to commercial: they're trying to reign her in.

• Love 1

Sorry, Whoopi, but for those of us who don't make movies and thus don't see ourselves on screen, looking in the mirror doesn't always tell us when we've gained weight. We all see what we want to see, for better or worse.

I did like when Michelle explained to everyone, including Joy, that feminism is about deciding for yourself how you want to look-- fat or thin. And that if your weight is a health issue, that's no one else's business. I'm so tired of people pretending they actually care about a stranger's health just so they can comment on their weight. Worry about your own health.

• Love 7

I actually decided that I like Michelle today after her comment about feminism and weight. Everyone else I detest.

Whoopi-whatever she is wearing makes her look huge so her sitting there and saying how huge she used to look, well...

Joy-stop worrying about other people's weight because you claim to be concerned about their health-concern trolling at its finest. I don't like you that much anymore.

Raven-no, Black Lives Matter have enough on their hands with 90 people being killed by police last month. I think it is quite alright to let the 1950s group handle the Mizzou situation. Dumbass.

This whole interview with this New York Times writer is a mess. Terrible. Seems like a long segment of victim blaming to me. If you get raped, it is not only your fault but also your friends who didn't wait on the stoop for you?

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 1

What the hell was the point of that "Hook up Culture" segment?  Did any of you glean anything informative out of that?  What exactly was she there for?  To discuss college hook ups?  Pros?  Cons?  I don't get it.   And I must be officially old and perpetually grumpy because I am so damn sick & tired of listening to these 20-somethings prattle on about how "our generation expects this or how our generation feels as though we deserve that..."  Entitled to not hooking up in college or entitled to hooking up in college?  STFU already.  Life isn't fair and not everyone deserves a 1st place ribbon.  Deal with it.

And as far as managing one's weight and whether or not using a scale is helpful or not helpful.  STFU Whoopi.  I'm not taking body image advice from a woman who's breasts have now managed to move from resting at her elbows to sitting on her lap.  It's called a bra.  Try it.

This whole interview with this New York Times writer is a mess. Terrible. Seems like a long segment of victim blaming to me. If you get raped, it is not only your fault but also your friends who didn't wait on the stoop for you?

I read this after writing the above.  So, is that what it was about?  Rape?  Good god, what a dog's breakfast that whole segment was.  Not the brightest bulb in the pack, that one.  I hope her writing skills are better than her speaking skills.  Ummm, umm,. umm.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 12

What the hell was the point of that "Hook up Culture" segment?  Did any of you glean anything informative out of that?  What exactly was she there for?  To discuss college hook ups?  Pros?  Cons?  I don't get it.   And I must be officially old and perpetually grumpy because I am so damn sick & tired of listening to these 20-somethings prattle on about how "our generation expects this or how our generation feels as though we deserve that..."  Entitled to not hooking up in college or entitled to hooking up in college?  STFU already.  Life isn't fair and not everyone deserves a 1st place ribbon.  Deal with it.

And as far as managing one's weight and whether or not using a scale is helpful or not helpful.  STFU Whoopi.  I'm not taking body image advice from a woman who's breasts have now managed to move from resting at her elbows to sitting on her lap.  It's called a bra.  Try it.

I read this after writing the above.  So, is that what it was about?  Rape?  Good god, what a dog's breakfast that whole segment was.  Not the brightest bulb in the pack, that one.  I hope her writing skills are better than her speaking skills.  Ummm, umm,. umm.

Whoopie does not believe in bras, because  she is a special snowflake. I have no idea why that girl was talking about hooking up. People have been hooking up since the dawn of time..I have no idea why that girl was even talking about it..Plus, hooking up is not only relegated to young people....Sex is everywhere...Get over it already...It is obvious that the show cannot get any substantial guests, so they have to have  to scrape the bottom of the barrel by having these inane topics with uninteresting people to boot..The show is obviously done...Stick a fork in it!

