Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/09/15

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Eh...that hooking up segment was just another dumb young 'un who thinks they've invented something that's been around since forever.

When I was in college in the 1970s, all the underage students were officially wards of the state, including me (I went to a state school). My all-girls dorm was referred to as the Virgin Vault, and it was pretty restrictive (one needed to use a key on the common doors to get in, AND out).

However, it did NOT preclude a van with a waterbed in it from being parked outside on the street 24/7, just off state property. And that van was constantly in motion, if you get my drift.

No, college hookups are nothing new.....

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 3

Didn't someone on the Tues. show say that "girls" today feel entitled to be safe, even if naked in bed with a stranger?  Yes, you should be, but c'mon!!  Back in the day, all we wanted was immunity from molestation if we wore minis - how quaint. 

• Love 4

The Whoopster (& Joy) piled on Paula for saying she thought of her old boyfriend when she heard a certain Def Leppard song.  They said she shouldn't say things like that on the air & Whoopi said it would come back to bite her.  WTF.  Ms. TMI telling Paula what's "appropriate".  Gawd.

• Love 13

Could someone on the View panel PLEASE recognize that saying you want to "reach right through the TV and strangle someone"  is not really a threat, but just a way of saying somebody makes you furious?    The man did not say he wanted to wait outside Fiorina's house and attack her, he used a common idiom that people say when they're mad at someone on TV.

Because, outside of possibly a Sci Fi show, nobody has actually been harmed by anyone strangling them through a TV screen. 

ETA:  I think Hillary laughed for the same reason I laugh when I hear that phrase.  I visualize a person actually reaching through a TV to hurt someone, and then I wonder how the crew on Law & Order, o any other cop show, would solve that murder.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 12

Imo saying, "Id like to reach through the tv and strangle her" is very different than "I'd like to strangle her."  True, in retrospect, HC may gained  many points by not laughing and/or saying something to the dude. Whoever said that HC was caught off guard made me sick. A POTUS needs to be ready to be caught off guard.

Faris  probably stepped in it with Def Leopard or however you spell it. She should not have said that about her ex on TV imo even if she had said it to her husband in private.,,, no matter how not-jealous she claims he is. Jesus this woman sells out her family members like her kid crying over being bullied just for a sound byte. Whoopi telling Faris that she doesn't know her own husband was absurd though. And outing him on the housework, cooking, and "babysitting" his own children.... yikes.

I hate Michele's genital jokes and Im no prude. If they were funny, I'd be on board; but they're so not (imo).

What was that crap about a website for the highest bidder for a date? I thought that's what a hooker does.

Flove Margaret Cho.

Raven tooting her own horn., Shocker.

Sheesh Raven, even if you did forget the toilet  paper, why cant you flush the toilet? Gross.

• Love 3

The Whoopster (& Joy) piled on Paula for saying she thought of her old boyfriend when she heard a certain Def Leppard song.  They said she shouldn't say things like that on the air & Whoopi said it would come back to bite her.  WTF.  Ms. TMI telling Paula what's "appropriate".  Gawd.

Well, Whoopi is a relationship expert after all.  She did write the book.

• Love 10

I thought the show was a little better today till Whoopi started in on Paula. Jeez, she must be threatened by her. It must be exhausting, Whoopi, to know it all. Including other people's marriages while you have never had a successful one. Whoopi does get in a few good points and seems to be working harder so she must know she'll be gone soon. Hopefully that rumor is true. Knowing this show, they'll sign her to 3 more years.

• Love 6

Missed today's show. Tomorrow's looks disappointing. Jeanine Pirro? Really? I remember how much Geddie liked her as the go to legal expert, but I was hoping for something different for the show after his departure.  

Edited by merriebreeze

The Whoopster (& Joy) piled on Paula for saying she thought of her old boyfriend when she heard a certain Def Leppard song. They said she shouldn't say things like that on the air & Whoopi said it would come back to bite her. WTF. Ms. TMI telling Paula what's "appropriate". Gawd.

Def Leppard? Really?

I had to google the song. Interesting band history.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

At one point, Whoopi chastised all of them. She said something like, "That is not what I said. That's why we always talk over each other. Because we don't listen." I think that's what I heard. I don't want her to be sick, but I would like a day off from her.