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7

"Plus, hooking up is not only relegated to young people....Sex is everywhere...Get over it already...It is obvious that the show cannot get any substantial guests, so they have to have  to scrape the bottom of the barrel by having these inane topics with uninteresting people to boot..The show is obviously done...Stick a fork in it!"

I know, right? I was a freshman in college in 1984 and I had my fair share of hook ups. I am now working on my Masters and STILL hooking up steadily. To be fair, these days it is with my husband, but still. Sex. The idea that college students are having more sex these days than say 30 to 40 years ago...lol. It reminds me of the argument I had with a Men's Right's Activist in one of my classes who insisted that The Affordable Care Act (which he predictably referred to as "Obamacare") would encourage women to be more promiscuous.

• Love 3

Regarding the Jeb Bush/Hitler comments - I really think everyone, including Jeb, should have said the question was too stupid to comment on.

Jeb should have had the balls to say that.

If not, then I'd go with Joy and say that old Hitler would be toast.

Did Whoopi have some lucid points and comments or am I cray? I did giggle at, "tease the debate" and "shock waves thru the nation."

Vivica looked amazing.

Booty snatcher.....?

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Eh...that hooking up segment was just another dumb young 'un who thinks they've invented something that's been around since forever.  We're all a bit guilty of that until we get, ummmmm, older and realize differently.  After all, how many of us just can't imagine our parents having sex and actually enjoying it?  How dare they???

ETA:

I did giggle at, "tease the debate"

Is THAT what she said?  I thought she was reading it as her instruction on the teleprompter that it was time to "tease the break" b/c she did her little s****** finger diddling, made the comment, and went into "We'll be right back with..."

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2

Hillary just had a press conference where someone said they would like to strangle Carly. Hillary just laughed it off. 

That must be one of those funny jokes that it is ok to tell about Republican women? 

To be fair, CF has had her moments of laughter at another's expense,  Granted, it wasn't about strangulation, but she pretty famously joked about Barbara Boxer's "so yesterday" hairdo way back when. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XtPMq9xxOY

I was giving some thought last evening about the two women candidates, HC and CF, and came to the following realization:

Carly Fiorina is just too damn thin-skinned to be running for POTUS or any elected office, for that matter.  Hillary can be lambasted for everything from hair scrunchies to Bengazi and can sluff it off with that famous (infamous?) laugh of hers and that's the end of it.  Carly takes it to heart, whines and stews, and comes out swinging over any trivial slight.  She could have passed off the whole deal with The View's "Halloween mask" commentary, maybe chuckled or made a joke, and it would have been over and done with.  Instead, she went all "Wah, Wah, Wah" and let Fox lead her into battle, which accomplished nothing except making her look idiotic in addition to frozen.

If CF can't handle something that minor with humor and grace, how would she withstand the slings and arrows of being POTUS??  Christ on a cracker, Obama pffffft'd away the whole birther issue with barely a second thought, and there's probably been hundreds of other instances as well.  There's something about standing at the White House podium and making his attackers look like idiots that must be very satisfying indeed.

If Carly were a man, I'd say she needs to "grow a pair".  Come to think of it, as a woman, she may need to do the same.

• Love 9

Michelle  said, "combed out weave" referring to Vivica

I was so sure that Michele was going to say something about the texture of her hair..Michele tries so hard to be so funny, she comes off looking like a doofus. I wish that she would stop...It is embarrassing....I do like Michele at times, she can be good in articulating her thoughts..She needs to drop her comedy routine..I am over it...

• Love 5

People have always hooked up, it just wasn't broadcast for everyone to see or hear.

I shouldn't comment on this because I'm old, but doesn't the younger generation "hook up" more often without knowing much about who they are hooking up with than people did in the past? I'm thinking of Tinder and Ecupid and sexting. I was in college in the 70's and I went to a free wheeling liberal arts college, but I don't remember people sleeping with someone they had just met as much as they apparently  do now. I think the issue the writer was talking about was when rape is involved, but I didn't understand the conversation. Maybe someone could enlighten me? 

Call me old fashioned, but this makes me feel sad:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/08/tinder-hook-up-culture-end-of-dating

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 3

I've been searching high & low & can't seem to find the Republican Debate.  Does anyone know the network & time?

9:00 pm EST

Fox Business Network per Jezebel: http://theslot.jezebel.com/oh-my-brain-join-us-tonight-for-a-very-debatey-livebl-1741758540?trending_test_b&utm_expid=66866090-62.YkETBcIMTk2uX1oytHipyg.2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fjezebel.com%2F%3Ftrending_test_b

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 1

To be fair, CF has had her moments of laughter at another's expense, Granted, it wasn't about strangulation, but she pretty famously joked about Barbara Boxer's "so yesterday" hairdo way back when.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XtPMq9xxOY

I was giving some thought last evening about the two women candidates, HC and CF, and came to the following realization:

Carly Fiorina is just too damn thin-skinned to be running for POTUS or any elected office, for that matter. Hillary can be lambasted for everything from hair scrunchies to Bengazi and can sluff it off with that famous (infamous?) laugh of hers and that's the end of it. Carly takes it to heart, whines and stews, and comes out swinging over any trivial slight. She could have passed off the whole deal with The View's "Halloween mask" commentary, maybe chuckled or made a joke, and it would have been over and done with. Instead, she went all "Wah, Wah, Wah" and let Fox lead her into battle, which accomplished nothing except making her look idiotic in addition to frozen.

If CF can't handle something that minor with humor and grace, how would she withstand the slings and arrows of being POTUS?? Christ on a cracker, Obama pffffft'd away the whole birther issue with barely a second thought, and there's probably been hundreds of other instances as well. There's something about standing at the White House podium and making his attackers look like idiots that must be very satisfying indeed.

If Carly were a man, I'd say she needs to "grow a pair". Come to think of it, as a woman, she may need to do the same.

She does it because she needs the exposure, even if it means playing the wounded, insulted victimized token female. Tying herself to The View publicity/media machine gets her in front of 2-3 million people who may not follow politics or watch the debates. It's free publicity. It's not a great strategy, but as long as she's hovering at 3%-4% in the polls it's one of the few things she has as her campaign runs out of money and steam.

• Love 8

The debate is on channel 130 on my Comcast.  

It appears to be scheduled for re-run at 10 pm out west on the same Fox Business Channel, which I guess is 1 am eastern standard time (in case anyone who missed it wants to tape it).  

Rubio mentioned Candy Crush, and how fast it took off online.  I am sure Raven will be all giddy about that tomorrow. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3

I watch all the time but wonder.....is this the first time Raven has mentioned Black Lives Matter today? And then tries to interject it in several instances......

JMO - but she always seems to be so far behind current events, doesn't understand them, and tries to interject them to show us......something.

• Love 5

Finally catching up on today's show.  Hot Topics, the University of Missouri.   Raven says she's "surprised that HASHTAG Black lives Matter wasn't there" 

Huh?   Black lives matter refers to Black deaths at the hands of the police.   NOT racism on a college campus.  But What does it mean to say "Hashtag black lives matter"  wasn't there?  That's not a thing or a person, it's a Twitter label.   How is a # supposed to show up at a protest?  

Raven is what?  30? She talks like girls I know who are in 8th grade. 

• Love 7

Michelle spoke up about the ridiculousness of Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving.

It always freaks me out when Christians talk about the "War on Christmas" when "their" holiday is almost 3 months long.

Personally I see the "Christmas Season" as being disrespectful to Christianity.... it is just a time of year for money grabbing and the gimmie gimmie gimmie of the holidays

I like Christmas, but I also like Halloween, and it's annoying to have a deadline of Oct 15 or so to buy anything Halloween around here before it gets shoved aside for Christmas lights. ;P

• Love 2