• Love 3

Missed today's show. Tomorrow's looks disappointing. Jeanine Pirro? Really? I remember how much Geddie liked her as the go to legal expert, but I was hoping for something different for the show after his departure.  

merriebreeze~

Tomorrow may be just the day to watch Jeanine Pirro.  She's on her tour for the book she wrote about Robert Durst's amazing crime  story.  JP was directly involved in his saga.  For True Crime buffs. his story is high on the "Must Follow" list!  I remember being floored when watching a 20/20 or Dateline, and JP popped up in the story in a major way.  While she's usually annoying, this might be an interesting segment tomorrow.  Let's hope...

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 4

At one point, Whoopi chastised all of them. She said something like, "That is not what I said. That's why we always talk over each other. Because we don't listen." I think that's what I heard. I don't want her to be sick, but I would like a day off from her.

Yes!  I thought I heard her say that.  Well, a little cough, a little sneeze...

• Love 2

I'm guessing this is the topic Whoopi refused to talk about -

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/nyregion/public-housing-nationwide-may-be-subject-to-smoking-ban.html?smid=nytnow-share&smprod=nytnow&_r=0

Downright insubordinate. 

The show had tweeted earlier:

"Should the federal government have the right to ban smoking in public housing? Tell us—we’ll discuss soon."

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 1

I wish that Paula wouldn't have said if it weren't for her faith she and her husband might not be still together. Raven told her she was sneaky when Paula said she was stubborn. Whoopi gave Raven a look. What? Do the two of them think she had something to do with Nicolle not being there this season. I hate that Paula feels the need to try to fit in with them. I think the only one that gives Paula any respect at all is Joy.

• Love 3

I'm guessing this is the topic Whoopi refused to talk about -

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/nyregion/public-housing-nationwide-may-be-subject-to-smoking-ban.html?smid=nytnow-share&smprod=nytnow&_r=0

Downright insubordinate. 

The show had tweeted earlier:

"Should the federal government have the right to ban smoking in public housing? Tell us—we’ll discuss soon."

Didn't see the show but my answer would be YES!

I thought the show was a little better today till Whoopi started in on Paula. Jeez, she must be threatened by her. It must be exhausting, Whoopi, to know it all. Including other people's marriages while you have never had a successful one. Whoopi does get in a few good points and seems to be working harder so she must know she'll be gone soon. Hopefully that rumor is true. Knowing this show, they'll sign her to 3 more years.

I did notice paula gets bullied by Whoopi though paula had been in the news business for awhile so she doesn't let it phase her. Joy is nicer to her, right?

After reading here, I started watching yesterday's show but after watching Whoopi give her opinion on the Trump (or something I can't remember) didn't even take a breath without starting the next topic - then seemed to remember that four other people were on this show so she stopped, backtracked and let them talk.   This show ( or maybe just Whoopi)  never gets any better. 

So I ended up just skipping to this part where Paula talks about how songs and sounds can really trigger memories.    I agree with you all that Whoopi was totally ridiculous jumping on Paula ; I didn't see a single thing wrong with what Paula said.  I hear songs that remind of high school/college memories all the time and yes that sometimes includes old boyfriends.  I would guess Paula would have a better gauge on her 20+ year relationship than Whoopi would have on ANYONE'S relationship.  And I was surprised to see Joy back Whoopi up on it.   

I really like how Paula keeps her cool and doesn't back down when Whoopi's crazy gets in her face. 

• Love 8

After reading here, I started watching yesterday's show but after watching Whoopi give her opinion on the Trump (or something I can't remember) didn't even take a breath without starting the next topic - then seemed to remember that four other people were on this show so she stopped, backtracked and let them talk.   This show ( or maybe just Whoopi)  never gets any better. 

So I ended up just skipping to this part where Paula talks about how songs and sounds can really trigger memories.    I agree with you all that Whoopi was totally ridiculous jumping on Paula ; I didn't see a single thing wrong with what Paula said.  I hear songs that remind of high school/college memories all the time and yes that sometimes includes old boyfriends.  I would guess Paula would have a better gauge on her 20+ year relationship than Whoopi would have on ANYONE'S relationship.  And I was surprised to see Joy back Whoopi up on it.   

I really like how Paula keeps her cool and doesn't back down when Whoopi's crazy gets in her face. 

I like Paula now and there is something endearing about her. I love the fact that she does not look for Whoopie's approval, see Nicole for further proof. Her constant ass kissing of Whoopie did not give her job security..I like that Paula  does not back down for the movie stah..I do notice that the other panelist look down on her for her religion..I think Paula is very fair in her religious views..She is not a radical like Bitsy and Sherrie, who only see life from their perspective and their religion..

• Love 8

I didn't think I was going to like Paula, religion/politics & all, but I do.  She says what she thinks & leads with her heart, which is not common at that table.

I watched Joy's show last night.  Not bad, but definitely not appointment TV.

I really liked Nicolle until she started ass kissing the whoop.

..... and fan-girling out when celebrities appeared, + + + a myriad of other things that wore out her welcome on my TV.

• Love 12

I agree Apprentice.  I think Paula "represents" her religious beliefs very well and from what I've seen does a great job of respecting other viewpoints.   

If Whoopi had ever been interested in keeping a marriage together (she's said she's not)  then she might understand what Paula meant by, "we should/could  have been divorced many times already"  especially if that marriage include children, lol.   In my opinion,  Paula noting that it was her and her husband's shared faith that kept them together during the tough times spoke directly to the "topic" at hand which was something like,  "Would you convert for your spouse; is it important to share the same faith?"   and she answered it honestly for her relationship.  

But frankly I don't think it would matter what Paula said, Whoopi would find fault with it.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 17
I watched Joy's show last night.  Not bad, but definitely not appointment TV.

I watched it too.  Not a Wendy Williams fan...got the impression Joy isn't either.  It may be more fun to watch when she really enjoys her guest(s).

• Love 5
I hear songs that remind of high school/college memories all the time and yes that sometimes includes old boyfriends.

I agree, CosmoCrush.  I got married in 1963, but in 1960-61 a previous boyfriend and I had an "our song," Will You Still Love me by the Shirelles.  I still think of him fondly and (often) mention him when I hear this song.  (Oh...divorced in 1983).  

• Love 4

Having warm memories when hearing a song from the past is great. Wanting to call an ex bf and announcing that feeling on tv while married to someone else is another thing.. imo/

I don't remember her being specific!?  Did I miss something?  I'm sure she said an old boyfriend, not Tommy from first year college.  Being reminded & wanting to call someone is two very different things.  Just sayin'.

• Love 3

I watched it too.  Not a Wendy Williams fan...got the impression Joy isn't either.  It may be more fun to watch when she really enjoys her guest(s).

I watched too and even though I like WW on her own show I thought it had potential  before WW showed up and took over the entire conversation.  

Having warm memories when hearing a song from the past is great. Wanting to call an ex bf and announcing that feeling on tv while married to someone else is another thing.. imo/

But I don't think that's what Paula said.  She said there is a Def Leppard song [Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad] that reminds her of making out with her high school boyfriend.   Whoopi thought that was bizzare.  She also said she thinks love songs are bad for people - huh?)  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

I watched too and even though I like WW on her own show I thought it had potential  before WW showed up and took over the entire conversation.  

But I don't think that's what Paula said.  She said there is a Def Leppard song [Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad] that reminds her of making out with her high school boyfriend.   Whoopi thought that was bizzare.  She also said she thinks love songs are bad for people - huh?)  

Ok then; My bad. I thought she said that the song made her want to call her ex bf. Ooops Sorry.

I don't remember her being specific!?  Did I miss something?  I'm sure she said an old boyfriend, not Tommy from first year college.  Being reminded & wanting to call someone is two very different things.  Just sayin'.

I misheard. OOps miracle ear. Sorry

• Love 4

I wish that Paula wouldn't have said if it weren't for her faith she and her husband might not be still together. Raven told her she was sneaky when Paula said she was stubborn. Whoopi gave Raven a look. What? Do the two of them think she had something to do with Nicolle not being there this season. I hate that Paula feels the need to try to fit in with them. I think the only one that gives Paula any respect at all is Joy.

I’m glad Paula does try to be as nice as possible. Not only is it endearing and professional, it really just puts a bigger spotlight on Whoopi’s issues when Whoopi acts like a lunatic to someone who is being polite and agreeable.

I don't really mind Paula talking about her religious views where it concerns her personal life, like her marriage. It's just people like Candace and Sherri who make every. single. topic an advert for their religion that get on my nerves.

About Late Night Joy, I thought Wendy brought the show down because she never seemed to be herself, she had a front on completely, and you could tell she didn't like Joy or the others too much (my guess is differences on just about any topic, which is why I love Joy and can't stand Wendy). Besides, Wendy is one of those women who don't seem to like other women very much. At least Sherri didn't bring down the atmosphere the week before.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7

What?

I figured Put Some Sugar on Me.

I think it's almost always awkward bringing up past romances. I'm more like, I used to love this song!! And relate to the era rather than the person. I don't particularly want to hear about his pasts so assume same.

• Love 2

What's up with the Whoopi face masks? Smells of desperacy (tm Bitsy) to me.  I am not on a Whoopi vendetta, truly. But I do believe the show has really gone down with her at the helm. In a way, I kinda want her daughter's show to succeed (fat chance there) so Whoopi can leave The View. I think the only reason she's hanging on is because of her financial obligations.  She's miserable there. C'mon, decision-makers, spare us.  

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 8

What's up with the Whoopi face masks? Smells of desperacy (tm Bitsy) to me

Yeah, I almost forgot about that.  Are we really supposed to believe that a group of young tourists brought Whoopi faces with them and then were just coincidentally seated in the only section spared blocked from seeing Whoopi's face?    Whoopi may have won some awards for acting but pretending these weren't handed out before the show was lame. 

Or maybe, just maybe she really thought those young people were such huge fans they came all the way to NYC and brought their Whoopi masks with them because she does have that kind of an ego and because she never prepares for the show.   If anyone needed further evidence that Whoopi doesn't breeze in until show time (and therefore the first time she sees Hot Topics is when she's trying to read the teleprompter)  all they need to do is watch today when Whoopi starts to read a new topic and then not only refuses to read it but announces she's not going to read it (all while grinning crazily) rather than just going on the to next thing. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Tomorrow is The Whoopster's birthday show.  Pass thanks.

Her running up into the audience to the people holding pictures of her was so insincere & drummed up.  Blech!!

I can't believe how totally ignorant, in every way, shape & form, Raven is!!!

Michelle grabs every opportunity to swing the attention her way.  Gawd!!!

• Love 7

Tomorrow is The Whoopster's birthday show.  Pass thanks.

Her running up into the audience to the people holding pictures of her was so insincere & drummed up.  Blech!!

What happened to Whoopi Free Fridays?   I wonder if it's taped tomorrow too since I highly doubt Whoopi would come in on her birthday just to celebrate.   I think last Friday's show was taped too.  The five live shows a week lasted almost two months.  

• Love 4

I agree, CosmoCrush.  I got married in 1963, but in 1960-61 a previous boyfriend and I had an "our song," Will You Still Love me by the Shirelles.  I still think of him fondly and (often) mention him when I hear this song.  (Oh...divorced in 1983).  

I thought of you while watching Scandal tonight.  Guess what they played at the end?  LOVE that song!!!

• Love 4

Perhaps Whoopi is on Fri's right now is because either she loves basking in attention, doesn't want to miss out on "gets" or because they are in sweeps. Actually....that many like Fri Whoopi-free and Joy doing a good job....better than hers moderating.

Perhaps Whoopi is on Fri's right now is because either she loves basking in attention, doesn't want to miss out on "gets" or because they are in sweeps. Actually....that many like Fri Whoopi-free and Joy doing a good job....better than hers moderating.

• Love 3

I thought of you while watching Scandal tonight.  Guess what they played at the end?  LOVE that song!!!

I saw that, too. I've heard it before, but definitely a beautiful song.

I wouldn't doubt Whoopi would actually make the effort to show up live on Friday if it's for a birthday bash where everyone will bask in awe at the feet of the Great Whoopi. I'm sure they have the same clips from Ghost, Sister Act, and TCP ready to go.

• Love 3

I can't stand the humble Whoopi - so insincere and entitled at this point when she hasn't really done much in a long time.

Well, except bully, point, defend celebrities (in some cases...ie not Viola Davis). Actually even Stacy London now that she is a somewhat regular - forget WG's outrage at SL's take on her dress at at some award thing.

And her jealousy of R O'Donnell. During a horrid time in RO's life. Or belittling Perez.

• Love 3

Who were those girls in the audience with the "Whoopi faces?"   Because I don't buy it for a minute.  There is absolutely nothing about Whoopi Goldberg that is exciting or meaningful to girls that age.  Is there?  Because I cannot imagine why they would have the slightest interest in her at all.

I smell a sorority prank.  At least I hope so.  Because if the young women of the world are buying the crap Whoopi Goldberg is selling, I fear for this nation.

• Love 5